Type keyword(s) to search

Food Chit Chat

• Start Topic

First, Reese's put peanuts (discontinued, alas!) in their peanut butter cups, then cookies, then Reese's Pieces, THEN pretzels and potato chips!

Surely that would be the end?

Reese's laughs at your naiveté!

No, now comes Reese's Peanut Butter Cups stuffed with...

Reese's Puffs Cereal.

I am both horrified, yet strangely intrigued by this combination. I have yet to try it. However, since the price is so cheap here, I may have to prepare my taste buds for new heights...or a nadir of ickiness.

Has anyone here tried this?!

• LOL 1
5 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

First, Reese's put peanuts (discontinued, alas!) in their peanut butter cups, then cookies, then Reese's Pieces, THEN pretzels and potato chips!

Reese's Puffs Cereal.

I am both horrified, yet strangely intrigued by this combination. I have yet to try it. However, since the price is so cheap here, I may have to prepare my taste buds for new heights...or a nadir of ickiness.

I'm an OG Reese's gal. None of that other nonsense for me!

• Like 6
5 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Reese's Puffs Cereal.

I wanted to try it. It was one of my February Rewards at the local Quick Check. "One Free Reese's Big Cup with Reese's Puffs".  And as such, there was never one in stock. Every other big cup stuffed with every other thing was there, but not this one.

In March I'm getting free Planter's peanuts, a free Nesquick any flavor, a free fountain drink or coffee, a free smoothie for my birthday, a dollar off share size M&Ms. I like my chances to cash in on all of my free stuff this month. Nothing too specific.

• Like 1
(edited)

I thought my heat/spice tolerance was high, but I just discovered the end of a jar of kimchi at the back of my fridge that just about blew the top of my head off.  It had been there for at least a couple of years I think and had definitely continued fermenting.

Choi's kimchi - highly recommended, even (especially?) after it's been neglected for a while!  I'm not sure whether it's available outside the Pacific NW.

image.png.a9b0e64f3dcf7341d85bc4dd5ad14951.png

https://www.choiskimchi.com/

Edited by Leeds
  • Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1

I have not seen that at any stores here on the east coast.  But I can get fresh kimchi in my neighborhood, as we have an HMart (Korean or Asian chain supermarket).  The "fresh" kimchi (obviously it's not fresh--it's aged--but it's not bottled/canned) is really out of this world good.  Like you get in a Korean restaurant. 

• Like 1
15 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

I have not seen that at any stores here on the east coast.  But I can get fresh kimchi in my neighborhood, as we have an HMart (Korean or Asian chain supermarket).  The "fresh" kimchi (obviously it's not fresh--it's aged--but it's not bottled/canned) is really out of this world good.  Like you get in a Korean restaurant. 

I went to my local very large and very authentic Korean/Asian supermarket today in search of "fresh" kimchi.  They didn't have anything except the usual jars unfortunately.

I picked up a couple of snacks, but passed on various offerings in the fresh duck department.

Duck head 2.jpg

Duck tongue 2.jpg

• Mind Blown 3

My son is a very sophisticated eater for his age.  He's on March (Spring) Break right now and my parents took him out for lunch.  He said he ate octopus and scallops (along with the kid classic, chicken fingers) and liked it!

• Like 4
22 hours ago, Suzn said:

I didn't get any answers on the Top Chef thread so I thought this was worth a try.  What is caviar cream?

Some sort of face moisturizer, if Mr. Google is to be trusted, LOL!

Seriously, though, it looks like it's the texture of a paté or mousse or something.  Probably caviar blitzed/whipped with other ingredients.  Gross, IMHO.

7 hours ago, Lovecat said:

Some sort of face moisturizer, if Mr. Google is to be trusted, LOL!

Seriously, though, it looks like it's the texture of a paté or mousse or something.  Probably caviar blitzed/whipped with other ingredients.  Gross, IMHO.

Why ruin good (or even not so good) caviar doing that to it?? Yuk!

12 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

Why ruin good (or even not so good) caviar doing that to it?? Yuk!

Or...why punish other ingredients by whipping them with caviar, which is revolting (to me...I know other people love the stuff).

• Like 1
48 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

I made omelets for dinner last night. The first egg I cracked had 2 yolks. I know it can happen, but I've never seen that before.

A while back (just before egg prices shot through the roof) I got a carton of jumbos to make deviled eggs. At least two of them had double yolks!  I can’t remember the last time I’ve seen one in the regular “large” ones I normally buy, though. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

A while back (just before egg prices shot through the roof) I got a carton of jumbos to make deviled eggs. At least two of them had double yolks!  I can’t remember the last time I’ve seen one in the regular “large” ones I normally buy, though. 

This was an Eggland's Best large size egg, which is what I usually buy. Occasionally I buy extra large, but I've never seen 2 yolks before.

• Like 1
On 4/3/2023 at 11:12 AM, chessiegal said:

I made omelets for dinner last night. The first egg I cracked had 2 yolks. I know it can happen, but I've never seen that before.

The first time that happens is really a fun treat.  I found some eggs in a PA farmer's market that were specifically double yolks.  I missed the surprise.

2 hours ago, wilsie said:

The first time that happens is really a fun treat. 

Not if you're like me and only like the white -- a double yolk just means less edible egg.

(While I hate yolks, I also hate food waste, so I always post on NextDoor and Freecycle hoping a neighbor who bakes or otherwise has use for extra yolks will take them, and usually succeed.)

• Like 1
On 4/4/2023 at 1:51 PM, Bastet said:

Not if you're like me and only like the white -- a double yolk just means less edible egg.

(While I hate yolks, I also hate food waste, so I always post on NextDoor and Freecycle hoping a neighbor who bakes or otherwise has use for extra yolks will take them, and usually succeed.)

I've never really understood this, as I'm the opposite.  I don't hate whites, but I find them a bit of a waste of space!  (I do eat them, but generally with lots of something like salsa or hot sauce, whereas I eat the yolk naked apart from a little salt.)

• Like 1

Dealing with my unwanted yolks (I just can't stand the taste of them, even if scrambled with the white) was easy when I was a kid/teen -- we had a cat who loved them.  He could be asleep at the other end of the house, and if he heard an egg being cracked, he'd come running to see if he was going to get the yolk.

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
19 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Dealing with my unwanted yolks (I just can't stand the taste of them, even if scrambled with the white) was easy when I was a kid/teen -- we had a cat who loved them.  He could be asleep at the other end of the house, and if he heard an egg being cracked, he'd come running to see if he was going to get the yolk.

I’m just curious - have you tried the egg whites you can get in a carton?  Are they inferior and/or more expensive than getting whole eggs and dealing with separating them and finding a good home for the yolks?  

I’ve never tried them on their own but my daughter and her family are big egg eaters, and when they have family brunches, they’ll scramble up a dozen or two eggs plus a carton of whites. Tastes great to me, doesn’t hurt that I didn’t have to make it! Also I’m sure all the added cheese more than cancels out any health benefits. 

6 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

I’m just curious - have you tried the egg whites you can get in a carton?  Are they inferior and/or more expensive than getting whole eggs and dealing with separating them and finding a good home for the yolks?

Yeah, I don't care for them; I get eggs from a neighbor with chickens, so the stuff in a carton is no substitute for the whites from those fresh eggs. 

(I buy eggs by the half dozen, usually, sometimes a dozen, and I don't buy them every week; I don't eat enough that I have so many yolks in need of a home it's a problem finding takers.)

• Useful 1

Why don't people on TV cooking shows know that the way to bring water to the boil in a pot/pan most quickly and energy-efficiently is to put the lid on?  (Better yet of course, use an automatic electric kettle, but that's a whole other issue in the US.)

• Like 4
19 minutes ago, Leeds said:

Why don't people on TV cooking shows know that the way to bring water to the boil in a pot/pan most quickly and energy-efficiently is to put the lid on?  (Better yet of course, use an automatic electric kettle, but that's a whole other issue in the US.)

I finally got an electric kettle a couple years ago and I love it!  Wish I’d gotten it years ago!  Much faster and more energy efficient than stove or microwave at boiling water. 

• Like 2
37 minutes ago, Leeds said:

Why don't people on TV cooking shows know that the way to bring water to the boil in a pot/pan most quickly and energy-efficiently is to put the lid on?

Those uncovered pots always boggle my mind, too.

• Like 3
22 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Those uncovered pots always boggle my mind, too.

Especially when the cooks get all frenetic about things not coming to a boil - "OMG, why is it taking so long; we're not going to make it in time, etc."  Another hint?  You probably don't need to fill your pan so full.

Amazing what silly little things bother us, isn't it?

• Like 2

I thought I heard or read somewhere that the pots of water were already simmering /maybe even boiling on the back burner before the chefs started to cook. Maybe I misremembered that, but I seem to recall seeing steaming pots on the stoves at the beginning of each challenge. Maybe something the staff does??

2 hours ago, Leeds said:

Amazing what silly little things bother us, isn't it?

Pet peeves bug me even more when done by people who should know better because of their profession.  Another food example: I dislike hearing mascarpone pronounced with the R moved into the wrong place - "marscapone" - but it drives me downright batty when a chef does it.

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
19 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Pet peeves bug me even more when done by people who should know better because of their profession.  Another food example: I dislike hearing mascarpone pronounced with the R moved into the wrong place - "marscapone" - but it drives me downright batty when a chef does it.

I will admit that I've just had to let "marscapone" go and accept it as part of the evolution of language, otherwise I won't be able to watch too many of my favourite shows.

• LOL 1

What the hell is the point of Flaming Hot Cool Ranch Doritos?  There are gazillion types of spicy Doritos, why couldn't they leave the one non-spicy flavor alone?  And why does the company who fills the snack machines where I work insist on putting the flaming hot ones in there?

• Fire 1
On 3/2/2023 at 9:25 AM, SuprSuprElevated said:

I'm an OG Reese's gal. None of that other nonsense for me!

I actually sort of liked the ones with potato chips because they reminded me of the chocolate-covered potato chips Herrs used to sell.  Although Herrs used locally produced Neuchatel chocolate, but I'll take what I can get.

• Like 1

I've seen this posted in a couple of cooking show threads, so figured I'd post it here:

Food Disgust Test

Christina Hartmann and Michael Siegrist at the Technical University of Zurich have discovered that people’s disgust concerning food can be broken into eight distinct scales. The factors that determine why people differ on the various triggers for food disgust are not well understood, but the authors hope their instrument will contribute to a greater mapping-out of individual differences in this regard.

My results are about what I expected: Your food disgust is very low (12.75%). 

Also unsurprisingly, my disgust at "human contaminants" (other people touching your food or drink, sharing cutlery/glasses, etc.) was a big fat zero.  Everything else I had a little bit of, from the handful of scenarios presented I had any degree of issue with.  My biggest was mold, but I didn't object to any of the "eating something that has had the mold removed" scenarios -- it comes solely from the question asking if you eat blue cheese (nope, can't stand it).

• Useful 1
19 hours ago, Bastet said:

Also unsurprisingly, my disgust at "human contaminants" (other people touching your food or drink, sharing cutlery/glasses, etc.) was a big fat zero.  Everything else I had a little bit of, from the handful of scenarios presented I had any degree of issue with.  My biggest was mold, but I didn't object to any of the "eating something that has had the mold removed" scenarios -- it comes solely from the question asking if you eat blue cheese (nope, can't stand it).

Same here, almost exactly, with that test. I think I was a little higher, but I also got a zero with human contaminants. 

My mold questions I think that got me any score at all were the ones about bread.  I'm pretty much a "If there is a dot of mold on that loaf of bread or one of the rolls in the package, the whole thing goes in the trash." But other than that, not too many things concern me.

19 hours ago, Bastet said:

I've seen this posted in a couple of cooking show threads, so figured I'd post it here:

Food Disgust Test

I'm average.  59.38%.  Mostly about bugs and hygiene.

On 6/1/2023 at 4:19 PM, Bastet said:

Food Disgust Test

I took the test but found it very poorly worded and too open ended. "Do you ear bananas with black spots?"  Bananas in any form, raw, cooked, under/over ripe disgust me so I will never touch them.  Or the ones about shellfish and insects - I keep kosher so would never eat either, and obviously my mouth does not water when I see a whole pig on a "skewer" (I think they mean spit).  What are "irregularly shaped bits of animal meats"?  Do they mean different cuts of meat cooked together, poorly cut-up stewing steak, or what?   I might drink from a glass someone else had drunk from if I know them very well/am closely related to them, but not if they're a total stranger or their Covid status is unclear. So, the test may be fun to take, but it can hardly be classified as scientifically based and researched, as the site claims. 

Sorry, I obviously need to find a life!

• Like 1
(edited)

I’m not sure if this is the right place to post this but-

My mother recently passed away and I am trying to empty out her freezer.  She had several large packages of frozen meats (chicken breasts and pork chops) and I would like to repackage them without defrosting them.  Mom had a Foodsaver sealer but rarely used it because she didn’t want to “waste the bags”(🤷‍♀️), so the food is just in its original store packaging.  Some is at least a year old.  What would be the best way to separate the pieces so that I can put 2 pieces per package to refreeze & cook later?  I will be using the Foodsaver, as she had a zillion bags.

Edited by Mittengirl
  • Hugs 1

First, I'm so sorry for your loss.

Just wondering, can you separate the pieces without thawing them? (Or is that what you meant to type when you wrote "repackage them with defrosting them"?) I think that's what I'd try to do. Here's a page of suggestions, since I'm guessing it all depends on how they're frozen together. Refreezing meat is usually thought of as a bad idea, as it can change the texture.

I hope this helps, and again my condolences. 

(edited)

Thank you, and yes I did mean without defrosting them.  I just need to separate four - six  chops/breasts into sets of two.  I am thinking of dipping a knife tip into boiling water and see if I can then pry them apart, without ending up needing stitches.  

Thank you for the link above!  That has some good tips I am going to try.

Edited by Mittengirl
Just now, Mittengirl said:

Thank you, and yes I did mean without defrosting them.  I just need to separate four - six  chops/breasts into sets of two.  I am thinking of dipping a knife tip into boiling water and see if I can then pry them apart, without ending up needing stitches.

If you don’t find any workable suggestions for separating without thawing, I’m wondering if it might be best to thaw, slice, grill, and refreeze in meal size packages. As I understand it, it’s safe to refreeze if it’s been cooked.

Plus, if some may be a year old, they may not be the highest quality on their own, but serviceable (and safe) in fajitas, casseroles, etc. 

Or - thaw a set of four, use two, and slice/grill/refreeze the other two?

On 6/4/2023 at 2:53 PM, EtheltoTillie said:

Interesting test. I got a 23%. I’ll eat almost anything.  I answered nope to food made of bugs. And limp salad. 

I left mine in the neutral position for the eating bugs one; the statement was "I would never eat those new snacks and dishes that are made from bugs" and I've never had one, nor do I anticipate seeking one out, but can't say there isn't a single one out there I wouldn't ever try.  For example, I know grasshoppers and crickets are a long-standing offering in Mexico (perhaps elsewhere, too, I don't know), so depending on the particular preparation, it's entirely possible I'd eat one of those if offered to me by someone who knew what they were doing. 

For not minding eating a salad that isn't crisp anymore, I picked mildly agree, because it depends on how non-crisp it has become.

• Like 2

Planning a family lunch/brunch get-together for later this summer.  Trying to decide WHERE to get our catering from...and the menu.  Most likely, we'll be ordering from a place close to us and picking up day of.  They have kid-friendly options to cater to the two children who'll actually be eating.  

• Like 1
6 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

You would not say "never" to a bug snack

I suspect some of the popular grasshopper/cricket snacks are just seasoned, breaded, and fried, so there are probably some that don't even look like bugs, and would just be crunchy snacks like so many others.  I don't know, which is why I wouldn't say never to it. 

6 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

but you don't want ketchup on mac and cheese. 

On the other hand, I do know what ketchup tastes like, so I know I wouldn't want it on mac & cheese (or much of anything, really).

• Like 2