Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E22: Love's Labor

• Start Topic

Shaun and Lea are heading to the delivery room and everyone from the hospital is also there, except for one very important person. Meanwhile, a tragic accident involving Drs. Perez and Kalu pulls everyone away, including Dr. Murphy.

Season finale

Original airdate 5/1/23

• Like 1

I knew that would be the name Shaun and Lea picked for their baby, and yet Shaun opening that gift from Glassman still got to me anyway. I hope this is the beginning of the thawing of things between the two of them. I want to see Glassman in full on grandpa mode :D. 

All the storylines got wrapped up pretty neatly this finale, really - Park and Morgan back together, Jordan and Daniel finally sharing a moment before he leaves, Shaun and Lea having their baby, Andrews announcing his resignation... Given some of the focus on Asher and Jerome's relationship this season, I half expected either a proposal or Asher telling Jerome he wanted kids, so I am a bit surprised neither of those things happened. 

Otherwise, a good way overall to end the season, though I do wonder how everyone will deal with Andrews and Daniel leaving. At least they've left the door open for them to stop in down the line, so that's something. 

Rough case with the family that lost the husband/father. His wife visiting him in the morgue was another moment that got me.

On to season 7, then!

• Like 5

Oh, hey, it's Sean Gunn!  I guess he had a few days to film this when his older brother isn't making him play some kind of CGI animal character in whatever comic book film he's got going on at the moment!  That casting alone made me figure out there was going to be much more to his character than just the initial patient's father, but I was surprised how quickly he died.  Hell, I feel like half of his screen time here was pretending to be dead on the morgue table.  Easy gig!  Fun appearance still.  Also always great to see Dan Lauria as the old military guy that inadvertently pushes Park into finally acting on his feelings.

Knew something was going to happen with Daniel after hearing Brandon Larracuente was leaving, but I'm glad he wasn't killed off at least and was able to forgive Jordan as well for going against his wishes to save his life.  But it sounds like he's going back to Texas and his family now, because he will really need the help to recover since he did have to take opioids again.  Addiction really can be brutal.  I can see him coming back though if they (or he) ever wants to.

Looks like they are prepping Andrews' exit as well since Hill Harper is apparently getting into the political game, from what I heard.  I do wonder if they'll at least get him back an episode or two to say some final good-byes if this does end up happening.  I also hope they don't go down the obvious route and have his potential replacement be a dick and a thorn in everyone's side.

Park and Reznick are back together.  Wish I could care more, but I feel like I'm missing an episode or two to really make this reunion feel earned.

Glad that the peanut was born and Steve seems to be a healthy baby with loving parents.  Glad Glassman gave him a gift at least, but I really hope he actually starts making steps towards trying to rekindle his and Shaun's relationship, because he's kind of coming off callous and cold right now.

Biggest question mark for me is what is going to happen with Jared since he really didn't have much to do here but he's almost treated like a regular character again and will still be sticking around, so I wonder if Chuku Mondu might be getting bumped back up to regular status next season.

All in all, not my favorite season of the show ever, but it was solid enough.  Outside of one or two things (mainly pertaining to Park breaking up with Reznick for the dumbest reason ever), nothing made me throw my hands up in frustration and I generally enjoyed all of the episodes and still like the majority of the characters.  That's pretty much all I ask for with this show.  See everyone next season!

• Like 3

I spent  most of the episode,  feeling  weepy. I think Freddie Highmore is such a good actor. He can make me feel something,  just moving his eyes. I'm so glad  the little peanut  was born healthy . 

I really  like Jared, I hope he doesn't  leave.

Glassman  will come around, he has a hat ready to wear.! 

• Like 8

Okay, I am shocked that we didn't end with any big cliffhangers - maybe since it's on the bubble (Since even though it is renewed.. networks have been un-renewing shows - and the WGA strike just started, so who knows what will happen)? 

1 hour ago, thuganomics85 said:

Also always great to see Dan Lauria as the old military guy that inadvertently pushes Park into finally acting on his feelings.

I always love seeing him! I never remember his name, though.

1 hour ago, thuganomics85 said:

Park and Reznick are back together.  Wish I could care more, but I feel like I'm missing an episode or two to really make this reunion feel earned.

Glad that the peanut was born and Steve seems to be a healthy baby with loving parents.  Glad Glassman gave him a gift at least, but I really hope he actually starts making steps towards trying to rekindle his and Shaun's relationship, because he's kind of coming off callous and cold right now.

Biggest question mark for me is what is going to happen with Jared since he really didn't have much to do here but he's almost treated like a regular character again and will still be sticking around, so I wonder if Chuku Mondu might be getting bumped back up to regular status next season.

All in all, not my favorite season of the show ever, but it was solid enough.  Outside of one or two things (mainly pertaining to Park breaking up with Reznick for the dumbest reason ever), nothing made me throw my hands up in frustration and I generally enjoyed all of the episodes and still like the majority of the characters.  That's pretty much all I ask for with this show.  See everyone next season!

I 100% agree with Park & Resnick - it feels like they wrote stuff in their head that never was put to screen. I think in the first few episodes of the next season, they'll reconnect. My prediction: Steve is keeping Glassman up with his crying, so Glassman knocks on the door to complain. Lea answers while holding Steve and stuff happens (Maybe the two of them start spending late nights together while Shaun is sleeping or at the hospital?).

I hope that Jared gets promoted to series regular - since none of the new people worked out this season!

This season was very uneven - but the second half was better than the first.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, bros402 said:

Okay, I am shocked that we didn't end with any big cliffhangers - maybe since it's on the bubble (Since even though it is renewed.. networks have been un-renewing shows - and the WGA strike just started, so who knows what will happen)? 

The show isn't on the bubble. The production is already schedulded to ramp up in July.

Writers strike will not cancel flagship shows.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Jim Marlowe said:

Well, it should. Not cancel, but delay until things get resolved. Solidarity is the only thing that keep workers the little rights they have in this country. As much as I think TV writing is poor, there could be many reasons for that. And the higher uppers keep making all the money even with bad writing, so in this case, I am with the lower paid people

• Useful 1

Hello Kirk and Arnold's dad. Too bad Kirk died. Oh well!

Was not shocked about Daniels leaving as I heard about it the day before. Shocked about Andrews and googled Hill Harper. Well good luck in politics. Now that Andrews is resigning, maybe Glassman gets the chair back as President and they bring in some new senior doctor.

We all knew that the baby would be called Steve. That was a given. 

Like everyone else, i am happy that they didn't end off in a cliffhanger like last season.  Oh well. Onto to October.

• Like 2

"You were okay sending me back to certain opoid addiction"

🙄 This show. You are not going to get physically addicted to opiods in a few days. If you are an addict of course there is always a chance of psychological dependence, but it's a lot lower if you are in pain and doctors are just giving you a level of drugs that makes you not die, because guess what, it's not going to be pleasent.

Of course dude believes in AA, so he might believe in all kinds of other bullshit.

Also these "doctors" are too dumb to know that the first course of action always has to be securing the crash site, so what did I expect?

• Like 4
  • Useful 2
3 hours ago, PurpleTentacle said:

Of course dude believes in AA, so he might believe in all kinds of other bullshit.

I know AA and NA have a very low rate of success but I also know people who did get help and were able to turn their lives around due to, they claim or believe, AA. I do wish TV would tell the truth and the nuances of the program. I also wish they didn't mixed the help people get from AA to a pseudo religious thing. Even though they say it is a "higher power", 99.99% of the people I know just use god as the savior, instead of a complex web of personality, comfort, relationships and everyday life events. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, circumvent said:

I know AA and NA have a very low rate of success but I also know people who did get help and were able to turn their lives around due to, they claim or believe, AA.

Very low is a bit of an understatement. AA doesn't have a better success rate than people just deciding to quit and doing it on their own. So in medical terms that would be "doesn't work better than placebo".

The thing is there are programs out there that do have better success rates than placebo, so if you already had relapses with AA, maybe try one of those, before doing again and again what clearly doesn't work for you and beating yourself up because of it?

I would hope that a doctor would know about the statistics of AA and other programs and as you said, TV should probably try to educate people, instead of promoting a cult.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 2
14 hours ago, dancingdreamer said:

. I think Freddie Highmore is such a good actor. He can make me feel something,  just moving his eyes.

He has had that ability from a very young age. Search and watch “August Rush” if you’ve never seen it. 

• Like 2
14 hours ago, dancingdreamer said:

Glassman  will come around, he has a hat ready to wear.!

He will come to terms with it. He still feels betrayed by Shaun (and embarrassed), but he is still a vital part of the hospital staff, as demonstrated by Lim’s kitchen consult. As more people turn to him for consult and direction, I think he will get over the sting of how he was pushed aside.  I felt sorry for him during that last operation-when Shaun was in the gallery and challenged him. Of course he had trouble collecting the next steps, as they showed the time in surgery to be in excess of 6 hours, quickly heading to 7! There are plenty of young, healthy, geniuses who can’t focus and perform even half that long without a break. He just needs to look at neurosurgery as one of the “long-haul” professions-after a certain age, you can’t continue to be the energizer bunny. 
Obviously, he didn’t want to enter with his gift when he saw so many staff in the room. I think eventually he’ll get a picture with all of them wearing their “baby caps”. 

• Like 2

All I think of seeing Dan Laurie is dad on The Wonder Years! He hasn't aged all that badly either. He's 76 now!

I agree about Freddie Highmore's acting level....why won't they give this guy an award already!? He deserved Oscars for his movies, especially when he was just a child! I expected him to get an Emmy for Bates Motel and now this is just plain overlooking him in the Good Doctor! Once I realized he was British, I think he's even better speaking in American accent and never wavering. That is truly a skill! I was literally it tears watching him act this entire episode. The killer scene was in the morgue talking to the dead guys wife. OMG!

• Like 10
46 minutes ago, circumvent said:

There was one ER episode that had a similar name - Love's Labor Lost  - or something like that. Why do I remember this? It is so old!

I think that episode was one of the most memorable ones from the entire series.  I remember being in absolute tears watching it.  Crying for Mark because it all went so wrong.  Crying for the husband who lost his wife.  Crying for the baby who would never know their mother.  

Freddie Highmore is a treasure.  As far as August Rush is one of my favourite movies (in spite of all the cliches & how truly unbelievable it is), it's because of his acting.  The absolute joy on his face during the guitar slap scene is something to be watched again & again (as is seeing Robin Williams' reaction to it).

I'm glad the season ended the way it did without any cliffhangers.  Actually, if Glassman & Shaun had figured out how to move forward in their relationship, it would have been a great series finale.   

• Like 5
2 hours ago, Mvnl said:

Hadn’t Danny been announced as a series regular for the next season? Or was that already a season ago?

He was announced earlier this year now he’s gone.  He did get another show sounds good on prime.  I follow him on IG 

• Useful 2
1 hour ago, Calibabydolly said:

I agree about Freddie Highmore's acting level....why won't they give this guy an award already!? He deserved Oscars for his movies, especially when he was just a child! I expected him to get an Emmy for Bates Motel

The fact he was never even nominated for, let alone won, an Emmy for that show...that will be one of those things I will still be ranting about when I'm old and in the retirement home :p. 

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
21 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

I was afraid they were going to do the “healthy baby delivered and then mom suddenly bleeds out” trope, leaving Shaun to raise the baby alone.

I don’t think Glassman is cold and callous so much as hurt. As he pointed out to Lim, Shaun did humiliate him. Surgeons, like pilots, have pretty big egos. I think it will take him some time to get over it, but he won’t stay mad at Shaun forever.

36 minutes ago, possibilities said:

Glassman could have avoided the embarrassment by agreeing to a cognitive assessment, so being embarrassed by being called out in the OR is his own damn fault.

Fault or no, embarrassment is still embarrassment.

• Like 8
13 hours ago, PurpleTentacle said:

"You were okay sending me back to certain opoid addiction"

🙄 This show. You are not going to get physically addicted to opiods in a few days. If you are an addict of course there is always a chance of psychological dependence, but it's a lot lower if you are in pain and doctors are just giving you a level of drugs that makes you not die, because guess what, it's not going to be pleasent.

Also these "doctors" are too dumb to know that the first course of action always has to be securing the crash site, so what did I expect?

41 years of HAPPY sobriety here, and I know damn well that taking a medication as directed - for its intended purpose - is NOT a frickin' relapse!  Guess what - I had two cataract surgeries a few months ago (and I'm loving my new eyesight) - and of course I had IV sedation.  Which consists of Fentanyl and Versed.  And, I still have 41 years of sobriety, because it was used as directed for its intended purpose.   I also had a morphine PCA pump for 5 days when my appendix ruptured and gave me peritonitis (1992), and one shot of morphine, in the hospital, during a severe angina attack.  It let me sleep and heal - and I'm still sober.

Back in the very early 80's, I had a recovered  alcoholic lung cancer patient who was dealing with severe nausea and loss of appetite from chemo, as well as the pain of his cancer (he had some painful bone mets, IIRC.)  Years before medical cannabis was legalized in my state (or any state for that matter), his oncologist suggest marijuana to counteract the nausea and be able to eat --- he was a very skinny, tall guy and really needed to keep up his nutrition.  Oncologist basically said screw the legality of it, do what works.  Again - as directed, for a medical purpose.  Far as I'm concerned, that dude died sober.  

8 hours ago, PurpleTentacle said:

• Like 7
  • Applause 4
  • Useful 2
8 hours ago, PurpleTentacle said:

Very low is a bit of an understatement. AA doesn't have a better success rate than people just deciding to quit and doing it on their own. So in medical terms that would be "doesn't work better than placebo".

The thing is there are programs out there that do have better success rates than placebo, so if you already had relapses with AA, maybe try one of those, before doing again and again what clearly doesn't work for you and beating yourself up because of it?

I generally don't bother to argue with naysayers - but the point of working  any program is not just to "not drink" - plenty of alcoholics can decide to quit and stay away for a long time or even forever if they want.  The point is to live a happy and useful life without wanting to drink/use drugs.  I'm quite content these days that if someone asks me, "Hey, do you know where the beer distributor is?" that I have no earthly idea, because I've lived in that neighborhood for months but I've never actually noticed it.  Just not a part of my life anymore.

And AA is the first to admit it's not the answer for everyone - in fact, AA has NO opinion on outside issues, including other programs/fellowships/strategies for recovery.

Anything that can keep us from harming others or killing ourselves (like I tried to last time I quit "on my own" for 18 months) is a winner in my book.  I suppose I could try staying sober on my own again - but why the heck would I want to??

Not cured of alcoholism ("cured" would be being able to drink "right", drink like a lady, control it, not drink "like that.") But "recovered"?  Oh, hell yes.

YMMV

And -- back to the actual show -- is anybody else as bored by Andrews/Dalisay as I am?  Good grief, NO chemistry between them, nothing interesting about them at all, even the union stuff is predictable and getting tedious.  And hasn't Andrews basically screwed his way through half the female staff already, or does it just seem like he has?  *Yawn*  Andrews can just leave already.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, CarpeFelis said:

Yes, but adults know how to handle embarrassment, and take responsibility for their contribution to a problem, and don't punish people they supposedly love, especially at critical moments, just because their egos are twinging, especially when it's their own damn fault.

• Like 4

I loved Shaun with the hats and getting one for Glassman.  Then saying your grandpa bought him the blanket. 

Everything is fresh and I think this progress. Glassman was going in and then changed his mind. 

I'm glad Daniel didn't die. I thought he was goner after the news of him going to the other show and off as series cc cast member on this this one. 

• Like 3
6 hours ago, PeteG said:

Hey everyone, Does anyone know the song being played at the end of the episode? 

thank you

According to Tunefind, it was “Are You Coming Home” by Aron Wright.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
22 hours ago, Jim Marlowe said:

The show isn't on the bubble. The production is already schedulded to ramp up in July.

According to SpoilerTV - it would be right on the edge of the bubble if it hadn't been renewed a while back

Also, uh, FOX just cancelled 9-1-1.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
4 hours ago, CarpeFelis said:

I don’t think Glassman is cold and callous so much as hurt. As he pointed out to Lim, Shaun did humiliate him. Surgeons, like pilots, have pretty big egos. I think it will take him some time to get over it, but he won’t stay mad at Shaun forever.

Would make sense if he wasn't this character who passed so much of his time, screaming at or hurting verbally, other people.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, bros402 said:

According to SpoilerTV - it would be right on the edge of the bubble if it hadn't been renewed a while back

Also, uh, FOX just cancelled 9-1-1.

What is this thing?

TGD released this year a spin-off and is one of the top rated shows on ABC. So no, it's not in the bubble or "on the edge of the bubble".

You want a show on the bubble? Just take a look at shows like Alaska Daily or Big Sky.

And Fox cancelled 911 not because the show was in the bubble (the show was the top scripted of the network), but because of the fees they had to pay to Disney. And without a surprise, 911 went directly to ABC (Disney).

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

The episode was above average, imo. Like someone comment above, the season didn't suck as much as past seasons I guess this is a plus.

I was even able to laugh out and ignore the "surgery right now" because I was impressed that they managed to have medical cases that seemed closer to reality, and then - boom! the "right now!" comes up.

Still, they manage to reinforce the silliness of the prescribed and supervised dose of opioid to save the life of a patient will throw said patient into a life of addiction misery. Oh show.

As for the WGA strike, it does't matter if a show has been renewed or not. The effects are not immediate. Some writers delivered their scripts before the strike so they have material to start working with. Shows will not likely be cancelled but there can be a huge gap with reruns. Plus, if other unions want to show solidarity, they could jin the writers and things get even messier. This week's episode of the podcast "Movies vs Capitalism" has a good summary of what is happening and what might happen, plus how writers are (mis)treated in the industry. Democracy Now also has a segment (yesterday's show)

The babies they picked for the real baby scenes are very cute.

• Like 2
13 hours ago, The Wild Sow said:

Anything that can keep us from harming others or killing ourselves (like I tried to last time I quit "on my own" for 18 months) is a winner in my book.  I suppose I could try staying sober on my own again - but why the heck would I want to??

The point is not to do it alone, the point is to find an organisation that actually has a better success rate than doing it alone. Which AA doesn't qualify for.

I'm glad it worked for you, but statistically it doesn't work better than doing it alone.

I think it is important to raise awerness of that fact, because a lot of addicts probably don't know that and blame their continued failure on themselves, rather than the ineffective program they are part of. This misconception of AA having statistically significant sucess is even so far spread that judges will order people to take part in meetings.

That's not even going to mention that it's clearly a religious cult.

• Applause 1
  • Useful 1

What organizations do you recommend, and can you provide a reference for how success rates are determined? I'm not resistant to the idea, just looking for more info.

I have known a LOT of people who were in the various anonymous programs, and pretty much that's the only program anyone I know  personally has used. The only other ones I've even heard of are extremely expensive fancy detox inpatient places that only movie stars can afford, and I have no idea what their success rate is or what those programs entail other than keeping you locked up where there is no substance available until you physically detoxify.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

There was a show that ran for only two seasons and it was excellent - and had Benjamin Bratt as a bonus - that kind of mentioned the failure rates of such programs, if I recall well. The name was The Cleaner. Basically he did a forced detox on people and tried to get them going. It was based on a real guy and it was interesting. 

I have heard that those big fancy places that celebrities go to is just a money drain. There is no real program, it is all for show. The Betty Ford is the oldest I believe, but I don't know what they do or if it is successful. They claim 80% but I am skeptical. They also have a problem with accessibility. 

I think that whatever people seek, it  will only work if all the pieces fall in the right place, and there are too many pieces that need to fall in the right place, including personality and emotional support from family/friends. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
5 hours ago, possibilities said:

What organizations do you recommend, and can you provide a reference for how success rates are determined? I'm not resistant to the idea, just looking for more info.

I don't think there are national or international programs. You'll have to find something locally and do some googling. Maybe they even publish their success stats, unlike AA, NA, etc. That is of course a big problem, with AA sucking up all the attention and funding in the US and is going to be hard if you are currently in a bad place anyway, I know.

I know a few organisations in my area, as I have some contact with them in my role as a social worker. But that isn't going to help anybody here. Maybe there are some social services in your region where you can ask for recommendations?

A good first check once you find something would probably be "do they tell me that I'm powerless and have to give myself over to god"?

3 hours ago, circumvent said:

I think that whatever people seek, it  will only work if all the pieces fall in the right place, and there are too many pieces that need to fall in the right place, including personality and emotional support from family/friends. 

There are still programs that actually work and those that don't work better than placebo. Of course nothing will work for everybody, but that doesn't mean you should take the low odds.

• Useful 1

I don't personally need a treatment program, so I would not feel right calling around looking for one, but if anyone has info about groups with websites, I'd love to learn more about what programs people find helpful, just because that's interesting to me. 

I'm also pretty sure the only ones getting recommended locally are the Anonymous ones, because everyone I know or even hear about 2nd hand gets funneled through those, and I've literally never heard of anyone even trying anything else.

I have an ex who hated AA and would rant about it endlessly, but she also never found anything else that worked for her, so I think it's not that easy to find other options. 

If we continue this conversation, we should probably take it to small talk. I don't even know if we have a small talk thread but most shows do have one.

Also, fwiw, I just did a two second web search and found this:

https://alcohol.org/alcoholics-anonymous/alternatives-to-the-aa-approach/

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
22 hours ago, The Wild Sow said:

And -- back to the actual show -- is anybody else as bored by Andrews/Dalisay as I am?  Good grief, NO chemistry between them, nothing interesting about them at all, even the union stuff is predictable and getting tedious.  And hasn't Andrews basically screwed his way through half the female staff already, or does it just seem like he has?  *Yawn*  Andrews can just leave already.

The only person I can think of Andrews dating was Salen, who isn't even there anymore. He was married for the first few seasons.

But yes, he and the nurse and very boring.

• Like 1
22 hours ago, Jim Marlowe said:

What is this thing?

TGD released this year a spin-off and is one of the top rated shows on ABC. So no, it's not in the bubble or "on the edge of the bubble".

You want a show on the bubble? Just take a look at shows like Alaska Daily or Big Sky.

And Fox cancelled 911 not because the show was in the bubble (the show was the top scripted of the network), but because of the fees they had to pay to Disney. And without a surprise, 911 went directly to ABC (Disney).

Sites like spoilerTV come up with their own methodology to guess as to whether or not something will be cancelled or not (Or if it is on the bubble. I believe Spoiler's is based on live, 18-49, and the +7 - they also factor in stuff like day of the week it airs and network. They tend to be pretty accurate with if something is going to be renewed or cancelled - and they were almost perfect last year.

Although we no longer have the best predictor of cancel/renew, the Cancellation Bear (RIP).

It's good that the show got renewed, but I am was just wondering out loud if the WGA strike could potentially affect it - especially if it lasts longer than the 2007 strike (which I was reading is the prediction - longer than 2007, shorter than 1988)

• Like 2

7 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

The only person I can think of Andrews dating was Salen, who isn't even there anymore. He was married for the first few seasons.

But yes, he and the nurse and very boring.

He flirted a bit with the nurse in Guatemala.

It's a shame she wasn't the one they brought back in San Jose, the  2 actors seem to work well together and at least the actress wasn't a nutjob like the actor who played Mateo.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, bros402 said:

Sites like spoilerTV come up with their own methodology to guess as to whether or not something will be cancelled or not (Or if it is on the bubble. I believe Spoiler's is based on live, 18-49, and the +7 - they also factor in stuff like day of the week it airs and network. They tend to be pretty accurate with if something is going to be renewed or cancelled - and they were almost perfect last year.

That's just random people playing like others are playing with stock exchanges. Not based on informations, only guessing with the rule of the thumb.

And concerning the strike, Shore and some of the main writers were picketing yesterday. So, like every show on broadcast, TGD will come back when the strike is over and they had enough time to wrap new episodes. The show was not on the bubble or on the verge of cancellation and the strike will not force ABC to do so.

• Like 1

When I first saw the name of this episode, I was immediately reminded of the phenomenal Love’s Labor Lost episode from ER. One of the best pieces of TV I’ve ever seen. I’m so glad TGD left off “Lost” so there needs no comparison. 

I’m disappointed Dr. Glassman and Shaun didn’t reconcile before or right after the birth. I really wanted to see Grandpa in his hat. 

Baby Steven is beautiful. 

• Like 1
(edited)

Glassman is being a child about this, I cant believe he cant even suck up his anger to meet his grandson. I get that this is rough and that he feels like Shaun betrayed him, but Shaun tried to talk to him about this problem, that he now officially knows he has, and he wouldn't listen. He of all people should know that you cant take the people you love for granted and that you need to cherish those special moments, he's going to regret not being there to meet baby Steve on the day of his birth one day. At least he sent the blanket, I'm sure they'll reconcile soon. 

Baby Steve is such a cutie, Shaun and Lea really were both glowing. "My name is Doctor Shaun Murphy, and I am your dad." I could understand Lea's fear about actually giving birth, they were so focused on carrying the baby to term after a difficult pregnancy and a miscarriage in the past that I can imagine Lea wouldn't have really thought as much about actually having a kid, that's a whole different thing. I know that shows having kids can be hit or miss, but I actually am quite interested in seeing Shaun and Lea as parents. Lots of great acting, Freddie was great as always. 

I guessed that as soon as the dad kept saying they needed to look at his kids and not him that something was wrong with him internally. That was a rough one, the wife seeing her husband and crying was hard to watch, I guess we had to have one more sad story to end the season on.

We ended the season wrapping up a lot of threads, but without the cliffhanger drama that we often get for season finales. Park and Morgan are back together with Morgan's new baby, Shaun and Lea have their baby, Andrews is leaving, as is Daniel but not before she and Jordan have a moment, and Glassman has at least taken steps to move past giving past surgery and making up with Shaun. I figured we would lose a few people but I was surprised that Andrews is leaving, I hope that he can get a bit more of a sendoff after being such a major character for so long. I'm glad that neither of them got killed off and are just heading out to something new, its a welcome change from all the drama. Not a perfect season, but a pretty good one with a lot of good episodes and nothing that really drove me nuts, so not bad. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Like 4
21 hours ago, bros402 said:

Although we no longer have the best predictor of cancel/renew, the Cancellation Bear (RIP).

It's good that the show got renewed, but I am was just wondering out loud if the WGA strike could potentially affect it - especially if it lasts longer than the 2007 strike (which I was reading is the prediction - longer than 2007, shorter than 1988)

I know some shows started writing episodes for next season earlier, anticipating a possible strike. Quantum Leap was doing that. So if shows have scripts banked, they could still start production on schedule. But they also may not if they only have a handful of episodes and may need to stop production again.

I am more worried about 3+ months of no late night TV.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

So if shows have scripts banked, they could still start production on schedule.

It doesn't work like that.

Your script is banked, great.

Now, you have to organize a table-read with actors, writers, producers and heads of department.

And one of the reasons table-read take place is to spot major weaknesses in the script, everything which will need... a rewrite.

So without writer (because writers strike), banked scripts only mean that the show/movie is gonna be stuck at the following stage in pre-production.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Jim Marlowe said:

So without writer (because writers strike), banked scripts only mean that the show/movie is gonna be stuck at the following stage in pre-production.

In theory, but if they were desperate they could try and film with what they have and no option to rewrite (I doubt they would, but they must be considering all options or networks wouldn't have had shows start writing scripts early). Or they could send the scripts to other departments to start on stuff like costumes and sets so that they can move faster when the writers are back.

The bigger problem is most showrunners are also writers, and I would think that makes it very messy. 

• Like 1

I know that he is not everyone's favorite, but I love Glassman since I have a soft spot for grumpy old men.  As I am sure many people do, I happen to have one in my life, and I firmly believe everyone needs one!  

• Like 3

So 2 things:

with the car accident and the daughter with the spleen, what was the weird vibe with the mother in the ER? Even the doctors were kind of taken aback.  then she seemed normal, under the circumstances, when her husband died?

i am getting a little annoyed with lea and shaun referring to glassman as 'father' and 'grandfather' so literally.  I get that's been his role and the relationship has evolved that way, its just sounding off already.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1