Type keyword(s) to search

Fandom and Viewer Issues: "Fan" Is Short for "Fanatic"

Emma
  • Start Topic

But isn't that worse?

Yes, I think it's worse. I think queerbaiting is gross in this day and age. In this case, an episode like Breaking Glass is just taking something that is very personal and meaningful to people and treating it like a campy joke.

• Love 1

With "Breaking Glass", they were writing an episode that would mean different things to different viewers.  I think to an average viewer, that episode just showed Emma valuing Regina as a friend.  My friend who doesn't follow any of the online stuff didn't really think that episode was too different than any other.

I say the CSers should throw a giant celebration whether they win or get 2nd.

I feel bad for those who are voting so hard in the E Online poll. Something is definitely weird there. I voted with just multiple tabs, typing the captcha word as usual and the % didn't move up at all. But just a casual browsing of the #CaptainSwan tag on Twitter, you can see that there are certain fans voting against them. Who knows. I personally vote FOR something I like rather than against, but that's just me.

That said, if CS takes second place, the shippers should be very proud of themselves. There is nothing shabby about that.

Edited by ABitOFluff
  • Love 2

I was wondering if anyone over here had seen that tweet yet!

#TrueMath indeed! Even if "hundreds of thousands" of people were voting in the poll, there's no guarantee they would all, or even mostly, be voting for Steroline. Way to let your bias show, Kristen. Not to mention acting like a passive-aggressive jerk in the process, too...

Poll fixing and falsifying has gone on for a generation online. The only things it generates is ...increased hit numbers to a site so they can generate higher ad costs ...and fan anxiety. It stirs up the mean-assed frenzy crap faster than any fanpandering writers of any show do when they blatantly "play" viewers.

If you seek fairness, one vote per individual isp, but that will never happen. It is much too profitable for these sites to generate "wars" ...and promote the particularly ugly concept that anyone who doesn't come in "first" is a loser.

All the kicky fun and respectability of a polling competition is sucked out of it when cheating is acceptable and moronic boasting is applauded.

Bottom line, whoever makes your heart sing is a winner to you.

• Love 5
If you seek fairness, one vote per individual isp, but that will never happen. It is much too profitable for these sites to generate "wars"

Exactly.  The house always wins.  The only way to make the website lose is to not visit and to not vote.

• Love 3

Call me cynical, but I don't expect "fairness," per se in a poll. Any time people vote on something, there's always a good chance that a few people will cheat. Or even that many people will cheat. Sometimes you can prove it and do something about it, and sometimes you can't. Bottom line, life isn't fair, and there are much more important things to get worked up about than an online poll.

Now, is that to say I'm not suspicious and a bit irritated about this whole fiasco? Nope. I am. But I have much more important things to stress and worry about than this.

All of that being said, what I do expect from an event, whatever its outcome, is that the people associated with running it act in a professional manner, whatever their own personal position is. A simple statement that eonline saw no credible evidence of cheating should have sufficed, regardless of any hate she might have been receiving from any BAs. Instead,Kristen felt the need to make snarky, passive-aggressive remarks toward the losing fandom, which can easily be interpreted as bias, even if it isn't.

Edited by FanaticalWriter
  • Love 6

All the glorious Colin interviews and questions about CS could not have come at a better time. If Steroliners were cheating, I guess this is what you could call karma.

Kristen could have easily addressed the situation better than #TrueMath.

• Love 4

The sad thing is though, every one seemed like they were playing fair up until the final four.

This. I think many CS fans expected, and were excited for, a matchup with Ichabbie because those two couples had the highest votes throughout all the rounds. I think both sides would've played fair and it would've generated a round similar to the Sweet 16 with Olicity. That was the round that I had the most fun with, voting nonstop and watching the score bounce back and forth. Yeah there were accusations and alliances thrown around but nothing seemed to get ugly from what I saw. At the end of the day a round like that is what a poll like this, which doesn't mean anything other than bragging rights, should be like. Cheating in a fan poll about fictional couples? Nope can't think of anything better they could've done with their time. I hope those who cheated--because I know it wasn't all of their fans-- enjoy the non-interview I'm sure Kristen won't deliver...and speaking of Kristen: 

Oh, shut up Kristin. Hundreds of thousands? Try tens of hundreds. Your poll isn't that big.

Shut up indeed! I ignore TV polls and had never heard of this one until I was lurking through Tumblr on the last day of the 2nd round when they were up against the Mentalist couple. It had just been referred to as the E! poll so imagine my shock when I clicked to see it was Kristen's poll. I'm a spoiler dinosaur and remember Kristen when she used to be "Watch with Wanda" back in my Alias and Gilmore Girls days and never delivered much real scoop in her columns. Back then it was always a close race between "Wanda" and the insidious Ted Casablanca for who was E!'s more inept "reporter", so color me surprised that she was even still around at E!. Nice to see she's still classy as always with her #True Math shit and the fact that a TVD couple is apparently going to win for the fifth straight year. Nothing fishy about that at all.

That said, if CS takes second place, the shippers should be very proud of themselves. There is nothing shabby about that.

Absolutely. I'm happy that even when the numbers shifted dramatically on Tuesday, and it was becoming more apparent that shady shit was going down on the other side, most CS shippers  just voted harder rather than taking a can't-beat-em-join-em mentality and cheating too. Like I said the Olicity round felt like a championship, and there was no real rhyme or reason to how she decided who faced who in each round, so nothing for CS fans to hang their heads about.

ETA: Jinx Souris! Dumbass Wanda.

Edited by buildmeupbuttercup
  • Love 3

I've decided the E! poll is a metaphor for my Once experience: It started with fun, hope and excitement, and ended in frustration, annoyance and haters within the fandom. (Actually, it applies to most of my fandoms.) LOL.

• Love 6

I've been irritated with Kristin since the days of "Alias," back when she was called Wanda.

Oh hell! That just made me cringe. Between "Wanda's" Alias and Office coverage, I wanted to break things.

• Love 2

Wait a minute. I was in the other ship's tumblr tag and I need to get this off my chest. So the same night that this other ship wins a poll, their ship coincidentally has a huge episode with sex? And Kristen wants to yammer on at us with a #truemath tag? Oh my gosh, I hate that woman so much.

• Love 3

Bringing over from Spoiler thread:

Thank you, Colin, for not addressing Swan Queen. You're my hero. Of all the cast I think I like his interviews the best.

Predictably, SQ fans are in a snit about that on Twitter. Hmm, I think I'll start using the term "twit snit." Yeah, they're all in a twit snit.

• Love 2

Here's the nonspoilery Q/A (spoilers in this link):

TVF: The Captain Swan fans are so loud and vocal out there. How has that been for your to receive? They definitely don’t like when things come between Hook and Emma, do they?

COD: It’s great for the show that our fans are so passionate and that’s an incredible thing to be a part of a show where people are passionate about the characters. I think it’s a testament to the writers and team behind the show that people have connected so much with certain characters. Definitely, Captain Swan fans are vocal as are the Rumbelle fans and Outlaw Queen fans. It’s great for the show that people have taken such an interest.

Edited by Souris
  • Love 3
Predictably, SQ fans are in a snit about that on Twitter. Hmm, I think I'll start using the term "twit snit." Yeah, they're all in a twit snit.

They need to get off their high horse.  I find them really annoying.

• Love 4

They need to get off their high horse.  I find them really annoying.

Seriously, do they do anything but sit behind their keyboards and bitch and whine about every little perceived slight? They even attacked Adam for linking to the E Online poll.

Edited by ABitOFluff
  • Love 4

Why should he have to mention them? They aren't a canon couple. Also, a lot of their vocal-ness is filled with hate aimed at the show, etc. Maybe Colin didn't want to sit there and list off every single ship considered vocal.

You don't see the Snowing crowd throwing a tizzy for not being mentioned. Although to be fair, the Snowing crowd doesn't seem to be as vocal (which is not a bad thing) They seem to be more laid back, which I can appreciate.

• Love 6

The SQ fans get so offended anytime someone mentions or promotes a ship and doesn't also mention SQ. Do they really expect them to mention the dozens of different fanon ships, or is theirs the only one that matters? I've also seen them complaining to Adam that he favors CaptainSwan over other ships. Of course he likes CaptainSwan - he created and wrote it! If he liked SwanQueen better, he would have written that instead. I just don't get people sometimes. Of course the creators, writers, and actors are going to focus on promoting what's actually part of the show. 

ETA: Jinx HoodlumSheep :)

Edited by Kktjones
  • Love 5

Predictably, SQ fans are in a snit about that on Twitter.

FFS!

shut-up.gif

Seriously I've really had my fill with them this week with their anti-CS poll shit, their hissy fit about Adam not posting their poll fast enough, and now getting mad because Colin is awesome and refused to acknowledge their crack ship with the show's canon ships. I've seriously never seen a more immature, entitled, abusive group of crack shippers in my life. Bless Colin for throwing--intentional or not--shade at the rude assholes who constantly berate him, other cast members, and the writers. They gotten faaaaaaaar more acknowledgement than they deserved because they verbally abused their way to it. Glad at least one cast member doesn't play to their shit. They're going to still spew their hate regardless so might as well not give them satisfaction along the way.

• Love 8
Why should he have to mention them? They aren't a canon couple.

This is what I don't understand about the hugely vocal SQ crowd in general. Swan Queen is a fan-created ship. It does not exist on the show, especially now that both characters are canonically involved with other people. When I was in the Casey/Olivia fandom, I don't recall people getting pissed off with Mariska Hargitay or Diane Neal when they did interviews and didn't address Casey/Olivia. Because we understood that it wasn't a real thing. Them's the breaks with a fanon ship. Get the hell over yourselves, peeps.

I just do not get it. I really, really don't.

Also, a lot of their vocal-ness is filled with hate aimed at the show, etc.

This, too. Maybe people would be more inclined to throw them a bone if they weren't such nasty abusive asshats to begin with.

Edited by Dani-Ellie
  • Love 3

I was just bored and reading Adam's replies, and he did a masterful bit of trolling. Some SQer (I assume, I didn't check their Twitter) was linking him an article about Shonda Rhimes' shows, and about how they're gonna be remembered in 10 years while Once is gonna be forgotten. Except this person mispelled "shows" as "shoes". So Adam goes "That's rude, we shouldn't judge people by their shoes or their clothes, just their writing!". It was glorious.

Edited by Serena
  • Love 4

This is what I don't understand about the hugely vocal SQ crowd in general. Swan Queen is a fan-created ship. It does not exist on the show, especially now that both characters are canonically involved with other people. When I was in the Casey/Olivia fandom, I don't recall people getting pissed off with Mariska Hargitay or Diane Neal when they did interviews and didn't address Casey/Olivia. Because we understood that it wasn't a real thing. Them's the breaks with a fanon ship. Get the hell over yourselves, peeps.

I just do not get it. I really, really don't.

I have to agree with you.  This completely boggles me.  I miss a lot of it, because I'm a bit of a Luddite when it comes to social media.  (The more you have out there, the easier it is for The Machine or Samaritan to track you.  I don't even have a cell phone--those are one step closer to Skynet.)

But, not only is their ship not canon, he's not one of the characters involved in their noncanon ship.  So, he's supposed to endorse the relationship that the Swan Queeners have made up about his character's girlfriend?  How does that even make sense?  Why is he supposed to have opinions about the fantasies of people he's never met, that don't actually have anything to do with his job?

IF they're truly having fits about that--and it's gotten to more than the occasional weird, ranty comment on a blog?  They need to be told off and ignored.  This is crazy.

• Love 4

I was just bored and reading Adam's replies, and he did a masterful bit of trolling. Some SQer (I assume, I didn't check their Twitter) was linking him an article about Shonda Rhimes' shows, and about how they're gonna be remembered in 10 years while Once is gonna be forgotten. Except this person mispelled "shows" as "shoes". So Adam goes "That's rude, we shouldn't judge people by their shoes or their clothes, just their writing!". It was glorious.

Oh Adam. When he gets snarky, he gets really snarky and I love it!

But, not only is their ship not canon, he's not one of the characters involved in their noncanon ship.  So, he's supposed to endorse the relationship that the Swan Queeners have made up about his character's girlfriend?  How does that even make sense?

So I noticed he didn't mention Swan Queen either and figured he might get some crap but it makes perfect sense to me. Colin plays Hook, the man in a relationship with Emma. Why would he want to promote a crack ship that would cut off an important part of his character's interactions on the show? Outlaw Queen is a relationship that doesn't require his character to break up with his tv girlfriend. Rumbelle is a ship he sort of became a part of in last week's episode. Swan Queen goes against his survival as a character and an actor. I'm just thankful that Colin doesn't seem to give a shit when it comes to people tweeting him about things like this. I'm fans of Jen and Adam overall, I am, and I get bored sometimes with Colin's Twitter Q&As that are just him saying "boom" to a fan from Brazil who begged for one. But you have to give Colin credit for not responding to the DRAMAZ on Twitter. 

And btw, just to reiterate, we didn't win the E! Online poll and got six good interviews from Colin in the past two days anyways. Don't slag on that sweet Irish pirate just because he either didn't remember or didn't care to pander to your little crack ship.

Edited by sharky
  • Love 5

I don't know why Adam et al don't have an issue with the SQ behavior on Twitter, but they're in effect condoning it -- heck, SQ fans even have their own pet writer now. Adam thanks fans for their "passion," when often it's simply rudeness or hatred, and I think that's an unfortunate message. So much of the online environment is toxic because of the anonymity, and IMO Adam and Scott Nimerfro, in particular, only make things worse by interacting with some of the most toxic SQ BA's. Maybe Adam doesn't see particular posters' tendencies like fans do, but his answer copping to the mistake with Cinderella's baby was in response to IMO the absolute worst, most notorious, most hateful of the SQ BA's. So that'll only encourage him to post even more. It's incredibly frustrating.

Colin's interviews have been lovely and it was so nice to get them on the heels of the poll that shall not be named. Honestly, I don't care about online polls because they're so open to abuse, but I got caught up in the enthusiasm just a bit this time.

I've never known any online fandom that didn't have its toxic factions. I agree it's much better to ignore those factions than to feed them raw meat.

• Love 4

JMo has made two tweets promoting the episode and CS (she must really like it!). I won't mention some of the inevitable nasty replies she got, but some of them were calling her "mom". What is that??! Is is a new social media thing? It seems rather rude.

• Love 3

Yeah, I don't know what the new "MOM" "DAD" "BAE" trend is. It's really annoying, along with the million "OMG ILY" comments and "PLS RESPOND TO ME." I think it's supposed to be a joke, like a middle school or high school kid calling out to their parent because something crazy happened? I have no idea. All I know is that's why I'll never be active on Twitter.

• Love 2

JMo has made two tweets promoting the episode and CS (she must really like it!). I won't mention some of the inevitable nasty replies she got, but some of them were calling her "mom". What is that??! Is is a new social media thing? It seems rather rude.

I think it's CREEPY! I've seen a lot of "DADDY!!" sent to Colin, as well as the ILYs and MARRY MEs. It creeps me out.

• Love 1

Parts of the SQ crowd could put a lot of their wasted Twitter energy/hate towards substantive creativity by writing their own stories and establishing a positive and supportive community. The freedom of the Internet gives them few boundaries. A&E's story does not include their preferred coupling. Nothing ever promoted or shown in actual scripts gives any credence to the SQ's chosen fantasy relationship. THAT is the reality of this fantasy program. Certain SQ fans only paint themselves as belligerently immature and small minded in their current combative attitudes. That eats away at any respect they may still have within the fandom.

Frankly, Twitter is small potatoes in the total scheme of fandom and only addresses a very specific and chaotic faction of social media. If they chose to wallow in bullying complaints and childish tantrums, well, no one can stop them on Twitter. They have all the creative tools and freedom of taking it positively in another direction, and they choose to be crass and petty.

While there are finally some very quality and real LGBT relationships being portrayed on TV (The marvelous Orange is the New Black comes to mind immediately though I am sure that program is out of the sphere of maturity in which many SQ's most vocal other-ship haters dwell.), ONCE is not, with these two characters, going in that direction. Heads, meet brick wall!

The mature thing to do is Get Over It and create their own supportive *fantasy* group/message board/ fanfic sites.Nothing is stopping them but their own classless immaturity...or maybe their talent. They never seem to be at a loss for words, so maybe it is just the caliber, direction and creativity of their words that is the problem.

Yeah, I don't know what the new "MOM" "DAD" "BAE" trend is. It's really annoying, along with the million "OMG ILY" comments and "PLS RESPOND TO ME." I think it's supposed to be a joke, like a middle school or high school kid calling out to their parent because something crazy happened? I have no idea. All I know is that's why I'll never be active on Twitter.

Online groupies - and as loud and annoying as they are in the offline world. Love it when they over a short time tweet the same tweet, exact same wording or occasionally somewhat smarter with slight variance, to force attention. Things like that meet Twitter's criteria for spam. It amuses me for a while by now that slang BAE (short for babe, baby or sometimes translated as 'before anyone else') coincides with the nickname for a certain character on the show. These groupies barely are able to "whisper" anything but ILY (i love you), and other internet or teenager lingo of adoration, creating an illusion of in-group feelings with their use of language, totally blown away by the looks and charm of the object of their adoration, And if you visit their account (if you dare) brace yourself for jabbering in CAPS and drolling all over the place. Good thing is, in online world there are tools to filter such nuisance out and mute the accounts.

Edited by katusch

Yeah, I don't know what the new "MOM" "DAD" "BAE" trend is. It's really annoying, along with the million "OMG ILY" comments and "PLS RESPOND TO ME." I think it's supposed to be a joke, like a middle school or high school kid calling out to their parent because something crazy happened? I have no idea. 

It's weird and creepy! I just don't get some of these trends. Do they think the celebs are going to keep up with the evolving slang? There a clip of Johnny Depp asking what "bae" meant when someone yelled out that "he was their Bae". haha

Love it when they over a short time tweet the same tweet, exact same wording or occasionally somewhat smarter with slight variance, to force attention.

I think some of them must use bots to send the same tweet 100s of times to get attention. I don't get it...

Really?  Does he say about what specifically, or just mention that it happens?

And, wow, am I unimpressed with some of the Once fans.  He's not even on the show.  Him tweeting about it is nothing but bonus for Once, and a nice thing, since the little bit I've read he's a fan.  (Unless I'm getting my shows mixed up, but I don't think I am.)

• Love 1

Shatner made some very rude comments about Robin Hood, and that set some fans off. It escalated from there to include some CS fans, which was disappointing. I don't like Once fans going after celebs over their opinions about the show. SQ fans did that to Yvette Nicole Brown when she said something nice about CS, so she stopped commenting about Once at all. I think Shatner is kind of a perv and don't agree with a lot of his Once opinions, but he's entitled to them.

• Love 3