Type keyword(s) to search

Missy: A Heavenly Scary Poppins

darkestboy
  • Start Topic

I think since the first episode of the new season was all about Easter Eggs....I predict 'Missy' might just have connections to 'The Doctors Daughter' episode. Not only did the Doctor unwillingly give his DNA, he created a 'child' with it (again, albeit unwillingly) whom he though died.

Perhaps, "Missy" thinks she was abandoned? The difference in appearance could be from a new regeneration cycle?

Hmm, still doesn't explain the 'boyfriend' crack though. We shall find out.

I think since the first episode of the new season was all about Easter Eggs....I predict 'Missy' might just have connections to 'The Doctors Daughter' episode. Not only did the Doctor unwillingly give his DNA, he created a 'child' with it (again, albeit unwillingly) whom he though died.

Perhaps, "Missy" thinks she was abandoned? The difference in appearance could be from a new regeneration cycle?

Hmm, still doesn't explain the 'boyfriend' crack though. We shall find out.

An interesting theory, but unlikely, not only because Jenny wouldn't refer to the 'father' she barely knew as her boyfriend, but also because we saw that although she had the ability to regenerate her body in order to revive after being killed, she came back in the same body instead of generating a new one.

I really hope the arc with this Missy character is decently written - the first scene in Deep Breath was not promising, and the character on first appearance comes across as just another version of far too many previous Moffat characters. Fingers crossed for improvement as the story develops - and for that story to be properly integrated into the season rather than tacked half-heartedly onto unrelated stories here and there.

An interesting theory, but unlikely, not only because Jenny wouldn't refer to the 'father' she barely knew as her boyfriend, but also because we saw that although she had the ability to regenerate her body in order to revive after being killed, she came back in the same body instead of generating a new one.

I really hope the arc with this Missy character is decently written - the first scene in Deep Breath was not promising, and the character on first appearance comes across as just another version of far too many previous Moffat characters. Fingers crossed for improvement as the story develops - and for that story to be properly integrated into the season rather than tacked half-heartedly onto unrelated stories here and there.

Do you subscribe to 'Emergency Awesome' (he doesn't just do Dr Who, either) on YouTube? He, and his viewers, have some fanatic thoughts on this subject. Specifically, they think Missy may be a left behind companion in a pocket universe (I forgot which one, because I haven't watched too much old Dr Who, yet.)

I think, perhaps, you might be right, that it's not, specifically, Jenny, but I think Missy 'could' have a tie in to that particular episode (maybe it's just me though.) I, also, agree...hope they make this character fascinating. My first thought on Missy was, 'She looks unhinged', but so do a lot of Dr Who characters... ;)

For what it's worth one of the official books confirmed that Jenny didn't regenerate, the Source brought her back to life.

Never read the books :P      Thanks for the info.

Edited by LexiconDevilOne

Do you subscribe to 'Emergency Awesome' (he doesn't just do Dr Who, either) on YouTube? He, and his viewers, have some fanatic thoughts on this subject. Specifically, they think Missy may be a left behind companion in a pocket universe (I forgot which one, because I haven't watched too much old Dr Who, yet.)

I don't watch fan review videos on youtube, no. The only classic companion to be left behind in an alternate universe (e-space) was Romana, who made that choice herself (and who Big Finish has brought back into our n-space and made president of Gallifrey). Missy, from what we've seen of her so far, is nothing like Romana - so much so that I'd spit nails if that turned out to be the case!

Oh my gosh, I, highly, recommend it. The guy who puts the videos out, puts out quality, while being intelligent and entertaining (and no, I'm not a shill for him.)

Edited, I re-watched, and two companions have been left behind in a pocket universe, Ronnie and Romana. Also, they referred to a Susan. I don't know anything about these characters...anything pertinent I need to know?...Another thing the video pointed out (and displayed) were how similar Missy's heaven looked, compared to the resort Island that had a disease that killed people who had two hearts Amy was stuck in.

Thanks for replying back, I was looking for good place to debate and discuss Dr Who...

Here's hoping for great things to come.

Edited by LexiconDevilOne

Ronnie? I think they are referring to the extended universe there (novels, audios), rather than the TV show. There has been no companion called Ronnie in the TV show. Susan was the Doctor's granddaughter and on the show she was left on Earth in the 22nd century, not a pocket universe - she may have a different fate in the extended universe, but I've only dabbled in that. Although Big Finish continuity was obliquely referred to in Night of the Doctor (companions from the audios named), I can't imagine that the show would draw so heavily on obscure secondary media for a primary storyline.

Romana, as I mentioned above, was left in e-space (a different universe, outside of our own) on-screen on the TV show, but that was her own choice - if you don't know the character, she's a Time Lord who'd been the 4th Doctor's companion for three seasons, and she chose to stay because she saw a job that needed doing and because she didn't want to return to Gallifrey.

Edited by Llywela

Knowing how Moffett works, Missy is probably a new character and we're meeting her "out of

order", a la River. It's possible we'll see her show up for an official first meeting at some point in time prior to the ending scene in Deep Breath.

Edited by Locutus

Knowing how Moffett works, Missy is probably a new character and we're meeting her "out of

order", a la River. It's possible we'll see her show up for an official first meeting at some point in time prior to the ending scene in Deep Breath.

That seems more than possible!

And to think people used to accuse Terry Nation of writing the same stuff over and over. The more things change...

• Love 1

I can't see Missy being River/Jenny/Romana/the Rani/any past character at the moment.

Funny, the minute Missy mentioned being the Doctor's boyfriend, my mind jumped to The Rani, even though I barely recall her stories, or whether Six or Seven ever even mentioned anything about them having a past relationship.    

I don't know who she is but I suspect she's going to be something like a River Song character.  Someone who knows the Doctor in a way that only Moffat can dream up in his continual rewriting of Doctor Who history.

I thought the set that was used for the Missy scene looked like the virtual reality place where River Song ended up.

Interesting about the boyfriend comment but I don't see that as a Clara comment.  The dialogue went like this.  DoctorI'm not your boyfriendClaraI never said you wereDoctorI never said it was your mistake.  That implied to me that Moffat made it sound like Eleven was the one who thought he was Clara's boyfriend.     

• Love 2

I think the Clara/Doctor Boyfriend talk was just Moffat talking to the audience again....

As for Missy and any possibility of her Being Clara?Well Clara was kind of a nanny and Missy is kind of an evil looking Mary Poppins :p

Maybe she could end end up a bad slice of Clara? I mean Clara entered the Doctor's time stream and split into many copies of herself. I could think of ways that might be a good story arc but more for an episode not the whole season.

Though Missy being Clara wouldn't be my guess at all but we'll see.

Edited by tarotx

The collecting of individuals is interesting. I wonder if she's building up to some sort of "trial" and needs victims/witnesses. If so, comparisons to Colin Baker's Trial of a Time Lord season will no doubt follow.

It recently occurred to me, since we now know that Missy had chosen Clara, what was going on in the bedroom scene in "Listen".  It was Missy underneath the blanket on Rupert's bed!  She was there watching, and testing, Clara.  Somehow the Doctor sensed her presence and not ready to confront her, tells "it" to leave and that they wouldn't turn around to see who or what it was.

And that is what she was doing when the watchman from "The Caretaker" arrived at the Netherworld and Seb had to take care of him.  We see her returning from the past.

;0) I am being semi-serious.  It would be a way to explain a few things and to tie everything together.

Edited by elle
  • Love 1

Maeve said she thought it was "Miss" and looked at Clara.  I'm pretty sure she's providing this season's version of "The only water in the forest is the river"; it's a cryptic misunderstood statement that everyone in the audience figures out immediately.  "Miss" = "Missy" = the woman who gave Clara the Doctor's phone number = Clara's puppetmaster.

Bringing this over from the "The Forest in the Night" thread, to discuss here.  In the preview for the next episode Missy says something to the Doctor along the lines of "don't you know me" or recognize me or something.  While the thought of Missy actually being Clara makes my head spin - Clara chose herself and gave herself the Doctor's number - what? - could Missy be, as has been speculated, a time lord/lady?  Could she be the Trickster?  He was mentioned once in "Turn Left" as the time beetle was one of his tricks.

I know I'm not going to like whatever is planned.  I'm just hoping it isn't as bad as I fear.

Maybe.  After seeing the promo for the next episode again, I had the awful feeling that what I was watching was a body switch between Clara and Missy.  I'll be really disappointed if they go that way.

In the mysterious world of the Nethersphere, plans have been drawn. Old friends and old enemies maneuver around The Doctor, and an impossible choice is looming over him.

Description of upcoming episode - very vague.  One could substitute Pandorica or Trenzalore for Nethersphere and have the same description.
  • Love 2

I love it. I never get tired of seeing the Master. People have speculated for years that he's secretly (and not so secretly) lusted after the Doctor and now we have confirmation. I want Missy to be a companion next season, with the Doctor forced to cart her around to keep her out of trouble, and at the same time trying to keep her out of his pants.

While I do prefer the Master as male, I will admit that Michelle Gomez's take is interesting and the scheme with the Cybermen is very in character too.

Oh and we all know the Master has wanted to snog the Doctor for a long while. Now she did.

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2014-11-07/doctor-who-missy-reveal-was-a-proper-twist-says-steven-moffat

Speaking in a clip from behind-the-scenes iPlayer series Doctor Who Extra, he said: “It’s just a proper, good old twist! We’ve been saying for years now, certainly since I took over, that regeneration can change your gender.”
“That I thought, is maybe the one they won’t see coming.”

Oh Moff, you might think you're oh so clever, but apparently we're cleverer.

No, that was the Doctor. The Master remained as Jonathan Pryce throughout.

Yes, you're right. It's been a while since I watched it. Still, it contains the idea of a Time Lord regenerating into a Time Lady. And on further thought, I first heard of the idea sometime between the telemovie and Fatal Death. It was mentioned in the Completely Useless Encyclopedia. Though I suppose the origin isn't that important, it's the execution that matters.

I really enjoyed the Master in this episode - the cold way she killed Osgood, almost killed Kate, the strange motives for keeping Twelve and Clara together and even the whole attempt of trying to tempt Twelve with an army as well was so deliciously bonkers. Not to mention the mindfuck with Twelve over Gallifrey's whereabouts.

Why is it so important for The Doctor, or The Master, to be female?  Is it just to open up the casting possibilities?  Could not the same effect happen if a Time Lady took up the mantle of The Doctor if he had died a proper death?

Why is it so important for The Doctor, or The Master, to be female?  Is it just to open up the casting possibilities?  Could not the same effect happen if a Time Lady took up the mantle of The Doctor if he had died a proper death?

I think it's to do with political correctness, quite frankly. People want the Doctor to become a woman just to make a point. And to demonstrate inclusiveness, to explore transgender issues - but imo this show is not the platform for that and should not be hijiacked for political agendas.

Personally, I think the regeneration of the Master into a woman in the main merely demonstrated all the reasons why turning the Doctor into a woman wouldn't work – this show is simply not equipped to deal with the ramifications in any meaningful way. It would just be a gimmick, as it was here.Why was the Master turned into a woman? Because Moffat wanted to prove that he could, and so that he could throw a bone to all the slash fans out there who've always wanted to believe that the Master and the Doctor were in love really, but he also wanted to play safe by having that twisted pseudo-romantic dynamic play out between a man and a woman rather than between two men.

Edited by Llywela
  • Love 2

Why is it so important for The Doctor, or The Master, to be female?  Is it just to open up the casting possibilities?

It's not important. But if he can. why not? I really believe that was Moffat's thinking, why not? Plus he gets a kick out of watching some parts of fandoms heads explode.

Edited by HauntedBathroom
  • Love 2

It's not important. But if he can. why not? I really believe that was Moffat's thinking, why not? Plus he gets a kick out of watching some parts of fandoms heads explode.

Yeah. He does. I find that really unprofessional, to be honest. He's doing stuff to get a reaction, not because it's right for either the story or the show. Trolling on a grand scale. As a consumer of his product, I'd prefer to be treated with respect than laughed at for caring about the quality of it, thanks all the same.

• Love 2

Imagine if the Doctor were a woman but completely weak and constantly controlled, bossed around like Capaldi? You could never get away with that, it would be the absolute end of the show as showrunner was accused of being nothing more than a vile misogynist. That's if a woman was given the identical material that Capalid has.

That's why it would be terrible to have the Doctor regen into female form. The show would then immediately become solely focused on what it meant for the Doctor to be a woman. Everything would have to be written with an overarching concern for fact the Doctor was a woman. That's what the show would be about, the Doctor as a woman instead of the Doctor as a curious and almost unknowable alien Time Traveler. 

So no thanks to the Doctor as a woman. 

• Love 6

I think it's to do with political correctness, quite frankly. People want the Doctor to become a woman just to make a point. And to demonstrate inclusiveness, to explore transgender issues - but imo this show is not the platform for that and should not be hijiacked for political agendas.

Personally, I think the regeneration of the Master into a woman in the main merely demonstrated all the reasons why turning the Doctor into a woman wouldn't work – this show is simply not equipped to deal with the ramifications in any meaningful way. It would just be a gimmick, as it was here.Why was the Master turned into a woman? Because Moffat wanted to prove that he could, and so that he could throw a bone to all the slash fans out there who've always wanted to believe that the Master and the Doctor were in love really, but he also wanted to play safe by having that twisted pseudo-romantic dynamic play out between a man and a woman rather than between two men.

This isn't the first he's done this but if it makes it any better the last time he had the Doctor/Master pairing as a hetro couple he had the doctor as a woman? He's already had the Doctor as a woman

If someone had told me last year that they were going to bring back the Master as a woman, I would have cringed, but I had no problem with Missy (actually, I loved her). Maybe it would be the same with a female Doctor, but I'm skeptical. Which may reflect a problem in my own thinking,although I do think that, whether we look at gender as biologically rooted or a pure product of social conditioning, the fact remains that gender does seem to me more rooted to a person's core identity than even things like race or ethnicity. It would be a lot harder for me to accept a female doctor as a logical continuation of the character, and I agree with tv-talk that it would be hard to avoid running into larger problems of how to write for a female Doctor. That doesn't mean it couldn't be done well and work, but there are a lot more potential pitfalls.

The Master simply isn't as complex or central a figure as the Doctor, so the change worked far more easily than I think it would in his case. 

If someone had told me last year that they were going to bring back the Master as a woman, I would have cringed, but I had no problem with Missy (actually, I loved her). Maybe it would be the same with a female Doctor, but I'm skeptical.

Casting would be crucial, but I think there would be scenarios where a female Doctor would be at a disadvantage. If dropped into a society where women are subservient, Missy can just kill a few people to get respect; the Doctor doesn't work that way. Have there ever been any stories where the Doctor finds himself where men are subservient and his usual take-charge methods don't work?

Casting would be crucial, but I think there would be scenarios where a female Doctor would be at a disadvantage. If dropped into a society where women are subservient, Missy can just kill a few people to get respect; the Doctor doesn't work that way. Have there ever been any stories where the Doctor finds himself where men are subservient and his usual take-charge methods don't work?

Very good point!  Look at what happen to Martha when Ten went into hiding in pre-WWI Earth.

Didn't Two often pretend to be less smart than he was to appear less of a threat?