Type keyword(s) to search

The 66th Annual Grammy Awards (2024)

• Start Topic

On 1/28/2024 at 4:52 PM, DanaK said:

Joni Mitchell will be performing for the first time at this year’s show

https://www.billboard.com/music/awards/joni-mitchell-perform-2024-grammy-awards-1235591010/

It was a beautiful performance, brought tears to my eyes.  Also, an emotional performance by Tracy Chapman, with Luke Combs.  

I thought Trevor Noah did an excellent job as Host...he was humorous without being mean,  he moved the show along, he bantered...he showed how a "Host" should Host.

• Like 13
31 minutes ago, BuckeyeLou said:

It was a beautiful performance, brought tears to my eyes.  Also, an emotional performance by Tracy Chapman, with Luke Combs.  

I thought Trevor Noah did an excellent job as Host...he was humorous without being mean,  he moved the show along, he bantered...he showed how a "Host" should Host.

Absolutely great performances. And it was emotional seeing Celine Dion presenting at the end; I’m a big fan of hers

Jay-Z accepting the Vanguard award, or whatever it was called, while lambasting the academy for never giving his wife Album of the Year was really something

• Like 7

With the site down, I missed being able to live-chat the ceremony here last night! It was a great show with many excellent performances. 

I wonder what Taylor Swift's plan was going to be for her new album announcement had she not won a Grammy. 🤔

• Like 3
  • Love 1

It was pretty funny seeing Meryl Streep trying to sneak back to her seat while Trevor talking at her table about her. Same when Taylor Swift disrupted his hosting to take her seat

• Like 5

Missed being here last night. Popped over to Reddit, but it’s a very unhappy place over there. Billy Joel was in fine form last night too! A great new song and a great way to close the show!!

• Like 4

…was pretty funny seeing Meryl Streep trying to sneak back to her seat while Trevor talking at her table about her. Same when Taylor Swift disrupted his hosting to take her seat

This was the long-time producer’s last Grammy Awards. One of those? Maybe. But both Meryl and Taylor perfectly synced with Trevor’s narrative? Well-played bit, imo.

• Like 6

It was so nice to see Tracy Chapman smiling so much at the audience’s adoration. I read somewhere that she felt alienated from the music industry throughout most of her career

Joni Mitchell’s performance would have hit me in the feels a lot harder if I hadn't already seen a YouTube video of a similar performance at a music festival last Summer (which was really emotional). Joni apparently is another artist who didn’t feel the music industry gave her her due. I can’t believe this was the first time she  performed at the Grammys

• Like 8
1 hour ago, DanaK said:

Jay-Z accepting the Vanguard award, or whatever it was called, while lambasting the academy for never giving his wife Album of the Year was really something

Seeing Blue Ivy on stage made me feel old :p. She looked lovely. 

Agreed on Tracy Chapman appearing, it was nice to see her up there. Luke Combs seemed pretty starstruck to be singing with her. 

• Like 4

Beyonce has 32(!) Grammys and never won Artist Of The Year.  In fact, a Black woman hasn't been AOTY in 25 years is really something. 16 Black women have been nominated for AOTY since then.  Beyonce (4 times), Janelle Monae ( twice), H.E.R. (3 times) and Lizzo (twice).  .  I realize this would be better not coming from Beyonce's husband but the Academy deserves being called out.

Annie Lennox paying tribute to Sinead O'Connor by doing exactly what Sinead would have done was perfect.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1

I thought the show was quite good last night.  Loved Tracy Chapman and Joni Mitchell (and Brandi Carlisle), but I really missed chatting with you all about it.  Reddit is awful and the NYT isn't interactive, although the live update folks are informative and quite funny.

@Annber03I had the same reaction seeing Blue Ivy.  The only difference is... I am actually old. 😉

• Like 2
  • Love 2

Like others, I thought Blue Ivy looked lovely, but I was shocked at how grown up she is now. I was thinking, "Who is the young woman at the Carters' table? It can't possibly be Blue Ivy!" Seriously, in my mind she's like seven or eight. 😄

This will probably be an unpopular opinion, but I felt uncomfortable for her. She really didn't seem to want to take the stage with her father and truthfully, why did Jay-Z take her up there with him anyway?

Similarly, why did Taylor Swift drag Lana Del Rey up on the stage with her when she won AOTY? First off, poor Lana had just LOST to Taylor in the AOTY category and she looked very uncomfortable with being led to the stage. Obviously, they were both sitting at the same table with Jack Antonoff, who had produced both of their albums, so Antonoff being on stage made sense, but not LDR.

I've noticed this happening at other awards shows over the past few years, too. Perhaps it's time for the various shows to have an official rule that only those people directly involved with the project take the stage.

Now get off my lawn!

• Like 4

It really was a wonderful Grammy’s. All of Trevor’s jokes landed and he was funny without demeaning or being rude to anyone. Other hosts of other awards shows, this is how it’s done!

I legit screamed when I saw Tracy Chapman onstage. Wasn’t expecting to see her since she barely performs anymore. What a treat, and she’s still amazing as always. Love how thrilled everyone looked.

• Like 8
  • Love 2
12 minutes ago, ProudMary said:

This will probably be an unpopular opinion, but I felt uncomfortable for her. She really didn't seem to want to take the stage with her father and truthfully, why did Jay-Z take her up there with him anyway?

Totally agree with this.  I said to Mr. ebk when Jay-Z looked over at Blue Ivy and motioned her to come along with him that she didn't look like she was expecting this and was probably muttering "Dad...why are you making me do this".  Mr. ebk ignored me. 

• Like 2
  • Love 2

That was Lana Del Rey? I find her pretentious, minimally talented and lugubrious. 

The In Memorium was a hot mess. I didn't even realize Stevie had sequed from a tribute to Tony Bennett to the overall memoriam and had to run it back. They kept focusing more on him than the names of the departed, then it finished. But no, there's more. The segment with Annie Lennox was wonderful, and suddenly it's John Batiste, and then it turned into a revival, oh wait, it's back to the in memorium. Just terrible. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

Tracy, Joni, Annie, Billy, Stevie... even Miley... I usually don't know many of the artists so this was a wonderful treat. Loved seeing Celine at the end. Great show.

• Like 6
5 hours ago, DanaK said:

It was so nice to see Tracy Chapman smiling so much at the audience’s adoration. I read somewhere that she felt alienated from the music industry throughout most of her career

Joni Mitchell’s performance would have hit me in the feels a lot harder if I hadn't already seen a YouTube video of a similar performance at a music festival last Summer (which was really emotional). Joni apparently is another artist who didn’t feel the music industry gave her her due. I can’t believe this was the first time she  performed at the Grammys

A lot of artists from the 60's and 70's you weren't mainstream top 40 artists were snubbed by the Grammy's back in the day. Joni wasn't the only one...pretty sure Laura Nyro, Janis Joplin, CSN and Y, The Grateful Dead and all the greats from that generation never were asked to perform at the Grammy's and never received a Grammy. The Grammy's are pretty much a top 40 awards show. They don't really mean much except in a boost to sales of records that were nominated or won in a certain category. I remember when Joni was nominated in 1973 for her landmark masterpiece "Blue" and lost out. Forget to whom she lost to but I was so mad. No one deserved it more that year then her...that album was incredible.

• Like 1

I didn’t like the In Memorium segment.  It was confusing and detracted from seeing the photos of those being remembered.  They could have done all the tribute performances separately, which would have been entertaining.  Then do the memorials in a more somber, respectful way. 

• Like 5
6 hours ago, Thumper said:

I didn’t like the In Memorium segment.  It was confusing and detracted from seeing the photos of those being remembered.  They could have done all the tribute performances separately, which would have been entertaining.  Then do the memorials in a more somber, respectful way. 

I did like the individual tributes, but yes, it was confusing what they were doing overall

• Like 2
(edited)

Grammys Viewership Rises 34%, Largest Audience Since 2020
BY MATT WEBB MITOVICH   FEBRUARY 5, 2024 1
https://tvline.com/ratings/2024-grammy-ratings-viewership-up-1235143207/ 

CBS‘ broadcast of the 66th annual Grammy Awards on Sunday night averaged 16.9 million total viewers, marking a 34% increase from last year.
The Grammys audience this year peaked in the 9:45 pm quarter-hour, when 18.25 million viewers watched the In-Memoriam segment with performances by Stevie Wonder, Annie Lennox, Jon Batiste and Fantasia Barrino.

On Paramount+, live Grammys viewership was its highest ever, up +173% from last year.

Edited by tv echo
  • Like 2

I wish the producers had modeled the Emmys for the In Memorium segment. This year's Emmys got it right. The producers managed not to sacrifice the musical performances or the visuals. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

Stevie Wonder singing The Best is Yet to Come was offputting for me during the In Memoriam segment. I know per Wikipedia that Frank Sinatra made it popular, but the song was written for and introduced by Tony Bennett. Still......

People talking about how seeing Blue Ivy makes them feel old…I remember when Rene-Charles was born and there he was a full grown adult walking his mom out. 

• Like 1

Agree about the in memoriam segment being shoddy but I did figure out when they made an announcement during one of the commercial breaks that it would feature several artists which led me to thinking that it would pretty much be what it wound up being.

The Grammys have a history of missing out on awarding people when they should and have for decades.  In that regard, they're like pretty much every other major award show.  For something that bills itself as being based on excellence and artistry, it really is top 40 mainly.  Not that there's anything wrong with that but at least admit it and move on.  By the same token, you're never going to make everyone happy.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

The In Memorium was a hot mess. I didn't even realize Stevie had sequed from a tribute to Tony Bennett to the overall memoriam and had to run it back. They kept focusing more on him than the names of the departed, then it finished. But no, there's more. The segment with Annie Lennox was wonderful, and suddenly it's John Batiste, and then it turned into a revival, oh wait, it's back to the in memorium. Just terrible. 

My sentiments exactly!  I kept thinking, "What am I watching?"  The whole segment was confusing to me. 

Blue Ivy looked like she was embarrassed for her dad.  

The best part of the show for me was watching Tracy Chapman and Luke Combs.

• Like 4
3 hours ago, pvandal said:

People talking about how seeing Blue Ivy makes them feel old…I remember when Rene-Charles was born and there he was a full grown adult walking his mom out. 

Is that who that was!? I thought it was just some backstage guy helping Celine walk

• Like 1

Jay Z“My wife deserves respect”

Also Jay Z: cheated on his wife routinely. 

l’m not what you would call a huge Beyonce fan but I do enjoy her music. The only time I truly believe she was robbed was for Lemonade. 

I enjoyed the show this year far more than I have in a while. Tracy was the highlight. I also enjoyed Miley and did get a laugh at her telling the audience to not act like they don’t know her song however Miley, honey, you’re in your 30s now, please get through a public speech without mentioning your underwear. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1