Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Pilot

• Start Topic

We might need a separate thread for text formatting rules, but I suspect each episode is going to have some similar element, so let’s say I’m still on topic. The first I heard of a single space after a period was when my son (class of 2005) was in high school. There was a dispute among his classmates about which was correct. I don’t remember how it was resolved but I guess they were in the transitional age group. 

Speaking for myself, if I’m on my phone I just hit the space bar twice and let the pieces fall where they may.  On a pc I still can’t not put in two spaces, unless I’m in a space-limited reply box, then I’ll reluctantly go back and edit out the spaces. 

• Like 7

I was also taught to double-space as a child. But computers arrived, and desktop publishing, and the double spaces mess up proportional fonts. I trained myself out of it 30 years ago. If you submit material for publication, there's arguments of professionalism and also not making needless work for editorial staff.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 3/3/2024 at 4:05 PM, possibilities said:

I had no idea font politics were so heated!

Did you ever watch The Middle? Youngest child, Brick, had a thing for fonts. He even started a Font Club at his school! Because of him, I learned more about fonts and found them interesting.

On 3/4/2024 at 12:08 PM, possibilities said:

We're off topic but I need you all to know about this game:

https://type.method.ac/#

I don't get it. How does one play?

• Applause 1
(edited)
21 minutes ago, zoey1996 said:

It's more a training exercise than a game, I guess. You use your cursor to move the letters left or right individually, into the correct spacing. Then click the button to enter your result and it will tell you how close to correct it is. Then click next for the next example. When you get to the end, it will give you the overall accuracy. You can also reset and do it over again, until you get it right.

I forgot about Brick! I liked that aspect of his character! (Haha: font/character)

Edited by possibilities
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
(edited)
On 3/1/2024 at 11:43 AM, possibilities said:

...it was always their arrogance, self-confidence, and smugness that brought them down...The first episode of Elsbeth seems to follow that pattern, though the murderer seemed to realize Elsbeth was not as ditzy as she acted, which was a departure form the Columbo approach, where I don't recall the suspects ever cottoning to it being an act until the very moment he himself tells them.

I do recall Columbo episodes where the culprit caught on to Columbo's shtick well before his "reveal." That was part of the fun for me; that those episodes evolved into a game of conscious cat and mouse. If memory serves, Robert Culp usually tuned in to Columbo's cleverness pretty early. And I thought the bad guy character in this episode made a pretty good job of channeling his inner Robert Culp. (I'm not familiar with the actor but his performance made me think I ought to be.) His arrogance/cleverness actually got me through the parts where Elsbeth was a little too ditzy for my taste.

Edited by Milburn Stone
  • Like 4
  • Applause 2
On 3/5/2024 at 1:22 PM, zoey1996 said:

Did you ever watch The Middle? Youngest child, Brick, had a thing for fonts. He even started a Font Club at his school! Because of him, I learned more about fonts and found them interesting.

Thanks for reminding me of that, I forgot about Brick and his thing for fonts.  That always reminded me of Sheldon Cooper too.  He even had his own font, the "Shelvetica", LOL. 😆

• Applause 1
  • LOL 1

“I get kooky if I drink.”   I’ve got news for you, Elsbeth... 😄

I liked it. I was afraid she might grate as a main character, but I think they handled it well between her quirkiness and her serious side so that we know she’s (relatively) normal. The denouement was a bit weak, but then I’m not exactly watching for a great whodunnit (or whydunnit, in this case) but more to see Elsbeth. I like the Captain too. Hope he turns out to be a good’un so he stays in the series.

• Like 4
  • LOL 2

Two pages of typing and font debates! 🤣 Love it. Elsbeth, what have you done to us? The dang with what we think of the show, but are we typing properly! Being of the older generation, I loved everyone’s input and it brought back memories. Another thing about learning to type in our day, we could type without looking at the keyboard. I remember when my son was a child, he would ask me to type what his friends were saying. I would be looking at them and typing word for word what they were saying. The amazement on their faces was priceless, like I was performing magic. Ah, the power we had when kids were small. 😉

Oh and I enjoyed the episode. 😁 Looking forward to more. Perhaps a debate on how 1-hour speedy service to have photos developed is now a snail’s pace compared to instant selfies. 

• Like 6
2 hours ago, steph369 said:

Two pages of typing and font debates! 🤣 Love it. Elsbeth, what have you done to us?

It appears that Elsbeth is one of us and we are like her too!

• Like 2
2 hours ago, steph369 said:

Two pages of typing and font debates! 🤣 Love it. Elsbeth, what have you done to us? The dang with what we think of the show, but are we typing properly!

Taking the period/spacing reply to Small Talk. Even though that horse is so far out of the barn that we can no longer see it, I don’t want to be the one who moves it along any further. 

• Wink 1
  • LOL 1
On 3/2/2024 at 6:44 AM, gibasi said:

I had to retrain myself to one space after a period. Both APA and MLA require it now.

Like others I wasn't familiar with the Elsbeth character but I do like Columbo so I will give it a shot. Both Stephen Moyer and Carrie Preston seemed to be enjoying themselves and that was fun to watch.

If he wasn't a murderer, I would totally ship it. They were charming and hilarious together. 😂

What do you think Esbeth carries in all those tote bags?  Information?  Weapons?  Bright scarves in case she decides her outfit is too drab?

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Driad said:

What do you think Esbeth carries in all those tote bags?  Information?  Weapons?  Bright scarves in case she decides her outfit is too drab?

1 hour ago, possibilities said:

Columbo's raincoat.

Galoshes, a bumpershoot, a foldable plastic rain kerchief, and, hopefully, the final CBS/Paramount+ version of the show’s schedule.

• Like 1
  • Applause 3
  • LOL 1
On 3/26/2024 at 12:03 AM, Driad said:

Guidebooks to New York, snacks, a tape measure, a tool kit, phone charger, pens (in multiple colors & both medium and fine point), pads of paper, lotion, lip gloss, a hairbrush, an umbrella, dental floss, a sewing kit, a lint brush, Kleenex, a bottle of water, sunglasses, hand sanitizer, and a wallet.  Just a few things one might need during those hours away from home.

She doesn't keep her cell phone in one of the bags.  Instead that's in a pocket so it can conveniently slip out, giving her an excuse to return to a room. It's her version of the classic Columbo "Just one more thing . . ."

• Like 4
On 3/5/2024 at 1:43 PM, possibilities said:
On 3/5/2024 at 1:22 PM, zoey1996 said:

It's more a training exercise than a game, I guess. You use your cursor to move the letters left or right individually, into the correct spacing. Then click the button to enter your result and it will tell you how close to correct it is. Then click next for the next example. When you get to the end, it will give you the overall accuracy. You can also reset  and do it over again, until you get it right.

On your phone, you use your finger to slide the interior letters.

I always loved the character on the good fight, but for a whole episode, every episode, she might be a bit much. I'll try a few more episodes, but this was already hard to get through.

• Like 1

After the double episode this week, this will probably not be must see tv for me.

I really like the lead actor and if I stay with it it would be for her performances.

Am hoping the writers can do something to soften the 'tics' or tone them down a bit.