Type keyword(s) to search

Fandom and Viewer Issues: "Fan" Is Short for "Fanatic"

Emma
  • Start Topic

Yvette Nicole Brown is also a fan and tried to live tweet once but gave up because of the negativity thrown at her. And Colin is live tweeting the West Coast airing tonight. So glad he just sends "Boom" to people and ignores the haters who are trying to rile him up.

• Love 3

Thanks.  And  . . .

Shatner made some very rude comments about Robin Hood . . . I think Shatner is kind of a perv and don't agree with a lot of his Once opinions, but he's entitled to them.

Okay, maybe not so nice.  Darn.

I know Shatner called Hook Emma's pet, which pissed some CS fans off because they thought it was a slight towards Colin, who is a big Shatner fan. Some fans just need thicker skin I think.

• Love 4

Michael Coleman is that dwarf the SQ fandom hates, right? I just saw that Lana, Colin and Sean went to do a reading at his school. Did they absolutely explode over that?

Edited by Serena

Here and this was the follow-up (with a ridiculous amount of hyperbole). I don't usually approve of hijacking someone's post like that (nor do I usually do it myself) but seriously, that was the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen and I'm so very tired of it.

I just want to have fun with the actors and I want the actors to have fun with us, and the fact that *every* single little thing the actors do becomes something for fans to hurl abuse at is disgusting. And the fact that the follow-up was just all, "Screw y'all, you're the problem, not me, whatevs," I just can't.

Edited by Dani-Ellie
  • Love 1

WTF is right. I do not understand that mindset at all. I don't get why anyone would think rallying others to harass a celebrity online for using a word that has no real meaning whatsoever is okay. But I have to share a fandom with these people and well, they're called bad apples for a reason. They make us all look bad and they spoil everything. Most of the time I can ignore it but lately it's just been making me angry. I just need to get to the point where I pity them, because clearly their lives are so miserable that they think of nothing but how to spread that misery on to others.

• Love 1

Right behind you, Dani-Elle! What makes these people feel so entitled? You know, if you wouldn't go up to someone on the street and say these things, then you shouldn't say it to them on Twitter or email or over the phone either. It's just plain good manners which doesn't exist much online, sadly. The actors don't decide what happens on the show, so don't try to passive-aggressively punish them if you don't like it. For that matter, if it's taken up such a significant place in your life that you're feeling the need to lash out at people over it, then maybe you need to take a break.

• Love 2

I generally think it was better for all when it wasn't so easy to interact directly with cast and writers (or to feel like you're interacting... I'm sure some of the tweets are PR people). OTOH, I cheered myself up from a major funk last week by watching videos of Lana Parilla talking about the Evil Regals, so there are upsides. :)

It's not like Colin is going to give a rat's ass anyway, which is a good thing. I really liked his live tweeting on Sunday. He made some comments about the episode, interacted with cast members, left the tweets to needy fans to a minimum. Who cares if he gives an occasional boom or whatever. When you're nitpicking an actor over his use pof one word, you're being ridiculous.

• Love 2

What's with the objects to #boom thing? It's an actor supporting the thing that 1) a lot of people like, 2) is the main reason he's currently employed but something he has no real control over 3) is basically meaningless beyond his twitter and a small section of his fans.

If one fan is entitled to ship a certain ship then other fans and people who create the show are entitled to express their own preferences, although it obviously behoves them to be diplomatic, that whole thing is essentially harmless. If you can't take that, its a wonder that you can watch anything on the actual show that isn't to do with subtext. Or do they only watch the clips?

Direct "contact" with actors and writers has definitely changed things in fandom. Once you were lucky if your subtext ship was ever acknowledged in an interview or talked about at a con and it was a big bonus if it was welcomed with a "go for it in your fic" shrug, now everyone is criticised if they don't have a fandom encyclopaedia next to them as they tweet  and hastag all possible supporters even if they're Emma/Rumbelle fans. And anyone attempting to use the "diversity" argument as their primary motivation should be asked why they aren't harassing the writers to include Esmeralda/anthropomorphic! Nala next season. The show should switch it up more with Princesses who find their desired Prince as cardboard as he seems to us and Princes who realise that rescuing a Princess in a tower wasn't actually their heart's desire, but it's meaningless when it comes in the sole context of one ship over another.  

And for the love of god "troll" does not equal "someone who disagrees with you".

Edited by Featherhat
  • Love 2

So wait, let me get this right. Colin tweeted "boom" about a Captain Swan moment and this was somehow offensive to Neal fans? Wha? Someone explain? I can't even wrap my brain around this. Why do they care if he tweets boom or supports the ship his character is involved in?

Every time I think fandom can't get more fucked up, fandom proves me wrong. THIS IS WHY WE CAN'T HAVE NICE THINGS, PEOPLE.

• Love 9

Here and this was the follow-up (with a ridiculous amount of hyperbole). I don't usually approve of hijacking someone's post like that (nor do I usually do it myself) but seriously, that was the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen and I'm so very tired of it.

Oh, hey, what a shock, I totally recognized the screen names of the first two users who liked that douchnozzle's latter post. Those two seem to have no other purpose in life but to surf around Twitter, Tumblr and articles about Once to make nasty, insulting comments about Hook. They are OBSESSED. It's to some creepy, hate-stalker level. If there's an article that mentions Hook, one or both of them has left a vile comment about him. If it's a Once article that doesn't mention Hook, they still may have left a comment ragging on Hook. 

• Love 1

I just want to have fun with the actors and I want the actors to have fun with us, and the fact that *every* single little thing the actors do becomes something for fans to hurl abuse at is disgusting. And the fact that the follow-up was just all, "Screw y'all, you're the problem, not me, whatevs," I just can't.

Anymore, I dread when I see news posts in this thread because my first thought is always, “oh no what did the crazies do now?”

First off, bravo Dani-Ellie for handling that with far less obscenities than it deserved. Shit like that is the reason my blood pressure wouldn’t survive me having a Twitter or Tumblr account.

So let me get this straight, that person is rallying the SF and SQ fandom to send hate to Colin because his use of #boom “gives haters more ammunition”? Let me know how stopping hate with hate works out. I love how this is the “equivalent to SF” as the non-homophobic stuff SQ give JMo and Sean shit for. UNREAL. If only there was a way to not read the tweets of people you don’t agree with or like…

The info on that person’s blog tells me everything I need to know about taking any of their arguments seriously. "Hating with an unhealthy passion"? Check. "Using social media as a weapon"? Check. (That person may be right about one thing—they may be the only ones left who "care about Henry" because he’s become so intolerable I’m not sure anyone can stand him anymore.) But don’t worry this person won’t “waist” their time reading your response since they wrote you off as a “troll”. I think these bad apples need a refresher on the definition of “troll”, because I’m pretty sure merely being “someone disagreeing with you” doesn’t fit the parameters. (They could also stand a lesson in the definition of “rape” and “rape culture”, as I actually heard there were a few accusations that telling someone they are your happing ending is now “rapey”.)

Bottom line: nobody forces them to watch this show. Do you know how many shows I have quit watching because I hated the direction it had gone? There’s very few things keeping me watching Once, so let me tell you if Emma and Neal were walking around being a couple after the shit he pulled I probably would’ve tuned out—no fanfare, no rants and abuse of actors/writers on Twitter—just simply stopped watching. But these BAs are so insufferable with their growing dictionary of words that are off limits and their outlandish reading of subtext where there is none.

I’m not deep in the fandom. I only make some posts here and lurk on a few Tumblr blogs, but it seems the BAs have gotten exponentially worse the last month or so. Is that the case? If so I wonder if it’s because the show is basically holding up a neon sign saying “this is the direction we are going and if you don’t like you might want to get off at the next exit” and so instead of just tuning out they’ve decided to “use social media as a weapon” against anyone and everyone not bowing to their every whim and writing the show exactly how they see fit.

• Love 1

Hee, thanks. I try not to answer stuff like that with anger and obscenities because it's kinda my (apparently naive) hope that if I respond reasonably, my points might be taken a little bit more reasonably.

Bottom line: nobody forces them to watch this show. Do you know how many shows I have quit watching because I hated the direction it had gone? There’s very few things keeping me watching Once, so let me tell you if Emma and Neal were walking around being a couple after the shit he pulled I probably would’ve tuned out—no fanfare, no rants and abuse of actors/writers on Twitter—just simply stopped watching.

This is what I don't understand, both here and the phenomenon of "hate-watching" in general: If you really don't like the show, stop watching. Life is too short for that shit. I certainly wouldn't still be watching this show if the stuff I enjoy didn't outweigh the stuff I don't. I get that sometimes hate-watching can be fun, in the MST3K kind of way, but when someone's dislike of the show becomes so destructive that they're hurting other human beings and actually proud of "using social media as a weapon?" That's not the show's problem.

(And I agree with you re: Emma and Neal. I have never noped a potential relationship on a show so much in my life and if they had gone in that direction, my little Emma-loving heart would have been so broken that I don't think they would have gotten me back.)

But these BAs are so insufferable with their growing dictionary of words that are off limits and their outlandish reading of subtext where there is none.

I think this is really my big problem with these people: they're holding the damn fandom hostage. Because if "boom" is offensive and "Don't you know, Emma? [My happy ending] is you" between two people in an established relationship is rape culture, where does it end? If every single thing that they even mildly disagree with becomes a call to arms, they're silencing everyone else's voices with their hatred.

• Love 1

I think this is really my big problem with these people: they're holding the damn fandom hostage. Because if "boom" is offensive and "Don't you know, Emma? [My happy ending] is you" between two people in an established relationship is rape culture, where does it end? If every single thing that they even mildly disagree with becomes a call to arms, they're silencing everyone else's voices with their hatred.

So much this.  These people need to learn about the 'off' button on their televisions.  Grow up, put on the big person pants, and walk away.   This isn't a crusade that makes any sense.  What is hate tweeting and weaponizing social media going to accomplish?  There have been plenty of end game relationships I didn't like, Friends and BSG come to mind.  And yet I had no problem refraining from writing hate mail and hate emails to the actors who act out the words on the pages they are handed by the writers.  I still think the idea that the actors are supposed to be following all of the innuendos and word choices of the fandom is ludicrous.  I'm pretty sure there is no trademark on BOOM or Savior Queen. These BA's act like every innocent "misuse" of a word is Shatner telling them to get out of their mom's basement.

• Love 5

Of all the MRJ tweets and such I've seen, I have never seen him use that hashtag or how it relates to Nealfire (granted I don't officially follow him). He also doesn't own that word. This is one of the stupidest things I've ever seen.

• Love 1

Aren't MRJ and Colin super good friends too?  And even if they weren't, the whole thing is so very ridiculous.  Imagine if all that energy was put towards something that's actually constructive. I don't know, go out, go do some volunteer work, read a book about not being obnoxious to other people or a bully or about good manners in general.  I really hate that people think it's okay to be jerks because they hide behind a screen name and a computer.  

• Love 6

This is so stupid, they need a new hobby.I don't know how their mind works, and I really don't want to know it.

And the funny thing it's that Colin is probably MRJ best friend among the cast. So I doubt he likes to see them attacking his friend in his name.

• Love 2

It's things like this that make me very thankful the Internet wasn't a "thing" when I was a New Kids on the Block fan. I can only imagine the hate tweets I would've sent Tiffany when I found out she was dating Jonathan Knight -- and of course the "No wai! OMG!" reaction I would've had on Twitter when we found out he was gay.

I don't know. These people are truly ridiculous, but I can't tell if this is a teenage thing this girl will be mortified by when she looks back on it or if it's a Millennial thing and this is just the way it is now because I don't understand the young people.

• Love 2
I don't know. These people are truly ridiculous, but I can't tell if this is a teenage thing this girl will be mortified by when she looks back on it or if it's a Millennial thing and this is just the way it is now because I don't understand the young people.

Same here. I don't know and I can't tell. Some of the overreaction to things (like "you're my happy ending" somehow being a bad thing) strikes me very much as college-freshman-taking-intro-to-women's-studies. Like, they're so big into pushing "feminism" and "down with systematic misogyny" but they don't really understand the intricacies of the theories enough to know when something actually is anti-feminist or systematic misogyny. So you end up getting arguments like "Hook is an ass who wore Emma down and that's the only reason she's going out with him" without recognizing that that argument reduces Emma to only being in a relationship because the man wants her to be and not because she may in fact (and, in my opinion, actually does) want to be in the relationship herself.

• Love 6

Yeah, that tends to be one of my issue with this segment of fandom. Its like they just recently heard about feminism, and patriarchy, and rape culture, and now they think of themselves as these super educated social justice warriors, when really they're just throwing out buzz words they heard in an intro level gender studies class to sound smarter and more important. They clearly don't know the real intricacies of any of this stuff, they just use it to make their arguments sound more important. 

Its a toxic attitude, that stifles actual discussion, makes people afraid to have ANY opinions at all, and turns these real, legitimate topics into nothing but reasons why you should or should not support a ship.

• Love 5

I don't think we're even at "intro to gender studies" levels here. More like "I saw something in the headline of a blog post that showed up on my Facebook feed, and it got people all riled up in the comments, so I should use it to bash 'ships I don't agree with."

• Love 10

Um, I have a confession. I just sent a snarky tweet to Adam. He just tweeted about the SQ Zimbio poll again. So I told you he wouldn't need to overcompensate by posting polls on Twitter if he just wrote a queer couple on Once. 

• Love 4

Its a toxic attitude, that stifles actual discussion, makes people afraid to have ANY opinions at all .

For some, I think that IS the point. It's not about discussion or communicating. It's a way of saying "Shut up or else!" In a way that still casts the other person as close-minded and the bad guy. It shows up in a lot of situations; it's just particularly obvious in this one.

• Love 3

Um, I have a confession. I just sent a snarky tweet to Adam. He just tweeted about the SQ Zimbio poll again. So I told you he wouldn't need to overcompensate by posting polls on Twitter if he just wrote a queer couple on Once. 

I don't think it would change anything, would it?  These people seem to want SQ, not SleepingWarrior or RedBeauty or whatever other pairing exists.  It's the toxic "relationship" they want.

• Love 1

I don't think it would change anything, would it?  These people seem to want SQ, not SleepingWarrior or RedBeauty or whatever other pairing exists.  It's the toxic "relationship" they want.

Yep, but at least Adam wouldn't feel the need to prove that he's pro LBGT people by posting random polls on Twitter. He could be like "hey, we actually DO have a queer couple on the show".

EDIT: I have to admit, I laughed when Colin retweeted this article.

Edited by Serena

I was just about to mention that Serena. Bless that sweet sweet Irish pirate. What a great response and I'm so glad he posted it on Twitter, where he probably interacts with trolls the most.

• Love 2

It's sad Colin felt the need to retweet that article in the first place. Although, I do have to say it's rather clever of him that he chose to tweet an article which happens to be talking about a guy named "Hook."

Ugh, why do trolls even exist? This is why I hate social media. Colin, come over to our boards! Your Hook thread is nothing but rainbows, sunshine, and flowery compliments about your mad acting skills!

• Love 2

I've been meaning to ask if anyone has invited them to this board? We're tough but fair....and polite :)

If I did Twitter, I'd be spamming every single Once writer to come over to these boards every day so that they can read some actual criticism that doesn't look like Twitterified 140 character garbage. But alas, I am anti-social media so someone else will have to do it.

I honestly doubt they know about this new forum. They were probably aware of TWoP and their recaps, but who knows if they kept up with the news that they migrated over to this new site. There's a big difference between reading a TWoP recap occasionally and going on the message boards.

Interesting that the Sherlock co-creator has said that Holmes is not gay, for heaven's sake, people! He's asexual!

"People want to fantasize about it. It’s fine. But it’s not in the show.”

THAT is what A&E need to say about SQ.

Edited by Souris
  • Love 2

Interesting that the Sherlock co-creator has said that Holmes is not gay, for heaven's sake, people! He's asexual!

"People want to fantasize about it. It’s fine. But it’s not in the show.”

Maybe he should stop with the queer baiting on the show then. :-p A trap into which A&E seem to have fallen as well.

• Love 1

Eh, that guy is an asshole. He queerbaits like crazy and then goes, "OMG, people think Sherlock and John are in love? Who knew!". I don't like the show and I'm so not a shipper, so this isn't coming from a biased point of view.

Adam and Eddy, TBH, have said "we aren't writing SQ". That was, I think, back at Comic Con before S2 premiered? Or S3? I don't remember, but they did it in a VERY public setting a couple of years ago. For them to give other interviews with the whole purpose of spelling out, again, "Emma and Regina are totally NOT gay" would be overkill and scream of gay panic. SQ shippers have been told. They may or may not chose to accept what they've been told. It's their business. 

This doesn't mean that the instances of queerbaiting that we have discussed in this thread are okay. But to keep repeating "not gay, not gay, not gay" doesn't really accomplish anything. 

• Love 1

Ah, I don't watch Sherlock or Dr. Who, so I don't know anything about him. Yeah, if a show queerbaits a lot, then what do the producers expect?

A&E may have said it once, but it seems it needs to be drilled repeatedly into the heads of some sections of the fandom.