Type keyword(s) to search

S31.E05: Most Memorable Year Night

• Start Topic

“Stars’ Stories Week: Most Memorable Year” – “Stars’ Stories Week” kicks off its exciting two-night event with “Most Memorable Year.” The 12 remaining couples will perform emotional routines that best represent the most impactful years of their lives.

Air date: Oct 17, 2022

Well Production Choice Charli you're famous for Dancing on Awful Tik Tok. Can we fast forward to her winning already, yes I know I said this already but RME. I can't root for someone who's famous from Tik Tok. Oh look the Production darling gets the First 10's BARF  and they desperately want their picks mother there at the end 

Edited by Josh371982
  • Like 2
  • Applause 2

Charli who admits contemporary is her specialty gets THREE 10's. So why didn't Gabby get at least one 10? Loved her dance with Val.

I am unable to really enjoy the TikTok ringer and her mother. They are too far down the ringer path and IMO they are both aloof and haughty.

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, Melonie77 said:

Charli who admits contemporary is her specialty gets THREE 10's. So why didn't Gabby get at least one 10? Loved her dance with Val.

I am unable to really enjoy the TikTok ringer and her mother. They are too far down the ringer path and IMO they are both aloof and haughty.

And Wayne deserved some 10's. It's obvious who the favorite is. The BARF "Social Media Megastar" from Tik Tok must be praised and glide to the finals. Also they desperately want Momma there as well. Can not root for anyone famous from Awful Tik Tok And Shitty Reality shows. Really wish Charli was withdrawing not Selma :((

• Love 6

Gutted that Selma has bowed out. Understandable, but she has been grace and class personified and I will miss her. The training week to week is challenging for any person on this journey, add to that her health condition, and what she's been able to accomplish is truly inspirational. She deserves all of the 10s. 

I barely paid attention to both tik tok and her mom. Mark probably only agreed to come back if he had someone good. It's just not all that interesting. 

• Love 9

Well, I called it Week One - Charli would get the first 10.  Now that we're at the halfway mark, they are comfortable separating her out from the pack.  They probably would have given her all 10s tonight except they knew Selma was leaving and had pre-arranged that honor for her since it was performatory rather than actually counting.  I know I'm going to hell for ragging on a teenager but I just couldn't listen to her talk about her anxiety.  She deliberately puts herself in positions for people to judge her and then complains that she has anxiety.  Well then stop dancing on TikTok and putting your whole family on reality tv.  That's all voluntary, and the trolls come with it.  You want the money and the fame and to be an "empire," then don't ask people to feel sorry for you.  Ugh.  Anyway, Mark's choreography was amazing, and his makeup was incredible.  Charli danced it well - big shock not - but I just don't feel anything watching her.  My eyes are drawn to Mark always.

I thought Trevor did a good job.  Jazz and contemporary don't seem to play to his strengths, but he acquitted himself well, and I'm glad he'll be around at least one more week.  I'm enjoying watching him learn and grow.  Shangela was terrific, and boy does she bring out the best in Gleb.  Maybe because there's no need to try for a showmance or anything, so Gleb can just relax and not try so hard.  But they've been a great pairing, and this was a lovely dance.

I don't know why but Joseph just doesn't grab me.  I can't really warm up to him.  He seemed to handle the dance pretty well, but there's just something off for me, and I honestly don't know what it is.  Jessie is okay, but I won't be sad when she leaves.  I am really enjoying Jordin, though.  Her dance was fun, and I hope she's around a while.  Gabby, Heidi, Daniel were all good but not great for me tonight.  Vinny is another one I still can't seem to warm up to.  Will be fine with him leaving.  

Wayne did a really lovely job tonight.  That was really nice.  And Selma's waltz was beautiful.  I'm sorry to see her go, but it's good that she was keeping tabs on herself and was able to stop before she really hurt herself.  There's no shame in putting your health first (looking at you celebs who get hurt and insist on continuing at the risk of further serious injury).  Giving her a perfect score was a nice farewell touch.  

13 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

Wait, there's an episode today and tomorrow, then? Are they both going to be 2 hours?

It certainly sounds like it will be.  There's another theme of Prom Night and a dance marathon.  There's still a lot of celebs left; it's hard to imagine they could get through them all in just an hour.

• Love 5
38 minutes ago, MissPriss said:

What’s wrong with Alfonso tonight? He’s not on his game. He’s reading questions with no expression. 

Yes, and his ad-lib commentary has not been the greatest either. I'm surprised but he doesn't seem able to react quickly enough to provide interesting responses during his sky box interviews with the contestants. Tonight in particular his conversations were sadly quite banal.
I like Alphonso but he and Tyra really emphasize just how great TOM was with his welcoming manner, witty replies, and relaxed relevant dialogues.
I wonder if Alphonso is having any behind the scenes problems with Tyra. Perhaps she doesn't like sharing the stage with a second host.

• Love 4
19 minutes ago, Melonie77 said:

I wonder if Alphonso is having any behind the scenes problems with Tyra. Perhaps she doesn't like sharing the stage with a second host.

That was exactly my thought about Alphonso and Tyra.  She sucks out all of the joy from this show.  

Wishing Selma very well.  

• Like 1
  • Love 8
43 minutes ago, LadyMustang65 said:

Well, I called it Week One - Charli would get the first 10.  Now that we're at the halfway mark, they are comfortable separating her out from the pack.  They probably would have given her all 10s tonight except they knew Selma was leaving and had pre-arranged that honor for her since it was performatory rather than actually counting.  I know I'm going to hell for ragging on a teenager but I just couldn't listen to her talk about her anxiety.  She deliberately puts herself in positions for people to judge her and then complains that she has anxiety.  Well then stop dancing on TikTok and putting your whole family on reality tv.  That's all voluntary, and the trolls come with it.  You want the money and the fame and to be an "empire," then don't ask people to feel sorry for you.  Ugh.  Anyway, Mark's choreography was amazing, and his makeup was incredible.  Charli danced it well - big shock not - but I just don't feel anything watching her.  My eyes are drawn to Mark always.

I thought Trevor did a good job.  Jazz and contemporary don't seem to play to his strengths, but he acquitted himself well, and I'm glad he'll be around at least one more week.  I'm enjoying watching him learn and grow.  Shangela was terrific, and boy does she bring out the best in Gleb.  Maybe because there's no need to try for a showmance or anything, so Gleb can just relax and not try so hard.  But they've been a great pairing, and this was a lovely dance.

I don't know why but Joseph just doesn't grab me.  I can't really warm up to him.  He seemed to handle the dance pretty well, but there's just something off for me, and I honestly don't know what it is.  Jessie is okay, but I won't be sad when she leaves.  I am really enjoying Jordin, though.  Her dance was fun, and I hope she's around a while.  Gabby, Heidi, Daniel were all good but not great for me tonight.  Vinny is another one I still can't seem to warm up to.  Will be fine with him leaving.  

Wayne did a really lovely job tonight.  That was really nice.  And Selma's waltz was beautiful.  I'm sorry to see her go, but it's good that she was keeping tabs on herself and was able to stop before she really hurt herself.  There's no shame in putting your health first (looking at you celebs who get hurt and insist on continuing at the risk of further serious injury).  Giving her a perfect score was a nice farewell touch.  

It certainly sounds like it will be.  There's another theme of Prom Night and a dance marathon.  There's still a lot of celebs left; it's hard to imagine they could get through them all in just an hour.

You said perfectly why I don't have any real sympathy for Charli. WTF does she expect. Shes famous for being a Tik Tok Dancer and sadly Tik Tok must be sucked off by Judges and Production. SHOCKER the Production Choice got 3 10's with something that's Her Speciality! Sucks seeing her glide through every week, given tounge baths by Judges and Production. She needs to be a shock boot. Being a "Social Media Megastar" emits no rooting ability for me. Gross that her Tik Tok followers even if they don't watch will get her the win 

• Like 3
  • Applause 3

I thought Joseph did so well tonight. He is so graceful and focussed, loved this choreography. He has really climbed and he deservedly has the most improved star.  Wayne was really good, but I expected more from the choreography, it seemed really safe. . I thought Selma was lovely and she’s right to leave at the point where two dances are expected weekly.  Ballas just turns me off with the theatrical bullshit so For me the cool thing is skipping to the end when I watch playback instead of live. It’s too insufferable to sit through all of that. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

I enjoyed all the dances tonight for various different reasons. Selma's performance was a lovely and graceful last dance. I really respect how well she has done with the limitations her disease puts on her and am very disappointed to see her go.😢

I feel like some of the cast continues to get underscored and picked on a bit...I'm cheering for Trevor, Daniel and Shangela who are working so hard and turning out great entertaining performances yet they are not receiving any or many 'nines' yet?
Why all nines for Gabby - not even one 'ten'? Derek raved about her turns and leg extensions. I don't think she should have been moved into third place tonight after tying with Wayne and Charli the last couple of weeks. I hope the judges are not pinning the 3 best dancers into contrived ranked positions.

If the show is going to bring in the ringiest ringer to ever ring they should at least back off on the tongue bathing. Especially when the mother / daughter duo stand there appearing to expect all manner of praise.

Tyra warned us tonight that she will be changing into a number of costumes for tomorrow's prom night. Please! Isn't there anyone on set who can tone this woman's self-love and camera hogging down? I'm also wondering why she commented about diversity back in the 1990's world of modeling when talking to the tiktok mother. How was tiktok lady's modeling efforts an example of diversity? Was Tyra's comment actually a way to boast about herself?

Edited by Melonie77
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

That’s cool that Gabby was an ICU nurse during the pandemic. She was a lot more interesting this week. Vinny, Trevor and Joseph can go any time now.

Ugh, Charli is so phony. Are we supposed to feel sorry for you being a millionaire at 18 for doing nothing? Go away already!

• Like 4
  • Love 2

So, I was finally able to watch a show on the night it aired...

Bummed that there wasn't an opening number

Trevor-I love Emma's dress. Imo, this was his best dance so far

Shangela-Very pretty dance. I liked seeing a softer side of her

Jessie-The dance wasn't bad, she  just doesn't do anything for me

Gabby-I liked the dance, but same as Jessie

Joseph-What am I missing? I felt like he did more standing/posing than he did dancing. Also, what is Carrie Ann talking about? Poor Derek

Daniel-Good recovery from last week

What is Emma on? She's super hyper tonight🤣

Jordin-That was a fun dance

Tyra is so incredibly awkward it's embarrasing

They need to bolt those chairs to the floor

You have to give it to Mark, he really goes all in, and lol that they're still yellow

Charli-Of course she gets the first 10s, my eyes are rolling so hard right now I have a headache.

Side note-I still don't like contemporary dances for this show, it's extremely subjective.

Vinnie-He's improving every week, but still has a ways to go.

Ugh to the costume changes coming back

Heidi-I'm liking her more and more each week. I thought this dance was really good. Did someone drop the camera?

Wayne-No words, just wow. Thank you Bruno!

Selma-I'm sorry she had to go out like that, but I'm glad she's taking care of herself and doing what she needs to do to stay as healthy as she can

• Love 4

Was anyone else bothered that they had Selma dance, then go UP the stairs for an interview, then back DOWN the stairs for another interview…. As someone else with a chronic condition who has a cane, stairs are hard, y’all! 😳🤦🏻‍♀️

• Like 3
  • Applause 3
  • Love 12

Beautiful way to conclude Selma's time on the show AND a benefit for DWTS now being on Disney+ is that they gave Selma the FULL time she deserved for her send-off. ABC would have barely given her 10 minutes, rushing through her dance and post-interviews because of time. 

I will miss Selma but she definitely went out on the highest possible note. And of course they held off for Selma getting the first perfect score of the season. Very much well deserved, too.

I'm not a fan of Charli, I'm not rooting for her in any way, BUT her dance tonight was the break-out dance she needed. She does seem like a very nice girl, boring but nice. I can't imagine how the quick growth of her fame as a minor has impacted her, AND she basically has to carry the family because she earns more than them (the family only has a reality show because of Charli; her sister is only famous because of Charli. That's a lot of pressure for a teen to feel like they're essentially carrying the family right now). Yes, it's a very privileged problem and her choice (to an extent) but she is still very, very young and I recognize her fame could disappear as easily as it appeared; the Kardashians, they are not. Mark delivered on the choreography, finally starting to reach the levels I've expected him to. He's always excellent with storytelling, that's for sure. I think she's starting to come in on her own here.

I know my own biases with not liking Charli is her road to fame and how boring her family is, so it's why I can't shake that off when watching her. But I think I'll grow to appreciate her dances down the road, and this one was technically excellent. Yes, in her wheelhouse, but still a stand-out dance in general, regardless of it being from a ringer. This will far be from the last time we see a ringer on this show.

Daniel and Britt's dance (accompanied by Gabe!) was very well done. I absolutely adore their partnership and continue to love seeing them on here. It's a shame he'll likely be knocked out at semis, because I would love to see their Freestyle. 

Shangela continues to get underscored, no surprise there. No way was her dance on the same level as Trevor and Vinny's. Her dance wasn't perfect, but at LEAST deserved a 9 if Trevor and Vinny got all 8s. 

Gabby's dance was very well done but I tend to forget about her once she's done. 

Heidi is a good technical dancer; she just needs to work on connection, similar to what I've said about Charli earlier this season. And I worry Heidi will take the fourth place spot for a non-battle between her and her daughter, as Heidi can't place any higher than fourth.

Jordin's dance was fun, but...not a salsa. I think she was overscored and Brandon failed on the choreography. She's going to go way too soon because he can't seem to get her past other celebs in dancing. 

Joseph's rumba was great, his best dance to date. But no, CAI, it's NOT the best male ruma, not by a long shot. It was good, it was enjoyable, it was not a top rumba.

Jessie just...needs to go. I am now convinced she will go against ANYONE should she hit the bottom two, even against Vinny. Because man, when the judges praise her, they don't sound excited, almost like it's a chore to come up with praise. I really think they're sick of her and want her to just go, even if it means keeping Vinny and Trevor around longer. 

• Love 4
17 hours ago, Josh371982 said:

The BARF "Social Media Megastar" from Tik Tok must be praised and glide to the finals.

Let's not forget about Mark - production is anxious to secure his path to the finals as rumor has it he only agreed to come back if he had Charli. Gotta keep him happy and on board too. The fix is on! I am still salty Wayne was not given at least one 10 for last week - I felt his Hamilton dance was more emotional than this contemporary from Charli and Mark. I guess I have seen too many of these kind of dances from years of watching So You Think You Can Dance. I'm over it.

I thought Gabby, Heidi, Travis, Shangela and Joseph had really good weeks. Daniel was fine, but again, I am tired of contemporary. Jessie is mediocre and forgettable. I can't remember anything about her dances as soon as she finishes dancing. Unfortunately, I feel kind of the same with Jordin even though I like her. I feel like she might be better if she had a better partner.

I don't know what the judges are drinking with Vinny. He is absolutely terrible. I hope he goes tonight. Koko is adorable though.

Selma leaving was sad - what a terrible disease! Prayers for rest and recuperation <3

Edited by Ilovepie
  • Like 1
  • Love 5
18 hours ago, Josh371982 said:

You said perfectly why I don't have any real sympathy for Charli. WTF does she expect. Shes famous for being a Tik Tok Dancer and sadly Tik Tok must be sucked off by Judges and Production. SHOCKER the Production Choice got 3 10's with something that's Her Speciality! Sucks seeing her glide through every week, given tounge baths by Judges and Production. She needs to be a shock boot. Being a "Social Media Megastar" emits no rooting ability for me. Gross that her Tik Tok followers even if they don't watch will get her the win 

I am expecting she will receive a perfect 40 tonight and win the dance marathon.  

6 minutes ago, Packerbrewerbadger said:

Best male rumba of all times:  Emmett Smith with Cheryl, hands down 😉.     Duh Carrie Ann, I hate it when judges say that !

You’re welcome! 😄

I don't know if that was the best ever, but it was fantastic, and for me anyway there was way more "spark" between Emmett and Cheryl than between Joseph and can't remember who he's dancing with.  <lol>  Sorry, I'm drawing a complete blank.  Anyway, I think that may be what bothered me about his rhumba last night.  I just didn't get any of that "steaminess" you should get in a good rhumba.  He was doing the steps and the moves, but I wasn't really feeling it.  Now Emmett and Cheryl just sizzled!  Thanks for that blast from the past!

• Love 3

Emmett had some really great hip action in that Rhumba!

13 minutes ago, LadyMustang65 said:

I am expecting she will receive a perfect 40 tonight and win the dance marathon.  

Oh I hope the judges don't bathe the tiktok ladies in glory again tonight! The rest of the cast will start to feel they have no chance whatsoever. Does Disney have some connection to tiktok?

• Love 1
3 hours ago, LadyMustang65 said:

I don't know if that was the best ever, but it was fantastic, and for me anyway there was way more "spark" between Emmett and Cheryl than between Joseph and can't remember who he's dancing with.  <lol>  Sorry, I'm drawing a complete blank.  Anyway, I think that may be what bothered me about his rhumba last night.  I just didn't get any of that "steaminess" you should get in a good rhumba.  He was doing the steps and the moves, but I wasn't really feeling it.  Now Emmett and Cheryl just sizzled!  Thanks for that blast from the past!

I fully expect a perfect 40, winning Dance Marathon and being named Queen for the "Social Media Megastar"  BARF! 

3 hours ago, Melonie77 said:

Emmett had some really great hip action in that Rhumba!

Oh I hope the judges don't bathe the tiktok ladies in glory again tonight! The rest of the cast will start to feel they have no chance whatsoever. Does Disney have some connection to tiktok?

Social Media "stars" must be praised and don't forget the Scumtrashians have shown support for Charli and Heidi and they must be praised as well BARF. Kartrashians show is on Hulu 

• Like 1

The tik tok kid has no discernable personality. I appreciate Mark's choreo, but that "anxiety" dance seemed like a total knock off of the famous addiction number "Gravity" from Kayla and Kupono on So You Think You Can Dance. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, TVbitch said:

The tik tok kid has no discernable personality. I appreciate Mark's choreo, but that "anxiety" dance seemed like a total knock off of the famous addiction number "Gravity" from Kayla and Kupono on So You Think You Can Dance. 

Yes. And it wasn't even a tenth as good as the Gravity dance.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, TVbitch said:

100!!!!!!!! Thank you! That's all I could think when I watched it. Same dance with 80% less personality!

• Love 3
On 10/17/2022 at 11:44 PM, boyznkatz said:

That’s cool that Gabby was an ICU nurse during the pandemic. She was a lot more interesting this week. Vinny, Trevor and Joseph can go any time now.

Ugh, Charli is so phony. Are we supposed to feel sorry for you being a millionaire at 18 for doing nothing? Go away already!

I was really happy that Gabby's most memorable year wasn't something dumb like going on the Bachelor/ette or becoming and NFL cheerleader, but was something truly noteworthy. I liked her well enough on the Bachelor shows, but I'm really enjoying her here.

I just watched Shangela and Gleb.  It looks like, at the end of the dance when she is so emotional, he went and brought her mom over.  Dammit, I’m really liking a Gleb this year.  

I think part of the issues people have had with Gleb in the past is that he seemed skeevy with his female partners and the twist of him dancing with Shangela has eliminated that element. He's been eminently more tolerable and downright likable this season, that's been a nice change. 

In the vacuum created by Gleb suddenly being likable, I have fixed my hate laser on that irritating troupe guy who's constantly mugging and trying to grab the camera lens with his over dancing and winking. I hope he doesn't become one of the regular pros.

• Like 3
On 10/19/2022 at 7:51 PM, ljenkins782 said:

I have fixed my hate laser on that irritating troupe guy who's constantly mugging and trying to grab the camera lens with his over dancing and winking. I hope he doesn't become one of the regular pros.

I mentioned this in a previous post, saying that he gives me Jenna vibes 🤣

I don’t get the Charli hate. They’ve had stupid social media/reality for years. I just watched the Disney+ memorable dances clip and I forgot Kim Kardashian was on. Ringers have always been part of the show. Charli was a dancer who never found fame. Now she is a little “famous” and is probably amazed to be considered a star on the show. I give her grace.

She is certainly not winning anyone over with her personality (like really!? This dead-in-the-eyes girl has a show?), but she’s a great dancer. But great dancing alone wont win it—you have to win over an audience….or I guess maybe her millions of fans will? Anyway, I enjoy her dances with Mark. Is it because of Mark’s awesome choreography? Probably. But is she executing it very well to create great dances? Also yes. I’m not voting for her, but I do enjoy her dances. I hope she sticks around. 

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Sd601 said:

I don’t get the Charli hate. They’ve had stupid social media/reality for years. I just watched the Disney+ memorable dances clip and I forgot Kim Kardashian was on. Ringers have always been part of the show. Charli was a dancer who never found fame. Now she is a little “famous” and is probably amazed to be considered a star on the show. I give her grace.

She is certainly not winning anyone over with her personality (like really!? This dead-in-the-eyes girl has a show?), but she’s a great dancer. But great dancing alone wont win it—you have to win over an audience….or I guess maybe her millions of fans will? Anyway, I enjoy her dances with Mark. Is it because of Mark’s awesome choreography? Probably. But is she executing it very well to create great dances? Also yes. I’m not voting for her, but I do enjoy her dances. I hope she sticks around. 

I don’t hate Charli, but I’m definitely not enjoying her at all. I know they’ve had ringers on before, but for some reason she annoys me even more than some of the others. Which is a little odd because they’re not trying to hide how much she’s a ringer. They’ve admitted she has had considerable training - and not just training, but training in ballroom. Still, it bothers me when they give her back-to-back dances she’s specifically trained in - that Charli boasts are in her wheelhouse - and then the judges fall all over themselves with praise and act shocked - shocked I tell you - that she looks like a professional. Well, duh, she basically is a professional. It’s even harder to swallow when simultaneously you have Carrie-Ann telling someone like Vinnie that he is who this show is about; someone with no training learning as they go. 

• Like 2
  • Love 3