Type keyword(s) to search

Irrational Season 1 Eps 1-6

AnimeMania
  • Start Topic

2 hours ago, kaygeeret said:

Didn't someone once claim that Shakespeare had written all plots for stories?

Not being a Shakespeare scholar, I have no idea if it's true, but what the heck, let's see what this show makes of the usual urban crime scenario.

I've heard that. Everything is Shakespeare except Die Hard.

• LOL 6
23 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

One potential problem with this episode, "Does the police test your blood alcohol level when you claim you committed a crime and were too drunk to remember what happened?" I would think that how drunk you were at the time of the incident would be important information if the case went to trial.

I imagine that, bare minimum, the defense attorney would be able to go "So, you didn't take someone in your custody who stated he did not remember what happened to the hospital to get checked out?"

• Like 3
19 hours ago, bros402 said:

I imagine that, bare minimum, the defense attorney would be able to go "So, you didn't take someone in your custody who stated he did not remember what happened to the hospital to get checked out?"

I thought that he was the guy blown off the stairs with the clothes on his back on fire.

That should have gotten him a trip to the hospital prior to any cops talking to him.

• Like 1
On 9/28/2023 at 4:31 PM, peacheslatour said:

There was an episode of CI that had the same plot.

Yup, "30" with Lee Tergesen as the victim. The make up there was something else. The guy even looked like death warmed over by the end of the episode.

Hope this show can do right by the movie, too.

• Like 2
18 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

S01.E02: Dead Woman Walking

I really thought that the RA was lying about her mother to get Nicole to talk to CJ because that would show that she was learning from the professor. Disappointing that it was true, I guess only Alec is allowed to have the magic.

Why didn't Gene just get a job at another paper and build his own reputation? He would have had all the connections he got from his time with CJ, The kind of psychopathic thinking that made him think that polonium poisoning was a better solution would have shown up long ago.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Like 4

I feel like they’re going to rely on the explosion flashback scene too much in this series. We’ve seen Alec’s scars and gotten something of an explanation so now it just feels repetitive.

I should have been in more suspense this episode than I was, but the writing and timing felt so flat, and the trope about CJ and her daughter felt tired/predictable from other media. I only felt super compelled during Gene’s confession and was kind of shocked when CJ woke up and, as it turned out, had heard the whole thing. 

I may come back next week, but I may not given NBC’s way of hyping up promos but then making them go bust. 

While I am bored with the entire ex/wife/hubby push /pull, the brother/sister relationship is beginning to show some promise.

At least it is somewhat different and I am hoping for the best.

I'm in it for the long haul due to JLM so am willing to sit thru the 'growing pains' of a new series.

Just, PLEASE dump the ex/hubby/wife trope.

• Like 6

Second episode: The sister continues to be the best supporting character, and the whole thing with The Ex is still the most annoying part.

I thought the writing partner was too obvious to be the killer, but then they didn't really show any other suspects, so, yeah.

JLM pulls it off either way, but I wish they'd let him keep his gray.

I will give this show credit that Alec, unlike most genius consultants on TV, is seemingly a nice person and not on that 'socially inept to abrasive jerk' spectrum.  So at least that's refreshing.

I'll probably stick with this because there not much else new on, but there's nothing that's a "must see" for me yet.

Edited by Trini
  • Like 11

I am still enjoying this show, although they need to figure out who they are and soon. I had the second episode on while I was in the kitchen and I knew it was the partner as soon as I heard him talking. I also immediately knew who the killer was last week. That's okay if that is what the show is going for, not a mystery "who dun it" but watching how our guy proves it. I am enjoying the sibling relationship. Why did he need a ride everywhere, what happened to his car? I wonder if this show could become a Murder She Wrote type show. I do love that JLM's character is not a jerk. I don't hate the ex-wife but the relationship is not necessary, they could just be colleagues. Hopefully it hits its stride soon.

• Like 7

I really want to like this show because I love Jesse L. Martin, but the first two episodes were so simplistic and full of cliches.  I guessed both murderers when they first appeared on the screen, which is a very bad sign.  I like Alex's interactions with his sister, but not much else.  I'll keep watching for the time being because, well, Jesse L. Martin, since there's not much else right now.  Once more shows I like are back, however, I may be outta here.

On 10/2/2023 at 11:21 PM, AnimeMania said:

CJ said to Alec that she didn't tell Gene.

Gene said to Alec CJ told me.

Good catch.

16 hours ago, kaygeeret said:

While I am bored with the entire ex/wife/hubby push /pull, the brother/sister relationship is beginning to show some promise.

That really is the only good part of the show.  I'd watch an hour of them talking.

1 hour ago, AnimeMania said:

He crashed his car in episode 1.

That poor beautiful car. 😪

• Like 4

I just watched the first episode of Found, and I think that JLM really should have stayed with Greg Berlanti (who produced The Flash and produces Found). Martin is a good actor but this show's characters and their interactions really aren't interesting enough. Nor is the simplified psychology or the fact that only Alec can be the magician.. Even House spread the brilliance around.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
On 10/3/2023 at 11:59 PM, Trini said:

I will give this show credit that Alec, unlike most genius consultants on TV, is seemingly a nice person and not on that 'socially inept to abrasive jerk' spectrum.  So at least that's refreshing

Yes I love that he's nice and even fatherly to his research assistant. I'm so tired of geniuses treating everyone like crap and getting away with it.

• Like 8
On 10/6/2023 at 1:20 PM, peacheslatour said:

Cough cough..ahem monk..cough cough.

At least with Monk, he had an excuse for the first season when he was practically being dragged out of his apartment to consult. Then when Sharona left, Natalie just let him walk over her.

• Like 3
11 hours ago, bros402 said:

At least with Monk, he had an excuse for the first season when he was practically being dragged out of his apartment to consult. Then when Sharona left, Natalie just let him walk over her.

She really did and it wouldn't bother me so much but she was raising a daughter. Julie shouldn't have had to go without because her mother was a doormat.

S01.E03: The Barnum Effect

the-irrational-episode-3c.jpg

After a passenger plane crashes into the Potomac River, suspicions focus immediately on the pilot. Prof. Mercer and the team are asked to investigate the pilot’s personal motivations and piece together clues in the hopes of revealing the truth.

Premiere Date: Monday, October 9, 2023     NBC       10pm

the-irrational-episode-3d.jpg
Owen Kalagian as Josh Blacker
Nikki Chohan as Brittany
Hannah Jane Drew as Caitlin
John Shaw as Dale Newhouse
Brian King as Jace
Greg Delmage as Jason
Josh Blacker as Owen Kalagian
Jake B. Miller as Rory
Kate Boutilier as Daisy
Mika Bantog as Emma Liu
Gui Fontanezzi as Passenger

• Like 3
4 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

Nikki Chohan as Brittany
Brian King as Jace
Greg Delmage as Jason
Jake B. Miller as Rory
Kate Boutilier as Daisy
Mika Bantog as Emma Liu

I'm confused. Who's playing whom?

• LOL 2

1 hour ago, j5cochran said:

1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

as = "playing"

If you look carefully at the cast list, it says "Owen Kalagian as Josh Blacker", as well as "Josh Blacker as Owen Kalagian". I did a little digging on IMDB, and Josh Blacker is an actor, so I guess that Owen Kalagian is the character Josh is playing. It must be a typo to have the character playing the actor!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, j5cochran said:
6 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

Nikki Chohan as Brittany
Brian King as Jace
Greg Delmage as Jason
Jake B. Miller as Rory
Kate Boutilier as Daisy
Mika Bantog as Emma Liu

Expand  

There was a photo released by NBC that had the names reversed, so I did not catch that. I also used another source that gets their names from the ending credits, which is why it is also listed correctly. Josh Blacker is the actor and Owen Kalagian is the character played.

• Useful 2

I thought it was a very interesting episode. I am not sure why they had someone deliver them a flight simulator, when it would have made more sense if they went some where that had that model, to run the test. I also thought it was stupid that Phoebe was the co-pilot, how would she know which instruments were which, they should have had another experienced pilot in the cockpit so that Rory could have bounced some theories off of them. Phoebe could have been standing behind them to mention she was afraid of flying and flirt with Rory.

I am not sure how I feel about Rory staying at his brother's place while the investigation was ongoing. Maybe Rory bought the fresh fruit and seafood and Alec's assessment was B.S. Rory's brother had a nice (huge) house considering he was recently divorced.

Alec don't forget the "rent is due!"

• Like 7
  • Useful 1

They're trying, but I still don't care about the research assistants.

The case was interesting, but it's clunky how they have Alec repeatedly stop and explain every behavior/theory/experiment. I get that it's the show's gimmick, but they should probably do less of that, or do it better.

It would also be great if most of the dialog involving The Ex Wife wasn't about how she's The Ex Wife.

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
1 hour ago, Trini said:

They're trying, but I still don't care about the research assistants.

The case was interesting, but it's clunky how they have Alec repeatedly stop and explain every behavior/theory/experiment. I get that it's the show's gimmick, but they should probably do less of that, or do it better.

It would also be great if most of the dialog involving The Ex Wife wasn't about how she's The Ex Wife.

Yeah, I agree with this about every [insert psych thing here]. Especially how everyone kept saying "Barnum Effect"

• Like 2
4 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I wasn't in the mood for this show last week and skipped it. I watched last night and I'm out. It's just plain boring.

10 p.m. isn't working for me.
I'll probably give it one more try on Peacock next Tuesday.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

Stupid Question: If the pilot was trying for a water landing, and the plane hits a bridge that was over the water, why did they crash on land, instead of the water?

(Did the pilot swerve for the bridge?)

I believe the software he disabled made the plane descend too quickly, which led to the bridge being hit. So maybe he was pulling out of that descend as quick as he could to attempt a water ditching?

• Useful 1

I have interrupted my viewing of Episode 1 to say that my eyes aren't all that great these days, but I do have a 65" high def tv and I don't see anything wrong with Jesse L. Martin's lovely face. 

Maybe every now and then I get a little flash of the light reflecting oddly off his right cheek.

But I'm still completely available if he'd like me to sit in a subway car and watch him twirl around the pole, deep sexy-crooning about us opening up a rest-o-rant in Santa Fe.

• Like 1
  • Applause 3
  • LOL 5
  • Love 2

I have watched far too many episodes of Air Disasters to get much farther than the first commercial break in this bullshit episode.  No way does the NTSB even begin to formulate possible reasons for any plane crash before they examine the wreckage and find the black boxes.  Never mind that the investigative TEAM is more than just one guy.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1

The writing has certainly NOT been the making of the show so far.

The NTSB investigation was not even mentioned I don't think.

Everything needs to tighten up to be a success.

Dump the ex spouse storyline - boring

Get new writers or motivate their creativity - pay them more now that the strike is over?

Needs to start getting better soon.

Alaska Daily hit the ground running and was still cancelled.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
18 hours ago, kaygeeret said:

Alaska Daily hit the ground running and was still cancelled.

Alaska Daily was CANCELLED??  I'm still saving the last two episodes to get me back into the swing of things for the new season.  I'm disgusted.

Jesse L. Martin is just so charming and affable.  I'm not necessarily glued to the plotlines, but I like the quirky "behavioral science" he's putting out there.  Wasn't that the secret sauce for Bull every week?

I agree that the show drags to a halt every time they interrupt the action so someone can point out how much he still has the hots for his ex.  Who cares?

• Like 5
  • Wink 1
18 hours ago, kaygeeret said:

The NTSB investigation was not even mentioned I don't think.

The one guy was at the crash site at the beginning, but I gave up after the first commercial break, so it might not have been mentioned again.  Which is just that much more horse shit since the NTSB generally takes the lead in the investigation of transportation incidents.  Unless, of course, it's very clearly terrorism.  (Like I said, way too many Air Disasters episodes.  It's my fallback show when nothing else is on.)

• Like 2

S01.E04: Zero Sum

irrational-season-1-episode-4d.jpg

Alec and the team take on a kidnapping case at the request of a desperate father; their investigation is hampered by a complicated family dynamic that slowly reveals everyone's hidden motivations.

Premiere Date: Monday, October 16, 2023     NBC       10pm

irrational-season-1-episode-4c.jpg
Karen David as Rose Dinshaw
Ben Cotton as Wes Banning
Alec Carlos as Corey Gibson
Jerod Haynes as Keith Moore
Wonser De-Gbon as Tara Moore
Vincent Gale as Ted Akehurst Jr.
Rhinnan Payne as Veronica Moore
Ben Cockell as Trey Akehurst III
Angela Echavez as Wu, Unimpressed Student