Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E10: Sellouts

• Start Topic

Tommy goes paramedic crew-to-crew against her former employer, private contractors Paragon Medics, as they deal with emergencies involving a dialysis patient and at a perfume factory. Meanwhile, Owen hits it off with a beautiful woman he meets at a fundraiser.

Airdate: 03/28/2023

Two rescues. But they still wasted half the episode on Owen's dating life. 

I was wondering how the for-profit private company was providing services more cheaply than the government service. I guessed they were underpaying the staff, but smug dude didn't seem to be unhappy with his pay. Cutting corners on basic safety, though! Wow. 

It seemed stupid not to have a system for who is dispatched to each scene, though. That surely wastes a lot of resources.

Why do the characters on this show so often act lke children? 

• Like 8
14 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

OF COURSE Owen thinks he so wildly desirable that a billionaire would pay him for sex.

To be fair, Kendra was NOT clear in where the money was supposed to go. Owen may have been mistaken, but Kendra didn't say a word about donating the money for Owen to donate himself; she just sent him $140,000 and no actual words. Owen should have been directed on their second date, but Kendra absolutely should have communicated her intentions with the money. For all she knew, he was going to spend it on a sports car. All Kendra did was have light conversation, then have sex with Owen and immediately left. That doesn't make things very clear.

But hey, maybe Kendra and Owen are meant for each other because they live in their own little worlds. I WAS confused by Owen going straight to "Kendra sees me in a way nobody else does" when their conversations have been shallow or about Owen. I mean, I GUESS she sees him in the sense that she got to listen to his life.

I forgot all about Pearce and forgot who he was until about halfway through. I will say, the one thing this show does well is utilize past guest stars and bring them back occasionally in a way that works. I mean, this time around, it was to prop up some new plot about a privatized company but hey, it's better than the FBI plot AND the Iris plot so I'll take what I can get.

I kept seeing the CEO guy as a knockoff Greg Grunberg and I'm not really sure why.

• Like 5
19 minutes ago, LtKelley said:

This was one of those "its only awkward because no one is asking obvious questions". 

I mean, no one pays 100k for sex. Kendra has sex with Owen after a charity event and leaves him a check for 100k. There's literally nothing wrong or unreasonable with giving her call like this "Hey Kendra, loved getting to know you last night, we should do it again. Btw you left a check for 100k. I assume this was for the cancer charity and omg you're so generous, but you wrote the check to me not directly to the charity. I'll make sure it gets there but you might want to be more careful, not everyone is as cool as me about not stealing your money."

See how that was managed without sex worker assumptions?

And Kendra writing a 40k check for the dog cancer charity but writing it to owen with a dog bone in the note line.... Come on, only a moron would miss her context. But only a moron wouldn't say "btw love the dog charity, here's a check".

I don't disagree that Owen should have asked her outright, just like Mateo said he should do. But, no, I don't think Kendra was right in not saying...well, anything about the money. It's damn weird for her to have sex with him and then give him a significant amount of money right after. Use your words, Kendra. Not everyone can read your mind. 

Communication failed on both ends, I guess is what I'm trying to say. Owen was not the only wrong one here (especially if his conclusion was stupid). 

Which is why I was annoyed when Kendra freaked out over the miscommunication and seemed to blame Owen for not understanding her meaning. Lady, he doesn't even KNOW you. Why would he possibly know what you meant with the money if you never SAID that you wanted him to donate it to charity? 

Such a dumb plot. Owen, once again, gets stuck with an annoying love interest. I just don't like Kendra. 

• Like 8
10 minutes ago, LtKelley said:

...And Kendra writing a 40k check for the dog cancer charity but writing it to owen with a dog bone...

Totally agree with all of this post, but was I the only one who didn't want to point out to Owen and Judd that the bone emoji wasn't an eggplant emoji?
(and I'm way older'n either of 'em)

In the world of this show, Owen should've immediately called his lawyer to make sure he wasn't legally implicated for accepting a check for $100K in his name. 
I was waiting for it to be some sort of honey trap setup by some enemy. 

And, in any world, call your tax consultant! $140K in his name would probably bump him into a bigger tax bracket and/or at least a way higher tax liability for the year if he didn't handle the donation carefully. I don't even know if he can?

Speaking of enemies: I thought Pearce was a secret serial killer, but I guess not? 

And speaking of the rescues: IRL, the dialysis guy would've died at the scene before they could have transfused him with that much blood loss and no functioning kidneys, right?

And back to the Pretty Woman Himbo plot for a moment:

1 minute ago, Lady Calypso said:

I don't think Kendra was right in not saying...well, anything about the money. It's damn weird for her to have sex with him and then give him a significant amount of money right after.

Yes, but I can imagine Kendra thought giving Owen the money that way was sort of a sexy role-play double entendre, especially since she had already played along with his thinking she was the bartender.
And she was wealthy enough to not realize the problems with it (taxes, legalities).

• Like 5
6 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

In the world of this show, Owen should've immediately called his lawyer to make sure he wasn't legally implicated for accepting a check for $100K in his name. 
I was waiting for it to be some sort of honey trap setup by some enemy. 

Oh, for sure. I was disappointed with Judd telling Owen to just accept the money and essentially shut up. No, Judd, he should be ensuring it's legit, both legally and professionally. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

I kept seeing the CEO guy as a knockoff Greg Grunberg and I'm not really sure why.

Because he looks exactly like him?

I thought this was a pretty decent episode, for this show. Two good rescue stories, the one with the dialysis guy was really gruesome, and the one with the ambulance explosion really took me by surprise. (I always enjoy seeing Jon Favreau's brother turn up on this show.)

The subplot with Owen and the money was dumb, sure, but I'll take wacky hijinks over implausible undercover work any day.

• Like 4
9 hours ago, possibilities said:

I was wondering how the for-profit private company was providing services more cheaply than the government service. I guessed they were underpaying the staff, but smug dude didn't seem to be unhappy with his pay. Cutting corners on basic safety, though! Wow. 

It seemed stupid not to have a system for who is dispatched to each scene, though. That surely wastes a lot of resources.

They were also checking to see if patients had good insurance, then doing tests and procedures that weren't needed . Like with the older couple who normally called them directly who were being upsold on services .

If people didn't have insurance, I bet they'd be happy to pass them off to a City crew.

3 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

Thanks for mentioning that, as it was driving me nuts trying to figure out who he reminded me of 

• Like 4

Who's walking around with a checkbook anymore? I don't care if it was a charity function, that's just hard to handwave.

It's concerning when Mateo is the mature voice of reason in the room.

Edited by Jillybean
  • Like 1
  • LOL 3
8 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

And speaking of the rescues: IRL, the dialysis guy would've died at the scene before they could have transfused him with that much blood loss and no functioning kidneys, right?

Exactly.

I also have to question if an EMT is actually trained to insert a chest tube in the field, or if she would have done a needle decompression between the 4th and 5th intercostal space the way we are taught in Advanced Cardiac Life Support. Even with the chest tube, he recovered awfully quickly from having had his lung explode. He didn't even seem to need a trip to the OR to repair or remove his damaged lung.

• Like 3
11 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

This is the first time they encounter so much blood they are slipping on it. Don't they have in the ambulance some kind of powder that you can pour of blood and make it more solid so you don't slip on it? If not, I think I need to invent this.

• Like 3
24 minutes ago, MaryHedwig said:

This is the first time they encounter so much blood they are slipping on it. Don't they have in the ambulance some kind of powder that you can pour of blood and make it more solid so you don't slip on it? If not, I think I need to invent this.

Kitty litter. But I guess they live where it never snows? 
Still, wouldn't their work shoe-boots have non-slip soles?

• Like 2
14 hours ago, LtKelley said:

I'm more likely to believe it at a charity function. If you're going to give big like that, you don't want to run it through a credit card (for a variety of reasons). It adds a personal touch. Also, not to crack on anyone's age (and I still have a check book) but charity crowds tend to be older crowds and older people still use checks. 

I'm older than Michaela McManus and I literally never carry a checkbook. I have one (rarely used) but I wouldn't bring it to a function like that. I'd be more likely to go another route for a donation of that size. For example, make a pledge and follow up with the payment at a later date. As someone who spent years in nonprofit fundraising, sizable pledges are much more common than just showing up to an event with a $100K check. Carrying around a checkbook when you've got that kind of money in your account seems like a recipe for disaster. But anyway...it served the Owen Strand Show storyline so there you go. I like Rob Lowe but Owen is a very tiresome character.

Edited by Jillybean
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1
16 minutes ago, LtKelley said:

These are fair points I agree. I'm still more put off by the notion that this woman was later complaining about people having their hands out because she's rich but she's still so unwise as to write a charitable donation check to one person by name who was giving a speech at the charity and not to the actual charity itself? With nothing in the payable for line (except a bone on the second check) Owen could have easily simply cashed these checks into his own account and she would have a great deal of difficulty proving he did anything wrong in taking her money. 

Maybe Kendra was both smitten with Owen and so impressed with his integrity that she wrote the checks in his name as an expression both sentiments? IDK. Is that something a rich woman would do to convey her opinion of a man who happened to be fund raising for a noble cause? 
Still, her ignorance of the tax implications for Owen just demonstrates to me how far apart their worlds are. But, again, IDK. Maybe Owen has his own tax guy on speed dial.

This show has made me hate Owen. I especially hate his tendency to just go off half-cocked and start berating women he's romantically involved with. When he was asking Kendra if this was just a "rich girl" thing, I was reminded of when he did something similar to Amy Acker's character because he had come to an equally stupid conclusion. There's something low-key abusive about the way Owen seems to think that the women he dates need to answer to him and don't get me started on him thinking that he has a $100,000 dick.

At this point I'm rooting for Owen's cancer to come back.

• Like 3
  • Applause 2

If you're Captain Raymond Holt, you carry around a checkbook to buy groceries.

But then you also think any music sung in English is rock music, and any smile longer than 1.5 seconds is a con man's ruse.

I love Andy Favreau and dislike the Pierce character, but it's kind of fun to see him play a jerk.

It takes 10 episodes for the show to remember Mateo exists as more than a background extra.  I need to watch the bus rescue again - when Mateo and Paul are trying to transport Dan, slip on the blood, and fall all over each other, I am pretty sure Mateo says, "It's in my ass" or "what's in my ass?"  Was that in the script and what is that referring to?  Was it an intentional ad-lib or unintentional because the actor was falling?

Owen is so annoying.  I think the writers think they keep giving him female characters who put him in his place, but look at him keep going like the most irritating Energizer Bunny.

7 hours ago, marceline said:

Owen seems to think that the women he dates need to answer to him and don't get me started on him thinking that he has a $100,000 dick

$100,00.00 the first night; $40,000.00 the second. The third night? I see some devaluation going on here.

• LOL 3
19 hours ago, sweetandsour said:

I love Andy Favreau and dislike the Pierce character, but it's kind of fun to see him play a jerk.

You'd have loved him on Call Me Cat then, his character on that show gave as much indication of being a sociopath as a mild sitcom could get away with.

On 3/29/2023 at 9:00 AM, Lady Calypso said:

I'm glad I wasn't alone in thinking this. He even sounded a lot like him. I had to pause my PVR just to be sure it wasn't him in a disguise, lol.

• LOL 2
On 3/29/2023 at 5:38 PM, eel21788 said:

I also have to question if an EMT is actually trained to insert a chest tube in the field, or if she would have done a needle decompression between the 4th and 5th intercostal space the way we are taught in Advanced Cardiac Life Support.

An EMT definitely would not have that training, but Tommy is a Paramedic, and they have way more training. I don't know if that was realistic or not.

Kendra was all kinds of annoying.  Her whining 'its always about the money and it always comes between us'. she was the one throwing money around, he never brought it up, just wanted to get to know her.  Sheez, talk about making problems.  And yeah, she attended that event, there would have been lots of links or envelopes to donate directly.  But yeah, lets write a check to some guy we met last night and no nothing of his character, beyond his cancer speech.

• Useful 2
(edited)
On 3/29/2023 at 8:13 PM, LtKelley said:

I'm more likely to believe it at a charity function. If you're going to give big like that, you don't want to run it through a credit card (for a variety of reasons). It adds a personal touch. Also, not to crack on anyone's age (and I still have a check book) but charity crowds tend to be older crowds and older people still use checks. 

I only still carry a checkbook because there are occasional people who only want to be paid by check, like some home improvement people, and occasionally some other people 

I don’t get how those paramedics survived that ambulance explosion

Edited by DanaK
  • Like 1