Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E14: Performance Anxiety

jewel21
  • Start Topic

The 118 race to the rescue at emergencies at a commercial bakery and a bodybuilding competition; Bobby's annual performance reviews sends Chimney to the firefighter academy where he runs into a familiar face; Eddie's aunt gets involved in his personal life; Maddie helps a nervous teen suffering a panic attack.

Airdate: 04/17/2023

I thought this was pretty good, with the exception of the story line of Eddie whom I just don't care about. It was interesting to watch some firefighter training. 

In the high school boys' room scene, I was expecting the kid to see another kid in trouble - OD or something - so maybe I've been watching this show too much. 

• Like 4
9 hours ago, DanaK said:

I don’t think I was very aware Hewitt had been a singer but her singing with the young man and later with Chimney to their child was nice

Yeah, she tried a pop career when she first kind of “made it” in acting but it didn’t quite land. She’s found a way to work her singing into everything I’ve seen her in though.

6 hours ago, Mediocre Gatsby said:

Eddie whom I just don't care about.

Me neither. Married, single, dating, don’t care. I especially don’t care about his personal life. Like if he’s having issues at work, OK because that involves the other firefighters, but I couldn’t care less if he dates.

• Like 5

I liked this episode a lot. The return of Ravi was fantastic. He's a character they never seemed to take seriously, yet he's one of two new characters they've introduced after season 1 that fit on the team (the other obviously being Eddie). Everyone else they've tried to throw in as a new character has failed, but Ravi has always fit in rather well, which is why it was so surprising that they not just underutilized him, they basically let the actor go last season. It's great that they got him back because Ravi really does work.

I loved Ravi's scenes with Chimney. I also love that Chimney got to work at the fire academy to learn how he is a leader. It was fun to get a new dynamic yet still within the realm of firefighting. Seeing Chimney connect with the newbie firefighter was nice and it was great to see him being recommended for dispatch. We could always use another recurring 911 dispatcher, on top of Josh, Linda and Sue (we haven't seen Sue in a while) so I would not be opposed to seeing him recur for a probable season 7 (as long as they avoid what they just did this season with their previous three episode recurring new dispatcher and make him a bad guy).

Maddie's couple of scenes was nice. I'm totally fine with a call that is more low stakes. I do tend to not love musical moments in a show like this, but surprisingly, I was alright with this. It was short and sweet, and did lead to a very sweet moment with the Buckley-Han family.

I did have a good laugh at Bobby's performance review ending with him asking everyone to review him and nobody being able to come up with anything. And it led to some very small character moments. For Buck, it showed him actively standing up for himself and telling Bobby to grade him accurately instead of taking it easy because of his injury. For Eddie, it led him to figure out a home-work balance. For Hen, it led her to find out she needed to renew her paramedics license. 

Going to Eddie, his dating subplot was fine, but didn't really lead to all that much, besides his aunt telling him he shouldn't be alone.

We also got a glimpse of Hen, Denny and an offscreen Karen have Nathaniel over, which I guess is fine. Athena/Hen's talk was nice.

• Like 10
1 hour ago, Lady Calypso said:

Everyone else they've tried to throw in as a new character has failed, but Ravi has always fit in rather well, which is why it was so surprising that they not just underutilized him, they basically let the actor go last season.

It will be interesting to see if he's made a regular next season now that his commitments to Big Sky and Never Have I Ever are over.  Or at least appear to be. (I don't watch Big Sky and I know Never Have I Ever is done filming.)

• Like 5
  • Useful 1
9 hours ago, Mediocre Gatsby said:

I thought this was pretty good, with the exception of the story line of Eddie whom I just don't care about. It was interesting to watch some firefighter training.

Eddie has become (or maybe he always was) a pretty bland character. BTW, I love your name. Had a good laugh when  I did more than glance at it.

27 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

It will be interesting to see if he's made a regular next season now that his commitments to Big Sky and Never Have I Ever are over.  Or at least appear to be. (I don't watch Big Sky and I know Never Have I Ever is done filming.)

OMG, I did not realize he was on Never Have I Ever. I do remember thinking he looked familiar, but didn't place him.

I liked this episode, though the baking mishap was pretty gruesome (the thought of human blood and bone mixed into food just icks me out, but it was supposed to).

I had no idea that Hewitt sang (I didn't really follow her career), but it was a lovely 911 support moment, and the scene with Chimney and the baby was very sweet.

• Like 5

The actress playing Reyna, the plant supervisor, has been all over the place lately, including on Loot, The Flight Attendant and Grey's Anatomy. I always do a double take when I see her because she looks a bit like Megan Mullally.

I'm annoyed by people like Josefina who feels like Eddie won't be happy or complete or something unless he has a woman in his life. Eddie has a full plate with Christopher and his job. If he feels like that's enough for now he shouldn't be made to feel that he is lacking in life. His failed romantic relationships can have a negative impact on Christopher too. Not everyone has to be with someone to be happy.

• Like 9
  • Applause 6
  • Love 1

I thought this was a really strong episode that mixed and supported its themes well. It was about leadership, taking responsibility for doing things the right way, helping other people, and had a good ol' family sing-along. (The child actor playing Maddie & Chimney's kid is very sweet and natural on screen.)

"Buck! You died!" is going to be a catch phrase for awhile, I think. I really don't know that the character of Buck is capable of any real growth, but everyone puts up with him.

I want to know why Hen hasn't looked into Denny's father's background. Does he have a record? How did he get involved with Hen's scummy ex? And of course, he did relinquish his parental rights, so he can't really petition for custody. 

And insult to injury: Hen is behind in her continuing ed credits BECAUSE SHE WAS IN MED SCHOOL. On the other hand, she'll probably ace the courses.

...and that's why you need safety cages over giant mixing machines...

• Like 10
37 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I'm annoyed by people like Josefina who feels like Eddie won't be happy or complete or something unless he has a woman in his life. Eddie has a full plate with Christopher and his job. If he feels like that's enough for now he shouldn't be made to feel that he is lacking in life. His failed romantic relationships can have a negative impact on Christopher too. Not everyone has to be with someone to be happy.

Yes, thank you! I needed for someone to say this:)

25 minutes ago, kwnyc said:

I want to know why Hen hasn't looked into Denny's father's background. Does he have a record? How did he get involved with Hen's scummy ex? And of course, he did relinquish his parental rights, so he can't really petition for custody.

Actually they did, back on season 1 or 2, when he wanted to sue for custody due to the biological mother's shenanigans.

And speaking od Hen, I'm tired of the show making her so freaking perfect. Everyone had a 'but', but perfect Hen was even a better cap than Cap. 🙃 I think she even is more perfect than The Sun herself. (You know what I mean od you whatch Greys Anatomy;)

• Like 2
14 hours ago, DanaK said:

I don’t think I was very aware Hewitt had been a singer but her singing with the young man and later with Chimney to their child was nice

One of her first jobs was on an old series Kids Incorporated.  Which was about a kids band. Stacy Ferguson (Fergie), Marika and Mario Lopez were also on it

• Useful 5
2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I'm annoyed by people like Josefina who feels like Eddie won't be happy or complete or something unless he has a woman in his life.

Same. I wouldn't be against Eddie having a season off from dating. He's got Carla, Buck, and the rest of the team to help if he needs it. If he's not ready for more, don't push him.

• Like 2

Ravi's back! 

Confession: I skipped right past the singing scenes. Wasn't interested.

4 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I didn't watch either of these shows, but it seems to explain why he wasn't available for this one. Hope he stays around. 

5 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

For Eddie, it led him to figure out a home-work balance.

Was it a work-life balance issue, though?  Sounds like to me Eddie's just a homebody when he's not working.  And Bobby seemed to take a similar stance as Josefina in that he should be involved with someone/doing stuff when he's off work. 

I don't recall hearing Eddie stating he's lonely. If he isn't interested in a relationship, I'm with others in that being single should be as respected as being partnered.  To me, it's just like preferring not to have kids - it's just as valid a choice as having them.    

1 hour ago, lorbeer said:

And speaking od Hen, I'm tired of the show making her so freaking perfect. Everyone had a 'but', but perfect Hen was even a better cap than Cap.

Thankfully, her lapse in continuing ed credits kept her from perfection! I love Hen, but as I recall, she was pretty far from perfect when she was juggling medical school.  So I don't know what Bobby was talking about. 

• Like 9
40 minutes ago, ribboninthesky1 said:

I don't recall hearing Eddie stating he's lonely. If he isn't interested in a relationship, I'm with others in that being single should be as respected as being partnered.  To me, it's just like preferring not to have kids - it's just as valid a choice as having them.    

Yes, thank you! If he doesn’t want to date, fine. His (was it his aunt or grandmother? I forget) made it sound like he was miserable alone, but did he ever say that? She also made it sound like he needed to get married in the next month or it would be too late.

I know a number of women who have given up on dating (the dating pool is tough), and others who are divorced and say they will not marry again. These are choices they’re making that they’re fine with. Eddie has a job he loves and a great kid, which is a pretty full life.

• Like 8
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Empress1 said:

I know a number of women who have given up on dating (the dating pool is tough), and others who are divorced and say they will not marry again. These are choices they’re making that they’re fine with. Eddie has a job he loves and a great kid, which is a pretty full life.

I'm glad to see so many people have picked up on Eddie being pushed to date as though he HAS to. He's also been through a shit ton of things, and as far as we know, is still working on himself. He's allowed to take his time until he & Buck realize they are right for each other. ;-)

• Like 1
  • Wink 3
  • LOL 10
15 minutes ago, LtKelley said:

Well, she was expressing the somewhat valid concern that the longer he is single and not dating, the easier it is to stay single and not dating

Sure, but maybe he just … won’t date. That would be fine. Maybe that’s the choice he’ll make.

Also, as a single woman who does date, all Eddie has to do is get on the apps and he’ll be fine. If he wants to find a life partner, that’s harder, but if he wants to just date casually or sleep around, he can easily do that. He’s good-looking, has a good job, and is nice. That’s more than many single men are bringing to the table. Trust me.

• Like 6
  • Hugs 2
7 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Spoilers for Big Sky:

Spoiler

IIRC his character got killed. (I only watched Big Sky for Jensen Ackles. Yes, I'm shallow 😀)

I need TV shows to stop acting like being single is the worst thing that could possibly happen to someone. If someone doesn't want to be in a relationship, it's perfectly normal and forcing a relationship just for a sake of being in one is unhealthy (imo).

• Like 6
  • Applause 3

That was a solid episode, I'm so glad that they decided to bring Ravi back, hopefully he's going to stick around. Of the many new characters they have tried to introduce he's one of their most successful, I know that the actor has been busy but his previous gigs seem to have ended, so hopefully he's here to stay. I like that the stories all tied into each other in a slightly more subtle way, with a lot of rescues while also having some character stuff. 

Eddie doesn't seem all that lonely to me, he seems to be doing just fine single no matter what his aunt says. He did seem to actually like the women he got set up with though, so maybe she'll come back later. The only people that think that everyone should be paired off in romantic relationships more than aunts are TV writers. 

Chim at firefighter training was really nice to see, he might not want to be captain but he clearly has a lot of leadership potential, he's great at connecting with people. It was also a good way to bring Ravi back and give a reason for why he's been gone, their scenes together were really well done. My favorite part though was when he recommended that the rookie work in dispatch instead of firefighting. He didn't fail, he just realized he was meant to do something else, which is a lesson I think a lot of people need to hear. 

Bobby's performance reviews were fun, lots of nice character moments and I love how Bobby kept asking people to be tough on him while everyone tried to get out of it. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Like 3
On 4/18/2023 at 12:15 PM, kwnyc said:

...and that's why you need safety cages over giant mixing machines...

I guess I lucked out not ever coming close to such an accident with no such safety cage over the Hobart back in 1977-78.
I've never heard of (or seen!) such a thing.
But obviously the need for such cages was demonstrated. 😱
What is even more crazy is that the boss — who it was stated and demonstrated — was familiar with the safety cage, would likely have known equally horrific stories that caused the cages to become required. 
The boss penalizing the employee for using the cage would be like a limosuine service insisting their drivers not wear seat belts.
I'll stop now. 
But I could go on.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, tennisgurl said:

How does Hen have all of this time to stress about her home life when she's working a high stress full time job while also in medical school?

Is she still in med school?

2 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

How does Hen have all of this time to stress about her home life when she's working a high stress full time job while also in medical school?

Didn't she drop out of medical school after Karen's lab exploded?

• Like 1

Didn't she drop out of medical school after Karen's lab exploded?

Yes. She decided it was enough to just be an EMT because being a doctor meant less time with her family.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Useful 1
On 4/18/2023 at 11:52 PM, Empress1 said:

Also, as a single woman who does date, all Eddie has to do is get on the apps and he’ll be fine. If he wants to find a life partner, that’s harder, but if he wants to just date casually or sleep around, he can easily do that. He’s good-looking, has a good job, and is nice. That’s more than many single men are bringing to the table. Trust me.

for real, reminded me of Buck's S4 storyline of not finding anyone to date and angsting about ending up alone. I was like, dude, a handsome, nice firefighter with a cool apartment, looking to settle down and get serious...you'd be the king of tinder with that bio.

and echoing everyone else on the annoyance that being single is constantly presented as a huge drama on the show and you need a partner to be happy or you'll die depressed and alone.

• Like 7
5 hours ago, KatWay said:

for real, reminded me of Buck's S4 storyline of not finding anyone to date and angsting about ending up alone. I was like, dude, a handsome, nice firefighter with a cool apartment, looking to settle down and get serious...you'd be the king of tinder with that bio.

Yep. One pic in his uniform, one pic of him and Christopher (with Chris’s face covered) and a mention of liking kids in his profile and Buck would be swimming in women. Finding a life partner is harder but finding dates would be easy (and it was before he kind of got it together - he was hooking up a lot. Remember he slept with his therapist during his therapy session?).

• Like 2
10 hours ago, KatWay said:

and echoing everyone else on the annoyance that being single is constantly presented as a huge drama on the show and you need a partner to be happy or you'll die depressed and alone.

Yes. My own personal experience is that when I'm content with being single, I make better choices in potential partners because I don't need them.

• Like 9
3 hours ago, ninjakid said:

That therapist should have lost her license. Especially since he came to her because he was concerned about being sex addicted. 

If I recall correctly she was pretty horrified by what they did for that reason, in post-orgasm clarity. As she should have been.