Type keyword(s) to search

Chit-Chat: What's On Your Mind Today?

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

We all have been drawn into off-topic discussions, me included. There's little that's off-topic when it comes to Chit Chat, so the only ask is that you please remember that this is the Chit Chat topic and that there's a subforum for all things health and wellness here.

If there's something you need clarification on, please keep in mind that it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; talk to them and not about what they said.
If you disagree, consider how we can express our differing opinions and still respect the other's opinion and recognize it as valid.
We're all different people, so different perspectives and points of views are natural, welcome even for growing a healthy community. What is important is that we disagree with empathy and consideration. (If need be, check out the how do we have healthy debates guidelines for more).

• Start Topic

14 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

Is anyone else following the insanity over on WDW Info?

A Google search for WDW Info just brought up a Walt Disney World Info site.  Is that what you're referring to? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

A Google search for WDW Info just brought up a Walt Disney World Info site.  Is that what you're referring to? 

Yes. It's a fan/vacation planning site with a very active message board. THis is not the official WDW website.

10 minutes ago, ABay said:

No...what's going on?

Massive drama over on the podcast board. Lawsuits, leadership turnover, plus other things. I've been a part of the Disney fan community for decades, going back to the A.D.D days, and to those in the know, there is always some underlying fandom drama. Still, I've never, ever seen something like this at the leadership level.

• Useful 1
22 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

Yes. It's a fan/vacation planning site with a very active message board. THis is not the official WDW website.

Thanks; nothing else came up, but I didn't know if that's what you were talking about.  (I went to Disneyland several times as a kid and then as a HS senior for Grad Night, but I'm not a Disney person.)

1 hour ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

I was in several and don’t want to say which one this occurred in so as not to give away my identity. (I tend to use different usernames everywhere.)

Honestly I was just so upset and embarrassed. I get what people were trying to tell me about the job offer (I won’t detail it so to stay on topic here), but at the same time, it was weird that people were acting like my wanting to turn down a job also made me the worst person ever who had no idea what I was doing. All I said was that I didn’t want to go from a job I wasn’t in love with to another “just OK” job where I’d also be making less per hour and then have to spend more in gas money too (long commute three days a week) when gas is near $4 a gallon. Somehow everyone thought that was a reason to brigade me in downvotes and attack me. 

Reddit went through that weird revolt over some servers or platforms or something at the beginning of summer and they've gotten way worse as time has progressed. It's meaner and seems to have been taken over by school children.

• Applause 1
2 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Reddit went through that weird revolt over some servers or platforms or something at the beginning of summer and they've gotten way worse as time has progressed. It's meaner and seems to have been taken over by school children.

It seems every summer social media platforms are inundated by school children and adults pretending to be children. I have no doubt things are worse on some forums after the Reddit blackout. Thankfully, in my limited experience, the subreddits (and Discords) I hang out on haven't changed, but they are also pretty niche (other than Am I the Asshole).

• Like 2
12 hours ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

I was in several and don’t want to say which one this occurred in so as not to give away my identity. (I tend to use different usernames everywhere.)

Honestly I was just so upset and embarrassed. I get what people were trying to tell me about the job offer (I won’t detail it so to stay on topic here), but at the same time, it was weird that people were acting like my wanting to turn down a job also made me the worst person ever who had no idea what I was doing. All I said was that I didn’t want to go from a job I wasn’t in love with to another “just OK” job where I’d also be making less per hour and then have to spend more in gas money too (long commute three days a week) when gas is near $4 a gallon. Somehow everyone thought that was a reason to brigade me in downvotes and attack me. 

This is bizarre.  We have seen your postings in the jobs thread, and your reasoning seems quite rational.

• Like 3
46 minutes ago, EtheltoTillie said:

This is bizarre.  We have seen your postings in the jobs thread, and your reasoning seems quite rational.

I go to Reddit for information about products and services and such not appearing elsewhere, and occasionally to post about a show or podcast, but I don't follow any subs regularly (yet, LOL).

But haven't there always been a bunch of posts by people who didn't read the initial post or even the one to which they just replied? 
Maybe that's more common now? 
I see that even in the NY Times comments. 
I just give an irritated shrug and continue skimming to see if the info I was seeking is there and, if not, move on.

This behavior that has been going on since the advent of the internet where "nobody knows if you're a dog" is why the old TVWoP boards had such draconian rules.

Hopefully people get their rudeness out online and are more civil IRL, but I'm not so sure the online rudeness isn't just making many feel emboldened to behave even worse IRL. 

I keep thinking about crowds enjoying people being thrown to lions or the crowds around the guillotines of the French Revolution and how little has changed. 😔

Okay, I'm done being a bummer.

My Wordle post for today, in contrast was:

• After 780+ of these, no worries, just the full green leafy trees of late midsummer Rochester NY 66°F at 4am with just enough wind to pretend it’s the sound of the surf on Lake Ontario a half mile north.
    🟩🟩🟩
    🟩🟩🟩
    🟩🟩🟩
    🟩🟩🟩🟩
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

(I thought my Wordle grid looked like "leafy late midsummer trees.")

• Like 4
9 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

It seems every summer social media platforms are inundated by school children and adults pretending to be children. I have no doubt things are worse on some forums after the Reddit blackout. Thankfully, in my limited experience, the subreddits (and Discords) I hang out on haven't changed, but they are also pretty niche (other than Am I the Asshole).

Agreed. I actually enjoy reddit but I use it for entertainment and I'm not looking to develop online friends/communities there or get advice. I especially love the anti MLM sub because I despise those types of "businesses" (my cousin has been in several and it affected our relationship for a while). 

• Like 7
On 8/20/2023 at 12:05 PM, Suzn said:

None of the above.  The answer is far more complicated and personal than I would care to go into, but there are ways someone can drag you down without these obvious kind of things.  I just know I couldn't bear the thought of going on living that way.

I totally get this. 

I used to watch so much true crime, but I never really liked deadly women, the show is definitely well done from an entertainment perspective, but they only spend 20 minutes on each case (and with commercials it’s closer to 15 minutes each), and I feel like they leave a lot of information out, and if it’s a case where there was any element of self defense it’s left out all together.  

Also there are so many more men killers and it bothers me that there are so many show like this and Snapped a s Wives with Knives that focus solely on women killers. 

So many of the women-centric shows get so many details wrong. I love true crime, but I am very picky with the shows I watch (and podcasts I listen to); so many are way too tabloidy over the last decade or so. 

(There have been some exceptionally well done documentaries, but in general I find "true crime" programming exploitative, sensationalist, fearmongering, and grossly over-simplified.)

YUP!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 4
15 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

Massive drama over on the podcast board. Lawsuits, leadership turnover, plus other things. I've been a part of the Disney fan community for decades, going back to the A.D.D days, and to those in the know, there is always some underlying fandom drama. Still, I've never, ever seen something like this at the leadership level.

I'm mighty curious.  Is there a podcast board on that WDW website?  I don't see it. I'd be curious to see it.  Is it about leadership of the WDW web site or about Disney itself?  That's quite a forum, I have to say, for those who are into Disney.  The level of detail people retain about the park rides and rules for scheduling is astonishing.  It has become so complicated and difficult and expensive to visit these attractions. 

2 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

I use Reddit mostly for crafts, so it’s pretty benign. But people sometimes misunderstand what you say and downvote you. It’s rather jarring. 

I'm kind of the same. I hang out in gardening, dollhouses, cats and movies and books. 

• Like 3

This song feels like my life mantra.  I mean I'm a pretty straight forward person but there's too many fake ass people in the world.  I go from medium feeling it to really feeling it.  I also find it very hysterical as well.  

Edited by BlueSkies
  • Like 1
On 8/21/2023 at 3:08 PM, Bastet said:

A friend just sent me a link to a post on her unharmed neighborhood's NextDoor, that applies equally to mine.  It talked about assessing the damage from yesterday's storm, and how we can rebuild, with this picture:

503710175a554cdb712adffeca10b277.jpeg

Hilarious!  Now you all need to get T shirts and yard signs that say Sherman Oaks Strong! (or wherever you live).

Up here in NorCal, we got high winds and a little rain and humidity, which is enough to do us all in.  We can take earthquakes and being encircled by wildfires and pandemics, but 65% humidity?  

• LOL 3

From Pet-Peeves and the discussion about helping those who are unhoused or otherwise trying to survive

45 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

Also, he said there are places they can go for food, a shower, etc, but they don’t want to.

Some people don't want to abide by the rules support services require; however, many shelters and services are at capacity, aren't open during the day, require people to line up for hours on end hoping to get a space, etc... it's not like people can wander in for a shower, shave, and a meal and then leave.

Soup kitchens exist, as do food pantries, but the same issues persist. Limited capacity for far more people who need (and want) help than the ability to provide. It's a very nuanced issue and conversation, far beyond "there are services but they just don't want to use them (or follow the rules)".

46 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

I never know quite what to do in these kinds of situations. Maybe stock up on coupons or restaurant gift cards to hand out.

Gift cards to fast food places, or grocery stores, snack packs (granola bars, non-perishable proteins, and water) are an option.
------
Another thing people don't realize causing many to roll their eyes and wonder "Why do 7-11 and Mcdonald's accept SNAP? These people should be using their money and cooking at home" when in reality, many people who qualify for SNAP don't have the resources to shop, store food, or cook if they even have a home. An unhoused person who has been lucky enough to have the documentation to qualify for SNAP may be living in their car or on the streets.

I don't know why someone is begging and it's not my place to judge. If I have the means to offer something, I will. If I don't, I don't. 

• Like 10
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1
22 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

I don't know why someone is begging and it's not my place to judge. If I have the means to offer something, I will. If I don't, I don't. 

Same, and I don't care what they use the money on. 

I generally don't carry cash in my purse, so if someone outside a grocery store or restaurant I'm entering asks if I can spare anything, I will offer to buy them something while I'm in there.  I have never once had anyone ask for something unreasonable; one person just wanted a bottle of water. 

I do keep some bills in the little compartment in my car where I keep coins for old-school parking meters, though, for people on corners, off-ramps, etc.  I don't give to each one, but I like to have it available.

22 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

Some people don't want to abide by the rules support services require; however, many shelters and services are at capacity, aren't open during the day, require people to line up for hours on end hoping to get a space, etc... it's not like people can wander in for a shower, shave, and a meal and then leave.

Yes, people who think it's easy to access services have either been very fortunate to live in an area where that's true for everyone (please let me know where that is!) or, more likely, have never needed those services or assisted others in accessing them so simply aren't familiar with what's available (and from whom -- is it a government service, or is it a private non-profit; if the latter, is it tied to a church?) and what's involved in qualifying for and then actually obtaining those services.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 8
  • Applause 2
  • Love 2
34 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

Soup kitchens exist, as do food pantries, but the same issues persist. Limited capacity for far more people who need (and want) help than the ability to provide. It's a very nuanced issue and conversation, far beyond "there are services but they just don't want to use them (or follow the rules)".

There's also the pride/shame aspect - for all that people keep insisting that poor people should just go use these services, poor people are still judged and shamed so much as it is to where they might be embarrassed to go in there even if they know it'll benefit them. That whole "pull yourself up by your bootstraps" mentality runs so strongly through this country that people are often afraid/ashamed to ask for help even when they could/should. Because to WAY too many people, the response to seeing someone who's poor is, "Just go get a job!" 'Cause, y'know, poor people have NEVER heard that suggestion before, or ever considered that apparently oh-so-simple idea themselves, or anything. 

Another thing people don't realize causing many to roll their eyes and wonder "Why do 7-11 and Mcdonald's accept SNAP? These people should be using their money and cooking at home" when in reality, many people who qualify for SNAP don't have the resources to shop, store food, or cook if they even have a home. An unhoused person who has been lucky enough to have the documentation to qualify for SNAP may be living in their car or on the streets.

Ha, seriously, this.  And hell, even if you have the means to cook at home, I mean...when you're poor, maybe you're too stressed out about other things to want to cook. Maybe you're poor because you're working a job that barely pays minimum wage and so by the time you get home you're too tired and exhausted to cook. Maybe you're poor because you're dealing with some kind of financial stresses (like medical debt, for instance) and so you just can't really find the energy to cook right then. 

Or maybe you just want to fucking go out for a meal that isn't something you can make at home for once because hey, at least it's something different and it's one minor luxury you might want to allow yourself for a change. Apparently poor people can't ever be allowed to do anything fun with any money people give them, not even once, no, they must spend it on necessities only and they must have all their finances heavily scrutinized and judged by everyone around them to make sure they're using that money and aid in an "approved" way. 

Meanwhile rich people can blow their money on all kinds of ridiculous shit and when they go into debt everyone rushes to help pull them out of financial ruin, and that's fine, they're allowed to do that, 'cause they've got the money to do so. Apparently that's just fine. 

(To say nothing of how people have actually said that if someone has a fridge or a microwave in their house, then they can't really be considered "poor". If someone has basic appliances in their home that they use for the basic necessities, then they're either not poor at all or at least not poor enough.

And people wonder why poor people get so fed up and just say "screw it" to all of this nonsense.) 

• Like 7
  • Sad 2
  • Applause 7
1 hour ago, theredhead77 said:

So true. And many of those services are Christian based, so they often come with a side dose of religion and scripture, which a lot of people don't want forced on them. Plus, in my city and many others, we don't have a good transit system so it's difficult for people to access shelters unless they end up near them. The unhoused issue in this country is a mess and I don't think there are any easy answers. 

Edited by emma675
  • Like 9
  • Applause 2
1 hour ago, Annber03 said:

(To say nothing of how people have actually said that if someone has a fridge or a microwave in their house, then they can't really be considered "poor". If someone has basic appliances in their home that they use for the basic necessities, then they're either not poor at all or at least not poor enough.

Or a smartphone, which is a requirement of existing these days, especially for those trying to find a job. With a smartphone, you can apply for jobs (do businesses even accept paper applications anymore?), have a contact number for said company to call you, squeeze out a video interview if needed, etc... You don't even really need minutes (which can be purchased as pre-paid) if you know where free wireless hotspots are.

Don't even get me started on people who gripe that a child has a video game, or Blu-Rays, or a bike, or whatever, on their angel tree list. The reasons someone is on the list are none of my business. Maybe their parents were laid off, maybe they were gifted a gaming system by a relative, maybe their system is ancient and they're hoping the game works.  Kids can want a Jansport backpack. They should get the Jansport backpack from their gifter. That thing will last them decades. I still have mine from college. It was purchased in the late 90s and is still going strong.

1 hour ago, emma675 said:

And many of those services are Christian based, so they often come with a side dose of religion and scripture, which a lot of people don't want forced on them.

That too. They are also known for discrimination because they are faith-based and private organizations. The irony hurts my brain.

1 hour ago, emma675 said:

The unhoused issue in this country is a mess and I don't think there are any easy answers. 

100%. No easy answers, indeed.

I, personally, have been a recipient of SNAP when I lost my job in 2016. I, an educated, privileged person, had such a hard time getting approved. The letter stating I needed to go into the social services office for an interview arrived the day after the interview was to take place. Oh, and the location was at least a 20 minute drive. I have a car, so I could have made it. Someone without a car would have to struggle with mass transit and it would take 2+ hours to get there.

I was never able to reach anyone via phone. Ultimately I called my state representative's office who got the wheels spinning and someone called me. They did the interview over the phone. I knew to do that because I have the privilege and the education (knowledge) of how to get the help I need and circumvent the bullshit. When I started working again and knew I'd no longer be eligible I had to jump through hoops to have the benefits stopped.

I am the exception and my heart breaks for all those who are forced to try to survive in this broken system, so I do what I can and use the privilege and education I have to help how I can. Money is really tight right now because I bought a house. How privileged is that?! I can't give like I was and there is some guilt to it (not looking for anyone to absolve it), but when I can ramp it up again I'll be making up for lost time. I know it will work out in the end. Because I have privilege and my superpower is trying to use it for good.

Edited by theredhead77
  • Like 10
14 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I'm kind of the same. I hang out in gardening, dollhouses, cats and movies and books. 

I like the heavily moderated part of reddit. Cats and books sounds good.

• Like 2
12 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

From Pet-Peeves and the discussion about helping those who are unhoused or otherwise trying to survive

Gift cards to fast food places, or grocery stores, snack packs (granola bars, non-perishable proteins, and water) are an option.
------

THANK YOU. Seriously. And thank you too, @Bastet. Thank you everyone who was able to make these points articulately so that they may help people understand. 

That whole "pull yourself up by your bootstraps" mentality runs so strongly through this country that people are often afraid/ashamed to ask for help even when they could/should. 

I was recently reading that the origin of the "bootstrap" thing is rooted in sarcasm. The people who use the phrase don't realize that they are pretty much making fun of themselves.

https://uselessetymology.com/2019/11/07/the-origins-of-the-phrase-pull-yourself-up-by-your-bootstraps/

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 10

I felt like eating ice cream after work today.  I recall seeing McDonald's has the peanut butter McFlurry again.  I remember eating them some days after work in 2010ish.  

I got one today and it was real good.  It brought back memories of a prior job i had in 2009-2010 where I'd eat them some days after work.

Just at my age now I'm a bit more conscious of calories and sugar intake 

• Like 6
53 minutes ago, Laura Holt said:

Strange weather day - it's very close, very warm - but looking out the window it's like an early autumn day out there.  Very misleading.

I was commenting on that on the way home - I noticed on some of the trees there's little flecks of yellow amidst the leaves, like a hint of fall being just around the corner...and yet last I checked this afternoon, it was 100 degrees here, with a heat index of 110. 

Ah, Mother Nature... 

• Like 4
  • LOL 2
28 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

I was commenting on that on the way home - I noticed on some of the trees there's little flecks of yellow amidst the leaves, like a hint of fall being just around the corner...and yet last I checked this afternoon, it was 100 degrees here, with a heat index of 110. 

Ah, Mother Nature... 

Leaves can turn yellow early if the rainfall is less than usual or if the temperature is different (like 110?).
The first year I lived in Sacramento I was surprised that the leaves would turn when the weather got cool and then come back green a month later.
But I've also read that the length of the days is the main reason for leaves to change.

• Like 1
  • Useful 4
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

Leaves can turn yellow early if the rainfall is less than usual or if the temperature is different (like 110?).
The first year I lived in Sacramento I was surprised that the leaves would turn when the weather got cool and then come back green a month later.
But I've also read that the length of the days is the main reason for leaves to change.

Ah, did not know that, thanks! Yeah, that would explain that, too - we haven't had a ton of rain here this summer, no. 

• Like 4
  • Useful 1

@theredhead77 Don’t forget language privilege as well.  My grandparents had to rely on my parents for a lot of things because they didn’t speak English well (I think the bar to pass the citizenship test is fairly low).  Good thing their regular doctor spoke Cantonese .  Imagine trying to find a job.  Sure, there are  agencies that specifically serve minority language communities, but they can only do so much.  Immigrants from English or French speaking countries have tremendous advantage over those from elsewhere in here in Canada.  

• Like 4
  • Useful 2
11 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Well, I just started hearing the sign of autumn--it's a whirring sound. Not sure which creature makes the noise but as a kid I'd hear it & think, "Rats! Summer's ending". 🍁🌼🧡🎃

I should've added that nowadays I'm elated to hear this sound as it means Autumn's cool weather is getting closer. It was 60° at dawn yesterday. As Sam (on Jeopardy) would say, "Bring it!" 😊🧡

• Like 7
  • Sad 1
14 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Well, I just started hearing the sign of autumn--it's a whirring sound. Not sure which creature makes the noise but as a kid I'd hear it & think, "Rats! Summer's ending". 🍁🌼🧡🎃

Probably cicadas -- the annual kind.

• Like 6
  • Useful 2
1 hour ago, nokat said:

After the storm and earthquake in California, I'm waiting for locusts.

Wrong time of year....though there might be a plague, considering the new COVID variant.....

• Like 3
  • Sad 3
1 minute ago, PRgal said:

Wrong time of year....though there might be a plague, considering the new COVID variant.....

I am getting injected as soon as I can. Flu, RSV, shingles, covid. I don't want to suffer, and yes, a variant every year.

• Like 8
  • Applause 2

So, I guess this is pretty ignorant on my part, but I didn't realize we lost our medical privacy rights after 50 years. Why is this legal?

I found this out researching Marilyn Monroe. It was revealed she had plastic surgery due to the release of her medical records. (I'm also surprised plastic surgery back then could turn out so well!) I get that the average person's medical history is of no interest to the public, but it seems so wrong, public figure or not. 

• Like 7

Does anyone crochet? I know we have a craft forum but it's not that active.

A friend of mine is a nurse in the NICU and they are looking for people who can help crochet baby octopi for the babies in care at her hospital outside of Atlanta (can be sent via mail or she'll pick them up locally).

I said I would ask around. If you can help, please let me know!

https://crochetforbabies.com/2017/03/04/octopus-for-preemies-2-0-free-crochet-pattern-octo-project/

image.thumb.png.c672a99010ef42c4e98702e0363add59.png

• Like 5
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, RealHousewife said:

So, I guess this is pretty ignorant on my part, but I didn't realize we lost our medical privacy rights after 50 years. Why is this legal?

I found this out researching Marilyn Monroe. It was revealed she had plastic surgery due to the release of her medical records. (I'm also surprised plastic surgery back then could turn out so well!) I get that the average person's medical history is of no interest to the public, but it seems so wrong, public figure or not. 

If you send your DNA sample off to one of those ancestry research organizations, you have just entirely lost privacy rights to that info, frankly, which is why I'll never do it. We were warned that this sort of info eventually can lead to loss of medical insurance (if your DNA shows a predisposition to some horrible genetical driven disease, for example) or even employment (if your employer gets a hold of this info and decides you are a bad risk because of said DNA prognostication of a future condition). Just like the DMV sells your contact info (as do so many other entities), so your DNA can be accessed by public agencies (which is how they are catching serial killers and other murderers from the past). YMMV.

• Like 4
  • Useful 4
1 hour ago, RealHousewife said:

I don't believe there is any expiration of medical privacy rights after 50 years or ever.  Someone must have revealed them improperly.  Where did you read that the release of records was based on an expiration of privacy rights?  I'm very curious. 

1 minute ago, isalicat said:

If you send your DNA sample off to one of those ancestry research organizations, you have just entirely lost privacy rights to that info, frankly, which is why I'll never do it. We were warned that this sort of info eventually can lead to loss of medical insurance (if your DNA shows a predisposition to some horrible genetical driven disease, for example) or even employment (if your employer gets a hold of this info and decides you are a bad risk because of said DNA prognostication of a future condition). Just like the DMV sells your contact info (as do so many other entities), so your DNA can be accessed by public agencies (which is how they are catching serial killers and other murderers from the past). YMMV.

That still would not entitle anyone to see your hospital records and such.  Moreover, hospitals discard records after 7 years.  I'm suspecting someone else revealed the info about Marilyn Monroe.  Maybe Arthur Miller told someone. 

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • Like 2
  • Useful 2
8 minutes ago, EtheltoTillie said:

I don't believe there is any expiration of medical privacy rights after 50 years or ever.  Someone must have revealed them improperly.  Where did you read that the release of records was based on an expiration of privacy rights?  I'm very curious. 

That still would not entitle anyone to see your hospital records and such.  Moreover, hospitals discard records after 7 years.  I'm suspecting someone else revealed the info about Marilyn Monroe.  Maybe Arthur Miller told someone. 

I hope you're right, because that just doesn't sound right to me. What if someone has embarrassing health issues? I don't remember which site I first found that info. Marilyn's x-rays were even sold. 

Here are a couple of links though. 

https://www.hhs.gov/hipaa/for-professionals/faq/1500/do-hipaa-protections-apply-to-the-health-information-of-individuals/index.html#:~:text=Yes%2C for a period of,information of a living individual.

https://www.allure.com/story/marilyn-monroe-mystery-plastic-surgery-medical-records

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

I hope you're right, because that just doesn't sound right to me. What if someone has embarrassing health issues? I don't remember which site I first found that info. Marilyn's x-rays were even sold. 

https://www.hhs.gov/hipaa/for-professionals/faq/1500/do-hipaa-protections-apply-to-the-health-information-of-individuals/index.html#:~:text=Yes%2C for a period of,information of a living individual.

https://www.allure.com/story/marilyn-monroe-mystery-plastic-surgery-medical-records

I thought everyone knew that Marilyn Monroe had plastic surgery for decades. I've known since  was a kid. All you have to do is look at pictures of her from the forties. Different nose, different chin, etc.

• Like 7
  • Useful 2
10 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

Well, it looks like HIPAA does allow the release of records 50 years after death. Call me surprised.   And it looks like these skeevy folks sold her records 50 years after her death, like the way people sell old memorabilia.  Ugh.  This was from the individual records of the plastic surgeon.  He probably was holding on to them because she was a celebrity.  Most doctors and hospitals do indeed get rid of records for ordinary folks after 7 years.  When MM died, HIPAA wasn't even a thing.  So he was probably just holding on to those records to see what happened. 

2 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I thought everyone knew that Marilyn Monroe had plastic surgery for decades. I've known since  was a kid. All you have to do is look at pictures of her from the forties. Different nose, different chin, etc.

Yeah, but that's different from the doctor selling the actual x-rays and other records. 

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • Like 2
  • Useful 1
3 minutes ago, EtheltoTillie said:

Well, it looks like HIPAA does allow the release of records 50 years after death. Call me surprised.   And it looks like these skeevy folks sold her records 50 years after her death, like the way people sell old memorabilia.  Ugh.  This was from the individual records of the plastic surgeon.  He probably was holding on to them because she was a celebrity.  Most doctors and hospitals do indeed get rid of records for ordinary folks after 7 years.  When MM died, HIPAA wasn't even a thing.  So he was probably just holding on to those records to see what happened. 

Yeah, but that's different from the doctor selling the actual x-rays and other records. 

Is that what happened?

My DNA is out there. I was more curious than worried and I don't have any markers for diseases, but the gene pool could be used to help. I know I am naive to think positive rather than negative thoughts about it.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2

I mean not to slight anyone here who has tattoos but I saw them all over on a guy's arms today.  It looked real ugly.

What's the appeal to people?  A way to destress or the art form of it or both?  

Tattoo removal business might be something to invest in now 

• Like 5