Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E01: Run and Gun

• Start Topic

After Tennant passes her medical and psych evaluations, she's surprised to see Sam's conducting her final interview to clear her return to work. Also, when the team discovers a breach in the U.S. Marshal's database, Sam joins Tennant in Las Vegas to locate the hacker.

Original air date: Feb 12, 2024

I think they wanted to keep the fact that there was such an extensive breach of information limited to only the two agencies minimizing the risk. That said, surely there’s a US Marshals office in LA?

(edited)

I've given up on "time" as a real thing when tv/movies are involved.  I can see wanting to keep things contained and on a need to know basis but still that doesn't fit in with how things would work in real life but it's fine for entertainment and expecting the audience to not ask questions.

Edited by milkyaqua
  • Like 3
56 minutes ago, Daff said:

I think they wanted to keep the fact that there was such an extensive breach of information limited to only the two agencies minimizing the risk. That said, surely there’s a US Marshals office in LA?

I was thinking you were past that with the Marshals moving everyone. If there were ever an all hands on deck setup this was it. No waiting around for the NCIS Hawai'i SAC.

I don't mind having LL Cool J around, but please give him something to do other than be Tennant's Jimminy Crickett.

As I said in the NCIS Mothership forum, I liked this ep mainly because there *was* one. It looked for a while like there'd be nothing new anywhere for some time. So that alone is something to smile about.

• Like 4
  • LOL 1
2 hours ago, milkyaqua said:

I've given up on "time" as a real thing when tv/movies are involved.  I can see wanting to keep things contained and on a need to know basis but still that doesn't fit in with how things would work in real life but it's fine for entertainment and expecting the audience to not ask questions.

It was certainly better than the scenario last week with the NYPD

• Useful 1

Jesse speaking Italian, bellissimo! 😍

Yeah, it’s really smart to be a smartass during your medical and psych evaluations, Jane. 🙄

LL Cool J needs better materials for his role to be significant in this show. As of now, it feels like an afterthought.

Kai and Kate have known each other for 2 seasons and only now they realize about their love for vegetarian foods? Anything to irritate Lucy, huh. 🙄

Is it appropriate to smooch your FBI girlfriend in plain sight during office hour? Ohh well, Kacy can do no wrong…🙄

There’s something weird about the dubbing of this episode. Some of them sound very nasal and Lucy doesn’t sound like she used to be. Lack of background noise too.

• Like 2

I couldn't remember Deputy Crichton. Looking him up he went from a helicopter crash with SAC Tennant to now a pilot whose going to try to Sully on the Pacific.

It was weird as NCIS seemed more interested in proving him innocent than solving the murder of a DoD civilian 

(edited)
4 hours ago, Daff said:

Well we know there’s an NCIS office in LA.   Would have been a more accurate use of Sam’s time than his supposed mentor skills.  

The NCIS LA  writers need to tell these writers how to write Sam Hanna.  The only time his true character came through was action oriented  in the hacker’s location. 

Edited by mythoughtis
19 minutes ago, mythoughtis said:

Well we know there’s an NCIS office in LA.   Would have been a more accurate use of Sam’s time than his supposed mentor skills.  

The NCIS LA  writers need to tell these writers how to write Sam Hanna.  The only time his true character came through was action oriented  in the hacker’s location. 

I saw it more as peer counseling than mentoring. With Janey's son following the same path into naval service as Sam's daughter was weird. I bet that baby sister gets her dog over mom's objections 

5 hours ago, Daff said:

That said, surely there’s a US Marshals office in LA?

We know there's one in Albuquerque! (Loved In Plain Sight. Wonder what those actors are doing now.)

It took me a while to place Deputy Crichton. Once they showed him in the plane with a straight ahead gaze from those gorgeous eyes, I remembered him in the helicopter. That man should not leave the ground.

Tennant's son is too injured to play baseball but qualifies for the Navy? 

Jesse for mvp, he even started gesturing with his hands when speaking Italian 😆

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
4 minutes ago, Grizzly said:

The pro or big time college level demands more than being in shape.

Signed a combat unit veteran whose physical profile disqualified him from aviation and special forces

• Useful 1

Did anyone else think when Sam was being all cagey about where he was staying that it was a wink to the fans that he's staying with his buddy McGarrett (from Hawaii 5-0) at his beach house?  I'm sticking with that fan wank because it amuses me to think of Sam and Steve sitting in those beach chairs gently winding Danny up with sanitized tales of their SEAL exploits, and just when the story gets good, breaking off with a terse "that's classified..."

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1
  • LOL 3
9 hours ago, Raja said:

It was weird as NCIS seemed more interested in proving him innocent than solving the murder of a DoD civilian 

I think this is the thing they do where they normally spend the first part of the episode chasing the wrong suspect except this time it was another agency doing the wrongful accusing. Makes NCIS look a little better but makes the Marshals look terrible since that dude was suspect 1 of 75. Imagine having 75 security breaches (not all in Hawaii I imagine but still) and the only thing that prevents you from blaming your own agents is the intervention of an outside agency!

6 hours ago, HurricaneVal said:

Did anyone else think when Sam was being all cagey about where he was staying that it was a wink to the fans that he's staying with his buddy McGarrett (from Hawaii 5-0) at his beach house?

I'd pay actual money for this to be true but this show has reused some actors from 5-0 and not put them in the same roles. The actor who played Junior showed up here as a spy from New Zealand if I'm remembering correctly. I had a look to see what TVTropes had to say and discovered that the shared universe is actually way larger than I thought it was: https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Series/Bellisarioverse

I find that out of all the characters on this show the one I haven't really warmed up to yet is Kai but he gave me the biggest laugh of the episode when he comforted Ernie. I don't know why but that was hilarious.

Lucy was oddly insecure this episode. Your girlfriend has her own social life that does not have 100% overlap with yours. That is normal, healthy behavior for adults and good for your relationship too. I appreciated that Jesse stepped right into the middle of it to say "hey, can we solve some crimes here instead of whatever this nonsense is?" Also, I believe Lucy has her own car and is capable of going to the store/bakery/etc. to get one of those treats rather than trying to take the one Whistler bought specifically to give to Ernie! That is just rude.

I guess Tenant's trauma will be a theme that will play out over the season? She has been a good boss so far so perhaps there is some entertainment value in seeing her be a bad boss.

11 hours ago, HurricaneVal said:

Did anyone else think when Sam was being all cagey about where he was staying that it was a wink to the fans that he's staying with his buddy McGarrett (from Hawaii 5-0) at his beach house? 

No, I thought he was staying with Tennant.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, dwmarch said:

I'd pay actual money for this to be true but this show has reused some actors from 5-0 and not put them in the same roles. The actor who played Junior showed up here as a spy from New Zealand if I'm remembering correctly. I had a look to see what TVTropes had to say and discovered that the shared universe is actually way larger than I thought it was: https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Series/Bellisarioverse

When NCIS: New Orleans made Zoe McLellan Special Agent Brody instead of reprising her JAG roll and being ex Petty Officer Coates now an agent I never expected any universe actor integrity on these shows. Only a couple of actors showing up in their previous starring or reoccurring roles if they got another job on one of the series. 

The Bellasario/Jag to Lenkov/5-0 crossovers in hindsight comes off as network forced since they never revisited . It is just a shame that Alex O'Loughlin was on sick leave so the Sam Hanna/Steve McGarrett SEAL meet up never happened on screen. 

15 hours ago, Grizzly said:

We know there's one in Albuquerque! (Loved In Plain Sight. Wonder what those actors are doing now.)

It took me a while to place Deputy Crichton. Once they showed him in the plane with a straight ahead gaze from those gorgeous eyes, I remembered him in the helicopter. That man should not leave the ground.

Jesse for mvp, he even started gesturing with his hands when speaking Italian 😆

Mary Mc has had a few series, none on channels I’m able to watch. I sorely miss her glib, smarta$$ self!

• Like 2
18 hours ago, Raja said:

couldn't remember Deputy Crichton. Looking him up he went from a helicopter crash with SAC Tennant to now a pilot whose going to try to Sully on the Pacific.

He wasn’t the pilot. He was in the back guarding the prisoners. But he’s cute so I really hope he survived 😀

• Like 1
On 2/13/2024 at 1:23 PM, StarBrand said:

I don't mind having LL Cool J around, but please give him something to do other than be Tennant's Jimminy Crickett.

Agreed.  I like him and I hope he sticks around, but I want him to be in the field along with Jane, Jesse, Kai and Lucy.  This team needs more than 4 field agents.

Can somebody please recap what happened to Sam's wife?  I assume she is dead.  I know the L.A. show was cancelled/ended, but in the context of the show's universe, I would assume the NCIS office there is still open.  Did Sam leave the office, is he on some kind of extended leave of absence, etc?

21 hours ago, Grizzly said:

I'm glad the actor was demoted from main cast to guest star.  I hope this means we will see much less of him.  He's not a very good actor and it was irritating how the writers would have to constantly find a way to shoehorn him in to episodes.

He at least could have asked about Julie.  The writers have started to pretend she doesn't even exist.  Not sure how old Julie is supposed to be at this point.  14?  15?  She can probably take care of herself now so I'd just as soon they continue to ignore her completely, it's less jarring.

I don't recall the Crichton guy at all.  Was he always a Marshall?  Have we seen the head marshall lady before?  I kept trying to remember if I had forgotten a plot point.

2 minutes ago, blackwing said:

Agreed.  I like him and I hope he sticks around, but I want him to be in the field along with Jane, Jesse, Kai and Lucy.  This team needs more than 4 field agents.

Can somebody please recap what happened to Sam's wife?  I assume she is dead.  I know the L.A. show was cancelled/ended, but in the context of the show's universe, I would assume the NCIS office there is still open.  Did Sam leave the office, is he on some kind of extended leave of absence, etc?

I'm glad the actor was demoted from main cast to guest star.  I hope this means we will see much less of him.  He's not a very good actor and it was irritating how the writers would have to constantly find a way to shoehorn him in to episodes.

He at least could have asked about Julie.  The writers have started to pretend she doesn't even exist.  Not sure how old Julie is supposed to be at this point.  14?  15?  She can probably take care of herself now so I'd just as soon they continue to ignore her completely, it's less jarring.

I don't recall the Crichton guy at all.  Was he always a Marshall?  Have we seen the head marshall lady before?  I kept trying to remember if I had forgotten a plot point.

I gave up on  Los Angeles but I know Sam's wife was ex CIA and she was killed by someone after her husband. His daughter was a Navy fighter pilot and her crash became a case. He remains a NCIS Agent interviewing and signing SAC Tennant off as cleared for duty was an assignment.

Deputy Crichton was the Marshal aboard the helicopter which crashed and the episode served as the young Janey origin story through flashbacks.

• Useful 1
7 hours ago, blackwing said:

That said, she'll likely be the target of some nefarious scheme to get to Tennant.

I'm being petty here, but I feel like one agency should know the other is called Metro, not LVPD. One of the quickest ways we'll know you're not from around these parts.

NV has a Naval base, and LV has 2 military bases .. so yeah, seems like maybe Janie didn't need to make the trip.  That said, I know nothing about how the military/intelligence communities work, so maybe she did.

(edited)
38 minutes ago, sskrill said:

I'm being petty here, but I feel like one agency should know the other is called Metro, not LVPD. One of the quickest ways we'll know you're not from around these parts.

NV has a Naval base, and LV has 2 military bases .. so yeah, seems like maybe Janie didn't need to make the trip.  That said, I know nothing about how the military/intelligence communities work, so maybe she did.

Maybe a CBS crossover with CSI: Vegas with the LVPD is coming.

In my occasional watching NCIS: Los Angeles got such things right. So far on Hawai'i Deputy Crichton has been called Agent and now Marshal.

Just because a local NCIS office broke a case doesn't mean the FBI wouldn't take over. 

Edited by Raja
2 hours ago, RobertDeSneero said:

They talked about Julie wanting a dog....

They did?  I must have completely tuned out as soon as he started complaining about something.

On 2/13/2024 at 12:17 PM, Snazzy Daisy said:

Kai and Kate have known each other for 2 seasons and only now they realize about their love for vegetarian foods? Anything to irritate Lucy, huh. 🙄

Is it appropriate to smooch your FBI girlfriend in plain sight during office hour? Ohh well, Kacy can do no wrong…🙄

I like Kacy but I agree that was unprofessional.

I don't mind the food thing with Kai and Kate, what annoys me is they make Lucy the foodie.  These shows always take the 87lb adult and tell us that person has a voracious appetite. 

Like Yasmine eats more than 1200 cals a day.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, sskrill said:

I like Kacy but I agree that was unprofessional.

I don't mind the food thing with Kai and Kate, what annoys me is they make Lucy the foodie.  These shows always take the 87lb adult and tell us that person has a voracious appetite. 

Like Yasmine eats more than 1200 cals a day.

If NCIS doesn't randomly drug test its agents like the Navy does with its sailors then Lucy starts making sense.

• LOL 1
On 2/21/2024 at 9:27 PM, sskrill said:

These shows always take the 87lb adult and tell us that person has a voracious appetite. 

In this case, her mouth and teenage sensibilities burn away three quarters of her caloric intake.

On 2/14/2024 at 3:06 PM, blackwing said:

The show ended with Callen and Sam in Morocca, reconnecting with Nell, Nate and a former CIA agent looking for Hetty and yes, the office is still very much operational.

On 2/14/2024 at 3:16 PM, Raja said:

I gave up on  Los Angeles but I know Sam's wife was ex CIA and she was killed by someone after her husband. His daughter was a Navy fighter pilot and her crash became a case.

It was actually his son, although, I don't remember if he was already a fighter pilot or still in training. He was cleared of being suspected of having sabotaged his flight and returned to either the military base or school.

If memory serves, his daughter was still attending the naval academy an Annapolis when the show ended.

47 minutes ago, EtheltoTillie said:

Wasn’t Sam going to take over the Los Angeles office?  How can he transfer to this show?  

I mostly left the Los Angeles spinoff after the first season just watching occasional episodes but the three spinoffs and JAG  often had characters go on temporary duty assignments to explain an absence from the duty station.

• Useful 1