Type keyword(s) to search

Summer Baking Championship - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 6/19/2024 at 12:50 PM, Splashy said:

Green Mickey Mouse, BB8, wonky snowman -

Yeah, it looked terrible. I liked the vivid green color against the dark blue, but really, it was unnecessary. Or he could have made it much smaller. 

Was this really the first twist? I soooo didn't miss it all this time.

The twist was using prickly pear.    I think the decoration for the theme was similar to the early challenge with the sea creatures in the gelatin.  

• Like 2
1 hour ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

The twist was using prickly pear. 

Yes, I know. I changed the subject; sorry, I guess I didn't make that very clear 😜

So we're down to 4 bakers. I just checked the schedule and it looks like it will be 2 more episodes. I know sometimes they send the last 4 to the finale with a bake-off between 2 of them. I'd rather have a regular episode with an elimination leaving 3 for the finale. I wonder if we will have some no-elimination-shenanigans next week and will have all 4 in the finale on July 1?

• Useful 3

I'm glad that everyone else could only see green Micky Mouse on Chris's cake, he should have rolled that out during Disney cruise week, not for this one. Honestly I thought a lot of the designs were surprisingly sloppy, those cookies looked like something that I could create (and I'm NOT a good designer) and that cactus on the starry night cake made me sad. Such a gorgeous design that you could hardly see because of that big awkward cactus thing. Its lucky for the bakers that the judges have been judging by taste over looks a lot this season. 

Rob and Chris continue to be the standouts, goofy Mickey's not withstanding, but I could also see Stephanie taking the prize home. 

• Like 6
  • Applause 1

Shark Week Sweets " 6/24/2024 New, semifinals

Four bakers : Rob, Dominick, Chris, Stephanie.  

From my cable guide: Host Jesse Palmer celebrates Discovery's Shark Week with a semi-final challenge to craft shark bite cookie bars in the shape of beach items, and then protect their sweets from the majestic Great White by making shark cage desserts.

Quickfire-Shark Bite Cookie bars shaped like beach items.  The cookies need to have a shark bite taken out of them.    They also need a crunch layer. 

Chris-Sunglasses, Lemon Meringue-Looks spectacular, Sunglasses are a homage to Carla's glasses.   Taste is crunchy, and summery. Duff says underbaked a bit. 

Dominick-Flip Flop, Coconut Cashew-(Jesse reminds Dominick to do a rounded toe flip flop, not a toe/foot looking one like Rob did).  The 'bite' looks pathetic.  Bite looks like a nibble, and not enough color in the decorating, 

Rob-Surfboard, Ginger Lime-Looks fantastic. Judges like the decorating, taste is good, not great. Not enough crunch. 

Stephanie-Beach Ball, Chocolate Strawberry.  Bite is clear.  Judges say it's great, and crunchy.   Duff says needs more strawberry.  

Winner is: Stephanie (her first quick fire win). 

Elimination challenge- Shark Cage desserts, any dessert you want, but has to be entirely enclosed in a cage that's edible, and a separate edible shark. 

Twist is blood orange added. 

Chris-coconut, pineapple, entire shark chocolate cage with a big shark fin.  Judges love it, except Carla who says cake is dry.    

Rob-strawberry with basil, silver cage with an entire shark.   Judges love the cake and cage.   

Stephanie-Orange Vanilla gelato, with a cage, and a shark fin.  Carla says cage is messy, Damaris says shark element is barely a shark and she's right.  Judges say the gelato is delicious. 

Dominick-Paris-Brest ring cherry pistachio, cage is only on the top of the ring. Duff criticises the Paris-Brest, Judges don't taste the blood orange. 

Winner:   Rob. 

To the finals: Rob, Chris, Stephanie, 

Send home: Dominick.

• Like 7

The best part of that episode was Dominick's expression when the shark burst through the backdrop.  It looked so real that I could see why it gave him a momentary start.  LOL

I wanted Rob and Chris to go to the finale and was sort of indifferent to the other two although I liked Dominick better.  He just got by several times because someone else did worse so I couldn't feel bad about his elimination.

I hope Rob can finsh strong and win.

• Like 9

I've only watched a couple episodes (but I don't mind being spoiled). You mean Dominic was STILL HANGING AROUND? I figured he must be long gone by now. He's had some really horrible bakes but only snuck by because someone was worse. 

• Like 6

They pretty much telegraphed Stephanie's win in the quick fire but since she hadn't gotten to use the cool kids kitchen I'm not surprised.  I was also not surprised that Dominic was sent home although to be honest I figure it was pretty close.  Stephanie's looked bad but she apparently makes a mean gelato.

Hopefully Rob's shark looked better in person.  I know he said he put luster dust on it but it couldn't be seen on camera.  I did think his cage was the neatest. 

Hoping for a Rob win but none of the final 3 are unpleasant people and they've all produced good bakes.

• Like 16
1 minute ago, RoxiP said:

They pretty much telegraphed Stephanie's win in the quick fire but since she hadn't gotten to use the cool kids kitchen I'm not surprised.  I was also not surprised that Dominic was sent home although to be honest I figure it was pretty close.  Stephanie's looked bad but she apparently makes a mean gelato.

Hopefully Rob's shark looked better in person.  I know he said he put luster dust on it but it couldn't be seen on camera.  I did think his cage was the neatest. 

Hoping for a Rob win but none of the final 3 are unpleasant people and they've all produced good bakes.

I did think his shark was underwhelming, that is why I don't get how the made that comment about the one Dominick made. And Stephanie's fin was pretty bad. 

• Like 4
6 hours ago, dleighg said:

I've only watched a couple episodes (but I don't mind being spoiled). You mean Dominic was STILL HANGING AROUND? I figured he must be long gone by now. He's had some really horrible bakes but only snuck by because someone was worse. 

He should have left a long time ago. I think either of the three remaining bakers can win it's nice to know there isn't a clear favorite.

• Like 8
  • Applause 3

Domonic has been hanging by a thread for awhile now, he seems perfectly nice and is a talented baker but I am glad that Stephanie is the one going to the finale. I like all three of the finalists, they all seem very likable and have all had good bakes. I would be happy if any of them won, even if I am partial to Stephanie as an underdog. 

Stephanie's first bake looked and apparently tasted delicious, but that second shark fin looked sad, it was so obviously pasted on at the last minute. Good thing her gelato was amazing, I would also overlook a lot for a nice bite of gelato. 

Rob's cage cake looked good but his shark looks like he needed to take a bigger bite. That shark that popped out behind Jessie was adorable. 

• Like 4
8 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

Domonic has been hanging by a thread for awhile now, he seems perfectly nice and is a talented baker but I am glad that Stephanie is the one going to the finale. I like all three of the finalists, they all seem very likable and have all had good bakes. I would be happy if any of them won, even if I am partial to Stephanie as an underdog. 

Stephanie's first bake looked and apparently tasted delicious, but that second shark fin looked sad, it was so obviously pasted on at the last minute. Good thing her gelato was amazing, I would also overlook a lot for a nice bite of gelato. 

Rob's cage cake looked good but his shark looks like he needed to take a bigger bite. That shark that popped out behind Jessie was adorable. 

I can't snark a lot on Dominick because he seems like a really nice guy and he is still a good baker. He just can't manage time very well. 

• Like 14
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Stephanie's first bake looked and apparently tasted delicious, but that second shark fin looked sad, it was so obviously pasted on at the last minute. 

What was the real shame there was that Stephanie had all those special shark molds that no one else could use, and she still came up with that.

• Like 16
  • Applause 1
2 minutes ago, Rammchick said:

What was the real shame there was that Stephanie had all those special shark molds that no one else could use, and she still came up with that.

I looked at the molds and they didn't appear to be particularly impressive. 

• Like 4

I’ve noticed that alot in these competitions-whichever baker wins the ‘helpful gadgets’ always biffs the decorating. I knew as soon as she won those that Stephanie’s decorations would be subpar.

I liked everyone this year, but wasn’t blown away by anyone’s decorating.  The finishes this season were always messy and kind of amateurish.  Better than I could do, of course, but I never got excited to see what anyone would come up with. 

This last challenge had too many parameters-cage, shark outside the cage and surprise! Blood orange! I don’t think you can say “the bakers were allowed to make anything they wanted..” with such a big bunch of “but”s added on. 

• Like 18
(edited)
16 minutes ago, Pi237 said:

I liked everyone this year, but wasn’t blown away by anyone’s decorating.  The finishes this season were always messy and kind of amateurish.  Better than I could do, of course, but I never got excited to see what anyone would come up with. 

I feel the same. Past seasons of baking championships have been better. Even the frontrunners aren't quite there. Maybe it is the time constraints because overall, the twists haven't been that bad. 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Like 9
22 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

Dominick's shark looked cartoonish but Robs looked anemic. 

I thought all 4 sharks/fins looked kinda pathetic. But I did like that Rob made a hammerhead. That was quick thinking (when the cage top broke) to make it look like the shark was trying to get in. 

7 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

I can't snark a lot on Dominick because he seems like a really nice guy and he is still a good baker. He just can't manage time very well. 

Yes, he seems very sweet. The flavors in his pre-heat flip-flop cookie bar sounded delicious, even if it didn't look very interesting.

Re: lack of good decorating - I think it's definitely a time issue. Anything baked has to cool off before you can really decorate it, and they're given so little time to begin with. It stresses me out while I'm watching! Yes, there's the blast chiller, but I could see a situation where the outside of something would cool off, but the inside would still be warm. That would suck.

• Like 10
  • Useful 1

They need to give them more time. It’s not exciting to me to when they do the ‘30 minutes!’ ‘10 minutes!’ stuff. The drama for me is seeing the end result and if the judges like the risks they take. When they brought the twists back, I actually groaned. Make them all have to do the same technique. That might be more suspenseful than trying to shoehorn in a flavor when we can’t actually taste anything. 

• Like 11
  • Applause 3
11 hours ago, Pi237 said:

They need to give them more time. It’s not exciting to me to when they do the ‘30 minutes!’ ‘10 minutes!’ stuff.

And then they get dinged by the judges when their bake isn't nicely decorated despite the ridiculous time constraint.  There's no justice to this.  

• Like 9
22 hours ago, Pi237 said:

They need to give them more time.

I'd like them to try a 2-day challenge for the finale of any of the Championship series shows.  12 hours over 2 days, 6 hours per day or something like that.  A scenario when we really can see people pull out all the stops...and/or have time to attempt a recovery if disaster strikes.

• Like 15
22 hours ago, Ohmo said:

I'd like them to try a 2-day challenge for the finale of any of the Championship series shows.  12 hours over 2 days, 6 hours per day or something like that.  A scenario when we really can see people pull out all the stops...and/or have time to attempt a recovery if disaster strikes.

I like that.  One day to bake, second day to decorate.   And stop with the twists, or tell them when the challenge is announced.  

• Like 12

This is one of the few times I think a bake-off for the 3rd spot would have been acceptable. I was more shocked they eliminated someone instead of doing the "you will both stay and go head to head" they have been doing. However, it seems this version is kind of the lowest in terms of importance for the Baking Championships shows.

If Dominick had made a smaller version he could have focused more on flavors and the little things. I think his was more impressive in terms of what he did. Or maybe just more ambitious, but execution was lacking.

Stephanie's tasted better though. It looked a mess. That cage was not it and the shark element was bad. She just made a gelato and a jelly square. 

I am happy Chris made it into the Final 3. He was on an episode of Sugar Rush: Christmas and I have a soft spot for him.

• Like 4
On 6/25/2024 at 11:47 PM, Pi237 said:

They need to give them more time. It’s not exciting to me to when they do the ‘30 minutes!’ ‘10 minutes!’ stuff. The drama for me is seeing the end result and if the judges like the risks they take. When they brought the twists back, I actually groaned. Make them all have to do the same technique. That might be more suspenseful than trying to shoehorn in a flavor when we can’t actually taste anything. 

I wish Jesse wouldn't talk to the bakers while they are working. The twists are the worst since they throw the bakers off their game plan and the flavors don't sound good.

• Like 3
  • Applause 3
  • Love 1

Although I understand what you are saying about Jesse not talking to the bakers I think it would make the show extraordinarily boring...and I suspect that they are being talked to the entire time they are baking by offscreen people - I mean - in their day-to-day baking world I doubt they explain what they are doing out loud step by step.  The Jesse interludes are probably the least intrusive of the interruptions that I suspect they have to contend with while they are baking.

• Like 9
  • Useful 1
21 minutes ago, RoxiP said:

Although I understand what you are saying about Jesse not talking to the bakers I think it would make the show extraordinarily boring...and I suspect that they are being talked to the entire time they are baking by offscreen people - I mean - in their day-to-day baking world I doubt they explain what they are doing out loud step by step.  The Jesse interludes are probably the least intrusive of the interruptions that I suspect they have to contend with while they are baking.

And he is a lot less intrusive than Molly was. 

• Like 6
  • Applause 4
On 6/25/2024 at 3:01 AM, dleighg said:

Agreed. He should if been gone a couple episodes before...with his FIRST gooey production.

• Like 4

Jesse's jokes are horrible!!! But it makes it even funnier...especially the contestants reactions!LOL.

I like him as a host!

• Like 11
  • Love 2

Finale:  Rob, Chris, Stephanie   New 7/1/2024
Preheat Challenge-Red White and Blue 4th of July desserts.
Chris is doing blueberries, strawberry, on pound cake with white chocolate.   Stephanie is doing cream puffs with strawberries, blueberries, and peaches.  Rob is making strawberries, and blueberries and peaches on pavlovas.  
Chris is having problems with getting the bombes to freeze, and set up.   Stephanie’s looks OK, Rob’s looks lovely.  Chris’s looks nice.  
Rob-looks spectacular.  Theme is very well done.   Judges love the taste.  
Stephanie-Texture on the cake is rough, but judges love the look, and the taste. 
Chris-Looks good, but rough.   Judges say needs crunch. 
Winner is Stephanie.  She gets exclusive use of one flavor, she chooses orange olive oil cake. 
Final Competition- Exploding fireworks cakes, for NYC fireworks. (No, not really exploding, cake should look like it’s exploding). 
Stephanie-Orange olive oil and poppy seed cake. With fondant stars to look like exploding fireworks.  Light blue with pink not red, and white side of cake icing.  with flames to look like fireworks, with a NYC cityscape. Pastel looking cake. 
Chris-Is doing black fondant on the top layerto look like the night sky, with the exploding top layer, middle layer is plus bottle rockets for decoration. 
Rob-Lemon crunch with raspberry cream.  Red and blue marbled layers in the cake. Fondant stars to look like exploding fireworks.  Plus a NYC skyline. 

I love the way Rob's cake looks.  I'm not a fan of Chris's decoration, Stephanie's is too pastel for me. 

Stephanie's is more pastel. Judges like the taste. 

Rob-I love the decoration.   Fits the theme.  Slices of cake look wonderful.  Judges love the taste. Criticize the pink not red interior. 

Chris-The black fondant on top and bottle rockets looks nice.  Skyline is great and all around the cake.    Black tea cake with lemon.  Duff says not enough tea. 

Congratulations to all three finalists.   

Scores are not cumulative, but just for this one bake. 

Congratulations to the winner: Rob.

• Like 6
  • Love 1

What in the world is Carla wearing? When they announced Robb as the winner, I realized I wanted anyone but him to win. In my opinion, Chris's cake looked the best. I was criticizing the other 2 for not having the NY skyline go all around the tier. And Chris had bottle rockets, not just stars. If Stephanie had NY bigger, she might have been in better contention.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1

Usually one of the bakers implodes during the final.  All three of them decorated beautiful cakes.  I hope Stephanie explained her color scheme to the judges off screen.

I'm surprised none of the judges mentioned eating buttercream frosting versus fondant.

• Like 8

I thought Rob was going to win he was strong all during the competition. I thought they didn't give Stephanie much of an advantage. I was glad she put her own spin on the final cake since she's Canadian.

• Like 4

Finally an outcome on one of these things I was actually rooting for!

Although.  It sounds like it was really tasty (and I would kill for one of those pavlovas), but his preheat looked a right mess.  Also peaches are gross.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, Frost said:

Usually one of the bakers implodes during the final.  All three of them decorated beautiful cakes.  I hope Stephanie explained her color scheme to the judges off screen.

I'm surprised none of the judges mentioned eating buttercream frosting versus fondant.

I was surprised that they didn't mention the fondant. I think they have done so before. 

I was hoping Stephanie would win. I like an underdog. I was not shocked that Rob won. 

• Like 5

I thought the black fondant layer of Chris's cake was spectacular with his piped fireworks.  Not sure what Stephanie was thinking with her pastel cake - it looked more like an undersea cake than a fireworks cake to me (although I would have loved to taste it because it sounded delicious and I love the way sesame seeds crunch when you eat them).  I liked the way Rob layered the fondant on top of his cake so it was "exploded" into red, white and blue.  

I honestly think the judges went with the "whose cake would you go back for another bite" thought since all three of them decorated their cakes nicely...and honestly...at the end of the day I would think taste is the most important thing because the decorations are destroyed the minute the cake is cut.

I was rooting for Rob so I was happy he won.  I know we are supposed to judge the bakers on their bakes and not their stories but I respect that he served his country and seems to have transitioned back into civilian life with dreams and ambitions and successes.  And now's he's the Summer Baking Champion (for what that's worth).

• Like 15

Anyone else so distracted by Jesse's trousers that they couldn't NOT look at them?  They looked like women's slacks.  NO room for the junk in his trunk, legs too slim and short.  And I will NEVER like the "no socks" look for men.

I thought Stephanie's looked like a baby shower cake.  Chris and Rob both decorated nicely, but all that fondant . . . yuck.

I'd have been okay with any of them winning.

• Like 6
  • LOL 3
2 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

Anyone else so distracted by Jesse's trousers that they couldn't NOT look at them?  They looked like women's slacks.  NO room for the junk in his trunk, legs too slim and short.  And I will NEVER like the "no socks" look for men.

I thought Stephanie's looked like a baby shower cake.  Chris and Rob both decorated nicely, but all that fondant . . . yuck.

I'd have been okay with any of them winning.

I didn't mind Stephanie's colors but the skyline was all wrong. And it did need something a big bolder on it.

Yes, the pants! 

• Like 4

I am so very happy to hear that Rob won!!  My favorite all along — I really like him and he’s incredibly talented, plus he’s from my hometown.  I am out of the country so haven’t seen the finale yet — appreciate the comments here and the recap by @CrazyInAlabama  Another fun season, led by the wonderful Jesse!  

• Like 8
(edited)
5 hours ago, AZChristian said:

Glad to see if wasn't just me! Oh, and I've seen Carla wear that silly flower bustier before. Didn't like it then; don't like it now. Looks like something from a Lego person's wardrobe.

I picked Rob, because his nitpicks were the smallest, his cake looked the most 4th of July, and apparently it was delicious. I'm happy he won. Phoeey on Damaris and her "pink" cake.

Stephanie was my sentimental favorite, but her cake just didn't fit the theme as well. I really wanted to taste her tahini buttercream. Sounded delish!

Chris's was beautiful, but my eyes were drawn to that band of red perforated fondant he had around his white layer. It was crooked! Obviously very crooked. Guess it wasn't mentioned in the show to create more suspense. His flavors didn't appeal to me or seem like something I'd want on the 4th of July.

I'm really happy they didn't have any silly twists or other nonsense such as "let's have a sudden death elimination and get rid of someone before the 'real finale'." Just let the final three do their best. Still entertaining!

Jessie's dad jokes were on point. What was that one -- why can't I tell a knock-knock joke about something because something doesn't knock it rings -- what was the something in that joke??? Honestly, I think senility is setting in. 🤪

Edited by carrps
missing e
  • Like 7
  • Useful 1

I, also, would’ve been happy with any of them winning.  

I was surprised they didn’t comment on how sloppy the lines were on Chris’ cake. The stripe going around the bottom tier and the skyline were wonky.  They usually jump on that. 

The complaint about the red looking like pink made me roll my eyes so hard. The inside of that cake was a color explosion. It wasn’t baby pink. Guess they had to nitpick to keep the suspense up.

As always, I will Never stop complaining about that minuscule cash prize. Contestants on Wheel of Fortune win more than $25,000 total every day.  Thats pitiful compensation for weeks worth of content that they slam a million commercials around. And asking how great it would be to win that money? lol of course it’s better than nothing, but I’d be like-“Wow, yeah! I can buy half a car!!” Of course, it would make a nice vacation or help pay for a wedding…but, come on! Give them at least $50,000!

• Like 13
  • Applause 1
4 hours ago, MerBearHou said:

Another fun season, led by the wonderful Jesse!  

Yes, I enjoyed this season, and I liked all 3 finalists. 

I wish FN would have run this show, then the Paris Next Baking Master so I'd have something to watch while waiting for the Halloween BC to start in September. 

• Like 7
  • Applause 1
5 minutes ago, Splashy said:

Yes, I enjoyed this season, and I liked all 3 finalists. 

I wish FN would have run this show, then the Paris Next Baking Master so I'd have something to watch while waiting for the Halloween BC to start in September. 

I was jus thinking last night how quick we went from the Spring to the Summer and now the long wait to Halloween.  I wish they had something in between. 

• Like 7
18 hours ago, Grizzly said:

What in the world is Carla wearing?

6 minutes ago, carrps said:

I've seen Carla wear that silly flower bustier before. Didn't like it then; don't like it now. Looks like something from a Lego person's wardrobe.

I've seen her do this several times. She puts on a top or blouse, then puts a bustier or strapless dress over it. 

8 minutes ago, carrps said:

Chris's was beautiful, but my eyes were drawn to that band of red perforated fondant he had around his white layer. It was crooked! Obviously very crooked.

Yeah, I noticed it, too. But I liked that he put the skyline all the way around the cake, which the other 2 didn't do. 

• Like 4
14 minutes ago, Pi237 said:

I, also, would’ve been happy with any of them winning.  

I was surprised they didn’t comment on how sloppy the lines were on Chris’ cake. The stripe going around the bottom tier and the skyline were wonky.  They usually jump on that. 

The complaint about the red looking like pink made me roll my eyes so hard. The inside of that cake was a color explosion. It wasn’t baby pink. Guess they had to nitpick to keep the suspense up.

As always, I will Never stop complaining about that minuscule cash prize. Contestants on Wheel of Fortune win more than $25,000 total every day.  Thats pitiful compensation for weeks worth of content that they slam a million commercials around. And asking how great it would be to win that money? lol of course it’s better than nothing, but I’d be like-“Wow, yeah! I can buy half a car!!” Of course, it would make a nice vacation or help pay for a wedding…but, come on! Give them at least $50,000!

Agreed! For any of them that run a small business - especially if it's mostly on them, I bet $25k doesn't even cover their lost labor and sales during their time on the show!

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
29 minutes ago, carrps said:

Glad to see if wasn't just me!

Jessie's dad jokes were on point. What was that one -- why can't I tell a knock-knock joke about something because something doesn't knock it rings -- what was the something in that joke??? Honestly, I think senility is setting in. 🤪

Freedom.  You can't tell a knock-knock joke about freedom, because freedom rings!

• Like 1
  • LOL 5
(edited)
5 hours ago, Splashy said:

I've seen her do this several times. She puts on a top or blouse, then puts a bustier or strapless dress over it. 

I've seen this done by lots of people. I just don't like that plastic looking flower one.

4 hours ago, AZChristian said:

4 hours ago, AZChristian said:

Freedom.  You can't tell a knock-knock joke about freedom, because freedom rings!

Thanks!

And sorry for the stutter. How do I delete something I accidentally get in a reply? I go to edit, but don't see a way to do it.

Edited by carrps
  • Like 1

I was team Rob all along so I was delighted that he won.  I liked Chris too and thought his fireworks were actually better than Rob's stars but I suspect his use of fondant contributed to his loss.  The only real complaint they had about Rob's cake was Damaris' nit-picking the pinkish red that was inside the cake and not even seen until they cut it.  If he had used enough food color to make that layer bright red, they would have complained about tasting it.  Stephanie's cake was pretty but it didn't evoke 4th of July at all.  

• Like 9
1 hour ago, carrps said:

I've seen this done by lots of people. I just don't like that plastic looking flower one.

Thanks!

And sorry for the stutter. How do I delete something I accidentally get in a reply? I go to edit, but don't see a way to do it.

Sometimes you can just backspace from outside the bottom, and it treats the box like a frame and deletes it.  Otherwise, don't sweat it!!!  LOL.

• Useful 1