Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E05: Quarter to Midnight

• Start Topic

Aw, Duke...

I liked that both Eliza and William were able to use their words, apologize, and get over their annoyance/ anger with one another fairly quickly. I feel like last season there would have been a lot more raised voices and slammed objects. They're growing up!

1 hour ago, HoodlumSheep said:

So I wonder how long the Duke being fired/forcibly promoted is going to last. 

They aren't going to let Eliza lose her police connections so I doubt it'll last too long.

I'm wondering this, too, and trying to think of various possibilities...

A) Duke quits and joins forces with Eliza. (Very unlikely, but potentially entertaining!)

B) Duke leaves at the end of the next episode, but they find a way to bring him back at the beginning of next season. (Could change up the dynamic of things a bit if they do a time jump.)

C) Fitzroy, Sr. dies or is proven crooked in some way. (Seems too similar to last season's finale...)

D) Duke or Fitzroy, Jr. find a way to persuade Senior to back off in his hatred of Duke. (Blackmail of some kind?)

E) Duke does something heroic next episode and is begrudgingly allowed to stay.

• Love 8
9 hours ago, HoodlumSheep said:

So I wonder how long the Duke being fired/forcibly promoted is going to last. 

They aren't going to let Eliza lose her police connections so I doubt it'll last too long.

Fitzroy :(

Poor Fitzroy, he just can't win. When he is happy, he gets the rug pulled out from under him. 

• Sad 1
  • Love 5

As soon as they showed the sister, I said, "She wrote the books and she's the murderer." Please clap. ;{P}

I'm really enjoying this show and I'm wondering if it's due in part to the fact that it's the only mystery show I can figure out. (I also suspected the graverobber wasn't who she said she was.)

• Like 2
  • Applause 4
  • LOL 2
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, Jeffurry said:

I'm really enjoying this show and I'm wondering if it's due in part to the fact that it's the only mystery show I can figure out. (I also suspected the graverobber wasn't who she said she was.)

I feel like there's a lot of Chekov's gun employed in this show - show the sister in the first act and... well, you know...  I also pegged her as the real writer from the start, but I felt the reason behind her killing everyone was a little weak and didn't suspect her until very close to the end. 

I don't know if the reason the mysteries are a little easier to solve is because they really consider this a relationship show, and not a mystery show, or, if because they kept cast pared down due to covid filming restrictions and just don't introduce as many "red herring" characters as we've become accustomed to. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 4
14 hours ago, dargosmydaddy said:

Maybe Fitzroy redeems himself in a big way and the success reflects well on Duke, so they both get to stay on.  And of course Eliza is the catalyst behind it all.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
15 hours ago, dargosmydaddy said:

Aw, Duke...

I liked that both Eliza and William were able to use their words, apologize, and get over their annoyance/ anger with one another fairly quickly. I feel like last season there would have been a lot more raised voices and slammed objects. They're growing up!

A) Duke quits and joins forces with Eliza. (Very unlikely, but potentially entertaining!)

B) Duke leaves at the end of the next episode, but they find a way to bring him back at the beginning of next season. (Could change up the dynamic of things a bit if they do a time jump.)

C) Fitzroy, Sr. dies or is proven crooked in some way. (Seems too similar to last season's finale...)

D) Duke or Fitzroy, Jr. find a way to persuade Senior to back off in his hatred of Duke. (Blackmail of some kind?)

E) Duke does something heroic next episode and is begrudgingly allowed to stay.

Great minds think alike!! But I only thought of 4 scenarios - you have 5!! No matter what, we KNOW William isn't going anywhere...... at least not for very long. 

3 hours ago, nora1992 said:

Would a Hattie/Fitzroy union make everyone happy?

Absolutely!! I mentioned this after last weeks show - glad we're on the same page!! 💗

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Jeffurry said:

As soon as they showed the sister, I said, "She wrote the books and she's the murderer." Please clap. ;{P}

Yes, I called it as well.  It does seem like sometimes this show makes it easy to spot the killer.  I said right away that she wrote the books and she killed the others because she was tired of being disrespected.

I'm assuming that William isn't actually going to Glasgow, so I think in the season finale, William and Fitzroy will solve a crime, William will give Fitzroy the credit, and William is going to save Fitzroy's life from a killer, and that will make the grumpy father happy enough to allow the two of them to remain a team in London.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1

Miss Scarlett and the Duke is the Where’s Waldo of mystery shows in terms of who the murderess/er is! I’m always willing to suspend my disbelief while watching and I’m spotting the murderers too. 

@dargosmydaddy you have great possibilities. I’m hoping for one that vindicates the Duke and Fitzroy. Because:

9 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

Poor Fitzroy, he just can't win. When he is happy, he gets the rug pulled out from under him. 

I feel so sorry for Fitzroy! He even wants to try and is trying and his father keeps getting angrier. I wish he could have stayed in admin for a bit longer. In spite of the constant emotional abuse, Fitzroy knew where his strengths were. What exactly is it that his father wants him to be? Oooh, I want that father publicly humiliated in some way. Maybe he can be caught with a Victorian prostitute in a house of ill repute. 

I’m torn about a Hattie and Fitzroy pairing. I think Hattie deserves better but maybe she could starch Fitzroy’s spine in an emotionally supportive way. Fitzroy’s family might be up to Aunt Parker’s standards too. 

I loved Moses complaining about having to follow the builders of hospitals and other do gooders for middling reasons. The next thing you know poor Moses will have to follow people to church! 

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, chaifan said:

I feel like there's a lot of Chekov's gun employed in this show - show the sister in the first act and... well, you know...  I also pegged her as the real writer from the start, but I felt the reason behind her killing everyone was a little weak and didn't suspect her until very close to the end. 

I don't know if the reason the mysteries are a little easier to solve is because they really consider this a relationship show, and not a mystery show, or, if because they kept cast pared down due to covid filming restrictions and just don't introduce as many "red herring" characters as we've become accustomed to. 

I believe they’ve finally settled on the focus of “mysteries” (or conflict-resolution) they want to present.  They have a core, which would be the Met’s employees, local society, and Scarlet/associates. They also have a CoW that often intersects with the core in more than the obvious one way. Threats are introduced, both from within the core and from CoW. This season has been more fun to watch as it seems they’re injecting more humor and connecting all the characters more. So, I’d guess it’s the “relationship”, but I’m not selling the “mystery/evil plot within” the Met short. William’s second turned out to be pretty evil last season. 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, nora1992 said:

Would a Hattie/Fitzroy union make everyone happy?

Hattie's aunt is socially prominent, so if Fitzroy "won" Hattie, his father might be pleased (even if he didn't say so).

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Ah hell.  I was so sure that after he’d had the crap beat out of him,  the group would embrace Fitzroy for his toughness and  they’d all get drunk together.

I’m starting to identify more with William than Eliza.  For one thing: I have a morning routine.  And it makes me happy and I love it, even if it also makes me predictable #TeamDuke

Still haven’t watched Season One but the more I see of this pair, the more I think of them as the same, not different.  Both rebels in their own way.  Let’s face it: if the Duke was a by-the-book kind of guy, he’d never have been offered the “promotion” to Glasgow.  Because he’d be so up the butt of the PTB, they’d forget to notice he was there.

• Applause 1
  • Love 3
On 11/14/2022 at 8:12 AM, Jeffurry said:

Me too! I never figure out the mystery but the actrees playing the sister was super sketch! She LOOKED guilty as hell!

I thought this ep was cute! I love the way Eliza and William know one another so well. And once again the running joke -- you brought your wife! -- she not my wife! haha! It never gets old.

The character of Hattie is still somewhat annoying to me. Forcibly quirky characters annoy me. But Fitzroy -- he's playing his quirkiness not in your face. - so to speak. He's more subtle. I love the way he smiles and lights up the minute he sees Eliza! and William ALWAYS notices!

Speaking of -- Eliza and Moses are just adorable! The way they were laughing and smiling together when William walks up! Haha! William most definitely notices that as well. I love the way his jaw clenches when he sees them together.

Yeah. I wonder how/what they will do with William going off to Glasgow??? I mean the show is called Miss Scarlet and THE DUKE - so I can't imagine his absence will last very long.

• Love 2

I don't want to be the one to inject anything dark into the discussion but I'm worried about a Fitzroy demise. His father might find a dead but heroic son easier to bear than a live son who doesn't meet his expectations (well, he's an awful person and I'm just saying the obvious) With Fitzroy out of the picture, the impetus behind the Glasgow transfer would lessen if not disappear entirely. 

I find Fitzroy genuinely likeable and I go all soft on the Duke when he interferes on Fitzroy's behalf. So note to writers: Do not even THINK about killing off that character. Period.

• Like 2
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, tootsie said:

I don't want to be the one to inject anything dark into the discussion but I'm worried about a Fitzroy demise. His father might find a dead but heroic son easier to bear than a live son who doesn't meet his expectations (well, he's an awful person and I'm just saying the obvious) With Fitzroy out of the picture, the impetus behind the Glasgow transfer would lessen if not disappear entirely. 

I find Fitzroy genuinely likeable and I go all soft on the Duke when he interferes on Fitzroy's behalf. So note to writers: Do not even THINK about killing off that character. Period.

^^^ that never occurred to me!

I like Fitzroy! The little actor is killing it! His cute little facial expressions are adorable - especially when he sees Eliza walk into a room! He just lights up! !

He's a geek from the 1800's! Spouting Shakespeare! Being all weird and awkward.

Don't kill him!

• Like 2
  • Love 4
On 11/15/2022 at 4:39 PM, taanja said:

I like Fitzroy! The little actor is killing it! His cute little facial expressions are adorable - especially when he sees Eliza walk into a room! He just lights up! !

Don't kill him!

Even better when he - Fitzroy - starts singing " I Am the Very Model of a Modern Major-General" from Gilbert and Sullivan 's 1879 comic opera 'The Pirates of Penzance'. Too cute - I LOVED it.

Edited by 4merBachAddict
  • Like 3
  • Love 10
On 11/14/2022 at 8:12 AM, Jeffurry said:

When this sister kept answering for her brother I thought “what’s the deal with her??” And my mom said “maybe she wrote the books”. 

On 11/15/2022 at 3:39 PM, taanja said:

Don't kill him!

I like him too. I can tell he has a little crush on Eliza. 

• Like 2

I am late to the party having just started binge-watching the series. I, too, like Fitzroy - he strikes me as the replacement for Rupert much more so than Hattie. I see him turning into an "information expert" and providing great help to Duke and Eliza. 

Great move to begin to pair Ivy and Mr. Potts for several reasons.