Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E03: 4-5-1

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

If they do revisit Rebecca/Sam, please make the chef's name Diane. I'm here for an unresolved Rebecca/Sam/Diane triangle. 

Overall, I'm not sure where they are going with anything. Everyone seems to be floundering a bit and I'm not sure how they will all reach land safely, although the spirit of the show seems to indicate that is going to happen. 

• Wink 1
  • LOL 12
  • Love 3
(edited)
21 hours ago, Raachel2008 said:

Speaking about the man, you know Dr. Jake was a dick when he wanted to answer the phone to prank the person on the other side.

Agreed. No one like getting a call from a telemarketer, but I'm sure that most of the people doing that are just regular people trying to make a living. Just screen your calls. And if you pick up by mistake, then tell them you were heading out the door, say goodbye, and hang up.

Switching topics. Did anyone see when Colin left the restaurant? We saw Zava leave,then Trent left a little later and saw Colin with his boyfriend.I re-watched the restaurant scene and couldn't tell if Colin had left before or after Zava. I'm thinking that Colin may have left before either of them, and Zava may have seen Colin making out in the alley.

there is no way they are doing a 'Rebecca gets pregnant or tries to get pregnant' storyline, which quite frankly would be wrong for where the character stands and the show.

In S1 Rupert told Rebecca that he just didn't want a child with her, implying that she had wanted a child and he nixed the idea. So, I can certainly see her wanting to be a mother. And adoption or surrogacy would certainly be an option for Rebecca.

Edited by Captain Carrot
  • Like 1
(edited)
10 hours ago, Captain Carrot said:

there is no way they are doing a 'Rebecca gets pregnant or tries to get pregnant' storyline, which quite frankly would be wrong for where the character stands and the show.

In S1 Rupert told Rebecca that he just didn't want a child with her, implying that she had wanted a child and he nixed the idea. So, I can certainly see her wanting to be a mother. And adoption or surrogacy would certainly be an option for Rebecca.

Yes. This show is very tightly plotted, so I expect to see some sort of Chekhovian Baby Plot Arc — which may or may not result in an actual baby. If this was a 1923 silent film instead of a 2023 streaming TV show, there'd be a baby in a basket on Rebecca's doorstep. 

10 hours ago, Captain Carrot said:

No one like getting a call from a telemarketer, but I'm sure that most of the people doing that are just regular people trying to make a living

The telemarketers I have interacted with were working for evil with the goal of stealing your personal information to clean out your bank account. So, IMO, making the telemarketer the straight man/woman to your own private comedy ad lib is fair game, especially if you're good at it and only dishing out the same nonsense they are doing. 

So, although the marriage counselor sleeping with his client is horrible, I don't see pranking someone who he was told was a telemarketer is an indication of his being evil. 

To me, the more complex issue was that it positioned the marriage counselor who is sleeping with Ted's (ex)wife to treat Ted with all the disrespect and contempt he has for a telemarketer. 

Does the so-called marriage counselor see Ted as the equivalent of a telemarketer? Maybe. 
Some people loathe Ted's brand of humor, which he probably did not turn off in their counseling sessions.

Also: Was the marriage counselor Ted's wife's regular therapist before he was their marriage counselor? 
I think someone posted that on this board. 
If so, that seems unethical too.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 3
On 3/30/2023 at 7:24 PM, Capricasix said:

I don’t remember the last time I saw an actual matchbook. I have a box of matches in my kitchen for emergency purposes, but I almost always use a barbecue lighter for candles.

A couple steakhouses I know in Chicago still do match books.  One even does the stick matches.  Maybe for the cigar smoking customer to use at home.  

• Like 2
(edited)

When she said "pregnant" to Rebecca, I just thought this has to be a big misdirect. I thought about Rebecca saying she was "late" earlier to Keely but then maybe it was just to that appointment. They way she was drinking I don't think so.

It's second hand, never confirmed it, but my Mom told me my neighbor who was married, 4 kids, always fighting, kids a little crazy, had marriage counseling at church with a nun. He later married her. That if true, kind of yucky too.

I feel for Ted but I want to see him move on but feel bad his son had to be in the middle.

I feel no way Zava will stay playing to the end, it's much more "Lasso" to have the old star teach the almost old star to be better and the team carries it through. Time will tell if he gets hurt or lets his ego have another get the goal.

I don't like Shandy at all, trying to like her but she's way too rough around the edges and doesn't fit. There isn't a redeeming thing about her yet. Keeley is her friend but I don't see that chemistry either.

Edited by debraran
  • Like 4
1 hour ago, debraran said:

When she said "pregnant" to Rebecca, I just thought this has to be a big misdirect.

She didn't say "pregnant," she said Rebecca will "become a mother" and have a family. VERY different.

• Like 5
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1
On 3/29/2023 at 11:14 AM, kwnyc said:

Trent's preference of Queen Clarisse, the grown-up boss bitch of Genovia reads to me as another hint he's going to be a match for Rebecca.

Interesting… for me this makes me increasingly lean towards him and Colin… 

• Like 1
  • Useful 2

So Ted's ex in a serious relationship with her therapist, and the man who was their marriage counsellor, adds far too dark and unsettling an element to this show. It's wrong on every level possible, and completely changes who Michelle is as a character.

Zava is ridiculous and, while his looks and tendency to move teams is Ibrahimovic, his personality isn't. Ibrahimovic is playful and cocky, but he's not an oblivious, zen master who blithely thinks the entire world revolves around him. I read someone say that Zava is partly based on Eric Cantona, which I can see a bit, but the thing with Eric was that the intellectual philosophising was really an act he put on to avoid dealing with the media. All his teammates have said he was just one of the lads, in the dressing room.

I do like Jamie seeing what he could possibly have become, if he didn't learn how to grow as a person. And he's correcting both Beard and Roy's speech.

Colin's storyline is interesting. Sadly realistic, in a sport where very few players have come out, and where Graeme Le Saux used to be called gay slurs because he read the Guardian newspaper. I'm not even slightly concerned that Trent Crimm saw Colin and his boyfriend.

Sam and his cute chef needs to happen. Rebecca needs to find someone she doesn't feel guilty about dating.

• Like 3

The first thing I thought of when the psychic said, “Shite in nining armor,” was, “Who wears number 9?” Jaimie Tartt, that’s who—and he’s been known to be a shite. I can’t picture Jaimie and Rebecca in a romantic relationship, so, ???

(Yes, I’m binging the season now that I won’t have to wait for the finale, so I’ll find out soon enough.)

On 5/29/2023 at 6:08 PM, Danny Franks said:

I'm not even slightly concerned that Trent Crimm saw Colin and his boyfriend.

Just seemed like such a heavy-handed set up, with Colin bringing the bf as the only outsider to a team event hosted by Sam.

(edited)
On 3/29/2023 at 12:45 PM, Crs97 said:

I was surprised that his panic attack disappeared so quickly when Zava scored.  Can that actually happen?

Yes, it can.  I get panic attacks sometimes and what often works for me is something to draw my focus away from my body (like calling someone and talking with them, etc.).  The key -- for me -- is to get me to stop noticing my heart rate, distract me from the "Am I dying?" thoughts, etc.

Edited by QuantumMechanic
because proper spelling is a thing
  • Like 2
  • Hugs 6
  • Useful 3
(edited)

At some point, Ted Lasso became a "chick show" (forgive me). Before I get to that, Zava is so clearly modeled on real-life PL (and other leagues) player, Zlatan Imbrahimovic. Look him up, and watch some of his goals. He is a character and Zava is basically the character Zlatan promotes and exaggerating it to a new level.

So TL started as a relentlessly optimistic take on PL soccer, which I enjoyed except for when the relentless optimism was too much. But it has turned into a soap opera revolving around:

• Ted taking WAY too long to move on from his marriage.
  • Whether Rebecca likes Sam, and whether she is pregnant.
  • Mean girl vibes with Shandy.
  • Roy and Keely, or Keely and Jamie, and now maybe Roy and Jamie?
  • Someone being secretly gay, and the show pretending like anyone else cares. Colin may care, but most of the world does not as long as he scores goals.
  • Favorite Julie Andrews character? Who knows more than Sound of Music and Mary Poppins?

Where has Nate been? What has been the impact of Zava beyond some wins? What has Rupert been up to? Where are the new Ted ideas? How is Trent doing in what is clearly an uncomfortable spot for him after being let go and writing a book (and looking for breaking news)?

The show is becoming increasingly grating to me. I guess since it is almost over it doesn't matter, but still. It has achieved a Harry Potterish transition.

Edited by Ottis
  • Applause 1
(edited)

/Before I get to that, Zava is so clearly modeled on real-life PL (and other leagues) player/

And Jamie is modeled on other players. Roy is modeled after Roy Keane. This is known.

/Ted taking WAY too long to move on from his marriage./

Which happens in real life especially when you're not the one who wanted the relationship to end. Why shouldn't the show - which deals in a myriad of real life problems - not tackle that?

/Whether Rebecca likes Sam, and whether she is pregnant./

That was wrapped in season two; and the question is whether she can conceive, not whether she is pregnant.

/Mean girl vibes with Shandy./

Yes, and Jamie and his lap dogs Isaac and Colin were doing the same thing in S1 and Nate to Colin in S2. But Shandy isn't meant to just be a "mean girl" it's to show that Keeley tried to do what Rebecca did for her (and what Ted did for Nate) ; give someone who people would underestimate a leg up. Unfortunately, Shandy doesn't have the same professionalism as Keeley.

/Roy and Keely, or Keely and Jamie, and now maybe Roy and Jamie?/

If only!

/Someone being secretly gay, and the show pretending like anyone else cares. Colin may care, but most of the world does not as long as he scores goals./

But people do care in the world and have negative reaction to athletes coming out. It may be getting better but do you honestly think that there aren't closeted athletes in the world? And those who would like to live openly but can't due to fear of reprisal and recrimination from fans? When you have fans who heckle, jeer straight players for poor plays or how fans heckle and hurl racist ephithets at players colour, do you really think an out player wouldn't suffer the same fate?

/Favorite Julie Andrews character? Who knows more than Sound of Music and Mary Poppins?/

Musical fans; which since series one, it has been established enough of the characters are (Nate says having someone likely Keeley like you is S'Wonderful, which is from a George Gerswhin song; Dr. Sharon, high on pain meds singing "West Side Story" on Ted's answering machine, Ted using "Oklahoma" as a code word, Sam mentions Les Mis, and on and on and on.

/Where has Nate been?/

Working for Rupert.

/What has been the impact of Zava beyond some wins?/

The realization that the Greyhounds are enough - that teamwork is enough. Using a lone wolf, hot dog to win shiny trophies shouldn't be the goal for them.

/What has Rupert been up to?/

Hoping that Nate brings West Ham some wins.

/Where are the new Ted ideas?/

Have you reached the episode "Sunflowers" yet?

/How is Trent doing in what is clearly an uncomfortable spot for him after being let go and writing a book (and looking for breaking news)?//

What does that even mean? He was looking to end his career, which is why *he* told his boss that he revealed his source to Ted. He was looking for something deeper and for him it is following that team and writing about how Teds leadership is shaping them.

Edited by AngieBee1
  • Like 11