Type keyword(s) to search

Chit-Chat: What's On Your Mind Today?

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

We all have been drawn into off-topic discussions, me included. There's little that's off-topic when it comes to Chit Chat, so the only ask is that you please remember that this is the Chit Chat topic and that there's a subforum for all things health and wellness here.

If there's something you need clarification on, please keep in mind that it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; talk to them and not about what they said.
If you disagree, consider how we can express our differing opinions and still respect the other's opinion and recognize it as valid.
We're all different people, so different perspectives and points of views are natural, welcome even for growing a healthy community. What is important is that we disagree with empathy and consideration. (If need be, check out the how do we have healthy debates guidelines for more).

• Start Topic

17 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I got permabanned from all of Reddit once because I cut and pasted an article that apparently had a forbidden word in it.

image.thumb.png.8ba7a45ff3037c6b1a58b92a80ead0ab.png

Claiming the moral high ground and policing what words people are and are not allowed to say is super fun. Always has been; always will be.

• Applause 7
1 minute ago, EtheltoTillie said:

It's life changing! 

It really is.  I was not happy (to say the least) at the idea of people messing around with my eyes, but it really wasn't at all what I was expecting and after the second surgery to not need to wear glasses!  It was so amazing.

Good luck, @peacheslatour

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, EtheltoTillie said:

It's life changing! 

2 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

have to get cataract surgery. I'm kind of excited about it.

The easiest thing I’ve ever had done.  So quick.  It’s over 1,2,3.  20/20 vision and everything becomes so clear and colors vibrant.  Amazing!

• Like 3
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 1

My mom had cataract surgery a couple of years ago. It was weird not seeing her with glasses now because she always had them on when I was growing up. Also annoyed that I inheriting her nearsightedness and all still having to wear them!

This is cute:

Just now, Annber03 said:

So does my mom. She's looking forward to just getting it all over with :p. 

I'm looking forward to not feeling like I need more light all the time. I know my house is not as dark as I perceive it to be. I also know I'll probably be shocked by all the dust which is apparently invisible to men.

• LOL 7
2 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I'm looking forward to not feeling like I need more light all the time. I know my house is not as dark as I perceive it to be. I also know I'll probably be shocked by all the dust which is apparently invisible to men.

You’ll be pissed off you didn’t do it sooner, but sometimes the Surgeon has to wait until it’s ripe enough.  Everything will be lighter, clearer and the colors will be more brilliant.  I loved the way my tv, newspapers and books looked.

Edited by kristen111
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Two things on my mind today.  Even though I got a good nights rest I'm not doing much today.  Sometimes I guess the work week and other stuff going on catches up with a person.

Ever since Covid the local church by me I got tired of.  So I take a drive about 1/2 hour to my childhood church.  While it's not something I will do every weekend it's good fora change of pace kind of thing 

• Like 6
3 hours ago, BlueSkies said:

Two things on my mind today.  Even though I got a good nights rest I'm not doing much today.  Sometimes I guess the work week and other stuff going on catches up with a person.

Ever since Covid the local church by me I got tired of.  So I take a drive about 1/2 hour to my childhood church.  While it's not something I will do every weekend it's good fora change of pace kind of thing 

Did the local church get a new preacher?  Sometimes, it depends on who is leading the service.  Before I got married, I went to my local church nearly every week, and then once in a blue moon after.  I took a few years off and went once while my husband was visiting his family in his hometown and the priest was just annoying.  He was much younger (maybe a few years younger than me, so an official millennial) and really fit the stereotype of someone his age.  That was a few years ago.  He's since moved on, from what I heard.  I'm careful not to go too often since it's weird when you're interfaith and the other half isn't observant.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, PRgal said:

Did the local church get a new preacher?  Sometimes, it depends on who is leading the service.  Before I got married, I went to my local church nearly every week, and then once in a blue moon after.  I took a few years off and went once while my husband was visiting his family in his hometown and the priest was just annoying.  He was much younger (maybe a few years younger than me, so an official millennial) and really fit the stereotype of someone his age.  That was a few years ago.  He's since moved on, from what I heard.  I'm careful not to go too often since it's weird when you're interfaith and the other half isn't observant.

There is a rather young priest where I go.  I haven't seen him in a while but his sermons didnt do much for me.  He talked about the gospel likes he was talking to fellow seminarians vs people in the world.

Idk it's a good question why the local church turned me off.  While nobody did anything directly too me in terms of rudeness the place just has a cliquey feel to it.

years back my childhood church turned me off as it seemed pretty vacant and depressing.  But maybe years away from it made me feel a little more fondly about it  

Edited by BlueSkies
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, supposebly said:

My Catholic mom prefers to go to the local protestant service. She says it's better and shorter. 

My local church is Anglican (Episcopal) and has a modern service and a traditional one.  The modern service (earlier in the day) can be really weird.  They're also known for "Rock Eucharists" - funky services involving pop music.  They had one with music by Queen once.  So far, I have not seen one utilizing our own hometown boy, Drake's repertoire.  Probably not exactly appropriate.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, supposebly said:

My Catholic mom prefers to go to the local protestant service. She says it's better and shorter. 

This is remarkable because most Protestant services are usually much longer than a Catholic mass, which if there is no long hymns, can be done in about half an hour, maybe 40 minutes. And if your mom is Catholic, doesn't she miss receiving communion? Interesting!!

• Like 1

I'd only been to Protestant weddings and they were essentially "Do you?" "Do you?" "Congrats, now where's the bar?" So the first Catholic wedding I attended was a horrible surprise. The wedding bit is over, let's hit the reception...nooo, you have to sit through an entire mass. Agony.

• Like 5
  • LOL 4
4 minutes ago, ABay said:

I'd only been to Protestant weddings and they were essentially "Do you?" "Do you?" "Congrats, now where's the bar?" So the first Catholic wedding I attended was a horrible surprise. The wedding bit is over, let's hit the reception...nooo, you have to sit through an entire mass. Agony.

All the kneeling and standing and kneeling....

• Like 1
2 hours ago, jennifer6973 said:

Back when I used to go to church I would go to the service that had the priest that didn't put me to sleep.

And then there are those who choose the place that allows them to get a good nap in!

5 hours ago, PRgal said:

It seems you shouldn't feel you have to go to church less frequently than you want just because your husband doesn't go to temple.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Ancaster said:

It seems you shouldn't feel you have to go to church less frequently than you want just because your husband doesn't go to temple.

Our Sundays are pretty full now (I signed my son up for a multi-sport program just to see what he likes before committing to, say, soccer or basketball), so it isn't going to work.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

When we got married, we asked the minister to try to make the ceremony less than 20 minutes. He did a great job.

Haha, my parents have told me about the day they got married, and how it happened to be the same day as some big football game (which my mom did not know about when she was picking the date). So they kept everything pretty brief simply because they knew everyone wanted to get out to listen to/watch the game later that day :p. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 4
1 hour ago, Annber03 said:

Haha, my parents have told me about the day they got married, and how it happened to be the same day as some big football game (which my mom did not know about when she was picking the date). So they kept everything pretty brief simply because they knew everyone wanted to get out to listen to/watch the game later that day :p. 

LOL -- My dad got re-married during the World Cup finals; and the bride was 2+ hours late, so at least we could check the scores while we waited!

Edited by Trini
  • Mind Blown 1
  • LOL 6
26 minutes ago, Trini said:

LOL -- My dad got re-married during the World Cup finals; and the bride was 2+ hours late, so at least we could check the scores while we waited!

2+ hours?  Did she come from another town? Stuck at the airport? Flight delay?

Edited by PRgal
  • Like 1
  • LOL 3
1 hour ago, PRgal said:

2+ hours?  Did she come from another town? Stuck at the airport? Flight delay?

Oh man, it was so long ago -- I think the delay was with getting her hair done (and it might have snowballed from there - I never got all the details).

So yeah, the chit-chat was between "Is there actually going to be a wedding today??" and the World Cup. (And people getting hungry probably.) At a time before smartphones and even before many people had cell phones, I definitely remember calling relatives to ask who was winning.

2 hours ago, Trini said:

7 minutes ago, Trini said:

Oh man, it was so long ago -- I think the delay was with getting her hair done (and it might have snowballed from there - I never got all the details).

So yeah, the chit-chat was between "Is there actually going to be a wedding today??" and the World Cup. (And people getting hungry probably.) At a time before smartphones and even before many people had cell phones, I definitely remember calling relatives to ask who was winning.

Did the marriage last?

• LOL 3
11 hours ago, ABay said:

My wedding felt like it was never going to end.  I wanted a civil service but my husband, his family, and my mother wanted all the Catholic stuff so I was basically forced into it.  Let’s just say that while it’s been a happy marriage the ceremony was nothing short of an ordeal for me and I do NOT remember it fondly AT ALL.

• Hugs 4
  • Sad 2
  • Useful 2
10 hours ago, Annber03 said:

I know someone who got married on the day there was a big playoff game.  As both the bride and groom were huge fans of this team they arranged for it to be shown at the reception (apparently it was playoffs and when they chose the date they had no idea if this team would be in them).  It’s still talked about as one of the best weddings ever among their friend group!

Edited by Caoimhe
  • Like 7
  • Useful 1

My wedding was in the fall, Catholic Nuptual Mass at 11 a.m. where we all received communion.  Then a reception from 1 to 5 pm at a catering hall in Brooklyn.  Drove to the Poconos that night where I immediately got my period .  Lovely.  He was a very patient guy.  Still is.

• Like 7
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

This portion of this Chat thread could probably save at least some couples-to-be a lot of Wedding Bell Blues (and $$$)

Funny...when I *finally* met Mr. Right-for-me, I had to wait 11 years for him to be ready to try marriage again (one marriage & a child in his 20's, a divorce...then a second marriage that lasted 6 miserable months!) I just bided my time, never mentioned anything. Good thing this song never got played on the radio, though 😆. And yeah...his name is Bill.

Edited by annzeepark914
  • Like 1
  • Wink 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 3
25 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

A little strange, but also my story from the time of the song, so perfect: 
https://youtu.be/Wnl7myr-fIM
And his name was Bill.  
But it was just becoming a couple. Marriage wasn’t ever something I thought much about. 

I was just watching the “Fifth Dimention” on You tube and a picture of Johnny Mathis came up with a song.  Reminded me of when we saw him at Forest Hills Stadium singing on the stage.  He took a bow and fell off the stage head first.  An ambulance came.

• Mind Blown 8
  • Sad 1