Type keyword(s) to search

Chit-Chat: What's On Your Mind Today?

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

We all have been drawn into off-topic discussions, me included. There's little that's off-topic when it comes to Chit Chat, so the only ask is that you please remember that this is the Chit Chat topic and that there's a subforum for all things health and wellness here.

If there's something you need clarification on, please keep in mind that it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; talk to them and not about what they said.
If you disagree, consider how we can express our differing opinions and still respect the other's opinion and recognize it as valid.
We're all different people, so different perspectives and points of views are natural, welcome even for growing a healthy community. What is important is that we disagree with empathy and consideration. (If need be, check out the how do we have healthy debates guidelines for more).

• Start Topic

Ok I am over in a corner donning my shawl as I head for my rocking chair because, jeeze, when did it become the norm for wedding dresses to be cut down to the navel and look like they'd be more appropriate in a night club than on a woman walking down the aisle of a church.  Going off to grumble about "kids these days" as I shake my fist at a cloud.

• Like 5
  • LOL 5
  • Love 1
50 minutes ago, oliviabenson said:

To see a doctor.

It’s really nice and quiet here! Such cute houses! My neighborhood in Brooklyn is NOISY and nothing like SI!

I'm surprised by that. I watch a lot of Law & Order and I was led to believe that Staten Island is a dumping ground for dead bodies.

• LOL 15
2 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

Also sister in law of comedian David Spade. 

Oh yes, I remember that now. And this is twice that David Spade has been randomly mentioned here so I am supposed to be focusing on him for some reason. Since I have always had a crush on him and things come in threes for me the third will be he shows up on my doorstep to whisk me away

• Like 3
  • Wink 2
1 minute ago, stewedsquash said:

Oh yes, I remember that now. And this is twice that David Spade has been randomly mentioned here so I am supposed to be focusing on him for some reason. Since I have always had a crush on him and things come in threes for me the third will be he shows up on my doorstep to whisk me away

David Spade has probably been mentioned in conjunction with his old sitcom, Just Shoot Me!

• Like 2
17 minutes ago, stewedsquash said:

He has a new show coming out called Snake Oil, where a panel of people test new products and pronounce them real or snake oil. Damn Hollywood, pay your writers and actors or it's going to be game shows and "reality" shows as far as the eye can see. I mean Spade's show doesn't sound that bad but some of these things are just awful.

• Like 6
  • Fire 1

Thawed out hummus actually turns back into its original texture.  I was worried it would be weird.  I get half my groceries online and am IN LOVE with a store's in-house keto-friendly hummus made from pureed cauliflower.  Unfortunately, the one they sent me was expiring the day after it was delivered.  So into the freezer it went with fingers crossed that it would be okay once thawed.  And it was!  So I just extended the life of this particular package another four days or so.  

• Like 3
  • Love 1
26 minutes ago, PRgal said:

Thawed out hummus actually turns back into its original texture.  I was worried it would be weird.  I get half my groceries online and am IN LOVE with a store's in-house keto-friendly hummus made from pureed cauliflower.  Unfortunately, the one they sent me was expiring the day after it was delivered.  So into the freezer it went with fingers crossed that it would be okay once thawed.  And it was!  So I just extended the life of this particular package another four days or so.  

So do you use like Instacart or Doordash? I used Instacart but holy crap, the driver must have texted me like a dozen times and I only had 3 items.

4 hours ago, Laura Holt said:

Ok I am over in a corner donning my shawl as I head for my rocking chair because, jeeze, when did it become the norm for wedding dresses to be cut down to the navel and look like they'd be more appropriate in a night club than on a woman walking down the aisle of a church.  Going off to grumble about "kids these days" as I shake my fist at a cloud.

I watch “Yes to the Dress”.  I feel the same way, especially when they go in a church.  Very tacky.

• Like 6
44 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

So do you use like Instacart or Doordash? I used Instacart but holy crap, the driver must have texted me like a dozen times and I only had 3 items.

Instacart.  Shoppers seem to be a hit and miss.  Some communicate well, with photos of products for approval.  Others just shop. 

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, PRgal said:

Instacart.  Shoppers seem to be a hit and miss.  Some communicate well, with photos of products for approval.  Others just shop. 

How easy is it to change your contact information with them? When I signed up I forgot that my computer stores my info and defaults to my husband's phone number because they were purchased together and his is one digit off of mine. So all the texts went to him. To say he was not happy would be putting it mildly.

• LOL 2
34 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

How easy is it to change your contact information with them? When I signed up I forgot that my computer stores my info and defaults to my husband's phone number because they were purchased together and his is one digit off of mine. So all the texts went to him. To say he was not happy would be putting it mildly.

Shoppers DO chat with me, but some do more than others.  Since I live in a building, they will take a photo of their delivery before the security/concierge people take it up or I go down to pick things up.  One time, I DID get the pic, but there was no delivery!  I had to contact Instacart who then told me it went to a DIFFERENT building.  Another time, the shopper said I had to close the order for her (that's not how it works).  Usually, a shopper will send me a photo of the item to ask if it's the correct one/if the expiry is okay.  Other times, they don't.  I'm not always available to monitor while they shop.

• Useful 2
On 9/4/2023 at 9:28 AM, oliviabenson said:

F641F9B8-A251-4999-AE90-9EF3BACB30EF.jpeg

Here is the fake leather coat. Wonder what it looks like in person!

I bought a very out-of-character for me faux suede jacket recently.  I wore it over the weekend and a friend who is young (I'm not), hip (I'm not), and stylish (I'm not) told me I looked sharp!  No-one has ever said that about me before, I'm sure!  It was on sale and with a $10 Kohl's cash coupon it was around $40.  Now I just have to remind myself that I don't have to wait for a "special occasion" to wear it.  (This photo is not me!) 

On 9/5/2023 at 5:16 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

The new color is going to take some getting used to.  I like the hair, but its darker than I expected.  I’m used to light blonde. Oh well…..I can always get highlights in a couple of months.  I guess it’s good to make a change every once in a while.  It feels healthy, so thats good.  

IMG_0704.jpeg

I love this look and colour!

On 9/5/2023 at 9:58 PM, skatelady said:

I use the same starter word every day, and it hasn't yet been a winner - so I can't switch to a different one because one of these days it'll be a winner and I don't want to miss it!

I'm so ridiculously obsessed with maintaining my streak (over a year) that on my mountain hiking days I Wordle on the summit (yesssss, I just verbed a noun...)! Normally I do my puzzles in the morning with my coffee (ah, retirement), but on hiking days I leave the house super early and don't have time. So it's my summit treat. My friends think I'm insane. Post-Wordle view from atop Mt. Washington in New Hampshire:

IMG_1616.jpg

I love your routine and the view.  I usually do Wordle and Phrazle in my comfy chair with my coffee.  I just look around or fire up my brain to come up with a fresh word to start.  Maybe I'll use "vista" today.

23 hours ago, kristen111 said:

So am I, sort of.  Years ago, I did the card games, canasta, dances, etc.  At this point, I’d rather be home watching my tv.  Plus, I hate getting dressed up to go out at night.    I’ve always been a home body.        Aside from golf, my husband likes to stay home and watch the sports.

I recently started playing Euchre (card game) through MeetUp.  I'm doing it in part because I spend way to much time alone with the TV or books.  I've recognized it's not healthy for me to not get out and socialize periodically.  I'm loving it and it's very low key, with no expectations of dressing up beyond jeans and a tee shirt and Birkenstocks.  And now my new jacket.  Because I like it and it doesn't deserve to be left hanging in my closet!

5 hours ago, Laura Holt said:

I used to watch "Say Yes to the Dress" mainly to tut tut about the slutty dresses, especially the Pnina ones.  I especially loved feeling morally superior to the brides who insisted on two dresses when they couldn't even afford one.  I did learn that strapless (which I generally hate because of excess cleavage) are much cheaper to manufacture and alter than dresses with sleeves, which makes sense.  Still don't usually like the way they look though, especially if the bride is constantly hoiking it up,

image.png

• Like 6
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

Don’t they have a way to do that under “settings” or “my account”?

• Like 2
49 minutes ago, Ancaster said:

I bought a very out-of-character for me faux suede jacket recently.  I wore it over the weekend and a friend who is young (I'm not), hip (I'm not), and stylish (I'm not) told me I looked sharp!  No-one has ever said that about me before, I'm sure!  It was on sale and with a $10 Kohl's cash coupon it was around $40.  Now I just have to remind myself that I don't have to wait for a "special occasion" to wear it.  (This photo is not me!) 

I love this look and colour!

I love your routine and the view.  I usually do Wordle and Phrazle in my comfy chair with my coffee.  I just look around or fire up my brain to come up with a fresh word to start.  Maybe I'll use "vista" today.

I recently started playing Euchre (card game) through MeetUp.  I'm doing it in part because I spend way to much time alone with the TV or books.  I've recognized it's not healthy for me to not get out and socialize periodically.  I'm loving it and it's very low key, with no expectations of dressing up beyond jeans and a tee shirt and Birkenstocks.  And now my new jacket.  Because I like it and it doesn't deserve to be left hanging in my closet!

I used to watch "Say Yes to the Dress" mainly to tut tut about the slutty dresses, especially the Pnina ones.  I especially loved feeling morally superior to the brides who insisted on two dresses when they couldn't even afford one.  I did learn that strapless (which I generally hate because of excess cleavage) are much cheaper to manufacture and alter than dresses with sleeves, which makes sense.  Still don't usually like the way they look though, especially if the bride is constantly hoiking it up,

image.png

Love it!

• Like 4
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Snappy dialogue. Wasn't that the style of West Wing? I never watched that show but heard that the characters all talked fast.

Aaron Sorkin is known for the "walk and talk". Snappy, smart dialogue while walking. To be clear, MMM is not a Sorkin show. The West Wing is, and, while dated, it's still one of the best series to have aired. 

I'm still bitter Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip was cancelled. 

• Like 6
  • Useful 1

Yes I think Peacock has a super cheap yearly deal every Black Friday.

I subscribed, actually re-subscribed to Sling when Disney took the ESPN channels off Spectrum during the US Open.  Of course now that the tennis is over, ESPN Is back.  Football rules.  However if my fairly cheap Spectrum plan (TV Choice) loses channels or becomes too expensive, I might  give it up for Sling.  The problem is that there are reports that if you try to go internet only, the price of your internet goes way up....so I will wait and see I guess.

ETA  I see I was responding to posts from Saturday - I don't know if it's my browser or if I go too fast through these threads, anyway, just adding to the randomness I guess!

Edited by roseha
Explanation?
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1

I know that this summer's heat has been unusual and hard on everybody, but I want to say that I admire those of you who manage to live in areas in the 'usual/normal' summertime heat without central air conditioning.  I don't know if everyone has fans, window units, swamp coolers, or what, but my hat is off to all of you.  I live in the humid, deep south, and don't know what I would do without my central air.  And, I'm not even one of those people who has to crank it down to 65 degrees.  I usually keep it on 77 or 78 and I'm plenty cool.  But, my aging system has decided that it doesn't want to keep up with the high 80s outside (I guess those recent high temperatures in the upper 90s/very low 100s was the last straw). I could tell that it was struggling this weekend, but the house stayed cool.  But I left it this morning set on 79 and it's been a constant 81 since I got home (and hasn't cycled off).  I'm going to have to call the repair guys tomorrow morning.  I'm okay right now (I'm not delicate by any means), but I know that I would have problems and be complaining left and right if it got much warmer inside. My cat Maggie is stretched out (looking very flat) like she's burning up, but it's not that hot. 

I was hoping that the last freon charge would carry me through the rest of the summer, but no such luck.  I think I'll have three possible options:  They can repair the leak without it being horribly expensive, they can charge it up one more time (if the leak isn't too bad) just to get me through the rest of the hot weather, or it might be more cost-effective to get a new system (yay, that's a few thousand dollars I didn't want to spend right now). 

Edited by BooksRule
Double post
  • Hugs 4
  • Sad 4

I found when I visited my parents in Germany that the new windows also help with the heat. Two weeks of over 30C and no air condition. Keep the windows closed during the day, blinds down and then open it all at night. It wasn't too bad although it was quite humid.

• Like 6
  • Useful 1

I read this...

6 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I'm surprised by that. I watch a lot of Law & Order and I was led to believe that Staten Island is a dumping ground for dead bodies.

and then this...

4 hours ago, PRgal said:

Thawed out hummus actually turns back into its original texture. 

and misread thawed hummus as "thawed humans" and had so many questions. 🤯🤣

• Useful 1
  • LOL 15
9 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

I read this...

and then this...

and misread thawed hummus as "thawed humans" and had so many questions. 🤯🤣

Changed my reaction from  ❤️ to 💡 because somehow it just seemed more appropriate.

PS:  I'm having a bit of a whacky day, so please bear with me.

• Hugs 2
  • Love 2

Question:  Are there boards here for kids' shows? Just looking for something educational (that isn't Sesame Street) for my son.  He's currently binging Blaze and the Monster Machines (very cute and STEM-focused), but we're almost done!  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, PRgal said:

Question:  Are there boards here for kids' shows? Just looking for something educational (that isn't Sesame Street) for my son.  He's currently binging Blaze and the Monster Machines (very cute and STEM-focused), but we're almost done!  

Do you get syndicated Mr. Rogers?

• Like 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, PRgal said:

1 hour ago, chitowngirl said:

One show I don't see at first glance there is Molly of Denali: 
gem.cbc.ca/molly-of-denali

• Like 1
1 hour ago, PRgal said:

1 hour ago, chitowngirl said:

Watch out, though.  That board skews more toward the "Animated" than the "Kids" aspects.

This probably goes without saying, but is he into Bluey?  My grandkids (ages 2 through 13) and their parents are big fans. My son claims he pays for a VPN just so they can get the episodes that haven't aired yet here.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
13 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Watch out, though.  That board skews more toward the "Animated" than the "Kids" aspects.

This probably goes without saying, but is he into Bluey?  My grandkids (ages 2 through 13) and their parents are big fans. My son claims he pays for a VPN just so they can get the episodes that haven't aired yet here.

Yes, it does.  And the shows aren't really kid-friendly, either.  Not into Bluey, but we haven't really tried.  We tried to get him into Paw Patrol, but he's not THAT into it.  We also tried Thomas.  Nope, not really, either.  

@theredhead77:  I'm not sure about Mr. Rogers.  It might bore him - I think a lot of things from our day would (otherwise, I'd try a Canadian childhood favourite, Mr. Dressup)!  He wasn't all that into Daniel Tiger.

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, PRgal said:

It might bore him - I think a lot of things from our day would (otherwise, I'd try a Canadian childhood favourite, Mr. Dressup)

My daughter loved the Canadian shows Under the Umbrella Tree and Today's Special but when she tried them with her kids they weren't interested at all.  

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
23 minutes ago, Laura Holt said:

My daughter loved the Canadian shows Under the Umbrella Tree and Today's Special but when she tried them with her kids they weren't interested at all.  

Aw, I loved "Under the Umbrella Tree" as a kid :). To this day, I still remember Gloria Gopher's full name :p. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

Aw, I loved "Under the Umbrella Tree" as a kid :). To this day, I still remember Gloria Gopher's full name :p. 

Don't forget Jacob Blue Jay and Iggy the Iguana!  Yes, I liked it too.  I still remember one episode in particular where they are involved in a race or walkathon, something like that, anyway there were all these cameos of famous Canadians (in puppet form of course).  Naturally this went over the children's heads but we grown ups got a kick out of playing Spot the Famous Guy/Gal.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Laura Holt said:

Don't forget Jacob Blue Jay and Iggy the Iguana!  Yes, I liked it too.  I still remember one episode in particular where they are involved in a race or walkathon, something like that, anyway there were all these cameos of famous Canadians (in puppet form of course).  Naturally this went over the children's heads but we grown ups got a kick out of playing Spot the Famous Guy/Gal.

Hahaha, ah, yeah, I wouldn't have caught those, either, 'cause I'm not Canadian :p. But that's cool that they got so many well-known celebs to show up on there like that.

• Like 1
On 9/11/2023 at 7:28 PM, chitowngirl said:

Ah, yes, the Pnina Tornai stripper fairy dresses!

Continued from above.  A dress for the ceremony, then another for dancing at the reception.  WTH?  Guess money is no object.  Kleinfelds is not too far away from me, but I bought my wedding dress at a local shop, and my two daughters dresses too.  Just as beautiful, but no boobs showing.

Edited by kristen111
  • Like 1
  • LOL 1

Well, the A/C guy was here this afternoon and (as I thought) the Freon was low again.  He found the leak and the cost to repair/replace the part/section was more than 1/3 the cost of an entirely new system.  So, tomorrow I'm getting a new central air system (outside unit and inside air handler.  No new ductwork).  The one I have is at least 13 years old, so it makes financial sense to go ahead and get a new one. It's a blow to my bank account, though. :(

But the good news is that although I usually keep the temperature set at 78, if I come in from working in the yard (or an exhausting trip to Walmart) I can set that sucker down as far as I want without worrying about whether or not the system can take it.  

• Like 5
  • Hugs 1
  • Applause 3
1 hour ago, Laura Holt said:

I loved "Today's Special" as a kid. I'm in the US and according to the show wiki it was on Nickelodeon around the time I would have been watching. 

Edited to add: I just found a whole bunch of episodes on YouTube. Seeing that opening made me feel like a kid again for a couple minutes.

Edited by Jaded
1 hour ago, Laura Holt said:

Today's Special creeped me out as a kid.  

• Hugs 1
31 minutes ago, BooksRule said:

Well, the A/C guy was here this afternoon and (as I thought) the Freon was low again.  He found the leak and the cost to repair/replace the part/section was more than 1/3 the cost of an entirely new system.  So, tomorrow I'm getting a new central air system (outside unit and inside air handler.  No new ductwork).  The one I have is at least 13 years old, so it makes financial sense to go ahead and get a new one. It's a blow to my bank account, though. :(

But the good news is that although I usually keep the temperature set at 78, if I come in from working in the yard (or an exhausting trip to Walmart) I can set that sucker down as far as I want without worrying about whether or not the system can take it.  

If it makes you feel any better, 13 years is a decent run for an HVAC, at least in my experience. And I would hope you see some improvement in your power bill going forward.

And I can just say, coming in from yardwork or the like, 78 feels like heaven!

• Like 5
4 hours ago, PRgal said:

I can't answer your question about the boards, but let me highly recommend (if you can find it) The Magic School Bus. It may be slightly too old for him at age 5 but I bet he'll love it, and both my son and I learned so much from it back when he was a kid and I was able to watch great kids shows.

• Like 3
14 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

And I can just say, coming in from yardwork or the like, 78 feels like heaven!

When I come in from outside and I'm hot, I usually just sit next to my oscillating fan.  After a few minutes, I get cold so I turn it off.  

I hope it will save me some money (a new system should definitely be more efficient), but I also want to check into getting some new (and more) insulation for my attic before next summer.

• Like 3
58 minutes ago, BooksRule said:

The system can take it.  I’m in N.Y.  I have mine on 76 or 75.  If it’s very humid, I put it a notch or two lower.  My next door neighbor keeps it on 70 the whole summer.  I cannot be hot.

• Like 4
  • Mind Blown 1