Type keyword(s) to search

S20.E09: Restaurant Wars

• Start Topic

When one team had the three American chefs (+ Ali) who know better than anyone what these particular judges like versus a team where half the members never ever did a restaurant wars before, it was already decided who was going to win. 

One thing I know from past interviews with cheftestants is these judges love their salt, which will inevitably be Victorie's downfall. She's been dinged two weeks in a row for "not bringing the flavor" and there's a good chance she goes next week.

From an editing point of view, I'm a little surprised Gabri didn't mention his missing ingredient's at judges table. The other two mentioned Tom being at fault for the plating and I think the concept, it would seem a third strike only to be saved by having the best dish would create the most drama. It is a tv show at the end of the day.

Speaking of editing, I don't really have any strong feeling one way or the other for Sarah, but every time they cut to a talking head, she's always blathering on about whatever topic. I'm not saying she isn't/can't be knowledgeable, but she comes off as a conversion one-upper.

It feels like they're headed towards a Amar/Ali final, but I could be very wrong. I'm sure Buddha will stick around, as well.

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, Souris said:

He definitely had a lot on his plate, rolling filo cigars AND doing a separate lamb dish.

That just seemed like a strange thing to do. They didn't seem to have any relationship to one another.

• Like 6
2 hours ago, kirklandia said:

About availability of phones - I thought I remembered the chefs checking in with each other from the different cars and different stores when they split up to go shopping.  

That’s what I thought too and why I mentioned it, but I wasn’t sure. 

They probably give the chefs burner phones pre loaded with numbers for other chef’s phones; then give them the phones to use only during specified times like shopping when teams split up.

Tom can’t PYKAG fast enough.

• Like 6

I like this concept of them all being in the kitchen. Front of the house is a totally different area, and I always thought that whoever volunteered for that role was a sacrificial lamb. 

It will always irk me when servers refer to patrons as “guys”, especially in upscale establishments. Just my pet peeve.

United Kitchen definitely came out on top. All the dishes were cohesive, and met their theme. Amar’s dish was especially beautiful; the scallop plate was a very nice touch. My beef: Tom could very well have — and should have — waited to ask Ali about the jus at Judges Table. Him going back in the kitchen was at the same level of inappropriateness as if any other random person did that. Just more Tom passive-aggressiveness, IMO. Buddha’s dessert — my mouth was watering. I really can’t begrudge the man the win.

Root — Tom takes control and things go to hell. Shocker. The discomfort the others showed during his explanation of the concept was telling, as was his nonanswer when Gail asked about the direction in the kitchen. Gabri’s dish looked like an oil spill — Nicole’s pasta over that any day. This was just an overall mess, thanks to his “vision”.

Tom skates again! I will do a happy dance when he packs his knives. I’m sorry to see Nicole go.

• Like 9

I have to say, I really loved this version of Restaurant Wars.  Top Chef should be all about the food, not if the decor matches the theme and the plates and cutlery choices support the concept.  The person doing FOH is always screwed (Fabio notwithstanding, he was built for FOH) because they have to scramble around in the weeds in the front as well as execute their own dish--or rely on others with an opposite agenda--for the judges.

Inevitably, the serving and timing get messed up because the chefs in the kitchen have had less than 24 hours to figure out that their choices don't really work for pacing a meal.  Plus, they have to take on finalizing the FOH's dish, so everything gets out of whack...and it always shows.

Ironically, the team that actually did some deep background, front-of-the-house preparation, had the smoothest service and servers presenting the dishes with knowledge and flair.  Which.....really helped since they had a secret diner/judge to note that.  I think the losing team's servers were left with no guidance, and had to just plonk the plates down and recite the menu description.  They didn't have to do it, but I think at least Buddha and Sara from United Kitchen recognized that linkage between the front and back of the house was essential to success.

All that time and angst spent on the pasties, and they were essentially dismissed.  I felt badly for him, but if he hadn't been so obsessed with those pasties--which did sound fantastic--he might not have let his lamb jus over reduce, and he would have had enough for more than a scant spoonful for each serving.  I'm a pretty good cook myself, so I don't understand why he couldn't just loosen it up with some water, wine, and butter and then be able to stretch it further?

I think the right person went home.  While I would love it, and would probably order it, seafood pasta just was not at the level it should have been for the show.  If she'd put an Asian twist to it, that might have saved it--maybe.  I was worried Gabri would go, nobody said his food was bad, it was just overwhelmed by the sauces.  I suspect with the squid ink and cauliflower puree, he was going for a black and white contrast, and going with the onions just didn't hold up that vision.  Not to mention the lack of texture which he was planning on getting from the cauliflower garnish.  A fried onion ring might have given nice contrast!

• Like 11

I am sad to see Nicole go. I like all the chefs, except for villain Tom. I won't be sorry to see him go (if he goes - he's getting the winner's edit).

Buddha is just so so talented. Not only at cooking, but at conceptualizing and managing the team, giving good critique that actually helps his teammates etc. I will be very sad if he doesn't make it to the finale. I'd love a Buddha, Sara and Amar finale, and would be ecstatic with a win any of these three.

I laughed at Buddha's "I'm screaming on the inside". And the tomato tea? I can't even imagine what that would taste like, but everyone thought it was amazing. Again: so, so talented.

Ali is lucky his team won. Had they lost, he'd be gone.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

So, feelings.  I am getting the sustained impression that Tom is self-centered.  The job was to shop, and that was done carelessly.  I fully recognize that this was also Victoire's job, but Tom has a bad track record so emotionally I blamed it all on him

Buddha:  I do relate.  I've made it through my whole life having one really good idea every once in a while and studying the rest of the time 🙂

PS, yes tomato tea.  I'm going to have to squish some tomatoes now.  Maybe he'll put up a recipe on Instagram like some of the chefs do.

• Like 3
(edited)

I LOVED when Victoire's chose Tom first, and Padma like, "huh? Why Tom." Like everything was thinking. They way Padma was completely baffled and trying to compose herself was fantastic. 

Nicole was being really difficult at first. She didn't like the "Roots" name, didn't want to make food from her home country, asked if people had different idea for a name  Victoire'said, "I love Roots" and then Nicole looks up at Tom and says, "Yea! Let's do it!" Totally disingenuous. Very smart of Tom though to get the team into the Roots theme so he could use his leeks.

Both teams, when planning their dishes, seemed a little mismatched and weird together. 

Edited by bravofan27
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

That restaurant critic must be the nicest food critic in the history of food critics. Even his criticisms didn’t sound critical.

Watching Gabri repetitive movements while he prepped his dish makes me wonder if he is neurodivergent. That would explain how he keeps getting bullied without standing up for himself or speaking up about unfair treatment at judge’s table. 

Please someone take Tom off my screen already! He is so manipulative and lies to the judges about his role in things every week. 

• Like 10
21 hours ago, RoseAllDay said:

I like this concept of them all being in the kitchen. Front of the house is a totally different area, and I always thought that whoever volunteered for that role was a sacrificial lamb. 

It will always irk me when servers refer to patrons as “guys”, especially in upscale establishments. Just my pet peeve.

United Kitchen definitely came out on top. All the dishes were cohesive, and met their theme. Amar’s dish was especially beautiful; the scallop plate was a very nice touch. My beef: Tom could very well have — and should have — waited to ask Ali about the jus at Judges Table. Him going back in the kitchen was at the same level of inappropriateness as if any other random person did that. Just more Tom passive-aggressiveness, IMO. Buddha’s dessert — my mouth was watering. I really can’t begrudge the man the win.

Root — Tom takes control and things go to hell. Shocker. The discomfort the others showed during his explanation of the concept was telling, as was his nonanswer when Gail asked about the direction in the kitchen. Gabri’s dish looked like an oil spill — Nicole’s pasta over that any day. This was just an overall mess, thanks to his “vision”.

Tom skates again! I will do a happy dance when he packs his knives. I’m sorry to see Nicole go.

This!!  And this was one of the restaurants regular servers- I couldn't believe my ears!  Next he'll be saying, "no problem" after guests thank him.  NOT for fine dining, if any dining at all.

I think most of the chefs (who had experienced restaurant wars) had a complete plan thought out for the restaurant wars episode, and the two most outspoken were able to convince the rest of their vision.  It seems apparent Buddha had everything thought out, including a general plan for the menu.  And he was willing to go the extra mile and do a fancy dessert, as well. 

• Like 6

Thinking about this a few days later...  I'm actually amazed Tom C. didn't mention anything about how nearly every dish on the winning team has something to be performed tableside: the pouring of the tomato tea, the pouring of the broth for the cullen skink, the dusting of the meringue powder etc.  Did the scallops get something tableside, or did they go out fully dressed?  I can't remember.  I know the lamb and pasties went out complete from the kitchen, that's what made Tom C. go in and check--I think he was expecting a pour over of the jus!

In past seasons, the judges--particulary Tom--have dinged chefs for unnecessarily fussy dishes with complicated services.  The dreaded "cheffing it up" criticism.  But in this episode?  Not one word.  Not one mention.  Either the judges are mellowing, the food was just that good, or........ maybe the guest judge and her restaurant Core does a lot of tableside action dishes, so making that criticism would be impolite in that company.

• Like 5
42 minutes ago, HurricaneVal said:

Did the scallops get something tableside

I recall the (warm) sauce for the (cold) scallops getting poured table side, which makes sense. Otherwise you get partially cooked scallops and partially congealed butter sauce. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 2
(edited)

A Michelin starred restaurant is the very place where cheffing it up is expected. It has to be smart, well-done, appropriate cheffing up, but fuss is part of the deal. 

Edited by marybennet
  • Like 8

I thought Padma looked stunningly beautiful at the dinners. Gail looked like she had been throwing up for hours with her large bags under her eyes. Tom looked, as usually, like a Freddy Krueger-- he just is not a good looking person, sadly. 

I don't think Gabri is autistic or on the spectrum, but I do think he's getting super pissed off and doesn't have the assertiveness tools to have his voice heard which distracts him and may make these repetitive looking movements because he clearly wants to win.

German Tom, the villian! Has a lot of charisma and high verbal IQ-- he can speak very well, which I think is Gabri's insecurity-- English. I love Gabri and I personally think he is KILLING it. No matter what, with his honest, sweet, and humble yet go-getter personality and attitude, he has this. I think that some viewers might have thought Gabri would have been gone by now. 

W

• Like 2
  • LOL 2

There have been times when the more loaded looking team at the team picks have ended up losing so I was interested to see how this played out.  Bad luck that a non RW chef drew a captain knife.  Her picks were pretty baffling.  Pretty sure when they stood as a foursome I saw flames engulf them.

buddha definitely had his concept ready for RW.  Only thing surprising was that he didn’t use of of his specialty molds.

• Like 5
1 hour ago, HappyDancex2 said:

Bad luck that a non RW chef drew a captain knife.  Her picks were pretty baffling.  Pretty sure when they stood as a foursome I saw flames engulf them.

buddha definitely had his concept ready for RW.  Only thing surprising was that he didn’t use of of his specialty molds.

Victoire seems pretty into Tom. And Vin Diesel. I think if Victoire took Sara rather than Nicole (the 2 people no one really wanted) it would have been much better. I think Nicole would have done better under Buddha's leadership as she didn't seem to have much respect for Tom who sort of assumed the lead role.

• Like 2

I really enjoyed having a restaurant critic undercover at the meals. They haven't done that at RW since season 3, I think, and that person was a blogger. Nothing against blogs -- I still read plenty of them -- but it was at the time when more amateur palates ruled the blogosphere, so there were a lot of attempts at being witty and cutting, while not necessarily being a seasoned food analyst to balance her zingers out. That said, since London has a reputation for food critics who have both the culinary knowledge and need to zing, I found this guy remarkably kind. (And cute!) I hope they do undercover critic again in the future, although it might be harder on the American version to find an American critic not known to the chefs.

I love that everyone sees Amar and Ali as a package deal now. This may mean at some point they'll have to cook off against each other or be in the bottom together again. Which would be tragic drama! Or maybe they just want to show a functional bromance. I'm cool with it either way and love their use of pet names for each other.

I can definitely see how Sara was picked last, but only because Tom was bewilderingly picked first. They all can cook vegetables, I'm pretty sure. That said, I loved Sara's defiant "underestimate me at your peril" stance. It's the best way to handle it, and she handled the modified FOH responsibilities way better than she did in her first season. They still needed to prep the servers, the maître d', and the expediter, and the UK team definitely understood that better than Roots did. Well, overall, the UK team definitely understood the brief better than Roots did, but I think that was a real key element there.

Looking forward to next week since the main challenge revolves another chef I remember from Chef's Table. Rice appears to rear its collective ugly head once again!

• Like 5
  • Love 1
(edited)
On 5/6/2023 at 12:08 PM, HurricaneVal said:

I have to say, I really loved this version of Restaurant Wars.  Top Chef should be all about the food, not if the decor matches the theme and the plates and cutlery choices support the concept.  The person doing FOH is always screwed (Fabio notwithstanding, he was built for FOH) because they have to scramble around in the weeds in the front as well as execute their own dish--or rely on others with an opposite agenda--for the judges.

I basically agree, however, when a chef opens a restaurant (and I mean a "vanity" restaurant, not coming in as an executive chef on someone else's concept), all of those items -- FOH and servers, tables/chairs, decor, flowers -- are part of their considerations.  The bigger issue on past RWs was time -- they only got 2 days to shop for all that stuff AND design the surroundings AND plan the menu.  It will be interesting to see what they do with RW going forward, whether this version continues or if they go back to the usual.

Not to mention the lack of texture which he was planning on getting from the cauliflower garnish.  A fried onion ring might have given nice contrast!

I was kind of confused by this.  Cooked cauliflower is basically soft as well, even if it's just quick steamed, so I wasn't sure how much additional texture it was expected to provide.

Edited by Rammchick
  • Like 3
On 5/6/2023 at 1:47 AM, MerBearHou said:

I feel for Gabri -- man, he has been messed around at least 4 times I can think of

I adore Gabri - but he is also the contestant who spilled a pan of water into Dawn's dish, nearly/partially ruining it, in the opening episode. She was lucky to not go out first, as was he that episode, and could have had the French chef not left in the poop chutes.

I have mixed feelings about what Restaurant Wars has turned into. It started as a fun challenge for a group of chefs to open a restaurant, but it’s become less about that and more about just planning a four course meal

Like, an actual chef is more of a manager than only a line cook, so opening a restaurant is more than just executing a menu item, but this is also a game show where the only thing judged is what’s these people cook, so front of the house was always a weird criteria on this show to begin with. Also, it’s not like the chefs are going to pick some off the wall concept. This challenge has become safer and more refined over time, and that is where the magic is lost. They could have done this exact same challenge in the Top Chef kitchen, and the only thing lost would be a nicer setting

• Like 4

I didn't miss a team shopping to dress a space as a restaurant--same way I don't miss inept servers. The key to RW is creating the concept and name, making it tie in appropriately, communicating that in a way that staff and guests understand it and, of course, planning a cohesive menu. The winning team understood and did that. The losing team didn't.

• Like 20

have to say, I really loved this version of Restaurant Wars.  Top Chef should be all about the food, not if the decor matches the theme and the plates and cutlery choices support the concept.  The person doing FOH is always screwed (Fabio notwithstanding, he was built for FOH) because they have to scramble around in the weeds in the front as well as execute their own dish--or rely on others with an opposite agenda--for the judges.

I agree.  Restaurant Wars is always my least favorite episode of a Top Chef season, this one cut out a lot of what I don't like

• Like 6

I actually love Restaurant Wars because I love to see how much of a shit storm these supposedly brilliant, acclaimed, infallible, future of the universe chefs can turn it into.  I do, though, wish it would automatically be a non-elimination round.

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
(edited)
On 5/5/2023 at 8:48 AM, potatoradio said:

Must now go look up "coddled" eggs - I can fry, poach or bake an egg, but am curious to see if coddling is something I might try. Can also do hard boiled, but can never peel them without losing all the white, so I don't. 

I've learned it's in the technique -- what works for me is room temperature eggs in room temperature water, brought to the boil then heat turned off and left for 12 minutes.  Drain the water and give the eggs a hard smack to break the shell (just once, not all over).  Cool the eggs under cold running water for a couple of minutes, then leave in a pan of cold water for a while.  As I said, works for me!

(I think what I'm trying to say is that time-consuming trial and error might be an answer, not that my method is the right one.)

On 5/7/2023 at 12:38 AM, bravofan27 said:

Very smart of Tom though to get the team into the Roots theme so he could use his leeks.

This made me realise that I never think of leeks/onions/garlic etc as root vegetables, which to me are potatoes, carrots, etc.

Edited by Leeds
  • Like 2
  • Useful 1

I don't think leeks are root vegetables. Or at least it's a stretch; what we eat is pretty much all above ground. Onions sure, and garlic. But yes, we usually think "beets, carrots, turnips, potatoes, etc."

• Like 2
20 minutes ago, dleighg said:

I don't think leeks are root vegetables. Or at least it's a stretch; what we eat is pretty much all above ground. Onions sure, and garlic. But yes, we usually think "beets, carrots, turnips, potatoes, etc."

Taking my reply to the Last Chance Kitchen thread, where it applies.

• Like 1
(edited)

I feel like it was so obvious from the start on who would go home, and which team would win.  Nicole did a lot of really significant mistakes early on that she just never recovered to.  And they were decisions that you would think she would have figured it out because she's been so skilled in other competition.  Even through Last Chance Kitchen, she made significant mental errors.

This did not feel like restaurant wars, because the team were not challenged to create a true concept, focus on decor and establish a vision of what they would like to do as a restaurant.  This felt like just a service challenge.

I think that Portland's Chef's table restaurant was probably the most innovated version as of yet, and although this did both a chef's table and restaurant, it didn't hit the spot on either. It was also in that season when Sara from Portland's season said, restaurants that always have a global concept versus a cohesive concept would usually fail.  Unfortunately fer her, her team didn't listen and she went home that year.  This season, the United Kitchen had a cohesive concept, while Root had a global concept which was basically everyone serving their own dishes and nothing tied things together.  That's why I felt it was clear who would win early on.  Root also had no head chef, which really was fatal.  Their progression did not make sense, and a head chef would really be able to tell Nicole that her dish didn't make sense with the rest of the menu, or Galbri's dish was too much sauce. 

Ali's sauce issue is likely because he placed the sauce between the meat and the grains, and the grains absorbed the sauce.  He should have plated grains, meat then sauce.  It's almost like a few years ago, where someone plated on plates that were too hot and the sauce seized.

Edited by wingsabre
On 5/7/2023 at 1:40 PM, HurricaneVal said:

Thinking about this a few days later...  I'm actually amazed Tom C. didn't mention anything about how nearly every dish on the winning team has something to be performed tableside: the pouring of the tomato tea, the pouring of the broth for the cullen skink, the dusting of the meringue powder etc.  Did the scallops get something tableside, or did they go out fully dressed?  I can't remember.  I know the lamb and pasties went out complete from the kitchen, that's what made Tom C. go in and check--I think he was expecting a pour over of the jus!

In past seasons, the judges--particulary Tom--have dinged chefs for unnecessarily fussy dishes with complicated services.  The dreaded "cheffing it up" criticism.  But in this episode?  Not one word.  Not one mention.  Either the judges are mellowing, the food was just that good, or........ maybe the guest judge and her restaurant Core does a lot of tableside action dishes, so making that criticism would be impolite in that company.

I think it's not a big issue this episode because the restaurant is more of a chef's table concept but serve as a restaurant.  So with a chef's table, you expect more interaction and theatrics.  It's not just a restaurant, but something that should pop a bit.

16 hours ago, wingsabre said:

Ali's sauce issue is likely because he placed the sauce between the meat and the grains, and the grains absorbed the sauce.  He should have plated grains, meat then sauce.  It's almost like a few years ago, where someone plated on plates that were too hot and the sauce seized.

Ali’s sauce issue was mainly that he just didn’t have enough because his sauce over-reduced on the stove. The judges wanted more of it, but he couldn’t plate with more or he wouldn’t have enough to put that dab on every plate. (Tom walked into the kitchen to see if Ali was putting more jus on later plates.) So he may have plated it in the wrong order, but he didn’t have enough jus to work with in the first place. 

• Like 5