Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E08: I Will Take You by the Hand and Keep You / S03.E09: Wonders That Cannot Be Fathomed, Miracles That Cannot Be Counted

• Start Topic

The Gemstone siblings reconnect with their loved ones… and each other. As the Montgomery militia fractures from within, Chuck weighs his options, while Peter hatches a new plan.

The siblings compete in an all-out biblical brawl – until a stroke of divine intervention forever alters the fate of the Gemstone family.

Original air date 2023.07.30

(edited)

Oh. My. Lord. 

KELVIN!! KEEF!!! 

And I cannot even remember the last time I literally had to pause a show because I was laughing so hard -- the opening of Uncle Baby Billy's Bible Bonkers is just . . . bonkers. 

An Iliza return!

Aunt Tiffany is now officially a national treasure that must be protected at all costs.

Can we PLEASE just give Walton Goggins all the awards now? He is so long overdue!! 

This one is going to be on rewatch for a good long while. . . I legit do not know how they get through any of this with a straight face. 

And of course a swarm of locusts!! 

PRAISE BE TO HE!! 

Edited by Sailorgirl26
  • Like 13
  • Love 1

Glad that Eli has Gideon around - they are so wholesome together.  I actually got a tiny bit misty when they showed Aimee-Leigh watching her family having fun together.

• Like 11

Damn, we got an actual plague here!  Either God really does look after the Gemstones or he just really, really, really didn't want Uncle Baby Billy's Bible Bonkers to happen!

So, the Simkins basically seem like another version of the Lissons from last season, where they kind of disappeared for a bit and then showed back up come finale time to be a major obstacle.  Kind of a waste of the likes of Stephen Dorff and Iliza Shlesinger, but I liked how once again the family was used to show why I can still like the Gemstones despite being awful in so many ways.  When the shit went down, they (or Vance in particular) went into "Everyone for themselves" mode, while the Gemstones were in the thick of it until everyone was safe.  Because as fucked-up as they are, they really do love one another in their own twisted way.  And I can dig it.

Surprised, but glad that the Montgomerys are all still here and seem to be in a better place.  Yeah, Peter might be getting off way too easy, but I guess if one considers everything that has happened, it's not that far-fetch to believe that the Gemstones would forgive a little bit of abduction and attempted murder by bomb for family.  Plus, we know if anyone did step back out of line, Jesse would kill them.  He's not sure how, but he'd do it!

Kelvin and Keefe did that thing!  You know, they finally kissed!!  Loved everyone's reactions like B.J. automatically smiling because he probably suspected it already, to Jesse and Judy being shocked at first, but actually happy for them.  And them being honest with one another is leading to them even realizing their Smut Busters scheme is self-righteous and shouldn't continue.  All in all, this is a development I'm very happy about.

Gideon wanting to follow in Eli's footsteps was a somewhat surprising revelation.  I wonder if the endgame is that he'll end up being a better preacher than his dad.

I can only imagine how many times Walton Goggins and Shea Whigham probably couldn't stop laughing when they had to look at each others "O faces" during the orgy scene.  This show definitely can get wild!

Surprised how emotional I got during the final minutes.  And then once they revealed Aimee-Leigh's spirit watching from a distance, I gave up an accepted that, yes, I was tearing up over the freaking Righteous Gemstones!

This actually could have worked for a series finale, but I'm glad we're getting another one.  This show has really made me love this family and characters, despite being objectively awful in so many ways.  But despite the outlandish antics and moments, they actually feel grounded and even realistic in ways that are rarely shown on television.  Don't know how Danny McBride, Jody Hill, and the rest keep pulling this off, but I will continue to enjoy the ride!

• Like 10
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

Like others have said, this could have done for a series finale, and possibly it was written that way, as they weren't certain of another season. Not sure what they will get up to in Season 4, as much of the tension points seem resolved. 

Really liked the fishing scene between Eli and Gideon. Gideon has has a great character arc in this show. 

Uncle Baby Billy never stops!  Loved that the Gemstones decided not to cheat, lol. 

And the final scenes with everyone taking turns driving the Redeemer was fun. 

I was very entertained by this season.  

Edited by cardigirl
  • Like 10

The special effects people did a great job with those locusts! This was a great finale for the season. We got all of the characters rounded up for Uncle Baby Billy's Bible Bonkers game show, and I couldn't stop laughing at all of the reactions to the locusts. I can't wait for season 4!

• Like 6

So the siblings are all together for now.  I guess the next season will be about how they fall apart.

Evangelical church is going to be okay with Kelvin being out with Keefe, considering that some parents objected to Keefe previously?  Considering how LGBTQ rights are under assault in the South and other religiously conservative states, this could be a bold statement by the show but maybe they don't lean too much into Kelvin's sexual orientation or how much out he chooses to be.

But the siblings seem to instantly be accepting of the kiss, which was as much a statement by Kelvin.

Literally took an act of God to bring about a happy ending, which includes the NASCAR driver dying and bequeathing his estate to the Gemstones?

I thought the problem they laid out in the first episode of the season was the decline in membership, not necessarily generous donors?

Maybe they built another monster truck since everyone in the family seems to enjoy smashing things up with the Redeemer.

• Love 1

Random thoughts:

I cracked up when Uncle Billy was prepping the family for the episode of Bible Bonkers and said he may get distracted and accidentally leave the answers in the room. Walton Goggins was hilarious in that scene, as usual.

After waiting breathlessly for 3 seasons for Keefe and Kelvin to become a thing, I totally missed their kiss!   I must have been distracted because I didn't learn about it until this morning, but I'm gonna hold off on a rewatch till later as my primetime entertainment.  I can't wait for next season to see their relationship progress. I just hope they don't tone down the sexuality after 3 seasons of them furiously lusting after each other.

I think it's nice that they included Eli's right-hand man Martin into the family bonding session at the end. He even got a turn in The Redeemer. The only thing that seemed odd in the last 2 episodes was the emphasis on the bratty son that they sent to military school. Why highlight him all of a sudden unless it's to set up for him to come back in the future to wreak havoc on Dad for this punishment.

I still want to know why May-May was chasing Aimee-Leigh with an ax back in the first episode of the season.

• Like 6

Disappointed we didn't actually get to see the Black Slap.  Maybe next season.

The sign with Billy's head on it rolling across the studio was hilarious.

Now that he's ripped off Family Feud, I think that next season Billy should come out with a new game show, like Wheel of Salvation.

I'll never look at Gene Hackman the same way again.

• Like 1
  • LOL 5

What is McBride's background?

Is he from the South?

He might cause offense if he wasn't a Southerner doing a satire about some Southern characters.

Scenes like that Y2K party scene, you know that it's a joke, just over the top stuff.  Is it conceivable that real-life evangelical preachers would engage in such excesses or are they really pushing the poetic license to the limit?

The Southern accents aren't exaggerated so I don't think they're meant to be mocking.  I'm actually listening to an interview with comic Leanne Morganne who has a very exaggerated twang, which may be a reason she books jobs.

Chris Ryan and Andy Greenwald surmised that the show gets huge ratings, because it draws viewers who normally wouldn't view HBO shows, though I can't imagine people who dislike HBO would subscribe just to watch this show.

But is it mostly satire or does McBride identify a little with these characters?

4 hours ago, aghst said:

What is McBride's background?

Is he from the South?

He might cause offense if he wasn't a Southerner doing a satire about some Southern characters.

But is it mostly satire or does McBride identify a little with these characters?

Yes, McBride's a southern boy.  If you ever watched Eastbound and Down, that's also a southern comedy that takes place mostly in the Carolinas and pokes fun at the south and southern culture.

• Like 5
On 7/31/2023 at 1:38 AM, thuganomics85 said:

I can only imagine how many times Walton Goggins and Shea Whigham probably couldn't stop laughing when they had to look at each others "O faces" during the orgy scene.  This show definitely can get wild!

This legit had my husband and me crying laughing. I love Walton in every project but Baby Billy and Lee Russell in Vice Principals are my absolute favorites. 

I felt so happy that Kelvin and Keefe finally sealed the deal and can be who they are to the world. I hope this doesn't cause any issues in the church or with the congregation. I'd like to think that Eli will be accepting too. 

Edited by Avaleigh
  • Like 3
On 7/31/2023 at 3:38 AM, thuganomics85 said:

Either God really does look after the Gemstones or he just really, really, really didn't want Uncle Baby Billy's Bible Bonkers to happen!

He decided in his wisdom that the world just isn't ready for Uncle Baby Billy's Bible Bonkers, tragically. 

This definitely could have been a series finale, but I'm glad that we will be getting more. I would like to see Eli teaching Gideon how to be a preacher, what happens next for the Montgomery's, and the reactions of the church to Kelvin and Keefe finally making it official. I don't know how this show always manages to make me feel sympathy for this objectively awful people, but damn it they always get me in the feels by the end of the season. Its probably because, while the Gemstones are ridiculously dysfunctional and corrupt, they really are still a family and there is real love their, underneath all of the bickering. Everyone taking turns driving The Redeemer was a lot of fun, I especially love that Martin got to take a turn. He's way more of an uncle to the kids than Uncle Baby Billy has been. Ghost Aimee-Leigh approves. 

Those locusts really did look disgusting, huge props to the effects people. That certainly is one way to bring the whole family together, even Peter. 

After three seasons, Kelvin and Keefe finally kissed! I almost squeaked! It was so cute how BJ smiled at them kissing and then Judy and Jessie were both surprised but happy. Should be interesting seeing where they go next, especially now that they've decided that the smut busters are way too judgey. 

Jesse telling his son that he would have probably been a better person if he had to work harder is actually quite insightful. Gideon really has had a lot of ups and downs and now it looks like he's going to be Eli's next heir to his preaching empire, which I think he will actually be good at. I remember way back in season one when he left to do mission work that he might go into ministry and create a more heartfelt version of their church. 

• Like 2
7 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

This definitely could have been a series finale, but I'm glad that we will be getting more. I would like to see Eli teaching Gideon how to be a preacher, what happens next for the Montgomery's, and the reactions of the church to Kelvin and Keefe finally making it official.

I think Gideon is the only one of the younger generation who has a chance to lead the church in the right direction. I think he'll be accepting of Kelvin and with the blessing of Eli maybe he and Kelvin can bring the church in a more modern direction. Have Judy and the cousins focus on the music and entertainment part of the ministry. (Maybe they can bring Baby Billy in on the music part too.) Jesse and Amber can focus on looking for big donors and diversifying with outside projects. Let MayMay teach scripture since she more or less knows the book by heart.

• Like 4

I don't think there's another show that is having as much fun being what it is as the Gemstones is. It's hard to explain, but I think that's what makes it unique.

The Kelvin and Keefe thing was a tremendous piece of facial acting by all five of the people in the scene, and was legitimately moving. Clearly Jesse and Judy suspected it, and I think reflexively were shocked, but to see their faces settle into quiet happiness and satisfaction for their baby brother, preceded of course by the way BJ reacted (less shocked, more "good for you! finally!"), it was genuinely moving! A show with this many dick jokes does not have a right to be that moving!!!

Speaking of, the scene in the bathtub where Judy and BJ reconcile...HOW DO THOSE TWO ACTORS DO THAT? It's insane. 

• Like 5
On 7/31/2023 at 1:38 AM, thuganomics85 said:

Gideon wanting to follow in Eli's footsteps was a somewhat surprising revelation.  I wonder if the endgame is that he'll end up being a better preacher than his dad.

This really felt like a series finale to me, but I heard they’re coming back for another one.

Either way, in my mind, I’d love to see Gideon and Eli working side by side to fix up May-May’s tiny church in the woods together. Eli still has some good preachin’ left in him to give - as well as mentoring. But I think he’s sick of all the slick and shiny stuff. Gideon, after his trip to Haiti, has also shown a desire for spirit more than success.  

I think both of them would thrive with a tiny flock of non-militia people - hopefully without snakes, as well.

On 8/1/2023 at 3:09 PM, tennisgurl said:

Jesse telling his son that he would have probably been a better person if he had to work harder is actually quite insightful.

Jesse has his moments. His "trust" speech from earlier in the season is another one. That speech could have just as easily swerved into "and once you have their trust then you get their money" territory but he kept it sincere.

John Goodman is a national treasure, the look/s on his face when Gideon said he wanted to become a preacher and wanted Eli to teach him said so much. And really what more can be said about Goggins?

• Like 3
On 7/31/2023 at 8:36 AM, aghst said:

I thought the problem they laid out in the first episode of the season was the decline in membership, not necessarily generous donors?

I think that problem was rectified thanks to the publicity from the kids' kidnapping, I mean, abduction. There were tons of supporters outside and Judy said they were even up in the "high seats."

I loved this episode and season. Keefe and Kelvin - I can't express how happy that kiss made me. I loved the absurdity of the plague of locusts (though I felt bad for the person or maybe multiple people who died). I loved the Gemstones' instinct to find and assist or protect their loved ones.

As in "1776," God leans a little on the side of the Lees... and the Gemstones.