Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E10: Part Ten - The Last Generation

• Start Topic

In a desperate last stand, Jean-Luc Picard & generations of crews both old & new fight together to save the galaxy from the greatest threat they've ever faced as the saga of The Next Generation comes to a thrilling, epic conclusion

Series finale dropping Thursday, April 20, 2023.

This episode looked expensive.  It was a cute little touch at the start that they changed the Star Trek stinger to a Borg-infested one with glitching music.

With that post-credits scene with Q, I guess they are going all-in on Jack Crusher as the future.  Resistance is futile.  They must want to do their Jack stories before Ed Speleers hits retirement age.  (Sorry, had to get one last joke in for the good of the order.)

I was hoping the Titan’s rechristening would include a refit involving light switches and warmer lighting, but no dice.

It is hard to snark on an episode that ends with a classic poker game (obviously meant to evoke “All Good Things …”) and that lovable, lovable cast (who were good in all their scenes), although I did have to chuckle at the fact that as literally as one can possibly express, the power of love and hugs saved the day here (via Deanna and Picard), which is fine, it’s a nice message.  I also had to laugh a little that Jean-Luc said that Jack changed his life, as they showed flashbacks of their great(?) times together over the past … several trauma-filled days.

I have just watched 2 season/ series finales in the past 24 hours that ended happily, which is a trend I can get behind.  I’m so glad no one died this episode.

P.S.:  I am surprised at no Janeway cameo for all the times they mentioned her this season and how she couldn’t be gotten to.

• Like 21

I'm not sure I'd be up for a Jack Crusher series.  This one was awful enough, thank you.  I'm glad it's over.

Having had a beloved cat die this past year, I can understand Data tearing up over seeing an Ensign feed their cat.  Pictures of black cats send me to the Kleenex box.

Yeah, the poker game was a nice, final touch, but why are the Rikers considering Orlando for a vacation? Didn't the Borg fire on it?  You don't mean they've actually thought about what KESTRA might want!?!??!

It seems earth would have a LOT to do to rebuild those destroyed cities.

• Like 12
  • Hugs 1
1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I'm not sure I'd be up for a Jack Crusher series.  This one was awful enough, thank you.  I'm glad it's over.

Having had a beloved cat die this past year, I can understand Data tearing up over seeing an Ensign feed their cat.  Pictures of black cats send me to the Kleenex box.

Yeah, the poker game was a nice, final touch, but why are the Rikers considering Orlando for a vacation? Didn't the Borg fire on it?  You don't mean they've actually thought about what KESTRA might want!?!??!

I don't think they ever fired on those cities. They were just gearing up to. For several very, very, very long minutes. But even with earth itself not being attacked, many Starfleet officers aged 26+ were killed on the ships and everyone at space dock was presumably killed. Which would have included any dignitaries on the dock for Frontier Day. Everyone at Starfleet, and probably everyone on earth who would have been terrified during the attack (and presumably there were killings on earth by under 25 year olds who'd been through the transportation system) would hate Jack. He wasn't even captured by the Changelings or the Borg like Picard was. He set off willingly to go to the queen, instead of taking even a few minutes to think about what might happen if he did exactly what earth's enemies clearly wanted him to do. He'll be even more despised than the last Ensign Crusher!

The line of the episode that summed up just how bad a fan fiction this whole thing felt like, was the Borg Queen taunting Jack in her defeat, moments from the cube exploding with: "Even if you do somehow survive........" It was all bad but the idea that in that moment of them being about to blow up, she's thinking vengefully about Jack feeling awkward and out of place after the escape the writers wanted you to be on the edge of your seat about. And then him and Picard taking the time to show her how much it will all be fine for Jack because his dad loves him. So she can be angry even though as far as everyone on the cube knows, they're about to explode. 

I'm genuinely very annoyed that so much great potential was wasted here for the sake of decent writing. But y'know, they got Walter Koenig to guest voice, and called Chekov's son Anton after Anton Yelchin. So memberberries. Hurray.

Edited by AllyB
  • Like 14

If only the show's plot was even half as good as the show's nostalgic moments!  I loved things like ending with the poker game, the Worf/Riker interactions ("and I will make it a threesome") and Picard's emotion when he sees the Enterprise 1701-G.  I loved Data's delight in flying towards the center of the Borg ship to destroy it (plus Deanna's asking why she was sensing enjoyment), but I was distracted when I realized this is too similar to the second Death Star attack in Star Wars.

As long as the show is being nostalgic, I'll imagine that Picard and Beverly are now in a relationship that finally lasts.  Yes, there is no real evidence that will happen, but them sitting next to each other at the poker game was enough for me.  Sorry Laris... only O.G. Enterprise members make the cut (see Riker's daughter Kestra for reference).

• Like 15

All in all, I find this season underwhelming. It looked great but the plot made no sense. They named-checked a lot of former characters from all the Trek series but didn't have them appear. They spent eight episodes on Changelings and only two on the actual Big Bad, the old Borg Queen, who can be defeated by the Picards hugging it out. And then Q shows up to say 'Howdy' to Jack. It all should have been so much better.

• Like 14

I don't want to say I was disappointed in the finale but maybe I was expecting too much.  It did seem to check all the boxes though.  Still no Janeway for as much as she was mentioned.  Maybe Kate was busy so they had to settle for Tuvoc?

When they were on the Borg cube, Worf called Riker by his name, Riker.  Doesn't he always call him commander / captain, even in retirement?

Re-christening the Titan to Enterprise G was a nice touch but I would think there would be a lot more fanfare surrounding it.  How do you even keep that a secret?

I would be interested in a Captain 7 of 9 spinoff with that crew.  However, I would not be interested in an Ensign Jack Crusher-Picard spinoff.

Edited by KeithJ
  • Like 6

The Good?
Almost everything. 

The bad? Jack being the centre of a future spin off.
I was ready for a 7 centered series, but not that ultra annoying 35 something 24y old.
Hopefully if they make a new Enterprise series, they would find a way to get rid of him (one can only hope). Othewise it would be really tough to watch.

Worf is a Star Trek treasure.
Someone please make 10mins webisodes with Worf interacting with members of the gang.

So Seven became a captain because she doesn't follow orders.
Michael Burnham is feeling a proud "mama" somewhere in the center of the universe.
And please, if you do a new series, TURN ON THE DAMN LIGHTS! 

• Like 16
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 3

With this episode closing out the show, we learn that all things must come to an end, and not just the good ones. 

What can I say about Jack? Jack is easily the worst addition of a kid to a series since Cousin Oliver. 

Riker's near dying words: Me and my boy!

Me: This fucking guy. 

Edited by Francie
  • Like 10
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1

Look I like 7/ love her character but this is just like Kirk in the Kelvin age getting command of the Flagship? After only less than a year? Heck her rank of commander on Titan made no sense. Nepotism really does move mountains in Starfleet. I guess once again Starfleet is in need of personnel after the Borg battle. And yes deal me out on a Jack crusher spin-off. 

The new Enterprise is not going to be near powerful as previous versions if the Titan A is any indication. I guess they couldn’t justify giving 7 such a ship. I’m hoping this is because the actual New Enterprise is still being built. 

• Like 8

I'll admit that I enjoyed this one a lot more than last week and more than a few others this season too (I thought the first few started out okay as well). The character work really saved a lot of these moments for me. I thought the scene at the end was incredibly cheesy but it did get me. I know others will disagree but I was hoping they'd just have Beverly and Picard as friends. Implying they're together or whatever that was just sits wrong for me after she ran off for 20 something years with their son. Also, I'm begging Star Trek realize not every Starfleet kid has to join up as well. When Deanna sat down at the conn, I really thought they were about to make a joke about her crashing the ship. I'm glad they avoided that. 

I get that she was mentioned a few times across the show, but I'd love to hear why the show just forgot Kestra in the last two episodes. Did anyone bother to mention to Data that he has a daughter now? And whatever happened to Laris? Or Elnor? Seven and Raffi were all about how he was their family last year, you'd think they'd bring him up or want him on the ship with them.

Tuvok definitely felt like a replacement for Janeway.

I don't want to ever hear about Jack Crusher or the Troi-Riker son (may he Rest In Peace) again. If we're getting a spinoff, just please let it be Seven, Raffi, and some unknowns. Count me out though if Matalas is in charge or involved. I don't think he can be trusted to write or oversee a show with women, POC, and queer characters and respect them.

Edited by FloatOn
  • Like 9
  • Sad 1
  • Applause 4
  • Useful 1
52 minutes ago, FloatOn said:

I get that she was mentioned a few days across the show, but I love to hear why the show just forgot Kestra in the last two episodes. Did anyone bother to mention to Data that he has a daughter now? And whatever happened to Laris? Or Elnor? Seven and Raffi were all about how he was their family last year, you'd think they'd bring him up or want him on the ship with them.

It's like Matalas was told he wasn't beholden to the first two seasons of Picard, and given what big bag fulls of Meh both seasons were, I ain't mad at it. This season had its faults and then some, but I'd rather sit through more of even Amanda Plummer eating all the scenery whole than force everyone to make space for Elnor and Data's Traveler daughter.

That being said, I do find it interesting that they were able to shove that blonde Admiral in for the exposition dump last episode, but we couldn't get Wesley Crusher, brother to Jack Crusher, biological son of Jack Crusher the First and Admiral Beverly Crusher in for at least a Zoom chat at some point, but whatever.

Anyway, I loved the snark and the side-eye, especially when Beverly went HAM on the Borg cube and was like, "Look, a lot has changed in the past 20 years." I'm easily satisfied, I guess, but I enjoyed this.

Edited by jmonique
  • Like 11

Anton Chekov - yeah great call back.

This should have been season 2 not 3.
Meh. Jack as a borg. Who cares. And I dont buy that Picard was able to reach Jack with memories of a few days. That's utter bull. And for fuck's sake no one is going to like Jack at Starfleet.  So is he calling himself Jack Picard now? Jack Crusher-Picard? 
Alice Krige's Borg - what the F have they done to you?  
Glad that Janeway didn't show up in this crapfest.  But sad that I didn't see Wesley Crusher. He should have had at least one scene. 
I guess Picard has forgotten all about Laris as much as Troi and Riker forgot about Kestra and Seven/Raffi with Elnor.  
Instead of John de Lancie as Q approaching Jack it should have been Keegan de Lancie's Q.  Instead of a trial it should be more of a friendship?! You know the kind of friendship that will get you into trouble.  But a trail? That was the whole premises for TNG's beginning and end.

LOL Moments: The cook on Titan, Data's gut and Troi searching vacation destinations.

Suck on it show for not at least having Seven complete her signature line.

I said it before and I'll say it again.  The Borg have been WAY WAY WAY overdone.  Its like that cool song you hear at the beginning of summer and then by fall you are so sick of it because it's not only been overplayed but also techon'd.  They should have found another adversary. 

• Like 14
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1
26 minutes ago, jmonique said:

It's like Matalas was told he wasn't beholden to the first two seasons of Picard, and given what big bag fulls of Meh both seasons were, I ain't mad at it. This season had its faults and then some, but I'd rather sit through more of even Amanda Plummer eating all the scenery whole than force everyone to make space for Elnor and Data's Traveler daughter.

Oh I hear you and agree for the most. I don't have a deep desire to see them onscreen. I just thought a mention might have been nice but I'm not losing sleep over it.

I do think the Laris thing sucks since she was one of the best parts of the first two seasons. Going back through, Kestra got mentioned way more than I thought, but still odd how they just forgot about her in the last two episodes and never bothered to clarify where she was at during all this this.

Also I thought Riker and Deanna were moving off that planet? But then this episode made it sound like a vacation? Was it both?

Edited by FloatOn
  • Like 6
6 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

why are the Rikers considering Orlando for a vacation?

Given how much Orlando as a vacation spot has been in the news of late, not very prescient of these showrunners back in 2022. 

A rule of Roddenberry's that the TNG writers took to heart even after his passing -- no out-of-time idioms. No "above my pay grade" type of sayings. Certainly an attempt at a pop culture reference like this would never have been thought as funny. No hehe, wouldn't it be funny to think that people will still be going to vacation in Orlando in the 25th century. God. These showrunners are 12, aren't they?

• Like 5
  • Applause 2
45 minutes ago, FloatOn said:

I do think the Laris thing sucks since she was one of the best parts of the first two seasons.

I must admit, I am amused at how hard S2 worked to position Picard and Laris, only for Matalas and Co. to be like: "Ehhhh. Nah. We have other things to spend money on."

I forgot to mention, I do appreciate how there was no big death/sacrifice amongst the aged Next Gen cast. We've been there so often with Data that I liked that we didn't have any sad, lingering glances at an empty seat in the final scene. Just laughter and cards.

• Like 16
2 hours ago, FloatOn said:

Tuvok definitely felt like a replacement for Janeway.

I’m guessing the bad feelings between the actresses prevented it from happening.

So the fleet connection invention all depended on line of sight!? That is one heck of a limitation. 20yrs ago they came up with an array that could communicate with Voyager in the Delta Quadrant, but haven’t mastered taking over a ship out of sight? 

Special counselor ensign Jack Crusher? This whole accelerated promotion thing with Starfleet is stretching creditably. It’s like Malalas did no homework on how military or navy command structure works and just pulled said position out of thin air 

Wow planetary defenses held out longer than I expected. And I was right as both Starfleet and earths transporters were affected since the young planet side were borgified . 

Beverly is the new CMO of earth, yippee, here’s hope  she’s better at it than motherhood

Looks like Picard and Beverly got married, from the picture on Jacks desk. Too bad Laris, you lost out to bad writing and nostalgia.

Sigh…Elnor would fit right in with the new Enterprise G crew. Way better than Jack. I hope if we get a series he’s brought over. He’d be great playing off of silly Jack.

End of the Borg 🤣🤣🤣 Silly Starfleet, you will never get rid of them. You based two regular series around them, 3 now including Picard, who all had endings concerning the Borg. A scorned Borg Queen is the worst to get rid of. 

Edited by rtms77
  • Like 12
  • Applause 1
7 hours ago, KeithJ said:

I would not be interested in an Ensign Jack Crusher-Picard spinoff.

I was wondering why Jack’s position was as a “special counselor” on the bridge.  Isn’t any useful training he has in the medical field, or perhaps something like logistics?  I wish he had gone to medical school before the start of this season to make his nepotism-fueled career track a bit more plausible.  And does he have the rank of ensign? I don’t really understand ranks, but I thought it was Academy grads that got those types of rankings, and enlisted like O’Brien got different titles?

4 hours ago, Francie said:

Certainly an attempt at a pop culture reference like this would never have been thought as funny. No hehe, wouldn't it be funny to think that people will still be going to vacation in Orlando in the 25th century.

I don’t really think of Orlando as a pop culture reference.  People have been visiting the same European cities for hundreds of years for entertainment and culture, so I could see the same being true of certain American cities.  It was just supposed to sound mundane to us after Riker names imaginary celestial wonders, but has Troi even ever spent that much time on Earth?  It would probably be exotic to her.

8 hours ago, fatewemake said:

As long as the show is being nostalgic, I'll imagine that Picard and Beverly are now in a relationship that finally lasts.  Yes, there is no real evidence that will happen, but them sitting next to each other at the poker game was enough for me. 

It was very magnanimous of Jean-Luc to absolve Beverly of any and all guilt right before he thought he was going to die.  At this point, I’m with you on the “why not assume that they are together?” train, since I was a massive Crusher/Picard shipper back in the day and I “choose my own adventure” of happiness if they’re not going to tell me otherwise, and I don’t think Laris needs to be mixed up with all this mess the Crusher-Picards have going on.  If she posted on the AITA space subreddit about this situation, all the commenters would be like “red flags everywhere that he’s still in love with his old girlfriend and now they’re coparenting a kid together, run, girl!”

Edited by Peace 47
  • Like 5
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 3
58 minutes ago, rtms77 said:

Looks like Picard and Beverly got married, from the picture on Jacks desk. Too bad Laris, you lost out to bad writing and nostalgia.

You mean this picture:

image.png.642781accc19ca561fc41cbd20600077.png

That can't be a wedding picture.  That has to be from a premier or awards show.  Look how young they are. 

Besides, did it even look like they still had feelings for each other at any time during the season?

Edit: I found the photo:

image.png.f3462bc1867fae5b41993cccf6e9c5e5.png

I only found it on Pinterest though so I can't figure out where / when it is from.

One more edit because I just can't let things go:

https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/news-photo/gates-mcfadden-patrick-stewart-during-1988-kcet-in-los-news-photo/111172062

Premier of "Television" at KCET Studios

Gates McFadden & Patrick Stewart during 1988 KCET in Los Angeles, California, United States. (Photo by Jeff Kravitz/FilmMagic, Inc)

Edited by KeithJ
  • Like 7
  • Useful 7
8 hours ago, Peace 47 said:

This episode looked expensive.  It was a cute little touch at the start that they changed the Star Trek stinger to a Borg-infested one with glitching music.

With that post-credits scene with Q, I guess they are going all-in on Jack Crusher as the future.  Resistance is futile.  They must want to do their Jack stories before Ed Speleers hits retirement age.  (Sorry, had to get one last joke in for the good of the order.)

I was hoping the Titan’s rechristening would include a refit involving light switches and warmer lighting, but no dice.

It is hard to snark on an episode that ends with a classic poker game (obviously meant to evoke “All Good Things …”) and that lovable, lovable cast (who were good in all their scenes), although I did have to chuckle at the fact that as literally as one can possibly express, the power of love and hugs saved the day here (via Deanna and Picard), which is fine, it’s a nice message.  I also had to laugh a little that Jean-Luc said that Jack changed his life, as they showed flashbacks of their great(?) times together over the past … several trauma-filled days.

I have just watched 2 season/ series finales in the past 24 hours that ended happily, which is a trend I can get behind.  I’m so glad no one died this episode.

P.S.:  I am surprised at no Janeway cameo for all the times they mentioned her this season and how she couldn’t be gotten to.

I, too, am happy that none of the Original TNGers died. That Post Credit Scene... I instantly forgave this finale for not mentioning Kestra at all and not actually showing us Guinan giving the TNGers bombastic side-eye! (aaannd for not telling us who Geordi's wife is and where is Worf's son? Just a mention, guys!)   I startled my son with my hooping and hollering upstairs while he is in virtual class downstairs.

Anyway, I was satisfied with the proper sendoff this crew earned and with Captain Seven of Nine of the USS Enterprise G.  I thought for a moment that the ship was going to be called the USS Picard, but I guess he would not have wanted that.  So is Ensign Jaaaaaaaaaccck still going by Crusher or is he now a Picard?  So Jean-Luc's trial is over now, Q is going to f*ck with Jack's life?  NOW I feel sorry for Jack.  At least he has Sidney LaForge to pal around with!

So is this finally the End of the Borg as we knew them? I don't want to see them anymore. 

7 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I was tickled that Philadelphia, PA is still around in the Future! My stomping grounds!  I'm sure they worked feverishly to clean up the mess the Borg left behind in the year.  I'm especially glad that they cleaned up the fallen ship graveyard. I never understood leaving the debris of great battles in space when you have the capabilities to retrieve everything left from the fallen ships. It may mean everything to the familes of those who were taken to have something to remember them by.

I'm down for a new Enterprise series or movie, since Jaaaaaaack will hopefully not be the center of it with his Q troubles yet to come.  I'm sure Seven will have plenty of reasons to not like Q.  As long as John DeLancie is down for more shenanigans!

Oh, and Terry Matalas also has to tell us what happened to Elnor. I liked him.  Soji is traveling with Wesley, so maybe we will see them in another Star Trek feature. Section 31 is getting the movie treatment now that Michelle Yoeh has gooten more expensive, so I can't wait for that.   

I was satisfied with this finale. Happiness beats frustration with the media I choose to partake in. They better give Discovery a decent finale...

Edited by Stardancer Supreme
  • Like 4
1 hour ago, rtms77 said:

I’m guessing the bad feelings between the actresses prevented it from happening.

Not at all.  They buried that hatchet years ago and do cons together.  I rather think that Kate Mulgrew knew it was a shit show and didn't want to join. They probably would have killed her off anyway like they did Ro and Shelby. 

28 minutes ago, Stardancer Supreme said:

I, too, am happy that none of the Original TNGers died. That Post Credit Scene... I instantly forgave this finale for not mentioning Kestra at all and not actually showing us Guinan giving the TNGers bombastic side-eye! (aaannd for not telling us who Geordi's wife is and where is Worf's son? Just a mention, guys!)   I startled my son with my hooping and hollering upstairs while he is in virtual class downstairs.

I'm down for a new Enterprise series or movie, since Jaaaaaaack will hopefully not be the center of it with his Q troubles yet to come.  I'm sure Seven will have plenty of reasons to not like Q.  As long as John DeLancie is down for more shenanigans!

Add me to the list of ppl who have unanswered questions   

Seven already has met Q when Junior decided to visit his Aunt Kathy.

• Like 10
  • LOL 1

Getting to the center of the cube... Return of the Jedi

Troi knowing where they are... Leia knowing where Luke was hanging in Empire Strikes Back😆

---

Everyone has been so taken with Picard: Q... the Borg in making him Locutus, the Ardra impersonator in TNG...

Almost like the past fascination with Kirk in his time

----

Clever that they blasted the cloaking device.

But now that all the 20 somethings have come back to their senses... Trauma? Guilt?

Federation better get more therapists working overtime.

---------

When will the trial end anyway?

• Like 6

I loved it! Of course the plot was whatever and it was incredibly absurd that somehow Picard and Jack have this bind that superseded the whole collective- because they spent a few hours together over course of a week? And yes of course the former Borg guy and the mutineer are now slated to have their own series because Starfleet loves to advance anyone who broke all the rules or has only been there 2 mins. Of course, of course.

But this show did nostalgia better than I have ever seen! Every member of the old TNG cast was superb in their lines, timing, being who they were on the old show. That's what this season was about, not really "Picard Season 3." It was a vehicle for a lovefest with the old crew and we got it. 

5 hours ago, Zaffy said:

Worf is a Star Trek treasure.
Someone please make 10mins webisodes with Worf interacting with members of the gang.

He is! Worf was phenomenal in this season. When Riker was all "Holy shit I had no idea this was so heavy!"...that was pure Worf before he even responded. Loved it.

• Like 6

I really enjoyed the series finale of “Picard” It had the right mix of action, story, sentiment, with a touch of Star Trek never really ends. Yes there will be nitpicking  it hit more then it missed and I love where everyone ended up.    I especially liked the Seven, Raffi, Jack on the same ship joke.  A pirate, a spy and a Ne’er-do-well.   Also really liked the Beverly Crusher shooting Torpedos and doing it extremely well.   And Data flying by the seat of his pants and Troi’s  line about sensing enjoyment.    

I thought the whole episode did what it was supposed to do and ended the saga  of Jean-Luc-Picard and his motley crew in near perfect fashion but left room for a new generation.  

Yes I would watch Seven as captain.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Like 13
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, Chaos Theory said:

Yes I would watch Seven as captain.

Me too, and not just because I have always loved watching Jeri Ryan, but she has evolved right into the role of a legit Starfleet Captain. The issue though? Jack as her drole consultant?? Come on, are they really planning a series where Jack sits next to her making quips and ironic suggestions while Q messes about somewhere aboard? That doesnt sound very appealing...

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 5
7 minutes ago, tv-talk said:

Me too, and not just because I have always loved watching Jeri Ryan, but she has evolved right into the role of a legit Starfleet Captain. The issue though? Jack as her drole consultant?? Come on, are they really planning a series where Jack sits next to her making quips and ironic suggestions while Q messes about somewhere aboard? That doesnt sound very appealing...

They could change that at any time.  It could be that no one knew where to put him and “next to Seven” was the quick and dirty way to get a nice final camera shot of Seven, Raffi, and Jack.   the pirate,  the spy and the never-do-well. 

• Like 4
1 minute ago, Chaos Theory said:

They could change that at any time.  It could be that no one knew where to put him and “next to Seven” was the quick and dirty way to get a nice final camera shot of Seven, Raffi, and Jack.   the pirate,  the spy and the never-do-well. 

True enough, just as they didnt let us hear her version of "make it so." I do think though there is a strong chance Jack would be the real star of said series, if they actually have a plan for it to revolve around Q messing with humanity again. 

• Like 2

Thank god that's over.

~75% of the dialouge in this episode was so cringe, it made me want to vomit.

On to the traditional list of stupid:

• How about you beam the Borg into the brig instead of the transporter room? Think that might be a good idea, 7?
  • "The Titan is still under the control of the collective. We have to find a way to disconnect this ship from fleet formation, before the find out we took it back." Um 7, you of all people should know what a collective is. The young people you just beamed away know, so the collective knows.
  • The fleet formation relies on visuals and without visual you can just do whatever? Really? Really? Also wasn't it established earlier in the season that all ships talk to each other regardless of distance? How can there be visual contact through lightyears of distance? You know why a lightyear is called a lightyear, right?
  • The Borg Queen was stranded somewhere where she couldn't get away from and couldn't assimilate anything. So she ate her Borg. But that changed because she started to hear Jack? How does hearing somebody give you interstellar flight? Am I taking crazy pills or are these writers?
  • The Borg used to be of the opinion that technology and organic material combined would make the perfect being. Now they think biology alone is better? That seems uncharacteristic and should have been explored more.
  • Borg Queen: "We've no need to devour raw materials, consume flesh or metal, not now that we can..." Picard: "Reproduce. Procreate." Borg Queen: "Propagate forever out into the stars." Oh my fucking god, these writers. The Borg could always, always, always "reproduce, procreate, propagate, whatever". In one of the first Borg episodes the Enterprise crew found Babies on board of a Borg Cube. They are born organic and get implants later. You know what is worse? The writers of Star Trek: Lower Decks, a comedy show, know that. But the writers of Picard have no idea.
  • How can Picard use the Borg organics-machine-interface he ripped out of Jack? He's a robot.
  • Borg Cubes are big, but they aren't so big that you can fly a galaxy class ship through them. They especially don't have that much wasted space.
  • They just ripped out Jacks implants on the way to the Bridge? Well, he's dead.
  • Saying "Guinan has given us the side eye for the last half hour" and not actually having her there is a pretty big insult. Why didn't she make a small cameo? Did Whoopy Goldberg take one look at season 2 and vowed to never be in Star Trek again? Can't say I'd blame her.

At least they semi-retconed Qs death, but since CBS extended the contract with Secret Hideout, it's not like we are going to get any good stories with him, so whatever.

• Like 8
  • Fire 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Peace 47 said:

I don’t really think of Orlando as a pop culture reference.

The place invented in, like, 1970? It's no Paris or Venice. Its inclusion was as a joke. Haha, isn't it funny to think of the tourist trap that is Orlando still be relevant in year 2500?

I think a better  haha, wink, wink moment might have been Troi saying she's always wanted to visit London. 

8 hours ago, AllyB said:

But even with earth itself not being attacked, many Starfleet officers aged 26+ were killed on the ships and everyone at space dock was presumably killed.

Using today's generational classifications, aside from Raffi and Seven (and maybe that TrueValue guy?), the only ones who lived were 7 boomers (or, rather, 6 boomers and an android who looks like a boomer) and Gen Z. Generations Millennials and X were wiped out. The title "The Last Generation," is much more apropos than possibly intended. 

Edited by Francie
  • Like 2
4 minutes ago, Chaos Theory said:

And this could be the Starfleet version of "We don't really know what to do with him, BUT we need to keep an eye on him. Let Seven babysit him." Who else to watch an Ex-B but another Ex-B? 

7 hours ago, AllyB said:

I don't think they ever fired on those cities. They were just gearing up to. For several very, very, very long minutes. But even with earth itself not being attacked, many Starfleet officers aged 26+ were killed on the ships and everyone at space dock was presumably killed. Which would have included any dignitaries on the dock for Frontier Day. Everyone at Starfleet, and probably everyone on earth who would have been terrified during the attack (and presumably there were killings on earth by under 25 year olds who'd been through the transportation system) would hate Jack. He wasn't even captured by the Changelings or the Borg like Picard was. He set off willingly to go to the queen, instead of taking even a few minutes to think about what might happen if he did exactly what earth's enemies clearly wanted him to do. He'll be even more despised than the last Ensign Crusher!

I think that if there is any residual hate towards the Borg invasion, it should be leveled to Admiral Beverly Crusher. It might not have gotten this bad if she only told Picard about his son twenty some odd years ago.  Starfleet managed to forgive Picard for being Locutus, and most of the folks who survived Worf 359 perished in this battle. If Jaaaaaack is now an Ensign, clearly no one is holding Vox against him publicly.  Does Jack still have his Borg powers? 

13 minutes ago, tv-talk said:

True enough, just as they didnt let us hear her version of "make it so." I do think though there is a strong chance Jack would be the real star of said series, if they actually have a plan for it to revolve around Q messing with humanity again. 

I guess they are saving it for the eventual series/movie. I need the future writers to make that a true ensemble Trek series and not focus on Jean-Luc and Beverly's boy when it happens.  I need adventures with Captain Seven, Raffaella, Crash, and the other ex-Titan crew. Let's keep Jaaaaaccck to a minimum, no less than 3 episodes total with Q hijinks, please!

• Like 8

Two things that will not make me give a spinoff series a shot - Q and Jack.  Like the Borg and Data, Q has been done.  Come up with something new - preferably not surrounding the most unnecessary character created Jack Crusher.  

• Like 7
15 minutes ago, Stardancer Supreme said:

Let's keep Jaaaaaccck to a minimum, no less than 3 episodes total with Q hijinks, please!

I wouldnt be surprised if they did something Voyager-like and had Q transport them to another time or some oddness that is the basis for an entire season or more.  Otoh, maybe the last scene was simply to get one last old timer in there as Q was such a big part of TNG and they had to angle him in some way. 

• Like 3

Having Q show up at the end makes me feel that everything that happened with Q in Season 2 was bullshit.  Isn't he and/or the Continuim supposed to be dead?  I know they did it to set up the premise of a new Trek series with Jack Crusher, but I'm sure if they did a poll, nobody wants it.  I didn't like his character at all.  Now if you want to do a Seven of Nine series - that I'm all for.  I personally think they should have had Wesley pop into his cabin at the end and introduce himself (and I'm not even a Wesley fan).  He did it last season and considering all the cameos they had this season, it would have made more sense.  He's the only original TNG member not to appear.  They even used a recording of Majel Roddenberry as the ship's computer at the end of the episode.

• Like 8
9 hours ago, PurpleTentacle said:

They just ripped out Jacks implants on the way to the Bridge? Well, he's dead.

Why did Jack have implants or cybernetic at all, since wasn’t the whole point of this organic assimilation (starting with Jack’s 20-something (lololol) generation) that implants weren’t necessary, due to the encoding of Picard’s DNA (which Jack already had), and Jack could therefore communicate with the Borg without implants?  I also don’t understand how Jack took over Sydney earlier this season of his own free will when it was stated again this episode that he was just a transmitter and conduit for Borg instructions, not really an initiator of instructions himself, but I may be parsing that one too closely.

9 hours ago, PurpleTentacle said:

Borg Cubes are big, but they aren't so big that you can fly a galaxy class ship through them.

I totally didn’t understand what was happening at the end.  Was the ship flying through an atmosphere inside the Borg cube?  There needed to be life support in the cube, so did the Enterprise just fly through a force field to get inside there and move around?

But I had no expectations for the plot in this episode based on the previous 9, so I was just taking in the characters and kind of giggling at the rest.

Edited by Peace 47
  • Like 4
21 minutes ago, Linda956 said:

Having Q show up at the end makes me feel that everything that happened with Q in Season 2 was bullshit.  Isn't he and/or the Continuim supposed to be dead?  I know they did it to set up the premise of a new Trek series with Jack Crusher, but I'm sure if they did a poll, nobody wants it.  I didn't like his character at all.  Now if you want to do a Seven of Nine series - that I'm all for.  I personally think they should have had Wesley pop into his cabin at the end and introduce himself (and I'm not even a Wesley fan).  He did it last season and considering all the cameos they had this season, it would have made more sense.  He's the only original TNG member not to appear.  They even used a recording of Majel Roddenberry as the ship's computer at the end of the episode.

Yeah. It would have been a nice touch to have Q and his son to round out the father/son theme on the finale.  I may watch this finale again; my memberberries are overflowing!

• Like 2
1 hour ago, tv-talk said:

Either they do a riff off of Lower Decks by making a new show around Jack with 7 rarley there, or they pull a Discovery and jettison 7 in the first season. I really hope neither of those happen. 7 is interesting on her own and has more than enough story potential to carry a series or movie. 

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Peace 47 said:

Was the ship flying through an atmosphere inside the Borg cube?  There needed to be life support in the cube, so did the Enterprise just fly through a force field to get inside there and move around?

Mr. Chat & I looked at each other and had the same thought: they're doing this Star Wars style.  

I was hoping to see Wil Wheaton, but it didn't seem that an appearance by him would make much sense.  Sigh.  Watching Data deal with all of his emotions was comical.  "Is he still batshit...? (Riker)

• Like 4
7 hours ago, Francie said:

Riker's near dying words: Me and my boy!

Me: This fucking guy. 

Especially since he was like "Yeah, there is no afterlife" a few episodes ago, but then he saw some space squid and that made him a fervent believer in space-Jesus, or something.

6 hours ago, rtms77 said:

The new Enterprise is not going to be near powerful as previous versions if the Titan A is any indication. I guess they couldn’t justify giving 7 such a ship. I’m hoping this is because the actual New Enterprise is still being built. 

Thing is the Titan used to be a kick-ass ship, as seen in previous Picard seasons and ST: Lower Decks. But then they retrofited it and made it way worse for some reason (the real reason of course being that these writers wanted it to be way worse than the shrike)? Maybe they re-retrofited it to make it not suck anymore.

6 hours ago, FloatOn said:

I don't want to ever hear about Jack Crusher or the Troi-Riker son (may he Rest In Peace) again. If we're getting a spinoff, just please let it be Seven, Raffi, and some unknowns. Count me out though if Matalas is in charge or involved. I don't think he can be trusted to write or oversee a show with women, POC, and queer characters and respect them.

I don't think he can be trusted to oversee anything. But our alternative, now that Secret Hideout got an extension, is Alex Kurtzman and that is even worse. The future looks bleak indeed.

5 hours ago, jmonique said:

Data's Traveler daughter.

That's 21. century Soong's daughter. Data's daughter is an ambassador to their robot planet in the federation.

Easy mistake to make since that whole family looks the same. Their family tree must be a trunk without branches.

5 hours ago, jmonique said:

That being said, I do find it interesting that they were able to shove that blonde Admiral in for the exposition dump last episode, but we couldn't get Wesley Crusher, brother to Jack Crusher, biological son of Jack Crusher the First and Admiral Beverly Crusher in for at least a Zoom chat at some point, but whatever.

He was in there last season. Probably enough. I'm more mad about pretending that Guinan was just off camera.

5 hours ago, greekmom said:

Meh. Jack as a borg. Who cares. And I dont buy that Picard was able to reach Jack with memories of a few days. That's utter bull.

They really should have sent Beverly down there, but can't send the woman into a dangerous situation (the 24th century is really quite sexist) and Picard has to have the lackluster faceoff with the Borg Queen. *yawn*

4 hours ago, rtms77 said:

And I was right as both Starfleet and earths transporters were affected since the young planet side were borgified

Were they? When was that said? Then why did the borg try to nuke the planet from orbit (it's the only way to be sure)?

Beverly is the new CMO of earth, yippee, here’s hope  she’s better at it than motherhood

*of Starfleet

That was an old picture, so I doubt it.

3 hours ago, KeithJ said:

One more edit because I just can't let things go:

https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/news-photo/gates-mcfadden-patrick-stewart-during-1988-kcet-in-los-news-photo/111172062

Premier of "Television" at KCET Studios

Gates McFadden & Patrick Stewart during 1988 KCET in Los Angeles, California, United States. (Photo by Jeff Kravitz/FilmMagic, Inc)

Impressive sleuthing. I couldn't find the original source.

1 hour ago, Linda956 said:

Having Q show up at the end makes me feel that everything that happened with Q in Season 2 was bullshit.  Isn't he and/or the Continuim supposed to be dead? 

He said "Oh, and here I was hoping the next generation wouldn't think so linearly." implying that for Q this is long before his death. Because time is just a suggestion to a Q. Of course then we have to question why he looks so old, as that was something he did to make Picard not feels so bad about his age.

I also wouldn't be opposed to just retconing season two of Picard completely. Just something Q made up to fuck with Picard a little and set him on the right path, but something that never really happened...

4 minutes ago, Chit Chat said:

I was hoping to see Wil Wheaton, but it didn't seem that an appearance by him would make much sense.  Sigh.  Watching Data deal with all of his emotions was comical.  "Is he still batshit...? (Riker)

And again, Troi shows that she is the worst counselor ever, apparently talking about her patients with her husbands. That's a massive breach of ethics. But "haha it's funny!" -_-

Edited by PurpleTentacle
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

I have to say, while I have run hot and cold on this season, I thought that was a pretty fun finale. Yes there are things that seem convoluted, dialogue that's too cheesy, and WAY too much time spent on Jack "Cousin Oliver" Crusher, but I still feel satisfied. It might be cheap nostalgia bait, but I did love seeing the old TNG crew get the big send off they deserved and seeing them all back together in a good place. The actors all still have so much chemistry and work together so well. The last poker scene, a much welcomed call back to the original series finale, was so filled with natural warmth, it was the perfect way to wrap up the story of Picard. We had action, we had some nice character moments, we had some funny lines, and I'm glad everything ended on a happy note. I was really dreading one of the TNG cast sacrificing themselves, so I was relived when we ended the episode with everyone alive and reunited. 

Loved Present Anton Chekov and that that got Walter Koenig to do a voice cameo.

I hope that this really is the end of the Borg, it makes sense to use them as the last big bad to close out TNG, but they have been so overused at this point that I am fine with never seeing them again. 

Picard has been such an interesting, weird show. Every season was almost a soft reboot, with a totally different plot only tangentially connected to the last season, with characters disappearing between seasons. Its really too bad that by now they've dumped almost all of the new characters we met in season one, the whole modern Trek franchise has a real issue with underusing characters, they are way too quick to write off characters before reaching their potential. The biggest through line is, of course, Picard himself, and he did have a solid arc at least. The whole show could be called "Picard gets his groove back" starting the show isolated and bitter and ending it reenergized, back with Starfleet, with his old crew back again. 

Stop trying to make Jack happen! He's not going to happen! I don't buy at all that Jack and Picard have such a connection that he was able to pull back from the Borg, they didn't even have enough scenes to fill their memory montage, and I feel like we still hardly know Jack. When Picard was telling Jack how he longs for connection but pushes people away, I was like "did you read that on his character bio?" because we didn't really see a ton of that beyond him being pissy and annoying all of the time. I am totally down for a Captain Seven show, but Jack being around does not exactly excite me. Focusing the end of the TNG era around this random 45 year old 20 year old is such a bad call, this season would have been so much improved without Jack, who has reached levels of Gary Stu that his big brother could only dream of, and he ascended to a higher plain of existence. 

"We will make it a threesome."

"Do you even hear yourself?"

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Like 8
  • Love 2
8 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

We will make it a threesome."

"Do you even hear yourself?"

As someone who always loved Data, Worf, and Geordi but found Troi completely useless and Riker a bit grating...I have to say I was pleasantly surprised with what Sertis and Frakes brought to their roles this time through. Troi was quite so annoyingly emo (maybe?), but Frakes...he generally seemed like a grown up Riker.  More relaxed, a bit less serious, and like a man who has lived a very successful life but learned some hard lessons along the way while still being happy in the moment- which I assume is what Frakes might be at 70. Less Jack and more Riker/Worf scenes would have been great, I am sure there is some stuff on the cutting room floor that is classic.

• Like 8
  • Applause 1

Full disclosure - I fell asleep shortly after the beginning. Woke up for all the emotional stuff at the end, rolled my eyes at the blatant tugging at heartstrings with the poker scene, had a wtf moment when 'young' Jack waltzed onto the bridge and got a seat as special whatever, felt mildly happy at Captain Seven followed by a deep sigh at the return of Q. Then I came here to check if I should watch what I missed, the answer is a clear 'nope'. Oh well, all the snarking was fun - I guess I'll see some of you again over at the Disco forum.

• Like 6
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 4

There were so, so many things wrong with this episode, but I have to ask: Where the hell did the Borg Queen get a cube? Their cube in First Contact was destroyed and they went to the past in a sphere. That was destroyed but not before they beamed aboard the Enterprise. There was no Borg vessels left at the end of the movie.

More importantly, why the hell was the Borg queen still around? Did they just dump her and her drones into space like some sort of garbage? If you weren't going to study the queen for intel reasons, at least beam the whole Borg discollective into the Sun! Don't leave them around - in the past! - like some demented Lego block hoping no one steps on it in the future.

Gates McFadden's delivery of, "A lot's happened in the last 20 years" amused me far more than it should have.

• Like 3
  • LOL 3
27 minutes ago, Cattoy said:

There were so, so many things wrong with this episode, but I have to ask: Where the hell did the Borg Queen get a cube? Their cube in First Contact was destroyed and they went to the past in a sphere. That was destroyed but not before they beamed aboard the Enterprise. There was no Borg vessels left at the end of the movie.

Unclear. I'm also not sure if this was the Borg Queen that was blown up in first Contact or the one the was blown up in Voyagers Engame. She seemed to be mainly pissed at Picard. But she also mentioned she was stranded somewhere at the edge of space with no resources and nothing to assimilate which would fit the Voyager queen better.

Also there is still the question how she got back from that empty part of space where she resorted to canibalism. Not even a bit of lipservice was given to that one.

• Like 5
2 hours ago, PurpleTentacle said:

And again, Troi shows that she is the worst counselor ever, apparently talking about her patients with her husbands. That's a massive breach of ethics. But "haha it's funny!"

I doubt that Troi would breach any confidentiality with Riker.  It was pretty obvious to everybody that Data was all over the map as far as his emotions go.  If Riker goes to see Deanna every single day and Data is there with her, well, the jig is up!  I think she's professional enough not to go into details with Will though.  

• Like 5
6 hours ago, Stardancer Supreme said:

I was tickled that Philadelphia, PA is still around in the Future! My stomping grounds! 

Maybe Kate Winslet can cameo as Mayor Of Easttown so all that accent practice does not go to waste....

• LOL 1

Good to know that even this far into the future, Orlando is a destination hotspot.  No matter what kind of world wars or craziness happens in the future, Disney will always make sure the Magic Kingdom remains supreme!  I'm now picturing Riker and Troi riding Space Mountain and being underwhelmed by it (really though, that ride would have to have a lot of updates to maintain quality compared to the real thing once space travel becomes the norm.)

A lot of stuff I could no doubt complain about; the rushed plots, cringey dialogue at times, the continued focus on a character I still don't really care about; but I still found myself enjoying this episode because apparently I'm just that big of a sucker for the Next Gen crew and am ruled by nostalgia.  But you can really tell just how much the OGs really do love one another and enjoy playing off each other, and it really does make all the weaknesses more bearable: at least for me.  And, to be fair, this season isn't alone in that aspect since they also carried the first two seasons of the original show, a lot of the final season as well, and some of the movies that failed to deliver.  When you got it, you got it, I guess.  Best reunion ever!

Plus, I'm just glad they weren't foolish enough to have one or more of them sacrifice themselves at the end, and everyone is still around and hopefully moving on to a better life.  Would have hated to have them bring the gang back, only to kill off some of them.  Hell, they did one better: they brought back Data in human form!

Still kind of surprised/bummed that they didn't work in Janeway somehow, but it was nice seeing Seven and Tuvok play off one another again.  Glad they also found a way to get one final Shaw sighting.

Was that Alice Krige in all of that make-up or did she just do the voice for the Borg Queen?  She didn't look anything like the one from First Contact (or the Voyager finale) at all.  Either way, I really do hope the Borg are done for.  Classic villains, but they are getting kind of overplayed at this point.

President Chekov was a nice touch.

Definitely getting some potential spin-off vibes with the new Enterprise and its crew.  I won't even pretend I won't watch as long as they have Captain Seven at the helm, but the focus on Jack could be tiresome.  Nothing against Ed Speleers as I don't think he's really the issue, but they really haven't been able to make me connect or enjoy him.  Although him now inheriting his dad's issues with Q is pretty hilarious!

Of course, what I really want is a Worf spin-off.  I heard they are planning on doing a Starfleet Academy show and I so want him to be one of the professors.  He and Michael Dorn really are the gifts that keep on giving.

All in all, this season was like almost all seasons of Picard: brimming with potential and had the ingredients to make it something special, but falling short due to various issues that sadly left a mark on the series as a whole.  But at the same time, I can't deny that it wasn't fun seeing Patrick Stewart (and the rest) reprise these roles and have fun with their final send-off (?)  Still wish it was better, but I won't deny that I still had some fun here.  But I guess we'll see what else NuTrek has in store for us!

• Like 5
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, tv-talk said:

I wouldnt be surprised if they did something Voyager-like and had Q transport them to another time or some oddness that is the basis for an entire season or more.  Otoh, maybe the last scene was simply to get one last old timer in there as Q was such a big part of TNG and they had to angle him in some way. 

So was Wesley and they didn't include him and Denise Crosby as Tasha (yeah we saw her hologram big deal) and Sela. But I guess TM can't be bothered. 

4 hours ago, PurpleTentacle said:

Thank god that's over.

~75% of the dialouge in this episode was so cringe, it made me want to vomit.

On to the traditional list of stupid:

• How about you beam the Borg into the brig instead of the transporter room? Think that might be a good idea, 7?
  • "The Titan is still under the control of the collective. We have to find a way to disconnect this ship from fleet formation, before the find out we took it back." Um 7, you of all people should know what a collective is. The young people you just beamed away know, so the collective knows.
  • The fleet formation relies on visuals and without visual you can just do whatever? Really? Really? Also wasn't it established earlier in the season that all ships talk to each other regardless of distance? How can there be visual contact through lightyears of distance? You know why a lightyear is called a lightyear, right?
  • The Borg Queen was stranded somewhere where she couldn't get away from and couldn't assimilate anything. So she ate her Borg. But that changed because she started to hear Jack? How does hearing somebody give you interstellar flight? Am I taking crazy pills or are these writers?
  • The Borg used to be of the opinion that technology and organic material combined would make the perfect being. Now they think biology alone is better? That seems uncharacteristic and should have been explored more.
  • Borg Queen: "We've no need to devour raw materials, consume flesh or metal, not now that we can..." Picard: "Reproduce. Procreate." Borg Queen: "Propagate forever out into the stars." Oh my fucking god, these writers. The Borg could always, always, always "reproduce, procreate, propagate, whatever". In one of the first Borg episodes the Enterprise crew found Babies on board of a Borg Cube. They are born organic and get implants later. You know what is worse? The writers of Star Trek: Lower Decks, a comedy show, know that. But the writers of Picard have no idea.
  • How can Picard use the Borg organics-machine-interface he ripped out of Jack? He's a robot.
  • Borg Cubes are big, but they aren't so big that you can fly a galaxy class ship through them. They especially don't have that much wasted space.
  • They just ripped out Jacks implants on the way to the Bridge? Well, he's dead.
  • Saying "Guinan has given us the side eye for the last half hour" and not actually having her there is a pretty big insult. Why didn't she make a small cameo? Did Whoopy Goldberg take one look at season 2 and vowed to never be in Star Trek again? Can't say I'd blame her.

At least they semi-retconed Qs death, but since CBS extended the contract with Secret Hideout, it's not like we are going to get any good stories with him, so whatever.

Yes Yes and more yes.  I forgot to comment about the implant in my original post. 

3 hours ago, Chit Chat said:

Wesley showing up would have made more sense than Q. Big bro giving little bro some advice about Starfleet and serving on a ship since Wesley was an ensign. 

Edited by greekmom
  • Like 10
  • Useful 1
11 minutes ago, thuganomics85 said:

Of course, what I really want is a Worf spin-off.  I heard they are planning on doing a Starfleet Academy show and I so want him to be one of the professors.  He and Michael Dorn really are the gifts that keep on giving.

Unless Q or Wesley help out, Worf would be dead ... This Academy spinoff happens in Discovery!Timeline with Tilly in charge...

• Useful 1