Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E09: Manhunt

Pop Tart
  • Start Topic

When a convicted criminal takes one of the GBI agents hostage and is accused of murder, Will and Ormewood discover some evidence which could prove their innocence. Meanwhile, Angie struggles with sobriety when she finds out her former abuser is free.

Air date: 3.21.23

It was a great episode yet I was frustrated.  How CAN the police even think that Faith would even help the convict?  Realistically she would have left her gun when he took her hostage.  I understand the crooked police would spin that narrative but the rest of them? 

The Director shows up again and I think that he isn't as clean as Amanda hopes he is.

I want to follow Betty's IG as well! 

It was nice to see Ornwood and Will working together.

I feel so bad for Angie.  I wish she would have opened up to Will.

• Like 17
1 hour ago, DEL901 said:

I have a feeling that this isn’t over for Angie.  She saw her abuser touching his new girlfriend’s daughter and the girl’s expression.  She is going to do something and I hope she doesn’t spiral.  

Thanks I forgot about that part. Did her abuser go to jail for sexual abuse? Because I would assume he would be on the sex offender list and not allowed to be within a certain distance of a minor.  

• Like 7
  • Useful 3

This was an episode that should have been two to really flesh out things.  Most of it was too unbelievable partly because it was rushed. 

The old woman should have been able to tell them he had Faith kick her gun away and I would find it hard to believe not one camera at the courthouse or even store parking lot would show him forcing her with the gun and that she was cuffed

She arrested him once so they are working together??

No way after being assaulted would the officer been back on duty hunting down the person who assaulted him. Also usually in a manhunt no one rides without a partner for safety, especially someone who has just been injured.  He had months to kill the friend, why now? Will is the only one with questions about the friend's murder scene?

Why would Will not have someone following him? Did it take both him and ormewood to dig for the box? One should have been on the suspect knowing he intended to kill the fugitives. 

There was also no real reason for the wife to not have pursued her suspicions especially if she thought the man didn't kill her husband. She sounded more upset that the other officers and wives didn't check on her.

The cabins are empty for the season but there are pine nuts and clothes that fit Faith perfectly?Did they turn off the food when the shooting started? If everyone had the lead how does he arrive first and alone?

Not sure what they are trying to do with Angie or Ormewood but it was interesting he took control of the evidence before Will looked through all of it. Could he have removed things?

Is Angie still working on the other trafficking case or are we pivoting to the past to even the score?  A relapse is around the corner.

Not a bad episode but not the best. Also the kiss? Why?

The fashion however was top notch as usual. 😄It is a shame they don't use more affordable options for people like me because I would totally purchase many outfits seen here.

Spoiler

• Like 6
31 minutes ago, greekmom said:

Thanks I forgot about that part. Did her abuser go to jail for sexual abuse? Because I would assume he would be on the sex offender list and not allowed to be within a certain distance of a minor.  

Sadly this happens all the time.  They are always found to be violating some stipulation such as not living within x miles of a school , or working at a place for children etc.  Many have one residence for the parole officer but spend all their time at a partner's residence who has kids. 

As with everything else the system is broken on how they track sex offenders. Limited resources along with people who try to deceive.

• Like 1
  • Sad 5
  • Useful 1

ANGIE! TELL WILL THE TRUTH!! PLEASE!!!!! Has he ever let her down? If so, I'd like to see that in a flashback, so it's easier to accept her refusal to tell him that she saw the rapist and his new target.

I love this show. I can't even figure out why, exactly. I just do.

I think the corrupt cop went rogue. That's why he was ahead of the others and riding alone. He wasn't following protocol, he was doing his own vigilante-in-a-uniform thing. And who knows how many of the others were on his side, and deliberately letting him do it? 

Amanda needs more to do, though, than just appear, say "go get them!" or "put it on my desk" or "I'm worried". 

I really appreciate that this show does not shoot every scene in the dark. They manage to make it gritty without making it dark. 

• Like 16
3 hours ago, catrice2 said:

The old woman should have been able to tell them he had Faith kick her gun away and I would find it hard to believe not one camera at the courthouse or even store parking lot would show him forcing her with the gun and that she was cuffed

This so much.  That the dirty cops/cops were spinning that Faith was in on it in the first place but all the things that had to happen for her to be there at that exact time.

Which brings me to dirty cop.  You wait until you know the trial is starting and then you take out the friend who can corroborate?  He also had to know there would be an escape attempt or somehow arrange it and just have a cop or patsy he could spin the escape and murder on.

3 hours ago, catrice2 said:

Not sure what they are trying to do with Angie or Ormewood but it was interesting he took control of the evidence before Will looked through all of it. Could he have removed things?

I hadn't thought about Ormewood removing things but that's an interesting take.  He seemed willing to believe the cop might be dirty after Will talking about the crime scene and how things didn't add up.  Even though he worked with said dirty cop before he did seem surprised when Will and he dug up the evidence but could Ormewood have been caught doing something sketchy in those photos?

I also agree that Amanda needs more to do and that the Director seems shady at best.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, possibilities said:

I love this show. I can't even figure out why, exactly. I just do.

Me too!!!  It's just so enjoyable to watch.  It reminds me of Monk but grittier. 

13 minutes ago, DEL901 said:

I also wondered why an old frail woman would be driving a giant pickup truck.  

That was the second vehicle he stole. The first one was a car.

• Like 7

"Are you there, God?  It's me, Faith".....*ROFL*  Only women of a certain age REALLY get that.  

I still don't like Nico.  Don't like the presumption of putting Betty on the Internet with no input from Will. And "Bad Bitch Betty"?  Stupid and obnoxious.  

I hope Angie tells somebody what's going on.  I don't agree that Will should be her ONLY confidant.  They've been each other's crutches for so many years, it's coming across as a bit obsessive.  Maybe she WANTS to work things out with a therapist, and not have Will to be her emotional tampon for the rest of her life. 

1 hour ago, DEL901 said:

I also wondered why an old frail woman would be driving a giant pickup truck.  

It's Georgia.  They do it in Texas too. 

Agree the rush to judgement against Faith was pretty unbelievable.  And for Faith to walk in & say basically he was a free man was pretty unrealistic too. 

Have we met Faith's mom or know about her?  I just can't shake the idea that Amanda IS Faith's mom, not just a "family friend". 

• Like 5
7 minutes ago, SnapHappy said:

"Are you there, God?  It's me, Faith".....*ROFL*  Only women of a certain age REALLY get that.  

I still don't like Nico.  Don't like the presumption of putting Betty on the Internet with no input from Will. And "Bad Bitch Betty"?  Stupid and obnoxious.  

I hope Angie tells somebody what's going on.  I don't agree that Will should be her ONLY confidant.  They've been each other's crutches for so many years, it's coming across as a bit obsessive.  Maybe she WANTS to work things out with a therapist, and not have Will to be her emotional tampon for the rest of her life. 

It's Georgia.  They do it in Texas too. 

Agree the rush to judgement against Faith was pretty unbelievable.  And for Faith to walk in & say basically he was a free man was pretty unrealistic too. 

Have we met Faith's mom or know about her?  I just can't shake the idea that Amanda IS Faith's mom, not just a "family friend". 

She's not, and Faith's mom has been cast, so should be coming soon. 

I agree about the Instagram handle...I know this sub loves Betty but I am just meh, and they don't have to spend time or emphasis on the dog every episode for me.  I know I am in the minority so try not to hate me, ha ha. 

I'm not sure if the actress herself even got the reference to are you there god....that was clearly a writer of a certain age

I think she actually told him he was going to have to deal with kidnapping, escaping, breaking into to something, stealing some cars, etc.....to indicate that he was NOT going to go free and would have to work through all that, but she might put in a word, but by that time so many unrealistic things had happened in this episode that I would not be surprised if she offered him a ride home and some new clothes to change into. 

Edited by catrice2
  • Like 4
11 minutes ago, catrice2 said:

She's not, and Faith's mom has been cast, so should be coming soon. 

I agree about the Instagram handle...I know this sub loves Betty but I am just meh, and they don't have to spend time or emphasis on the dog every episode for me.  I know I am in the minority so try not to hate me, ha ha. 

I'm not sure if the actress herself even got the reference to are you there god....that was clearly a writer of a certain age

Ok, I'm glad we're not going to have a "SURPRISE, your boss is your MOM" moment.  

I'm ok with Betty as a side character, but I'm not a huge dog fan, so at least there are 2 of us in here.  And I really can't stand Nico, as I keep saying.  *LOL*

The Will series author, Karin Slaughter is 52, so I'm gonna assume she grew up with Judy Blume.  But I don't think the actress playing Faith necessarily did, as she's 20 years younger.  You never know though....

• Like 3
4 hours ago, SnapHappy said:

All we know about her is that she was a dirty cop, and I think in the first episode, they implied that Will was responsible for taking her and some other corrupt officers down.

3 hours ago, SnapHappy said:

I'm ok with Betty as a side character, but I'm not a huge dog fan, so at least there are 2 of us in here.

Me three.

Faith had a lot of chemistry with the fugitive, but I hope he doesn't actually call her when he gets out.

I thought Faith was going to use the kids phone to call Will, but since she's smarter than me, she used a more convincing technique to get him to give her his phone.

Edited by mrsbagnet
spelling
  • Like 4

I think the dirty cop was just using the escape to tie up loose ends. He knew his partner was investigating him and knew he had evidence, which he was trying to find. The escapee said the witness worked for him and could give him an alibi so I assumed tv logic rules that the bad cop also knew about the witness and chose then to kill him to pin it on the escapee and Faith. He may not have expected them there so soon but just used them both being there to frame them. 

I did like Faith's chemistry with her hostage taker. And after the 'Are you there God, it's me, Faith' line, she then apologized for the bad joke. And that book is still in libraries today, because I think some stupid school just banned it. 😒

And agreed, this is my favorite drama, hands down. Ormewood is still an asshole though, and can get bent anytime. I would rather they bring back the Black dude from the first few episodes that was acting kind of as Angie's sponsor. And more Amanda, please and thank you. 

• Like 12

I don't think Angie should use Will as her sole support. But they're in a serious relationship, and not telling him anything seems weird to me. I get that she's traumatized, and I applaud her going to meetings and generally working on her issues. I don't want Will to rescue her. I just want her to open up, for her own good. Not for rescuing, but because her walled-off-ness to me seems unhealthy, so opening up and trusting someone trustworthy seems like it would be a healing step in the right direction. Part of abuser strategy is to make it so you're isolated from support, don't trust anybody and "don't tell".

Edited by possibilities
my keyboard might be dying, many skipped letters needed to be filled in
  • Like 9
  • Love 1

We can't let Faith forget about "Dr. Far-hottie" from last week. He's a much better potential date for her than the accused.  I can see them becoming friends though.  Faith doesn't seem to have any more of a social life than the others. 

I totally forgot learning about her bent mom from the first (second?) episode, and the part Will played.  Lots of layers to this show, but they actually make sense.  I like that the writers aren't trying to get too cute & twisty.  Good writing & plots don't need excess bells & whistles. 

• Like 10

The theme of corruption on the force has been woven into the show since the first episode. I like that it's part of the milieu, and not just a Very Special Episode with a one-off bad guy that gets dealt with in one easy episode. The show takes its time, and isn't trying to  make it look easy.

• Like 7
4 hours ago, milkyaqua said:

You wait until you know the trial is starting and then you take out the friend who can corroborate? 

Will commented on the witness's really nice car so I think he was being paid off by the corrupt cop while he searched for the evidence (he might even have been helping look considering he was on the murdered cop's property regularly). Once the guy being framed escaped, however, bad cop had to get rid of the witness and he took the opportunity to frame Faith as well.

I'm not sure what happened with the old lady witness but she seemed easily freaked out so I could see her not being able to describe enough of what happened when Faith was taken, at least not right away. By the time she told someone about the gun, bad cop had it and would probably claim the old woman was tricked or couldn't see all that well.

(I can explain away a few issues with this episode but not the fact that everyone immediately agreed with bad cop that Faith was guilty. That was stupid)

• Like 5

I enjoyed the episode.  Especially starting right out with Betty in the shopping cart.  Thank you, show!

Was anyone else really nervous for the escaped prisoner when the police put him in the van at the end of the show?  I was afraid someone else on the police force was not going to handle the prisoner (who I grew to really root for) properly.  They didn’t all know yet that their colleague had gone bad, I don’t think, so I was scared for the hot prisoner who can cook.

Oh yes, the usable pine nuts in the cabin’s refrigerator — so unrealistic!  I rolled my eyes on that one.  

• Like 11
6 hours ago, twoods said:

Was Angie’s foster dad French Stewart? He plays a creep so well so kudos again for fantastic casting.

I saw his name in the credits, and I completely forgot about it. Wow, I didn't even recognize him in the role.

• Like 6
  • Useful 1
9 hours ago, MerBearHou said:

Oh yes, the usable pine nuts in the cabin’s refrigerator — so unrealistic!  I rolled my eyes on that one.  

Pine nuts should always be stored in the fridge and for up to 4 months.  The oils they contain cause them to become rancid when stored at room temp.  I actually thought that was a great touch to underline his food knowledge.  

The cute & goofy French Stewart is definitely aging into a solid character actor that can be a dead creeper or nice older guy.  I'm glad his career is proving long & varied, as I've always liked him.   

Edited by SnapHappy
  • Like 12
15 hours ago, catrice2 said:

The It’s Me Margaret book is still popular. It’s been a perennial best seller.  It’s coming out as a Netflix movie soon. 

• Like 5
9 minutes ago, EtheltoTillie said:

The It’s Me Margaret book is still popular. It’s been a perennial best seller.  It’s coming out as a Netflix movie soon. 

I think it's going to be a theatrical release.  It's coming out next month.  I'm planning to take my granddaughter to see it.

7 hours ago, twoods said:

Was Angie’s foster dad French Stewart? He plays a creep so well so kudos again for fantastic casting.

I knew he looked familiar but forgot to look it up.  I think the last thing I saw him in was Mom.

11 hours ago, mrsbagnet said:

I kept thinking that the older woman at the courthouse looked familiar. It turns out that the actress played Nurse Haleh on ER.

I absolutely did not recognize her.

14 hours ago, SnapHappy said:

I totally forgot learning about her bent mom from the first (second?) episode, and the part Will played. 

I don't think I knew that.  I'm going to have do a complete rewatch.  I love this show so much but sometimes I'm doing other things while I'm watching and clearly I'm missing things.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, EtheltoTillie said:

Of course it is.  Because Heaven forbid ANY seminal book of adolescence, any iconic story of growing up be left unplundered by the studios.  

I have no interest in the casting or anything about the defiling of that cornerstone of my 4th grade life.  Bastards. 

But thanks for the info.  

• Like 3
  • LOL 1
8 minutes ago, SnapHappy said:

Of course it is.  Because Heaven forbid ANY seminal book of adolescence, any iconic story of growing up be left unplundered by the studios.  

I have no interest in the casting or anything about the defiling of that cornerstone of my 4th grade life.  Bastards. 

But thanks for the info.  

As I understand it, Judy Blume refused for many years to allow any film version.  Suddenly she changed her mind. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
38 minutes ago, EtheltoTillie said:

As I understand it, Judy Blume refused for many years to allow any film version.  Suddenly she changed her mind. 

That disappoints me greatly.  I wish she had continued to refuse.  

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.  (per Dr. Ian Malcolm)

Edited by SnapHappy
11 hours ago, twoods said:

Angie, please tell Will what’s going on

My thought is that she decided not to tell him because she is afraid of what he might do to the man.  I don't think she wants Will to do anything that would get him into trouble.

• Like 2
  • Useful 5

You’re right. I’m just worried we are headed for the cliche cliffhanger scene where Angie is drunk (or high) and killed Lenny, and then goes to Will to help her out. 

Edited by twoods
  • Useful 1
2 hours ago, SnapHappy said:

Pine nuts should always be stored in the fridge and for up to 4 months.  The oils they contain cause them to become rancid when stored at room temp.  I actually thought that was a great touch to underline his food knowledge.  

Right, I love pine nuts and always store them in the fridge.  It was just that we were led to think the cabin had been vacant for awhile, or maybe I'm wrong about that length of time.

Loved that little scene with Faith and the prisoner where he was guiding her on cooking.  I really liked the guy and am sorry he will continue to be incarcerated since he crossed the line, trying to prove his innocence.

• Like 6
8 minutes ago, MerBearHou said:

Right, I love pine nuts and always store them in the fridge.  It was just that we were led to think the cabin had been vacant for awhile, or maybe I'm wrong about that length of time.

Loved that little scene with Faith and the prisoner where he was guiding her on cooking.  I really liked the guy and am sorry he will continue to be incarcerated since he crossed the line, trying to prove his innocence.

He was in a no win situation.  He was going to prison for life, if he wasn’t killed first, if he didn’t escape.   But now he has to be punished for escaping etc., things he would never have done if a crooked cop didn’t set him up. 

• Like 8
  • Sad 6
16 hours ago, Badsamaritan said:

I did like Faith's chemistry with her hostage taker. And after the 'Are you there God, it's me, Faith' line, she then apologized for the bad joke. And that book is still in libraries today, because I think some stupid school just banned it. 😒

I was thinking that might be the case - but sorry to hear I was right.

3 hours ago, mrsbagnet said:

I saw his name in the credits, and I completely forgot about it. Wow, I didn't even recognize him in the role.

There was a moment or two when I thought the actor looked like French Stewart - but I didn't pay attention to the credits and I kept telling myself I was wrong!

1 hour ago, MerBearHou said:

No, maybe I misunderstood, but I recalled a reference to the cabins being vacant at that time of the year or a line similar.  

It was not so much the pine nuts, but how pine nuts would be great for what she was cooking and there they were!!  Along with the clothes that fit.  Additionally if they cabin was not inhabited for the season, why would the electricity and water be on, and if you are hiding nothing says "come and get me" like  having the lights on and cooking in what is supposed to be a dwelling that is vacant.  If there was no reference to them being vacant, they were being very reckless. I for sure would take a shower with a manhunt going on for me and a "prisoner" waiting downstairs. 

I don't look for realism on these shows by any means but there were way too many NO WAY scenarios in ONE episode starting at the very beginning and getting more and more incredulous from there that really took me out of the episode.  

I had not seen Jason Wiles perhaps since Third Watch.  I almost didn't recognize him, but his scenes were horrible, especially in the house where he killed the friend. I am used to him having a little more realism in his roles. 

I personally don't enjoy Will and Ormewood scenes and could do with less of them, and more Amanda. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
1 hour ago, catrice2 said:

It was not so much the pine nuts, but how pine nuts would be great for what she was cooking and there they were!!

He already knew they were in the fridge since he'd looked when Faith was in the shower. The clothes were pretty convenient though.

18 hours ago, akg said:

I can explain away a few issues with this episode but not the fact that everyone immediately agreed with bad cop that Faith was guilty. That was stupid

Quoting myself now that I've remembered how corrupt the APD is (in the show, not real life (obviously)). Will was able to clean out part of it but I'm sure there are still a lot of bad cops on the force willing to believe (or pretend to believe) that Will's new partner was a murderer. And we've established the big GBI boss is crooked (he definitely knew what that tech company was doing in their systems) and has a reason to resent all of Amanda's team.

• Like 3
38 minutes ago, akg said:

He already knew they were in the fridge since he'd looked when Faith was in the shower. The clothes were pretty convenient though.

Quoting myself now that I've remembered how corrupt the APD is (in the show, not real life (obviously)). Will was able to clean out part of it but I'm sure there are still a lot of bad cops on the force willing to believe (or pretend to believe) that Will's new partner was a murderer. And we've established the big GBI boss is crooked (he definitely knew what that tech company was doing in their systems) and has a reason to resent all of Amanda's team.

…especially since Faith is the daughter of one of the dirty cops.  

• Like 3
4 hours ago, catrice2 said:

I had not seen Jason Wiles perhaps since Third Watch.  I almost didn't recognize him, but his scenes were horrible, especially in the house where he killed the friend. I am used to him having a little more realism in his roles.

It was weird seeing him with a mustache. I just saw him in an episode of 911: Lone Star from last year. His hair was longer and curly, which made him almost unrecognizable from Third Watch.

Ooh, I recognized both Haleh from ER and French Stewart right away so, yay me. 😁

French Stewart played a serial killer on NCIS Original Recipe a few years ago, and he looks the same. Fun fact -

Spoiler

his character is the original owner of McGee's apartment and killed his victims there. He even hid a body under the floorboards they didn't find until after he was in prison. I think it was under McGee and Delilah's bed. 

• Like 2
On 3/22/2023 at 8:23 AM, catrice2 said:

As with everything else the system is broken on how they track sex offenders. Limited resources along with people who try to deceive.

It's bad on the other side too.  So many things can get you labeled as a sex offender (like urinating in public, even if you try to hide), then you're on the list for life, unlike drunk drivers, for example.  The concept that no one can stop being a sex offender is stupid and offensive.  Any list should be far more specific and amendable.

6 hours ago, akg said:

I've remembered how corrupt the APD is (in the show, not real life (obviously)).

So many police departments are thoroughly corrupt, willing to look the other way when one of their own shouldn't be a cop, that I wouldn't be surprised if there's a fair number of bullies hiding behind the "thin blue line: and the slime that make up the Police Union.

• Like 3
11 hours ago, JH Lipton said:

So many police departments are thoroughly corrupt, willing to look the other way when one of their own shouldn't be a cop, that I wouldn't be surprised if there's a fair number of bullies hiding behind the "thin blue line: and the slime that make up the Police Union.

(why doesn't the internet have a sarcasm font? It would be so useful (sorry))

With the whole Cop City mess in Atlanta, the real life APD is not coming off great at the moment.

Back to the show, I loved the blue jacket the GBI boss was wearing when yelling at Amanda and Will. It was a very nice plaid.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Badsamaritan said:

Ooh, I recognized both Haleh from ER and French Stewart right away so, yay me. 😁

French Stewart played a serial killer on NCIS Original Recipe a few years ago, and he looks the same. Fun fact -

Reveal spoiler

his character is the original owner of McGee's apartment and killed his victims there. He even hid a body under the floorboards they didn't find until after he was in prison. I think it was under McGee and Delilah's bed. 

I remember the story line, but not French. But I've liked him (though maybe not his character) in everything I've seen him in. I liked him a lot in Mom.

On 3/24/2023 at 8:55 AM, akg said:

Back to the show, I loved the blue jacket the GBI boss was wearing when yelling at Amanda and Will. It was a very nice plaid.

After dressing down all those years on The Wire, I think she's enjoying this!  

I personally get why Angela is not telling Will.  She's not there yet, you can't push it.  But I do think non-alcoholic beer is a bad sign.  Not bad per se for most people, just gives me the feeling she'd really like to be drinking the real thing. 

And her abuser was all kinds of creepy.  For all his 'I'm so sorry' the first thing he said was along the lines of 'look how much you've grown'

• Like 9
11 hours ago, jabRI said:

I personally get why Angela is not telling Will.  She's not there yet, you can't push it.  But I do think non-alcoholic beer is a bad sign.  Not bad per se for most people, just gives me the feeling she'd really like to be drinking the real thing. 

And her abuser was all kinds of creepy.  For all his 'I'm so sorry' the first thing he said was along the lines of 'look how much you've grown'

yeah, i think she will eventually tell Will, but it's just taking a while.  more realistic than other shows that rush things.

and she's definitely going to do something about the creepy abuser after this line and seeing him with the kid in the elevator.

we need to see him get the justice he deserves

• Like 3