Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E06: The Stanford Student

• Start Topic

I know we're all supposed to dislike Cory because he's smarmy or whatever, but at least he's charming and enjoyable. I find Bradley to be the bigger asshole, and after everything Cory has done for her - clean up her mess and give her the nightly news gig she wanted - the way she treats him is infuriating. And any time there is tension between them, and certainly after she gets what she wants from him, she goes running to Laura Peterson. 

Alex's back and forth with Paul Marks throughout the episode, especially during the interview, was good stuff. (and Chip was totally jealous! lol) Them hooking up might have repercussions, but I'm not mad at it because chemistry is great and they're both hot. (YMMV)

• Like 12

The pacing of last season was a complete mess, but they really seem to have figured it out this time. I'm very pleased with how most of these episodes flow, and this was no exception. I really want to see what comes next!

That said, this week on Things That Would Never Happen, we have:

1) Another network bigshot (in this case, the person about to buy it) agreeing to be grilled on-air in a no-holds-barred interview on said network,

2) The most esteemed interviewer on that network dropping the f-bomb during the interview,

3) An Elon Musk stand-in who's delighted when people publicly stand up to him and make him look bad, and

4) Hal, of all people, suddenly having a burning desire to be morally upstanding, and then changing course because Bradley's happiness is so important to him.

Also, what was with Paul throwing Mitch's rapey tendencies in Alex's face during the interview (the comment about Mitch's door-closing button)? Alex just ignores that and sleeps with him? Huh?

• Love 2
28 minutes ago, Blakeston said:

The pacing of last season was a complete mess, but they really seem to hav

Also, what was with Paul throwing Mitch's rapey tendencies in Alex's face during the interview (the comment about Mitch's door-closing button)? Alex just ignores that and sleeps with him? Huh?

I thought she was already sleeping with him .  I guess I was wrong. 
What happened to Ukraine guy!? 

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • Like 1

I think they’ve underestimated the Jan 6 storyline. 

Corey-fired

Bradley - fired 

Hal- prison

Do they want us to feel sorry for them?? Imagine if Lester Holt deleted footage of his brother and his boss okayed it? The whole story is bullshit.

• Like 9

A stolen code, is that it? Am expecting something bigger, dirtier and more sinister. Kinda disappointed, TBH. Maybe things will get dirtier once Paul sends Cory packing.

Stella is too green and too emotional to be doing Cory’s job. But will she turn on him after that humiliating restaurant ordeal with the Ads-bros? Stellss, you’ve said it yourself that Paul is ruthless. Don’t fall for it!

Read the room, Chip. Leave the room! You’re still hung up on Alex. And the next thing you do is to propose to your current GF without a ring? Then you yell at her for saying NO? Dude, WTF? 🤦🏻‍♀️

Laura talking to Hal about her feelings is unexpected. Watching Bradley comes running back to her after things have cooled down a bit, it’s exhausting. Wash, rinse, repeat. 🥱

Mia has the best line:

“Norma Rae is coming in a little hot this morning.”

🤣🤣🤣

I don’t expect Alex/Paul bedroom scenes to be that long, elaborated and exposed.

While interviewing Paul, Alex keeps making the same weird expression. What emotion is she trying to emote? Constipation? 😳

0FDC3B39-66E4-461F-8061-34D557975D44.jpeg

• Like 1
  • LOL 8
1 minute ago, Snazzy Daisy said:

A stolen code, is that it? Am expecting something bigger, dirtier and more sinister. Kinda disappointed, TBH. Maybe things will get dirtier once Paul sends Cory packing.

Stella is too green and too emotional to be doing Cory’s job. But will she turn on him after that humiliating restaurant ordeal with the Ads-bros? Stellss, you’ve said it yourself that Paul is ruthless. Don’t fall for it!

Read the room, Chip. Leave the room! You’re still hung up on Alex. And the next thing you do is to propose to your current GF without a ring? Then you yell at her for saying NO? Dude, WTF? 🤦🏻‍♀️

Laura talking to Hal about her feelings is unexpected. Watching Bradley comes running back to her after things have cooled down a bit, it’s exhausting. Wash, rinse, repeat. 🥱

Mia has the best line:

“Norma Rae is coming in a little hot this morning.”

🤣🤣🤣

I don’t expect Alex/Paul bedroom scenes to be that long, elaborated and exposed.

While interviewing Paul, Alex keeps making the same weird expression. What emotion is she trying to emote? Constipation? 😳

0FDC3B39-66E4-461F-8061-34D557975D44.jpeg

I took it to mean she was touched by his admission.

Though it lasted for awhile…that was a strange directorial choice for sure lol

• LOL 1
18 hours ago, funnygirl said:

Them hooking up might have repercussions, but I'm not mad at it because chemistry is great and they're both hot. (YMMV)

The chemistry between them is incredible. More of them and less of Bradley please. I’m tired of her soap opera storylines. 

• Like 5
5 hours ago, Snazzy Daisy said:

Stellss, you’ve said it yourself that Paul is ruthless. Don’t fall for it!

She said it because she thought he outright stole the code from her. He looked suitably sorry for that situation so not as dire as she made out. And now she gets to run the company, not something she’d give away easily. 

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Blakeston said:

4) Hal, of all people, suddenly having a burning desire to be morally upstanding, and then changing course because Bradley's happiness is so important to him.

I just rolled my eyes at Hal.  Talk about not thinking a plan through.  I just want to tell him that no, his daughter won't be proud that her dad is in prison for assaulting a police officer, and both she and his wife will be long gone by the time he gets out.  

I did notice that Jennifer Aniston must have been wearing a ton of make up during that scene between she and Jon Hamm in Alex's dressing room.  You could see that the white collar on her shirt was just caked with foundation. 

• Mind Blown 1
1 hour ago, bilgistic said:

I'm standing out here alone because I don't see any chemistry between Jennifer and Jon. It's like watching wet white bread grow mold. Jen can't act and always looks constipated. Don't throw tomatoes at me.

Don't agree. Jon Hamm would have chemistry with a light post.

• Like 5
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, bilgistic said:

I'm standing out here alone because I don't see any chemistry between Jennifer and Jon. It's like watching wet white bread grow mold. Jen can't act and always looks constipated. Don't throw tomatoes at me.

I'm with you. I thought the entire thing was embarrassing - visually and the story twist.

In fact, this season has gone full soap opera. Where is the well-paced, mostly thoughtful, interesting storytelling of the previous seasons?

Also, it's annoying to have to look at the botched facework on several of them.

I'm out.

• Like 3

Count me in with those who thought the big secret Stella was keeping about Paul was leaning in a different direction. Also, is she so blind that she doesn't see that offering her Cory's job is a pay off?

That being said, I'm enjoying the hell out of John Hamm, who admittedly I never paid much attention to before. (I never watched Mad Men.) He is acting circles around most - especially Greta Lee (Stella) - who I find to be a weak actor. (I have never seen her in anything else either.)

Chip, Chip, Chip. What is with you?

• Like 2

I totally wouldn’t put it past this damn show for revealing in Season 4 that Bradley and Laura were at the Supernova music festival in Israel, Laura was raped and murdered and Bradley recorded all of it  on her phone before her miraculous escape. 

• Like 3
  • LOL 1
On 10/11/2023 at 12:51 PM, tomsmom said:

I think they’ve underestimated the Jan 6 storyline. 

Corey-fired

Bradley - fired 

Hal- prison

Do they want us to feel sorry for them?? Imagine if Lester Holt deleted footage of his brother and his boss okayed it? The whole story is bullshit.

I mentioned last week how stupid this plotline is and it continues to get dumber. I feel like even if Bradley didn't take the video and had no idea her brother was at the Capitol on Jan 6 until he came forward and could some how prove it, she still would probably lose her job if this was real. Absolutely if there was even a possibility that she knew before hand and covered it up.

On 10/11/2023 at 1:32 PM, Snazzy Daisy said:

I wasn't super paying attention to the interview but from what I gathered he was a venture capital guy who bought their company and it actually took off and made a bunch of money. And when he bought it he paid a reasonable price for it. So what is the issue? If Stella could have developed it on her own she would have; isn't that the whole point of VC people. And don't they usually lose money on a bunch of projects just hoping one hits it big?

• Like 2

It sounds like Stella was angry at Paul for two reasons:

1) Her idea was about using technology to help people, and Paul turned it into a racial profiling tool for the police, and 

2) He paid her only $50K for a "billion dollar" idea, and never gave her credit.

Regarding #2, I don't think that would be any kind of scandal. He and Stella tried selling the idea, and no one wanted it, so he paid her the standard price for it. He didn't necessarily know how much money it would end up being worth, and he may have developed it significantly before he was able to profit off of it.

It's more than that, though. It's about the normalization of unethical behavior by millionaires and billionaires (on the show and IRL). Paul screwed over a student he mentored, so who knows what he would do to someone with whom he's in business.

On 10/11/2023 at 7:08 AM, Blakeston said:

That said, this week on Things That Would Never Happen, we have:

May I propose another one?  Bradley's apartment door?  On every show or movie set in NYC that I can recall, people have solid steel doors with about 8 deadlocks.  Bradley has a giant pane of tinted glass.  Maybe it was explained earlier and I missed it - doorman building with extreme security?

• Like 1
On 10/13/2023 at 7:56 PM, Kel Varnsen said:

I mentioned last week how stupid this plotline is and it continues to get dumber. I feel like even if Bradley didn't take the video and had no idea her brother was at the Capitol on Jan 6 until he came forward and could some how prove it, she still would probably lose her job if this was real. Absolutely if there was even a possibility that she knew before hand and covered it up.

I guess I can wave away the incredible lack of chemistry of most of the leads, the self importance and arrogance of the leads but this was a line that made Bradley, her brother and Corey felons. As a result I gave up on the show. Decent for a couple of shows but that was it. I am out.

3 minutes ago, juno said:

I guess I can wave away the incredible lack of chemistry of most of the leads, the self importance and arrogance of the leads but this was a line that made Bradley, her brother and Corey felons. As a result I gave up on the show. Decent for a couple of shows but that was it, it is garbage now. I am out.

On 10/13/2023 at 3:24 PM, RunningMarket said:

That being said, I'm enjoying the hell out of John Hamm, who admittedly I never paid much attention to before. (I never watched Mad Men.) He is acting circles around most - especially Greta Lee (Stella) - who I find to be a weak actor. (I have never seen her in anything else either.)

Chip, Chip, Chip. What is with you?

I loved him in Mad Men and think he's great in this and has gotten even hunkier (made-up word sorry) as he's aged. I do see chemistry between Paul and Alex, but Jennifer Aniston's Botox and/or filler is distracting, especially in close-up. Her face just looks odd to me although I can't pinpoint what it is exactly.