Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E10: Outside

oompa
  • Start Topic

What will Jules need to do to gain proper "sight"?  I don't think the air is breathable, so taking the helmet off is a no go

Did anyone happen to count the silos? I missed it

So Simms may turn out to be a decent guy after all?

Is it true the second season has been shot already?  I need S2 now!

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Mr. R0b0t said:

Acc to Wikipedia, filming for S2 began around end of June 2023. I think it was confirmed by the author of the series that S2 will air in 2024.

There's also going to be a Reddit AMA on July 2nd with the author of the Silo series (he's also the executive producer of the show!)

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
(edited)

I take it back that we should be able to binge watch the whole season... we should be able to binge watch ALL seasons!

Apart from some unrealistic moments, like how Jules survived that fall and was able to go up hundreds of floors  soon after, this was pretty good. Of course the slow pace was there to annoy us, but still...

The whole sequence with Jules going upstairs in shackles, asking for water etc, sacrificing herself for the good of others, did give a bit of Jesus vibes, dunno how this was in the books.

Jules watching George's end was really harsh..

Walker finally honored her name! Yay!

Poor Lucas...

Questions, questions and more questions.

So many Silos... and so close to each  other. So the big door George was talking about is for Silos inter communication? 
Do people from other Silos visit ours and vice versa? 

Why Bernard talks about the Silo's survival all the time? What he is afraid of? I do not think it would make much difference if the people got to know there are more Silos..maybe there is a "big brother" watching and wants the Silos stay isolated from each other?

Is the air outside breathable?? Did the other "cleaners" die from the air outside and the faulty tape preventing to seal the suit? or it was that thing they sprayed them with before the go outside? And there was a city (Atlanta?)? Are there survivors there?

9 hours ago, Mr. R0b0t said:

Hmm... nah he is still a creep, having no problem torturing people or throwing them to their death or beating women while on custody. nothing excuses such behavior.
I am glad the mayor was with him when they re-arrested Jules, I do not even want to think about the alternative.

I am really tempted to buy the book, can someone please tell us here (without spoilers) how much different the book is? on a scale from 1 to 10?

p.s.

If I were Jules I would go to every Silo's camera and wave "hi". I mean why not? 😁

Edited by Zaffy
  • Like 6
  • Love 1

What I want to know is when Jules bent down to touch the bodies and they shimmered and she then put the sheriff's badge on them and the mayor muttered, "She's figured it out".  What does that whole sequence mean?

And another question: When she goes outside, she sees the green grass and the blue skies and then her view changes to the bleak view everybody inside the silo sees, which is it?

I think the green grass was just an image projected inside her helmet and when she reached down to touch the bodies she couldn't actually SEE the bodies because of the image, but she felt them - and then when she got too far from the silo the image disappeared because she was too far from the silo's wifi where the projected image was coming from

that's my theory anyway  lol

• Like 11
  • Useful 6
45 minutes ago, HerkyJerky said:

And another question: When she goes outside, she sees the green grass and the blue skies and then her view changes to the bleak view everybody inside the silo sees, which is it?

The fake display of green and blue sky was just for her, projecting through the helmet. The people in the Silo were watching what was really outside. When she reached a certain distance the fake display stopped transmitting and she also watched the real world.

• Like 5
  • Useful 2

The power went out a couple of episodes ago, and the image in the cafeteria flickered for a second to the blue skies and Green grass image. So, if in reality the view outside is actually the bleak landscape, then what’s the purpose of the fake image?

• Like 3
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 3
(edited)

Wow. I'm guessing Jules' silo is silo no. 16? 18?

Anyway, this was a nailbiter. I figured that the nice, lovely landscape was just an illusion/ image. Maybe just for the helmet display in order to get everyone to clean.

But not what the reality was.

I hope she'll find some other refugees. Too bad Allison and Holston wouldn't be among them...

I agree I need the whole show now!!

re: Jesus vibes - interesting observation. I thought Bernard was a study in (quasi-) religious fundamentalism: The founders leave us many mysteries, but wtf, we'll do what they supposedly told us to do!

So that imagery would fit.

Edited by ofmd
  • Like 3

So WOW show! This episode was awesome. We found out just enough things to figure out the outside world really is uninhabitable, the faulty heat tape was why people sent out to clean die, and yet, there was a good cliff hanger to the end of the season. My guess that this is silo #18 was right! I never get guesses right. 😁

This show is SO good. The cold open was enthralling and exciting. This show's pacing is perfect for me. The increasing tension throughout the episode is fantastic. I love how this show doesn't beat you over the head with answers, but gives you enough information to put the pieces together if you really want to.

This is a stark contrast (for me) to From where there are no answers, and the protagonists are never given enough information to fight back against the darkness.

I still love the fact this show only releases one episode each week. I got to look forward to  and enjoy watching this show for 10 weeks plus I'm going to rewatch to try to pick up things I missed the first time (not knowing what I know now). In comparison, I watched season 2 of The Bear in an entire afternoon plus rewatched both seasons in a week. The Bear is awesome, and I don't regret watching it, but I'd much rather have more time to spend enjoying and thinking about a great show (like a meat and potatoes dinner) instead of enjoying it in an afternoon and forgetting about it a week or two later (like eating cotton candy).

3 hours ago, HerkyJerky said:

The power went out a couple of episodes ago, and the image in the cafeteria flickered for a second to the blue skies and Green grass image. So, if in reality the view outside is actually the bleak landscape, then what’s the purpose of the fake image?

My guess is the outside cameras temporarily lost connectivity during the shutdown leaving only the fake, internal view. When the generator supplied enough energy to power the external ones again they turned back on.

Now I want to read the book(s). Book readers, which one(s) does the show cover so far? I don't want to be spoiled for the tv show so I don't want to read too far ahead. 

Wow. I hadn't heard of this show and only started watching it because Rashida Jones was in it. What a fantastic surprise it's been. 

• Like 8
15 hours ago, Mr. R0b0t said:

What will Jules need to do to gain proper "sight"?  I don't think the air is breathable, so taking the helmet off is a no go

Did anyone happen to count the silos? I missed it

I just read interview with Rebecca Ferguson on ew.com. 2nd season has been written and they're shooting it. they better hurry if the SAG strike happens.  She's a producer so she knows what Yost is writing, etc.  I think I read there are 50 silos (could be mistaken). 

I had a feeling something about the suits made people die.  I still don't get why they project a lush green landscape if they want people to be terrified to go out.  I did fall for the Mayor actually being a good guy, but thought it might be an act.  I like the Deputy with the syndrome. 

Why not just tell people, there was a nuclear war or whatever happened, and this was the only way we could keep everyone safe. Why be such jerks about it?  

They had quite an amazing group of actors that they killed off, huh?   I was surprised at how good this was. The first couple episodes were a little confusing, it was so dark, I couldn't see what was happening, I had to adjust the lighting feature on my tv.  But man this show has everything. I don't particularly care for dystopian stories (but this and Last of Us are so well written I'm coming around). Murder mystery, conspiracies, political villains, everything I love. 

• Like 5

Full disclosure, I spoiled myself by reading the synopsis of the book series on Wikipedia. Sue me, I'm still recovering from Lost.

There are still little things here and there I don't get. Chief among them is the people working in the surveillance room. Clearly they don't have the full picture themselves since Holland started yelling "turn around! shut your eyes!" as soon as the "blue skies" image showed up on their screens. Nor does Sims, apparently. So what do they actually think they're doing in there, and why? And how do they keep it secret from their families? The only entrance seems to be through this utility closet, hasn't anyone noticed all those people coming and going every day?

8 hours ago, HerkyJerky said:

What I want to know is when Jules bent down to touch the bodies and they shimmered and she then put the sheriff's badge on them and the mayor muttered, "She's figured it out".  What does that whole sequence mean?

I didn't get this either. I get that Holland realized she figured out the image on her screen was a lie. I don't get what the badge had to do with interfering with that image.

Someone upthread suggested once she got far enough away from the Silo it's WiFi cut out and she no longer saw the fake image it was projecting. I'll buy that. Still don't know what the badge did though or why she had the forethought to request taking it out with her.

6 hours ago, ofmd said:

I figured that the nice, lovely landscape was just an illusion/ image. Maybe just for the helmet display in order to get everyone to clean.

That's my assumption as well. Everyone goes outside, sees a nice pretty landscape and thinks by cleaning the sensor everyone inside will be able to see it too. Although that's rather a leap. The stark contrast between the barren wasteland and the idyllic vista couldn't be reconciled merely by a dirty camera lens.

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 2
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

Still don't know what the badge did though or why she had the forethought to request taking it out with her.

Not sure the badge had anything to do with the glitch.. she took it with her to leave it next to sheriff Holston to honor him.

• Like 9
  • Useful 1
(edited)

Good episode. I did not see that twist coming.

What was that tall stuff beyond the Silos? Mountains? The remains of buildings?

What happens when they run our of suits?

Hope next season we see some more Silos. Do some of the other Silos know about each other's existaece? Are their societies different?

Edited by marinw
  • Like 3
29 minutes ago, marinw said:

Good episode. I did not see that twist coming.

What was that tall stuff beyond the Silos? Mountains? The remains of buildings?

What happens when they run our of suits?

Hope next season we see some more Silos. Do some of the other Silos know about each other's existaece? Are there societies different?

Pretty sure the tall stuff was a city’s downtown, maybe Atlanta since we saw the Georgia book in an earlier episode.

Good reveal of the other Silos. I don’t understand the point of the fake green trees/blue sky visuals. You’d think they would make people more prone to unrest rather than being satisfied with their situation. It seems like the visuals on the hard drive were just a misinterpretation  of what was going on outside.

• Like 5

So was the hard drive the installation media for Silo OS 18? 😁

Such a good episode. As the show got nearer to the end I was getting *very worried* that we were going to be left with a cliffhanger of Juliette gazing out at… something… then cut to black!

Wonderful how key questions were answered, but many others, including those referred to in the mayor’s “cleaning speech”, have now been brought to the fore.

Good job, show!

• Like 10

I'm still not sure what the point is of projecting a lovely spring landscape to the cleaners.  (Jules' drop the sponge moment was great though.)  Wouldn't the reality of a bleak, desolate outside be better to keep people fearful?  Up until the moment the same flock of birds flew by they had me believing the pretty pictures were real and I was yelling at Jules to take off the helmet (thinking the air inside it was poisoned).  So apparently the Supply people gave her better tape (something "wool" thus the title of the book?) so she wouldn't  be poisoned?

I had started watching this with nothing else to do.  It was basically background noise while I played games on my phone but by the end of the last couple episodes I was drawn in.  Not sure it was good enough for me to remember until next year but maybe I'll pick up the books in the meantime.

• Like 6
  • Applause 1

About the only thing I can figure is that the idea of a green landscape gives people hope for the future that someday they, or their children, will be able to return to the outside world when it’s safe. To constantly gaze at the bleak barren landscape might be terribly depressing and lead people to give up hope.

• Like 5
(edited)

So why hide the existence of the other Silos from Silo 18 (if that's where this season took place)? The Silos could communicate and even share resources if my tunnel theory is correct. Or Silo 18 was cut off from the other Silos after the rebellion or whatever that was.

I read the first book but need to read the second one!

Edited by marinw
  • Like 3
(edited)
18 minutes ago, Rickster said:

To constantly gaze at the bleak barren landscape might be terribly depressing and lead people to give up hope.

A reminder to obey the Pact and be good citizens so you won't have to clean.

Edited by marinw
  • Like 6
1 hour ago, Haleth said:

I'm still not sure what the point is of projecting a lovely spring landscape to the cleaners.

This the reply by the Author of the Book himself (no spoilers)

Gotta weed out the people who "think" it's okay outside. Then give them exactly what they expect to see. Which makes them want to clean to "show" everyone else they were right. Also gets them giddy to the point of numb obedience.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 3
(edited)
2 hours ago, Haleth said:

I'm still not sure what the point is of projecting a lovely spring landscape to the cleaners.  (Jules' drop the sponge moment was great though.)  Wouldn't the reality of a bleak, desolate outside be better to keep people fearful?  Up until the moment the same flock of birds flew by they had me believing the pretty pictures were real and I was yelling at Jules to take off the helmet (thinking the air inside it was poisoned).  So apparently the Supply people gave her better tape (something "wool" thus the title of the book?) so she wouldn't  be poisoned?

The only people who see the pretty landscape are those who go out to clean and my guess is it’s so they will feel the need to clean off the camera to “show” everyone how nice it really is out there. Otherwise you’ll have a bunch of refusers once they get outside and nothing but a dirty camera.  The powers that be really do want that outside camera clean to be able to see what’s going on out there.

So the faulty tape lets the poison into their suits and Jules survives because Walker switched out the tape. I couldn’t see the bodies of the others and I was really looking. Maybe will have to watch again.

How much Oxygen can she possibly have in that tiny pack? Will other silos let her in? Man now I’m invested for next season.

Also did anyone else get the feeling mayor IT guy didn’t know about the big door George found? He seemed to blink for a second.  

Edited by MissL
  • Like 10
15 hours ago, Zaffy said:

Not sure the badge had anything to do with the glitch.. she took it with her to leave it next to sheriff Holston to honor him.

I hadn't thought of that. There was a glitch though. Was that just coincidence? Was the glitch caused by the fact that she was getting far enough away from the Silo? Or would anything she touched have glitched, regardless of distance, since it isn't real?

1 hour ago, MissL said:

Also did anyone else get the feeling mayor IT guy didn’t know about the big door George found? He seemed to blink for a second.  

I clocked that reaction too.

• Like 6
3 hours ago, MissL said:

I don't think he did.. Probably why he went back and kept the pieces of the smashed hard drive..

Also they projected the fake image to all the screens at the start. I know it was only for a few seconds but did no one see that? Hard to believe that not a single member in the silo saw the projected image (Except the people who were monitoring them through the cameras). Maybe some of these workers might let this knowledge slip to others in the next season?

I also wondered why those who go out to clean always go in the direction the camera is facing and not any other way. Or just try to mess with the camera in general like make it point up or something lol. If the camera broke would they be forced to send someone out to repair it..

• Like 4

This was a great episode. I’d really encourage people to read the books. They create such an amazing world and characters….it’s been a very long time since books affected me like that. 

• Like 6
  • Useful 1
9 hours ago, MissL said:

The only people who see the pretty landscape are those who go out to clean and my guess is it’s so they will feel the need to clean off the camera to “show” everyone how nice it really is out there.

This was my take as well. 

As for the finale episode.....Loved every nanosecond. Her moment of "Oh my God. We never stood a chance!" down to knowing right where to place the old sheriff's badge. No wonder all the others "cleaned" but she didn't. Like Bernard said, "she knows".

What a maze of several other silos. Theirs being #18 of many.

She was being fed the lush green landscape in her visor. IT was the lie. IMO why everyone else "cleaned". The cleaners wanted everyone watching to see the beautiful landscape but it was a lie. The bodies were not a hologram. The fake lush green landscape covered her from seeing reality: the bodies in the toxic, barren landscape. Until she was far enough away from however the feed was being fed into her visor.  This was the series ending's big twist. I also think this is why she fell. Have to watch again but think she tripped over a body part near the tree. She then figured out the lie she was being fed through her visor and left the sheriff's badge on his body.

Enjoyed the gang here checking out the show each week and reading your take on each episode.  Hope to see you back for season 2.

It's going to be a long wait to 2024. May dive into the books.

• Like 8
  • Fire 1

I like that initially, you assume the lush landscape the cleaners see is what's being kept from the people of the silo, but no, it actually is a barren wasteland. Jules survived thanks to Walker making sure she had tape that wouldn't let the outside air in and she figured out she's being shown a simulation because it was identical to the one she saw on the hard drive. Sims was confused when Bernard said Jules figured it out, so it's clear that he and the other secret IT workers aren't being told the full truth. I'm guessing only Bernard actually knows about the other silos. I agree with other posters who think Bernard didn't know about the door beneath the silo until Jules mentioned it.

This raises a ton of questions that I can't wait to get the answers to. Why can't the residents know the reason they live in a silo or that other silos exist? The fact that people aren't even allowed to know what stars are or that they live in Georgia is crazy. I wonder if people in the other silos are allowed to know multiple silos exist or if they're all keeping people in the dark like Silo 18. 

There's no way I can wait until next year to find out, so I'm gonna have to buy the book series. 

• Like 7
(edited)

Thanks to posters explaining the use of the Edenesque video.

But the follow-up idea—that the reason the Exiters then clean the camera lens is so the Siloers can see the “true” world—seems unconvincing.

Does the Exiter really think the very detailed dystopic hellscape 10K people have been seeing for decades is because of some schmutz on the lens? That a few woolly wipes will reveal the blue-sky lushness? That makes zero sense to me. I can only fanwank that the Exiter is becoming oxygen-deprived and thus cognitively impaired. But I find myself unconvincing to myself on this. 

Edited by Penman61
  • Like 4
  • Useful 3
28 minutes ago, Penman61 said:

Does the Exiter really think the very detailed dystopic hellscape 10K people have been seeing for decades is because of some schmutz on the lens? That a few woolly wipes will reveal the blue-sky lushness? That makes zero sense to me. I can only fanwank that the Exiter is becoming oxygen-deprived and thus cognitively impaired. But I find myself unconvincing to myself on this. 

My theory is that they're simply ignorant about how video cameras work so the cleaners think wiping the lens will let the people inside see the green landscape. It seems obvious to us that cameras don't work that way, but if you've never seen or used one in your entire life, you might believe that's what happens. In the previous episode, Jules and the two guys were shocked by George's video on the hard drive and George says, "Pretty crazy right? So this is a video..." 

And people in the silo have basically been brainwashed into complacency (only Lucas wonders about the lights in the sky, for example), so they won't be thinking, "hey, would someone wiping the lens really make us see something different?" 

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
(edited)

There's a nice interview with book author and showcreator Hugh Howey. Season 1 spoilers and I guess book spoilers wrt the differences to the show. No specific future spoilers beyond one instance of "we'll see more of dept. x" and "person y will play a role"

His outlook: "I think we're going to get to tell this whole story."

Parts of season 3 had already been written before the wrtiers' strike hit.

Edited by ofmd
  • Like 2
  • Useful 5
13 hours ago, Penman61 said:

That was my issue as well. Plus - everyone in the Silo has watched someone go outside and clean. Even fairly recently. They already know cleaning the lens doesn't change the landscape.

For me, this was a weak spot in the writing. It was obviously meant to throw us off into thinking the barren wasteland was a lie and the pretty landscape was the truth just so we'd be shocked at the ending. The author's explanation for the pretty landscape video just doesn't wash with me. The only reason for it is to throw us, the audience, off.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1

I keep remembering Holston's wife saying she'll clean if it's green. Most people may think if they clean good enough, everyone watching will also see what they're seeing.

Another take to cleaning:  Those previous to Juliette perhaps cleaned in hopes no one else would have to go outside for several years.  Juliette's choice not to clean fits her personality, being an obvious F you to Bernard & Co.  Plus she did tell Bernard she wouldn't clean.  She kept her word.

• Like 5

I don’t have a well fleshed out theory for why the population hasn’t been told about the other silos, but whoever founded them clearly wanted a totalitarian regime. They also forbid the possession of certain technologies including microscopes. So I’m guessing the Founders were zealots of some sort, possibly religious ones, who thought that technology is the root of evil. They’re not super consistent about it because they clearly allow cameras, but they don’t even allow an elevator in the silo. Have we even seen a form of transportation of any kind? Or an engine? The Founders apparently banned all of it. For what reason? I don’t know. That’s why I’m guessing religious zealotry. It doesn't have to make sense to us if it makes sense to them.

• Like 6

It’s not clear to me whether the Founders banned all technology, or if at least some of the bans and restrictions were later responses to the rebellion that has been mentioned in the show.

• Like 5
(edited)

So where exactly are the Mines? How can you have mines in a Silo? At least we know the Silo People have raw materials to make stuff with.

On 7/1/2023 at 11:04 AM, MissL said:

How much Oxygen can she possibly have in that tiny pack? Will other silos let her in? Man now I’m invested for next season.

This season have been about people leaving a Silo. We don't know what happens when someone tries to get in. Here's hoping that a Silo which is less repressive will see Jules and let her in before her oxygen runs out.

Edited by marinw
  • Like 7
(edited)

HA, I wondered about the mines, too.

As for Juliette... I wouldn't rule out they let her die and we will follow Walker or Luke or others carry the torch of knowledge forward. I hope I'm wrong.

Btw, great that Walker managed to, well, walk out.

So many possibilities for the other silos!

Maybe they are all deserted, Silo 18 being the last one with its inhabitants alive. (Not likely.)

Maybe they are all pretty much the same, a quasi-fascist state that keeps its citizens from any knowledge not needed for keeping the silo going, particularly that about other survivors.

Maybe each one is different.

Maybe all the others are more enlightened, connected to each other via tunnels, and only Silo 18 has fallen into the dark ages after the rebellion/ destruction of past info, and the rulers just got the founders' message all wrong.

Maybe all the other silos are worse. (Unlikely.)

Maybe they are all isolated from each other because it's all a huge experiment to see what will develop in each of the silos.

Maybe they're all isolated from each other, but some silos are better than others.

Maybe some have an underground movement going, connected via the tunnels.

Maybe the tunnels can be reached from the mines, wherever they are.

Maybe...

Edited by ofmd
  • Like 10
(edited)

i would think that the mines would be at the bottom of the silo - where George's hangout and the big door was found. why isn't there evidence of mining down there (active or otherwise) instead of just the abandoned driller?

Edited by zapper
  • Like 4
22 hours ago, go4luca said:

Most people may think if they clean good enough, everyone watching will also see what they're seeing.

But they've been on the inside watching other people clean. Do they think those people just didn't clean hard enough?

I think maybe if "going out to clean" was so rare few people alive had ever seen it before, then the whole fake-out with the lush greenery would make more sense.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

But they've been on the inside watching other people clean. Do they think those people just didn't clean hard enough?

I think maybe if "going out to clean" was so rare few people alive had ever seen it before, then the whole fake-out with the lush greenery would make more sense.

My take is this has been an unusual amount of cleanings in a row and usually, it's more rare.  But I could be wrong.  Regardless, it's interesting the various takes each of us has.

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, go4luca said:

My take is this has been an unusual amount of cleanings in a row and usually, it's more rare.  But I could be wrong.  Regardless, it's interesting the various takes each of us has.

Or maybe they think the greenery has grown back since the last person cleaned?

• Like 2

In a post season interview, Rebecca Ferguson (Jules) said that in season 2 things will now can be dark...
Which makes me wonder what the hell they have in mind, since season 1 wasn't exactly joyous... 

Also the writer of the books confirmed about Bernard (I put it as spoiler but I am not sure if it is)

Spoiler

he had no clue about the big  metal door below that Jules told him about.

Which means even if he seems to be the one knowing everything, he still misses some crucial facts, like that there is a possible connection between the Silos.

What kind of annoyed me (and I dunno how they did that in the books), is how easy was for Bernard to condemn Jules to death.
I mean she is definitely smart, competent and useful, why he did not try to convince her to work with him after sharing some of his knowledge with her? It is not that they have plenty of people like Jules in the Silo, to kill such an asset without even trying to recruit her, well it is stupid.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
4 hours ago, Zaffy said:

Reveal spoiler

he had no clue about the big  metal door below that Jules told him about.

Which means even if he seems to be the one knowing everything, he still misses some crucial facts, like that there is a possible connection between the Silos.

I mean she is definitely smart, competent and useful, why he did not try to convince her to work with him after sharing some of his knowledge with her? It is not that they have plenty of people like Jules in the Silo, to kill such an asset without even trying to recruit her, well it is stupid.

I don't know. I woundn't  want Jules around too if I was Bernard (who wants people to obbey him without being questioned).

She's not someone he would be able to control. 

About the cleaning...I think the fake video shows what people want to see (that it's possible leaving the Silo). So I think they lose all rational thought when they are exposed to that image. Also the second they step outside they're being poisoned by the toxic air, right? That probably messes with their senses. 

Juliette wasn't being poisoned (because of the tapes) and understood that it was the same video that she saw. She also was aware of what a video was (because George left her that message. I don't think Alison knew about that.).

• Like 4
8 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

I think he could not recruit her because of her blaming him for her mother. 

6 hours ago, braziliangirl said:

I don't know. I woundn't  want Jules around too if I was Bernard (who wants people to obbey him without being questioned).

He could at least try, after all he has all the power to keep Jules "under control, like he did when he made a "deal" with her by threatening her friends'  safety.
And ok, he might not want to trust Jules as an assistant/shadow/etc, but why not just make her go back to mechanical to continue to maintain the generator which is the most vital machine in the Silo?
But instead he very easily prefers killing people  in a very small society that needs every single competent person.

• Like 3
7 hours ago, Zaffy said:

But instead he very easily prefers killing people  in a very small society that needs every single competent person.

I think they value complacency over competency. If you recall, they only let certain people procreate, and Gloria told Allison they only wanted the most docile, obedient people to have children, which is why she couldn't get pregnant. Jules is at the very opposite of the spectrum of desirables. There are already lots of people who can run the generator, even if she's really good at it.

• Like 8
  • Useful 1
14 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

There are already lots of people who can run the generator, even if she's really good at it

But are they? cause if I remember well, in the episode where Jules fixed the generator, her boss told her she has to train her shadow (the young fella she punched) like if none one else really  knew how to handle the generator as she does.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
8 hours ago, WatcherUatl10 said:

Yeah, this is my problem. If the atmosphere outside was lovely and they were being lied to all along about the dangers faced if they left, or even thought of leaving, I could see some reasoning behind the Fascism involved in the Silo, but all that manipulation and violence, etc. just to "hide" a truth that they are already enforcing? Why?

It's not rational. Some human beings just want control, want to dominate others, and come up with justifications after the fact. But it's about their feelings and desires. 

• Like 5