Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E06: Fried, Cried and Tried

• Start Topic

Caleb surprises Tammy with a romantic dinner date, but it goes south when Tammy learns what's on the menu; the Slatons attend a Zumba class together, but Amy's lack of self-care leads to a meltdown that has the whole family feeling déjà vu.

Original air date 2024.01.16

• Like 2

Amy doesn't need to trash the wedding dress, she could have donated it.  

I'm so upset Caleb thinks tempting Tammy, and having that basket of junk food is a good idea.   I'm scared for him if that's his attitude.  It's not a joke.  Everything he has for their date is a big no-no on their diet.  I'm so disappointed in him.  I like that Tammy is staying strong. 

The playground is a good idea, but Amy needs to watch the little one closer. 

The hats are hysterical, at least Chris's hat is.  Amy's looks good.     They don't have to go to Florida for a beach, there are lots of lakes that have beaches. 

Zumba is a great idea for a workout, they can all go at their own pace. I wish Amy would take better care of herself.  

• Like 9

They're really running out of things for the family to do -- the hat decorating, the wedding dress painting, and OMG the stick horse race.  Really?  A stick horse race?

Yeah, I was pissed at Caleb offering Tammy all that fried food.  He knew that she couldn't eat that kind of stuff.  It was almost like he wanted to sabotage Tammy's progress so she'd come back to the facility.  And then he explained it by saying the options were limited in that area.  I say 'bull' to that. 

Of course, we had more 'Amy crying' scenes, intermixed with 'Amy laughing her annoying laugh' scenes.   

• Like 12

I love Tammy's new outlook on life. She's doing an amazing job all the way around. Amy isn't having it and quite honestly she should have sat out this season except that she needs the income. Amy is clearly having a major episode. She's allowed. But all this crying on camera is a non-starter. She shouldn't be filming with zero window of tolerance. 

Misty and Amanda have shown so much progress already. They were noticeably smaller by the end of the episode. Great for them!

I appreciate that Tammy makes an effort to use the correct term for things like "bowel movement" etc. She's trying. Amy doesn't think with her eyes but since she's struggled with that impairment her whole life, I'm sure it stunted her intellectual development. It's really a shame, there probably weren't resources for her at any time during her school years and I feel bad for her for that. It isn't her fault.

Alright, Caleb makes me feel very uncomfortable.

Spoiler

may he rest in peace

The rawring and meowing made me cringe. Tammy seemed very over him in different parts of their scenes but that might have been embarrassment over the animal noises and frustration with his lack of commitment to any form of progress with his weight loss. I'm sure she really cares for him but they are not on the same path.

The fried food is a no brainer. It made me wonder if he really does have some form of cognitive impairment possibly due to oxygen deprivation or a past stroke. I guess he basically served her what he's been eating since she left and that just isn't cool. It seems like he is in that facility to keep living the way he was living, not to get better.

Wait did Amy lose her front teeth too or was she not wearing her dental appliance? 

• Like 8

Amy is so jealous of Tammy at this point.  Yes, Tammy took a while to hit bottom and turn herself around, but to mock her and keep bringing it up instead of supporting where she is now isn't cool.  The production team needs to realize AMY NEEDS PROFESSIONAL HELP!  She's beyond depressed and it's affecting her physically.  Stop following her with the camera, un-mic her and suggest she get some help.  Going through a divorce smack dab in the middle of what could be postpartum depression is nothing to ignore.  She's in a really bad place right now and those kids could suffer for it if something isn't done about it.   

• Like 8
  • Applause 8

Love this sh******. What I want is for someone, anyone to say "Amy, you're overwhelmed right now with your divorce and two young children. You need to speak with a medical professional immediately about possible depression. We love you and are so worried. We are not qualified to help you. Please make an appointment today."

• Like 7
  • Hugs 1
7 hours ago, swankie said:

but to mock her and keep bringing it up instead of supporting where she is now isn't cool

I think Amy’s point was that Tammy had multiple relapses and chose to lose weight only when she saw fit but now demands that Caleb immediately lose the weight on her schedule because it is inconveniencing her that he can’t come home yet.  But Tammy didn’t care when she was inconveniencing her family when they had to wait on her hand and foot for years just because she didn’t feel like doing anything about her situation at the time.  Tammy admitted she just didn’t care about herself or others.  But now that she supposedly does she is judgmental of others who don’t.

• Like 4

Folks, 

Again, no spoilers are allowed in the episode thread.  Only discuss what is known as of the time that the show was filmed.  Everyone is where they are as  you see them on screen.  Everything is happening on screen. 

I'm sad to admit that I've been in Amy's emotional shoes in my life, and it's really hard to watch.  She needs professional help and likely medication.  She's actively trying to push everyone away, but deep down hoping they don't go.  Having them give her criticism right now, even if constructive, is just going to feed into her downward spiral.  It can go to a very ugly place.

Of course, that's my armchair psychological assessment after only watching heavily edited snippets of her life...

• Like 5

I'm not buying the "poor Amy is clinically depressed" storyline...  Mostly she's p***** that Tammy is doing so well and turns out to be prettier than her with that lump gone from her forehead.  She's manipulated her family and the audience with those water works from Day One, so what's new?  I'm beginning to see her as a truly malignant character.  I wish Tammy could separate herself from "the clan," but the enmeshment is so great that I doubt that will happen.  I just hope living with Amy the Enabler doesn't completely derail her.

• Like 10
  • Applause 4
7 hours ago, MrBuhBye said:

I think Amy’s point was that Tammy had multiple relapses and chose to lose weight only when she saw fit but now demands that Caleb immediately lose the weight on her schedule because it is inconveniencing her that he can’t come home yet.  But Tammy didn’t care when she was inconveniencing her family when they had to wait on her hand and foot for years just because she didn’t feel like doing anything about her situation at the time.  Tammy admitted she just didn’t care about herself or others.  But now that she supposedly does she is judgmental of others who don’t.

If that's Amy's perspective and I suspect you are 100% right and it is, that's pretty f*cked up. She literally went against her doctor's orders and put her own self in the position she's in with two babies under the age of two. Now she's inconveniencing the family (even though they are good people and completely willing to help) because of her own poor decisions.

• Like 10
  • Applause 2

I think that whether it was consciously or subconsciously Caleb would have loved to see Tammy eat the fried foods in hopes that she would start gaining weight and come back to rehab.  For all his talk of going home he seems totally unprepared to handle life outside of the facility.  Without Tammy all he has is food and words.  Lots and lots of words. 

Tammy looked so happy doing Zumba.  She looked smaller in that scene than when she was visiting Caleb.  Maybe the pants she was wearing were more flattering than the dresses she had on at rehab. 

I can't remember if it was this episode or the last one where Misty said Amy is regressing but I think she hit the nail on the head.  Watching Amy sitting on the floor with all her older siblings gathered around her asking her she was going to the bathroom, taking her meds, using her C-Pap etc. made me feel like she was going back in time to being the baby of family with them taking care of her because her mother didn't.  Amy needs help, but she has to want it.  No one can do it for her.  Her complaining about having to do everything for the boys all the time doesn't really hold water because they weren't at the Kentucky Derby scene or the Zumba scene so she obviously doesn't have them 24/7.  I just don't know what to think is going on with her but I do worry about the little boys. 

Didn't she have to go to ER during one of her pregnancies because she hadn't poop for two weeks?

• Like 6
10 minutes ago, Abmis said:

Didn't she have to go to ER during one of her pregnancies because she hadn't poop for two weeks?

I thought she ate Chinese food and had heartburn or gas or something.  I think Amy thought once she had kids she would have some idyllic family life which is why she was in such a rush to have them against doctor’s orders.  I think some of her stitches could have ruptured so soon after surgery.  But then she had the kids and found out that not only did it not solve preexisting issues but added new ones.

• Like 6
1 hour ago, MrBuhBye said:

I thought she ate Chinese food and had heartburn or gas or something.

She did that with both pregnancies! You'd think she would have figured it out after the first time it happened. The second time I thought she probably ate too much Chinese food (again), and I was right. 

• Like 5
  • Fire 1
  • LOL 1
(edited)

Who here believes Amy didn't have a bowel movement for two weeks?  Show of hands???

That woman is SO full of it (no pun intended)...

And isn't plopping herself on the floor exactly what she did at Tammy's wedding to divert attention to herself (after making a congratulatory speech that she made...ALL ABOUT HERSELF???).

Amy wants attention.  ALL the attention.

Edited by Dibs
  • Like 11
  • Love 2
On 1/17/2024 at 6:44 PM, MrBuhBye said:

I thought she ate Chinese food and had heartburn or gas or something.  I think Amy thought once she had kids she would have some idyllic family life which is why she was in such a rush to have them against doctor’s orders.  I think some of her stitches could have ruptured so soon after surgery.  But then she had the kids and found out that not only did it not solve preexisting issues but added new ones.

I found the episode I was thinking of.  It's the first episode of season 2.  Amy claims she hasn't pooped in three weeks so Michael takes her to Urgent Care and she discovers she's pregnant with Gage.  I do remember the Chinese food episodes too.  We know way too much about Amy's digestive system!

It's interesting watching old episodes now that everyone has changed so much.  It makes me sad to watch Little Bit.  She was such a sweet little dog. 

• Like 6
On 1/16/2024 at 8:54 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

I'm so upset Caleb thinks tempting Tammy, and having that basket of junk food is a good idea.   I'm scared for him if that's his attitude.  It's not a joke.  Everything he has for their date is a big no-no on their diet.  I'm so disappointed in him.  I like that Tammy is staying strong. 

He wants her back at the facility.

• Like 2
  • Sad 3
(edited)
On 1/17/2024 at 3:33 PM, Dibs said:

I'm not buying the "poor Amy is clinically depressed" storyline...  Mostly she's p***** that Tammy is doing so well and turns out to be prettier than her with that lump gone from her forehead.  She's manipulated her family and the audience with those water works from Day One, so what's new?  I'm beginning to see her as a truly malignant character.  I wish Tammy could separate herself from "the clan," but the enmeshment is so great that I doubt that will happen.  I just hope living with Amy the Enabler doesn't completely derail her.

I have not been buying it, either with regard to Amy.  I cannot seem to find any sympathy for her. She wanted kids. She was told after her surgery to wait. She didn’t.   She was told after the first one to wait and she didn’t. She’s a lazy person and kids are a lot of work.  
And, if her husband did nothing, what is all this boo-hooing about having to do it alone?  When he was there, according to her, she not only had to take care of the kids she was taking care of him. I’m not buying it.

She criticizes about how long it took Tammy yet who was going out and buying all the candy for her?  Who was the major enabler?  In my opinion, Amy is trying to sabotage Tammy just as Tammy‘s husband is trying to sabotage her. She needs to get a better support system around her.

Edited by Kid
  • Like 12
  • Applause 2
2 hours ago, Kid said:

I have not been buying it, either with regard to Amy.  I cannot seem to find any sympathy for her. She wanted kids. She was told after her surgery to wait. She didn’t.   She was told after the first one to wait and she didn’t. She’s a lazy person and kids are a lot of work.  
And, if her husband did nothing, what is all this boo-hooing about having to do it alone?  When he was there, according to her, she not only had to take care of the kids she was taking care of him. I’m not buying it.

She criticizes about how long it took Tammy yet who was going out and buying all the candy for her?  Who was the major enabler?  In my opinion, Amy is trying to sabotage Tammy just as Tammy‘s husband is trying to sabotage her. She needs to get a better support system around her.

I agree with everything you said. But, look around her, who does she have to pick as a support system? The whole family is now in the show and are doing everything they can to keep this gravy train (and I do mean gravy) going.

• Like 7

Amy already had a gastric bypass in the first season of the show.  It changes your digestive system greatly. (I had one many years ago so I know).  She's also diabetic. She also doesn't eat right.  When you binge on carbs, it causes "dumping syndrome" & it causes your heart to race & you don't feel well.  In addition, the carbs cause blood sugar to soar.  Then the body compensates by releasing extra insulin, which in turn causes the blood sugar to plummet, which is very very dangerous.  Either one or both of these things is my guess as to what's happening with her.  The I can't poop excuse is ridiculous. 

• Like 5
  • Useful 3
12 hours ago, lilysmom said:

are doing everything they can to keep this gravy train (and I do mean gravy) going.

They can all put the weight back on like Amanda and then have a second round of surgeries.  That should take us to season ten.

• Like 1
  • LOL 9
22 hours ago, Kid said:

This. 

I can believe Amy is exhausted, has depression and is overwhelmed with two kids so close in age. She may need help and support to figure out better ways to cope, it’s a common enough situation. Amanda and Misty are mothers to older children, they can relate. 

But I’m just not buying that Michael did “nothing”. If that was the case how is her life harder now??

• Like 12
On 1/17/2024 at 1:05 PM, cynicat said:

She needs professional help and likely medication. 

Her family kept saying how she needed to take her meds. I'm assuming that is depression meds. I want to see more of Tammy and how her life has gone for the better. I find her likable now. I feel for Amy and everyone going through depression. I don't really want to watch it unless we see her getting help.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, nokat said:

Her family kept saying how she needed to take her meds. I'm assuming that is depression meds. I want to see more of Tammy and how her life has gone for the better. I find her likable now. I feel for Amy and everyone going through depression. I don't really want to watch it unless we see her getting help.

This. Yes, Amy is a famewhore. Yes, she's made awful decisions regarding her health. Yes, she never should have had 2 pregnancies so close together. Yes, her family enables her. Yes, she's a human being going through mental health struggles that are cruel and overwhelming. No joy in kicking someone when they are down.

• Like 4

I think they were also referring to the many vitamins and supplements Amy's supposed to be taking for her medical issues, and for her weight loss surgery aftercare.  I doubt she's been following the protein first diet either.      

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
(edited)

Hadn't Tammy already had WLS when she was at the rehab?  And Caleb said those were her favorite foods there?  I thought she was a bit rude to him.  It's not like he can just whip up a healthy meal; that's probably something they serve there.  Yeah, it was fried, but it was chicken, shrimp, cheese (protein) and wouldn't have killed her to eat just once...more.  Tammy was just OVER Caleb at that point.

Edited by Dibs
1 hour ago, Dibs said:

Hadn't Tammy already had WLS when she was at the rehab?  And Caleb said those were her favorite foods there?  I thought she was a bit rude to him.  It's not like he can just whip up a healthy meal; that's probably something they serve there.  Yeah, it was fried, but it was chicken, shrimp, cheese (protein) and wouldn't have killed her to eat just once...more.  Tammy was just OVER Caleb at that point.

I disagree. Eat just once turns into twice, three times, etc until you’re back into old habits.

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

Yeah, no.

If it's a health/weight loss facility they're not serving fried anything...except maybe once in a blue moon.

Maybe they let the patients order takeout sometimes as a treat,  or some family or friend brings it in to them like contraband... which is crazy against the purpose of the facility,  but who knows? 

Seems producer driven,  but knowing Caleb's destiny, that's just sad. 

Love New Tammy!!!!!

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure rehab facilities, as well as hospitals, do not have the right to stop a person from ordering food externally.  It a totally voluntary stay as far as I know, but that's not particularly far.

• Like 2
(edited)

You're right Cynicat.  Rehabs and assisted living can't stop a patient from ordering food in, or outsiders bringing food in for the patient.   That's been an issue at rehabs on My 600 lb life, and on this show, and on the old Brookhaven show.    

If I recall correctly Tammy didn't have surgery until after she was at the rehab, and lost the amount of weight the doctor said she had to lose to qualify for surgery.  She also had to have medical tests to make sure she was strong enough to survive surgery.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 2
(edited)

It's not a "weight loss facility"; it's a rehab/nursing home, and it's true that rehabs can't control what their residents eat.  I'm not sure what they serve is exactly "diet food," either.  I seem to recall seeing Caleb and his fellow patients chowing down on spaghetti...

Edited by Dibs
  • Like 1