Type keyword(s) to search

S43.E11: Hiding in Plain Sight

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

2 hours ago, nlkm9 said:

So you can wear the idol and not use? I vaguely remember this, was it spy shack tony?

Yes that was Tony Vlachos.  To play the idol, you have to give it to Jeff when he asks if anyone wants to play one.  Usually people try to hide the fact that they have an idol.  But Tony boldly pulled his out and wore it.  He was announcing to everyone that he had an idol, so don’t try and vote him out.  

I cannot remember whether he actually played it or not, but I do think he was going to be the target up until that point.

Seemed to me that Sami was trying to bluff people into not voting for him, but since the odds on SITD are so poor, nobody cared if he was going to play it or not. 

8 hours ago, tracyscott76 said:

It goes back through several iterations of this forum, to Mighty Big TV. I believe it was the very first recapper (Joanna?) who during the first season noted Jeff's gleeful delivery of bad news (the failure of Jenna's family to send a tape, for example) and started calling him "Just Peachy". As in, bad news for the players meant everything was Just Peachy for him (and it was the same initials as Jeff Probst, of course). I was only a lurker back then, so if there was more to it, someone can correct me!

That's how I remember it, as well.  Joanna was a fun recapper.

I've been enjoying Jesse's game narration, particularly in the second half of this season.  He's the most entertaining player this season.

It was cool that the show came up with a new advantage that was actually interesting.  They should have brought it out earlier when there were more people left.  Kudos to Cody for 1) finding it; and 2) picking Owen.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, eel21788 said:

Actually, Gobler (sarcasm, not a typo) was referring to himself as hiding in plain sight.

Well, obviously he wasn't referring to the edit! I think they took Gabler's line and used it as the episode title for the reason I stated above, though.

15 hours ago, blackwing said:

Jesse could have voted for Cassidy as a backup.  The fact that he didn't shows to me that maybe he isn't as astute as he makes himself out to be.

I don't fully understand Jesse's plan to get Karla to vote for Cassidy so then Cassidy would be all mad and turn on Karla.

The second informs the first.  Jesse was under the impression Karla was going to follow his plan and vote Cassidy.   So, in his mind, there was no need to cast his vote differently, because someone else (Karla) already was going to.

11 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

Someone’s about to get Ciried!

Someone could have been Ciried in this episode.  2 II winners, 3 HIIs (2 held by Jesse, and the one Karla has), and Cody's CYCI.  That's 6 people of 7 that could have been immune.

And Owen, I know you're under an NDA and probably can't post here right now.  But good on ya.  Can't wait until you can tell us all about it.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

Someone’s about to get Ciried! (This is why I hate all these idols floating around, aside from the fact that I can never remember who has what advantage.) (I’m still mad on Cirie’s behalf.)

Probst loved that moment so he’d probably foam at the mouth for it to happen again.  For arguments sake, let’s say Gabler wins immunity, and Jesse, Cody, and Karla all decide to play their idols (I’ll just pretend that Karla is the target and plays hers, so Jesse and Cody get nervous and play theirs-or in Jesse’s case, Jeanine’s).  That would leave Owen and Cassidy as the only ones that can be voted for.  So the question becomes, is this a Tori type situation like last season, where Owen feels he’s leaving so he takes the gamble and plays his shot in the dark?  I only say Owen since he’s been on the wrong side of the vote more often than Cassidy.

And as much as I hate having idols and advantages floating around this late in the game,  I am somewhat surprised that idols aren’t the threat anymore.  The last couple of seasons, people had idols and they either got voted off with someone, weren’t used, or were used in a symbolic nature.  The KIP has been a bust.  I guess there’s no threat with the idols like their use to be.  No one cares to get them out of the game early on like they used to.

• Love 2
35 minutes ago, LadyChatts said:

where Owen feels he’s leaving so he takes the gamble and plays his shot in the dark?

That can't happen.  They specifically noted that this vote was the last time the SiTD could be played.  That was part of why Sami did so.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

I almost forgot:

A bonus point to the sound editors for throwing in snippets of "Ancient Voices" multiple times during the challenge, including once right after Peachy mentions going old-school.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

And as much as I hate having idols and advantages floating around this late in the game,  I am somewhat surprised that idols aren’t the threat anymore.  The last couple of seasons, people had idols and they either got voted off with someone, weren’t used, or were used in a symbolic nature.  The KIP has been a bust.  I guess there’s no threat with the idols like their use to be.  No one cares to get them out of the game early on like they used to.

It's similar to the later seasons of The Walking Dead in which the walkers aren't the main danger anymore (until the writers wanted some gore or something).  I guess there is an element to the game that there are so many advantages and idols that one should just move forward and make their strategy because there is no way to anticipate all of the so-called advantages that the producers will throw at them.

• Love 1

Actually, Gobler (sarcasm, not a typo) was referring to himself as hiding in plain sight.

Well, obviously he wasn't referring to the edit! I think they took Gabler's line and used it as the episode title for the reason I stated above, though.

Yeah, I get that, but why show Gabler telling someone he had a plan to get them to the final three, and then never show him explaining that plan? It's like last week when he was telling Karla they needed to go after Cody and Jesse, and then they didn't. This week either. It's almost as if the show is including random edits of Gabler just to remind the audience he's there. He's another one whose name never seems to come up as a target but it's hard to see what his pitch would be to a jury. I remember thinking several weeks ago he was looking like a potential goat to drag to the final three and that seems ever more likely now.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, SVNBob said:

That can't happen.  They specifically noted that this vote was the last time the SiTD could be played.  That was part of why Sami did so.

Ah okay.  I can’t keep track of what’s good until when except for the idols.  And I forgot all about SITD until Sami played it.  So I guess if it did come down to Cassidy vs Owen for this vote where everyone else was immune, would that change the rule for SITD being allowed to be used at the final 6?  The show loves to maximize drama and in a case like that it would also be similar to the Cirie situation.  

And for the record, I really find it unlikely all 3 idols will come out next vote unless the idol holders all feel vulnerable.  So I don’t think we’ll end up with potentially 4 people immune at the final 6 and only 2 people as options to be voted out.

10 hours ago, SVNBob said:

They specifically noted that this vote was the last time the SiTD could be played. 

It would have been hilarious if everyone had decided to use their shots in the dark including the people with immunity, and then there was no one left to vote.

• Like 2
  • LOL 5
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Yeah, I get that, but why show Gabler telling someone he had a plan to get them to the final three, and then never show him explaining that plan? It's like last week when he was telling Karla they needed to go after Cody and Jesse, and then they didn't. This week either. It's almost as if the show is including random edits of Gabler just to remind the audience he's there. He's another one whose name never seems to come up as a target but it's hard to see what his pitch would be to a jury. I remember thinking several weeks ago he was looking like a potential goat to drag to the final three and that seems ever more likely now.

Maybe they're just foreshadowing Gabler being the person to take down Jesse/Cody and/or end up in the F3. 

• Like 1
21 hours ago, blackwing said:

Yes that was Tony Vlachos.  To play the idol, you have to give it to Jeff when he asks if anyone wants to play one.  Usually people try to hide the fact that they have an idol.  But Tony boldly pulled his out and wore it.  He was announcing to everyone that he had an idol, so don’t try and vote him out.  

I cannot remember whether he actually played it or not, but I do think he was going to be the target up until that point.

Seemed to me that Sami was trying to bluff people into not voting for him, but since the odds on SITD are so poor, nobody cared if he was going to play it or not. 

Ok one more ? - does everyone get a shot in the dark or did sami find his?

On 12/1/2022 at 8:10 AM, Lady Calypso said:

The Last Gasp, I'm surprised they brought it back. It's such a dangerous challenge, so I'm surprised the show risked it.

IMHO the only time Last Gasp might be truly dangerous is when you play it exactly how Cassidy (and Karla, to a lesser extent) did: hook your feet/legs into a submersible structure in such a way entanglement might interfere with a speedy exit.  Repeatedly do “hold your breath” drills for multiple extended periods of time, and muscle jerks/cramps/spasms aren’t uncommon.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Nashville said:

IMHO the only time Last Gasp might be truly dangerous is when you play it exactly how Cassidy (and Karla, to a lesser extent) did: hook your feet/legs into a submersible structure in such a way entanglement might interfere with a speedy exit.  Repeatedly do “hold your breath” drills for multiple extended periods of time, and muscle jerks/cramps/spasms aren’t uncommon.

This to me is the most terrifying challenge and i did feel bad that cassidy almost made it . But it in my mind they are all champs that is a very scary and touch challenge.

• Like 3
9 hours ago, millennium said:

I'm all in for Cassidy, so one thing I'm really tired of is week after week "let's vote out Cassidy."   It seems like she's always the default.

I'm tired of it, too. Do they ever say why they target her all of the time?

3 hours ago, TVFan1 said:

I'm tired of it, too. Do they ever say why they target her all of the time?

This week they mentioned it had to do with Karla.  When Ryan went home, Jesse and Cody again mentioned it would weaken Karla when Cassidy's name was brought up (or maybe it was Ryan who said that, I just know someone said it).  So I think that's the only reason, that we've seen.  What I'd like to know is why nobody thinks of targeting Karla.  Like Cassidy, she's also won challenges.  Unlike Cassidy, everyone is pretty confident she has the HII (a correct assumption).  So I can't tell if they think Karla is a weaker competitor in terms of she'd need everyone left vs Cassidy, who could manage on her own?  Or if they just want Karla to have to work with them, even if they think Cassidy is a weaker game player.  I do think we've seen Karla be more vulnerable when she's out of the loop or sees her name written down, so maybe they think she'll more willing go along with the numbers.  I don't know.    

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

I would never ever apply for Survivor myself even if I basically were guaranteed F3. This hold your breath against the rising tide challenge was a prime example of why. I would have strictly sat that challenge out, and in the off chance I were willing to try it for a little, would have tapped out after the first quasi-waterboarding.

My wife was worried that someone could get killed doing it, and while I think that's a very remote possibility, I have to concede that it IS a possibility. And as such, I hope they never bring this challenge back. 

Even if it were 100 percent safe, it's still not at all pleasant to watch IMO.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Chicago Redshirt said:

I would never ever apply for Survivor myself even if I basically were guaranteed F3. This hold your breath against the rising tide challenge was a prime example of why. I would have strictly sat that challenge out, and in the off chance I were willing to try it for a little, would have tapped out after the first quasi-waterboarding.

My wife was worried that someone could get killed doing it, and while I think that's a very remote possibility, I have to concede that it IS a possibility. And as such, I hope they never bring this challenge back. 

Even if it were 100 percent safe, it's still not at all pleasant to watch IMO.

Well the outcome of this particular running of this challenge will either convince them that it's too logistically difficult and they'll mothball it to avoid another multiple winner scenario...or convince them (i.e. Jeff) that it was a great moment that they should attempt to recapture many, many times.

Jeff going on and on about how long they lasted in the water challenge brought back memories of long-gone endurance challenges when they would be there for HOURS!  Weren't Ian and Tom in an 11 hour challenge many many seasons ago?  I guess Jeff doesn't want challenges that last too long any more.  I loved them as they really showed the dedication and determination of the contestants (even those who didn't make it to the end usually seemed to be trying).  Now we have people dropping out as soon as the challenge begins (or so it seems).

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Personally I’m glad both Karla and Owen won individual immunity, because:

1. You just knew there was no way in hell Peachy wasn’t going to wax rhapsodic about the “historic” nature of the outcome.
  2. If only one of the two had won individual immunity the other would’ve been hog-tied, gift-wrapped, and served up on a silver platter for the next TC personally by Jiffy with all his carrying-on.

Are TPTB still trying to pretend JP’s editorializing doesn’t have significant potential to sway TC votes (and therefore the season’s outcome) - or did they just give up giving a shit for Lent?

• LOL 4