Type keyword(s) to search

Utopia (US) Live Feed Discussion

I feel like summer camp is ending!  I'm going to miss all of you snarkers! Thanks for all the great recaps and for suffering through the tedious hours of feeds so others here didn't have to.  Your sacrifice will be remembered. I only wish we could have seen the reactions of these idiots when they found out they were not famous or even likeable to the viewing audience. 

I wonder if ShadyChef and Kristin will team up to offer baking and business classes at their local community colleges?

If Mike runs for any office anywhere, please stay vigilant posters!  Don't let (another) embezzling, dishonest doofus enter politics!

Maybe Hex, with her vast knowledge of hunting, can do some catalog modeling for Bass Pro Shop or Cabelas?

I have a feeling Bella may end up wandering the streets talking to herself about microwaves and Tide.

Sigh...bye everyone.  I hope to see you around other forums!

• Love 6

Well now what will I do with all my hours of boredom throughout the day? Can't say I didn't see it coming, but it was set up for failure (as many have noted). Seems like everyone saw it coming except for Kroll. Was kind of at least interested in seeing how all of the drastic changes to format and cast were going to play out, but I guess the world will never know. I've probably invested far too much of my time and sanity to this debacle maybe it's for the best.

Anyways, thank you all for your amazing recaps, read-worthy snarky commentary, and letting me vent my frustrations. It was fun while it lasted!

• Love 6

So FOX can't even be bothered to give the million and a half people who stuck through it to the end some closure. We don't get to see a final episode where the pioneers are told, Bella and Hex probably bawling and then a final shot of them walking out the gate?! Is FOX in that much of a hurry to get masterchef repeats on the air. It's not fair they wouldn't grant a finale!

• Love 5

Who wants to bet that Dede tried to clean out the safe when she heard the news?

And don't forget Aaron, I bet he tries to leave with the $75 honey he ordered and all the leftover champagne and beer too?

Bella will take her painting supplies.  Think Amanda got to a phone and arranged for a storage unit and sent the address to the producers so they can forward her gifts?

• Love 2

I'm glad the show got cancelled, here's why.

The premise of the show was about pioneers, living off the land, creating a new society with rules, working together to decide how to divide up the tasks and roles. How will they survive? Would leaders emerge, and would there be a faction not following the rules? How would consequences be decided and enforced? Would they be able to use the available resources to plan for winter?

Instead we got lazy people taking advantage of others, using the internet to buy something for $4 and sell it for $40. Begging for viewers to send gifts. Having no clue about growing food or how to provide meals for the group. Little sense of how to set priorities and devote time to basic survival.

they focused on buying booze and getting drunk, cuddling and screwing, arguing and giving in to bullies, making fun of each other.

They had parties and celebrations, costumes, bought decorations. They seemed to have unlimited resources to buy whatever any of them wanted. Living off the land doesn't include tequila and pizza delivery. They weren't "pioneers". They were a bunch of adults at an extended summer camp.

• Love 8

Well now what will I do with all my hours of boredom throughout the day?

Perhaps there is an opening to drive a bus for the local junior high or work in the cafeteria will provide the needed fix?  An insult to all junior high schoolers I know, but that is the closest I could come up with.  As I recall, life was very D-R-A-M-A-T-I-C when I was that age.

Instead we got lazy people taking advantage of others, using the internet to buy something for $4 and sell it for $40. Begging for viewers to send gifts. Having no clue about growing food or how to provide meals for the group. Little sense of how to set priorities and devote time to basic survival.

I'll blame Kroll et co. on that.  They cast these people and while a few (very few) of them seem to have appropriate skills for starting a life as per the show's description, they populated the bulk of the cast with oddballs and/or persons who filled a drama slot.  And then they gave them positive reinforcement everytime they did something that worked against the very stated goal of the program. 

Most of the Topes walk away from this covered in stench and their stated career goals shot to hell by their own actions.  Bri as a veterinary assistant?  Nope.  Mike as a lawyer and potential elected offical?  Nope.  Aaron as a chef?  Ha ha ha!  And Kristen as a marketing professional and the "gal all men want to boink"?  As far as I can tell, convincing only yourself of that is called delusion, not marketing.

Edited by DeLurker
  • Love 6

For those people who wanted to watch the Topes reactions, I found this link on another website. It is billed as the last two hours... I haven't watched the whole thing so I can't be sure if it really is but it's worth a shot!

But after reading the comments...I don't think it actually showed the Topes being told that the show had been cancelled. :(

Edited by ShellyD
  • Love 4

Thanks ShellyD, you did your best to give us what we've been asking for - actually seeing the end.  I guess it was too much to hope for that when the Transmission Room crew found out they'd all been fired that anyone would keep taping, even if they could.  For all we know they found out when the power to the TR cut out!  OK, probably not that dramatic, but if the sad saga of Utopia USA was made into a movie you know that's how they'd end it for the camera operators. 

• Love 3

... I only wish we could have seen the reactions of these idiots when they found out they were not famous or even likeable to the viewing audience. ...

But did anyone here even imagine in their wildest fantasies that either Kroll or FOX would broadcast such a thing?  Not in a million billion years would they show it.  Producers and networks don't showcase their most humiliating moments like that.  Just all the humiliating moments they don't know are humiliating leading up to that moment.

Sorry folks but it never was gonna be in the cards to see the big "the show is cancelled" moment.  Even when that would have ended up as the most popular bit of footage from this whole train-wreck of a show.

I can see this show being an "inspiration" (gag) for some adult rated, scripted, cable sitcom show about how NOT to do a reality show.   But that could never be done as well as in this real life version though.  I mean who would believe a fictional version?  Viewers would think that no one could be that bad and incompetent in real life.  Guess fact is stranger than fiction.

Edited by green
  • Love 2

Cash is female, right? She's most likely going to end up as a milk cow, like her mom. Or maybe sold and kept as a pet due to her "celebrity".

However, I suspect the chickens won't be getting any star treatment.

• Love 1

I can see this show being an "inspiration" (gag) for some adult rated, scripted, cable sitcom show about how NOT to do a reality show. But that could never be done as well as in this real life version though. I mean who would believe a fictional version? Viewers would think that no one could be that bad and incompetent in real life. Guess fact is stranger than fiction.

Actually... I never finished watching it because they came out every couple of weeks and I lost track of it, but online parody site The Onion did a fake ~10 episode or so reality show called "Sex House" a couple of years ago that kind of reminds me of the Dopes. Warning: each episode is short, but it gets bleak REALLY fast. Uh, kinda like Blowtopia itself... :)

You had more patience than me, OttoD, I watched/listened about 10 minutes and got bored. :)

I got bored enough that I noticed another video on youtube from the day that Bri walked out.   This was pretty much the only part I watched from the last episode and I'd heard there were re-shoots on this so I checked it out.  

On the show, word that Bri was leaving rippled out like wildfire, making people drop whatever they were doing to rush out and watch.

On the actual live feeds, Bri just walked out.  Nobody noticed, and after a while somebody came into the kitchen and told someone else (I don't know these guys on sight, just by the recaps here) that Bri'd walked out.  Word of this ... failed to electrify anyone as folks just went about their business.  Ha.

Edited by henripootel
  • Love 4

He barely noticed she wasn't there until he was told to pack her stuff. Then he had that whole, 'amused sadness' thing going on with him. Then he was back to normal. No mourning her loss at all, like she had never been there.

Well, that's what spoiled womanizers like Chris do. They use women for sex, even women they have no sexual interest in. He didn't care at all about Bri, and as worthy of criticism that Bri was, I did feel sorry for her. I hope she grows and learns from this experience.

I honestly had no respect for Taylor and Hex. I don't even want to try to find the words to describe them, just glad it's over. Taylor strikes me as a true douchebag in every sense of the mercurial definition of that word. I don't care about his work ethic. He always found a way to demean and be negative. And Hex is just... ugh.

I found Dedeker appalling, too. If I could, I would strand her on a deserted island full of short, fat, bald men. See how she likes her polyamory garbage then. Her pretentiousness and narcissism really made me want to puke every time I saw that smug look on her face.

The only people I really thought were decent people were Amanda, Ernesto and Nikki, although Nikki bothered me a bit at times with her vacuousness. Josh was ok at times too, but not always a nice guy. I had no problem with the pastor, and I liked Dave and Red as well. 

Speaking of Dave and Red, I think the show would have been so much better if they had stayed. I would totally watch a reality show with Dave and Red traveling around the country or something like that. 

Thanks to all of you who recapped the live feeds. I didn't post in here, moreso in the TV show thread, but I read and enjoyed many of your posts, so thanks!

• Love 4

Well, guess I'll say my goodbyes too- you guys were such fun, and this was such a great place full of positive energy- odd, given what we were all discussing was possibly the most vapid, negative waste of TV time aired in a decade.

But here, we all snarked happily together, and Likes were given away as if they were Halloween candy, so I always got a good vibe from PTV when I'd log on in the morning and see a bunch of Likes and replies waiting for me.  And of course, kudos to our fearless, tireless recappers: I hope you find the inner peace you'll need after two months of toxic viewing. You were the watchers on the walls, the fire that burns against the cold, the light that brings the dawn... you get the picture. :)

Guess I'll go remove this show from my "following" list, and hope to run into a few of you in various other show threads!   Just remember, no matter how bad your favorite guilty pleasure show gets from this point out, how frustrating the plot twists or how badly written... you are one of the few, the proud, the battle scarred.  Know that you can endure any kind of lousy and ill-conceived show, because you've been forged and toughened by surviving Utopia.  :)

• Love 13

I'll just chime in to say a big Thank You to the recappers. I couldn't watch the tv version as it was so different from the reality and the real reality was greatly helped by the witty recaps. I'm going into Utopia withdrawal but only from the boards......See you all on other shows..Thanks for the hours of enjoyment--because ya'll were enjoyable, the show? not so much...

• Love 10

We all know damn well, that despite all their denials, the producers read these forums.

Sometime someone will be smart enough to harness the awful snark power that we embody and the faithful recappers (love you all) may make a few bucks.

(Look for me where the snark is heavy on the ground and may be cut with a knife.)

• Love 6