Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E02: Man of Your Dreams

• Start Topic

56 minutes ago, possibilities said:

No idea how Trevor's power relates to his death, but I can imagine in life that he was the sort who was interested in "early adoption" of all new tech, and that Wall Street was early on the electronic bandwagon. 

Trevor's power doesn't really have anything to do with tech.  It's that he can physically touch/move things.  He is able to use it to type on a computer, one key at a time, very slowly.  But yes, I don't know how being able to move things relates to his death.  I've wondered that before.  If he had the ability to turn non-alcoholic beverages into beer, or random powder into cocaine...  now, that would be death related! 

• Like 4
16 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Jay was right about the TV. You want it at eye level when you are sitting or you would strain your neck. It would have been especially high up over that huge fireplace.

It also ruins the esthetics of your fireplace. The fireplace should be for gazing into a crackling fire, not staring at a TV mounted above it. I don't care if the house was built in the 21st century or during colonial times. That's not where the TV belongs.

Besides, the heat from the fireplace will destroy the TV.

• Like 13
  • Applause 3
15 hours ago, Bastet said:

LOL at Hetty’s latest attempt at getting sucked off being to hook up with Thor

I just can't imagine Hetty being happy after being sucked off. Does she know she doesn't get to be in charge of everything?

At least at the mansion, she has a few livings or ghosts she can order around. She is not going enjoy being someplace where she doesn't at least get to call some of the shots.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, eel2178 said:

I just can't imagine Hetty being happy after being sucked off. Does she know she doesn't get to be in charge of everything?

At least at the mansion, she has a few livings or ghosts she can order around. She is not going enjoy being someplace where she doesn't at least get to call some of the shots.

Why isn’t hetty worried about reuniting with Elias instead if she does move on? All the ghosts were terrified when they realized that was an option. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
46 minutes ago, Neptune said:

Why isn’t hetty worried about reuniting with Elias instead if she does move on? All the ghosts were terrified when they realized that was an option. 

I don't think Elias is in the same place that Hetty is going, hopefully.

• Like 11
1 minute ago, Fosca said:

I don't think Elias is in the same place that Hetty is going, hopefully.

but Hetty can’t be sure which direction she could be headed.  Even perfect Pete was almost taken with Elias.  The ghosts have no way of knowing which way it could for them. What happened to Thomas? You’d think Elias would have mentioned if any of their kids ended down with him. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
9 hours ago, Harvey said:

Question: why was Isaac excited about it being wednesday and sorting mail? Did I miss a joke is the joke that he is excited about such a mundane task because in his time receiving letters was a bigger deal?

I went back and watched that scene.  Sass asked Isaac what he was doing, and he said that he was following Sam for the day.  Then he said he was going to switch to Thursdays, but Wednesday is the day Sam flirts with Kevin, the delivery man. 

I'm sure things are pretty boring as a ghost, so watching Sam go through her daily routine might be entertaining.  Isaac was impressed with how Amazon Prime could deliver something in one day.  I wouldn't want to be a ghost who is stuck in one place, but can you imagine how fascinating it would be to see how our society, technology, medicine, etc. changes over as many years as Isaac has been a ghost?  

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
2 hours ago, possibilities said:

No idea how Trevor's power relates to his death, but I can imagine in life that he was the sort who was interested in "early adoption" of all new tech, and that Wall Street was early on the electronic bandwagon. 

Hm. In his profession as a Wall Street broker, Trevor might have been considered a "mover and a shaker." Maybe that's where his power comes from? 😉

(The more likely scenario is that his character is simply a 1 to 1 counterpart to Julian in the UK version, who was likewise pantless and able to move objects.)

2 minutes ago, Neptune said:

but Hetty can’t be sure which direction she could be headed.  Even perfect Pete was almost taken with Elias.  The ghosts have no way of knowing which way it could for them. What happened to Thomas? You’d think Elias would have mentioned if any of their kids ended down with him. 

I would assume Thomas is in The Bad Place considering he murdered someone. Interesting Elias didn't mention him, but unlike Elias or Hetty, Thomas did not become a ghost, so wherever he went, he went right away. Elias had only been in hell a short time before returning so perhaps he hasn't seen Thomas. Yet. (We really don't know how this works. Neither do they for that matter.)

Hell is mostly e-mails, and Zooms that should have been e-mails.

• Like 4
  • LOL 5
5 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I'm not sure how Sass being a storyteller translates into his ability to invade people's dreams. I don't know how he managed to discover this ability either. The only thing I can come up with is that it's some sort of Native American superstition he heard about when he was alive.

Like others have said, dreams are stories we make up and Sass loves stories.  And I don't think a lot of Native American lore is "superstition" either.  Who is to say one can't dream walk.

4 hours ago, chaifan said:

Well, I don't know how his power would have manifested pre-electricity.  would it have just been a static shock?  Since electricity has only been around for 250 or so years

Well technically lightning IS electricity.  Controlling the electricity is more recent but it has been around forever.

1 hour ago, Neptune said:

I can't imagine Hetty being the least worried she would go to hell.  She has a very high opinion of herself after all.

As for Trevor's power which is officially telekinesis; well the newest-arrived ghost on the British version had that power too so it carried over to the US version I assume. 

Like both ghosts (Trevor/Julian) tried to move the vase to scare Sam/Allison in their pilot episodes and were both late in doing so.  They (the British) wanted that bit so I suppose that's why they gave a ghost the telekinesis power. 

In both series they are the only ones that knew about the internet in life though Julian's internet was more primitive since he came from a few years earlier.  But as such they would be the most attracted to using that power to explore the internet.  (Pete/Pat were a year or two before private citizens could use the "world wide web" being more from the floppy disk era).

Also the oldest ghosts (Thor/Robin) both had the electricity thing too.  Sometimes you have to look elsewhere to see how things get started in the US version.

• Like 5
4 hours ago, chaifan said:

I'd also love to know how Sass found out he had this power.  I think a hilarious reveal would be something like him wandering around a campground of sleeping people, realizing how bad people smelled back in the days before regular baths (and washing clothes) was a thing, and saying something like "boy, you guys stink.  couldn't you all take a bath once in a while?"  And then the next day,they're all at the pond scrubbing down. 

Sass inadvertently inventing hygiene? That just might beat “The Old Man and the Sea” in terms of value to the humankind.  But he said that he has to gain the person’s trust and show up in their dreams repeatedly before being able to influence their dreams, and the person has to be susceptible.  How would one even discover that he can show up in someone’s dream?

43 minutes ago, Chit Chat said:

I'm sure things are pretty boring as a ghost, so watching Sam go through her daily routine might be entertaining.

Poor Isaac.  Even when he was alive, they had to entertain themselves by things like staring at James Madison’s hunting print for an entire burn of a candle.  Or thinking that they are inventing democracy (amongst Europeans).   

I laughed at Thor’s enthusiastic account of ripping a pig apart.  “What a lot of people don't know is pig has weak spot in spine. And once you locate spot, well, you can just rip it in half. Just like goat!”  Just like goat.

• Like 4
  • LOL 6

I can imagine Sass spending time watching people sleep, and taking an interest in their lives. What else was he to do with his time? Trapped in the house, in particular, I can see him hovering around and maybe he even tried to touch a sleeping person and then found himself suddenly seeing his thoughts adopted the next day by whoever he was spending his time with. 

• Like 11
  • Useful 1

I really liked this episode!  It's good to have it back.  I'm happy that they filled us in on Sass's ghostly power.  That was a good one!  

Poor Pete, he still has sleep apnea!  Sleeping on his back is really bad for that as the jaw tends to drop down and block the airway.  He can't lay on his side with the arrow through his neck.  That is truly hell! 

• Like 6
10 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I'm surprised we haven't seen one. There's one of Elias. And they even had photographs back then. Seems like Hetty and Elias would have been the types to have one taken. Remember how she bragged about having a telephone (despite there being nobody to call)?

It was so weird seeing Román Zaragoza out of costume. 

I REALLY liked him in the referee outfit :D. He looked good! 

I have no doubt there's bound to be a portrait or two of Hetty lurking somewhere in the house. Maybe we haven't seen it yet because she doesn't like the way the portrait turned out or something? 

5 hours ago, Snow Apple said:

I wonder if Sass ever went into Hetty's dreams when she was alive. The others died as guests of the house and probably never slept there, but Hetty lived there since she was a child. Perhaps Sass didn't since he watched her grow up so it didn't feel right, but what about messing with her husband's mind? 

...oh, my god, I LOVE this idea. There was that bit in last season's Halloween episode when Hetty was talking about having a seance with some friends when she was alive, and she realized halfway through telling the story that all the flickering lights and awful smells were Thor and Isaac messing with her and her friends :p. So it's certainly plausible that Sasappis might've found some way to mess with/affect things involving her and/or Elias, too. 

Maybe his power will somehow connect in some way to whatever events lead to her death? That could be really interesting, especially if he was trying to influence her dreams as a means to warn her about whatever led to her death before it happened, and she didn't heed the warning for some reason. 

• Like 4
  • Useful 1

Pete should sleep sitting up, in a comfortable padded chair.

Or, they should build him a bed with a hole for the arrow so he can sleep on his side. LOL. 

He's shockingly cheerful for someone who doesn't get any rest, but I suppose ghosts have different physiology than livings.

• Like 6
  • LOL 1
2 hours ago, Chit Chat said:

I went back and watched that scene.  Sass asked Isaac what he was doing, and he said that he was following Sam for the day.  Then he said he was going to switch to Thursdays, but Wednesday is the day Sam flirts with Kevin, the delivery man. 

I also theorized that another reason Isaac picked Wednesday, alongside the whole thing with Kevin the delivery man, is because, if I recall rightly, Nigel has his ant club on Wednesdays. So Isaac probably figures this is a good way to keep himself busy while Nigel's otherwise occupied with his club :p. 

1 hour ago, shura said:

Poor Isaac.  Even when he was alive, they had to entertain themselves by things like staring at James Madison’s hunting print for an entire burn of a candle.  Or thinking that they are inventing democracy (amongst Europeans).   

The "inventing democracy" bit made me laugh. Especiallly with the way Sasappis cleared his throat . 

I loved Isaac's line about Madison, too. Great delivery from Brandon Scott Jones there :D. 

• Like 4
28 minutes ago, possibilities said:

Or, they should build him a bed with a hole for the arrow so he can sleep on his side. LOL. 

He's shockingly cheerful for someone who doesn't get any rest, but I suppose ghosts have different physiology than livings.

Oooh, they should get Pete a recliner!  A big, comfy La-Z-Boy!

• Like 2
  • Applause 3
48 minutes ago, possibilities said:

Okay, my head is exploding, trying to understand whether a ghostly arrow is impeded by real life furniture. Back to the ghost manual! 

Umm… not finding anything helpful…

• LOL 8
14 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Okay, my head is exploding, trying to understand whether a ghostly arrow is impeded by real life furniture.

It seems anything attached to them is just like their body -- able to go through walls, but not furniture.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
1 hour ago, Chit Chat said:

Poor Pete, he still has sleep apnea!

How can someone who doesn't need to breathe have sleep apnea?

Don't all the ghosts have permanent apnea?

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
10 hours ago, chaifan said:

OK, so we're having a seance to get Flower back.   I'm still hoping she didn't really get sucked off, and she walks into the room during the seance.  Everyone will think the seance worked, but really she never left. 

Yes. Perfect.

7 hours ago, chaifan said:

Well, I don't know how his power would have manifested pre-electricity.  would it have just been a static shock?  Since electricity has only been around for 250 or so years, Sass has had at least 750 years on Thor to learn of/develop his power.

Probably Thor's early electric currents mostly just started fires, just like lightning does IRL and like he did with the gazebo.
But he might have shocked someone for some reason.

• Like 3
59 minutes ago, eel2178 said:

It's like them being able to have sex with each other, it doesn't make sense!  I don't mind them taking a few liberties in this regard though.  It keeps things interesting. 

• Like 4

If Flower returns through a method other than a seance, we will still not know who it was who ascended in the beam of light. I think it would be really funny, though, if she was stuck in the water heater or wandering around outside somewhere. So I'm open to wahtever shenanigans they are going to give us.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

Unpopular Opinion: I really don't like Sam. Like at all. I enjoyed this episode--I liked it more than the series premier--but this episode just hammered in why I don't like Sam. I'm glad that it was mentioned how much Jay does for everyone and how little he gets in return. I can(not) believe how easily she was persuaded into manipulating Jay over a TV. She pouted and apologized but she seems to do this all the time. 

• Like 6
5 hours ago, possibilities said:

I don't think we know Pete's ghost power, either.

I believe in one episode in season 1 he was suppose to be able to look inside some bag or purse or something without it being opened so I thought that was it.  But if it was they haven't used that in any script since. 

• Thanks 1
  • Useful 1
3 hours ago, Skooma said:

I believe in one episode in season 1 he was suppose to be able to look inside some bag or purse or something without it being opened so I thought that was it.  But if it was they haven't used that in any script since. 

That wasn't a ghost power, he was just sticking his head into the purse like any of the ghosts could have done to see what was inside.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 1
8 hours ago, hiisa said:

I can(not) believe how easily she was persuaded into manipulating Jay over a TV. She pouted and apologized but she seems to do this all the time. 

She's done it a few times and it makes me mad when she does that to Jay, but I still like her character.  It's like having the Devil on one shoulder tempting you, while you wrestle with doing the right thing.  She needs to work on that!!

• Like 9

Román Zaragoza looks like he gives good hugs, based on the last dream of Jay’s. Also, the ref’s shirt was doing a lot to show off his arms. 

In terms of plot, I do really need to see Sam do something really nice for Jay. Not in terms of gifts either, but go to bat for him the way he always does for her and the ghosts. I don’t really know what, exactly, but he gives the most of anyone in this cast, and they really need to give him some of the love they so freely get from him. 

• Like 8
13 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Probably Thor's early electric currents mostly just started fires, just like lightning does IRL and like he did with the gazebo.

There were lights in the gazebo, and Thor caused those to short out, which started the fire.  So still, electricity was involved.  I don't know if we've seen Thor do anything that hasn't directly involved electricity.  But it would be funny that if you walked through Thor you got a static shock. 

• Like 3
14 hours ago, Phebemarie said:

I wondered if they were writing Isaac's character to mirror his UK counterpoint, who is a lot more by the book and take charge.  

Oh, yeah, he's definitely supposted to be similar to the Captain - both military guys who also hid their sexuality for a long time (though in the U.S. version, Isaac gets to be in a relationship with the man he likes. I don't know if the UK version had something like that for the Captain, I haven't made it that far yet), early on in the series he used to often refer to the others as his "troops", all of that. He's loosened up a litlte more these last couple seasons as he's slowly become more comfortable with himself and the others, but yeah, the similarities are definitely there. 

He's also like Mary in that they both have a strong stench that follows them around/people smell if they walk through them :p. Isaac still feels the effects of dysentery even now, Pete has his sleep apnea...if I knew I still had to deal with that kind of crap even after being dead I'd be annoyed, too!

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
18 hours ago, Skooma said:

And I don't think a lot of Native American lore is "superstition" either.  Who is to say one can't dream walk.

I appreciate the distinction as I meant no disrespect, but superstition and lore are fairly interchangeable. And while the concept of "dream walking" isn't specific to Native Americans, it is often associated with them. Technically speaking, however, what Sass is doing isn't dream walking. (Jay leaving his body while dreaming would be dream walking.) 

All that said, given Sass's heritage and love of stories, I can easily imagine that the ability of ghosts  to influence dreams is something he learned as part of his lore while he was alive and something he experimented with as a ghost himself. Either that or it's something Thor suggested as part of Viking lore. Either way, it doesn't seem like something he could have stumbled on by accident.

17 hours ago, HurricaneVal said:

Do we know Hetty's ghost power?

It's possible her power really is the ability to banish ghosts to hell - but only those who deserve it. Which is why it worked on Elias but not on Trevor.

How come ghosts can walk through walls but not fall through the floor? The don't know. There's no manual!

• Like 1
5 hours ago, ZuluQueenOfDwarves said:

Román Zaragoza looks like he gives good hugs, based on the last dream of Jay’s. Also, the ref’s shirt was doing a lot to show off his arms. 

In terms of plot, I do really need to see Sam do something really nice for Jay. Not in terms of gifts either, but go to bat for him the way he always does for her and the ghosts. I don’t really know what, exactly, but he gives the most of anyone in this cast, and they really need to give him some of the love they so freely get from him. 

I think Sam agreeing to build a restaurant for Jay is really nice. We don't know if she agreed with the tv purchase Jay bought expensive sneakers without telling her.

• Like 3
16 hours ago, hiisa said:

Unpopular Opinion: I really don't like Sam. Like at all. I enjoyed this episode--I liked it more than the series premier--but this episode just hammered in why I don't like Sam. I'm glad that it was mentioned how much Jay does for everyone and how little he gets in return. I can(not) believe how easily she was persuaded into manipulating Jay over a TV. She pouted and apologized but she seems to do this all the time. 

She does do this all the time, doesn’t she?  And I can’t remember, was she ever different?  Ever since she accepted her ability to see ghosts, she just dove into their rich world and became all about them, at Jay’s expense.  Yes, she did set up a DnD game with the ghosts for him and suggested/agreed to build a restaurant, but those things kind of feel like throwing Jay a bone so he doesn’t become too unhappy and interfere with whatever Sam has going on with the ghosts.  She just doesn’t come across like she is there for Jay, really.

Sure, Sam interacting with the ghosts is the show.  But Alison on the British Ghosts did not come across this way, she was totally there for Mike (in the two seasons that I have seen, at least).  It’s probably because there Alison and Mike were actually struggling and persevering together, whereas here it doesn’t really feel like Sam and Jay are struggling. One is a freelance writer, the other a gifted chef, and they are pretty much enjoying life, even though they mention once in a while that they have no money. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Annber03 said:

Oh, yeah, he's definitely supposted to be similar to the Captain - both military guys who also hid their sexuality for a long time (though in the U.S. version, Isaac gets to be in a relationship with the man he likes. I don't know if the UK version had something like that for the Captain, I haven't made it that far yet), early on in the series he used to often refer to the others as his "troops", all of that. He's loosened up a litlte more these last couple seasons as he's slowly become more comfortable with himself and the others, but yeah, the similarities are definitely there. 

He's also like Mary in that they both have a strong stench that follows them around/people smell if they walk through them :p. Isaac still feels the effects of dysentery even now, Pete has his sleep apnea...if I knew I still had to deal with that kind of crap even after being dead I'd be annoyed, too!

Isaac also took over part of Julian's role since both fancy themselves as political astute movers and shakers hob--nobbing and name dropping about same.  And Trevor (Julian's counter with the telekinesis and the missing pants) took on part of Thomas with the crush on Sam/Allison.  The only really straight-up one-on-one was Pete/Pat (very similar) and maybe Hetty/Fanny but Fanny was older and more rigid and fussy and not anywhere near as strong a personality as Hetty.

• Like 2
19 minutes ago, Skooma said:

Isaac also took over part of Julian's role since both fancy themselves as political astute movers and shakers hob--nobbing and name dropping about same.  

He's also similar to Thomas in that they're both envious of famous men who are far more revered and better remembered than them :p. 

• Like 2

I think anything is possible as far as how Sass discovered his power. Could've been part of his tribal lore, or maybe he was watching a living sleep and suddenly found himself inside their dream and interacting with them. As he began to do it more, he realized he could sometimes influence them. Or, his gift grew over time. Its had over 700 years to evolve. Oh! Sass can help Jay with the ghost handbook via his dreams! Sass is a fountain of information and I think it would be really nice if Jay was able to find out things about the ghosts that Sam doesn't even know. And both she and Pete get kinda jealous and have to learn how to share. Sass is a storyteller, and I think Jay would absolutely love hearing him weave tales from the house's history and be completely enthralled. Sam would be all bitchy about why Sass never came to her dreams and he tells her duh, they can just talk but actually she's kinda boring and self absorbed and Jay is a way better listener. 🤷🏽‍♀️😁

The important thing for me is that this opens up all kinds of story potential now, for everyone. This is really gonna be fun. 

• Like 6
  • Love 1

It was a Sass episode but really would have liked Jay to find out Pete was trying to help him.  Pete is always the only one on Jay’s side. 

• Like 5
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

Did Sass not care or didn’t even consider that he could be friends with dream Jay? He just went immediately to manipulation.  He could have had all the pizzas and pepperoni he wanted by now if he just asked Jay. 

Wonder if Sass would be able to taste the dream food if Jay cooks in his dreams. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 3
23 minutes ago, Neptune said:

Did Sass not care or didn’t even consider that he could be friends with dream Jay? He just went immediately to manipulation.  He could have had all the pizzas and pepperoni he wanted by now if he just asked Jay. 

Maybe having out-“lived” many 100s of years of “livings” has made Sass wall himself off from getting emotionally involved with livings?

• Like 3
  • Sad 2
  • Useful 1
32 minutes ago, Neptune said:

Wonder if Sass would be able to taste the dream food if Jay cooks in his dreams. 

Ghosts can't eat that's why when they possess someone they eat what they want. Hetty ate new food in Jay's body and Thorfinn ate cod while possessing Sam. I'd love to know why Sass didn't influence Hetty not to marry Elias.

• Like 1
(edited)
54 minutes ago, kathyk2 said:

I'd love to know why Sass didn't influence Hetty not to marry Elias.

So many reasons…
For starters: Have you met Hetty?

Edited by shapeshifter
  • LOL 8
18 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

So many reasons…
For starters: Have you met Hetty?

I love Hetty she's my favorite character. We don't know how much Elias influenced her opinions. I don't think she would hate the Irish if Elias hadn't cheated on her with an Irish maid. I would love to see flashbacks to Hetty as a young woman.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1