Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E08: Call Me Fancy Puffenstuff

• Start Topic

This show is so weird sometimes.  

For instance, I really enjoyed most of this episode.  In fact, even with its weird choices, I probably still think this is one of my favorites of the series.  The "bad" Thanksgiving mystery party had a lot of fun jokes.  

But then, in the end, they threw in a "Max has a drinking problem" twist. 

At least Leslie's last episode ended sweetly. 

• Like 3
  • Love 7

Those chairs around Kat's table were gorgeous.

If Max got the text on Friday, who has a business meeting on a Saturday? And yeah, his drinking problem came out of left field.

I wonder how they're going to explain Phil's absence.

Edited by NeenerNeener
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, NeenerNeener said:

Maybe Phil and his boyfriend will travel. But if this show continues, it will be odd to keep him off screen forever. Leslie deserves a heartfelt ending for his character. That's my opinion anyway.

I thought Max was suppose be this happy-go-lucky charmed character. Throwing in a drinking problem is "jump the shark" category, but I guess his character really has nothing to do.

So Kat and Max are dating now? I missed the last few episodes because I keep forgetting to watch. I wish they'll just stay besties and just have crazy friendship adventures. Not every relationship needs to couple up.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, Snow Apple said:

So Kat and Max are dating now? I missed the last few episodes

Kat wanted a baby, had a hard time deciding on a sperm donor, Max volunteered, then they decided to date. I think the baby thing is on hold until the writers decide they need it for ratings.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I think I’m out, guys. The constant piling on Kat is somewhat triggering to me. Do any of them even like her? Really? They are supposed to be friends but it seems like the only one that gets “dissed” is Kat. Kat is who she is and she seems happy with herself. If you don’t like dinner Murder mysteries and puns, maybe you should find a new friend. Obviously none of their interests or ideas of fun intersect. Even Max got in on the putting down Kat this time. I suppose we could hand wave it that it’s his sudden drinking problem, but he acted like he’s always hated going to parties she’s thrown and in the past they were shown to have the same punny cheesy sense of humor. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 3
  • Love 5
20 minutes ago, HelloooKitty said:

I think I’m out, guys.

I love Mayim, and I liked the show last season, but the show now is pretty much unwatchable. I cut out in the middle of the episode and removed it from my DVR schedule.

• Love 4

I found it hard to believe Kat would have no appetizers and expect people to sit around for hours without eating. And as much as I love Leslie, I’m not buying the romance with Jalen. I could buy one with real life Leslie but Phil acts kind of childish and unsophisticated. I also wish Kat had friends who like her and ‘get’ her-she certainly doesn’t do anything that would make people so rude to her.

• Like 2
  • Love 7

A 20s murder mystery Thanksgiving sounds like a lot of fun, but for the love of god, let people eat and drink! That's all people did in the 20s! I felt bad for Kat, she worked hard on that party and everyone couldn't even pretend to appreciate her, but come on, at least get a cheese plate! 

At least Leslie's last episode ended on a sweet note. I cant decide if I want them to just write Phil out, say he's traveling with his new boyfriend, or if I want a whole tribute. Its just sad. 

This episode was probably one of the better episodes, despite the lack of cats, but it was really hurt by Max's out of nowhere drinking problem. Has that ever been a thing before? He's falling into a dark spiral because of one day of day drinking? 

• Love 6

Good night, Leslie. 😢 And I'm out. This show has gone so far off the rails I can't watch anymore. I was really only watching for Leslie and was ready to quit anyway, just before he passed. Stayed on for his final episodes. A sweet finale for him.

• Like 2
  • Love 5

I guess I could say that Phil and Jalen had more chemistry in this episode than Kat and Max ever did together, including this outing's chaste kiss to remind us K & M are a thing now.

I think the piling on to Kat stems from Mother Sheila's constant snarking and misery toward her daughter.

The Roaring Twenties theme was fun and Mayim delivered her lines very well.

Still so sad that Leslie Jordan is gone and that's the last of new anything we'll see from him.  Gone too soon.  He's resting in peace and making the angels 😇 laugh.

Giving Max this sudden onset drinking problem might interfere with the Kat & Max baby making storyline, which is quite alright with me.  Maybe the show runners will forget?

Edited by CrystalBlue
autocorrect interference
  • Love 6

That was straight out of an 80s/90s ‘Very Special Episode’ — maybe Mayim wanted to apply all her ‘Blossom’ experience.

Also, it’s a bit disconcerting and tonally whiplash-y to make a gag out of Sheila keeping an airplane bottle of vodka on hand to garnish her Green Bean Smoothie and yet go on to worry about Max’s Sudden Onset Drinking Problem.

Outside of the starvation, a Murder Mystery Thanksgiving Party does actually sound awesome and not lame. I thought this episode was a lot of fun, overall…until it wasn’t.  

• Like 2
  • Love 3

I thought this one was so cute. The recurring jokes with the button were the highlight for me after them all on the ground with the turkey. Sad to hear this was Jordan's final episode, I thought I'd read back when his death happened that they'd filmed through episode 9 and assumed he'd be in episode 9, too. :(

I agree with those saying the insults towards Kat are becoming a little too harsh to be believable. I'm so ready for Sheila in particular to be put in her place by somebody (Max?), she's been a complete twat to Kat every episode this season. I've generally found the show this season and last season more entertaining than a lot of posters, but even I admit the characters have been a bit more...mean and raunchy this season???

• Love 6
On 12/2/2022 at 6:04 AM, NeenerNeener said:

Those chairs around Kat's table were gorgeous.

If Max got the text on Friday, who has a business meeting on a Saturday? And yeah, his drinking problem came out of left field.

Yeah I want to know what party store she got all those gorgeous art deco reproductions! And furniture? I call bull.. I don’t believe they sell this type of thing in a party store do they? Because, if they do,  I’m running down to the next one I can find! 

• Love 2

I thought the '20s party was very reminiscent of "Big Bang Theory".  Remember when Amy gave a Christmas party with a Victorian theme?  And there were other theme/costume parties and games on that show too.

Despite what Mayim says in her video posted above, I didn't find the relationship between Phil and Jalen believable.  I've seen a lot of "opposites attracting" but that particular match was too over the line of believability for me.  And I think that's why it felt forced and inauthentic.  I appreciate that they wanted to show that Phil was worth is dream man but there's a limit to what is realistic.  The way the two actors were playing it felt like Phil's fantasy man was coming down to earth to rescue him from a lonely life.  It felt like a dream and I kept waiting for the characters to wake up.  I can't describe it any other way.

Mayim seems to love how quirky and kooky the show and its characters are.  That would be great if it somehow all worked, which it doesn't.  There's too much going on and none of it adding up very well together.  Plus it's a mish-mash and changing too much from week to week.  And yes, her mother's constant insults are not funny at all.  Somehow I could forgive Leonard's mother on BBT but I can't forgive Kat's mother.  That's the difference between a "meh" show and a great one. 

I know people will say I'm reading into things but it really felt to me like Leslie was not at his usual level of perkiness in this episode.  Like maybe he was already not feeling well.  There was a tragic dimension to watching this episode and it was more than just knowing it was his last.

• Love 3
16 hours ago, PinkRibbons said:

Mayim on this being Leslie's last episode:

https://fb.watch/haNQmPuhOO/

😿🙏

Nice little video.  I like how Mayim keeps it real and doesn't glam up for her tribute to Leslie and his last episode.

I'm glad he was able to be happy and fulfilled with his first onscreen kiss and that it meant so much to him.

Leslie Jordan will truly be missed by his fans, friends and family.  He was a dear.

• Sad 1
  • Love 1

I have a feeling Max is going to end up in AA. I don’t think we’ve seen the last of his drinking problem. Unfortunate that this had to happen in Leslie’s last episode but they had already filmed it. Swoozie is insufferable. The wisecracks are going way too far. This was a horrible episode other than Leslie’s happy ending.

• Love 1

I loved Kat's red dress and decorations. I think that game would be fun especially if you had appetizers and drinks and not necessary alcoholic drinks just something to hold you over while the turkey cooks. Which should have already been in the oven, you could show the murder victim cooking in the oven :-)   

I wish Kat's mom would take a never ending cruise, I hate that lady. And Max doesn't do anything for me either, Max and Kat should've just stayed friends without benefits.

I will miss Leslie, if I giggled at all it's because of something Phil said.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

I'd be happier if Max took a never-ending cruise (great idea for a chronic drinker with no music career) and Sheila stayed but toned down the catty remarks.  They need to give her something more to do than interact negatively with Kat all the time.  I tend to give Sheila more leeway because I've been a Swoosie Kurtz fan since "Sisters" TV show.

All the "Blossom" and TBBT references and call backs are lost on me.

I thought the nasty guy with the sandwich shop was coming back.  Where is he?  He and Kat had more chemistry for the baby making plot than Max.  They need to get a Phil replacement for the cafe.  Hint hint.

I'll kind of miss the drag queen storyline.  It was such fun!

• Love 1

This is super late because I'm just catching up on recorded episodes but I'm sad to say I absolutely hated this one. I've been on board with this show from the beginning even if it is pretty uneven but I couldn't stand how everyone was just so nonstop mean to Kat the whole time and she just grinned through it all like the outcast in high school who is just happy to have the attention of the cool kids even if they are mean to her. Even her "boyfriend" was in on it?? I won't even get started on the random sudden drinking problem. It was just bad bad bad, even with the sweet if kind of unbelievable Phil subplot, and I say that with the utmost love and respect for the late great Leslie. 

• Like 3