Type keyword(s) to search

Chit-Chat: What's On Your Mind Today?

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

We all have been drawn into off-topic discussions, me included. There's little that's off-topic when it comes to Chit Chat, so the only ask is that you please remember that this is the Chit Chat topic and that there's a subforum for all things health and wellness here.

If there's something you need clarification on, please keep in mind that it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; talk to them and not about what they said.
If you disagree, consider how we can express our differing opinions and still respect the other's opinion and recognize it as valid.
We're all different people, so different perspectives and points of views are natural, welcome even for growing a healthy community. What is important is that we disagree with empathy and consideration. (If need be, check out the how do we have healthy debates guidelines for more).

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Are there any attractions within a day's drive that you haven't visited, or haven't visited in a while?  Sometimes just a change of scenery an hour or two away helps me. 

Before we moved to the Island, at least once a month we would go to the Museum of Art, Natural History and the Wax Museum and spend the whole day there.  Plus, I loved book stores and the Village.  Being you live in the City, it’s a great place to be.  (Olivia)

• Like 6
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, JTMacc99 said:

And while I could deal with the commercials, I have no interest in the edited for TV version. For example, when McClane uses the radio to report the terrorists to the police and gets the response "This channel is for emergencies only", his awesome, flustered, response of "Do I sound like I'm ordering a fucking pizza?!!" gets hacked to remove the f-bomb.

And where's the fun in that? 

Or when John tells the Beeks Deputy Chief whatever, that "I'm not the one who just got buttfucked on national television" with Argyle's jaw dropping open before he laughs hysterically.

So glad I have this on bluray, so I just popped it in my player on Christmas Eve.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, oliviabenson said:

I don’t drive and I don’t like museums! 

I'm not a fan of NYC, but I did like the Staten Island Ferry. 
Likewise, in Chicago I like the Chicago Architecture Center River Cruise.
But then being next to water soothes me. 

• Like 4
On 12/26/2023 at 10:01 AM, oliviabenson said:

Well it’s my birthday. I’m so depressed right now. I’m officially old, no high paying job, no relationship, no kids, no pets, no mom. I feel like crap right now. Like this is not what I pictured my life being as a kid. 

Late to the party! Happy Birthday @oliviabenson!! Sorry you had such a sad day.

For something to do, this time of year, why not go take a drive and look for Christmas lights? Some streets really get into the spirit and try to out do each other. That could be a fun/relaxing thing to try... and all it costs is gas money.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

'OOPS sorry, I didn't read all the way through the thread before posting. Now I feel like a dummy for suggesting driving around to see the lights...sorry

Edited by Gramto6
added on to post
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

I'm enjoying the Kennedy Center Honors right now.  They just finished the tribute to Renee Flemming.  Wow!  Next up? Barry Gibb and that's going to be terrific with all that Bee Gees music.

Well...for me, the best segments were Billy Crystal's and Renee Flemming's.  The Barry Gibbs music productions were very disappointing and I doubt they got the audience out of their seats dancing. 

Edited by annzeepark914
  • Like 4
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, Gramto6 said:

Late to the party! Happy Birthday @oliviabenson!! Sorry you had such a sad day.

For something to do, this time of year, why not go take a drive and look for Christmas lights? Some streets really get into the spirit and try to out do each other. That could be a fun/relaxing thing to try... and all it costs is gas money.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

'OOPS sorry, I didn't read all the way through the thread before posting. Now I feel like a dummy for suggesting driving around to see the lights...sorry

It’s ok thank you for your suggestion!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, oliviabenson said:

I forgot you were in NYC -- take the train out to Coney Island!  Sometimes just being near the ocean, listening to the waves makes me feel better.  (I have to make do with a river or lake where I live.)

• Like 6
2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I forgot you were in NYC -- take the train out to Coney Island!  Sometimes just being near the ocean, listening to the waves makes me feel better.  (I have to make do with a river or lake where I live.)

When the weather is nice I go and hang out there on the boardwalk ! I love smelling the fresh air! 

• Like 4
  • Love 5
13 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I'm enjoying the Kennedy Center Honors right now.  They just finished the tribute to Renee Flemming.  Wow!  Next up? Barry Gibb and that's going to be terrific with all that Bee Gees music.

Well...for me, the best segments were Billy Crystal's and Renee Flemming's.  The Barry Gibbs music productions were very disappointing and I doubt they got the audience out of their seats dancing. 

I look forward to this every year. I enjoyed it all, especially Billy's segment, because he's a fellow Long Islander. I don't know much about opera, and truthfully not a fan, but I did enjoy Ms. Fleming's segment. Likewise, I know nothing about Queen Latifah from her hip hop days, but have always enjoyed her movies. I've always thought she's a gorgeous woman....those cheekbones. And I agree that Barry Gibb's musical segment was a disappointment.

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
On 12/24/2023 at 2:56 PM, peacheslatour said:

Yeah, I'm just trying to get through ti too. I've lost so much family and all the beloved traditions that I took so much for granted are gone as well. I'm just trying to hold it together.

Christmas just isn't the same after our moms & dads, any siblings, are gone--heck, anyone who was our immediate family unit 🙁. Those were very special, formative years when Xmas & all its "trimmings" got embedded in our brains (no matter how elaborate or minimal they were). But it's now past, and onward to a new year. I hope 2024 will bring us good health, peace in our lives, and peace around the world. 🩷

Edited by annzeepark914
  • Hugs 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, Acmeproducts said:

I will have to check out the honors. What did Billy play?

I'm confused by your question. Billy Crystal is a famous comedian/comic actor who has appeared on SNL, played the first gay character on the TV show Soap, and has acted in numerous films, including "When Harry Met Sally", "Analyze This", "The Princess Bride", and "City Slickers", among others. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
1 minute ago, ECM1231 said:

I'm confused by your question. Billy Crystal is a famous comedian/comic actor who has appeared on SNL, played the first gay character on the TV show Soap, and has acted in numerous films, including "When Harry Met Sally", "Analyze This", "The Princess Bride", and "City Slickers", among others. 

I read the earlier post too quickly saw “Billy” and “Long Island” together and assumed it was Billy Joel, not Billy Crystal.

I loved When Harry Met Sally. 

• Like 6
20 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Christmas just isn't the same after our mom & dad, any siblings, are gone--heck, anyone who was our immediate family unit 🙁. Those were very special, formative years when Xmas & all its "trimmings" got embedded in our brains (no matter how elaborate or minimal they were). But it's now past, and onward to a new year. I hope 2024 will bring us good health, peace in our lives, and peace around the world. 🩷

Christmas was always mom driven. She’s been gone for a dozen years now, but we are still finding our way to new traditions. We are still locked into memories of Mom and “it’s not the same without her”. Sigh. 
Happy 2024 everyone! ❤️

• Like 1
  • Hugs 4
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, chitowngirl said:

Christmas was always mom driven. She’s been gone for a dozen years now, but we are still finding our way to new traditions. We are still locked into memories of Mom and “it’s not the same without her”. Sigh. 
Happy 2024 everyone! ❤️

Yes! This is the key to moving on after Mom &/or Dad are gone & those old traditions can't be totally continued without them.  I remember years ago when my cousin's husband suddenly died (cerebral hemorrhage), leaving her with 4 young children.  She took them to Hawaii for Christmas--a totally new, different environment.  They only did that for one Xmas, but it was needed. I'm not sure how she handled future holidays as they were on the opposite side of the country from us. After my mom died, holidays were never the same. But we worked on creating new traditions & that helped.

Edited by annzeepark914
  • Hugs 4
  • Love 2

On 12/26/2023 at 7:13 PM, oliviabenson said:

What rewards do you give your self? I usually use food and that’s not good. I need some ideas.

Massage?  Spa day?  I love baths and indulge often!  One year as a present I got what I came to call my bath accoutrement.  It was a stainless steel thingy that spanned the tub horizontally (does that make any sense?) and could hold a glass/mug or two of whatever I wanted to drink, a book, a snack (!), washcloth, etc.  I could easily spend an hour or more in the bath every day.  Oh, found a picture.  Home Depot, if anyone's interested.

One of the sad things about long covid is I'm not supposed to have the water too hot (if I had my druthers I'm a turns-lobster-red hot bath kind of a person).

On 12/27/2023 at 3:56 PM, oliviabenson said:

All museums?  There are so many different ones out there.  I loved The Tenement Museum in NYC - compact, quick, fascinating, close to good food!

Accoutrement.jpg

Edited by Ancaster
Add photo
  • Like 6
1 hour ago, Ancaster said:

Massage?  Spa day?  I love baths and indulge often!  One year as a present I got what I came to call my bath accoutrement.  It was a stainless steel thingy that spanned the tub horizontally (does that make any sense?) and could hold a glass/mug or two of whatever I wanted to drink, a book, a snack (!), washcloth, etc.  I could easily spend an hour or more in the bath every day.  Oh, found a picture.  Home Depot, if anyone's interested.

One of the sad things about long covid is I'm not supposed to have the water too hot (if I had my druthers I'm a turns-lobster-red hot bath kind of a person).

All museums?  There are so many different ones out there.  I loved The Tenement Museum in NYC - compact, quick, fascinating, close to good food!

Accoutrement.jpg

I don’t spend enough time in the bath to warrant such a device, but I do agree that a bath makes everything feel better and is also great for falling asleep.

And for anyone who doesn’t want to be surrounded by soap or other residue, just a 10-15 minute soak in plain water does the trick too.

Warm water is recommended, but I prefer hot.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Ancaster said:

Anyone else hate the new LOL emoji?

The one here doesn't bother me, but many sites changed emojis recently and some (youtube for example) look like all of the laughing emojis look extremely mean. Like I want to mock someone if I use it. That just makes me avoid them.

• Like 5
2 hours ago, JustHereForFood said:

The one here doesn't bother me, but many sites changed emojis recently and some (youtube for example) look like all of the laughing emojis look extremely mean. Like I want to mock someone if I use it. That just makes me avoid them.

I've started just using "like" or "love" rather than LOL because it makes me feel uneasy!

That said, to anybody feeling that they're not getting enough laughs in their lives, my apologies - I am laughing on the other side of the screen here.

• Like 6
6 hours ago, Ancaster said:

I'm adjusting to it. 
I think the dissonance is because it's a different style than the other current reaction emojis.

3 hours ago, JustHereForFood said:

Do you mean this one?
image.png.ed02a3d51d2db80c3bd1adf4c8921b08.png 
The lines that represent closed eyes do look like mean eyebrows.
At least the new one here for the response does not look mean at all:
image.png.316a6b4d930d5ef4f66b62312a77c64a.png

• Like 3
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

I'm adjusting to it. 
I think the dissonance is because it's a different style than the other current reaction emojis.

Do you mean this one?

Do you guys know what gurning is?  (Spellcheck doesn't!) I only know it as a British thing.  It's when someone, usually old, intentionally makes their face looks as hideous and unnatural as possible.  I'll attach a photo if I can.  This is the kind of face the new emoji reminds me of!  Kind of rubbery and definitely freaky!

image.png.212e01780f4b84134d7f4d2f7f47af71.png

Edited by Ancaster
  • Mind Blown 2
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, Ancaster said:

Do you guys know what gurning is?  (Spellcheck doesn't!) I only know it as a British thing.  It's when someone, usually old, intentionally makes their face looks as hideous and unnatural as possible.  I'll attach a photo if I can.  This is the kind of face the new emoji reminds me of!  Kind of rubbery and definitely freaky!

image.png.212e01780f4b84134d7f4d2f7f47af71.png

Don't they have to take their teeth out to do that?

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

If they wear them regularly, sure!

You're reminding me that I spent Wednesday night calling Bingo at a women's shelter and one of the women is toothless and was telling me she got engaged over Christmas.  I was wondering whether she'll put her teeth in for the wedding.  Didn't like to ask, you know.  🙃

• Like 1
  • LOL 5
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I'm adjusting to it. 

Do you mean this one?

More like these?: image.png.bf2046db8af4371294fc2e2d6cc45225.png Not sure if they show properly. It could be the closed eyes, I don't know. Maybe it's just that I've seen it way too many times in places where it has no place to be, like people arguing about conspiracy theories and going out of their way to be jerks towards others. I have also come to resent the "deep thinking" emoji image.png.631499882721139c810a6d2fbe94480e.png for similar reasons and I used to like it. Now I just associate it with people pretending to be experts in medicine, international politics, climate change, etc.

• Like 2
  • Useful 2
10 hours ago, Ancaster said:

I don't hate it anymore, but I thought it looked maniacal when they first made the switch and I wish they'd kept the old one; it fit better with the others, while this one is out of place.

• Like 10
  • LOL 1

I am officially over after-Christmas shopping at stores and in person. Went to Kohl’s today to buy a pair of boots and the checkout line was back in the men’s aisle. Target was a zoo the other day as well. I know that everyone and their mother is off work and/or school but the novelty wears off quick once you stand in some of those insanely long lines, no matter how quick they move. I got to use about half of my Christmas money and got some things I did have my eye on, though, so it worked out in the end. 

But next time I want something I will just go on Amazon for it.

Unfortunately I still am not done with gift shopping. My sister and her wife will be in town next weekend for Christmas (they worked this past weekend as they are both nurses) and then my cousin’s wife’s baby shower is in two weeks. Then in February I have three family birthdays. It just feels endless at this point. :( So it was nice to treat myself for a couple of days and not be focused on a checklist for other people. 

Edited by Cloud9Shopper
  • Like 6
15 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

For new baby gifts, I've been ordering (for several years now!) those sweet, soft, musical stuffed animals from Nordstrom's.

On a recommendation from someone here, I bought a Cuddle and Kind doll for friends having their first baby soon.  It's gorgeous, but spendy, so I'm happy I hit upon a Black Friday sale.   

• Like 6
1 hour ago, luv2lurk said:

I just wish TPTB here would focus on website stability. Didn't realize how addicted I am until all the non-access over the past couple of weeks.

Maybe because I’ve been on similar forums since about 1998, I now take board crashes as wake-up calls regarding my online addiction, and try to welcome the downtime as an imposed-but-needed break.

• Like 10
  • Useful 2

Maybe because I’ve been on similar forums since about 1998, I now take board crashes as wake-up calls regarding my online addiction, and try to welcome the downtime as an imposed-but-needed break.

Quite frankly, I thought Primetimer had gone the way of TWOP and other previous iterations.

• Like 3
5 hours ago, Ancaster said:

Quite frankly, I thought Primetimer had gone the way of TWOP and other previous iterations.

Eventually. 
Right? 
Like Marshall Fields department stores and Gateway computers and Checker taxis and Blackberry smartphones.

I was thinking the other day that I've used up about 7 of my nine lives…
but then I realized I'm not a cat. 🙃🐈😉

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 1
  • LOL 7

Eventually. 
Right? 
Like Marshall Fields department stores and Gateway computers and Checker taxis and Blackberry smartphones.

I was thinking the other day that I've used up about 7 of my nine lives…
but then I realized I'm not a cat. 🙃🐈😉

Checker taxis! We always used Yellow Cabs in the city, but once I rode in a Checkers & was sliding from side to side on my high perch, as the cabbie flew around Manhattan 😁

• Wink 1
  • LOL 3

I actually still love having a message board to come to. Even when I disagree with people it’s still way friendlier than Reddit or other social media. I got downvoted on Reddit the other day for…posting my goals for 2024. People can be so weird. 

• Like 10
  • Mind Blown 3
5 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Where else can we safely pi$$ & moan about every day annoyances?

I actually removed all of my Reddit posts, then deleted my account, because it was too easy to get drawn into arguments with morons.  Now I scroll various subreddits, but don't have the temptation to respond because I can't.

Here I just have a very (VERY) long list of posters I've blocked, so I don't even see them unless someone else quotes them.  

• Like 6
  • Useful 1
12 minutes ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

I actually still love having a message board to come to. Even when I disagree with people it’s still way friendlier than Reddit or other social media. I got downvoted on Reddit the other day for…posting my goals for 2024. People can be so weird. 

That's because except for certain select subs, everybody on there is a fourteen year old boy.

• Like 1
  • LOL 3
36 minutes ago, Quof said:

Here I just have a very (VERY) long list of posters I've blocked, so I don't even see them unless someone else quotes them. 

I've always wondered if I have an abnormally long list. There are 25 currently on mine. I don't know if I'm typically cranky or atypically cranky. Just out of curiosity, what do you consider a (VERY) long list?

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
1 minute ago, Mondrianyone said:

I've always wondered if I have an abnormally long list. There are 25 currently on mine. I don't know if I'm typically cranky or atypically cranky. Just out of curiosity, what do you consider a (VERY) long list?

I've never blocked anyone on this site. Everyone here is so nice compared to other forums.

• Like 14
  • Wink 1
  • Love 1
12 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

Just checked my ignore list, and it's 16. I can usually scroll and ignore people, the main reasons I've blocked people (as a last resort) are those who only post negativity and those who post a lot but don't actually add anything to the discussion.  ::shrug::

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

I don't have anyone set on ignore, either.  There are people whose posts I tend to scroll past, and people who aren't worth the attention of a reply, even to debate with or refute their misinformation, but no one I've stopped from appearing on my page to begin with.  (Way back when I first joined, I may have put the one person I'd had on ignore on TWoP on ignore here as well, but they didn't stay here long so I don't think I ever got around to it.)

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 4
  • Useful 2