Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E12: Recovery

jewel21
  • Start Topic

Despite the case being closed, Bobby is determined to prove his AA sponsor was murdered and bring his killer to justice. Buck struggles with his post-traumatic stress.

Airdate: 03/20/23

I so identified with Buck, who was tired and just wanted to be left alone and the constant visits were making it worse. You want to be grateful and you are glad to be loved, but people don't really understand how the exhaustion works. At first I thought I'd missed an episode, though, because they skipped over the part of his recovery that happened between "woke  up" and "been home a while".

I thought this episode was well done, but it doesn't seem like a first responder show anymore.

• Like 10

Another Bathena episode that I like. On top of continuous efforts from Bobby and Athena to find justice for Wendell, credit has to be given to May as well. She found a connection between Wendell and Tamara who were at the rehab at the same time. It seems like Bobby is Tamara’s new sponsor now. She’s in good hands.

Poor Buck! Operation Buck Up Buttercup was suffocating. Really Josh, you brought sudoku?

Eddie has always been his person. Buck can always be himself around Eddie, not pretending everything is fine. Love their heartfelt conversation about processing the (post near death) feelings.

Is Buck gonna go to Italy for his Eat Pray Love journey ala Abby?

Next week, let’s get back to crazy rescues please. 😉

Edited by SnazzyDaisy
  • Like 5

I liked this episode a lot. I liked finding out about Wendell and just feel sad that we couldn't have had Wendell show up throughout the last few seasons. They really put Bobby and his sobriety on the back burner, so it would have been nice to see more Bobby scenes with Wendell throughout the series. 

I know this episode had the rescues (the typical rescues) take a backseat, but I don't mind this show taking that approach once in a while. This one worked for me, similarly to the other episode this season where Athena was investigating the little girl's death. But I'm also an advocate for more Bobby-centric storylines. He really is usually used as a supporting character more often than not, so that's probably why I was into this story. Plus, I love the lead detective not buying the perfectly wrapped up story to frame Bobby.

And Athena got to help solve the case, which was great. I always love Bobby/Athena teaming up. 

As for the other subplot, I did like seeing Buck take a different approach to his near death experience. He was different, more solemn, more tired. But I think it worked for me. Maddie worrying about Buck to the point of sending people to check up on him was partly funny, especially when Josh got his time mixed up (but Buck was already onto Maddie when Hen showed up). 

I didn't love Connor seemingly showing doubts about being a father now. C'mon, man, don't make me hate this donor storyline even more if you abandon your wife. 

I did like Buck's talks with Eddie and Maddie. It was nice to see Buck open up to Eddie about both of their near death experiences, and I did like Buck opening up to Maddie about his checklist (I want to know what else is on that list of his). But poor guy just seemed so tired the entire episode. It's good that he won't just shake off the lightning strike, especially given how often we've seen him shake off near tragedies before (ie. his ladder truck injury).

If Bobby becomes a mentor to another recovering alcoholic to honour Wendell, that could really work. 

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Jillybean said:

So are Bobby and Athena officially a crimefighting/detective duo now? Because that isn't the show I signed up for but that seems to be the direction the show is taking this season. 

They have to keep up with Owen Strand aka Rob Lowe.

• LOL 1
8 hours ago, LtKelley said:

Its a soap opera set in a fire house

Remember the very first episode when they rescued a baby that was stuck in a pipe after being flushed down the toilet? Then Buck literally chopped the head off of a python that was strangling a woman. I need more of that show. 

• Like 6
  • LOL 4

I for one felt like this was a terrible episode. Not because it was poorly written or poorly acted, but because it was so far removed from the premise of the show. Most of the story revolved around two characters I knew next to nothing about and didn't really care about either. Using flashbacks to help define one of those characters didn't work for me either.

There were no 911 calls - unless you count the one the villains made from the crime scene to frame Bobby. And the subplot about Buck's recovery felt inconsequential. One episode and he's already cleared to go back to work.

I like Bobby and I like Peter Krause, but if they feel the need to give him a big, multi-episode story arc I would prefer it involve something to do with a 911 call, and that it not eat up the entire episode. They can do that while the rest of the crew runs regular calls.

This is supposed to be a first responder show. Not a detective show. If the writers want to write a detective show they should go work for another show.

• Like 10
  • Applause 2
9 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

I didn't love Connor seemingly showing doubts about being a father now. C'mon, man, don't make me hate this donor storyline even more if you abandon your wife. 

Wait. What? I must've been reading something when that happened/was said. 
Can someone please tell me at about what point it happens so I don't have to replay the whole episode?

18 hours ago, possibilities said:

I so identified with Buck, who was tired and just wanted to be left alone and the constant visits were making it worse. You want to be grateful and you are glad to be loved, but people don't really understand how the exhaustion works. At first I thought I'd missed an episode, though, because they skipped over the part of his recovery that happened between "woke  up" and "been home a while".

I thought this episode was well done, but it doesn't seem like a first responder show anymore.

I also liked that Maddy was "helping" Bobby the way she needed when she was having problems. That's very true to life.

I liked this story a lot, even though the team were not first responders as such (though I kind of shouted at Bobby when he was racing to the "rehab" center that he should have called 911 first)

10 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Wait. What? I must've been reading something when that happened/was said. 
Can someone please tell me at about what point it happens so I don't have to replay the whole episode?

He was one of the many droppers-by(in?). I forget exactly where he was in the timeline. My take was that he was just getting first dad jitters. But who knows?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
49 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

He was one of the many droppers-by(in?). I forget exactly where he was in the timeline. My take was that he was just getting first dad jitters. But who knows?

Thanks! Conner enters around the 14 minute mark. I didn’t remember him, so didn’t pay attention.

46 minutes ago, LtKelley said:

Mark my words. The mom dies in delivery. New dad can't handle it, Buck is handed the child in the season finale. 

😳 Yikes, but you’re probably right.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, LtKelley said:

There will also be some crazy rescue where Buck has to save the baby.  Or be hauled off by Bobby while Chimney and Hen make the rescue.

Buck will have to donate his blood or vice versa, which is way too close to the Buck origin story, and which these writers and actors cannot give as much meaning as they might think they can.

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

I liked finding out about Wendell and just feel sad that we couldn't have had Wendell show up throughout the last few seasons.

Me too. He seemed genuinely kind, which is sadly rare.

19 hours ago, possibilities said:

I so identified with Buck, who was tired and just wanted to be left alone and the constant visits were making it worse. You want to be grateful and you are glad to be loved, but people don't really understand how the exhaustion works.

All the unannounced drop-ins would drive me CRAZY. Also it’s a pet peeve when people knock incessantly on doors (my sibling does it to piss me off), so I was ready to clock Hen when she showed up.

I laughed when the husband IMMEDIATELY turned on his wife. “It was all her idea!”

• Like 5
2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Thanks! Conner enters around the 14 minute mark. I didn’t remember him, so didn’t pay attention.

😳 Yikes, but you’re probably right.

Yep thought somehow Buck is going to parent  the baby.

thought it was a very good episode

• Like 3
16 hours ago, LtKelley said:

Mark my words. The mom dies in delivery. New dad can't handle it, Buck is handed the child in the season finale. 

Word marked. Sounds entirely plausible for this show.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 3
  • LOL 2

Ugh, The Buck Show continues.

This guy used to just be the firehouse doofus; when did he become the designated 911 Fan Favorite?

Wendell, we barely knew ye.  Looks like a good character, so that's a shame.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Love 1

I miss rescues which should be the general premise of a show titled “911.”  I like Buck but got annoyed on his behalf.  Just go upstairs, climb in bed and don’t answer the door. It’s not that hard.  

This is a good show so don’t mess it up, showrunners. I quit watching the stupid Texas version after 2 episodes and 1000 eyerolls. 

• Like 3
5 hours ago, limecoke said:

I miss rescues which should be the general premise of a show titled “911.”  I like Buck but got annoyed on his behalf.  Just go upstairs, climb in bed and don’t answer the door. It’s not that hard.

YES. It's just like not answering the phone. There's no law that says you have to go to the door when people drop by unannounced.

• Like 2

They were pounding really loudly on his door. I think his apartment os small enough that it would still be really disruptive. But he could put a sign on the door saying: "Go away, I'm sleeping!" or "Don't knock! Leave a note and I'll call you when I have the time".

• Like 3
14 hours ago, bilgistic said:

YES. It's just like not answering the phone. There's no law that says you have to go to the door when people drop by unannounced.

Of course with this bunch, doing that would have them breaking down the door, convinced that he was in physical distress.

12 hours ago, possibilities said:

They were pounding really loudly on his door. I think his apartment os small enough that it would still be really disruptive. But he could put a sign on the door saying: "Go away, I'm sleeping!" or "Don't knock! Leave a note and I'll call you when I have the time".

Yeah, that might have worked. But then we wouldn't have the montage, and then they'd have to write another b or c plot.

• Like 3
  • Wink 2
3 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Yeah, that might have worked. But then we wouldn't have the montage, and then they'd have to write another b or c plot.

I think Buck also recognized why there was a revolving door of friends visiting. He knew it was because Maddie wanted to ensure he was ok. Even if it felt irrational to him, don't forget that Buck has a repeated pattern of not following post-hospital instructions. He's the one often pushing himself too much after a life or death situation. It's what nearly cost him his job in season 3. As we saw, he really was exhausted all episode so I totally get if he didn't have the energy to fight Maddie sending people over. It also makes sense as to why Maddie had people checking on him all day when she couldn't be there. But maybe he should have just left a key for all of them to use so that he wouldn't need to keep getting up to answer the door.

As we did see, his solution WAS finally to leave a note and go to Eddie's so it did work out eventually. But I totally see why Buck accepted the visitors at first. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
On 3/21/2023 at 4:29 PM, LtKelley said:

Either that, or Dad bails and Buck and the Mom decide to raise the baby together.

• Like 1