Type keyword(s) to search

S48.E10: Aubrey Plaza / Sam Smith

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Not4Me said:

Meanwhile I had to rewatch The Black Lotus only to realize Aubrey (who happens to be half Puerto Rican) was the Latina receptionist. I thought it was a new cast member, she’s that good!

Meanwhile, I didn't realize that was Aubrey as M3GAN. I thought it was Chloe!

EDIT: It WAS Chloe as the original M3GAN. I wasn't seeing things.

Edited by Galileo908

A solid episode.  Not very familiar with Aubrey, but she did well.

• Usually the "studio tour" openings are lame, but this one worked because of her past.
  • I hope Michael Strahan has a sense of humor.
  • TONY HAWK!!
  • Chloe's Jennifer Coolidge impression wasn't annoying enough.
  • Amy Pohler's WU bit was a little forced.
  • Not a Sam Smith fan and this did nothing to change my opinion.
  • Like 2

It took me a minute to realize Molly Kearney was playing Terry Bradshaw in the cold open. She didn't seem thrilled to me.

Bowen's probably been itching to play Santos for weeks. Talk about a role he was born to play. This could be his Palin.

What was with Audrey's Marilyn Monroe look? Is that for a role?

Black Lotus. I would watch that so hard. They'd need to have Jennfer Lewis along with Jennifer Coolidge though.

The Taboo game night was insane. Every answer was 100 x worse than the one before. Aubrey and Mikey killed  it.

Heaven closed for MLK Day. Oy, that could be taken the wrong way.

The two M3GANs doing death drops, lol. I don't think either of the actresses quite had the iconic M3GAN dance down however.

Did I miss when Sam Smith went full glam? Whatever, that was a rather bland performance of Unholy compared to the music video. (Over on reddit someone said Smith was dressed as a clitoris, hah hah.)

I haven't seen the new Avatar movie so that skit mostly went by me. Also, was there some kind of cue card mishap because Mikey seems to have blanked out on his lines near the end.

WTF was Sharon Stone doing in performance of Gloria, striking artistic poses? She still looks good IMO but she's not some kind of Greek goddess.

Is Sam Smith really that tall or is most of the SNL cast that short? They were towering over most of the other people on stage during the sign off. Maybe they were wearing platform shoes.

I thought Aubrey was great. She can come back to host again.

From what I gathered of Sam Smith's first song, it was a glorification of cheating?

Nah, I don't think so. It was more about the particular kind of cheating and a mockery of why that would be considered worse by some. This is a case where it helps to see the music video.

Because some of us were curious to see more Devon Walker but if this is his type of humour I just don't much care for it.

I haven't been impressed with the guy at all and this sketch didn't help. I'll be surprised if he's brought back for another season.

I hope Michael Strahan has a sense of humor.     

Right? His tooth gap has long been easy to joke about but his diction is fine. Walker's take on Strahan seemed out-of-touch and oddly mean-spirited to me. Oh well, Strahan stays winning on two broadcast networks and Walker is barely scraping by on one.

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
  • Like 3
On 1/21/2023 at 11:18 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

It was extremely close to the real show!  I think that's why I didn't find it funny.  It's almost like it was made for people who haven't seen it.  There wasn't anything that was enough of a twist on the real show for me.

I've seen both seasons of The White Lotus, and I loved The Black Lotus sketch. Chloe's Jennifer Coolidge impression was great, and I enjoyed the takes on the other White Lotus characters. But of course the best part was the black staff's reactions to these annoying, entitled, rich people. My favorite line was from Ego: "Is the ocean the hotel? Because I work at the hotel."

On 1/22/2023 at 12:36 AM, Ms Blue Jay said:

I love how Bowen said "Miss Ravache if you're nasty."

I thought he said, "Mr. Devolder if you're nasty." Devolder is a name he has used -- His mother's name.

The best part of the CO was George Santos. That man can't be mocked enough. 

I didn't really care for the monologue. I liked Aubrey in The White Lotus. I ended up liking her in Parks & Rec, though her character was too annoying at first. But I didn't enjoy her in the monologue or even in most of the sketches.

Loved the Miss Universe sketch, and count me among others who had no idea this was based on the contestants actually screeching their country's names. I cracked up when Tony Hawk screeched as well.

Did not like the Game Night or nuns sketches.

Megan 2.0 was a big nothing to me. I'm aware of the movie but not interested in it in the slightest. Same with the Avatar sketch. Nothing funny there.

Loved George Santos in WU. He's Balloon Boy! His lie detector test is actually his COVID card, and then he answers a call from Madonna on it. So crazy. Loved all of it.

I guess I need to listen to the real George Santos speak. (Is there a REAL George Santos?) The only time I watched a video of him was the interview when he was back in Brazil as a drag performer. (And I firmly believe that IS him.)

• Like 2
48 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I've seen both seasons of The White Lotus, and I loved The Black Lotus sketch. Chloe's Jennifer Coolidge impression was great, and I enjoyed the takes on the other White Lotus characters. But of course the best part was the black staff's reactions to these annoying, entitled, rich people. My favorite line was from Ego: "Is the ocean the hotel? Because I work at the hotel."

I'm pretty sure Valentina said that almost verbatim, no?  It was in Italian though.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Like 3
6 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

It took me a minute to realize Molly Kearney was playing Terry Bradshaw in the cold open. She didn't seem thrilled to me.

I've liked her in things, but in this sketch, it seemed like she was thinking "How would Aidy Bryant play this?"

It might have been the writing, though. I bet the writers are writing for her like they would for Aidy. That's not doing her any favors.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I thought he said, "Mr. Devolder if you're nasty." Devolder is a name he has used -- His mother's name.

I didn't really care for the monologue. I liked Aubrey in The White Lotus. I ended up liking her in Parks & Rec, though her character was too annoying at first. But I didn't enjoy her in the monologue or even in most of the sketches.

Loved the Miss Universe sketch, and count me among others who had no idea this was based on the contestants actually screeching their country's names. I cracked up when Tony Hawk screeched as well.

Megan 2.0 was a big nothing to me. I'm aware of the movie but not interested in it in the slightest. Same with the Avatar sketch. Nothing funny there.

Loved George Santos in WU. He's Balloon Boy! His lie detector test is actually his COVID card, and then he answers a call from Madonna on it. So crazy. Loved all of it.

I guess I need to listen to the real George Santos speak. (Is there a REAL George Santos?) The only time I watched a video of him was the interview when he was back in Brazil as a drag performer. (And I firmly believe that IS him.)

Yes, There IS A Real George Santos And He DOES LIE And Claims To Do Every Thing ! ! He Really IS A Drag Queen ! ! 

5 hours ago, Milburn Stone said:

It might have been the writing, though. I bet the writers are writing for her like they would for Aidy. That's not doing her any favors.

That's EXACTLY the vibe I've been getting from Molly. They can do more, but the writers keep writing for Aidy.

3 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Are there always Vegas showgirls anytime a host goes behind the scenes?

There's also a guy dressed as Lincoln and a Llama, but they've been MIA the past few times they've done it.

• Like 2
14 hours ago, Tachi Rocinante said:

Amy Pohler's WU bit was a little forced.

Not sure if this will change your mind, but remember she was playing the Leslie Knope character from Parks & Rec when she was on Update.  That character might be described as being a little forced.  And Aubrey was playing her Parks & Rec character - good series if you get the urge to watch it.  I'm assuming maybe you haven't seen it since you said you weren't that familiar with Aubrey Plaza.

• Like 6
2 hours ago, Tachi Rocinante said:

I meant the whole idea of Leslie being on WU was forced.  Just having Aubrey there as April was enough.

I Think That Maybe They Wanted The Host AND Amy Together And That Amy Used To Do Week End Update So Amy Was On Week End Update Again ! ! 

2 hours ago, Tachi Rocinante said:

I meant the whole idea of Leslie being on WU was forced.  Just having Aubrey there as April was enough.

Well, I guess it was kind of contrived.  Makes more sense than having Aubrey on there though, I can't see the April character having any interest in doing that.  But it's all in fun.

• Like 1
On 1/23/2023 at 1:50 PM, peeayebee said:

Apparently not since SNL dedicated so much on the show to doing that. I'm not complaining. It wasn't too much for me. But I'm surprised it hasn't been brought up since they used him as the butt of so many jokes. 

On 1/23/2023 at 5:58 PM, peeayebee said:

I was being sarcastic. Kind of like, "Will the real George Santos please stand up." (For you kids, that's a reference to the old show To Tell The Truth.)

Not to the Eminem song?

• LOL 4
On 1/23/2023 at 10:32 AM, Joimiaroxeu said:

The Taboo game night was insane. Every answer was 100 x worse than the one before. Aubrey and Mikey killed  it.

Loved it!

On 1/23/2023 at 5:04 PM, Milburn Stone said:

I've liked her in things, but in this sketch, it seemed like she was thinking "How would Aidy Bryant play this?"

Walker's take on Strahan seemed out-of-touch and oddly mean-spirited to me. 

I was so excited when I saw the Fox NFL set with the five of them, but boy did the skit disappoint.  It wasn't funny, Molly's Terry was awful, the Strahan stuff was mean-spirited, and Mikey's Howie in no way captured anything about Howie.  I can't recall it right now but there was a skit with Molly early on, maybe something where they were in the SNL offices, and she was talking about her background or something, and it played perfectly to her strengths.  But the Aidy 2.0 just ain't Molly.

I haven't seen the new Avatar movie so that skit mostly went by me. Also, was there some kind of cue card mishap because Mikey seems to have blanked out on his lines near the end.

I wondered the same thing.  They kept focusing on Kenan and Mikey even though they weren't really saying anything.  I actually thought it was because there was some costume malfunction with a quick change that Aubrey and Heidi were supposed to do in the scene, and that Mikey and Kenan were vamping to stall for time.  But that wasn't the case.

• Like 2
On 1/23/2023 at 12:50 PM, peeayebee said:

The Reaction To Them Playing The Game Was What Was Supposed To Be Funny !The Avatar Sketch is That Mikey Thought There Were Imposters But, He Refused To Believe Those playing Basketball Was The Imposters ! ! IT Turned Out That Kenan Was Trying To Get Him To Accept Them Playing Basketball Was The Imposters, But, Kenan WAS The Imposter ! ! ! That Is What Is Supposed To Be Funny About The Avatar ! Yes, There IS A REAL George Santos ! The REAL George Santos Lies Even More Than Donald Trump IF That Is Possible And The REAL George Santos Said His Mother WAS In New York On 9-11, But, His Mother Was In Brazil Which Is In South America ! ! The REAL George Santos IS A Drag Queen ! 

On 1/23/2023 at 9:32 AM, Joimiaroxeu said:

The two M3GANs doing death drops, lol. I don't think either of the actresses quite had the iconic M3GAN dance down however.

After watching the movie M3GAN I remembered that SNL did this sketch and I rewatched it.  The dancing came out of nowhere in the movie, now I see why it was a meme and why they parodied it.  
You are right, neither Chloe nor Aubrey had the dance down.

• Like 1