Type keyword(s) to search

Season 1 - Episodes 1 through 11 Discussion

AnimeMania
  • Start Topic

If Gabi really has Sir in her basement (not her imagination) and wants him out, she would probably want him to be either (1) dead, or (2) in a vegetative state or otherwise unable to communicate, or (3) so obviously insane that the police would not believe anything he said. Maybe there are drugs that could do (3). Then she could leave him outside her house so people would assume he had been stalking her. 

• Like 1

I want to like this show, but I have a hard time with the main character, I don't find her particularly likeable.  Not sure how else to say it.  I get that she's a victim of a horrific year, so not sure what else they could do with her character, but I just never see her showing much friendship.  She does, but for some reason I don't find it sincere.  Not sure how else to put it.

• Like 12

S01.E09: Missing While Scamming

IMG_4182.jpeg

A social media influencer is kidnapped for ransom. As they search for clues, it becomes apparent the case is more complicated than anticipated. Lacy confronts Gabi about their faltering friendship. Sir remembers troubling moments from his past.

Premiere Date: Tuesday, November 28, 2023     NBC          10pm   

Eden Lee as Riley Davis
Eltony Williams as Harris Morgan

Well, I guess a Sir backstory episode was inevitable. Not that I needed one. I'm slightly more interested in how he got to the point of kidnapping people; and how he managed to get young Gabi.

I was watching distracted, so I didn't follow all the twists of the case; but I guess now we know what happens when everything doesn't turn out fine for a kidnapee. (It had to happen at some point, right?) Technically, they found her, though? But it looks as though M&A's reputation is going to take a hit.

They really need to figure out what they want to do with Cop Ex. Is he going to be on The Team; or with the cops/FBI/whatever? He can't keep straddling the fence; Gabi already has a team of vigilantes. Let him be in or out.

Good that Trauma Mom is getting therapy, but if the writers want to keep her story depressing, I can see her missing a break in her case as soon as she stops going to the bus station.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Trini said:

Good that Trauma Mom is getting therapy, but if the writers want to keep her story depressing, I can see her missing a break in her case as soon as she stops going to the bus station.

Being there everyday for 13 year's she knows the worker's that work that shift and know what she's been doing. And the writers is gonna have a worker tell her they saw someone fit the description but you wasn't there that night, and that's gonna hit her harder bc she wasn't there.

• Like 1

So Zeke just has a spare million dollars sitting in his bank account that he can use as ransom money? He’s a millionaire? What happens when the next ransom case comes up, is he going to come up with another million or say “sorry, spent it on that one lady in November.” Maybe, instead of using the money on cases, he can save it in case a team member is ever kidnapped and held for ransom. Shows like this love that type of plot. Or maybe use that money to find a good agoraphobia therapist. And how big is Zeke’s trust fund if he’s been funding this whole operation for years? 

I wonder how much disbelief we’re expected to suspend before we’re like “this crap is too implausible” and stop watching. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 2

Ok so I REALLY didn’t follow this case at all. I got an influencer was kidnapped. I got that she was in a wheelchair for some reason and I think that was her “hook?” As an influencer? But it was largely set dressing and nothing was real. I don’t understand why the assistant kidnapped her or exactly who the older woman that put him up to it was or why. And at one point someone said something about poly relationships? What? 

and who was it that “woke up” at the end in the hospital.?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Frisky Wig said:

So Zeke just has a spare million dollars sitting in his bank account that he can use as ransom money? He’s a millionaire?

I thought in the 1st episode they mentioned Zeke's family was rich and he was the one funding the operation?

• Like 2

The influencer was in a throuple with two other people. I don't think that was related to the case, it was just a fact about her life. I think her being in a wheelchair was also just a fact. Some people are in throuples, some people are in wheelchairs, some are both of those things.

The one thing about her being in a chair that was relevant to the case was that she apparently thought (and said) that if she, in a chair, could succeed in life, then nobody else had any excuses. That's a shitty thing to say and shows she was somehow simultaneously self-pitying and also unsympathetic to others, but (and maybe I missed it), I don't think her being a wheelchair user was her hook so much as just part of the facts of her life. Or maybe I don't understand how "influencer culture" works. It seems pretty random, to me, who gets famous that way or why anyone does.

It did seem like she was pretending to have more money than she actually had, but in that case, I don't know how she has such a nice house and more than half a million dollars lying around for ransoming. Maybe my idea of financial success is different than the show's.

The two kidnappers were her assistants, and they hated her because they thought she was a nasty person and they also say she wasn't paying them well enough. So they tried to ransom her to "get their fair pay" and also because they wanted to cause her to suffer since they hated her for the hateful things she said.

I didn't get why the one kidnapper was willing to kill the other kidnapper and was happy to extort money, but was sad that they accidentally killed the influencer. I mean, if you're only in it for cash and revenge against the influencer, then why would you be cool with killing your co-conspirator who was also allegedly being mistreated by the influencer? And if murder is so okay with you, then why would you seemingly be genuinely upset about the influencer you hate dying, when the pre-meditated murder of your co-conspirator was a-ok and seemed totally justifiable to you? I guess the mind of a deranged person might not be totally consistent, but it that was the part I found confusing.

• Like 1
  • Applause 4
  • Useful 1

Thank you both for your explanations. Even if the plot explanation didn’t actually make it any better of an episode! 😆

This was my least favorite by far. 

also, I know WHY they do it, but I really hate when show runners and writers have basically every character headed for a complete come apart and they all reach it at the same time and everything implodes.  Y'all take turns! Not everyone is allowed to hold the mental breakdown stick at the same time!

• Like 3
  • Love 1

I also appreciate the explanations! I apparently zoned out a few times, or maybe the storytelling was just poor. Or both. I was mainly confused as to why the two assistants kidnapped her.

I did appreciate getting a bit of the background on Sir. But I'm also not clear on how it turned him into a kidnapper. Maybe believing that was the only way to get someone to love him? Hopefully, they'll explain more later.

Was anyone else bothered that Gabi was at the office sick? She at least could have done some parts of that from home. They should have everyone else be sick next ep.

Her story about the basement seemed like BS to me, so I'm surprised that Lacey bought it?

I do think it's good in terms of realism for them to not find one of the kidnapping victims in time. And probably for the plot. Though I don't want it to turn into an M&A vs. police thing all the time either.

• Like 3

The male and the female assistant planned the kidnapping together, but the victim only saw the male assistant. I think the female assistant planned this so that when the victim was returned, she would only implicate the male assistant. This would allow the female assistant to kill the male assistant and return to her job like nothing happened, she would just need to successfully hide the body. Accidentally killing the victim means the female assistant has no job to return to and she now has a murder rap on her hands. It is best to kill everybody in the room so that nobody knows the female assistant was ever there.

• Useful 2
8 hours ago, HelloooKitty said:

This episode is the one with the highest rating on IMDB. I highly disagree with that. And find it confusing. 

Probably because we find out some of  Sir's backstory.  Not going to lie, part of what keeps me watching is to learn what makes this monster tick.  

• Like 7
2 hours ago, FlowerofCarnage said:

Probably because we find out some of  Sir's backstory.  Not going to lie, part of what keeps me watching is to learn what makes this monster tick.  

Also he finally has a name. I was getting annoyed with him being called "Sir" for no apparent reason. It's especially weird if they were in fact acquainted prior to her kidnapping. 

• Like 2
15 hours ago, MarylandGirl said:

Her story about the basement seemed like BS to me, so I'm surprised that Lacey bought it?

The most BS lol 

I thought the acting on Gabi’s part was great in that moment, very ‘I’m lying and even not trying very hard to sell it because I know you just want answers’. And I think Lacey knows it’s a lie but wants to believe in Gabi again so she’s going with it? That and the fact that Gabi pulling a reverse kidnapping probably isn’t something she’s seriously considered. I definitely think the show should’ve developed in their relationship a little more before delving into the angst because sometimes I don’t entirely buy their closeness (half the time they give ‘work friends’ and other times it’s ’this is the person I trust most in the world’ and it doesn’t quite mesh) but I really liked this interaction in terms of character work. 

• Like 3

Gabi should have just said the basement was her "Panic Room" a fortified location where she kept provisions and weapons in case of an emergency. We did see her go down there and bring up a case of water for Lacey. It is not as if Lacey doesn't have just as many locks on her apartment door for the same reason.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
7 minutes ago, possibilities said:

But if she called it a panic room, Lacey would probably want to go in there, either when she's scared, or "to get provisions" at some point.

Lacey has no reason to go down there, who brings themselves and their huge dog over somebody's house to stay, uninvited.

There is no reason she couldn't fix it up a little bit to be more convincing, there is already a toilet and a bed down there. Add a generator, some storage cabinets, supplies and weapons. Then build a wall with a secret entrance so no one can see your guest. OR Gabi could build a high-tech impenetrable looking door at the bottom of the steps and seal off the stairs, that would definitely stop Nosey Nellies from fear they might get stuck forever between the two doors.

• Like 2

How rich are/were Zeke's parents?  He can help get the business up and running and just throw out a million dollars?  And how long has he been living in that basement? There's no way he can have a real relationship while suffering with severe agoraphobia. I don't care what anyone says. Sir, would also be a child sexual predator, too. He kidnapped three young girls that we know of. He hates his mother and women in general.  The series prefers the outlandish basement storyline over something more serious and realistic. Realistic isn't something the series is trying to be outside of kidnap victims dealing with trauma and the police not caring about certain people who go missing. I actually was waiting for them to show victims who don't make it because there's no such thing as every missing person being found alive or being found at all. It's not healthy to sit at a bus station everyday for 13 years and I'm glad there was some movement with that. Her grieve made her neglect her other children. Agent Ward needs to put himself first because Gabbi isn't ready for all of that.  

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

Sir saying that he and Gabi being sick at the same time was inevitable because they're ~*connected*~ cracked me up. I wanted her to say something like, "Then I guess I'm connected to the postman and the grocery cashier, too, since that's how colds work???" I was also weirded out that she was sick at the office. In a way, I'm glad that they didn't bring the reality that is COVID into this world but I was like, "girl, mask up!"

I wasn't a fan of this episode either, though I was pleasantly (?) surprised that his backstory was not about him having lost a child.

• Like 1
  • LOL 3

The implausibility of the show is starting to get to me.  I still can't figure out how famous and 'important' the agency is when they have had maybe 20-25 cases.  I also can't figure out how wealthy Zeke is for all of the expensive housing, outfits, and lifestyles of the employees are on top of the fabulous office space they have and that they take on so many pro bono cases.  

I also don't appreciate how entitled they feel to demand that law enforcement be secondary to their agency's agenda.

Also, I apologize for this being all in italics but the italics button wouldn't turn off and I am not going to spend too much time trying to figure out the site as I deal with pop-up ads and other irritants.

• Like 5
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, KeithJ said:

The more I watch this show, the more I really dislike the main character.  I’ll finish out this season but I doubt I’ll be tuning in for season 2.

I tapped out after the third episode but I’ve been following the forums to see if it’s worth going back. It’s going to depend on what happens with “Sir” because if he’s really there in the basement and not a figment of her imagination, I just don’t see a way around this for her. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

The implausibility of the show is starting to get to me.  I still can't figure out how famous and 'important' the agency is when they have had maybe 20-25 cases.  I also can't figure out how wealthy Zeke is for all of the expensive housing, outfits, and lifestyles of the employees are on top of the fabulous office space they have and that they take on so many pro bono cases.  

I also don't appreciate how entitled they feel to demand that law enforcement be secondary to their agency's agenda.

Also, I apologize for this being all in italics but the italics button wouldn't turn off and I am not going to spend too much time trying to figure out the site as I deal with pop-up ads and other irritants.

It's weird, because I agree with what you're saying about their endless money and others about not liking Gabi too much.  There are other characters with aspects I don't like... and Sir not being a figment of her imagination...  and still, I enjoy the show.  Weird.  Maybe when other shows start their seasons I'll move away from this show...

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, Johannah said:

It's weird, because I agree with what you're saying about their endless money and others about not liking Gabi too much.  There are other characters with aspects I don't like... and Sir not being a figment of her imagination...  and still, I enjoy the show.  Weird.  Maybe when other shows start their seasons I'll move away from this show...

I feel similarly. Gabi just seems too...something. I'm not sure if it's about how the character is written or possibly something about how the actress portrays her? Like maybe if someone else were in the role, I'd feel differently?

Partly wondering that because with The Irrational, I really like Jesse L. Martin and wonder if I only like the lead character because he's the actor? Like with someone else in the role, would I not watch the show? Especially because, aside from his sister, most of the other characters annoy me.

I like most of the other characters (and actors) on Found. But there do seem to be some contrivances that are a bit much, like Margaret having to be at the bus station every night or Zeke seeming to have endless funds. Like, are they sustainable? Same with Sir in the basement.

I do wonder if I'm partly into this because other shows aren't around that I normally watch, like you mentioned. I'm definitely watching until the end of this season, but want to see what they do with the Sir in the basement storyline.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, sharifa70 said:

I tapped out after the third episode but I’ve been following the forums to see if it’s worth going back. It’s going to depend on what happens with “Sir” because if he’s really there in the basement and not a figment of her imagination, I just don’t see a way around this for her. 

I think they're setting it up to have Sir be all in her head.  There have been sightings of him after she captured him and he just happened to get sick the same time she did (I know that's possible but she doesn't spend that much time with him).  Although, didn't the tech guy a couple of episodes ago see a heat signature in the house when it was supposed to be empty?  Even then though, why would he not bring that fact up?  Hey Gabi, is someone in your house?

Edited by KeithJ
  • Like 2
22 minutes ago, KeithJ said:

I think they're setting it up to have Sir be all in her head.  There have been sightings of him after she captured him and he just happened to get sick the same time she did (I know that's possible but she doesn't spend that much time with him).  Although, didn't the tech guy a couple of episodes ago see a heat signature in the house when it was supposed to be empty?  Even then though, why would he not bring that fact up?  Hey Gabi, is someone in your house?

He asked her if there were still police at her house and she said yes, so he just assumed there were police IN her house, when, I think, they were only outside - but, he didn't know that and he couldn't tell from the heat signature that it was in the basement. I wonder, though, if he was suspicious of her answer and will check again later when he knows the police are gone.

• Like 2

I don't know exactly how the heat-detecting technology works, so this might be really stupid. But is it possible they assumed that it was something like a hot water heater or a heating unit in the basement? Or was what they showed on screen, with the heat image of Sir, just what *Gabi* pictured it as?

• Like 1

I decided not to even try The Irrational because I had an aversion to the actor-- just from the commercials I opted not to try it. So I definitely think if you don't tolerate a particular actor for some irrational reason, you might not like the show they're on.

But, as far as the implausibility factor goes, while I don't disagree that such implausibilities abound, I also think that almost every TV show out there has lots of totally impossible things in it.

So, it all comes down to what you're willing to go along with for the ride, vs what just doesn't feel like it rewards you for suspending your annoyance with the contrivances.

I know people with traumas that develop totally ridiculous coping mechanisms, so I don't find the bus station to be beyond what I'm willing to believe a character might do, though obviously it's on the larger side of irrationality. But TV dramatizes things all the time and it would be boring to watch someone whose trauma rituals are stuck on the "lights a candle every year on the anniversary of their disappearance" so I just roll with this show. They are trying to show that people who survive horrors have lifelong issues, and to do it without resorting to misery porn tropes, where they are all 100% dysfunctional people whose sole contribution to society would be to keep the local liquor store and/or drug dealer funded, and to lie in a puddle of tears. 

I like how they make each person on the team a mix of messy and heroic, and that they are highlighting the solidarity that comes from a shared experience other people don't fully understand, without glorifying the messy behavior. They show how it harms both them and the others in their orbit (daughter of bus station mom, Lacey in the face of Gabi's lying). But they also show that these people have insights and gifts that allow them to help each other and other people who have been discounted by the mainstream (cops not solving cases, etc).

It's definitely not perfect, but I don't think it's more implausible than any other show.

• Like 5

I can see how some might not like Gabi, but I can roll with a (reasonably) flawed hero. She's not the first to be messy.

3 hours ago, KeithJ said:

I think they're setting it up to have Sir be all in her head. 

I hope not! I really want to see the fallout of her keeping a dude in her basement.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, MarylandGirl said:

I feel similarly. Gabi just seems too...something. I'm not sure if it's about how the character is written or possibly something about how the actress portrays her? Like maybe if someone else were in the role, I'd feel differently?

Gabi is harsh all the time. Even when she being nice and caring, she's harsh. She's serious all that the time, so it's as if she can't convey the full range of emotions. There's no levity, no joking. I understand how her trauma could make her be that way, but it does make the character unpleasant to watch at times.

3 hours ago, MarylandGirl said:

But there do seem to be some contrivances that are a bit much, like Margaret having to be at the bus station every night or Zeke seeming to have endless funds. Like, are they sustainable? Same with Sir in the basement.

I've never been quite clear on whether Margaret sleeps at the bus station or if she stays up all night. That seems totally unsustainable, not to mention if she were a real person, her back would be all jacked up.

Edited by mrsbagnet
  • Like 3
2 hours ago, mrsbagnet said:

Gabi is harsh all the time. Even when she being nice and caring, she's harsh. She's serious all that the time, so it's as if she can't convey the full range of emotions. There's no levity, no joking. I understand how her trauma could make her be that way, but it does make the character unpleasant to watch at times.

I've never been quite clear on whether Margaret sleeps at the bus station or if she stays up all night. That seems totally unsustainable, not to mention if she were a real person, her back would be all jacked up.

Yes, this is what it is, that Gabi seems harsh all the time. That's why I think it might be something with the actress and how she's playing the part?

I'm all for flawed heroes, as mentioned by @Trini One that jumps to mind is Gregory House. But while he was a total ass much of the time, Hugh Laurie played the role with a certain vulnerability. So you'd still root for him. Plus he did a lot of joking around. (Maybe that's a bad comparison, but it's the first that jumped to my mind of shows I watched regularly. And he has the trauma of his leg.)

Maybe with Gabi, it is intentional--she feels that to be safe, she has to always be sort of "hard," to not let her guard down and her vulnerability show, even among people around whom she should feel safe or places where she can relax. I mean, if Sir is actually in the basement, she's even made her home into a place that's unsafe rather than a sanctuary. She always looks put together, too.

I'm also unclear with Margaret. It would be interesting if they showed where she was in the middle of the night as part of the plot of some episode. Maybe if the team is investigating the bus station as part of some other missing person?

It occurs to me that Margaret seems almost the opposite of Gabi--that she just seems completely broken and looks on the verge of tears (at least to me) at any time. Though both are still very much tied to their past.

• Like 2

S01.E10: Missing While Indoctrinated

1701335195_header.jpg

Gabi and the team revisit a previous case involving child trafficking and their heated investigation leads them in a shocking direction. Gabi confronts Sir about another one of his possible victims.

Premiere Date: Tuesday, December 5, 2023     NBC          10pm   

found-episode-10b.jpg

Dwight Hicks as Darrell Wallace
Zander Grable as Tony Edwards
Sterling Jones as Patrick Edwards
Rena Maliszewski as Paula Chapman
Najah Bradley as Jinny Coe
Dana Gourrier as Andrea Robinson
Brandon Stanley as David Hall
Chloe Flowers as Camilla

• Like 1

Has anything on primetime TV ever been as absurdly cringe as the student dramatically telling Gabi that she feels unseen and alone while grabbing her phone and developing the "I am Bobby" hashtag? Teenagers do not behave that way.

Why was there nobody else in the school hallway apart from the M&A crew? 

Spoiler

Even though Chloe was the perpetrator

How were they allowed access to the school and how was Gabi never prosecuted for literally threatening Chloe?

Also ridiculous cringe in having Zeke's dad have the PI license. Did he go to the police department and ask for a hard copy to give his son?

Once again Zeke's ridiculous computer accessibility super powers are on display. Of course he can easily access the automaker's files. 

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

I am calling it now;. Annie was never kidnapped by Sir. She was groomed by him into being an accomplice.  The showing up at the cabin, the note in the book were all designed to keep Gabi in line.  

It was obvious Sir was Gabi's teacher or therapist.  Poor teen Gabi, she trusted him and probably confided in Sir and he used that trust to kidnap her and have her to fullfil his twisted family fantasy.

Sir wanting redemption...boy, bye!  Loved that Gabi let him know that it will never happen.

• Like 6
  • Useful 3
11 hours ago, possibilities said:

I want Zeke's sweater.

How did Gabi not know he was her teacher?

Why would Annie be naive enough to show up there without bringing back up with her the first time? 

She knew he was her teacher, we just weren't privy to this information before. But she apparently didn't realize that Annie was also a former student. 

This show is glib, facile, slick and often silly, and I don’t really like Gabi either. But I can't not watch it

• Like 6
  • Useful 1
On 12/4/2023 at 8:06 PM, MarylandGirl said:

Maybe with Gabi, it is intentional--she feels that to be safe, she has to always be sort of "hard," to not let her guard down and her vulnerability show, even among people around whom she should feel safe or places where she can relax. I mean, if Sir is actually in the basement, she's even made her home into a place that's unsafe rather than a sanctuary. She always looks put together, too.

Oh I think it is absolutely intentional.  And this is a great way to encapsulate it.  This woman is bearing a whole lot of weight approx.  what ...?  6 foot?  190 lbs?  In the form of Sir.  She is lying to everyone and is holding someone hostage.  She has to be guarded at all times. Even beyond her issues with Sir, I just don't get the impression Gabi's life has been easy.  And I wonder if the actress is using that to fuel the character?

I agree that she serious but I don't agree that she is harsh all the time.  She's shown gentleness to the people she rescues, especially the younger ones.  And they've shown her being a bit flirty with Trent only to pretty visibly shut it down when he seems to see it as a sign to get closer to her.

Of all the the characters, I see Gabi and Dhan as most similar who act outward with their coping, usually behind a very tough, aggressive facade, whereas the other three are inward and much more emotional with their coping.

I  quite like Gabi but I am really curious if/when they are gonna let her crack a bit. She seems ripe for it.

• Like 4
  • Love 4

I think I'm out.  I just don't like enough characters and don't want to continue being frustrated with their magical abilities to operate however they want.  I've watched all of the episodes and have really tried to like this show but somehow I just...don't.

• Like 5
  • Useful 2
10 hours ago, FlowerofCarnage said:

I am calling it now;. Annie was never kidnapped by Sir. She was groomed by him into being an accomplice.  The showing up at the cabin, the note in the book were all designed to keep Gabi in line.  

It was obvious Sir was Gabi's teacher or therapist.  Poor teen Gabi, she trusted him and probably confided in Sir and he used that trust to kidnap her and have her to fullfil his twisted family fantasy.

Sir wanting redemption...boy, bye!  Loved that Gabi let him know that it will never happen.

Oh, your thought about Annie makes a lot of sense! As thinking that Sir killed Annie would make Gabi be afraid to try to get anyone else to help her, or else they'd end up getting killed, too.

I still wonder if Sir lost a daughter in some way. Via death, running away, a wife divorcing him and taking off with their child--something to trigger him to kidnap a child. Unless maybe the school fired him, so he needed a student?

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
14 hours ago, cfinboston said:

Has anything on primetime TV ever been as absurdly cringe as the student dramatically telling Gabi that she feels unseen and alone while grabbing her phone and developing the "I am Bobby" hashtag? Teenagers do not behave that way.

Why was there nobody else in the school hallway apart from the M&A crew? 

Reveal spoiler

Even though Chloe was the perpetrator

How were they allowed access to the school and how was Gabi never prosecuted for literally threatening Chloe?

Also ridiculous cringe in having Zeke's dad have the PI license. Did he go to the police department and ask for a hard copy to give his son?

Once again Zeke's ridiculous computer accessibility super powers are on display. Of course he can easily access the automaker's files. 

4 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

I think I'm out.  I just don't like enough characters and don't want to continue being frustrated with their magical abilities to operate however they want.  I've watched all of the episodes and have really tried to like this show but somehow I just...don't.

I think the people who make this show believe the writing is way better than it actually is. The show *looks* like it should be good: an attractive cast who are all decent to really good actors, well-styled sets, and movie-like cinematography. But the writing is so ridiculous that it ruins it.

• Like 5
14 hours ago, FlowerofCarnage said:

I was coming here to comment that the Annie situation seems off, but her being an accomplice (willingly??) would be an explanation.

• Like 1