Type keyword(s) to search

S49.E05: Jason Momoa / Tate McRae

• Start Topic

The tennis sketch was really, really funny.

The taxi sketch is oddly entertaining.

The rest of the show, mostly okay for me.

WU had its zing back this week. Remember Lizards was funny.

Didn't care for musical guest but she was really cute when she finished her first song.

Edited by JeanJean
  • Like 2
2 minutes ago, JeanJean said:

The tennis sketch was really, really funny.

The rest of the show, mostly meh for me.

WU had its zing back this week.

Didn't care for musical guest but she was really cute when she finished her first song.

The ball boy picking up her head and running it off the other side of the court like a tennis ball made me laugh out loud. 

• Like 8
  • LOL 2

Cold Open: We still going with Mikey Day as Biden, aren't we? And we've got Bowen in a costume, this time as a panda. 

Monologue: I couldn't get over how red Jason Momoa's chest was. I liked his enthusiasm. 

Masters of The Pen: Just doing silly things in front of a camera and none of them had to speak, easiest sketch in the world.

Roman Empire: And here I thought the punchline was gonna be that the men were thinking about literally nothing. Of course little boys are thinking about dinosaurs.

Bouncers: Marcello doing a fun accent and everyone trying to match him was fun.

Hudson News Thanksgiving Airport Parade: Oh, it's a sequel to the great First Nice Day in NYC Parade sketch. We had dogs AND a kid in this sketch, to boot. And we finally got a sketch with the airplane freakout lady. I love sketches when the whole cast gets to shine.

Please Don't Destroy: Thinking about food when a friend is going through a tough moment in their lives. We've all been there. "I got a prescription, and the only ramen is more fever!"

WU: George Santos jokes have yet to get old. Same for jokes about Eric Adams. And what the hell was the context of that LLJ Cool J clip?

I was surprised to see THREE guests tonight. So Remember Lizards was Imagine Dragons's Opposite Band?

Fiance: A Cast Away sketch in 2023. Loved that the audience popped for Dismukes going shirtless more than Jason. 

Untold Battle of The Sexes: Since Sarah was the lead of the sketch, I was wondering what the twist was gonna be. A tennis ball straight through her stomach, and then another slicing her head off, was not on my list. 

Taxi: Fun, dumb sketch that was improved by having Kenan react to it.

All in all, okay episode. Emma Stone hosts November 2nd.

• Like 5
  • Useful 1
27 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

The ball boy picking up her head and running it off the other side of the court like a tennis ball made me laugh out loud. 

Definitely the highlight of the 90 minutes 

• Like 5

Even though Mamoa was enthusiastic, I could not get into the episode at all.  I think the only highlights for me were the tennis sketch, but only for the head joke, really. 

And I kind of liked the "thinking of Rome" skit because I was aware of the "TikTok test" about it.  Funnily enough, given the lyrics like "home", I actually predicted it'd be about "Rome" before they landed there. 

For those who don't know about the viral TikTok "test", it has to do with an observation (by someone) that men think about the Roman Empire more than women do and more than women would think their men think about it.  So women were challenged to record themselves asking their male partners how often they thought of the Roman Empire and uploading it to TikTok.  The result?  Apparently, a lot of men think about the Roman Empire a lot.  Like almost once a day. 

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1

I didn't care for this ep either. 

What I did like... Remember Lizards and the ballboy picking up not just the tennis ball, but the head.

Other than that, meh.

I thought it was weird, or just different, in the CO when Biden called on reporters by saying their media outlets. I don't mean that the President or whoever WOULDN'T do that, but it just sounded strange in this skit, kind of like the writers were doing shoutouts to The Wall Street Journal, Axios, and whoever else they mentioned.

I still don't like Mikey's Biden impression.

The L Frank Baum sketch was... different. Who came up with that? I think it was a good idea, but it didn't really go anywhere.

I'd heard about the Roman Empire thing, so I wasn't completely lost. I appreciated the production values more than the humor.

Club bouncers. So-so.

Oh, one other thing I liked in this ep was the three little dogs Chloe was carrying. Very cute.

I always like seeing Bowen's George Santos, though this time I didn't find it that funny.

This ep was just generally a disappointment.

• Like 6

"I don't know anyone in China....now I have to try to make friends as an adult...ugh.." Hee! 

I like Momoa's energy, but screaming how much you love life and that you have a company dedicated to preventing plastic water bottles is....well, I kept waiting for the funny. I did appreciate "F*ck you, Dasani." And I root for anyone who uses fame/fortune to make a real difference in global warming. Just not when I want to laugh and turn my brain off. He was fabulous in all the sketches, though.

The PDD video reminded me of the Amy Schumer skit when she really wanted to eat her matzoh ball soup while her friend just got news of a breakup. Recycling is good for the planet, not so much for SNL material. It's a real thing, though, to feel like a horrible person because you are hungry or tired and your loved one/friend gets bad news and you just don't want to deal. So, I did chuckle. 

Uggggggggh with the musical guest. Again. A rap-like Brit-Brit wannabe with no vocals, no lyrics, nothing but exposed midriff. No thank you. Go away. 

• Like 4

Bring back Timothee Chalamet.  

The funniest part of this episode was the ball boy carrying the head off the court.

I only saw the musical guest's first number, and while I don't know 99.9% of these young performers, she wasn't that bad (although I was making googly eyes at the male backup dancers).  I wonder if Travis Kelce has ever seen her perform.  She reminds me of a "sexier" version of Taylor Swift.  Watch out, Taylor! 😅

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

Anyone else expecting a white male country singer and getting...the complete opposite?

It happened to me, but not here. A little while back when she was the music on one of the late night talk shows.

22 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

Masters of The Pen: Just doing silly things in front of a camera and none of them had to speak, easiest sketch in the world.

If Bowen had been a real academic he would have corrected Heidi about the ruby slippers since they were silver shoes in the book. But for some reason (even though I would have been more amused if the counterpoint had been more like a serious academic discussion) I enjoyed the silliness.

12 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I'd heard about the Roman Empire thing, so I wasn't completely lost. I appreciated the production values more than the humor.

I loved the costumes but also the joke that the son was thinking about dinosaurs. 

2 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

WTF on Laird the castaway. I really want to see the sketches they didn't air in favor of that mess.

I didn't think it was a bad premise but I thought the jokes could have been better. Also as it was I would have just ended it on the punchline of Chloe insisting that the house be part of the prize, without showing the contest or its aftermath.

On the whole I actually enjoyed this episode more than most of the others so far this season. It felt like a lot of different cast members got things to do. I wish they would tighten up the writing for Biden -- I enjoyed the Cold Open much more once the panda got rolling.  (Favourite panda joke was probably the panda reacting to the reporter asking why he doesn't like sex with "uh, have you had it? It's crazy.")

Well that was mostly not good.  There were moments here and there, but overall this was a C- effort at best.  The only thing which really made me laugh was the Roman Empire song.

I did appreciate Bowen's asexual panda since it referenced the reproductive inadequacies of giant pandas.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

If Bowen had been a real academic he would have corrected Heidi about the ruby slippers since they were silver shoes in the book. But for some reason (even though I would have been more amused if the counterpoint had been more like a serious academic discussion) I enjoyed the silliness.

I paused the TV at this point and told my husband - what a missed opportunity to point out that the shoes were silver and NOT ruby.  

• Applause 1
  • Useful 1
22 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

Bring back Timothee Chalamet.  

The funniest part of this episode was the ball boy carrying the head off the court.

I only saw the musical guest's first number, and while I don't know 99.9% of these young performers, she wasn't that bad (although I was making googly eyes at the male backup dancers).  I wonder if Travis Kelce has ever seen her perform.  She reminds me of a "sexier" version of Taylor Swift.  Watch out, Taylor! 😅

Don't think Taylor has anything to worry about. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
22 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

The basketball player on Weekend Update?  I couldn't get over how much he looks like Pete Davidson.  The looks, plus the way he reads his cue cards and the way he pauses before answering questions. 

With respect, I don't see a physical resemblance between Pete and Devon.They both have nice smiles.

And the cue card comment?  Unfair.

On 11/21/2023 at 8:08 PM, peeayebee said:

In maybe Devon's first episode (or at least one where he had a lot of lines) he definitely reminded me of Pete. It was weird. However, in this ep on WU, I kept hearing Kenan's delivery. That was also weird.

I remember a lot of comment last season. I imagine this is why when they had the "I'm Just Pete" short at the start of the season, Devon was there as "black Pete." 

Anyway, sorry, meant to post this after the episode aired, but here's the dress rehearsal report, via Reddit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/LiveFromNewYork/comments/17z7xy9/dress_rehearsal_report_jason_momoatate_mcrae/

On 11/19/2023 at 10:20 AM, peeayebee said:

The L Frank Baum sketch was... different. Who came up with that? I think it was a good idea, but it didn't really go anywhere.

It reminds me a great deal of the sketch where Mikey Day and Chris Pine were prancing around wearing backpacks and the feds were watching them. 

I liked Andrew and JAJ on Update, the castaway sketch, and Sarah's body horror pre-tape. The rest...eh. Momoa felt like one of those returning hosts who was still dealing with first time host nerves. Didn't quite mesh for me, although I'm not a huge fan anyway so that may be a factor.

• Like 1