Type keyword(s) to search

Kitchen Nightmares (US) - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Am so glad the show is back after "nearly a decade" according to Gordon.   Even with the new menu and Gordon Ramsay RIGHT THERE they sent out undercooked food (wait until he's gone and the standards really drop again).  I think the biggest problem was the mother.  When Gordon was talking about the food/kitchen mess the mom kept saying that it wasn't Kal's fault (when you delegate doesn't mean it's done...).  The fact that they continued to give Peter an "allowance" even though he was never there was ridiculous.  So, the parents were enabling the bad behavior and poor sanitation.  Even the fact she complained to a customer about the shortened menu does not bode well for the future of this diner.  Couldn't believe Ramsay gave them his fish and chips recipe.

This diner will probably limp along for a while.

But I am really happy that this show is back (note to self: when next in NYC go to Gordon Ramsay's Fish and Chips in Times Square...).

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
On 9/25/2023 at 12:50 AM, CrazyInAlabama said:

I'm wondering if they went back to the humongous menu after filming?  I hope not, but I bet they did.  I suspect it was a very temporary improvement, and my guess is they're back to the old gigantic menu, and bad food.   

I don't know if they went back to the whole 420 items but their menu is huge again:

https://www.belairediner.nyc/menus

• Thanks 1
  • Useful 2

I read through the whole menu and it is really too much.  Too many different genres of food as well.  Regarding desserts, the menu stated that all desserts were made in the downstairs bakery.  Oh well.  Gordon tried.  Oh, and there was no mention whatsoever of Gordon's recipe fish and chips.  I wonder if he took back permission to feature it once he found out they reinstated their huge menu.

• Like 3

No doubt their mother Patty is responsible for the return of Menuzilla.  She hated that idea from the jump, Cal and Archie lack the backbone to shh her out of her wrongness, and whatshisname lacks a care in the world.

The young man who was there through Make A Wish was quite accomplished in his brief life. More than either of these brothers can hope to be, even with their huge advantages. RIP Jerry. 

• Like 4

I finally watched the whole episode. I would never eat there. And with the huge menu I know their food is not fresh and I would be eating something weeks old from the basement.

What a shame that they did not shrink their menu and listen to Gordon.

And the diner is massive it’s like the size of red lobster in Times Square lol.

As a NYer I have not been to GR fish and chips In Times Square!

• Like 3

As a NYer I have a long history with family run Greek diners and a close relationship with one in particular.  True, they usually have large menus, but even by diner standards this one was OTT.

From the little I've read online it looks like the place started going downhill with the pandemic, probably as the brothers were still new at running it.  It's obvious that they aren't that good at it.   The parents were probably better at it in their time but haven't been able to change with the times so now their opinions are and any insistence on keeping things the same is dragging the place down.  That was obvious by the way the mother acted about both the menu and her son's responsibility in their problems.   Unfortunately the show didn't seem to want to bring out that angle, probably because the parents didn't want to be the focus of this in any way.

I know a family that runs a very established successful diner in the Bronx so I saw this from that perspective.  Their oldest son (who I watched grow up over the years) took their diner over several years ago but he's a very different personality than these two sons and his family had the place running like a tight ship before he even took it over.  It's much smaller and they have a good sense for business.  These two don't.   Also he's much tougher than these two.  It looks like their parents sheltered them too much and they're not up to delegating and leading.  I could say more but I don't want to be unkind.  Just my observations.

Ramsay was right that these brothers needed to get the silver spoon out.  When the older brother broke down in tears I was like, "Oh give me a BREAK".  Buck up, buttercup!  Seriously I don't really think this guy and his brother are cut out to run this place efficiently.   First of all, it's HUGE and trying to be too much.  I'm sure the owners of my Bronx diner would be criticizing that.  At least they know how to keep a menu from getting out of control.  

Even with that huge menu it's obvious that they don't sell half of what's on it, which is why food is going bad.  I watched all of "Kitchen Nightmares" when it was on previously but I forgot how it didn't really focus that much on the budgetary issues.  I got used to the approach on "Restaurant Impossible" where Robert Irvine would take them aside and talk about how much money they were wasting on food that was going bad.  I admit I'm seeing this show as glossing over a lot of the important issues now and realizing it was probably always that way, I'm just expecting more now than I once did.

If they just got rid of the stuff that isn't selling I'd bet they could cut the menu down by at least a third.   It's too bad.  Truthfully, though, I doubt the place is suffering despite its issues.  It's probably still a gold mine.  The top third of the menu they do well (and Ramsay even admitted that) and that's what really sells.  So that stuff is cooked well and not going bad.  I mean, who goes to a diner and orders coq au vin anyway?

I also call BS on some of the "family dynamics" stuff.  I doubt there was ever any falling out between the brothers.  I just think the show thought that angle would make the turnaround look more interesting.  This show was always focused too  much on the conflict in the kitchen and this restaurant didn't really have any (or none that they wanted to focus on) so they had to invent some.  So stupid.

I'll keep watching the show because I love anything Ramsay and I go way back with it, but I admit that both my husband and I are seeing its faults more this many years on than we used to.  Times are changing and I would have hoped that this show would have changed a little more with them.

• Like 6

What was the update at the very end, can anyone please tell me? My recording cut off (I've since added time so it shouldn't do that going forward). I assume the slobs were already well on the way to going back to their dumb practices by the end, judging from the once-again gargantuan menu?

I was also surprised Gordon didn't talk more about how much money they are wasting with so much food they're not selling. Doesn't take a business genius to see that as a problem.

Edited by jcbrown
  • Like 3
On 9/28/2023 at 2:04 AM, Yeah No said:

Even with that huge menu it's obvious that they don't sell half of what's on it, which is why food is going bad.  I watched all of "Kitchen Nightmares" when it was on previously but I forgot how it didn't really focus that much on the budgetary issues.  I got used to the approach on "Restaurant Impossible" where Robert Irvine would take them aside and talk about how much money they were wasting on food that was going bad.  I admit I'm seeing this show as glossing over a lot of the important issues now and realizing it was probably always that way, I'm just expecting more now than I once did.

This is what frustrates me about this show. I don't need a whole 15 minutes on how disgusting the meat is. I got it right away. The moment I saw there were no dates on any of the food, I knew.

I think there would be a much better chance of lasting change if the owners or chefs sat down with Gordon and actually realized the losses they were taking on some of those dishes. Go through the sales and figure out what makes money, what is popular and what can and should be cut from that huge menu. People care about their money so it's much easier to get it through their head when they see where the money is just going in the garbage.

For me, an ideal diner menu is about two pages. The first the all-day breakfast and the second the lunch/dinner options. I don't go to a diner for lobster. Their menu is still a disaster.

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
On 9/28/2023 at 2:19 PM, jcbrown said:

I was also surprised Gordon didn't talk more about how much money they are wasting with so much food they're not selling. Doesn't take a business genius to see that as a problem.

23 hours ago, vibeology said:

I think there would be a much better chance of lasting change if the owners or chefs sat down with Gordon and actually realized the losses they were taking on some of those dishes. Go through the sales and figure out what makes money, what is popular and what can and should be cut from that huge menu. People care about their money so it's much easier to get it through their head when they see where the money is just going in the garbage.

This is the kind of stuff Robert Irvine would address on "Restaurant Impossible".  Ever since his show came back a few years ago he stopped focusing so much on the tired old theatrics of rotting freezer food and explosive family relationships, and more on menu changes, budgetary issues and wasted money.  And yet Food Network decided to cancel his show this year because he "wasn't attracting enough younger viewers".  😏

I'm reading that the big networks are FINALLY realizing that they need to court their older viewers because they're just not attracting the young people so they have to play to their existing audience (Hence the "Golden Bachelor").  Too bad Food Network hasn't gotten that memo yet.  

And too bad this show hasn't realized it needs to update its format because what people liked 15 years ago is not necessarily what they want to see now.

• Like 4

Lots of the restaurants on this show are out of business. And just as many on Irvine's show.    Some come on the show to attract a buyer, and others still think they'll get lots of publicity, and be successful again.   The amount of denial among restaurant owners is huge.     Gordon can't help people who don't want to be helped, and go back to the menus and bad practices they had before.   It's good TV, but I don't hope for real change any longer. 

With Bel Aire, the walk-ins were disgusting, but the amount of money wasted on food left to rot was just as bad.  

I can't wait for Monday's show, and another awful restaurant. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 5
  • LOL 1

I mean really, the shorter menu is one of the most basic and common sense concepts.  Just keeping all that stuff in stock seems like it would put most restaurants out of business.  If they can't get that right and stick with it, what hope is there?

• Like 5

New, Bask 46,new gastro pub, claims their specialty is "Bar-Grill-Pizza",  open six months, owner and chef are clashing, and business is going down fast. Executive Chef Bobby "Culinary Gangster" Fortunato (who Gordon renames Un-Fortunato) is out of control.  Owner Steve crawls up in a loft area to get away from everything, he calls it his 'office'.  It's located in a strip mall in Woodland Park, New Jersey.   My guess is Chef Bobby Fortunato, and Chef Ramsey will be a huge explosion.     

As usual, Gordon is nice to the very nervous waitress.   You can hear Bobby and Steve yelling all the way out to the dining room.  Server claims everything is breaded on site.  Portions are way too big.  

The garnish on the dishes looks like lawn cuttings.  Server telling Chef Bobby about Gordon's criticisms looks like she's enjoying telling Bobby about the issue with the food.  Chef Bobby is claiming Chef Gordon is only complaining about his food because Gordon has 'a small package'.   

The owners are losing $20,000 a month, and more. So, they're paying Bobby $100k a year!!! Gordon points out a chef in that area earns a max of $70k.  Bobby's not worth it, and Bobby does all of the purchasing too.  Steve and Sandi are losing everything, and a million in debt.  

Chef Bobby thinks it's funny his 'cheese sauce' is 'partially homemade' with Cheez Whiz, and bears no resemblance to real food.  And I hate QR menus.  The food is almost all frozen, and just fried in the kitchen.   I'm so glad I ate dinner long ago, and not when Gordon cleans out the walk-in.  Does the health department actually inspect this place?  

Renovation looks nice, but I'm guessing nothing will really change.   Food looked decent at the reopening.   

Two month update is Bobby never came to work again after the reopening, and claims he 'retired'.   Sandi is taking a much needed break.  

What amazes me is how many of the restaurants have watch parties with tons of their awful food to watch the show air.   I couldn't eat and watch Gordon expose the rotten food. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 4
  • Useful 1

Well, Kitchen Nightmares is back with the same old script. This week’s restaurant is hard to take seriously, too much of the scripted drama and lots of crap (probably made up for the show) like the “Culinary Gangster” nonsense (complete with a real professionally printed Culinary Gangster T-shirt probably provided by the producers) to provide the designated bad guy. The owner is the stereotyped foolish owner who sort of knows what is wrong but is too wimpy to do anything about. Maybe he is afraid of the Culinary Gangster? Even a lousy chef would know that the food coming out of the kitchen is bad, and not have the nerve to claim that it is great food. I did love the Culinary Gangster (to be called CG form now on because I am tired of typing it) defending his “sort of” homemade cheese sauce, which is bottled generic cheese (or cheese like) sauce but it is fine because he adds Cheez Whiz to it. I can’t believe any real chef would brag about Cheez Whiz. Now, at the forty minute mark, owner and CG are hugging each other and going to go forward together and make everything great. Yeah, right. This inevitable step is coming a bit early, usually Ramsey and the blowhard clown on phony baloney Bar Rescue wait until the last eight or ten minutes for everybody to hug and get all teary as they move onto the wonderful new path to success. Naturally, we had to see a last minute kitchen collapse (amazing how this happens in all of these shows) for drama, but never fear. Gordon saves the day with a pep talk with the CG and the night finishes on an up note. The follow up has the CG gone and owner wife has some free time for herself and husband owner is looking into the bright future.

I am not sure I will watch any more of this show, it just reruns the same script with different faces and some minor unimportant bits to look slightly new.

• Like 5

So, the owner immediately identified that the issue was the chef, but was unwilling to do anything about it.  Therefore, Gordon should not have intervened and just allowed this restaurant to fail.  I know that sounds harsh, but the owner needs to take responsibility for HIS business and if the chef needs to go, just admit making a mistake in hiring him and fire him.  Also, if most new restaurants lose money until finding their footing, I would rather Gordon help a restuarant that has been successful but is now having issues.

I laughed at how quickly the chef's 'culinary gangster' bravado fell as soon as he met Gordon.  Yep, he was 'tough' as long as Gordon wasn't near him, but it all fell away as soon as Gordon appeared.  Just like typical bullies, they bully until someone with true power/authority steps in.

But, wow!, quitting the very next day after the opening?  It's for the best but that sure was quick.  I don't think the business will last though, because if there's another problem employee the owner may just start hiding out again. I kind of wonder why Gordon chose this restaurant.

Oh, and I hate having to use QR codes, or going to the website to look for the menu.  Give me a menu so it's quick and easy (oh, and I don't always have my phone with me either [and I know that puts me in a very small minority of people who don't have their phones with them 24/7...]).

• Like 5
  • Applause 2
2 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

So, the owner immediately identified that the issue was the chef, but was unwilling to do anything about it.  Therefore, Gordon should not have intervened and just allowed this restaurant to fail.  I know that sounds harsh, but the owner needs to take responsibility for HIS business and if the chef needs to go, just admit making a mistake in hiring him and fire him.  Also, if most new restaurants lose money until finding their footing, I would rather Gordon help a restuarant that has been successful but is now having issues.

I laughed at how quickly the chef's 'culinary gangster' bravado fell as soon as he met Gordon.  Yep, he was 'tough' as long as Gordon wasn't near him, but it all fell away as soon as Gordon appeared.  Just like typical bullies, they bully until someone with true power/authority steps in.

But, wow!, quitting the very next day after the opening?  It's for the best but that sure was quick.  I don't think the business will last though, because if there's another problem employee the owner may just start hiding out again. I kind of wonder why Gordon chose this restaurant.

Oh, and I hate having to use QR codes, or going to the website to look for the menu.  Give me a menu so it's quick and easy (oh, and I don't always have my phone with me either [and I know that puts me in a very small minority of people who don't have their phones with them 24/7...]).

Agree about letting this one fail and helping older restaurants who have fallen on hard times for various reasons.

Lots of so called chefs think they're not going to be intimidated by Gordon but as soon as he appears they cower like the bullies they really are because they think he looks small on tv but he's a big guy in real life & would probably be quite intimidating without his reputation as a chef to back it up.

I don't know anyone over 25 who actually likes using QR code menus, I hate them with a vengeance that is beyond reason. I guess I just like to hold a menu & be able to flick pages with ease to decide what I want rather than endlessly scrolling back & forth.

• Like 7
24 minutes ago, Shrek said:

I don't know anyone over 25 who actually likes using QR code menus, I hate them with a vengeance that is beyond reason. I guess I just like to hold a menu & be able to flick pages with ease to decide what I want rather than endlessly scrolling back & forth.

I refuse to use them. I ask for a printed menu and almost always one is provided.  We need to start a quiet rebellion, don't just put up with it.  Of course it should got without saying, be nice about it to the server, not their fault.

• Like 7

There was an interesting episode to be had here but once again the focus is off. A new-ish business struggling to find its way could make for a great episode. This was all about Bobby's big personality instead of the business. The owner knows his problem is his EC but refuses to act in any way.

Gordon re-writes the menu without any input from the EC and then hours later Bobby has to cook that menu for a full house. Restaurants do soft family and friends launches for a reason. A twelve-top on the same day they launch their new menu? Bobby was a serious problem but there was absolutely no support for him before or after Gordon. He was probably embarrassed. And for 100K, he needs to be accountable for the kitchen but that was still shitty. 

• Like 5
23 hours ago, DoctorK said:

Well, Kitchen Nightmares is back with the same old script.

I agree, the US version of this show seems to run the same script every show.  They redecorate the restaurant, Gordon makes a new streamlined menu, the kitchen gets in trouble, then in the last five minutes they miraculously recover with no real explanation.  

Maybe what pushed Bobby over the edge was being on the 30 day probation, he probably didn't want to deal with that.

• Like 3
40 minutes ago, rmontro said:

Maybe what pushed Bobby over the edge was being on the 30 day probation, he probably didn't want to deal with that.

Mr. Culinary Gangster was a complete arrogant asshole and he was lucky to even get the probation. If the owners had spines. he would have been out on his sorry ass on day one.

• Like 3
  • Applause 3

I'm about 10 minutes west of that place and maybe I'll go check it out after the post-airing rush has died down. I do have to wonder after all his gangster bravado if the show's likely-very-large security people took that meathead out for a little chat about making threats and dial it back or else. Either that or he was just playing for the cameras. Either way I called shenanigans on that clown.  One thing I can say with 100% certainty is that in North Jersey that place is absolutely authentic as shown. There's a reason The Sopranos was set where it was (one town north of me).

As for the Bel-Aire diner, I've eaten at that place a few times, but that was a bunch of years ago when I used to live in Masepth. I'd go to Costco and this place was just 3 or 4 blocks away, if memory serves. Good burgers. Now I'm out in Jersey, where diners are pretty much everywhere and they all have massive menus. Granted maybe not >400 items, but a 6 or 8 page spiral-bound menu is absolutely expected, and suspicious if it's smaller than that. Our favourite now is the Park West Diner (Little Falls on Rt. 46). Best chicken noodle soup in both the known and unknown universes.  But these places are usually very busy (at least the good ones are) and I'd bet food turnover is very high. Sorry to hear that Irvine's show was cancelled. I really liked his format so much more.

• Like 4
13 minutes ago, NJRadioGuy said:

Seems like the owner of Bask46 is also an ungrateful weasel

Well, to be honest on this show GR is a complete asshole, but the pathetic Mr. Baskinger is a spineless wuss. I expect Bask46 is going down the drain in the near future, which happens often with restaurants "saved" by GR.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
1 minute ago, DoctorK said:

Well, to be honest on this show GR is a complete asshole, but the pathetic Mr. Baskinger is a spineless wuss. I expect Bask46 is going down the drain in the near future, which happens often with restaurants "saved" by GR.

You don't sign up for a Gordon Ramsay "reality" show unless you know 100% what you're getting yourself into. I mean, it's not like Gordo's an unknown quantity. Zero sympathy for that owner. GR gave that man and his family a week of his professional life along with his expertise and a nice makeover to the place. The least he could do is not voice his negative opinions of the man to the press.

• Like 4
  • Applause 4
  • Love 2

I think the Bask owner is just trying to prove how "tough" he is as I'm sure he has gotten lots of comments about identifying the problem (chef) but being unable to fire him.  I don't know why so many participants/owners think they make themselves look better by criticizing Gordon.  Gordon is a known quantity and has quite a good reputation when it comes to food and restaurants.  I think participants who criticize him just make themselves look petty and ungrateful.

• Like 8
  • Applause 4

I managed to watch half an episode. Bobby definitely played the bad guy for the cameras. The owner is a million in debt no way his restaurant is going to be here/profitable. And he is bad mouthing FOX who paid for the make over and got him free advertising. Many people will go to the restaurant to see how it is out of curiosity.

I will watch the other half later. 

Edited by oliviabenson
  • Like 4
On 10/3/2023 at 6:53 PM, Drogo said:

Bobby was a clown who shat his pants the minute he met GR.

FYI big boy, Rocky Balboa went the distance, not “another round.”

He folded like a f’ng accordion the second he came face to face with Gordon!Fucking!Ramsay! 😆😆😆😆😆

On 10/4/2023 at 3:13 PM, DoctorK said:

I’m about nearly done, and Gordon wasn’t the real arsehole he is on, say, Hell’s Kitchen.

These assholes that complain about how Gordon doesn’t know shit, WISH they had had the skill, talent, and know how that Gordon does. I’m sure some of it is scripted, but to then trash talk him after they got on his show, and be paid to renovate and tell you what needed fixing? That kitchen freezer was just beyond GROSS, and that No one got sick from their food is a miracle.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Like 7
On 10/4/2023 at 11:57 AM, NJRadioGuy said:

On 10/4/2023 at 12:13 PM, DoctorK said:

So many owners are obviously in this for a publicity boost and don't actually want to change anything. IIRC, Ramsay's stated reason for ending the original Kitchen Nightmares was his frustration at putting in the time and effort to turn things around, only for the idiot owners to ignore everything he said, revert all his menu changes, go out of business, then blame him.

And I would have laughed in Chef Bobby's face the minute he came at me with his faux Tony Soprano shtick. The people who make a big deal out of being "tough guys" never are.

• Like 8

Episode 3, is "In the Drink" a golf course restaurant. 

The restaurant has patched walls, not painted.  George the owner is sinking fast, and doesn't seem to take charge and lead.  Staff says George isn't a day-to-day manager, but others in the restaurant are the informal leader.   You can't even see where the entrance is, no sign or other indication of how to enter the restaurant.  As always, Gordon is so nice to the server.     Other customers dislike the food, dry chicken, greasy nachos, food left sitting around.   Kitchen is slow getting food out.  One customer says there is a hair on his food, I feel queasy.   Gordon is really brave to try the food after hearing that there was hair in the other customer's food. 

I love Gordon driving way too fast on the golf cart.  More hair in the food!    

Restaurant looks nicer, but  Jorge (the owner) didn't even change for the reopening, and is screwing up everything.   I laughed when Gordon put Jorge in time out.    

Jorge is a hopeless case as usual.   

• Like 6

I could not figure out how that empty restaurant was holding on to so many talented servers, but then they got to the drink cart. The tips off of that probably make the headache of dealing with Jorge worth it. I hope they stick with the food and the tips double for all of those talented servers.

• Like 7

I have one problem with Gordon's plan for In the Drink.  Jorge is not the right man to be floating around the dining room as host, he doesn't have the right skill set.  I guess the main point was to get him out of the staff's hair, but my solution wouldn't be to put him in the customers' hair.  

I'm skeptical that the restaurant has stuck with the changes, seems like very few of them actually do.  They seem to be in it mainly for the remodeling and the publicity.  But the idea of putting food on the drink carts was a real money maker and couldn't really be denied.  This restaurant with its locale seems like it would be a guaranteed success if they just don't mess it up.

• Like 7

Hopefully Solange will continue to step up and take responsibilities away from her husband.  I think her distance from the restaurant really hurt as Jorge wasn't qualified to oversee it.  I think Nadia will do her best to keep Jorge away from the service and staff.

The cart really is a money maker and adding food will really increase the profits.  The outdoor seating area was really nice.  I liked Carlos and he seemed really happy to learn from Gordon and perfecting those dishes.  In the country club setting keeping a smaller/more managable menu will really be key.  I liked the renovation-gave it more of a 'pub' environment.

• Like 9
On 10/4/2023 at 2:13 PM, DoctorK said:

Here's the thing, GR is an asshole, but he respects and responds to 1) people who work hard 2) people who listen to his advice

If you talk back or argue, he's going to come at you 10x. If you take ownership of what's going wrong, tell the truth, he'll buck you up and help you out. Look at Carlos at "In the Drink" dude was in over his head, didn't have the knowledge or training but still worked his ass off and did his best. Gordon didn't yell at him or talk down to him, GR treated him with respect and gave him the tools to succeed. 

• Like 11
  • Applause 1
1 hour ago, dabbrusc said:

Here's the thing, GR is an asshole, but he respects and responds to 1) people who work hard 2) people who listen to his advice

If you talk back or argue, he's going to come at you 10x. If you take ownership of what's going wrong, tell the truth, he'll buck you up and help you out. Look at Carlos at "In the Drink" dude was in over his head, didn't have the knowledge or training but still worked his ass off and did his best. Gordon didn't yell at him or talk down to him, GR treated him with respect and gave him the tools to succeed. 

Calling him an asshole is your opinion (and plenty of others) but your second paragraph doesn't say asshole to me, just someone who doesn't take any shit from lazy big mouths who think they know it all. Maybe a smile & a pat on the head would work better but I somehow doubt it.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

When I go to a restaurant I don’t really want anyone coming to my table to small talk.  The server coming and doing their job is enough.  A manager or someone stopping by after we got our food and making sure everything is ok is fine but anything more than that is annoying to me.

• Like 9
  • Applause 1
7 hours ago, KeithJ said:

When I go to a restaurant I don’t really want anyone coming to my table to small talk.  The server coming and doing their job is enough.  A manager or someone stopping by after we got our food and making sure everything is ok is fine but anything more than that is annoying to me.

Yeah, I agree, that's not why I go out to eat.  It reminds me of one restaurant I went to back in the '90s, I want to say.  Can't remember the name, but it was a chain franchise.  When you went there, the servers always sat down at your table for a while and talked to you.  I didn't really mind it at the time, but I wouldn't want a steady diet of it.  

• Like 1
On 10/4/2023 at 12:55 AM, NJRadioGuy said:

I do have to wonder after all his gangster bravado if the show's likely-very-large security people took that meathead out for a little chat about making threats and dial it back or else. Either that or he was just playing for the cameras. Either way I called shenanigans on that clown.  One thing I can say with 100% certainty is that in North Jersey that place is absolutely authentic as shown. There's a reason The Sopranos was set where it was (one town north of me).

On the Bask 46 episode, I call shenanigans on chef Bobby too.  I think the reason he was full of false tough guy "macho" Italian bravado in his talking heads is because he was told to act that way by production.  I am over this show as putting forth any kind of reality.  It's done this very same thing one too many times.   I also believe that's the reason Bobby was such a mouse in front of Gordon in the kitchen - because the other stuff was totally manufactured for the show.  I also suspect that he had already either quit or was fired before Gordon got there but was lured back to create drama for the show.  They probably thought that angle was better for ratings than profiling a restaurant struggling because it just lost its head chef.

Also, as an Italian American I always cringe and feel insulted by the exploitation of a stereotype in the name of ratings.  It is often used in such a way that leaves the public with a negative impression of Italian Americans that is warped and exaggerated.  I don't for one minute believe that this guy Bobby was THAT much of an asshole.  Sure, assholes exist but I didn't feel this one was for real.  I've seen real assholes on these shows and my gut says he was putting on an act for the show.

I can actually understand the owner being pissed off with Gordon and the show because it's becoming obvious to me that the main goal here is ratings, not to help a struggling restaurant.  I don't see how this restaurant is any better off after Gordon's visit than it was before and I am left feeling that it was exploited for the show's gain at its expense.  The only thing it might do for them is bring people into the restaurant, but for the most part I don't think the way the show is handled really helps most of these people address their real problems.  It creates and/or exaggerates problems and focuses on them to the exclusion of real problems that should be addressed.

I watched many seasons of "Restaurant Impossible" and had a very different impression of that show.  For better or worse, Robert Irvine genuinely wanted to help each restaurant and its owners/employees, and showed them how to make many tangible improvements in a very short time, even leaving them with a step by step handbook on how to recreate the recipes, manage and keep within a budget, etc.  Of course they could still fail, and often he got there too late for his advice to work, but the difference between the two shows after all these years is very striking and obvious to me.

One example I can think of is that in a case like this restaurant, if the chef was the problem and was unwilling to leave, Robert likely would have insisted that the owner let them go and would even help in interviewing the applicants and sampling their food.  As it is, this show left Bask46 without any new chef, so just how exactly are they now poised to succeed?  How did the show actually HELP them?

• Like 2
12 hours ago, Yeah No said:

One example I can think of is that in a case like this restaurant, if the chef was the problem and was unwilling to leave, Robert likely would have insisted that the owner let them go and would even help in interviewing the applicants and sampling their food.  As it is, this show left Bask46 without any new chef, so just how exactly are they now poised to succeed?  How did the show actually HELP them?

This show seems like such a rush job.  I remember one episode where Gordon actually lent the restaurant one of his own chefs to work for them for a couple months and train someone new.  I'm guessing that was probably the UK version of the show, but I don't  really remember.  

From what Gordon says, he and the show stay with the restaurant for a week, but it seems like they show up one day, stay overnight, and leave the next day.  

There have been some who claimed the show planted rotten food in their storage areas, but that could be just sour grapes.  I did find the chicken wing in the ice cream a few weeks back a little suspicious.

• Like 4
On 10/11/2023 at 2:49 PM, rmontro said:

This show seems like such a rush job.  I remember one episode where Gordon actually lent the restaurant one of his own chefs to work for them for a couple months and train someone new.  I'm guessing that was probably the UK version of the show, but I don't  really remember.  

From what Gordon says, he and the show stay with the restaurant for a week, but it seems like they show up one day, stay overnight, and leave the next day.  

There have been some who claimed the show planted rotten food in their storage areas, but that could be just sour grapes.  I did find the chicken wing in the ice cream a few weeks back a little suspicious.

Fiesta sunrise? 

Monday the 16th new episode is Da Mimmo.  Dumont, NJ. Run by a mother and two sons, and failing after six months in business.   Melissa, the mom is a retired police lieutenant. Unfortunately, Melissa knows nothing about the restaurant business.  Antonio is the oldest son,  manager, pizza maker, and he's doing everything. Patrons don't like the food. Francesca is the chef, she went to culinary school in Sicily.    Vito and Vincent, the sons, are dead weight, and social media stars, but don't support the restaurant with media postings.  They're close to $500k in losses.  

How can Gordon eat that hideous pizza? The minestrone looks good.  The calmari is horrible. The meatballs in a shell of burned dough look disgusting, and are cold.  Even the chef doesn't like the food, cooking from frozen instead of fresh ingredients. 

My opinion, shut it down permanently. There is zero point with keeping the restaurant going. The worthless brothers, and Ramsay shows them how unimportant they are. 

The kitchen fridges are full of rotten food. The two useless brothers claim they'll help, but I don't believe it. 

I love that Gordon has arranged for Antonio and the other pizza maker to learn from a master about good ingredients, cooking methods.  Gordon's team's remodel of the restaurant is beautiful.  The food looks decent during the reopening, but I bet it won't last. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 4

I know the show wanted to frame the two younger sons as the villains this week (why every week needs a villain is a question) but frankly that mess is all on Melissa. She said over and over that she knew nothing about the restaurant business. Why did she think she could open and run a restaurant? The arrogance was astounding and Gordon treated her with kid gloves while treating those two boys who are 21 and under like this was all their fault. When she was going on at the end about how she finally knows what she's talking about, I rolled my eyes. And roping in her responsible 22 year old son to actually do the bulk of the work with no training and no support was awful. 

The other two sons have over two million followers on social media. That doesn't happen by accident. They have worked very hard to build a successful brand and they absolutely should not tie themselves to the sinking ship that is their mother's shitty restaurant with frozen food and slow service. Plus, I'm going to assume they have worldwide followers; why constantly post about a shithole in New Jersey?

I guess I'm just never going to get over the arrogance of Melissa saying that because she had a family member who liked to cook, obviously a restaurant. She doesn't cook, she doesn't manage the financials, she barely does any service. And the whole time, Gordon was acting like she was some saint rather than the idiot sandwich the kids joked about. 

• Like 7
  • Applause 3

OK, a new one tonight, new episode, same old script.

Maybe I missed it but how did this family of people with no restaurant knowledge or experience open a restaurant with any hope of success? I am not going to analyze this show in detail, just make some comments.

The first son we met was working his butt off but without any training or pizza making knowledge. Later we met the other two sons. I sincerely hope that in real life they are not the complete lazy worthless Jersey Shore punk-asses they played on the show. Really, social media influencers/owners? I did notice that after GR pulls off the miracle turn around to success, these two were not noticeably doing anything useful except making videos of themselves while everybody else (including a couple of people I don’t remember seeing before the miracle) were hustling.

Dad shows up for the first time after the miracle restaurant make over is done. I don’t have any idea what his role (if any) in opening the restaurant and leaving it in the hands of his incompetent wife and the one hard-working but unskilled son.

The follow up was lame, it just told us that in the two months after the show the restaurant is now very busy. I don’t know how long that will last before the GR aura fades away. Also, being busy doesn’t say anything about profitability and/or addressing the half million debt (which is undoubtedly running up interest charges. Oh well, GR was happy, people were smiling at the end and all is well. I give them six months before selling or closing.

53 minutes ago, vibeology said:

The other two sons have over two million followers on social media. That doesn't happen by accident. They have worked very hard to build a successful brand and they absolutely should not tie themselves to the sinking ship

The number of followers doesn't necessarily mean success or a career or anything more than a short flash in the pan notoriety. There was no indication that they have built a brand with any utility, and the videoing there were shown doing on the show looked mindless, but how much of this impression was scripted by the show I don't know. I hope they are better based than what we saw.

• Like 5

Something seemed off about this episode, almost like people playing a part. My son is convinced this was something set up for the boys video channels. This woman was bouncing checks as soon as the place opened and said she can’t buy anything with credit. How is that going to work going forward? Than the son talking about not being able to afford quality tomatoes. What were they using?

The whole family seemed to be acting . There is no way the 22 has the experience to run everything and the mom and younger boys aren’t going to do anything. I liked the 22 year old but couldn’t stand the rest.

Edited by Madding crowd
  • Like 9