Bill (Nick Offerman)
Fi041YqVQAAq3GF?format=jpg&name=4096x409
Frank (Murray Bartlett)
Fi04sL0VUAA2Y6l?format=jpg&name=4096x409
Tommy (Gabriel Luna)
Fi06SsOUcAA03Ir?format=jpg&name=4096x409
Marlene (Merle Dandridge)
Fi07rV-VsAEeJsw?format=jpg&name=4096x409

The Critical Drinker made a review of the first three episodes. I always think it's interesting what more conservative leaning people outside my bubble think about shows and so I'd recommend watching it. Just don't click the related videos, because for the youtube algorithm it seems to be a very small step from conservative leaning to "batshit insane bigot".

Warning: There are some comparisons to the games in the second half, but I wouldn't say there are spoilers.

Edited by PurpleTentacle
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, cardigirl said:

Yay!  I guess this is because of Super Bowl Sunday?

58 minutes ago, DanaK said:

Yes, according to this and other articles

D'oh!  I didn't read the article, just noticed ads (or something) on my tv saying I could stream it earlier next week.  Now the temptation is ... do I watch it early and thus have to wait longer for episode 6 or do I watch it on Sunday, and have the same long wait I usually do? 😆

• LOL 3

This article is a couple of months old, but it turns out I’m as far behind with reading my New Yorkers as I am with watching TLoU. It’s a really good in-depth look at the challenges of adapting a video game for a TV audience, and what the creators were trying to achieve. It was published before the show started airing so no spoilers, just interesting background info.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2023/01/02/can-the-last-of-us-break-the-curse-of-bad-video-game-adaptations

• Like 2

Dever would have been my first choice for Ellie, if the show had been made a few years ago. She's such a good actor, and I think she'll absolutely kill it as Abby.

Her work in Justified and Dopesick and Booksmart is great. Talk about casting someone the audience has no choice but to empathise with.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
(edited)

I like Kaitlyn Dever a lot and think she is a fantastic actress but my reaction is the same when I first heard of this being rumored a while ago..."Her?" (TM Arrested Development).

Look there are some roles where physicality is just as important as acting ability. Look at the Reacher Movies with Tom Cruise. Decent movies but nothing like the character. Now they cast Alan Ritchson who is much closer to the actual character physically and he is killing it. 

Abby is a force of nature in the game. She is bigger than most of the male characters and can hold her own physically with all of them. Sorry but unless they do some big time cheating, in no way do I see her as a physical threat to anyone. Why would Ellie struggle so much with someone who is basically as small as she is? 

Now I now she can bulk up but there is no way she can add a foot of height even with boots and camera tricks. (Nerd clarification, Ellie is supposed to be 5'5" in TLOU2 and Bella is 5'1", so they only need to add 9 inches to Dever's height to achieve the same differential) 

All that being said, while I would prefer someone else, I guess we have no choice but to hope the show runners don't mess it up. I have no doubt acting wise she will knock it out. But they need to get creative to even come close to the game character from a physical standpoint.

YMMV.

Edited by Unclejosh
  • Like 1