Type keyword(s) to search

Anticipation: You Have Been Accepted at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry

• Start Topic

It's official: Warner Bros. Discovery will be launching a Harry Potter TV series on their new streaming service, Max.

The plan is to have each season of the series tell the story of one of the books.

Here's an article about it in Variety.

“We are delighted to give audiences the opportunity to discover Hogwarts in a whole new way,” said Casey Bloys, chairman and CEO of HBO & Max Content. “Harry Potter is a cultural phenomenon and it is clear there is such an enduring love and thirst for the Wizarding World. In partnership with Warner Bros. Television and J.K. Rowling, this new Max Original series will dive deep into each of the iconic books that fans have continued to enjoy for all of these years.”

Max will produce in association with Brontë Film and TV, and Warner Bros. Television. Rowling will executive produce along with Neil Blair and Ruth Kenley-Letts. David Heyman is currently in talks to executive produce.

“Max’s commitment to preserving the integrity of my books is important to me, and I’m looking forward to being part of this new adaptation which will allow for a degree of depth and detail only afforded by a long form television series,” said Rowling.

• Useful 2

This feels really unnecessary.

Leaving aside the elephant in the room (ie JKR), the movies, while not 100 percent faithful to the books, were fine. It’s one thing to do a series for Percy Jackson because those movies flopped, but to redo Harry Potter after the movies were a mega hit? Yeah, no.  A prequel about the Mauraders would have at least been more interesting, let alone covered new material.

Look, I will always love Harry Potter despite everything, but I’m not interested in this. That’s just my opinion, I certainly won’t disparage people who want to watch it.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Like 12

It's supposedly to allow more of the book stuff left out of the movies to be included, but adapting novels to a TV series format would also necessitate changes.   Each episode needs some sort of arc so you can't just stage each chapter from the book straight-up.  

If they plan to be faithful, then each season should be longer than the last.  

I would have preferred a couple of mini-series instead, since the movies did miss out on a lot of the interesting history.  With each season exploring some of the backstories from the book, and each season could tell a separate story, but with some intersecting cast members.  A season with Dumbledore's origins, a season with Voldemort's origins, a season or three with the Mauraders coming to Hogswarts, and then a two seasons with the war after they graduate, ending with the birth of Harry Potter.  

But then again, "Fantastic Beasts" tried to tell past history but I really didn't enjoy the parts with Dumbledore.  He didn't even feel like the same character.  But then again, that era of history was not from the books, and JKR being involved didn't make the stories any better.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I'd much prefer a series about the founders of Hogwarts. We have just enough information about them for a decent outline and they lived so far back that it wouldn't really be able to mess with the present continuity much (i.e. McGonagall being a teacher in the "Fantastic Beasts" when she was actually too young from the timeline we were originally given).

• Like 6
  • Love 2

I just can't separate Rowling from it, in my head. Knowing she'll get paid for it, and I loved the books and most of the movies. I feel like this is overkill. I watched the second Fantastic Beasts movie on my birthday, last year, before I remembered that it was her work (my brain is all over the place now), and I didn't like the movie. The first one was cute, in 2016.  

And Max is a new streaming service? Or HBO Max? 

Edited by Anela
  • Like 7
  • Sad 1
17 hours ago, SilverStormm said:

I'll be watching, it always peeved me (pun intended) that Peeves wasn't in the movies, likewise the S.P.E.W subplot, among other things. Count me all in.

I'm definitely watching, and definitely getting pissed at all the things they got wrong or left out, just like the movies. 

• Like 3
  • Wink 3

I would have loved this a long time ago. I found the movies ok, mostly thanks to the great cast, but I kept complaining about things being left out and have always wanted a TV series instead.

But I am at a point that I've moved on from the books some time ago, plus all the stuff with JKR plus I wasn't impressed by the sequel or the Fantastic Beasts (well, the first one, I didn't care enough to watch the others). So, meh.

And I wonder if people are going to care when the movies and the actors are still very much on everyone's minds. We have spent 8 movies and 10 years with these actors as the characters not that long ago.

It's just too soon.

• Like 10
16 hours ago, JustHereForFood said:

I would have loved this a long time ago. I found the movies ok, mostly thanks to the great cast, but I kept complaining about things being left out and have always wanted a TV series instead.

But I am at a point that I've moved on from the books some time ago, plus all the stuff with JKR plus I wasn't impressed by the sequel or the Fantastic Beasts (well, the first one, I didn't care enough to watch the others). So, meh.

And I wonder if people are going to care when the movies and the actors are still very much on everyone's minds. We have spent 8 movies and 10 years with these actors as the characters not that long ago.

It's just too soon.

I have zero allegiance to actors or anything/anyone else, I'm here for the story, the whole story and nothing but the story, that's all. Another telling of a great story through fresh eyes - I'm there. And I'd've been there the following year if it had been made then, no such thing as too soon imo. It's not like something new overwrites the original, both can exist together. 

• Like 6

My initial reaction was ambivalence to this project - and I say this as someone who re-reads the series at least once a year, for going on ten years now. But I think as time goes on I am looking forward to it a bit more - but there are so many ways it could go wrong that I remain apprehensive. I will definitely be watching, but I don't know how much this series will add to the HP universe.

• Like 1

I definitely have caution about it, but that's no different to any adaptation of a story that I hold dear. Whether it succeeds in what it sets out to do, of course, remains to be seen. I'm don't view this as competition against what's gone before, but as additional content in the HP world being told via a different medium. It could turn out to be utter rubbish, or excellent, or meh; obviously I hope for the best and am excited to take the journey once more! Wheeeeeeeee! 

• Like 3

I think this is an interesting approach. Adapting the material once a generation in different formats could pay off (and I assume they've done their homework and know that there is still mileage in this). Usually nobody wants to touch the original version of the really big movies. With Star Wars movies, so they just extrapulated from there and built a megaverse. Nobody wants to remake Jackson's LOTR (yet), so they are tipping into Tolkiens other material (please redo The Hobbit!). On the other hand, rewriting with the same characters is basically what superhero movie franchises are based on. But going back to the same story? How very A Star Is Born.

In my opinion movies 1-3 were ok, but they lost me afterwards with what they didn't include, and the stuff that wasn't in the books. And it could be so much better visually now than it was 20years ago - look at Rings of Power (the visuals, not the story). Plus, unlike the movies they don't have to start production with the final stories not yet published - aka no excuses for bad writing and continuation errors!
Casting will be interesting, and the production schedule will be tough on young actors.

Edited by Aulty
soooo many typos
  • Like 4

I'm cautiously looking forward to it, but it will be very hard to separate the now-famous actors from the roles that made them famous, and JK Rowling.  Also, the scenery in the movies was gorgeous, and Hogwarts *is* Hogwarts.  How will all new sets, in addition to new actors, stack up?  I think it's too soon, but I reserve the right to change my mind if they actually pull it off.

• Like 4

I've been thinking more about this, and there are some stories from Book 3 onwards that I think I would like to see with a more leisurely pace.   It could allow the story to branch out a little, not just focus on Harry.  They could give a centric episode to Neville, for example (later on when the audience and Harry find out about his parents), and we could have a recurring character like Percy and explore how the relationship with his family plays out.  Even in the first season, they could even show events from a different POV... Like what was it like when Hermione and her family found out she had been accepted into this magical school.  The second season could have some longer extended flashbacks of Hagrid and Riddle at Hogswarts, which could be interesting.  Of course, the caveat is - if done well, and that would not be an easy feat.

• Like 3
21 hours ago, Camera One said:

I've been thinking more about this, and there are some stories from Book 3 onwards that I think I would like to see with a more leisurely pace.   It could allow the story to branch out a little, not just focus on Harry.  They could give a centric episode to Neville, for example (later on when the audience and Harry find out about his parents), and we could have a recurring character like Percy and explore how the relationship with his family plays out.  Even in the first season, they could even show events from a different POV... Like what was it like when Hermione and her family found out she had been accepted into this magical school.  The second season could have some longer extended flashbacks of Hagrid and Riddle at Hogswarts, which could be interesting.  Of course, the caveat is - if done well, and that would not be an easy feat.

Hm. I am still not sold, but if they include additional scenes of the Order and Death Eaters' meetings, maybe even some Hogwarts staff meetings where the teachers complain about the students, they might just win me over.

• Useful 1

I've long thought that a series would be a better way to tell the stories. I like the movies but they always felt so rushed and there were times where I felt like they had to sacrifice character development because of the run time.

One of the fun things about the movies was learning about which actors were being cast. I remember being excited when I heard that they cast Helena for Bellatrix.

Does anyone have an casting ideas or hopes for the series? 

I kind of like the idea of Ed Speleers as Sirius.

I would also, love love, love it if Lindsay Duncan could play McGonagall. 

Even though he's already played a character in the Potter world, I think Gary Oldman would make an awesome Dumbledore. 

• Like 3
On 4/13/2023 at 8:19 AM, Spartan Girl said:

This feels really unnecessary.

Leaving aside the elephant in the room (ie JKR), the movies, while not 100 percent faithful to the books, were fine. It’s one thing to do a series for Percy Jackson because those movies flopped, but to redo Harry Potter after the movies were a mega hit? Yeah, no.  A prequel about the Mauraders would have at least been more interesting, let alone covered new material.

Look, I will always love Harry Potter despite everything, but I’m not interested in this. That’s just my opinion, I certainly won’t disparage people who want to watch it.

Unnecessary is exactly how it feels. Similar to many of their recent decisions at 'Max' it seems to be more exploitative than creative or interesting. There are so many books and comics and games that have potential. Throw some money at them, take a risk.

• Like 7

Unfortunately, the driver will inevitably be dollar signs.  

I suppose another way to keep it fresh is to do what the original movie execs wanted - set the story of Harry Potter in America instead.  Then it wouldn't be limited to all those stuffy British actors.  The look of the series could be entirely different with a more modern, relatable universe.  Instead of owls, Hogwarts could send the admission letters by drone.  Change the characters up.  Maybe Hagrid could be Hagrinna instead, and she drives an e-bike.  Age up the characters so in the first season, they are aged 15 going on 25 to maximize the triangles.  Harry could be leaving his girlfriend behind when he goes to Hogwarts to add some romantic tension.  There could be a weekly guest star or musical act to increase the celebrity factor.  Instead of Ron enjoying chess, he could be playing Among Us all the time instead.  Forget Tom Riddle's diary... how about Tom Riddle's iphone instead?  The possibilities are limitless.

Edited by Camera One
  • Like 1
  • LOL 3
5 hours ago, Camera One said:

I suppose another way to keep it fresh is to do what the original movie execs wanted - set the story of Harry Potter in America instead.  Then it wouldn't be limited to all those stuffy British actors.  The look of the series could be entirely different with a more modern, relatable universe.  Instead of owls, Hogwarts could send the admission letters by drone.  Change the characters up.  Maybe Hagrid could be Hagrinna instead, and she drives an e-bike.  Age up the characters so in the first season, they are aged 15 going on 25 to maximize the triangles.  Harry could be leaving his girlfriend behind when he goes to Hogwarts to add some romantic tension.  There could be a weekly guest star or musical act to increase the celebrity factor.  Instead of Ron enjoying chess, he could be playing Among Us all the time instead.  Forget Tom Riddle's diary... how about Tom Riddle's iphone instead?  The possibilities are limitless.

Very CW

• Wink 1
On 4/18/2023 at 4:15 AM, Aulty said:

they lost me afterwards with what they didn't include, and the stuff that wasn't in the books.

Yeah, I'm still pissed about the Marauders, lol. 

I'm definitely curious.  I haven't read all the info so I don't know if the plan is out there - are they starting with the school or before?  It would be great to start with the fall of Tom Riddle; James/Lily and their time at Hogwarts; the rise of Voldemort and then delve more into the school with Harry/Ron/Hermione, without the character assassination of Ron.  Or even start farther back, with the building of Hogwarts and the four founders.   There are different stories to tell to lead up to Voldemort's fall.  Hmm.

Edited by raven
  • Like 2
8 hours ago, Camera One said:

Mr Bean Omg GIF

As a 'stuffy British' muggle, that idea sounds absolutely horrific and ghastly to me. The predominant charm of the HP world is that it is all so far beyond the lived experience of the muggle-world, and therefore, is not relatable in its essence. One could make the same argument for all similar style fantasy franchises; Game of Thrones, The Lord of the Rings, The Witcher, and The Wheel of Time as examples.

1 hour ago, raven said:

Yeah, I'm still pissed about the Marauders, lol. 

I'm definitely curious.  I haven't read all the info so I don't know if the plan is out there - are they starting with the school or before?  It would be great to start with the fall of Tom Riddle; James/Lily and their time at Hogwarts; the rise of Voldemort and then delve more into the school with Harry/Ron/Hermione, without the character assassination of Ron.  Or even start farther back, with the building of Hogwarts and the four founders.   There are different stories to tell to lead up to Voldemort's fall.  Hmm.

All I'm aware of is it's supposed to be one book per season.

• Like 4
  • Applause 2
14 hours ago, Camera One said:

I suppose another way to keep it fresh is to do what the original movie execs wanted - set the story of Harry Potter in America instead.  Then it wouldn't be limited to all those stuffy British actors.  The look of the series could be entirely different with a more modern, relatable universe. 

To each their own. For me, this would pretty much guarantee that I wouldn't watch. Maybe it's because I'm American, but I love the British culture aspects of the books. 

Also, so many of my favorite actors are British so I guess I don't see the "stuffy" downside to using British actors again for the series. To me it's one of the bonuses. 

• Like 8
23 minutes ago, Avaleigh said:

To each their own. For me, this would pretty much guarantee that I wouldn't watch. Maybe it's because I'm American, but I love the British culture aspects of the books. 

Also, so many of my favorite actors are British so I guess I don't see the "stuffy" downside to using British actors again for the series. To me it's one of the bonuses. 

Yes that was a wonderful aspect of the movies. 

• Like 2

I was just joking about turning Harry Potter American and British actors being stuffy.  😉

Though it would be interesting to see what Ilvermorny School (American wizarding school) was like, as well as Durmstrang and Beauxbatons... maybe in Season 4 we could see the latter two.  

• Like 3
  • Wink 2
1 hour ago, oliviabenson said:

I will be watching!

I don’t know who can be as good as Alan Rickman/Snape. Alan was wonderful as Snape. 

This is probably the only one I'd 100% agree with, but to be fair AR was sooo good. We can hope for someone good but perhaps not quite as good? We'll see I guess.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, oliviabenson said:

I will be watching!

I don’t know who can be as good as Alan Rickman/Snape. Alan was wonderful as Snape. 

I like Alan Rickman, but he was way too old for the role.

Maybe if this has to happen, they can cast more age-appropriate actors for the Marauder-generation. They don't have to be as young as in the books - a couple having a kid at 20 without it being an accident is nonsense these days, but actors in their 40's instead of 50's and 60's should be about right.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1

I am rooting for animation. No more actors who look nothing like the characters as they age. They could also choose a specific art style to separate it from the movies visually.

I mean hell with the kind of money they'll probably throw at this project, they could do stop-motion if they wanted to!

• Like 3
  • Love 1

I'm curious what tone they will take.  The first book/movie were more lighthearted, and of course they got progressively darker.  There has been quite recent children book adaptations which have leaned towards a darker lens, so it could go the same way.

With the whole series written, they could technically show events or backstories that we find out in later books right from the first season.

Edited by Camera One
  • Like 3

I'm disappointed that they don't just make a new story. I'm thinking about new kids going to Hogwarts. It will allow them creative freedom and for audiences to not know what will happen next. It wouldn't be a prequel so you also don't know where the characters end up either (problem with the Marauders or founders story).

And on a more controversial note, it would also open it up for them to cast whoever they want. No one could complain that they don't look the way they are "supposed" too. As they would be new characters with no descriptions predetermined. Sure, people will still complain but it will be way less.

Since that isn't what they are doing, I'll see how this goes. But I personally grew up with the movies so my standards will be very high. And I will compare it to the movies. I don't think these need to be made and hope that that prove me wrong.

• Like 2

So, I'm conflicted. I'm looking forward to new content (based on old content) and with the book content having time to breathe. I think that could be really cool. But there are certain elements from the movies that I think would be hard to see done differently, such as Hogwarts itself, the Hogwarts Express, the music, and certain characters/actors. For me, the movies brought the book world to life, and it's the worldbuilding that I'm most attached to in terms of the films. Whenever I rewatch the movies - and especially the earlier movies - it's not really for the story or the characters but for the world and atmosphere.

Probably an unpopular opinion, but I'm not attached to the main trio and really didn't care about kids saving the world until circa Order of the Phoenix and for sure the Deathly Hallows. The acting also got better then. Caveat...I wasn't allowed to read the books as a kid, ignored the hysteria as a teenager, only got into the franchise when Deathly Hallows Part 1 came out (as an adult), and couldn't stand any of it (books and movies alike) until the end of Goblet of Fire. I don't have a lot of nostalgia. A part of me wants to see fidelity to all the books, but the bigger part of me really doesn't care to watch seasons of 11-13-year-olds dumbly foiling Voldemort's stupid ploys. I liked Potter as a story when it got dark. So, yeah, I'm conflicted. But interested.

It would be really cool to see a season 1 or limited series about the Marauders and Voldemort's first rise, so long as it could be compelling on its own without messing with existing canon (e.g., it can be hard to develop characters without overdeveloping them beyond where they canonically ended, such as James being a dick). I'd rather watch the tragedy of 20-somethings James, Lily, and Sirius, with Lupin having lost everyone he considered family in a single night, than 11-year-olds outsmarting everyone. #getoffmylawn 😅

• Like 1
On 4/30/2023 at 10:00 AM, blueray said:

I'm disappointed that they don't just make a new story. I'm thinking about new kids going to Hogwarts. It will allow them creative freedom and for audiences to not know what will happen next. It wouldn't be a prequel so you also don't know where the characters end up either (problem with the Marauders or founders story).

And on a more controversial note, it would also open it up for them to cast whoever they want. No one could complain that they don't look the way they are "supposed" too. As they would be new characters with no descriptions predetermined. Sure, people will still complain but it will be way less.

Since that isn't what they are doing, I'll see how this goes. But I personally grew up with the movies so my standards will be very high. And I will compare it to the movies. I don't think these need to be made and hope that that prove me wrong.

A new cast of future kids at Hogwarts would work for me, as long as it wasn't the stupid story from Cursed Child.

I think Marauders would work as a TV series because even though you know everyone's ending, there is a lot of things we don't know about their time at school. But I think they don't want to risk having another "failure" like Fantastic Beasts. 

I am sure I will end up watching, even though I think it is too soon for a straight remake. Are we really that low on ideas?

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

My pitch would be to have the kids have nothing to with the OG characters other then living in the Wizarding world. So no curse child lol. At least not the main characters.

I've been watching All Creatures great & Small and Matthew Lewis is in a few episodes. So he's still acting. So he could then reprise his role as Professor Longbottom (if he was willing). And some of the other teachers could reprise their roles too. But having new characters would allow this to be guest star appearances or recurring roles.

• Like 2