Type keyword(s) to search

Chit-Chat: What's On Your Mind Today?

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

We all have been drawn into off-topic discussions, me included. There's little that's off-topic when it comes to Chit Chat, so the only ask is that you please remember that this is the Chit Chat topic and that there's a subforum for all things health and wellness here.

If there's something you need clarification on, please keep in mind that it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; talk to them and not about what they said.
If you disagree, consider how we can express our differing opinions and still respect the other's opinion and recognize it as valid.
We're all different people, so different perspectives and points of views are natural, welcome even for growing a healthy community. What is important is that we disagree with empathy and consideration. (If need be, check out the how do we have healthy debates guidelines for more).

• Start Topic

(edited)

I use Reddit only for the Seinfeld comments. A lot of the posts are funny.

When I was a kid, I often listened to my parents' albums (Glenn Miller, Ray Anthony, etc). My dad was a professional musician so he had a Fakebook (it's what musicians who play in bands use). After practicing my piano lessons, I'd play stuff from that, plus a lot of old sheet music inside the piano bench. Good music is good to hear/play no matter the era.

Edited by annzeepark914
  • Like 11
(edited)
5 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Good music is good to hear/play no matter the era.

When I was growing up my parents had a collection of records put out by, hmmm maybe Reader's Digest?, anyway each record was a decade of music.  I loved it and could spend hours listening to the popular songs from each era.  I don't know if "kids today" are exposed to this kind of walk down memory lane music, but I am glad I was.

Edited by Dimity
  • Like 9
On 8/15/2024 at 4:51 PM, oliviabenson said:

I am not on here much anymore, I prefer Reddit. 

Just curious as to why you prefer Reddit?  I find it impossible to navigate.

On 8/16/2024 at 12:22 AM, shapeshifter said:

Today I sang my 7-month-old grandbaby to sleep with "Mairzy Doats," a 1943 song that my Mom used to sing occasionally in the 50s and 60s when I was a child.

Glad to know you're not the only one singing their (grand)child to sleep with classics.

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Ancaster said:

I find it impossible to navigate.

Sometimes a friend will send me a link to an "Am I the Asshole" thread and I'll fall down the rabbit hole of reading some others, but I wouldn't want to participate in a discussion on Reddit, as I hate the way replies are organized.

• Like 8

I use Reddit to ask questions about really specific issues, like replacing my 50-year-old, avocado-green toilet's broken seat, LOL.
Sometimes the answers themselves aren't exactly what I need, but they can help point me in the right direction.

• Like 3
  • Useful 2
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

Sometimes a friend will send me a link to an "Am I the Asshole" thread and I'll fall down the rabbit hole of reading some others, but I wouldn't want to participate in a discussion on Reddit, as I hate the way replies are organized.

I like a few topics that are heavily moderated,  and I get a laugh from choosingbeggars. 

• Like 2
(edited)

This morning a song from back in the day got stuck in my noggin: 🎶Oooo eee ooo ah ah, ting tang walla walla bing bang...🎶. Anyone remember this gem? It also reminded me that there aren't any novelty songs for kids to sing along with (while driving their parents nuts 😁), and haven't been in many years.

Edited by annzeepark914
  • Like 6
  • Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, annzeepark914 said:

This morning a song from back in the day got stuck in my noggin: 🎶Oooo eee ooo ah ah, ting tang walla walla bing bang...🎶. Anyone remember this gem? It also reminded me that there aren't any novelty songs for kids to sing along with (while driving their parents nuts 😁), and haven't been in many years.

It is called The Witch Doctor

Edited by Gramto6
  • Like 4

So I put in an order for pick up. Here are items you may have forgotten. Okay.  Bags of ice and enough alcohol to have a banging party. Thanks but no. Are you sure you don't want 50 lbs of nacho chips?  No. Probably no to the next few questions.

• LOL 6
13 hours ago, Bastet said:

Same here, I hate the way replies are organized and feel like if you don't reply to something immediately the thread gets "cold" right away. I also find navigating Reddit annoying in general and not that easy.

13 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I use Reddit to ask questions about really specific issues, like replacing my 50-year-old, avocado-green toilet's broken seat, LOL.
Sometimes the answers themselves aren't exactly what I need, but they can help point me in the right direction.

Yes, when I google on a "how to" question the answers that pop up on Reddit are often helpful.

I also like googling on what people's opinions are on all sorts of timely topics on current events and other issues. There used to be more places to find those opinions like under news articles but increasingly those sites have eliminated their comments sections so Reddit is a good place to go to see how people are feeling about things.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

Last night, one of our PBS stations aired the 1981 Simon and Garfunkel Central Park concert. I always try to catch it as the music is great. My husband said it was 43 years ago 😲. There were *lots* of people at the concert and as I looked at them, I wondered how many are now grandparents! My other observation was that this concert was back when S & G were still friends. It was nice to see them patting each other on the back. 

• Like 9
2 hours ago, oliviabenson said:

Also fun group chats!

I've found the best place for these are places like FB groups where I've been very fortunate to "meet" some truly lovely people.  I admit most of the people I've come across on reddit :donning my Dowager Duchess hat: are simply not my kind of people.

• Like 4
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 2
13 minutes ago, oliviabenson said:

I saw the new Laci Peterson special on Netflix. I didn’t realize she passed more than 20 years ago!

I forgot the details tbh, it refreshed my memory.

She didn’t pass, she was murdered by her husband, along with their baby. She was 8 months pregnant.

• Like 11
  • Sad 5
30 minutes ago, Dimity said:

I've found the best place for these are places like FB groups where I've been very fortunate to "meet" some truly lovely people.  I admit most of the people I've come across on reddit :donning my Dowager Duchess hat: are simply not my kind of people.

Reddit has too many horny men who will send chat requests 24/7.

On 8/17/2024 at 3:01 PM, Dimity said:

When I was growing up my parents had a collection of records put out by, hmmm maybe Reader's Digest?

Time Life? Their commercials were everywhere for awhile. Then they moved on to infomercials. I'm not sure if they still do them or not.

My Mom loved Michael Bolton in the 90's. I used to joke that he would almost make my ears bleed from having to hear his music in the car all of the time.

• Like 2

I used to watch those music infomercials all the time. Another way in which i learned about varios artists and songs. 

As for Reddit, I'm on there, but mainly in subreddits for TV shows or fanfic sites. Havent had any weirdos hit on me thus far, but yeah, some subreddits can be rather hit and miss in that regard, from what I've heard. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Jaded said:

My Mom loved Michael Bolton in the 90's. I used to joke that he would almost make my ears bleed from having to hear his music in the car all of the time.

My mother loved him too in the '90s, which was very out of character for her both men and music-wise. Thankfully I didn't have to listen to his music, though!

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
2 hours ago, Annber03 said:

As for Reddit, I'm on there, but mainly in subreddits for TV shows or fanfic sites. Havent had any weirdos hit on me thus far, but yeah, some subreddits can be rather hit and miss in that regard, from what I've heard. 

So let me get this straight - There are men hitting on women sight-unseen without knowing anything about them including their age on Reddit? Why do I think those are probably scam artists and catfishes and not even real creepy men?

• Like 5
2 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

So let me get this straight - There are men hitting on women sight-unseen without knowing anything about them including their age on Reddit? Why do I think those are probably scam artists and catfishes and not even real creepy men?

Eh, it could be, but also, this is just a problem on the internet in general. Guys see women online and apparently think that's an invitation to hit on them. Women have talked many times about how tough it can be to navigate many online spaces because of how creepy and offputting men can be on there. Some women even use neutral/male usernames to try and blend in better and avoid that kind of behavior. 

• Like 7
3 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

Eh, it could be, but also, this is just a problem on the internet in general. Guys see women online and apparently think that's an invitation to hit on them. Women have talked many times about how tough it can be to navigate many online spaces because of how creepy and offputting men can be on there. Some women even use neutral/male usernames to try and blend in better and avoid that kind of behavior. 

It happens a lot on Facebook when women post on public pages. The "men's" profiles look fake and they all use the same creepy "form letter" way of writing. So at least there those types of messages are not done by real creeps but fake scammers. I've had it happen to me and have seen it happen to others. Not being on Reddit that much I don't really know what's going on there but it just sounded familiar. Also I've read in a few places that most of those kinds of come-ons anywhere online are from scammers and not real people.

• Useful 6
50 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

I’m sure some are scammers. But plenty are real married guys looking for dirty chats and maybe meet up for real. And yes they hit on other Reddit users sight unseen. At this point I do not accept any chat requests. 

• Like 3
7 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Last night, one of our PBS stations aired the 1981 Simon and Garfunkel Central Park concert. I always try to catch it as the music is great. My husband said it was 43 years ago 😲. There were *lots* of people at the concert and as I looked at them, I wondered how many are now grandparents! My other observation was that this concert was back when S & G were still friends. It was nice to see them patting each other on the back. 

My son-in-law has a DVD of that concert and played it recently. I hadn't seen it before. I think we were googling that their relationship was strained and noticing it in their faces?

3 hours ago, Annber03 said:

Some guys hit on women online as a form of emotional assault, I guess because they have had real or imagined rejection and want to express their resentment?

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
3 hours ago, oliviabenson said:

I’m sure some are scammers. But plenty are real married guys looking for dirty chats and maybe meet up for real. And yes they hit on other Reddit users sight unseen. At this point I do not accept any chat requests. 

Well it's good to hear that you don't accept any chat requests, but there are plenty of threads on Reddit warning people that something like 90% of them are from scammers. They start out acting like they are lonely guys looking to chat up women when that's just how they get started. After a bit of what seems like a real chat they usually ask to go to another chat app. It also happens to men from "women". Many of the people replying on those warning threads say that they've only been contacted by scammers on the dating threads. If they follow up with them some ask for nude photos and if they get them they then threaten to post them where the person's friends and family can see them unless you send them money. Of course some aren't scammers but as far as I'm reading they're in the minority. It happens a lot on dating sites too. I've read that some people are totally disgusted with dating sites these days because of that.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2

I’m sitting here convalescing from a nasty sinus infection since the beginning of June.  It was during the time when the pollen was at the highest and green.  It probably went up my nose and in my ears, but good.  It lasted so long, I was sent  for a MRI, CT SCAN and and everything turned out normal.  I did lose over 30 lbs as I had no appetite.  So, that’s how I spent my summer.  Sorry to bore you all.

It’s Monday, the day after the storm, but still lingering here n there.  More is coming.  We live on the second highest mountain on Long Island, so I’m not worried about flooding.   I am concerned about some posters that live in Connecticut.  It’s too soon to hear I guess.  The tv said there’s more to come tonight.  Lovely.  I only hope the posters we know are safe and sound, plus posters we don’t know.  It’s all unselltling.  To those I keep in touch with, I couldn’t text as I was waiting for my Son to fix my I pad.  It was a matter of a few weeks.  I was watching lots of Turner Classics.  Xo Kristen 111

• Mind Blown 1
  • Hugs 17

We had flooding in our county, the week before last. About twenty minutes away, not here.  I couldn’t believe what I was seeing, when I checked social media that night.  

• Useful 3
On 8/14/2024 at 4:34 PM, Dimity said:

I have grandkids who go back week after next and two who don't go back until after Labour Day.  I know at the end of the day it's only a one week difference but my inner 12 year old is screaming "go back to school in August?? no way!"

I have six Grandkds.  They live local.  I can’t depend on them entertaining us everyday.  They have their own friends, not hang out with us before I got sick.  I’ve been on here for many years until this year.  The problem is boredom.  We’ve exhausted all interesting topics.  Who wants to talk about what color your kitchen untesils are, or what type butter you use.

9 minutes ago, EtheltoTillie said:

Sorry to hear this @kristen111  .  I was wondering what happened to you. Hope you are on the mend. Rain was crazy in the NY metro area yesterday. 

It was nice hearing from you.  Did you go to the Hamptons for the summer?

• Like 2

I am back from Boothbay Maine, fabulous experience, and a stop in Portland for a concert of Lake Street Dive.  Drove past LL Bean.  Was in it about 20 years ago.

I get "friend" messages from men on Words With Friends.  I give them one chance to stop and then end game.  "Hi pretty lady".  Really?  There is no picture of me.  I am almost 81

• Like 10
  • LOL 3
3 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

I am back from Boothbay Maine, fabulous experience,

I love Boothbay Harbor!  We went for a week when my husband was stationed in the Boston area.  It was one of the many locations where the movie 'Carousel' was filmed.  Highly recommended for a visit! 

• Useful 3
21 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Well it's good to hear that you don't accept any chat requests, but there are plenty of threads on Reddit warning people that something like 90% of them are from scammers. They start out acting like they are lonely guys looking to chat up women when that's just how they get started. After a bit of what seems like a real chat they usually ask to go to another chat app. It also happens to men from "women". Many of the people replying on those warning threads say that they've only been contacted by scammers on the dating threads. If they follow up with them some ask for nude photos and if they get them they then threaten to post them where the person's friends and family can see them unless you send them money. Of course some aren't scammers but as far as I'm reading they're in the minority. It happens a lot on dating sites too. I've read that some people are totally disgusted with dating sites these days because of that.

That’s the scam targeting teens. Some teens committed suicide due to the nude picture scam. Reddit is probably similar, but it’s more anonymous most people do not post pictures of themselves.

People please don’t send nudes to anyone. Just don’t do it.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Fire 2
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
(edited)

@kristen111 sorry to hear you haven't been well. Missed your posts. I hope you will be back to 100% soon. It really sux to be sick in the Summer!!

Here in MT we have been having huge thunderstorms and rain seems like every other day. We had such strong winds a couple of days ago it blew a two seat metal framed wood seat porch swing all the way off my porch. They call the phenomenon a Gustnado. Swirling winds on the front of a storm, that can cause severe damage. It isn't a tornado more like a huge powerful dust devil. It was scary none the less! 

Edited by Gramto6
  • Like 1
  • Hugs 6
6 hours ago, kristen111 said:

I’m sitting here convalescing from a nasty sinus infection since the beginning of June.  It was during the time when the pollen was at the highest and green.  It probably went up my nose and in my ears, but good.  It lasted so long, I was sent  for a MRI, CT SCAN and and everything turned out normal.  I did lose over 30 lbs as I had no appetite.  So, that’s how I spent my summer.  Sorry to bore you all.

It’s Monday, the day after the storm, but still lingering here n there.  More is coming.  We live on the second highest mountain on Long Island, so I’m not worried about flooding.   I am concerned about some posters that live in Connecticut.  It’s too soon to hear I guess.  The tv said there’s more to come tonight.  Lovely.  I only hope the posters we know are safe and sound, plus posters we don’t know.  It’s all unselltling.  To those I keep in touch with, I couldn’t text as I was waiting for my Son to fix my I pad.  It was a matter of a few weeks.  I was watching lots of Turner Classics.  Xo Kristen 111

Hi, @kristen111 we missed you, it's nice to see you back but sorry to hear about your sinus trouble. This has been the most horrible Summer in our area weather-wise and otherwise. You and I have had similar issues. I had a horrible cold after my cruise and bad post nasal drip for a month. I didn't get enough sleep because of the coughing so I felt miserable. The dr. prescribed prednisone because I can't take antihistamines and that was almost as bad but it did help. I wish I had lost 30 lbs., though. I can't lose weight for love or money. I didn't eat much for a month and barely lost the 4 lbs. I gained on the cruise. Then I went on another cruise and gained the 4 lbs. back. I'm finally feeling better, though!

Speaking of CT, we only got 3.5 inches in my area but down in Fairfield County I heard about 10, 12, even 13.5 inches in some towns in one day! The flooding was horrific! My husband was driving home from work in that yesterday and they closed the highway in some places because of flooding! I worry about him all the time these days. Between the crazy drivers and the weather it's been unbelievable. I feel like I've spent most of the Summer indoors because either it's been incredibly hot and humid or raining or both, or I've been as sick as a dog.

Thanks for checking in and I hope to see more of you in the future.

• Like 3
  • Hugs 3
17 hours ago, Kimboweena said:

I love Boothbay Harbor!  We went for a week when my husband was stationed in the Boston area.  It was one of the many locations where the movie 'Carousel' was filmed.  Highly recommended for a visit! 

I should have said Boothbay Harbor because that's where we were, right on the water.  Wonderful experience!!

• Like 1
  • Love 1
On 8/19/2024 at 11:14 PM, Gramto6 said:

@kristen111 sorry to hear you haven't been well. Missed your posts. I hope you will be back to 100% soon. It really sux to be sick in the Summer!!

Here in MT we have been having huge thunderstorms and rain seems like every other day. We had such strong winds a couple of days ago it blew a two seat metal framed wood seat porch swing all the way off my porch. They call the phenomenon a Gustnado. Swirling winds on the front of a storm, that can cause severe damage. It isn't a tornado more like a huge powerful dust devil. It was scary none the less! 

Thank you.  Nice to hear from you.  I don’t know how you cope when sick.  Who makes you food?  Who gets you things?, etc.  I give you credit. 🥰

On 8/20/2024 at 8:04 AM, Mindthinkr said:

@kristen111 I’m glad to see you back, and hope your health will be good going forward. The allergies were terrible this year and I’m sorry they hit you so hard. 

On 8/20/2024 at 8:04 AM, Mindthinkr said:

@kristen111 I’m glad to see you back, and hope your health will be good going forward. The allergies were terrible this year and I’m sorry they hit you so hard. 

• Like 1
Just now, kristen111 said:

Thank you.  Nice to hear from you.  I don’t know how you cope when sick.  Who makes you food?  Who gets you things?, etc.  I give you credit. 🥰

Sorry I was answering Mindthinkr.   It was weird.  We were sitting on the swing and a big gust of green wind went by us.  Green pollen possibly?.  I had a MRI or something in the hospital.  It was clear.   ???????

• Useful 2
(edited)
18 hours ago, kristen111 said:

Sorry I was answering Mindthinkr.   It was weird.  We were sitting on the swing and a big gust of green wind went by us.  Green pollen possibly?.  I had a MRI or something in the hospital.  It was clear.   ???????

Probably pollen. It's the stuff that covers cars in spring & early summer.  Today we're having the best weather in ages! Upper 60s-low 70s and I've been airing out the house. I'm so sorry you've been feeling miserable. Allergies can really wreak havoc on our bodies 🥴

Edited by annzeepark914
  • Like 2
On 8/18/2024 at 12:11 PM, oliviabenson said:

Many discussions about topics that interest me: cats, families like the Rod family, MLM, news etc.

Also fun group chats!

What's the Rod family?

On 8/19/2024 at 7:40 PM, oliviabenson said:

That’s the scam targeting teens. Some teens committed suicide due to the nude picture scam. Reddit is probably similar, but it’s more anonymous most people do not post pictures of themselves.

People please don’t send nudes to anyone. Just don’t do it.

It boggles my mind that anyone would send nude photos over the phone/Internet.  Don't they have parents/teachers telling them not to?

• Like 4
12 hours ago, kristen111 said:

WhenI am sick, I have a crew of three that do everything for me: me, myself, and I! LOL! 😸

I have lived alone for 27 years since DH passed away. I always keep some canned soups in the pantry and assorted left over meals in the freezer. I stock the big containers of yogurt in the fridge and have saltine crackers around. Usually it is enough to get me through just about anything. Housework comes to a stop and laundry etc. I do have my cats that need to be fed, around 40 of them outside and one inside. A friend comes to help with that if I need it. I am pretty self sufficient and really rather do things myself in most cases. It works for now, but at 75 I wonder how much longer I will be able to push through just about anything like I do now. I guess where there is a will there will be a way!!

So far I've been lucky, I'm sure one of my kids would come from CA if the situation really demanded it.

• Like 11
  • Hugs 1
  • Love 5
8 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Today we're having the best weather in ages! Upper 60s-low 70s and I've been airing out the house. 

I've been loving the cool, dry weather. It felt more like Nova Scotia in the past 2 days than Florida, which is what it's felt like all Summer.

I got very sad this evening. We had devastating floods here in CT in Fairfield County a few days ago and 2 women, one 71 and the other in her mid-60s died in flash floods while driving in Oxford, CT. Emergency crews and good Samaritans tried to save them but they were knocked over and swept away in the rushing waters. The TV news showed a photo of one of them. I started crying. How horrible. I have to wonder if knowing how to swim might have helped. I was always a very good swimmer when I was young but who knows what a situation like that would be like? Water like that can overwhelm you. I think about how we get more vulnerable as we get older and situations like that can be more difficult for us to handle.

And the weather is getting more volatile and unpredictable all the time. Even today when I was in the supermarket we had a sudden strong thunderstorm. I was outside only 5 minutes beforehand. The sky was blue with big puffy clouds and beautiful - no sign of rain at all anywhere. Then suddenly I heard the torrential water on the roof of the supermarket. How was that even possible? I'm glad I was indoors. Fortunately it passed quickly. But what if it didn't? I read that the reason why the storms dumped 13 inches of rain on Oxford and that area was because of the weather pattern with hurricane Ernesto out in the Atlantic. It was stalling the thunderstorms over the Northeast in some areas. This is record, unprecedented weather and it sucks.

I'm enjoying the nice weather while I can but I have a sinking feeling the constant rain is coming back next week. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 8

1 hour ago, Gramto6 said:

WhenI am sick, I have a crew of three that do everything for me: me, myself, and I! LOL! 😸

I have lived alone for 27 years since DH passed away. I always keep some canned soups in the pantry and assorted left over meals in the freezer. I stock the big containers of yogurt in the fridge and have saltine crackers around. Usually it is enough to get me through just about anything. Housework comes to a stop and laundry etc. I do have my cats that need to be fed, around 40 of them outside and one inside. A friend comes to help with that if I need it. I am pretty self sufficient and really rather do things myself in most cases. It works for now, but at 75 I wonder how much longer I will be able to push through just about anything like I do now. I guess where there is a will there will be a way!!

So far I've been lucky, I'm sure one of my kids would come from CA if the situation really demanded it.

Would you consider moving to California?

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I have to wonder if knowing how to swim might have helped. I was always a very good swimmer when I was young but who knows what a situation like that would be like? Water like that can overwhelm you. I think about how we get more vulnerable as we get older and situations like that can be more difficult for us to handle.

Short answer is no. Rushing water like that overwhelms everything in its path and even the best swimmer would most likely drown. The other issue is everything else the water is carrying away plus whatever is underneath it, so even if you could keep your head up and try to float there are too many other dangers. 

• Like 7
  • Useful 2
53 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Short answer is no. Rushing water like that overwhelms everything in its path and even the best swimmer would most likely drown. The other issue is everything else the water is carrying away plus whatever is underneath it, so even if you could keep your head up and try to float there are too many other dangers. 

According to the reports there were other people near her trying to rescue her that did not get carried away - one was under water at one time so they said. I would like to know how they managed to survive. Learning more about what to do or not do in this kind of situation might help . There are many YouTubes and websites with advice on how to handle them. When I have time I'll look into it. Recently I learned about what to do when you are in your car and flood water suddenly rises. The first thing is lower your windows ASAP before the water gets too high to do it. It may be the only way you can escape your car. If not they make tools that will shatter the shatter resistant glass. Some get better reviews than others, another thing to look into.

• Like 3
10 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

Without power, your yogurt would go bad :(.  But if it's only about not being able to go out, then yes, it's a good thing.  So are big bags of frozen fruits and vegetables.  And pasta, rice, quinoa, etc... in the pantry.   

• Like 5