Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E13: A Frat Party, a Sleepover and the Mother of All Blisters

Bort
  • Start Topic

10 minutes ago, kthomp38 said:

I thought Sheldon and Missy were fourteen or fifteen by now? I didn't think there was that big of an age difference between the twins and Georgie.  Did Georgie even graduate high school? Is he still in? Did he drop out?

They're 12; Missy is in 7th grade. Iain is 14 and Reagan is 15, though. Georgie is 5 years older (Montana Jordan is 19, though he looks younger to me).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Georgie dropped out of high school years ago for us viewers, but only months ago for the show’s characters.

How far along is Mandy's pregnancy? Didn't he meet her shortly after he quit school?

• Useful 1

Watching the frat party was taking me back to the memories of when the grunge movement was starting to come about. I would have been a freshman in high school in 1992-1993. The outfits that Missy and Paige were wearing were totally on point for that period of time.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Georgie dropped out of high school years ago for us viewers, but only months ago for the show’s characters.

I think this is what we're all finding so confusing!  They've taken 3 years to cover 1992!  

• Like 6
  • LOL 1
2 minutes ago, Elizabeth Anne said:

I think this is what we're all finding so confusing!  They've taken 3 years to cover 1992!  

I guess it's too late for them to rebrand the show title as: 
Young Sheldon (1991-1992) 
to reflect the school year, with different dates as required:

22 hours ago, Elizabeth Anne said:

The site I found offered this as the Young Sheldon timeline and it does seem to make sense:

1989-1990: Season 1 takes place

1990-1991: Season 2 takes place

1991: Season 3 takes place

1991-1992: Season 4 takes place

1992: Season 5 takes place

1992-1993: Season 6 takes place

1993-1994: Season 7 takes place

I'm sure there are shows that slightly alter their titles, but I can't recall any at the moment.

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, madpsych78 said:

Watching the frat party was taking me back to the memories of when the grunge movement was starting to come about. I would have been a freshman in high school in 1992-1993. The outfits that Missy and Paige were wearing were totally on point for that period of time.

I was a senior that year. Lots o' flannel.

I thought this was a better episode than a lot of the recent ones, but I'm not happy with the "Lorre" treatment of Paige.  I'm also surprised that Sheldon wouldnt harass the dorm's RA rather than trying to deal with the noise himself. At least Missy got some screen time (though the fact that Sheldon, Paige and Missy would all end up in the same dorm room seemed rather improbable).

Edited by Tom Holmberg
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, highway61 said:

I did rewatch. Good episode. Best:

"Go ahead, fix me."

"Give me a minute!"

I will admit, the moment is totally played for laughs/comedy. However, what I loved is that it indicated some good qualities that Sheldon has. He genuinely wanted to fix Paige and thought he could do it. He rarely wastes his time and energy on things he considers not worth it or beneath him, so the fact that he seemed willing to/wanted to try says something positive about him. He cares about Paige and wants to help. There is no way he would able to fix/solve the problem, but I love that he wants to help, even if he is in way over his head.  

4 hours ago, Tom Holmberg said:

I thought this was a better episode than a lot of the recent ones, but I'm not happy with the "Lorre" treatment of Paige.  I'm also surprised that Sheldon wouldnt harass the dorm's RA rather than trying to deal with the noise himself. At least Missy got some screen time (though the fact that Sheldon, Paige and Missy would all end up in the same dorm room seemed rather improbable).

There are some "what are the odds" moments, but it's also TV Land and you have to roll with a few things every now and then. As far as I know, there is nothing special/unique about Sheldon's dorm/floor. There are coincidences, but they don't all revolve around the dorm. Paige somehow ended up at a dorm room party on his floor. Paige gets invited to a frat party at a different location on campus, and that is where Sheldon sees Missy. All three end up in Sheldon's dorm for part of the night because Missy correctly decided that would be the best place for Paige to spend the night.  

• Like 6

Bless Georgie's little heart!  He has good intentions, but he's going to learn just how demanding & challenging being a parent is.  It's easy for him to say what he'll do differently than his parents, but reality is going to smack him right in the face, especially the teenage years!  

• Like 5
12 hours ago, ChitChat said:

Bless Georgie's little heart!  He has good intentions, but he's going to learn just how demanding & challenging being a parent is.  It's easy for him to say what he'll do differently than his parents, but reality is going to smack him right in the face, especially the teenage years!  

And he's not going to have anywhere near the same experience as George. He's not married to the mom.  Mandy will probably marry someone else eventually.  Maybe even move to a different town.

• Like 3

I did like Georgie making that comment about not saying terrible things to his kid. He’s right. I don’t think George is trying to be malicious but he has definitely said some nasty things to Georgie over the years, as has Meemaw.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
34 minutes ago, anna0852 said:

I don’t think George is trying to be malicious but he has definitely said some nasty things to Georgie over the years, as has Meemaw.

I think they wrote him off as a doofus years ago, which is sad.  He has shown some business savvy, and he's the "tire whisperer!"  A little encouragement goes a long way at that age.  

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
On 2/17/2023 at 1:39 PM, Sarah 103 said:

Missy was awesome. She wasn't planning on drinking/getting drunk or going someplace with a college guy.

I would've loved to Missy's reaction if a college guy had tried to hit on her. I'd almost feel sorry for him.

• Like 7
  • Love 1
17 hours ago, ChitChat said:

I hope they continue this story long enough for Georgie to get his "haven't slept in days, am neck deep in dirty diapers, and a colicky baby makes me want to kill myself" come uppance. I say this with love!

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
4 hours ago, possibilities said:

I hope they continue this story long enough for Georgie to get his "haven't slept in days, am neck deep in dirty diapers, and a colicky baby makes me want to kill myself" come uppance. I say this with love!

I hope if we get a story like that, Georgie continues to keep his cool. Role models are a good thing. He can still make mistakes, but I'd rather not see him get a personality makeover in the service of so-called comedy.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
On 2/18/2023 at 2:38 PM, Tom Holmberg said:

I'm also surprised that Sheldon wouldnt harass the dorm's RA rather than trying to deal with the noise himself.

That could be because he thinks he is the RA, from the time Hagemeyer fake appointed him RA to get him off her back.  Then he got ducktaped to the wall.

• Like 3
On 2/17/2023 at 3:28 PM, shapeshifter said:

I don't know about prodigies, but typically a student goes from a Bachelors to a PhD or a Masters. 
A Masters is not required for a PhD, and it's more expensive. Often PhD's are subsidized because the candidate student is working as a TA.

At some universities, the MA is  earned "incidentally" on the way to the PhD, "after a student successfully passes all parts of the general examination and all other relevant departmental requirements.":  https://gradschool.princeton.edu/academics/degrees-requirements/general-exam/incidental-master’s-degree#:~:text=At Princeton%2C the Master of,all other relevant departmental requirements.

Thus, if someone drops out of their PhD program before completing or successfully defending their dissertation, they may still leave with a Master's degree (which was not their original intent.)

On 2/17/2023 at 4:29 PM, DonnaMae said:

Would she have been grossed out if it had been a young couple having sex?  Older couples aren't dead in that department.

I certainly hope so!  Who wants to listen to people (especially people you know) having sex?  That's voyeuristic behavior.

On 2/17/2023 at 11:05 PM, Elizabeth Anne said:

Just finished watching this and two things: does Sheldon live at the dorm now?  Because HE'S 12 and this is Mary Coopers kid.  This makes no sense.

He does when it is useful to the storyline.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Like 5
55 minutes ago, Elizabeth Anne said:

Given Sheldon's unique personality it beggars belief for me that he would stay at the dorms overnight.  Makes no sense other than to further the plots of course!

After having done it once for convenience, I don't find it so odd that he might do it from time to time during the week. This was clearly a weekend, so it makes no sense at all.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Katy M said:

After having done it once for convenience, I don't find it so odd that he might do it from time to time during the week. This was clearly a weekend, so it makes no sense at all.

Yeah, he must know that weekends are the noisiest time.  And there are no professors there to work with.  His parents should realize that also.

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Yeah, he must know that weekends are the noisiest time.  And there are no professors there to work with.  His parents should realize that also.

Speaking of parents.  Do they ever explain where the heck Paige's mother thinks she is?  Paige isn't in school and she is supposely friendless so where did her mother think her 12 year old daughter was on a Saturday night - and is it turns out overnight at that.

• Like 3
17 minutes ago, Elizabeth Anne said:

Speaking of parents.  Do they ever explain where the heck Paige's mother thinks she is?  Paige isn't in school and she is supposely friendless so where did her mother think her 12 year old daughter was on a Saturday night - and is it turns out overnight at that.

No, they did not.  I also wondered what she does all day since she is no longer in school (and is too young for a job.)  If she could just hold out until she was about 16, she could go back to a college and have a real college experience, even if she would be a few years younger than the other freshmen.  But she is just too lonely.

• Like 3
On 2/17/2023 at 3:17 PM, kay1864 said:

And FFS shouldn’t Georgie have turned 18 by now? IIRC, a few episodes back it was that he would be 18 in a couple of months.

He told Mandy he'd be 18 in March.  Which is after the baby is due.  So no, Georgie has not turned 18 yet.

On 2/18/2023 at 8:32 AM, kthomp38 said:

I thought Sheldon and Missy were fourteen or fifteen by now? I didn't think there was that big of an age difference between the twins and Georgie.  Did Georgie even graduate high school? Is he still in? Did he drop out?

No, the twins are 12, probably about to turn 13 soon.  Georgie is not yet 18 and dropped out of high school to work full-time.

On 2/18/2023 at 2:38 PM, Tom Holmberg said:

but I'm not happy with the "Lorre" treatment of Paige.

Not sure what that means.  I find her character arc pretty realistic for someone who was a child prodigy but is struggling to find her place as she grows.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Not sure what that means.  I find her character arc pretty realistic for someone who was a child prodigy but is struggling to find her place as she grows.

Lorre tends to be very misogynistic.  If this wasn't a trend of his I wouldn't mention it.

• Like 2

Re what Paige is doing, there must be options for a youngster who has completed high school but is not ready for college and is too young to get a job.  There are a few colleges that have special programs for such students, but maybe not at that time in Texas.  Maybe a specialized school that concentrates on music (or something else that interests Paige) and has students roughly her age?

• Like 1
On 2/17/2023 at 12:17 PM, kay1864 said:

Well, grade 7 makes sense for age 12, but since it’s long been established that adult Sheldon entered college at age 11, seems like he should be 13, right? (assuming that 3rd year in college means that, not just that he’s taking 3rd-year courses)

Third year probably means he has enough credits to be considered a junior. 

On 2/17/2023 at 12:33 PM, Elizabeth Anne said:

I didn't realize this. That's not the usual route in Canada.  It's very rare for anyone to go directly from an undergraduate degree into a PhD program.  Of course this is Sheldon Cooper we're talking about so he'd be one of those rare cases even here!

That said though it still seems unlikely to me that child prodigy Sheldon doesn't have a bachelors under his belt by now!  Perhaps that will come at the end of this season.

He gets his bachelor’s at 14. He probably would already have it if Mary hadn’t been resistant to him starting college earlier. The grant project is probably also slowing his progress. 

On 2/17/2023 at 8:05 PM, Elizabeth Anne said:

Just finished watching this and two things: does Sheldon live at the dorm now?  Because HE'S 12 and this is Mary Coopers kid.  This makes no sense.  

He doesn’t live there but a few episodes ago Mary said she was fine with him staying at the college occasionally because they trust him. I find it to be a mostly reasonable progression since Mary has to know she’s not going to be able to keep Sheldon in Texas until he is 18. 

14 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

He told Mandy he'd be 18 in March.  Which is after the baby is due.  So no, Georgie has not turned 18 yet.

That makes sense. The twin’s birthday is in January. In the baby shower episode they were talking about the Cowboys going all the way so it has to be before the Super Bowl. Most likely late 1992 or the very beginning of 1993. 

8 hours ago, Dani said:

He doesn’t live there but a few episodes ago Mary said she was fine with him staying at the college occasionally because they trust him.

I would trust Sheldon too.  What I wouldn't trust, and would have expected Mary and George to be concerned about, is a bunch of college age students without supervision.  

Anyway I think this is a basic problem with the show right now - they've slowed down time to keep George alive a few more seasons (well I am assuming this is the reason) but they aren't writing Missy and Sheldon as 12 yr olds - they are writing them as 14-15.

• Like 4
  • Fire 1
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, Elizabeth Anne said:

I would trust Sheldon too.  What I wouldn't trust, and would have expected Mary and George to be concerned about, is a bunch of college age students without supervision.  

Yes, but having been a parent in the 90s, there were a lot of things I trusted to be okay that I shouldn't have, and I thought of myself as more cautious than my parents who allowed bad things to happen to me at the hands of other kids when my parents weren't paying attention to "where the kid is, what the kid is doing, and who the kid is doing it with," which was my entirely inadequate child-rearing mantra.
Perhaps the show would benefit from a few adult-Sheldon voiceovers about the well-meaning parents' failures, but with this show having only 17 minutes of dialog, that's not feasible.

• Like 3
1 minute ago, shapeshifter said:

Perhaps the show would benefit from a few adult-Sheldon voiceovers about the well-meaning parents' failures, but with this show having only 17 minutes of dialog, that's not feasible.

True.  It's better than most sitcoms in terms of following things up from show to show but it does suffer from the typical sitcom fail (IMO) of having an incident that would have had significant repercussions in real life never get resolved on screen or mentioned again.  For instance, and this is relevant to parents not knowing stuff they should really know,  the time the college kids duct taped Sheldon to the wall.  What happened next?  Enquiring minds want to know!

• Like 3
6 minutes ago, Elizabeth Anne said:

I probably wouldn’t either but I have no problem believing Mary and George would knowing that Sheldon acts more like the adult supervision than a college student. Mary gives the appearance of being overprotective but she mainly just controlling. She is much more permissive when it’s convenient for her and the kids have always walked all over her.

Missy snuck out to a high school party in the first season. They let Meemaw babysit all the time even though she’s a horrible influence. They know she let underage Georgie drive. The first time Sheldon had permission to stay over night at the college was because George was tired and upset and didn’t want to go pick him up. Missy getting to the college party is a big stretch but I don’t find the rest to be. 

On 2/23/2023 at 6:44 PM, possibilities said:

I miss when Sheldon actually had some friends in the dorm, who he shared interests with and who didn't just bully him and who he didn't act obnoxious toward, ether.

I always thought it would have been funny if the friends he made at university were analogues of his BBT buddies.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

My least favorite part is seeing the healthy-looking partnership between Mary & George right now, and knowing it's all going sideways fairly soon.  I'd prefer NOT to see them interacting at that level at all.  

I know it's stupid, they're just TV characters.  

• Like 3
On 2/27/2023 at 10:06 AM, SnapHappy said:

I know it's stupid, they're just TV characters.  

Yes, but I've gotten seriously emotionally invested in TV characters too. I can remember two couples in different shows that I was seriously rooting for. From soon after the new character was introduced, I wanted him to end up with one of the male female characters, so I get it. I'm not sure if it's healthy, normal, or okay, but I figure it is as long as I know they are fictional. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
41 minutes ago, Sarah 103 said:

Yes, but I've gotten seriously emotionally invested in TV characters too.

I think most of us posting here have had the same experience.  As a whole we probably take our TV way too seriously!  I know I cannot be the only one who has cried at a character's death or yelled at the TV when a favourite character is about to do something really stupid!  

• Like 6

This has been mostly covered, but I wanted to include this real-life example from the unreal life of J. Robert Oppenheimer (from Wikipedia). Dr. Oppenheimer was actually socially adept (not awkward like Sheldon).

"Oppenheimer attended Harvard University, where he earned a bachelor's degree in chemistry in 1925. He studied physics at the University of Cambridge and University of Göttingen, where he received his PhD in 1927." (sound familiar?)

A Harvard they told him he needed to graduate because he had amassed 5 years worth of credits and was just taking whatever classes interested him (mostly math, physics, chemistry, and oriental philosophy). He looked through the catalog (alphabetically) and the first degree for which he qualified, was in the chemistry section.

If Page has no friends, she must be pushing people away. I just talked to the random people around me, and I was 27 (on the GI bill), ragged and shaggy when everyone else was groomed for success (in the early eighties), always sat in front, and answered way too many of the teachers' questions. I still made friends! Page looks far more approachable than I ever did.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, appositival said:

If Page has no friends, she must be pushing people away. I just talked to the random people around me, and I was 27 (on the GI bill), ragged and shaggy when everyone else was groomed for success (in the early eighties), always sat in front, and answered way too many of the teachers' questions. I still made friends! Page looks far more approachable than I ever did.

Yes, but, like Paige, I too was a cute, female, younger-than-typical college freshman (although in the early 70s, not 90s) who followed a path of academic destruction not unlike Paige's — including the untreated depression self-treated with alcohol — whereas when I went back to school in my not-so-fresh-faced late 30s (occasionally with one of my kids in tow), I thrived, including cultivating friendships via the phone and early messenger services with like-aged study buddies.

But I would prefer to see final-season Paige get back on track academically while she's still young and has a full lifetime of opportunities before her to use her smarts for good — both her own and the world's 🌏 — rather than having a voiceover telling us she finally got an advanced degree when she was in her 40s.

In the 70s, seemingly due to my gender, I was steered away from academic success on more than one occasion by older male deans. Would Paige have encountered this in the 90s? For instance, how did Dr. Linkletter interact with Paige? I can't recall.
This could be an interesting spin-off, but, again, I'd rather see Paige reverse course now, and be happier for it, as a kind of inspiration for middle-school and high school age viewers and their parents.

But then again, only in a spin-off set in the future could we see either Paige or maybe Mandy (or Georgie) sitting in a community college classroom with a child old enough to sit still during a U.S. History 101 course, which is an amusing memory to me because my then-young daughter piped up with: "Mommy. Your shirt is on backwards."
And then there was the time all 3 of my kids participated in a Creative Writing performance assignment, wearing home-made mouse costumes. 
IDK.
It would be great to see young Paige end the series giving a presentation before, say, the National Academy of Sciences — maybe in tandem with Sheldon.
But probably she'll just fade into the sunset of the show.

• Like 3

There's a reason you rarely hear follow-up stories about child prodigies. While they have the intellect to handle college courses at a young age, they don't have the emotional maturity to deal with the stress. They tend to drop out and eventually find a career that doesn't draw attention to their abilities. Paige's story is closer to the norm than Sheldon. Well, a turtle inventing a wormhole-traveling spaceship is more realistic than Sheldon, but still ...

Oh, I started college at 14 as a female math/CS/physics major and no one, and I mean no one, went out of their way to coddle me. I was another student, just one who couldn't drive yet.

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 1