Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E02: The New Hot Mess

• Start Topic

Captain Strand and the 126 race to the rescue when a woman is trapped in her mobile house that has been hijacked by her ex. Owen has a run in with former nemesis Sgt. O’Brien and is then questioned by the FBI. Tommy asks Grace dating advice. T.K. and Carlos meet with Iris Blake.

Airdate: 01/31/2023

1 hour ago, LtKelley said:

Aside from the branding and being right wing, have the Honor Dogs done anything other than ride motorcycles as a hobby, be nice to first responders and mostly just hang out?

We were told they are suspected of buying a massive amount of explosives, but we weren't told why they were suspected of it.  Since they said there wasn't enough evidence to get a warrant, it's kind of vague how strong the evidence actually is. 

I get that dating ones pastor could be a bit fraught. But Tommy just needs to talk to him about her concerns. Grow up!

Carols and TK needed to tell Iris they were in a hurry. As far as I could tell, she had no idea they were trying to get this all done with a deadline. I am not looking forward to whatever melodrama they have cooked up for Iris and her abandoned car.

Marjan doing the helicopter rescue was similar to the rescue they did someone needing to drop down to an airplane gone wrong, but I still enjoyed seeing her getting to do something. That was the only rescue this episode, wasn't it? 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

I question whether the FBI would actually recruit a civilian like Owen to infiltrate a separatist group. Also, I don't remember the circumstances of Neal McDonough's previous appearance on this show, but I'm guessing he too is working undercover to bring down the biker gang.

The Carlos/Iris nonsense can end anytime but somehow I sense its going to go on and on....

Ugh, I know, there always has to be something right? I did get a kick out of Iris making T.K. enumerate his many near death experiences. At least the show is somewhat self-aware how ridiculous it is. 

• Like 10
  • LOL 1
12 hours ago, possibilities said:

I get that dating ones pastor could be a bit fraught. But Tommy just needs to talk to him about her concerns. Grow up!

Why is she acting as though it is blasphemy? It's not as if he had taken a vow of celibacy that she would be corrupting.

• Like 6
1 hour ago, LtKelley said:

Thats where I am like "so there's not enough evidence for a warrant but there is enough evidence to send a civilian into a potentially hostile situation to plant a legal/semilegal/how can this be legal if there's no warrant listening device into the office and damn this seems sketch" on the whole business. 

. . . and no one even thinks to show him exactly how to operate that listening device. Give me a break!

• Like 9
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I question whether the FBI would actually recruit a civilian like Owen to infiltrate a separatist group.

I expect this show to roll out cartoonish plots, and by "cartoonish," I mean Road Runner v. Wylie Coyote levels of crazy.
However, they really needed to have the fibbies in a van around the corner from the biker bar with Owen wearing at least a listening device. 
Hey. Here's an idea. Activate the listening device he's planting so you can listen to him while he's doing it and make sure he's not in danger or anything. 

The worst part of the "date" for me was that the pastor's daughter didn't get to come.

Any chance that Iris was not driving the car, and she just left the divorce papers in the car, assuming they weren't going to be used because Carlos was going to get an annulment instead?

• Like 3

Does anyone know who the blonde (FBI?) woman was who asked Owen to plant the device? I've seen her somewhere before and can't remember... (could be a Hallmark movie!)

I searched on imdb but can't find her there either.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, possibilities said:

There were no captions available for this episode. I know it wasn't my tv because other shows had them. 

I had no problem with this episode, but recently on several shows on different platforms and stations there have been no captions, even though there normally are captions for that show, and even though when I check to be sure my captions setting is still “on,” it is.
The captions do appear later. 
This morning when it happened with an NBC show on Peacock, I just turned everything off because I really couldn’t follow what one British actor was saying, but then when I tried starting it again a few moments later, the captions were there.    
Maybe some software hiccup?🤷🏻‍♀️

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
25 minutes ago, Bliss said:

Does anyone know who the blonde (FBI?) woman was who asked Owen to plant the device? I've seen her somewhere before and can't remember... (could be a Hallmark movie!)

Amanda Schull. I remember her from Suits.

Btw, I usually find the names (& pictures) of guest stars on TvMaze, e.g.

https://www.tvmaze.com/episodes/2405814/9-1-1-lone-star-4x02-the-new-hot-mess

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 3
27 minutes ago, Bliss said:

Amanda Schull. I know her from the movie Center Stage (2000)

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1
  • Love 1

Why is she acting as though it is blasphemy? It's not as if he had taken a vow of celibacy that she would be corrupting.

I think it's more of what Owen said, that if things don't work out she won't be comfortable going to that church anymore. Although to the best of my recollection she's never been in that church before, that we've seen, so, whatever. 

• Like 4
  • LOL 3
9 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Also, I don't remember the circumstances of Neal McDonough's previous appearance on this show, but I'm guessing he too is working undercover to bring down the biker gang.

That’s what I was thinking, especially since he warned Owen off, more than once

• Like 7

Yeah, I also assume O'Brien is undercover. If he wasn't, he'd have no problem selling Owen out to the Nazi Gang members. Which, I mean, good, we really don't need a Nazi as a recurring character and he was so obvious about being undercover. I assume O'Brien took out the device because it would interfere with his own investigation, or he thought that it would be too obvious Owen planted it if found.

Tommy's plot with the pastor, though better than last season's romance with her dead husband's brother, is still not great. Now these two are so sexually attracted to each other that Tommy is having sexual dreams and Pastor...Trevor (I think his name is?) can readily forgive her for not informing him of the group date aspect. Which WAS very shitty for him AND for Grace/Judd. Owen's advice was not bad, but Tommy took the advice in the wrong way. 

Carlos/Iris/TK's story was ridiculous. I love the actress, but Iris is irritating. Yeah, yeah, Carlos says she's blunt and honest. She's still very rude and not very receptive to social cues, and I don't necessarily think that's on purpose. I'm glad she was the one who pointed out that they could possibly get an annulment since their marriage was never legit, but now she's missing, so more drama ahead.

Marjan gets to jump out of a helicopter (btw, I have issues with her and TK being on the helicopter and getting there super quickly; what, did Marjan anticipate needing to join via helicopter and stay behind?) and every other supporting main gets nothing to do, as usual.

• Like 2
15 hours ago, LtKelley said:

What next, she'll be dating Carlos?

Don't give them any ideas...

So the feds got this random firefighter civilian to bug this possible terrorist organization and they never even told him how to turn it on? Come on now! I am also pretty sure that Neal McDonough is also undercover and that's why he kept trying to warn Owen off, to keep him from screwing up his investigation or getting too far in. 

I can get Tommy being worried about the gossips in church talking about her dating the hot new pastor, but she was being so weird about having sex with him or being attracted to him. He's not a priest, he has a child and ex wife so he's clearly not celebrate, it was so overdramatic. But at least she's not still hot for her brother in law. 

Iris couldn't have just said she wanted the marriage annulled and saved everyone the trouble? I am not a fan, she just seems rude and self important. I am so not looking forward to a plot where we have to find where she disappeared to yet again. Remember when this show was about rescues? 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Like 1

I'm glad she was the one who pointed out that they could possibly get an annulment since their marriage was never legit, but now she's missing, so more drama ahead.

Unless times have changed, or it depends on the church, annulments take a lot longer than divorces and are harder to get.

Remember when this show was about rescues? 

No.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Remember when this show was about rescues?

This!!! They always had some personal stuff but the balance has tipped way too far in that direction.

Owen comes off looking stupid, when all of us can see the other guy is probably undercover also. Likewise, Judd cottoning to them being "Nazis" before he did, it's just making Owen look unseasoned and dim. 

• Like 3
19 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I think it's more of what Owen said, that if things don't work out she won't be comfortable going to that church anymore. 

So, if they went out on a few dates and decided not to take it any further, neither of them would be able to behave like grown ups? Even if they did have a long term relationship and decided to end it, they also wouldn't be able to behave like grown ups?

Immature? Yes, but I'm still not getting how that makes her a blaspheme as she seems to think.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, possibilities said:

Owen comes off looking stupid, when all of us can see the other guy is probably undercover also. Likewise, Judd cottoning to them being "Nazis" before he did, it's just making Owen look unseasoned and dim

Owen has never seemed the sharpest tool in the shed.  Knows his skin care products but.... !

I think whatever 'happened' to Iris she faked it.  It's all just too convenient that right after she suggests the annulment  (in a round about way making TJ and Carlos freak out over it) she just happens to go missing and I'm sure everyone drives around with divorce papers in their car!  Maybe if she had gone missing right after she left their house but we know she didn't because TK visited her at the shelter.  I do not like this character at all.  Didn't like her sister and like her even less.  Please go and let's see some real rescues. 

• Like 1
On 2/2/2023 at 10:33 AM, possibilities said:

This!!! They always had some personal stuff but the balance has tipped way too far in that direction.

Owen comes off looking stupid, when all of us can see the other guy is probably undercover also. Likewise, Judd cottoning to them being "Nazis" before he did, it's just making Owen look unseasoned and dim. 

Agreed that the balance is tipped way too far away from rescues.

As to Owen looking dim: if the dunce cap fits...

Edited by jcbrown
  • Like 2
20 hours ago, I Want My MBTV said:

Owen has never seemed the sharpest tool in the shed.  Knows his skin care products but.... !

I think whatever 'happened' to Iris she faked it.  It's all just too convenient that right after she suggests the annulment  (in a round about way making TJ and Carlos freak out over it) she just happens to go missing and I'm sure everyone drives around with divorce papers in their car!  Maybe if she had gone missing right after she left their house but we know she didn't because TK visited her at the shelter.  I do not like this character at all.  Didn't like her sister and like her even less.  Please go and let's see some real rescues. 

Maybe the writers are going to try the far fetched story line: she thought faking her own death would be faster than an annulment, so she is doing this to try to help TK and Carlos?

• Applause 1
On 2/1/2023 at 5:18 AM, BooksRule said:

Best line of the night:  'How many comas have you been in?'

I think the best is "Dude's definitely getting a ticket." 😂 If one remembers the history with the sergeant. 😏

• Like 2
  • LOL 2

Indeed. While I don't get why Tommy is so mortified about having unknowingly hit on her new pastor (or even why she would have been if she had known who he was at the time), the amount of mystery about why she felt compelled to in the first place is zero!

Edited by Bruinsfan
  • Like 3
On 2/2/2023 at 11:13 AM, tennisgurl said:

He's not a priest, he has a child and ex wife so he's clearly not celebrate, it was so overdramatic. But at least she's not still hot for her brother in law. 

He is not a priest but I would imagine even for a pastor sex outside of marriage would probably be frowned upon. And she basically told Nancy she wants sex but doesn't want to get married.

• Like 1