Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E06: Frenemies - Chapter Six: The Betrayal

Trini
  • Start Topic

After learning that Courtney has been spending time with Cameron, Pat and Barbara go on a recon mission to see if the Mahkents pose a threat. Meanwhile, Sylvester steps in to fill the void left by Courtney, and tensions between Yolanda and Cindy reach new heights.

Lea Thompson directed the episode written by Alfredo Septien & Turi Meyer.

Airdate: 10/12/2022

So is that supposed to be Mr. Bones doing a jigsaw puzzle of his own face, or one of his lackeys?  I suppose that's one way to pass the time, and it looks like he may be making an appearance soon.  About time too, since this season is about half over and the show seems to be spinning its wheels a bit.

Meanwhile, it's clear the JSA needs either Pat or Sylvester (the calm version) around during team meetings.  A rational adult would help cut through the judgemental stuff and focus on the important things.  You're really going to let Cindy just wander off?  Either you think she's a murderer or she's transforming into something potentially dangerous, so maybe work on that instead of bitching about the secrets and lies.  Courtney really shouldn't be surprised this blew up in her face - Yolanda even mentioned how this sort of thing went last season.  So now they just need a quick trip to the Shadowlands and all will be forgiven.

• Like 2

So the Crocks take the donuts and cereal and all yummy breakfast stuff and just leave stuff for juice? Pat and Barb don’t lock the house? There are healthier breakfast items but that is a huge boundary issue.

Court is helping a Cameron use his icy power for art. Grandma and Gramps will let him know about his dad. How nice for Pat and Barb to take the unwanted fruit and then get the lutefisk delicacy. Tea would have been fine. Nice hosts to not poison the guests.

I liked Yolanda talking in the confessional about forgiveness for what she was planning to do - the Cindy fight. The priest doesn’t know about the Blue Valley weirdness?

Sylvester and/or Pat are needed to be the calm voice of reason for the new JSA. I did get the impression that Pat was a bit jealous of Starman taking his place with his stepdaughter. Cindy does need help or she will turn into a villain. No idea who is watching everyone.

Edited by Frozendiva

Sylvester's still sus to me.  Everything got wrapped up too nicely, not completely trusting him.

Cindy was right to tear into the JSA.  Yolanda and Rick went immediately into "Kill Cindy" mode, and never once asked her why she had the laptop.  And Courtney wants everybody to be honest, while hiding she's teaching Icicle's son to control his powers.  All that the JSA needed to do was go to Cindy and say "We know you have the laptop.  Why do you have it", and boom, it's done.  Cindy could show that she's looking for answers as to what her shitbrain father did to her.

• Like 3
7 hours ago, Jediknight said:

Sylvester's still sus to me.  Everything got wrapped up too nicely, not completely trusting him.

Cindy was right to tear into the JSA.  Yolanda and Rick went immediately into "Kill Cindy" mode, and never once asked her why she had the laptop.  And Courtney wants everybody to be honest, while hiding she's teaching Icicle's son to control his powers.  All that the JSA needed to do was go to Cindy and say "We know you have the laptop.  Why do you have it", and boom, it's done.  Cindy could show that she's looking for answers as to what her shitbrain father did to her.

Yolanda and Rick are honestly annoying this season. I get not trusting Cindy, but I'm tired of their judging. Especially when it comes to Cameron. "His father was a villain, so he is one too."  Henry Jr. father literally was a villain, but he wasn't evil like him. It's like they forgot.

And even if Cindy told them about the laptop in the beginning, Courtney and Beth probably would be the only ones who be on her side. Yolanda and Rick would just push for her to be kicked off the team.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

The episode was good and showed a few moral dilemmas. I didn't like too much how the whole thing ended, though. Yes, Courtney should have been more open to her friends about what she was doing with Cameron. But I would have liked to have the focus much more on the fact that Yolanda and Rick actually went out and try to kill Cindy. I would have liked for Courtney actually fly in and protect Cindy from Yolanda and Rick and ask them whether they think that what they were trying to do here was any form of justice, which the "J" in their team name implies. That could have been a pretty powerful Stargirl moment.

The other stuff needed to come out, too and Courtney needed to learn a lesson about mutual trust. But I generally don't like it when the bigger moral issue is swept under the rug in favour of "more drama". Courtney was not honest, yes, but she was trying to help someone. Yolanda and Rick went out and tried to kill someone. Leaving that uncommented doesn't sit right with me.

Edited by Lambsilencer
  • Love 3
10 hours ago, Jediknight said:

After everything built at the end to how great he was, I was expecting the last shot to show he was the voyeur.

4 hours ago, opus said:

After everything built at the end to how great he was, I was expecting the last shot to show he was the voyeur.

Me too. Hopefully Pat is keeping his friends close and his enemies closer. He is old enough to be more suspicious than the teens.

I too would have liked Court standing up for Cindy.

You're not getting me that easily, Show -- just because Sylvester acts normal for one episode it doesn't mean I trust him!

I'm glad this one was more focused on the teens; and that there was a bit of momentum with murder and surveillance plots. Although, we're halfway through the season, and there are still very few clues.

I kinda want to root for Cindy, but then she's still being so shady, distrustful, and mean. I mean, Courtney is literally your only friend right now, why would you burn that bridge?

Of course the thing with Courtney & Cameron was going blow up when the rest of the JSA found out. I just don't like that Courtney and Yolanda are at odds for a second season in a row. I expect Cameron might turn to the dark side at some point, but I really hope they don't make him a full villain.

How much do the Mahkents know about Courtney and JSA? I don't think it's been explicit if they know about her being Stargirl.

Okay Zeke is funny, but can we please PLEASE give Mike and Jakeem something with substance? (Well, more Jakeem since at least Mike gets the occasional family scene.)

With Beth downloading Gambler's files, and discovering the surveillance, I hope she's gets to be more active in the stories.

• Love 1

Just when you're convinced Sylvester is a giant jackass, he comes through with a sympathetic story and a heartwarming pep talk.  Very confusing,

I feel bad for Cindy, I agree with others here that Rick and Yolando are too judgmental.  

I feel like the puzzle with the shadowy face should be cluing us in to who the voyeur is.  Maybe if I was more familiar with the comics...

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I really hope Cindy isn’t lost. I would prefer she stay in the grey area and not go full villain but wow the JSA are not even trying to help or offer any sympathy. 
I hate the fact it needs to be spelled out in detail for the group that Cindy was looking for a cure and desperately needs help. She wasn’t raised the same way everyone else was, she’s a product of abuse and torture. Logical people would assume this but not this group. She striking out at Courtney I think because she feels Cort should have clued in but then Cort waffles and Cindy is left hurt.

Yolanda and Rick are the worst.

I can see Rick becoming the bully and abuser his uncle was now that he has super strength all the time. Yolanda is just as bad as her parents when it comes to being judgmental and restrictive. Ironically they both seem to be mirror images while Cameron and Cindy are trying to be different than the parents they had.

The Crocks strike again! I mean they mean well but you don’t steal food from your buddy house. 

The Survailance thing is creepy. I’m puzzled why Beth didn’t just shut it down with the goggles? And yes Mr Bones really does need to step into the picture . Somehow I think he is manipulating this situation with the group. 

Yeah, unless I'm forgetting something, Cameron really hasn't show anything attitude wise that should be making Yolanda and Rick assume the worst of him.  Granted, Courtney really did screw up by keeping his powers a secret for as long as she did (and letting them find out from someone who wasn't her), but they really seem to base their decision making on some kind of odd "If your parent was evil, you are too!" logic, which.... I mean, have they looked at themselves?  None of their parents or guardians are full-fledge supervillains, but if a child is destined to always be like their parents/those who raised them, then neither Yolanda or Rick are going to be really good adults.  Maybe they should think on that.

As for Cindy, I can understand that a little bit more since she has really done a lot of bad shit to them in the past (and, in Yolanda's case, even before the whole heroing thing) and she certainly has not approach this in a good way at all, but even then, they just need to be more logical about it.  If they really think she's the killer, they should have been trying to find a way to capture her and question her: not just start brawling in the neighborhood (good thing the neighbors in Blue Valley sleep like rocks and didn't wake up to any of that racket!)  Really weird that they would just let Cindy off like that too.

Mike and Jakeem are still making fools of themselves, but I do wonder if this episode will be the catalyst for Cindy to take their offer to form the "Young All-Stars" more seriously.

Sylvester actually comes through with a good pep talk for Courtney!  He seemed strangely level-headed in this episode.

No Crock sightings, but apparently they've taken it upon themselves to just raid the Dugan's pantry and fridge and get rid of all forms of unhealthy food.  Even threw away the light beer!

Despite some of what I said above, I don't really mean it as a negative because I do think the JSA members and their infighting is probably realistic to what would happen if a superhero team-up was made up of mainly teens.  So much drama!

• Love 3

While watching the opening credits, I had to pause to make sure that that was indeed Caroline in the City/Back to the Future Lea Thompson who directed this episode.  It was!  Good for her!

I find Cameron's character to be pretty boring so all of the romantic stuff with him and Courtney isn't really my jam but since it allows more screen time for his much more interesting grandparents, I can tolerate it.  They really need to do something with Yolanda and Rick's characters though, because they're becoming very one note and unlikeable.  Yolanda especially needs something going on in her life that isn't a complete misery.  

And I am totally Team Cindy on that fight.  She tried to reason with Yolanda and didn't even pull out her weapons until both Rick and Yolanda ganged up on her and tried to smush her with a truck.  

I'm also still not convinced that Sylvester is on the up and up.  Something just seems off about him.  He could be the original Sylvester who's traumatized by everything that's happened to him, he could be a clone that doesn't realize he's not the real Sylvester, he could be someone else pretending to be Sylvester for some nefarious purpose, etc.  Just one more mystery in this fairly mysterious season.  

• Love 4

I've been waiting for Sylvester to bring up Henry since he showed up, the talk he had about how much he regrets never getting to meet his nephew before he was killed was really well done. Sylvester actually seemed pretty solid in this episode, he gave Courtney some decent advice and didn't try to attack anyone for some reason and showed some of his tragic backstory, but I am still not sure about him. I do think that he's the real Sylvester, but he is also something of a ticking time bomb. 

Speaking of both Henry AND attacking people for little reason, I am getting so sick of Rick and Yolanda. I can understand them being suspicious of Cindy, especially Yolanda, but they wont even give her a chance and they were WAY too quick to go all out against her even while she was holding back and trying to explain. Cindy should have been honest about what was happening to her, but I can hardly blame her for not telling them the truth, Courtney is the only one who would give her the benefit or the doubt, or even hear her out. And I have no idea why they're so convinced that Cameron must be a bad guy because his dad is, being evil is hardly genetic. Did they forget that Henry's dad was a supervillain and he died saving them? That some of their relatives, Yolanda's parents and Rick's uncle, are pretty awful too? Cameron isn't even a former villain like Cindy, he has a bit of a temper but he mostly seems like a nice normal teenager, the only reason they think he's a villain in the making is because of who his family is, and that's messed up. It even seems like half the reason they think Cindy is destined to always be bad is because of who her dad was, not because of what she's done personally. They're just so judgmental all of the sudden, like damn Yolanda, listen to your priest. 

All of this infighting in the JSA is hard to watch but probably inevitable with a superhero team made up of teenagers. Pat really needs to get back in there more, they really need some of his guidance. 

I hope that with them finding out about the computers that means Beth will get to be in on the action via computers, that's where she really shines. 

I really want Mike and Jakeem to get more to do, maybe Cindy really will join their team? I did love them going to Zeke for romantic advice, Mike looked baffled by the turns this talk was taking while Jakeem seemed pretty enthralled by the fascinating life of Zeke. 

• Love 4

I liked the priest calling out Yolanda on her hypocrisy - too bad the message didn't stick. She and Hourman can go and suck it. 

I'm sure the city gardeners of Blue Valley will appreciate that Courtney chose the park in full bloom as training field for Elsa Cameron. Also: way to keep a secret.

I still wish Cindy would join Jakeem and Mike. At least they're not judgemental asses. 

• Love 1
On 10/13/2022 at 10:48 AM, BeautifulFlower said:

Yolanda and Rick are honestly annoying this season. I get not trusting Cindy, but I'm tired of their judging. Especially when it comes to Cameron. "His father was a villain, so he is one too."  Henry Jr. father literally was a villain, but he wasn't evil like him. It's like they forgot.

And even if Cindy told them about the laptop in the beginning, Courtney and Beth probably would be the only ones who be on her side. Yolanda and Rick would just push for her to be kicked off the team.

Plus, Yolanda is still bitter that Cindy originally tricked her in sending that topless picture to everyone in the school. Which Cindy was told by the ISA to turn Henry Jr away from her to eventually use Henry Jr for their own purposes. Henry admitting he knew about the picture, but never understood why Yolanda took it, but never defender her either. I mean, Cindy would go to Yolanda's parents and be: "It's my fault your daughter took that topless picture, I sent it to the whole school. I was jealous of her and Henry and I wanted Henry." But Cindy can't do that and more reasons why Yolanda doesn't trust her. With Rick, it frustrates me, Geoff Johns has beautifully written Rick in the comics for years, but teenage Rick is so much angst. In the comics, I know why he hated Cameron, but here it's: "Your dad bad! Your grandparents bad! I hate you because you will be bad, but hey forgive Grundy because he was a trained animals who didn't know what he was doing." 

On 10/14/2022 at 9:56 PM, MissLucas said:

I'm sure the city gardeners of Blue Valley will appreciate that Courtney chose the park in full bloom as training field for Elsa Cameron. Also: way to keep a secret.

I think that was actually his home's backyard. (It probably is a park in real life, though.)

• Mind Blown 1

This week: secrets ruin everything! Also, the Crocks wreck breakfast without even having to appear in the episode. How funny would it be if all the rash behaviors turned out to be Crusher & Paula breaking into homes and stealing food they deem unhealthy, and everyone is going through cereal and pancake withdrawal? The only one not affected is Zeke, but he probably feeds off the generosity of the human spirit. That, or he eats varmints. Maybe both things.

I felt for Courtney. The whole season is about giving people a chance, and Cameron her pet project . . . not just because she likes-likes him, but so he doesn't become like his father. I think the third thing is getting Cameron not to find out that Mike ran over his dad with truck. If that fails, then Mike would need to be put into the story . .  .as opposed to now, where he and Jakeem are way too fixated into getting Cindy to join their "Young All-Stars."

Do we know for sure that' Mr. Bones watching? At this point, it would have to be the guy that appeared at the end of last season .  . . the dude with the skull for a head and Keith David's lovely voice. And he probably killed Gambler because there aren't any other viable suspects. Having it be Dragon King or Cindy in her father's thrall would seem so lame.

Is this another thirteen-episode season? That's a shame, since the drag isn't as severe as the past few seasons of The Flash.

Edited by Lantern7
On 10/12/2022 at 9:26 PM, cambridgeguy said:

So is that supposed to be Mr. Bones doing a jigsaw puzzle of his own face...

I know when I'm planning an evil plan that I like to commission a jigsaw puzzle of my face (Etsy?) & slowly put it together.  You know, while I'm biding time planning my evil plan.

• LOL 1