Type keyword(s) to search

S43.E11: Hiding in Plain Sight

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

Ugh. Sami makes me kind of like him right before he gets the boot, Owen loses me when he calls Schroeder "that stupid kid playing the piano", and I am officially over Karla after her "that's unfortunate" bit at Tribal.

Still rooting for Cassidy, Jesse is fine, Cody and Gabler are largely inoffensive. Wheeeeee

Cody was blessed with a decent advantage that preceded a rare result to help spare him.  No all 5 male final (which would've matched the opposite in One World), but it would've have happened anyway with Karla left in the game.  Plus that would not have been great

• Love 1

I’ll never understand players in this game.  Carla and Cassidy have been together since pretty much day 1.  Sami, who has no alliance at this point and will do anything to stay in the game, tells Carla that Cassidy threw her name out and Carla just falls for it hook, line, and sinker.

Oh, and two people with non-hidden immunity, and then Cody’s immunity with only seven people left, is stupid.

• Like 3
  • Love 8

I was kind of sad to lose Sami, only because Jesse's plan seemed like it would create chaos, and I'm here for it (and by that I mean that Karla knew Sami was leaving and didn't vote for Cassidy).  How he and Cody are continuing on, barely on the radar, I don't get.  At this point I'm rooting for Owen, followed by Gabler and Jesse.  Cassidy and Karla rub me the wrong way, and I don't like Cody.  It's actually kind of funny that Karla isn't aware of anyone else knowing she has an idol, when we saw Jesse last week say that he knew she had one and everyone else felt she did, too.  And if she was so nervous about Cassidy blabbing her secret, maybe she should have just kept it to herself.  

I loved Owen's Peanuts analogy to his game, especially the shots of Cody being Pigpen and Karla Peppermint Patty.  

The advantage was stupid.  I swear a cameraperson could have been waving it from behind the tree and some of them still would have walked right by.  But I really hated that they wouldn't even know if Cody was immune or not until after the vote.  Doesn't seem fair with so few people left.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5

Sami played way too hard all the way through and finally got cornered with no where else to go. Too bad not so sad. 

Not a fan of how easily the obvious duo Jesse and Cody are waltzing to the end without anyone seeming to care.

• Like 1
  • Love 6
2 minutes ago, LadyChatts said:

I was kind of sad to lose Sami, only because Jesse's plan seemed like it would create chaos, and I'm here for it.  How he and Cody are continuing on, barely on the radar, I don't get. 

Just now, vb68 said:

Not a fan of how easily the obvious duo Jesse and Cody are waltzing to the end without anyone seeming to care.

I'm getting flashbacks to Wendell and Domenick in Ghost Island with these two, only without the ridiculously disproportionate camera time.

SURVIVOR: THE SAW EDITION

Yep,right down to Jeff standing around like a dimpled Jigsaw talking about inflicting pain...and it was great!

Cassidy I thought was being very foolish wrapping her legs in the bars too. If she couldn't get them free in time and she started to panice well....

Anyway with all that said the challenge ABSOLUTELY should have continued and simply morphed into who could hold on to the bars longest in freezing cold water.

Blind as a bat contestants walking around with the clue in every shot was pure gold in an over 20 year old show.

I would have picked Gabler to win and would have been handed a resounding rebuke. I thought he would be great at it!

As someone who does not like Sami...mad respect and affection for him going out guns blazing. Excellent exit. Well done kid.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 18
22 minutes ago, North of Eden said:

As someone who does not like Sami...mad respect and affection for him going out guns blazing. Excellent exit. Well done kid.

It was weird how, at TC, Sami knew he was a dead man walking.  I get that pre-TC discussions have to show multiple choices for a vote, but it was clear that he was going at TC and he knew it.  Had his SITD been successful, he totally would have been targeted going forward for his performance alone tonight.  I think he came off looking well to the jury, and I liked how he emphasized a few times he was out of the loop the last vote (good jury management to Noelle).  I can't tell if he overplayed his hand or waited too long to make any big move, but I guess it's a combination of both.  He went out on a high note.

• Love 4

I, too, loved the Peachy comment. Jeff was smiling, so I assume he got it, but maybe he was still riding a high from the challenge. He was having way too much fun commenting on everyone’s misery.

I wonder how loud Sami groaned while watching the episode play back. He was one of those who walked right past the advantage multiple times without seeing it. As did Gabler, despite all his super fine-tuned observational skilzzz. Speaking of which, when you’re down to 7 people, why would you try to mentor your competition in advantage-hunting techniques? Unless he just wanted everyone to line up behind him so he’d see everything first?

• Love 6

I thought they were going for Cass TBH, until Samu blew up his own game. It seemed from the reactions from.the others, they were surprised at him throwing out that he was playing his SITD. I kept yelling at my TV, STFU, wait to say that until after they vote. Jeff asked about anyone playing anything g before he read the votes so to broadcast that you're playing anything before the vote made no sense to me at all.

• Like 1
  • Love 5

Even though Sami had his family moment at the beginning of the episode, which was probably a hint that he was going, I was still so nervous for Cassidy tonight. So thankful she survived another vote. 

I'm seeing a Jesse/Cody or both making it to the end. I'm really surprised more people aren't targeting or looking at them to be voted out. They must be hiding their partnership well. 

That was an epic challenge, and kudos to everybody for hanging in there underwater for so long. Very impressive.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, vb68 said:

Honestly the very best thing in this episode for me and probably the whole season is Owen dropping  the "just peachy" line to Jeff. That only took 43 seasons! I love it and that put a smile on my face.

Got a cackle out of me as well. 😄

3 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

It was weird how, at TC, Sami knew he was a dead man walking.  I get that pre-TC discussions have to show multiple choices for a vote, but it was clear that he was going at TC and he knew it.  Had his SITD been successful, he totally would have been targeted going forward for his performance alone tonight.

A question crossed my mind after the (unanimous against Sami) vote was revealed: what would’ve happened if Sami’s SITD had worked? A revote, with Sami joining the burgeoning list of non-options?

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Nashville said:

A question crossed my mind after the (unanimous against Sami) vote was revealed: what would’ve happened if Sami’s SITD had worked? A revote, with Sami joining the burgeoning list of non-options?

That's right. Revote, with only Cassidy, Jesse, and Gabler eligible to get votes.

Is F6 the last time the hidden immunity idols can be used? Because with three active idols and the regular immunity idol, there's a good chance only two people will be eligible for votes next week.

• Like 2
  • Useful 2
26 minutes ago, OutOfTheQuestion said:

Is F6 the last time the hidden immunity idols can be used? Because with three active idols and the regular immunity idol, there's a good chance only two people will be eligible for votes next week.

Even worse... They're typically good until F5, so there could theoretically be the situation in which 3 people still have the HII and a fourth has the necklace, leaving the fifth player outta luck as the only viable option (not unlike the Cirie boot from Game Changers).

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 2
7 hours ago, North of Eden said:

Blind as a bat contestants walking around with the clue in every shot was pure gold in an over 20 year old show.

It was like musical chairs, extended version. One would go past close by and I'd go, NO!, and then they'd somehow miss it, and the next one I didn't want to get it would almost brush it with their nose and I'd go, NO, damn it, not you! Then another, over and over. Super-pumped Cody got it, finally. Super-pumped Owen won immunity. It's so nice to see him smiling like that and happy. I wish they'd stuck with Jesse's plan to have Karla the sole vote for Cassidy... Nice exit by Sami. Not a bad ep.

• Like 3
  • Love 7
10 hours ago, tracyscott76 said:

Ugh. Sami makes me kind of like him right before he gets the boot,

I know, right?!?!  I was never a fan of Sami's, but tonight I saw him in a different light.  He seemed smarter, more aware (well, except in the HII search), and more methodical with his plan than we've ever seen before.  And his exit interview comments about the million dollars ruining a 19 year old's life, and wanting a Tesla were hilarious!  I must admit, I was shocked that I was sad to see him go!  

Edited by cowgirlwen
  • Like 2
  • Love 3

I guess we will see why Karla voted, with everyone, for Sami. I guess they'll show us next week?

6 hours ago, gingerella said:

I thought they were going for Cass TBH, until Samu blew up his own game. It seemed from the reactions from.the others, they were surprised at him throwing out that he was playing his SITD. I kept yelling at my TV, STFU, wait to say that until after they vote. Jeff asked about anyone playing anything g before he read the votes so to broadcast that you're playing anything before the vote made no sense to me at all.

Except that if he got that shot then Cassidy, Gaebler and Jesse would be the revote so maybe some would be freaked out and vote another way. Like maybe for Cassidy. Surprised we didn't get the walking around whispering in each other's ears bit of recent seasons.

Edited by Lamima
  • Like 1

I am also glad Cassidy survived. Yeah, she's not really a memorable player, but I'm yawning at the thought of an all male F5, especially from this group. But also, Cassidy surviving another vote after being a big target again is fun to watch. How long can she survive until she's finally gone? And I like the idea of a Cassidy vs Karla thing. And Cassidy going would have been terrible for Karla. I am so disappointed that Karla's game has plummeted. She was in SUCH a great position pre-merge, but she keeps making silly mistakes since merging. She believed Sami so readily about Cassidy, not considering that he could be lying and protecting someone else. 

I think Cassidy staying over Sami opens the next episode for more fun. If Sami had stayed, he would have surely been dragged to the end and used to get out Karla. 

I did laugh at EVERYONE walking by the advantage several times, especially with many of them so close to it. Cody's realization when he saw it was priceless, though he was the last person who needed this advantage; even if he hadn't gotten the advantage, him and Jesse weren't targets. Maybe that's credit to their games, or they're playing with subpar players. I think Jesse's played a strong game and is the best of the season. But Cody's game has just been average, at least from what I've seen. Maybe his social game is impeccable, who knows. But the advantage, and how it played out, ensured he was safe, regardless if he chose the correct champion or not.

The Last Gasp, I'm surprised they brought it back. It's such a dangerous challenge, so I'm surprised the show risked it. But seeing Owen AND Karla winning was great.

I'll put Cody back on the list of people who could possibly still win, seeing as he keeps surviving without a target on his back, so he's doing something right. I think Owen and Karla are not winning, for sure. Karla's edit has been terrible lately, and Owen has done nothing that would warrant him winning. Cassidy is still on my list of potential winners, but I'm not as confident anymore. Gabler is still on my list, as well. His edit lately has been very good. He's involved, but not overly so. Jesse is still a top favourite to win. If Cody never asks for his idol back, Jesse could use both to get him to 4 now, which means he'd only need to beat someone at firemaking, at worst. But Jesse needs to turn on Cody before that. He needs to get Cody out before 4, because he doesn't want Cody in the end with him. 

• Like 2
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, DrBriCa said:

Even worse... They're typically good until F5, so there could theoretically be the situation in which 3 people still have the HII and a fourth has the necklace, leaving the fifth player outta luck as the only viable option (not unlike the Cirie boot from Game Changers).

I would hate to see this.  I know hidden idols aren't going anywhere but they should at least make them good for only the next three tribals or something like that.

I would also love to see a hidden immunity idol that comes with a note "Congratulations, you have found a hidden immunity idol.  blah, blah, blah.  However, you cannot play this idol on yourself, you must play it on someone else and you must play it at the next TC."

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 3
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, cowgirlwen said:

And his exit interview comments about the million dollars ruining a 19 year old's life, and wanting a Tesla were hilarious! 

I cracked up about how it probably would've been a bad thing to win because he and his Mom would've clashed over him getting a Tesla.  

That challenge left me so claustrophobic.  I would've been out on the first swell.

Team Owen all the way!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I was not a fan of Sami from the start, I thought he was aggressive and arrogant and he seemed to think he was some kind of mastermind that was trying to make moves just to make moves.  Didn't care for his "I'm 19" schtick and above all, didn't like how he would immediately spill secrets just to cause dissension.  He was never seemingly loyal to anybody.  Not sure how you can win the game like that.  His declaration in the previous episode that he was a free agent was odd, that basically signals to everyone that you have no game and are just still there because nobody thought you were important enough to get rid of.  How was he going to win the game if he got to the end as a floater?  Has a floater ever won this game?

I think maybe he thought his "bold move" of announcing that he was playing the SITD was going to save him?  Like in the past when Tony Vlachos pulls out an idol and wears it.  People don't want to waste a vote in case he plays it, and then he doesn't play it and is safe anyways.  But the problem with SITD is that the odds are too low.  Odds should be 1 in 4 or maybe even 1 in 3.  The fact that his announcement had zero effect on whether people were going to vote for him says how ineffective the SITD is.  It didn't influence gameplay at all.

However, I am kind of surprised that every single person had voted for Sami.  What if he had been successful?  Then there is a revote and there are only three people to choose from - Cassidy, Jesse and Gabler.  I am kind of surprised that one of those three didn't throw a vote onto someone else just in case, to make sure that even if Sami was successful, they wouldn't be the one going home.  Jesse could have voted for Cassidy as a backup.  The fact that he didn't shows to me that maybe he isn't as astute as he makes himself out to be.

I'm struggling to understand how Owen was even cast for this show in the first place.  There doesn't seem to be anything appealing at all about him that would have made me say "we have to get this guy on the show".  I'm so over his sad sack "nobody likes me" "nobody talks to me" complaints.

I don't fully understand Jesse's plan to get Karla to vote for Cassidy so then Cassidy would be all mad and turn on Karla.  Don't understand why Karla wouldn't immediately just go to Cassidy and say "Jesse is trying to drive a wedge in between us by saying you want to vote me out".  The same thing happened with Mike last season, instead of talking to the person, he just makes assumptions.  Jesse seems to be a smart player so I'm not sure why he wouldn't have thought about "what happens if the two of them actually talk to each other" and then they would decide to target Jesse.  We have seen so many times on this show where the person who tries to instigate chaos ends up getting voted out.

12 hours ago, North of Eden said:

Anyway with all that said the challenge ABSOLUTELY should have continued and simply morphed into who could hold on to the bars longest in freezing cold water.

I thought with only 7 left and the advantage, that the challenge should have continued.  That way only maximum of 2 (instead of 3) out of 7 are immune.  They should have just continued the challenge.  There's certain things they could have done.  Hang on with only one hand, the first to let go loses.  Then hang on with only a foot.  Then they could have just said, your head has to be completely submerged, whoever holds breath longest wins.

Cody's advantage was pretty much almost a guaranteed immunity.  People wouldn't want to write his name down and take the chance that he actually got immunity.  We didn't see if anyone asked him whose name he picked, but the way I see it, no matter what he answered, he could have created the appearance that he had immunity.  He could have said Cassidy and then someone wonders if he's trying to fake them out into voting for him so they waste a vote, so then they don't vote for him.  He could have said Owen and then someone doesn't vote for him in case he actually did pick Owen.

• Love 2

I'm pretty sure medical stepped in and ended that challenge due to the chance of hypothermia. They tried to play it off as "You outlasted the tide!" but there was no real reason not to let it continue as a simple endurance challenge, unless production stepped in for some reason. Also, that being the case, I don't believe they made them all swim back to shore either. They got their shot of (some of) them diving into the water then a boat came and took them back. 

I'm quickly losing interest in who wins. Jesse and Cody are right to say they have been "steering the bus since the merge" but I'm at a loss to explain why everyone else just stands aside and lets them. They should be the two most obvious targets their names never seem to come up, as far as the editing shows us. I'm fairly certain they will both be in the final three, and then Jesse will turn on the waterworks over his troubled youth and everyone will cry and vote for him to win. The end.

Also? I'm so sick of all these idols and advantages. There are already, what, three or four of them at play and the show throws in yet another when they're down to seven players? One that disproportionally protects whoever finds it? It would have been fine to just let someone bet on a winner for immunity. But to actually tell everyone else who won but not if they guessed right until after the vote immediately gave that person virtual immunity. 

They're down to six. Shouldn't next week be the three hour finale? It usually is when we're down to six.

• Love 6

Probst ruined this show with all the advantages and idols.  If you noticed compared to earlier seasons there are no true lasting alliances, it shifts every week depending on what they are trying to flush out of play.  It's very much an individual game now.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
9 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

They're down to six. Shouldn't next week be the three hour finale? It usually is when we're down to six.

It's at five that they do the finale, isn't it? 

10 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I'm quickly losing interest in who wins. Jesse and Cody are right to say they have been "steering the bus since the merge" but I'm at a loss to explain why everyone else just stands aside and lets them. They should be the two most obvious targets their names never seem to come up, as far as the editing shows us. I'm fairly certain they will both be in the final three, and then Jesse will turn on the waterworks over his troubled youth and everyone will cry and vote for him to win. The end.

I think Cody or Jesse go before F3, for sure. One of them will make F3, but I don't see both of them there. I'd wager that Cody is gone before F3. 

• Sad 1

I do think this group of 6 is fairly palatable.  The only ones I wouldn't want to see Owen (see above, I'm tired of his sad sack schtick and he truly has done absolutely nothing in the game to warrant a win) and Gabler (has also done nothing but seems to think he is a great player).  I don't actively dislike them like I've disliked others in the past, I just don't think they are deserving.

14 minutes ago, jabRI said:

Probst ruined this show with all the advantages and idols.  If you noticed compared to earlier seasons there are no true lasting alliances, it shifts every week depending on what they are trying to flush out of play.  It's very much an individual game now.

Agreed.  When he was blathering on in his usual fashion during the challenge, I think he said something like "this is from old school Survivor back when we actually inflicted pain".  Why can't they go back to Old School Survivor with just maybe one or two hidden immunity idols?  I'm so tired of the Prisoner's Dilemma and the secret advantages.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 3

Kudos to Karla for co winning that water challenge.  I don't like her personality.  She seems very put out when things don't go as she requested.   And I didn't like the way she questioned Sami about his vote.  I remember way back when she made a snotty comment about Ryan going into the sea to fish when she was strategizing on  the beach.  

I've liked Owen and Sami from the start, was sad to see Sami go.   Jesse and Cody are fine; Cody in particular is always in good spirits and its fun to watch. Cassidy is a cipher to me.  Gabler has been a cipher recently too, but he is on top of the game.  

I was a regular watcher for the first 12 or so years, then fell off, so I am frequently ignorant of all the advantages, tokens etc, now in the game.  I don't like them.    Having three people exempt from vote in final seven doesn't make sense to me, although I agree Survivor ended the challenge because of hypothermia not because they had outlasted the tide.  

It is odd that at this point in the game that I say oh any of the above mentioned will be fine as a winner.  

• Like 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

I am also glad Cassidy survived. Yeah, she's not really a memorable player, but I'm yawning at the thought of an all male F5, especially from this group. But also, Cassidy surviving another vote after being a big target again is fun to watch. How long can she survive until she's finally gone? And I like the idea of a Cassidy vs Karla thing. And Cassidy going would have been terrible for Karla. I am so disappointed that Karla's game has plummeted. She was in SUCH a great position pre-merge, but she keeps making silly mistakes since merging. She believed Sami so readily about Cassidy, not considering that he could be lying and protecting someone else. 

I'll put Cody back on the list of people who could possibly still win, seeing as he keeps surviving without a target on his back, so he's doing something right. I think Owen and Karla are not winning, for sure. Karla's edit has been terrible lately, and Owen has done nothing that would warrant him winning. Cassidy is still on my list of potential winners, but I'm not as confident anymore. Gabler is still on my list, as well. His edit lately has been very good. He's involved, but not overly so. Jesse is still a top favourite to win. If Cody never asks for his idol back, Jesse could use both to get him to 4 now, which means he'd only need to beat someone at firemaking, at worst. But Jesse needs to turn on Cody before that. He needs to get Cody out before 4, because he doesn't want Cody in the end with him. 

Karla's probably taken the biggest fall for me post merge.  She seemed to be in such a great spot, although I was intrigued by her edit.  I felt like something was being held back and waiting to burst.  I didn't know if she was really playing that great of a game or was being set up for a fall.  Now I've got my answer.  She's playing kind of a messy game.  Told Cassidy about her idol, and now is worried Cassidy might blab to everyone she has it.  Except other people knows she has it, so even if Cassidy didn't tell she might get blamed for it.  And yeah, I was surprised how quick Karla seemed to believe Sami.  I also think Karla doesn't do well when she's not in control.  Right now I feel like her, Cassidy, and Owen have the least likely chance of winning.  Owen has one thing going for him if he makes the final 3, and that's the argument that he was constantly on the bottom and having to fight to stay in it.  I don't think it'll be enough, however.

Gabler and Cody I'm in the middle on.  I think they have a chance.  Jesse honestly seems to be playing the best game so far.  I do feel like something is coming to a head with him and Cody.  They both had commented that they have been running things since the merge, so they might start worrying if they go to the end together the other person will get credit for the moves.  Gabler said last week they needed to be split up, and this week there seemed to be a disagreement between them over who to vote out.  I'd be surprised if both of them make the final 3, but I can see one of them doing it.  I feel like we are left with a final 6 that's pairs: Cody/Jesse, Karla/Cassidy, Gabler/Owen.  I can see where one person from each of those pairs is in the finals.  We also still have 3 idols left in the game, so the next couple boots might be interesting because of that (final 5 is the last time to use them, right?) 

• Love 4
13 hours ago, mertensia said:

That poor cameraman. Having to keep a straight face during that search for the idol. 

I'm pretty sure it was a fixed camera, but the result was a hilarious montage of bad seeking.

Also a fan of Owen's "just peachy" comment to Probst.

45 minutes ago, LadyChatts said:

Gabler and Cody I'm in the middle on.  I think they have a chance.  Jesse honestly seems to be playing the best game so far.  I do feel like something is coming to a head with him and Cody.  They both had commented that they have been running things since the merge, so they might start worrying if they go to the end together the other person will get credit for the moves.  Gabler said last week they needed to be split up, and this week there seemed to be a disagreement between them over who to vote out.  I'd be surprised if both of them make the final 3, but I can see one of them doing it.  I feel like we are left with a final 6 that's pairs: Cody/Jesse, Karla/Cassidy, Gabler/Owen.  I can see where one person from each of those pairs is in the finals.  We also still have 3 idols left in the game, so the next couple boots might be interesting because of that (final 5 is the last time to use them, right?) 

Cody and Jesse should have a good chance to both make Final 4.  Since Final 5 is the last time that idols can be used, and they have two idols between the two of them, they can use one to save someone in danger next round.  Or if they don't need to use it, both use at Final 5.  I'm still kind of ticked that Jesse seems to consider Cody's idol his own.  Maybe they think it was given so Cody can't take it back?

If Cody goes out because Jesse refused to use his own (Cody's) idol on him, I will be extremely pissed.

It's always interesting to me how jurors would view such a move.  If Cody went out because of some kind of duplicity from Jesse, I think Cody would still vote for Jesse in the end.  Cody is a nice guy with a laidback attitude and won't hold a grudge.  But how would the other jurors view it?  Some would say that 1) Jesse is a snake to cut loose his #1 ally from the start in such a fashion, I can't reward that kind of deceit, while others would say 2) that's how you play the game, Jesse made a great move to secure his spot in the finals.

Knowing that next week is final 6 and that they are viewed as a threat, I would hope that Jesse gives an idol back to Cody so there isn't a chance of him going home with both in his pocket.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, KeithJ said:

I would also love to see a hidden immunity idol that comes with a note "Congratulations, you have found a hidden immunity idol.  blah, blah, blah.  However, you cannot play this idol on yourself, you must play it on someone else and you must play it at the next TC."

I thought last night's advantage should have been structured so that if Cody did choose the correct winner and got immunity, then Owen would lose his immunity in exchange. Tit for Tat advantage. That probably would have ended the challenge sooner because people wouldn't want to hold out that long on the pretense that they would lose the immunity that they put a lot of effort in to winning.

• Mind Blown 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, blackwing said:

Why can't they go back to Old School Survivor with just maybe one or two hidden immunity idols? 

. . . and when the challenges actually had something to do with surviving like signaling a rescue plane or building a raft.

• Applause 3

Caught the episode today. Choose Your Champion didn't work for me. For one thing: is Cody gambling on who would win if he risks nothing? Two: there were two winners. That's on Production for not thinking the players would outlast the rising tides . . . but that meant that Cody had a 1-in-3 chance of winning immunity via CYC. I know he entered with 1-in-6, but it doesn't feel right. Losing should have meant losing his vote. Owen and Karla winning would've had immunity and the lost vote negate each other.

At least some advantage was used in Tribal. It's been the game equivalent of an arms race, with each player stockpiling their weapons. Sami wound up playing Shot In The Dark (another dubious recent addition), and it didn't work out for him. He's a dumbass . . . but he's a likable dumbass, so we'll be seeing him again soon. He won't be 19 then!

16 hours ago, vb68 said:

Honestly the very best thing in this episode for me and probably the whole season is Owen dropping  the "just peachy" line to Jeff. That only took 43 seasons! I love it and that put a smile on my face.

Hey, me too! Was that a running gag just in the MBTV./TWOP community? Or did it extend beyond that?

As much as reality show overlap can be annoying . . . if Survivor were to bring in the "failure cymbals" from The Amazing Race specifically when players pass by an idol or clue, that wouldn't be so bad. I know there wasn't a camera set up three feet from the tree, aimed at the clue . . . but even knowing that, I still had a good laugh at everyone missing the clue.

Anyone else think of the challenge as the Janu Tornell Memorial Breakdown Challenge? Back in S10, they played that (or something close to it), with the first person out banished to an island of exile for a spell. Janu wasn't in good condition to begin with, she crumbled even more by the time she got to Tribal, and I feel Probst nudged her into quitting in order to stay Stephenie, who was the last person not from the original Koror tribe.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, eel21788 said:

That crossed the line into extremely cruel and sadistic. 

Obviously a lot of time is edited out of the challenge.  I'm curious if past contestants have commented as to whether Jeffy really is talking nonstop throughout this kind of endurance challenge, or is this something he just does for TV when he is told to speak?  I can't imagine him speaking for the entire time.  I hate how he always has to be talking.  Especially on a challenge like this... we don't need a play by play, we can see when someone gives up.  We also don't need for him to sadistically keep commenting on how someone looks like they are about to drown.

I'd love to force Jeff to be slathered in honey and staked down on top of a colony of fire ants.  And then have some contestants provide the running commentary.  See how he enjoys it.   "The ants are starting to emerge from their home.  When will they start crawling all over you Jeffy?  You're going to start to feel them little by little.  Then they might sting you.  The anticipation of the sting might be worse than the sting itself.  Then they might start getting into your orifices.  Which one will they go for first?  The ears, or the butthole?  Oh, looks like you just got stung.  How much of this can you take?  You gotta dig deep and just block out the pain.  This is what a million dollars is made of.  How much do you really want it?"

• LOL 7
  • Love 2
11 minutes ago, tvfanatic13 said:

We've been calling Jeff "Peachy" for so long, I forgot how it started. Can someone please remind me.

This season has been a snooze. Sorry, not sorry.

It goes back through several iterations of this forum, to Mighty Big TV. I believe it was the very first recapper (Joanna?) who during the first season noted Jeff's gleeful delivery of bad news (the failure of Jenna's family to send a tape, for example) and started calling him "Just Peachy". As in, bad news for the players meant everything was Just Peachy for him (and it was the same initials as Jeff Probst, of course). I was only a lurker back then, so if there was more to it, someone can correct me!

Edited by tracyscott76
Adding detail about the initials
11 hours ago, OutOfTheQuestion said:

Someone’s about to get Ciried! (This is why I hate all these idols floating around, aside from the fact that I can never remember who has what advantage.) (I’m still mad on Cirie’s behalf.)

8 hours ago, cowgirlwen said:

I know, right?!?!  I was never a fan of Sami's, but tonight I saw him in a different light.  He seemed smarter, more aware (well, except in the HII search), and more methodical with his plan than we've ever seen before.  And his exit interview comments about the million dollars ruining a 19 year old's life, and wanting a Tesla were hilarious!  I must admit, I was shocked that I was sad to see him go!  

That comment totally endeared Sami to me. You gotta love a teenager with self-awareness and a self-deprecating sense of humor. 

• Like 2
  • Love 7

I don’t buy the Owen and Karla broke the challenge narrative the show was trying to spin. I think it was just getting too close to dark, which would have fucked up the timing of the next tribal council.

• Like 2
  • Love 5

I watch Survivor with a group of friends, a friend and I started about the third season or so, and now it includes another friend and our spouses, and occasionally my friend's adult children.  We make it a little party, with snacks and a little game.

We were all gasping last night.  First at the search through the jungle with everyone walking past the advantage sitting right out there at eye level.  We were dying when Cody starts leaning against that very tree, and nearly leans his head on the wrapper.  Half of us thought he saw it, and was leaning there in a way to "claim his territory" during the little discussion and grab it once the person he was talking to wandered on.  The other half thought it was just random, and we were holding our breath.  Then he made that little sideways glance, and he had that tiny jerk of surprise, then the body language of his continued lean kind of stiffened up, so....he really did just randomly lean on that tree.

Then we gasped along with the Survivors during that challenge.  That one gives me the willies.  Yes, I know there are lots of safety folks just out of camera range, but it wigs me out big time.  Obviously Gabler too, he looked terrified just setting up for the challenge, let alone going through it.  His going out first was not a surprise,  Jesse looked likewise terrified, but he hung in there way longer than I thought he might.  It was Cassidy threading her legs and arms through the bars that freaked me out the most.  What if she got into trouble and couldn't untangle herself?  And/or the rescue swimmers couldn't untangle her?  Kudos to Karla and Owen, what was the final time?  Nearly three hours?

I'd be good with a Jesse, Cody, and Cassidy final three.  I wouldn't be too fussed if Owen snuck in there, or Karla or Gabler.  But I have to root for Jesse--one of my group's games is that we pick someone within the first half hour of the episode as the winner for the season with lottery tickets as the big payout in the end.  I picked Jesse from his CBS bio, I thought the combination of a former gang member and college professor would have an interesting and perhaps ruthless game.  So far, so good.....

• Like 1
  • Love 6

Strange that Gabler is the one whose quote became the episode's title ("Hiding in plain sight")and also made a point of telling Sami (or was it Owen?) he had a plan to get them to the final three. And then . . . nothing. We heard nothing of this plan and Gabler seemingly had nothing to do with the vote. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
8 hours ago, blackwing said:

I was not a fan of Sami from the start, I thought he was aggressive and arrogant and he seemed to think he was some kind of mastermind that was trying to make moves just to make moves.  Didn't care for his "I'm 19" schtick and above all, didn't like how he would immediately spill secrets just to cause dissension.  He was never seemingly loyal to anybody.  Not sure how you can win the game like that.  His declaration in the previous episode that he was a free agent was odd, that basically signals to everyone that you have no game and are just still there because nobody thought you were important enough to get rid of.  How was he going to win the game if he got to the end as a floater?  Has a floater ever won this game?

I think maybe he thought his "bold move" of announcing that he was playing the SITD was going to save him?  Like in the past when Tony Vlachos pulls out an idol and wears it.  People don't want to waste a vote in case he plays it, and then he doesn't play it and is safe anyways.  But the problem with SITD is that the odds are too low.  Odds should be 1 in 4 or maybe even 1 in 3.  The fact that his announcement had zero effect on whether people were going to vote for him says how ineffective the SITD is.  It didn't influence gameplay at all.

However, I am kind of surprised that every single person had voted for Sami.  What if he had been successful?  Then there is a revote and there are only three people to choose from - Cassidy, Jesse and Gabler.  I am kind of surprised that one of those three didn't throw a vote onto someone else just in case, to make sure that even if Sami was successful, they wouldn't be the one going home.  Jesse could have voted for Cassidy as a backup.  The fact that he didn't shows to me that maybe he isn't as astute as he makes himself out to be.

I'm struggling to understand how Owen was even cast for this show in the first place.  There doesn't seem to be anything appealing at all about him that would have made me say "we have to get this guy on the show".  I'm so over his sad sack "nobody likes me" "nobody talks to me" complaints.

I don't fully understand Jesse's plan to get Karla to vote for Cassidy so then Cassidy would be all mad and turn on Karla.  Don't understand why Karla wouldn't immediately just go to Cassidy and say "Jesse is trying to drive a wedge in between us by saying you want to vote me out".  The same thing happened with Mike last season, instead of talking to the person, he just makes assumptions.  Jesse seems to be a smart player so I'm not sure why he wouldn't have thought about "what happens if the two of them actually talk to each other" and then they would decide to target Jesse.  We have seen so many times on this show where the person who tries to instigate chaos ends up getting voted out.

I thought with only 7 left and the advantage, that the challenge should have continued.  That way only maximum of 2 (instead of 3) out of 7 are immune.  They should have just continued the challenge.  There's certain things they could have done.  Hang on with only one hand, the first to let go loses.  Then hang on with only a foot.  Then they could have just said, your head has to be completely submerged, whoever holds breath longest wins.

Cody's advantage was pretty much almost a guaranteed immunity.  People wouldn't want to write his name down and take the chance that he actually got immunity.  We didn't see if anyone asked him whose name he picked, but the way I see it, no matter what he answered, he could have created the appearance that he had immunity.  He could have said Cassidy and then someone wonders if he's trying to fake them out into voting for him so they waste a vote, so then they don't vote for him.  He could have said Owen and then someone doesn't vote for him in case he actually did pick Owen.

So you can wear the idol and not use? I vaguely remember this, was it spy shack tony?

Edited by nlkm9
Omit
7 hours ago, weaver said:

Kudos to Karla for co winning that water challenge.  I don't like her personality.  She seems very put out when things don't go as she requested.   And I didn't like the way she questioned Sami about his vote.  I remember way back when she made a snotty comment about Ryan going into the sea to fish when she was strategizing on  the beach.  

I've liked Owen and Sami from the start, was sad to see Sami go.   Jesse and Cody are fine; Cody in particular is always in good spirits and its fun to watch. Cassidy is a cipher to me.  Gabler has been a cipher recently too, but he is on top of the game.  

I was a regular watcher for the first 12 or so years, then fell off, so I am frequently ignorant of all the advantages, tokens etc, now in the game.  I don't like them.    Having three people exempt from vote in final seven doesn't make sense to me, although I agree Survivor ended the challenge because of hypothermia not because they had outlasted the tide.  

It is odd that at this point in the game that I say oh any of the above mentioned will be fine as a winner.  

I have liked karla until she was questioning sami like that. But she is really killing it, her performance in that challenge was amazing . And the way she accepted samis lie. Why arent they doing ponderosa anymore ?