Type keyword(s) to search

Chit-Chat: What's On Your Mind Today?

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

We all have been drawn into off-topic discussions, me included. There's little that's off-topic when it comes to Chit Chat, so the only ask is that you please remember that this is the Chit Chat topic and that there's a subforum for all things health and wellness here.

If there's something you need clarification on, please keep in mind that it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; talk to them and not about what they said.
If you disagree, consider how we can express our differing opinions and still respect the other's opinion and recognize it as valid.
We're all different people, so different perspectives and points of views are natural, welcome even for growing a healthy community. What is important is that we disagree with empathy and consideration. (If need be, check out the how do we have healthy debates guidelines for more).

• Start Topic

(edited)

I loved Barbie stuff as a young girl but not after age 10. I had boys so no Barbie’s then I wound up with four granddaughters (so far) and they are if-ish with Barbie. I have had zero interest at all in Barbie after my childhood and yet I find myself anticipating when the movie will wind up coming to tv. I guess since I will be viewing it as an adult spoof and not a children’s version I think just the movie will be cool. I am not paying any attention to the extra marketing so maybe that makes a difference.

Edited by stewedsquash
  • Like 3

Got two pints of hand packed ice cream at the neighbourhood ice cream place yesterday (hey, it was international ice cream day) and had it for dessert.  One was half my favourite (apple cinnamon) and half my husband’s (cookie dough) and the other was blueberry swirl froyo.  I asked my son which one he liked most and he picked mine.   

• LOL 5

Not sure if it should be here or in music, but I bought a record player on Prime Day and I’m now trying to build my collection.  My parents don’t have anything I could inherit save for an unopened soundtrack for Two of a Kind with John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John.  I’m 99% sure they had a Barbra Streisand record but they couldn’t find it.  So anything I really need to have?  I bought Thriller (though you will never get me to watch the video.  It gave me nightmares 40 years ago and will still do now) and a few compilations (Queen, Elton John and ABBA).  Anything else?  I’m thinking Joni Mitchell and Janis Joplin.  I really need women singers.  

• Like 1
12 hours ago, PRgal said:

He’s not even the kid’s “main Ken,” assuming she has more than one.  Because why would you need more than one

I had at least 2 ( a blonde and a brunette) possibly 3.  But I had an insane amount of barbies.  Don't know why I had so many.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, partofme said:

I had at least 2 ( a blonde and a brunette) possibly 3.  But I had an insane amount of barbies.  Don't know why I had so many.

I didn't have too many, though I DID want the Barbie Corvette that you could actually sit in.  I kind of secretly coveted that since I KNEW my parents wouldn't get that for me. 

• Wink 1
17 minutes ago, partofme said:

I was a deprived child.  I never had a Ken doll.  My Barbies had to date my brother's GI Joes instead.

• Wink 1
  • LOL 9
20 hours ago, Blergh said:

On a totally different topic,has anyone here experienced getting connecting flights canceled ,then having to wait hours standing in line for customer service ,etc.?

I've always been able to reschedule through the airline app.

52 minutes ago, Laura Holt said:

I was a deprived child.  I never had a Ken doll.  My Barbies had to date my brother's GI Joes instead.

GI Joe was much hotter! I only ever had one Barbie. I pulled her head off, cut off all her hair and put the head in a cauldron I had for my Troll dolls. I did have Liddle Kiddles though. Man, I loved them so much, I still collect them.

image.png.b39be7f8873b5c89214cf6056aa796ff.png

• Like 3
  • LOL 4
12 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

GI Joe was much hotter! I only ever had one Barbie. I pulled her head off, cut off all her hair and put the head in a cauldron I had for my Troll dolls. I did have Liddle Kiddles though. Man, I loved them so much, I still collect them.

image.png.b39be7f8873b5c89214cf6056aa796ff.png

Pulled her head off??  A girl who came to my birthday one year pulled my new Barbie’s leg off!!  I taped it back but it wasn’t the same since you can’t make her sit.  

• Hugs 4
  • LOL 1
(edited)

My local Church Im pretty bored with.  I don’t feel I get much out of the service 

So I went and heard service at a church I went to as a kid.  Trying another one out this weekend I used to go to as well.

See if that helps 

Edited by BlueSkies
  • Like 5
(edited)
3 hours ago, PRgal said:

Not sure if it should be here or in music, but I bought a record player on Prime Day and I’m now trying to build my collection.  My parents don’t have anything I could inherit save for an unopened soundtrack for Two of a Kind with John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John.  I’m 99% sure they had a Barbra Streisand record but they couldn’t find it.  So anything I really need to have?  I bought Thriller (though you will never get me to watch the video.  It gave me nightmares 40 years ago and will still do now) and a few compilations (Queen, Elton John and ABBA).  Anything else?  I’m thinking Joni Mitchell and Janis Joplin.  I really need women singers.  

Carole King/Tapestry - Carly Simon/No Secrets - Melissa Manchester/Melissa - Adele/19 & 21 - Diana Ross/Supremes/I'd pick a compilation - Whitney Houston/Whitney Houston - Anita Baker/Rapture

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Like 6
15 hours ago, PRgal said:

Plus Ryan looks like a washed up Ken.  Why didn’t they cast someone under 35?  He’s like the Ken that some kid decided to keep in the bottom of her toy box.  He’s not even the kid’s “main Ken,” assuming she has more than one.  Because why would you need more than one? #sorrynotsorry 

I had more then one, but then my main Ken had no lower body.

• Mind Blown 1
  • LOL 2
36 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Carole King/Tapestry - Carly Simon/No Secrets - Melissa Manchester/Melissa - Adele/19 & 21 - Diana Ross/Supremes/I'd pick a compilation - Whitney Houston/Whitney Houston - Anita Baker/Rapture

And reach into the nineties - Alanis Morissette, Natalie Merchant, Sarah Mclachlan, Fiona Apple, Jewel, Dido and Sheryl Crow. Oh and The Cranberries.

• Like 6
1 hour ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

I have both Adele recordings on my phone.  Is it worth getting the vinyl?  

1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

And reach into the nineties - Alanis Morissette, Natalie Merchant, Sarah Mclachlan, Fiona Apple, Jewel, Dido and Sheryl Crow. Oh and The Cranberries.

Definitely the Lilith gals!!! Though I still have their CDs.  

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, PRgal said:

I have both Adele recordings on my phone.  Is it worth getting the vinyl?  

Definitely the Lilith gals!!! Though I still have their CDs.  

Surfacing was one of those albums, like Tapestry that everybody has regardless of whether they're metal fans, soul fans or rap fans. Albums that just transcend genres.

• Like 3
8 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Surfacing was one of those albums, like Tapestry that everybody has regardless of whether they're metal fans, soul fans or rap fans. Albums that just transcend genres.

Surfacing = one of my favourites.  Like I said, I still have the CD from way back when.  

• Like 2
17 hours ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

Random thought of the day and possibly unpopular opinion:

I don’t care one bit about the Barbie movie and all the hype coming with it. I saw some previews and it just looks stupid and too over the top, and Ryan Gosling doesn’t even look that hot as Ken. 

No offense to anyone who does want to see it. But it’s one of those things that’s too “in your face” for my taste especially when even the ice cream places are doing the Barbie themed sundae, milkshake or ice cream flavor.

I want to see it because I loved Barbie as a child, and it looks cute. However, I am surprised by all the hype. I didn't think the average person would care much. I've hear some complaints about Ken not doing much in the movie and not setting a good example for boys/men. I didn't think a Barbie movie would be taken so seriously. 

17 hours ago, PRgal said:

Plus Ryan looks like a washed up Ken.  Why didn’t they cast someone under 35?  He’s like the Ken that some kid decided to keep in the bottom of her toy box.  He’s not even the kid’s “main Ken,” assuming she has more than one.  Because why would you need more than one? #sorrynotsorry 

lol My sister doesn't think Ryan should have been cast either. I forgot who she would have picked. I don't know who I would have cast, but I find Ryan hot. I also just really like him as an actor. Loved The Notebook. 

I was shocked by all the people who thought Margot Robbie wasn't pretty enough to play Barbie. I think she's one of the most beautiful women I've ever seen. 

• Like 2
(edited)

If Greta Gerwig actually pulls off a feminist film about Barbie of all things, I'll see it when it comes to streaming/TV, but I have no interest in any of the promotion for the film and it's definitely not anything I'd pay to see.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 6
(edited)
20 minutes ago, jennifer6973 said:

I honestly don't  remember.  I think I may have had a tug of war with my brother.

Benefits of being an only child…other than that party guest who mutilated my Barbie (she was not welcome back at my house), most of my toys only broke because I played with them too much (okay, I broke some Holly Hobbie plates, but they were ceramic!).

Edited by PRgal
  • LOL 2
(edited)

Hmmm...MrP914 said today that he wants to see "Barbie" 🧐. He said he's read up on it & it's about Mattel. He used to have Mattel as an account when he was in marketing with IBM. I told him it's for teens & adults who had Barbie dolls. Oy vey! What is this movie about? He just said he read a lengthy article in Business Week. 

Edited by annzeepark914
  • Useful 3
14 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

What is this movie about?

According to an article posted in the film's thread:

If you are wondering whether Barbie is a satire of a toy company’s capitalist ambitions, a searing indictment of the current fraught state of gender relations, a heartwarming if occasionally clichéd tribute to girl power, or a musical spectacle filled with earworms from Nicki Minaj and Dua Lipa, the answer is yes. All of the above. And then some.

• Like 3
  • Useful 5
  • LOL 2
7 hours ago, Laura Holt said:

My Barbies were all single and happy, they only cared about their clothes.

Maybe a bit of prediction for me?

• Wink 1
  • LOL 4
8 hours ago, PRgal said:

Anything else?  I’m thinking Joni Mitchell and Janis Joplin.  I really need women singers.

What the others suggested.

Are later albums on vinyl?

Garbage, perhaps? Enya? Evanescence? Jem? Jewel? Tori Amos.

Kate Bush. Marla Glen. Madonna?

Nina Simone. Donna Summer. Patti Smith. Tina Turner. Stevie Nicks.

Portishead.

Just digging through my albeit digital collection.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, supposebly said:

What the others suggested.

Are later albums on vinyl?

Garbage, perhaps? Enya? Evanescence? Jem? Jewel? Tori Amos.

Kate Bush. Marla Glen. Madonna?

Nina Simone. Donna Summer. Patti Smith. Tina Turner. Stevie Nicks.

Portishead.

Just digging through my albeit digital collection.

I saw Patti Smith at the Paramount is Seattle. She was fantastic.

• Like 2
(edited)

Also: Sara McLaughlin, Jann Ardenn, Amanda Marshall, Carly Simon, K.D. Laing, Cher, Cass Elliot, Yvonne Elliman, Patsy Cline, Dusty Springfield, Petula Clark and if you want to go even further back, Doris Day and Rosemary Clooney.  

Edited by Laura Holt
  • Like 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, JustHereForFood said:

My Barbies were all single and happy, they only cared about their clothes.

Maybe a bit of prediction for me?

Mom sent Barbies for my 3 daughters; they aren’t something I would have bought. They never had a Ken. My youngest daughter got married anyway.

All the women in the last 4 generations cared about clothes. 

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 1

I had the best dressed Barbies in town.  I remember one Christmas my mother making a whole wardrobe for them. Anyway big fan back in the day.  I've lost the knack of playing with Barbies though, my 5 yr old granddaughter is really into them now and all I do when I "play Barbies" is brush their hair and change their clothes.   She seems satisfied with this contribution though so it's all good.

• Like 4
  • Hugs 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

This was my favorite Barbie growing up, which is weird because I never liked wearing pink myself, but I thought her outfit was soooo pretty  

image.jpeg

Edited by partofme
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

@partofme You reminded me of the time my daughter convinced me, against my better judgement, to buy her Ice Capades Barbie because she loved the outfit.  Well 5 minutes after this pricey little number was in the house the outfit was tossed and she looked just like any of the dozen or so other Barbies my daughter had.  I've never quite forgiven her for this 😄!

• Like 1
  • LOL 3

Besides having Barbie and 1 1/2 Ken dolls, I also had Theresa (Brown haired friend of Barbie) and Skipper.

I carried them all around in a brown paper grocery bag with all their clothes in there also.

If I knew my cousin's were going to be at my grandmother's house on Sunday,  I would bring it along and play with all of us in front of the front door.  There's a picture of this somewhere.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, PRgal said:

I didn't have too many, though I DID want the Barbie Corvette that you could actually sit in.  I kind of secretly coveted that since I KNEW my parents wouldn't get that for me. 

I loved the horses. I had one that was light brown, and the black one was my favourite. This one:

56272983_1_x.jpg?height=300&quality=95&v

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2
(edited)

I don't want to make anyone jealous but my Barbies had a blue roadster, a pool and a camper van as well as  two houses.  One "boughten" and one my Mom made.  Looking back on all the stuff my sisters and I had for our Barbies I'm left wondering what my parents had against getting us Ken!!

Edited by Laura Holt
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

I had Barbies as a kid, and I mainly remember having them live in my Fisher Price kitchenette, which I naturally decided in my kid wisdom should instead be turned into an apartment complex. And they often lived there with a lot of stuffed/toy hand puppets that I would get from various restaurants as well :p. 

I did have a Barbie house that a few of my dolls lived in, though, as well as a Barbie convertible. But I often tried to pack as many Barbies into and onto that convertible as I could, so they weren't exactly practicing safe driving :p. 

I also had a tendency to switch the dolls' heads around to different bodies. Why? I don't know. 

• Like 9
1 minute ago, Annber03 said:

I had Barbies as a kid, and I mainly remember having them live in my Fisher Price kitchenette, which I naturally decided in my kid wisdom should instead be turned into an apartment complex. And they often lived there with a lot of stuffed/toy hand puppets that I would get from various restaurants as well :p. 

I did have a Barbie house that a few of my dolls lived in, though, as well as a Barbie convertible. But I often tried to pack as many Barbies into and onto that convertible as I could, so they weren't exactly practicing safe driving :p. 

I also had a tendency to switch the dolls' heads around to different bodies. Why? I don't know. 

Well that's a lot better then living in a brown paper bag.

• LOL 6

I think I've mentioned this before, but I had Growing Up Skipper, who got boobs when you turned her arm a certain way.  She got flat-chested again when you turned her arm the other way.

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 6