Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Golden Globes - General Discussion

• Start Topic

47 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

In typical HFPA fashion, they went for the big names and so while not surprising, still rollling my eyes really hard at the nominations for Big Little Lies and especially Morning Show. Morning Show is the biggest joke. The series has gotten okay to middling reviews but there was no way they weren't going to get Aniston in there. 

Never forget that the HFPA consists of *90 members* whose primary qualification seems to be "international media whore."  But they throw an awards show with lots of booze, so there you go.

S2 of Big Little Lies wasn't even a joke.  It was a travesty.

• Love 2

Forgot to add that the only thing I cared about for the television categories, was Rami Malek getting a nomination for the last season of Mr. Robot. 

I was worried it was a long shot with the show taking two years to get to the final season, plus it had sort of fallen off with the critics in the last season.

But this season has just been brilliant and Rami's performance stellar.

Edited by truthaboutluv

No nomination for Jeremy Strong in Succession is a travesty.  And no nominations at all for Watchmen is ridiculous. The GGs become more of a farce each year.

At least the Critic's Choice nominations, also out today, got those nominations right.

I'm looking forward to the return of Ricky Gervais to the Golden Globes tonight.  I know he says that this is the last one he is ever going to host, which I hope is not true.  At the same time, if Ricky is truly thinking that this will be the last Golden Globes he ever hosts, he might be even 'looser' and more unfiltered than usual. 

I don't know if Ricky would ever be a good annual host again (too many actors and viewers would be offended by his comments to want him there every year, as he just ruffles too many feathers), but I like that he breezes in once in a blue moon and shakes things up.  I liked it when he hosted for a few consecutive years, because he just had an "I don't care what I say" kind of attitude that I found refreshing in that specific setting and context.  It made the show feel a bit more unpredictable and edgy, and less stuffy. 

• Love 1

For the most part I like Gervais. But to be honest, seeing as I've never felt hosts were necessary to these shows and seeing how well a host-less Oscars worked, I'm kind of meh about his return tonight. 

Now before the night starts, locking in my main predictions:

Best Drama (Joker)

Best Comedy/Musical (Once Upon a Time)

Best Actor - Drama (Joaquin Phoenix)

Best Actress - Drama (Renee Zellwegger)

Best Actor - Comedy/Musical (Leo DiCaprio or Eddie Murphy. Really split on that one)

Best Actress - Comedy/Musical (Awkwafina)

Best Supporting Actor (Brad Pitt)

Best Supporting Actress (Kathy Bates) 

Best Director (Bong Joon Ho)

Best Screenplay (Noah Baumbach)

Best Original Score (Joker)

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 1

I'm much better at predicting Oscars so here's mine. It's a mix of what I want and what I think will win. I look forward to returning to this list post-Globes to see how wrong I was.

• Best Drama- I want The Irishman/I expect 1917
  • Best Comedy/Musical- I want Knives Out/I expect Once Upon A Time In Hollywood
  • Best Actor Drama- I expect Joaquin Phoenix
  • Best Actress Drama- I want Saoirse Ronan/I expect Scarlett Johannsson
  • Best Actor Comedy/Musical- I want and expect Leo
  • Best Actress Comedy/Musical- I want Ana de Armas/I expect Cate Blanchett
  • Best Supporting Actor- I want Al, Brad, Joe, and Tom to tie/I expect Brad Pitt
  • Best Supporting Actress- I want Jennifer Lopez/I expect Lauren Dern
  • Best Animated- I want and expect Toy Story 4
  • Best Foreign Language- I will be beyond shocked if Parasite doesn't win
  • Best Director- I will be equally shocked if Bong Joon Ho doesn't win this as well
  • Best Screenplay- Same here, I am certain Bong Joon Ho and Han Jin Won will win
  • Best Original Score- It's a toss up for me between Joker and Little Women
  • Best Original Song- I expect it to go to Rocketman

• Best TV Drama- I expect Succession with The Crown as the dark horse
  • Best TV Comedy- Fleabag
  • Best TV Actress Drama- I want Olivia Coleman/I expect Jodie Comer
  • Best TV Actor Drama- I want and expect Billy Porter
  • Best TV Actress Comedy- Phoebe Waller-Bridge
  • Best TV Actor Comedy- I don't watch any of these so I'll say Bill Hader
  • Best Limited Series- I want Fosse/Verdon/I expect Chernobyl
  • Best Actress Limited Series- I want and expect Michelle Williams
  • Best Actor Limited Series- I expect Jared Harris
  • Bullshit All TV Supporting Actress- I want Helena Bonham Carter/I expect Emily Watson
  • Bullshit All TV Supporting Actor- I want Andrew Scott/I expect Stellan Skarsgard

Swet jesus! I didn't know that was Pierce Brosnan until E! finally got the chryon up.

And I have so much carry-over hate for Andrew Scott from Sherlock that I can't even look at him.

8 minutes ago, ABay said:

The material Giuliana is wearing never works. It might be lovely in person but on TV it looks trashy.

Why does it always look like someone sat on her head??!!

Edited by Bugaboo

I hope Leo wins a GG this year. Not because Eddie doesn't deserve it and Eddie isn't amazing and the funniest person ever. But Leo always gets awarded for performances that aren't good and not awarded for his truly great performances. He didn't win for What's Eating Gilbert Grape, Django Unchained, The Departed, and did win for Revenant. 

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood had some of his best acting so of course he won't win going by the pattern.

3 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Joey King, WTF?

It’s kind of a cool art piece and optical illusionary look, but  it it did not fit her well in front.

Edited by Thumper
  • Love 1

Erin Lim is the one I was talking about earlier with the weird one-sort-of-sleeve dress thing.

1 minute ago, Thumper said:

It’s kind of a cool art piece and optical illusionary look,  it it did not fit her well in front.

It is a cool art piece, but it doesn't work for me as a dress.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Browncoat said:

Sofia Vergara always wears the same style dress, but damn if it doesn't work for her, and she changes enough details (color, trim, etc.) that it doesn't always look the same.

She is the only actress that ever looks like a true movie star!

• Love 5

They showed a quick glimpse of Brad Pitt on the carpet.  I am generally not a huge fan of his as far as getting all swoony and googly over his looks, but he looked really good in that quick shot on the carpet.  He seems to be holding up well.

Edited by TVFan17
  • Love 3