Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E06: Manhappiness / S02.E07: To Ed

• Start Topic

Distancing herself from Joel, Sam concentrates on helping Tricia with her blossoming pillow business – which soon faces sabotage from Charity. Meanwhile, Fred attempts to play peacemaker with Sam and Joel.

and

After reuniting with Joel at a funeral, Sam takes stock of herself and her actions – and decides to make things right with her best friend. Then, everyone comes together for an epic celebration of love and partnership at Fred and Susan’s wedding.

Airing Sunday, May 28th, 2023 - season finale.

• Like 1

After Succession and Barry, this was quite a palate cleanser. People valuing relationships and working at them. The toast to Ed was everything. He would have been the best man.🥲 And what a great description from Fred about what he was to him.

• Like 12
  • Fire 1
  • Love 3

Was the packaging of the pillows supposed to be comedy? The whole scene was strange with the massive boxes and packing peanuts and Sam diligently following directions that made no sense for shipping pillows. 

The whole season was wrapped up too quickly and tidily with a death to force Sam come to her senses about cutting people out of her life and then a wedding to end on a high note. For a show that otherwise was pleasantly different from most other tv shows , these last two episodes felt very screenwriting 101. 

• Like 4
(edited)

C'mon, Sam. Charity is a c*nt, but don't waste that good butter pecan ice cream.

a60d9636-d242-49b7-a2c8-aa67d0099f9d_text.gif.e2de451c1a0c7bb7d54e5c6e101dd53a.gif

And this is not a drill, this is not a drill: Hot Neighbor is back! And not a total drug pusher.

Edited by Corgi-ears
  • Like 3
  • LOL 2

I thought this show was so sleepy at first, but this season really came alive, I kind of want to live in a town like this (but only for the people and the nearby ice cream shops). I hope HBO hangs onto this show, they have a bad habit of canceling sows after two seasons unless they’re Entourage and Game of Thrones.

• Like 6
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, retired watcher said:

Also, pillows wouldn't need packing peanuts because they aren't fragile.

That was the first thing I thought too, pillows don't need packing peanuts! Which are expensive by the way. And the enormous boxes are more expensive to ship, USPS anyway.

I love Fred! I was afraid for a moment we were going to have a runaway bride, but thank goodness no, there she appeared in all her glory. It was such a beautiful wedding setup, props to Tricia.

"Gloria" is so much more Sam's style of song, really great job on that. All in all a very satisfying finale, that maybe came a little too quickly. I wonder if the writers' strike shortened the season?

• Like 8
  • Love 1

I love this show. Please come back.

3 minutes ago, Beezella said:

That was the first thing I thought too, pillows don't need packing peanuts! Which are expensive by the way. And the enormous boxes are more expensive to ship, USPS anyway.

I love Fred! I was afraid for a moment we were going to have a runaway bride, but thank goodness no, there she appeared in all her glory. It was such a beautiful wedding setup, props to Tricia.

"Gloria" is so much more Sam's style of song, really great job on that. All in all a very satisfying finale, that maybe came a little too quickly. I wonder if the writers' strike shortened the season?

There were only 7 last year too.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
19 hours ago, oldCJ said:

Was the packaging of the pillows supposed to be comedy? The whole scene was strange with the massive boxes and packing peanuts and Sam diligently following directions that made no sense for shipping pillows. 

I was wondering about this, too. I couldn't stop focusing on it. Maybe it was a 'Tricia' thing to do.

5 hours ago, Beezella said:

I kept saying to myself, 'Please don't let Fred get hurt.' Whew! I was so relieved to see Susan appear. And, yes, Tricia did a really good job. The whole wedding was beautiful and fun. I wanted to be there, too.

I think I liked Sam's rendition of Gloria better in the car with Joel than at the wedding. 

I didn't realize the title of the finale was "To Ed." 

Love Fred and his party bus -- The Growler, right? 

Sam: Do you ever think who'll be at your funeral?
Joel: Maybe my dad’ll come, and then I’ll finally get to meet him!

• Like 3
  • Love 1
21 hours ago, oldCJ said:

Yes, because Sam's sister has clearly never dealt with the Internet economy on anything until Amy Sedaris blew up her line of decorative "c***" throw pillows.  C'mon, boxing each pillow with a hundred thousand packing peanuts and a thank-you note?  Tricia's clearly out of her depth, here, though she definitely shows signs of catching on.  Eventually.

I'm glad they got a chance to deliver such a wonderful hour-long season finale that also functions as a series finale, because I'm pretty sure that evil asshole David Zaslav is going to cancel this show before the third season.  And possibly wipe it from Max entirely, so he doesn't have to pay anyone residuals.

• Like 6
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

Yes, way too few episodes and the ending came too soon! I hope this endlessly bittersweet show comes back, but if it doesn't, a nice little finale. But please don't let it be a series finale. 

I was sure she would, but so glad Sam got out of her own way and made up with Joel, who didn't do a damn thing wrong. But people are flawed and feelings easily hurt, even when you're a bold and bossy chick like Sam. 

The wedding was very sweet, and pretty. 

• Like 9
  • Love 1

I was a little confused and may have missed something earlier in the series re the father's passing... I thought he was away on a trip.  I def felt it (sadness) during the barn cleaning episode but it wasn't really clear to me then that Mike Hagerty, the actual actor had died in real life. Maybe I did miss something or maybe they wanted to somehow carry him through to the ending but glad they did clearly honour the father and the actor in the finale. 🕊️

• Like 2
45 minutes ago, endure said:

I was a little confused and may have missed something earlier in the series re the father's passing... I thought he was away on a trip.  I def felt it (sadness) during the barn cleaning episode but it wasn't really clear to me then that Mike Hagerty, the actual actor had died in real life. Maybe I did miss something or maybe they wanted to somehow carry him through to the ending but glad they did clearly honour the father and the actor in the finale. 🕊️

Sam's father isn't dead. He's away on a trip, but Sam just still missed him and saw the end of an era. And him being on the trip was why he wasn't at the wedding too.

• Like 5
  • Love 1
On 5/28/2023 at 10:56 PM, oldCJ said:

I would interpret as one of those typical scratch your head in wonder moments thrown in there because we all encounter them all the time in real life and basically just go along with them?  It def didn't make any logical sense lol.

• Like 1

Loved this season. May have teared up when Sam and Joel made up. Always awkward when you become the one sitting in the back seat. At least Brad was a gentleman and offered Sam the front! 

Glad Sam didn't have sex with her neighbor. He's hot, but drunken neighbor sex with a guy wearing an ankle monitor is rarely a good idea!  

• Like 3
  • LOL 5
On 6/2/2023 at 6:32 PM, TVbitch said:

Glad Sam didn't have sex with her neighbor. He's hot, but drunken neighbor sex with a guy wearing an ankle monitor is rarely a good idea!  

Not that I'd know this personally, but yes:  Never have hot drunken neighbor sex with someone wearing an ankle monitor.  (Even if your neighbor is wearing that ankle monitor for something as stupid as growing pot in their basement.)

• Like 5
On 5/29/2023 at 11:23 AM, retired watcher said:

I know this is nitpicking but IRL Tricia would be shipping the pillow covers without pillows inside. Also, pillows wouldn't need packing peanuts because they aren't fragile.

On 5/29/2023 at 4:19 PM, Beezella said:

On 5/31/2023 at 4:05 PM, endure said:

I would interpret as one of those typical scratch your head in wonder moments thrown in there because we all encounter them all the time in real life and basically just go along with them?  It def didn't make any logical sense lol.

I suppose she could offer the covers with pillows for an extra charge, but the peanuts are unnecessary and will leave crumbs on the pillows.  Instead, they would probably be in plastic bags inside smaller boxes if stuffed, and inside padded plastic mailers if unstuffed.

On 6/2/2023 at 6:32 PM, TVbitch said:

At least Brad was a gentleman and offered Sam the front! 

He seems like he will be very understanding concerning the closeness of Joel and Sam's relationship.  If he didn't feel threatened by Gloria . . . .

• Like 3
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, bad things are bad said:

I hope this show will be back. It is wonderful 

It has been renewed for a third season. Also, the actor who played Sam's father died as they were just about to film and they had to rewrite the series last minute. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

I really really like this show.  I only started watching it a few weeks ago, but hey, the episodes are short and there's not a lot of them.  So it didn't take long to watch 2 seasons.

I have to say, I enjoyed Season 1 more than Season 2.  I don't know what it was, the tone was a little different, maybe.  I felt the absence of Sam's dad.  I think they handled it well, and glad they just didn't kill off the character between seasons.  But I wish they did more with mom.  It was just weird that she's having so many problems, including having to go to a far away hospital, and the dad wasn't there.  It doesn't make sense to me that the dad would be absent during all this, especially since she banned both daughters from visits.  Sam and Tricia  didn't need to have a perfect relationship with mom, but a better (although still tense) relationship would have made the dad's absence make more sense to me.

I did like Tricia's redemption arc, if you want to call it that.  From being "love the sinner, hate the sin" (which is such BS, IMHO) in the first episode, to fully embracing everyone by the end of Season 2.  That was really well done.  And her full lean-in to the c*** pillows was fabulous!  It would have been nice to see Charity get exposed for the lying c*** that she is.

Was I the only one who thought the new fridge was going to have a camera on it, catching her song & dance in the kitchen? 

I'm glad Joel and Sam made up by the end, but we knew they would. 

Looking forward to Season 3.  I suppose they're going to have to kill off the dad, which will be sad.  I'm wondering if the mom will come back or not.  I'm hoping they do a time jump of a year or so (which will probably match real world timing) so everyone's past initial mourning and it's life as normal.  Or as normal as things get around there.

Final note...  I do wish shows would stop showing text messages that we're supposed to be able to read on screen.  I have an average size TV, in an average size living room, and average eyesight, and I can never read those things!  I have to rewind, pause, and walk up to the tv to read them.  If they want to have dialog via text, put it in big print in bubbles or down where CC is.  grrrr.  aargh. 

• Like 5
  • Love 1

Love the "pillow" talk! The whole thing seems very Tricia who is in way over her head.

Bridget Everett is so very good in this role and I will repeat that it is a travesty she wasn't nominated for an Emmy for Season 1. I hope they rectify that in Season 2. Even though I thought Sam overreacted to the Joel "betrayal", I totally understood where it came from especially with the sister reveal and all that's going on with her family. This show is just so realistic on several levels and I love it.

Also, please more hot neighbor in Season 3.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

I loved season one so much I was a little scared my tender, prickly heart couldn’t handle another season and I waited until now to watch it. It is such a gentle, intimate show - I can’t think of anything else like it. 

The feelings are so real and so raw, there are times where I almost have to look away. I have a good amount of Sam in me, maybe that’s why. I simply adore it and am so glad we’re getting more time with everyone in season 3. 

(And for the record, I fully support banging hot neighbors with ankle monitors and CHORTLED when Sam said that’s why she shaved her legs.)

Edited by hendersonrocks
  • Like 2
  • Love 5

I really enjoyed this season and overall, I thought it was just lovely. The show is so gentle, and such a slice of life. These people all feel so real and believable -- flawed in real ways, lovable in real ways, etc.

It was so satisfying to see Tricia really opening up and becoming so much warmer and more accepting. I teared up when she told the mean wedding-store lady how nice Fred was and how he was a good person who deserved a nice wedding for himself and his bride -- it was just such a huge step forward from the bigoted person Tricia was last season. And I laughed out loud when she started romancing her new fridge like Sam had.

Speaking of which, sometimes the show is a little bit too raunchy for me. I think it's just my own issues, because I have these very country relatives back in the Jacksonville area, and let's just say that for some of them, peeing on the side of the road would be high humor, whereas I was the uptight little "Frasier" child (dying to leave the South as fast as possible)  going, "IS THERE NO PRIVATE BATHROOM ANYWHERE IN THESE WOODS?!" etc. I felt uncomfortable in the same way with some of the Bachelor Bus stuff, but in a good-natured way.

But I was so happy for Joel, finding love with sweet quiet Brad. I love their romance so much, everything about it just felt so quiet and real and kind. Which made Sam's anger at it all the more out of balance and sad to me, although I understood it.

I was just glad Sam came around -- I definitely care about her and understood why she was hurt, but at the same time, Joel simply did not deserve her anger, and I was glad she finally recognized that.

I thought the ending was a lot of fun, with the joy of the wedding, and it was sweet to see Sam give Joel another song as a gift. It was sweet to see everyone have so much fun with "Gloria" (definitely an all-time great song).

(As a VERY minor nitpick -- I did feel like the song was awkwardly blocked, and also worried about Bridget a bit -- she is very out of breath through the entire song, and it just seemed due to the unnecessarily busy blocking.)

Last but not least, I just love how confident Sam is. Like, as a big woman with moments of cuteness, I still would never hit on Hot Ankle-Bracelet Neighbor Guy. But Sam is so confident! And I absolutely love that about her.

So glad the show will be back. There is nothing else on TV like it.

On 5/28/2023 at 9:19 PM, sistermagpie said:

After Succession and Barry, this was quite a palate cleanser. People valuing relationships and working at them. 

Oh, God, you're not kidding. This show is the perfect antidote (as brilliant as both of those shows are/were).

On 5/28/2023 at 10:56 PM, oldCJ said:

Oh, God, I 100% agree. I was so distracted. It just felt like someone hastily read the script and never stopped to think about the logistics.

I've bought many pillow covers. They are folded up and packed most of the time in easy, cheap to send, padded mailers. No huge boxes or peanuts required!

On 5/29/2023 at 1:19 PM, Beezella said:

I was so, so worried for Fred! And Fred is one of those sweet, kind characters who I just love so much and never want anything bad to happen to. Like Joel. I was a nervous wreck fearing he'd get stood up -- so glad he didn't!

On 5/29/2023 at 6:41 PM, peeayebee said:

I kept saying to myself, 'Please don't let Fred get hurt.' Whew! I was so relieved to see Susan appear. And, yes, Tricia did a really good job. The whole wedding was beautiful and fun. I wanted to be there, too.

I think I liked Sam's rendition of Gloria better in the car with Joel than at the wedding. 

Me too on all counts! I would have loved to be at the wedding too. It was so sweet and joyous and fun and kind. 

On 6/2/2023 at 3:32 PM, TVbitch said:

Loved this season. May have teared up when Sam and Joel made up. Always awkward when you become the one sitting in the back seat. At least Brad was a gentleman and offered Sam the front! 

Brad was such a hidden gem this season, and he really honestly surprised me. I thought at first he would be sort of "Kooky" and insert himself between Joel and Sam, but he was just so quiet and loving -- it was Sam who overreacted on that front, completely.

I was so very glad when Joel and Sam made up. And I loved how understanding Brad was... just, I love him and Joel together so much already.

On 7/19/2023 at 9:24 AM, chaifan said:

I have to say, I enjoyed Season 1 more than Season 2.  I don't know what it was, the tone was a little different, maybe.  I felt the absence of Sam's dad.  I think they handled it well, and glad they just didn't kill off the character between seasons.  But I wish they did more with mom.  It was just weird that she's having so many problems, including having to go to a far away hospital, and the dad wasn't there.  It doesn't make sense to me that the dad would be absent during all this, especially since she banned both daughters from visits.  Sam and Tricia  didn't need to have a perfect relationship with mom, but a better (although still tense) relationship would have made the dad's absence make more sense to me.

Final note...  I do wish shows would stop showing text messages that we're supposed to be able to read on screen.  I have an average size TV, in an average size living room, and average eyesight, and I can never read those things!  I have to rewind, pause, and walk up to the tv to read them.  If they want to have dialog via text, put it in big print in bubbles or down where CC is.  grrrr.  aargh. 

I agree that I loved Season 1 a little (LITTLE) bit more, but I am personally glad for as little time with Sam's mother as possible. She's the only character in the show I find mean and rude and irredeemable. She's not even a villain, just an awful person. She's one of those people who isn't "a mean drunk," she's just mean all the time, 24/7. I hate her and do not get their father's love for her at all. Has she ever been remotely nice, once?

And I agree -- loved Tricia's redemption and softening. I love how Tricia's marriage falling apart has allowed her to reconnect with Sam, and to be kinder and more accepting.

And OMG, YES! on the damn text messages! And they never show them long enough! So by the time you press "PAUSE," the text is gone. So you have to rewind. And then try to pause just when the message appears. Or rewind again! Etc.!

Aghghghgh.

This message brought to you by Get Out of My Yard and Yes, I am Older Than Dirt.

On 8/10/2023 at 3:20 PM, hendersonrocks said:

I loved season one so much I was a little scared my tender, prickly heart couldn’t handle another season and I waited until now to watch it. It is such a gentle, intimate show - I can’t think of anything else like it. 

The feelings are so real and so raw, there are times where I almost have to look away. I have a good amount of Sam in me, maybe that’s why. I simply adore it and am so glad we’re getting more time with everyone in season 3. 

(And for the record, I fully support banging hot neighbors with ankle monitors and CHORTLED when Sam said that’s why she shaved her legs.)

I agree with everything you said here. The show has this essential core of realness and sweetness that always moves me. And it isn't just emotion -- it's like it hits me in this sneaky way I don't expect, so that my emotions are even bigger in reaction, because it feels like I know these people. I love them all as if they are real, and wish them well in the same way.

I was so tickled at the reappearance of Hot Neighbor! Even though I was cringing when Sam started throwing her shoes at his house (but goddamn, I love that woman's confidence). Still, there's always next season!

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I loved this, and I can't believe how quickly I binge-watched the series.

Tricia going from "love the sinner, hate the sin" in the beginning of season one, to happily planning a queer couple's wedding and creating a rainbow altar, was a great touch.

It would be a nice depiction of how personally knowing LGBT people generally makes people more accepting of their rights. But I find it a little odd, considering that Tricia had a lesbian sister, who had a partner.

You'd think that would have been enough for Tricia to come around - but apparently it wasn't.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
12 hours ago, Blakeston said:

You'd think that would have been enough for Tricia to come around - but apparently it wasn't.

Probably had something to do with both where Tricia was at the time (married etc.) and her relationship with Holly. She may have liked having a sense of superiority over Holly, for instance, and enjoyed her place as an insider in their small town.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
On 8/22/2023 at 2:04 PM, paramitch said:

I agree that I loved Season 1 a little (LITTLE) bit more, but I am personally glad for as little time with Sam's mother as possible. She's the only character in the show I find mean and rude and irredeemable. She's not even a villain, just an awful person. She's one of those people who isn't "a mean drunk," she's just mean all the time, 24/7. I hate her and do not get their father's love for her at all. Has she ever been remotely nice, once?

I just finally saw the 2nd season finale and I challenge whether Sam and Tricia’s mom was always awful, or if there’s a possible missed diagnosis of severe mental illness or dementia that went on unnoticed. It would certainly explain her alcoholism, the lack of self care, and her unpleasant mood swings. It really wouldn’t surprise me if that is the story next season, which would be sad yet realistic.

One concerning theme I’ve noticed over the last two seasons is that there’s a lot of excessive drinking with the characters, especially with Sam. It seems way above average than social drinking. 

That said, I enjoyed the wedding finale. It’s great to see a show that is brutally honest yet refreshing when characters actually grow and try to mend their relationships. It feels more realistic.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, Not4Me said:

I just finally saw the 2nd season finale and I challenge whether Sam and Tricia’s mom was always awful, or if there’s a possible missed diagnosis of severe mental illness or dementia that went on unnoticed.

Early on I assumed she had dementia, so I was surprised when nothing else came of that. I still expect that we'll see that eventually diagnosed.

• Like 3