Type keyword(s) to search

Utopia (US) Live Feed Discussion

Sounds like Josh needs to call the cops, if this isn't all producer-driven bullshit.  Don't let the PAs tell you that you signed away your right to legal recourse, Josh, just dial 911.  See how fast Mr. de Mol can find his checkbook.

They made it clear from the start of this whole ridiculous soap opera that was supposed to be a social experiment that, even though the Utopians were supposed to "create their own society," they had to abide by local laws. It would be completely within Josh's right to call the Santa Clarita PD and file charges against Aaron and to also ask for a restraining order. The petition for the restraining order would have to be signed off on by a judge and likely need to be heard in court, but given that this is all on tape that would help Josh's cause. Production, of course, will never allow Josh to call the Police.

I have seen people kicked off of reality shows for less. On Top Chef Season 2, one of the contestants physically tried to hold another contestant down so they could shave his head. They never shaved his head and claimed it was all a "prank" but moments after that incident the Top Chef head judge came in and told the person who instigated everything and physically attacked the other contestant that he had to leave the show. They had a zero tolerance policy for that kind of thing. This show needs to have the same. Aaron is a problem and he is going to continue to escalate his bullying. Production needs to give him the boot ASAP or there could be potential for legal consequences.

Edited by Rapunzel
  • Love 5
Production, of course, will never allow Josh to call the Police.

I'd love to see them try to stop him.  Contract or no, such an action strikes me (a non-lawyer) as false imprisonment, which could land the producers in very hot water.  Even delaying him would be bad, but preventing him could land somebody in the pokey.

It would be completely within Josh's right to call the Santa Clarita PD and file charges against Aaron and to also ask for a restraining order.

Man laid hands on him.  Far as I know, that's assault.  It was witnessed, and it's on tape somewhere.  This case practically prosecutes itself.  

Besides, I'd love to hear de Mol explain to a judge how these folks were all playing characters they agreed to play, which would totally implicate himself and his production team.  Don't think they'd let that shiz slide, not even in California (a very company town).  

Edited by henripootel
  • Love 6

I'd love to see Josh walk, if only because he still seems to do the most work. I firmly believe from these threads he might be the only decent person there. Well, I've still yet to read about Ernesto doing anything venal, unless I missed it, and Hex seems mostly a good person but for her own drinking issues and unfortunate allegisnce to the CKC. But yeah, I've been surprisingly Team Josh all the way since day 3 or so, thanks to this forum.

And honestly, if this were a better show with a better cast, having them figure our how to implement even a basic fair system of justice is exactly the kind of interesting human experiment I originally thought I was going to watch them tackle. Even watching them do it poorly, or weirdly, if done in earnest would be interesting, and to me would be fascinating to discuss!

But since it'll just be more sickening injustice from the unwashed adolescents of the CKC, who cares? I'm sure they signed away a lot of rights, but (and I'm no more a trained lawyer than Mike is) you can't sign away basic rights of protection by the law. I believe in thr first few seasons, Big Brother famously ousted a house member immediately for making a single threat (although that might have involved a knife?)

The same people are now running this show, and have allowed Aaron to make repeated and serious sounding threats, to physical assault about numerous people, and to generally menace everyone for weeks. I could even forgive the producers for a "Let them work this out themselves/experimental purity" stance... if it wasn't exceedingly well documented that they've intervened countless times in the past in innumerable areas, including in ways that suggest they are specifically protecting Aaron for some reason.

Edited by hincandenza
  • Love 4

I wonder if this is more "amazing" advice from Aaron's cop uncle that unlike with a woman who has to lay hands on you first before you can slap the shit out of her, with a dude they only have to be verbally aggressive.

• Love 2

Forgot about the "uncle". Aaron's managed to disparage the military and misrepresent law enforcement all while being a horrid example of the human race. Quite the multi-tasker.

I miss when the Show was about Bella's aliens and her kooky gardening.

• Love 5

t would be completely within Josh's right to call the Santa Clarita PD and file charges against Aaron [snip] Production, of course, will never allow Josh to call the Police.

Anybody can send a copy of the video showing the assault to the Santa Clarita PD.
  • Love 1

Yeah, I saw the whole Josh/Aaron thing happen, and as much of the conversation with Mike as I could stomach. (I quit after it became clear that his answer was "we'll write it down, if he's found guilty, and then everyone will be aware.")

I was also watching because I was expecting production to call Aaron in for, if not an actual eviction, then a come-to-Jesus meeting, but none was forthcoming. I don't know how they can let that go.

• Love 1

But, big brother the mothership to this show, also had an assault when evil dick whacked some woman on the head and then completely isolated her, verbally abused her and made her a pariah.  All allowed by production.  Jackass dick might have won that season, he has certainIy been on the show again I understand and has won.  I never watched after that.

Sooooo, in the footsteps of the mothership, OBB (Outdoor Big Brother) continues on it's merry way.  Production knows exactly  how far they can go - hell they wrote and probably vetted the script!

Apparently Aaron is the evil dick of this show and has been promised the same glorious reality career and wins and money and fame.

Pardon me, I need a shower now.

• Love 4

I've watched almost every single episode of Real World since it began. It's says a lot when even the most revolting seasons seem to have higher consequences and production morals than this show has had, since it's beginning. What a shame. I was duped into thinking this show might earn it's own saved spot on my DVR. (I have the RW first season New York and San Fran saved.) Boy, was I wrong.

• Love 1

Anybody here remember the old TV sitcom Mad About You?  If you do, then think about Nat, the dog walker the Buchman's hired to walk Murray.  Doesn't Cal sound just like Nat?  I can listen to him talk and see Nat's face in my mind.  

Anybody here remember the old TV sitcom Mad About You?  If you do, then think about Nat, the dog walker the Buchman's hired to walk Murray.  Doesn't Cal sound just like Nat?  I can listen to him talk and see Nat's face in my mind.  

That would be Hank Azaria.  He's been in a lot of tv shows and movies, and has done voices for The Simpsons and Family Guy

• Love 1

I've watched almost every single episode of Real World since it began. It's says a lot when even the most revolting seasons seem to have higher consequences and production morals than this show has had, since it's beginning. What a shame. I was duped into thinking this show might earn it's own saved spot on my DVR. (I have the RW first season New York and San Fran saved.) Boy, was I wrong.

How's that fine Puck fellow doing?   ;)

spoiler is about why I stopped watching  road rules.  (about the time I stopped watching RW)

I stopped watching RW and road rules when RR challenge (one person kicked off)   was to eat a full plate of food at some college or something like that.  the food was made of the less popular bull parts.   but the plate was so mounded over with food that it was clear that it would not fit in a typical stomach. they all tried and of course were puking it up and then trying to eat more off the plate. after seeing how it was going, the local college reps brought out plastic water pitchers for them to throw up into. I guess so it would not get on the grass.

at one point they showed a closeup of the hand of one the cast members, holding a fork. the hand was shaking. hard to forget that.

and I decided MTV was abusing those young folks.

Edited by clod
  • Love 3

I have seen people kicked off of reality shows for less. On Top Chef Season 2 [ . . . .]They had a zero tolerance policy for that kind of thing. This show needs to have the same. Aaron is a problem and he is going to continue to escalate his bullying. Production needs to give him the boot ASAP or there could be potential for legal consequences.

Top Chef?!?  Even Tyra Banks' ANTM--which is basically cameras strapped to the backs of a naked mole rat colony--kicked someone off for face-butting another participant.

• Love 4

Anybody can send a copy of the video showing the assault to the Santa Clarita PD.

Yes, but Josh would still need to file an official complaint. Without that, it could be played off as 'part of the script' or that Josh really didn't feel too threatened by Aaron's actions. I am an attorney but I'm not a prosecutor nor do I practice criminal law, but I do believe that Josh has standing to make an official complaint about Aaron getting physical with him. The only thing I wonder about is that perhaps the contracts they all had to sign include something along the lines of allowing Production to resolve any dispute - kind of like mediation. However, they did mention from the beginning of the show that they did have to abide by local laws, so something that could be considered criminal in nature should still be handled in accordance with California law but Josh would still need to file a complaint to kick off some kind of investigation.

Edited by Rapunzel
  • Love 1

Yes, but Josh would still need to file an official complaint. Without that, it could be played off as 'part of the script' or that Josh really didn't feel too threatened by Aaron's actions. I am an attorney but I'm not a prosecutor nor do I practice criminal law, but I do believe that Josh has standing to make an official complaint about Aaron getting physical with him. The only thing I wonder about is that perhaps the contracts they all had to sign include something along the lines of allowing Production to resolve any dispute - kind of like mediation. However, they did mention from the beginning of the show that they did have to abide by local laws, so something that could be considered criminal in nature should still be handled in accordance with California law but Josh would still need to file a complaint to kick off some kind of investigation.

Considering the amount of animal abuse/neglect, stealing, and threatening (verbal and physical) that have already occurred and the glaring lack of consequences I think the idea of "abiding by local laws" has pretty much left town.

• Love 4
The only thing I wonder about is that perhaps the contracts they all had to sign include something along the lines of allowing Production to resolve any dispute - kind of like mediation.

I know this isn't quite your wheelhouse, Rap, but is it even possible to sign away your rights to legal redress in a criminal matter?  Civil, sure, but I'da thought it was impossible to do this.  Even if you signed something that specifically said 'If I get assaulted, I will not call the fuzz', I'da thought such an agreement would never be held up in court.

Of course, my understanding from my lawyer friends is that plenty of contracts contain language and prohibitions that're designed to impress the signatory and absolutely nobody else, so it could be that Josh thinks he's signed away these rights when he really can't.  

Gotta say that, at the moment, I'm wondering if all of this wasn't staged nonsense anyway.  Anybody got a clip of this loaded up somewhere?

Edited by henripootel
  • Love 2

I know this isn't quite your wheelhouse, Rap, but is it even possible to sign away your rights to legal redress in a criminal matter?  Civil, sure, but I'da thought it was impossible to do this.  Even if you signed something that specifically said 'If I get assaulted, I will not call the fuzz', I'da thought such an agreement would never be held up in court.

You can't especially since its the state not the person who is bringing a criminal case.  And I highly doubt one can sign away the right to press criminal charges.  

• Love 2

Do these dopes know their 15 min of fame has been reduced to 7.5 min now that this show only airs once a week?

Shame on FOX and the powers that be for this disaster.  It had potential but instead of a real "experiment", they just let the dregs of society rule the roost. I'm not saying any reality tv needs to be educational, but this show had an opportunity to show younger generations some pretty necessary life skills:  how to resolve disputes rationally, use critical thinking to map out how decisions made today can affect individuals and the group tomorrow, learn to work in teams, use individual strengths to assist others, be responsible for the care of living things, recognize one's own opinion is not more valuable or more "right" than another, and so on.  We ended up with more "proof" to the under 20 crowd that the more heinous, outrageous, anti-social, over sexed & under handed the behavior, the more "fame whoredom" to be earned. 

I sincerely hope Aaron, Kristin, Mike, Dede,Taylor, Chris & Bri end up walking the streets of L.A, panhandling & mumbling how famous they were.  Lord knows they don't have any real work ethic or basic math skills to get past a 1st interview for a job.  Good luck to Josh, Hex, Nikki, Ernesto, Amanda, Rob and Bella.  I hope they can wash the Utopia stink off as soon as they get their walking papers.

• Love 3
Do these dopes know their 15 min of fame has been reduced to 7.5 min now that this show only airs once a week?

NO, I think they believe they are being watched by millions of viewers interested in their group and invested in their success. And people voting for Katie or Cal?   yeah, that's like 10 years ago when everyone was all abuzz about American Idol - Ruben or Clay?  

Except - nobody cares.  I have not heard one peep about this show from friends, family, co-workers.  I know one other person who heard of the show, but forgot to watch it, and is hooked on Survivor and Amazing Race instead. 

These people seem delusional to me - they want us to SPEND MONEY sending them gifts, buying their photos and marker drawings, and little bits of wire with beads on them. 

The fact that Mike is selling photos of himself  speaks to that.  He thinks he's some sort of heartthrob, with women tuning in swooning and wishing they were in Utopia.  

If photos and artwork do sell, I will suspect production has a hand in it.  

Think of how far they've moved from the original premise -  setting up a self-sufficient, separate society, with limited resources, having to make their own government, assign tasks, and figure out how to sustain their existence apart from the rest of the world.   

Instead - we have - 

Ordering tequila and candy online, having wishlists on Amazon, asking people to BUY photos of them -  it's like a bunch of teenagers thinking they're adults because they have their own apartment, but daddy pays the rent and mommy does the laundry.

• Love 7

The fact that Mike is selling photos of himself  speaks to that.  He thinks he's some sort of heartthrob, with women tuning in swooning and wishing they were in Utopia.

Well, he did have that crazy woman visit and make out with him, so that's not going to do anything to disabuse him of that delusion.

I mentioned the show to a friend, and he said he watched it once, and did not find it interesting.   that's the only person I know who has seen it.

Think of how far they've moved from the original premise -  setting up a self-sufficient, separate society, with limited resources, having to make their own government, assign tasks, and figure out how to sustain their existence apart from the rest of the world. 

I agree with the limited resources premise.

wrt being apart from the rest of the world,  there was no way to grow enough food (in a hurry, too!) on five acres of land in a dry climate.    so they *had* to interact with the outside world.

Edited by clod
  • Love 1

Josh should take all of his tools and bury them deep in the middle of the night when everyone is sleeping. Then refuse to work at all since it's not like anyone else really works. I can't even watch the feeds anymore as this has become painful. Ugh! Of course he should only bury his tools after he's sabotaged the stove, sink, and electricity.

• Love 4

Of course, my understanding from my lawyer friends is that plenty of contracts contain language and prohibitions that're designed to impress the signatory and absolutely nobody else, so it could be that Josh thinks he's signed away these rights when he really can't.  

Gotta say that, at the moment, I'm wondering if all of this wasn't staged nonsense anyway.  Anybody got a clip of this loaded up somewhere?

Correct - you can't sign away your right to file criminal charges against someone. I was trying to explain that in the last part of my post when I mentioned that they had to abide by local laws. I hadn't had my coffee yet so maybe didn't make it quite clear enough. :-)

Even if there was something in his contract that alluded to having to allow Production to resolve any issues, it would likely not be enforceable when it comes to criminal matters. The purpose/object of any contract must be legal in order for it to be considered valid and enforceable.

You can't especially since its the state not the person who is bringing a criminal case.  And I highly doubt one can sign away the right to press criminal charges.

While the state would technically bring the charges and decide which charges were warranted, they still need a complaint to act on in order to do so, especially as this is a "reality show" and no one knows what's real and what is staged/scripted.

Edited by Rapunzel

Josh should take all of his tools and bury them deep in the middle of the night when everyone is sleeping.

Only problem is cameras everywhere filming 24/7.  But even if they had the tools, I doubt very much that the rest of them would be able to make any significant use of them.  I'm pretty sure the infrastructure is supposed to meet code and will be inspected like the plumbing and electricity was.  A couple of these guys would probably qualify as competent, but not to the same level as a general contractor (which I believe Josh is).

Now if Josh buried the "tools" that would be something!

• Love 2

I mentioned the show to a friend, and he said he watched it once, and did not find it interesting.   that's the only person I know who has seen it.

I agree with the limited resources premise.

wrt being apart from the rest of the world,  there was no way to grow enough food (in a hurry, too!) on five acres of land in a dry climate.    so they *had* to interact with the outside world.

Sure, but they could have had Dharma-Initiative-style supply drops that minimized interaction and emphasized whole ingredients and cooking from scratch.

Internet access? Businesses that market to people trying to get on TV and require half the customers to be production plants -- nonsense.

• Love 4
See this tweet from Kroll when he was asked when we were getting the big surprise he's been hinting at that will delight feed watchers?

Jon Kroll ‏@hippykid
@CAStephenss after the wedding. #GameofThrones #RedWedding
  • Love 2

Last night Chris, Bri and Kristen were having a late night gabfest.  They were whispering because everyone else was asleep so I couldn't hear much of what they were saying but they were trashing Nikki.  I heard Bri say, "Nikki has a low, low IQ."  She actually said that with a straight face.  

Apparently the niceness that was a result of fear of being voted off is now all gone.  Bri has announced that she will no longer be going to the barn because she will be doing work on the internet.  She also said she considers herself more of an "intellect" than a laborer.   Bella is once again picking arguments with the others while playing the "poor pitiful me" card.  Cue the violins.  

• Love 2

Miscellaneous gleaned from the feeds yesterday.

Asshole Rob strikes again (with some assist from Taylor).  At AM barn care, Amanda expresses she wants to feed baby Cash.  Rob said no, it would be too dangerous, but she could milk later.  What a crock.  Feeding Cash is more risky to Amanda's pregnancy than milking an adult cow with a painful udder.  A cow that famously likes to kick her milkers.  Rob goes on to tell Taylor that Amanda is only trying to help because of being voted least helpful.   Rob and Taylor complain that Amanda should be doing their laundry for free, not a nominal fee. 

After Bella had a problem with Betsy, Cal took charge.  He said the cows should be walked for a half hour each day.  It will increase the bond, help to make them more agreeable, and aid in their digestion.  Since Tuesday is a day of the week with "y" in it, Bella cried.  Cal tells her he cried as well when he realized he'd potentially be there for a year.

Meeting:

1. Bri asked for a milking machine, and mentioned that a chicken went missing two days ago.
  2. Amanda is responsible for assigning chores, and mentioned that no chores were done last week..
  3. Chris is very enthusiastically planning Rob's bachelor party.  He wants a stripper and they have a budget of a hundred dollars.
  4. Amanda wants to start making ribbons,  will cover her own starting costs, and contribute all earnings to the group.  Cal expresses concern that Amanda is expected to use her personal food budget while they're spending $100 on a party.  Apparently nobody cared, and Amanda said she would be fine.
  5. Dedeker is making soap and needs to order a scale.

Ernesto told the group he has received two complaints(Aaron threatening Josh, and Aaron throwing away produce), and will be gathering evidence.  Kristen stated a person should have warning before a potential trial.  Mike said he doesn't like repercussions.  Trial set for Thursday.

Nikki accepts Cal's offer to have a relationship without sex, in part to get Bella off his back.

Bella was very self-pitying.  Dedeker has five lovers and Bella has none.  Rob/Aaron/Amanda cheer her up.

Dedeker got a letter from mom that may be subliminally pointing out the good people.  Mom praises Josh, Bella, Nikki, Hex, and Rob.  Mom says it's nice that Mike keeps her warm at night (Good Lord, tell me the woman doesn't really think that's what they're doing).

More to come....

• Love 2
Jon Kroll ‏@hippykid

I don't understand.  Is he threatening some kind of massacre?  It seems extreme, even for this group.  But it probably would help the ratings.

• Love 8

Having never watched Game of Thrones, I'm in the dark.  

They very suddenly killed off a good chunk of the cast all at once at a wedding.

Could production have finally figured out they need to clear out some of the crazies and replace them? Seems a little late for that to have any hope of turning this into a viable show. It already belly flopped. 

• Love 5

Jon Kroll ‏@hippykid

I think that this Kroll guy must be in the top 100 list biggest assholes on the planet. And there are a lot of huge assholes out there.

• Love 5

They very suddenly killed off a good chunk of the cast all at once at a wedding.

Could production have finally figured out they need to clear out some of the crazies and replace them? Seems a little late for that to have any hope of turning this into a viable show. It already belly flopped. 

There's speculation at Jokers that Cal has been sent in to turn everything around.  He's calm, likeable, and experienced.  Dedicated feed watchers also swear that Aaron, Kristen, Mike have been called in to production and seriously straightened out.  I have no idea if it's true, but they definitely have cleaned up a lot of their attitude, and have appeared subdued at times.

• Love 2

Could production have finally figured out they need to clear out some of the crazies and replace them?

I wouldn't trust them to do anything right. I think it's just as likely that they decided there aren't enough crazies, and they need to get rid of the "boring" more sane people.

• Love 7

Yesterday miscellaneous continued.

I'm not recapping the "talk show" because it's stupid and it involves Mike.

Josh and Nikki talked about Aaron.  They talk about making a different kitchen team.  Josh said he went to production to c/o Aaron.

Aaron said it's harder in Utopia than it was in Afghanistan.

Per usual, Chris, Bri, Bella, and Kristen complain about Nikki.  Said she spends too much time on the computer, answers emails slowly, and didn't order Bella's organic food.

• Love 4

Here are my wedding predictions:

1)  departed Utes return.  maybe even one that could perform the ceremony.  {remember Rob getting emotional when Jon left?}

2)  more than ten people come in for the wedding (friends or family or paying guests) - {with the hassle of planning a wedding, might as well let more people in}

wouldn't it be neat if production surprised the other Utes with a special guest of their own? ......to make the day more special.

Yes, but Josh would still need to file an official complaint.

It very much depends on local law. Michigan for example, simply needs to be made aware of violence between two parties, and the state immediately becomes the complainant in case one party wishes to withdraw allegations. It's particularly prevalent in domestic violence cases, and as such, they put a stop to it by enacting this law. More than a few states operate this way to my understanding, and I think CA is one of them. Could be wrong though! :-)

It's particularly prevalent in domestic violence cases.....

I am not getting into the "call the police" discussion,.................  but Josh and Aaron are living together.   :)

• Love 1

I am going to guess that Red is coming back after the wedding.

Ha, it'd be like them to get us excited for multiple eliminations. But of course, bring Red back. Eh, boring. 

I think part of why I gave this show up was because there are no weekly eliminations, so everything gets drawn out and stale. At least at the beginning people were leaving/getting replaced pretty regularly. Also when there are no consequences, the fun of seeing reality assholes get served is out. I mean, I get them wanting to make a show full of crazies, but where's the fun part of watching them get booted? 

I am fine without evictions, I think it would be more interesting to simply add people and see how they deal with new blood and a larger size. The problem with this show is that they are not forming their own society, they are not cut off from the rest of the world, and 1/3 of the people they cast suck ass.

People who never should have been cast: Bri, Aaron, Kristen, Dave

People who are questionable but could have been interesting in the right environment: Red, Bella, Chris, Rob, Mike, Jon

People who seem to be ok but need others who don't suck to help motivate them: Hex, Taylor, Nikki

People who are decent 99% of the time: Josh, Amanda, Ernesto

I have no clue about Cal right now, I am thinking he is in the decent category.

It would have been far more interesting if these folks had showed up to a fully functioning garden for the given season, animals with enough food for a few months, a few needed structures, some common resources and tools, and then told to go for it, we'll see you in a year. You toss in your Red's and Bella's because they do add some type of drama but surrounded by the right folks, the eccentric free spirit can very easily be channeled into someone who is productive with a different point of view. You give them the staples needed to get on their feet and then see where things go. Let them plant the garden for the next season and harvest the hay for the cows. I guess I am thinking of the PBS House series that were really well done and could be even more interesting with a bigger budget and perhaps less of a theme. Remove the hamstrung live like the first colonists did and let them develop their own way but with the same initial access to food and structures.

• Love 4

I feel so out of the loop being unable to watch the feeds like I used to.  Last thing, was something about a Aaron/Josh trial?

I was looking on the TV description of the show tomorrow night.  It said

the Theme of Tonight's show is what if you could go back and re-do Utopia all over again.

I'm hoping for the red wedding. (Too many bullies, etc, there that I am really getting tired of). They need to be dealt with.

• Love 2