Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: Adios

• Start Topic

Since we are past the halfway point of the season (series?), I figured it was about that time for a regular to get bumped off, and Sweetie made the most logical sense.  Vondie Curtis Hall did great work as usual, but the character was always destined for this end.  He just kept playing with fire and his need to "get his" blinded him from the fact that trying anything against Mansell was not going to workout for him.  And it's not because Mansell is smarter, really.  But he's just so ill-tempered that it makes him hard to predict.  Plus, I'm guessing from that conversation between Raylan and Wendell at the end, he might have a mole of some kind in the force?

Kept trying to figure out where I saw the actor playing Lonnie from, and then I realized that was Kevin Anderson, who played Ben way, way, way back in 1991's Sleeping with the Enemy, with Julia Roberts.  Thought he did good here.

Hopefully Burt takes his own advice and gets to the Bahamas stat!

So, I guess Carolyn did get a win since that Diane character will likely not be able to pursue the bench anymore.

I'm guessing Sandy getting that stolen painting appraised or whatever is going to open a whole new can of worms for everybody.

• Like 4
4 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Plus, I'm guessing from that conversation between Raylan and Wendell at the end, he might have a mole of some kind in the force?

Nothing new for Raylan... Every Harlan Sheriff has been dirty... 

So long Sweetie/Vondie Curtis Hall . 

Overall I find this season to be fairly dull. They've certainly toned down Raylan from his younger days. While I expected that to a certain degree, the writing lacks the zip of the old JUSTIFIED. I'll finish out the season and be glad for what we got, but Mansell as a villain doesn't hold a candle to any of the OG villains. He makes Darryl Crowe look like a mastermind, let alone even come close to a Boyd or Mags. 

• Like 12
  • Love 1

So, Caroline's sense of 'just' includes extorting a political rival for the judgeship?  Okay then.  I think I'm supposed to root for her, but no.

Liked that Raylan asked for her coat so she couldn't hide a weapon under it, but hated that they stood talking in the hall in the middle of the night as other people may be trying to sleep.  We all knew she would end up going into his room, so just go in and then give your monologue.  

Nobody appears to be too bright in this series.  Raylan is right, though, that Mancell has waaaay too much luck, so there must be something else going on.

RIP Sweetie and Lonnie, and I hope someone takes care of the dog that 'isn't' Lonnie's but lives at his house.

• Like 6

This show is dull--and the lighting is dark--so I'm glad there are only two more episodes. 

I figured Sweetie wasn't long for this world, but I didn't even care.  Also, while I like some blues songs, the music playing in the bar was so bad, I wanted to throw something at the tv.   

At this point, the only main characters I care about surviving are Raylan (of course), Wendell, and the female detective.    

• Like 3

I'm really having to force myself to watch this.  This episode pointed out, to me, what's wrong: too much Mansell, too little Raylan, too many other characters that i just don't care about.  While the acting is generally good, the writing is not.

Mansell is entirely one-note (and that's without reference to his demo tape or whatever), totally predictable and boring at this point.  I'm tired of everything going his way.  Boyd at least was constantly changing and doing the unexpected. 

I guess Timothy Oliphant must be busy doing other things, because he's barely a character in this.  His fondness for the attorney (Caroline?) is inexplicable to me, he has to suspect that she is tipping her client off, directly or indirectly.

Lonnie could have been interesting - but he's gone already.  Raylan's two colleagues are interesting (and amusing) - barely any screen time, no actual roles to play.  

At this point, the only thing I like is that the daughter isn't in it anymore.  What a waste of time that was.  

I'll watch until the end, because that's how I am, but I am very disappointed.  

p.s. Pretty much the only thing I really like is how realistic the show is in showing how good-looking women really do get away with everything.  

• Like 12

I can't feel bad about Sweety's demise.  He got greedy, could have turned in the gun and this would have been over a long time ago.

But he set up the wrecking crew didn't he?  So his hands aren't clean, just because he didn't brutalize or kill the people they were extorting like Mansell did.

The only thing that was good was him putting down Clement's crack cover performance.

Yeah dumb luck, Mansell walked right into a stakeout and an ambush.

Why didn't Sweety give him at least the page or the book to incriminate him?

Sandy can't be doing a side deal on her own selling that painting could she?  I doubt Mansell cares about the art, just probably figured it could be sold for more money.

• Like 2
9 hours ago, oftentimes said:

I can't seem to remember, what did happen to the gun that was hidden in the juke box?

Did Sweety's boyfriend take it out? I seem to remember him seeing it in the back of the jukebox, but don't remember him actually taking it. 

Edited by eclectcmoi
  • Like 1
8 hours ago, eclectcmoi said:

Did Sweety's boyfriend take it out? I seem to remember him seeing it in the back of the jukebox, but don't remember him actually taking it. 

I think we're left to conclude that, but I wish it'd been more clear on screen.  Having said that, Chekov's gun is still in play and likely in the hands of someone with vengeance on their mind.

• Like 1

Assuming Burt bought the painting legally, the gallery will be calling Detroit P.D.

On 8/16/2023 at 6:10 PM, eclectcmoi said:

And still... no Albanians. Guess they've given up on revenge.  

Half of their A-Team is dead, the other is in jail... so they are neutralized for now

18 hours ago, Mr. R0b0t said:

I think we're left to conclude that, but I wish it'd been more clear on screen.  Having said that, Chekov's gun is still in play and likely in the hands of someone with vengeance on their mind.

Don't forget we still have Chekov's knife that Willa picked up on her stroll through Detroit.

• Useful 1
On 8/16/2023 at 10:08 AM, seacliffsal said:

So, Caroline's sense of 'just' includes extorting a political rival for the judgeship?  Okay then.  I think I'm supposed to root for her, but no.

Yeah, I don't like her, and I can't tell if we're supposed to. 

On 8/16/2023 at 4:12 PM, mjc570 said:

His fondness for the attorney (Caroline?) is inexplicable to me, he has to suspect that she is tipping her client off, directly or indirectly.

I don't get his attraction either. I do think she's attractive, but their whole sexual relationship just doesn't work for me. It's been crowbarred into the show.

As far as her tipping off Mansell, I don't think she is, and I don't think Raylan would think so either.

Could Wendell be Mansell's inside man? Did I misread the scene, or was Raylan implying that?

Didn't the cops jump the gun in the park? Why not wait for Mansell to produce the page or book? The prosecutor wasn't going to give him the money until he showed her the page, so he wouldn't have gotten away. He had been tipped off, so what was his plan? Just to be able to smirk at Raylan again?

Raylan had a funny reaction to Mansell saying something about the dead judge and ... what was it? ... a stupid little girl? 

I thought something more was going to happen with the ice cream truck.

I liked Lonnie. I wish he had lasted longer than just one ep. 

• Like 6

Of course Sweety was going to die give his actions past and present, but I really dont like how small-time and basically naive they wrote a character who had supposedly been criming in Detroit for decades. Also the Lonnie guy who apparent was a hit man but was so easily taken out. I'd think both Sweety and Lonnie were guys not so easily dispatched of and Mansell just walks up and both and does them in. Pretty weak.

At any rate, looks like the big reveal is going to be Mansell is the governor's son or something ridiculous like that, will explain away how he can just walk around killing people after having gotten away with murdering 4 guys in cold blood a few years prior.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
13 hours ago, paigow said:

Mansell lacks the resources to finance moles... if Carolyn did not leak the stakeout, somebody else is bankrolling moles. 

Of course Mansell could could have incriminating info on someone and is blackmailing them.

Edited by peeayebee
  • Like 1

Lonnie was primarily a thief that avoided adding felony murder whenever possible. He was more Danny Ocean than John Wick.

Sweety was a bass player who turned into a low-life because he missed his chance at joining George Clinton.

• Like 5
On 8/18/2023 at 3:29 PM, Crashcourse said:

I thought that, too, but I hope I'm wrong because I like him.

Yeah more Wendell in this last 2eps would be good, hope he doesnt get killed but a couple people will be- this is Justified afterall. Imma kinda thining Caroline has to go, she is very crooked and I cant see the show ending with her on the bench. Maybe though, everything doesnt have to be on the up and up- kind of the point of the city. Raylan would turn her in if he has to though, no doubt, so maybe something like that happens.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

Who are the Tonin family?

They were the dominant Detroit Mob Family until an expansion plan into Harlan wiped out most of their top soldiers. The remnants collapsed soon after. Theo Tonin would be around 80 now, living in Tunisia. More than likely, the Albanians or some other group assimilated / exterminated any survivors.

• Useful 1

I feel bad because I thought that this started off well and I was looking forward to it, but its really losing me. I'm not all that invested in the new characters, Raylan is just going through the motions, and the show really lost a lot of its charm with this new setting. I don't mind the idea of taking Raylan out of the south, but they aren't doing much to contrast his time in rural Kentucky with his time in the city. 

It makes total sense that this is all based on another unrelated Elmore Leonard novel with the main guy from that scratched out and Raylan put in his place. It feels like a totally different show, even more than I was expecting, like its a totally different story that has nothing to do with Justified and Raylan.

Sad to see Sweetie go, he really should have cut things off with Mansell when he  could. Also to bad seeing Lonnie go so early, he seemed like he had some potential. Raylan makes a solid point that Mansell must have someone on his side, he's not smart enough to keep getting away with everything. 

• Like 4
16 minutes ago, Msample said:

The Tonin family was a crime org based in Detroit that featured in several JUSTIFIED storylines. 

Yes, paigow explained that.  I just didn't remember them even though I watched Justified.

Ugh. I just watched this episode but haven't watched the next one yet.  I'm not sure that I want to, but I probably will because I don't like to leave things unfinished.  The fact that Mansell keeps slinking away is beyond credulous.

I was kind of hoping for a Sweetie redemption arc.

Carolyn and the female detective both annoy the crap out of me. Hooking Raylan and Carolyn up was, for many reasons, not a good idea.

I wonder if the prosecutor and the dirty cops are the reason that Mansell got out early...

Sandy should have bailed a long time ago.

Lonnie was cool for the short amount of time that we saw him, wouldn't have minded him hanging around.

I'm honestly not that impressed with a lot of the acting either, even TO-I feel like he's just phoning it in a bit 🤷‍♀️

• Like 1

Pretty much agree with the various disappointments above. At the end of the day it feels like a run of the mill cop show, and there's a reason I don't get into those.

Raylan seems old, which I guess is somewhat realistic, but not sure that is the intent.

It doesn't even really have the feel of Elmore Leonard. The cops, the bad guys, are all pretty generic.