Type keyword(s) to search

The Fall Guy (2024)

BetterButter
  • Start Topic

25 minutes ago, BetterButter said:

I remember nothing of the TV series except Lee Majors and the theme song. The trailer makes this look fun except You Give Love a Bad Name doesn't feel to me like it suits the tone. Maybe it's because my brain was singing "because I'm the unknown stuntman  who makes Eastwood look so fine"?

• Like 3
11 hours ago, Anela said:

I watched the original as a kid, and if it was hulu that started as one of those sites, offering shows like this for free, I think I watched some of it there, in 2009. 

It was probably Hulu. They started off as a free service with tons of shows from the 1980s and modern series from Fox and another network that appeared on Hulu the day after they aired. If it was 2009, the timing works about right for it to be Hulu.

16 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I remember the show, and as cheesy as it was, was more believable than the snippet I saw of this trailer.

I agree. The show wasn't really about the movie industry, actors or celebrities. It was more like a low-rent A Team. Colt Seavers was a bounty hunter, which was how he made money in between gigs as a stuntman. There was his cousin who had studied a semester of just about everything in almost every college/university. There was a woman, but I cannot remember what her role was. The trailer for the A-Team movie looked awesome and made me want to see the movie. After seeing this trailer, I have no desire to see the movie.

Back when IMDb still had message boards, someone rewrote the theme song lyrics to "The Unknown Stuntman" with modern celebrities and it was awesome. It's a shame that won't be part of this version. 

• Like 3

It took a while in the trailer for the Fall Guy to finally get a mission to find someone but no criminal entanglement seems to be the driving force. I remember a pre Dog bounty hunter chic when the TV series premiered.

I saw the trailer (or maybe it was test footage because I remember it seemed lengthy) and lost interest when I realized it wasn't going to be like the original show that I enjoyed when it first aired. It's not about a stuntman who moonlights as a bounty hunter, so what's the point? 🤷‍♂️

• Like 2
On 2/15/2024 at 10:49 AM, Gharlane said:

I saw the trailer (or maybe it was test footage because I remember it seemed lengthy) and lost interest when I realized it wasn't going to be like the original show that I enjoyed when it first aired. It's not about a stuntman who moonlights as a bounty hunter, so what's the point? 🤷‍♂️

I completely agree. Also, I must be in the minority in that I do not find anything appealing about Gosling as an actor, and keep scratching my head as to how he became A List leading man material.

• Like 1
(edited)

The Fall Guy had is world premiere at SXSW on March 12, 2024, will also be screened at Cinema Con on April 8, and is scheduled to be released in U.S. theaters on May 3...

https://cinemacon.com/schedule#horizontalTab2 

8 APRIL
6:15 PM - 8:45 PM
2024 GALA OPENING NIGHT EVENT
UNIVERSAL PICTURES PRESENTS AN EXCLUSIVE SCREENING OF “THE FALL GUY”

(Doors open at 5:45pm)

Ryan Gosling stars as Colt Seavers, a battle-scarred stuntman who, after an almost career-ending accident, is drafted back into service when the star of a mega-budget studio movie— being directed by his ex, Jody Moreno (Emily Blunt)—goes missing. Now, this working-class hero has to solve a conspiracy and try to win back the love of his life while still doing his day job. Inspired by the hit 1980s TV series, “The Fall Guy” is directed by the blockbuster filmmaker of “Bullet Train” and “Deadpool 2”, David Leitch.

‘The Fall Guy’ Raises The Roof At SXSW World Premiere And Ryan Gosling Didn’t Even Need To Sing
By Anthony D'Alessandro   March 12, 2024
https://deadline.com/2024/03/the-fall-guy-sxsw-ryan-gosling-1235856842/

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Fall Guy director David Leitch will be part of a directors panel at WonderCon on March 30 (plus, exclusive footage from the movie)...

https://wondercon2024.sched.com/event/1azhT/collider-directors-on-directing 

Collider: Directors on Directing

David Leitch (director, Deadpool 2, Bullet Train, and The Fall Guy), Wes Ball (director, The Maze Runner franchise, Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes), and Radio Silence (a.k.a. Matt Bettinelli-Olpin) and Tyler Gillett (directors, Abigail, Scream, and Ready or Not) discuss the craft of directing and projects past, present, and future. The panel will also feature exclusive new footage from The Fall Guy, Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes, and Abigail. Moderated by Collider's editor-in-chief, Steven Weintraub.

Saturday March 30, 2024 1:15pm - 2:30pm PDT

Edited by tv echo

Ryan Gosling and Emily Blunt prepare for action in these exclusive new images from The Fall Guy
By Matt Maytum   March 22, 2024
https://www.gamesradar.com/the-fall-guy-exclusive-images-ryan-gosling-aaron-taylor-johnson/ 

Blunt and Gosling have the kind of sparky banter and electric chemistry that so many on-screen pairings aim for, but few actually manage to deliver. But that’s just one aspect of The Fall Guy to get excited about – it’s also a love letter to stunts, and a rip-roaring meta-comedy about moviemaking. The cast also features Stephanie Hsu as an assistant, Winston Duke as a stunt coordinator and Hannah Waddingham as a pushy producer.

YNt69W6G9JVU7wn93XtX5Q-650-80.jpg

TuWtap559ybGVuGMr36PHQ-1200-80.jpg

SfCF8WuTXkAQirvqkW24XQ-1200-80.jpg

On 2/28/2024 at 6:08 AM, Spaceman Spiff said:

I completely agree. Also, I must be in the minority in that I do not find anything appealing about Gosling as an actor, and keep scratching my head as to how he became A List leading man material.

"He's a good-looking man" is my guess.

• Like 2

Great fun! Other than being stuntmen film Colt Seaver is vastly different that TV Colt Seaver and that works just fine.  It's a Valentine to the stunt community, full stop.  Meta, self-referential but jam packed with action and laughs.  

I enjoyed Ryan Gosling in BARBIE, but for his comedy work I loved THE NICE GUYS and this is near to the level of comedy he achieved in that film.

• Like 2

I liked it. It never really feels like it's threatening to become a great summer movie, which is what I was hoping for based on the pedigrees of many of the people involved (though Leitch has never quite lived up to his solo directorial debut, Atomic Blonde), but it's solidly constructed. Gosling and Blunt are given a lot of space to work, rather than things feeling overly cluttered, and their relationship has enough weight to make you care.

Structurally I kind of wish there was a way to get more of the dynamic between Seavers and Ryder in the early going/setup phase, because that would make him a more impactful figure. As is he's just kind of there.

• Like 2
On 3/20/2024 at 5:15 PM, AimingforYoko said:

This looks like a good time.

It was.  Funny as hell. Ryan and Emily have great chemistry and the love story was good. A couple of cameo appearances in the last couple of minutes. 

• Like 2
(edited)

I liked it, but it did have it's issues. It really could have been much shorter--a few scenes went on way too long--but overall, it's a nice love letter to Hollywood stunt men and women. Ryan Gosling and Emily Blunt are charming, as always, and Ryan once again shows off how good he is at humor. And there was something about that I can't quite put my finger on, but it was reminiscent of an 80s type of movie and that made me smile. It was good, silly, fun.

Edited: Wrong Ryan. ☺️ I fixed it.

Edited by Shannon L.
  • Like 2

Saw it this afternoon.  It was good fun.  I won't remember a lick of it in a few weeks, but it's not meant to be that kind of film.  The end-end scene was great and got a great laugh from the theater.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, AngieBee1 said:

Wrong Ryan. It's the superior Ryan: Gosling.

Oops! Thanks for pointing that out.  As for superior, I their both great in different ways 😀

• Like 1
(edited)

Box Office: ‘The Fall Guy’ Kicks Off Summer Movie Season With Disappointing $28 Million Debut
By Rebecca Rubin   May 5, 2024
https://variety.com/2024/film/box-office/box-office-the-fall-guy-opening-weekend-ryan-gosling-summer-movies-1235992369/ 

“The Fall Guy,” an action-comedy starring Ryan Gosling and Emily Blunt, kicked off the summer movie season without much sizzle.

The film, backed by Universal and directed by David Leitch, fell just short of expectations with $28.5 million from 4,002 North American venues in its debut. Heading into the weekend, “The Fall Guy” was projected to earn at least $30 million to $40 million. The trouble is that the movie cost $140 million to produce, so it needs strong word of mouth and interest at the international box office to recoup its budget during its theatrical run. “The Fall Guy” opened to $25.4 million overseas, bringing its global total to $65.4 million.

“This is a fair opening for a big action-comedy,” says David A. Gross of movie consulting firm Franchise Entertainment Research. “Action comedies are solid performers overseas, and with this cast, foreign business should be good. At [its] cost, ‘The Fall Guy’ is going to need a long run.”

There’s hope that “The Fall Guy” can stick around over the coming weeks… and that’s because Leitch’s prior film, 2022’s Brad Pitt-led assassin thriller “Bullet Train,” overcame similar box office odds. The $90 million-budgeted movie started slow with $30 million in August and legged out to $130 million domestically and $239 million globally.

Also, audiences and critics are digging the film, which landed an “A-” CinemaScore and 83% on Rotten Tomatoes. “The Fall Guy” sees Gosling as a former stuntman who tries to track down a missing movie star (Aaron Taylor-Johnson) so he can salvage a big studio movie, which is being directed by his ex-girlfriend (Blunt).

Edited by tv echo
On 5/5/2024 at 4:40 PM, Shannon L. said:

I liked it, but it did have it's issues. It really could have been much shorter--a few scenes went on way too long--but overall, it's a nice love letter to Hollywood stunt men and women. Ryan Gosling and Emily Blunt are charming, as always, and Ryan once again shows off how good he is at humor. And there was something about that I can't quite put my finger on, but it was reminiscent of an 80s type of movie and that made me smile. It was good, silly, fun.

Edited: Wrong Ryan. ☺️ I fixed it.

Well one thing missing,  they pulled back but in the 80s we would have gotten Heather Thomas in the often mentioned swimming costume 

• Like 1
(edited)

Tried watching today.  I found it a confusing mess and gave up.  It’s in a genre I can’t watch, like Kingsman or Guy Ritchie films, where there’s a lot of senseless action. 

Edited by EtheltoTillie