Type keyword(s) to search

Food Chit Chat

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, Quof said:

Cookies are fine frozen.  In fact, I prefer to eat them when they're still frozen.  Throw them in ziploc backs, or wrap in plastic wrap/foil. Don't be too fussy with how you freeze them, it really doesn't matter in the short term. 

Yep. If anything, you can "freshen" them up (after freezing) a few seconds in the microwave, or a minute or two in the oven.

• Like 2

I've been nibbling at the chocolate chip, so I doubt that will need freezing. My husband will probably eat the chocolate cookie or I can freeze part of it. Not sure what the other 2 are, I'll have to give them a taste. They arrived mostly intact.

cookies.thumb.jpg.19d575f85c051e41105401b653a65a0d.jpgcookies.thumb.jpg.19d575f85c051e41105401b653a65a0d.jpg

• LOL 2
On 10/30/2023 at 3:08 PM, chessiegal said:

My stepdaughter sent me a variety pack of 4 large cookies, about 4" diameter, from crumbl cookies today. Way too much sweets for the 2 of us. Any thoughts on how well they might freeze?

They freeze quite well. The pantry at which I work just had our 50th Anniversary celebration (50 years of feeding our neighbors in need!) and we got four giant boxes of crumbl cookies (the smaller size - in lemon, chocolate, and chocolate chip) for dessert. I found them much too sweet although textural and flavor-wise they were very good. We had so many left over we froze them, and then repackaged them a week later in groups of eight to give out to our clients for dessert. Everyone working had another one and they were just as good as before freezing. In my opinion, freshly home baked cookies with less sugar are better, particularly given the cost of crumbl!

• Like 3
On 8/1/2023 at 5:08 PM, chessiegal said:

I was watching A Chef's Life today. The theme was peanuts. Vivian remarked and demonstrated that in NC they add peanuts to a bottle of Pepsi. I asked my native Alabama husband if they did that in Alabama. He answered - no, then followed it with - we added peanuts to bottles of Coke. 😁

Yep, it's a thing in Mississippi, too (although I don't think I've ever done it myself).  And I seem to remember relatives in North Carolina who did it.  From what I understand, Coke is best but an RC Cola is an acceptable substitute (preferably with a Moon Pie in the other hand).

• Like 1

Every once in a while I remember to throw  some lightly salted peanuts in my glass of Coke. It brings back a memory of putting peanuts in those original small bottles of Coca Cola with the kid next door out at the lake (back in the day when kids had no internet, too young to drive, no money anyway, and the grown ups were enjoying their Tom Collins on the porch next door). We played "War", Monopoly,  &  had fun 💚🏊🌲

• Like 3

I have three work-related holiday parties this coming week.  I did have one other potluck on campus last week, but it wasn't technically work-related.  I brought deviled eggs to that one.  I planned to bring deviled eggs to my Monday event, so I picked up two dozen eggs at the store on Friday (I usually get the 18 egg carton, but the store I went to didn't have those).  When I got home I looked in the fridge for more eggs, because I remembered (duh!) that had a sour cream pound cake to bake for a Thursday lunch (which requires 6 eggs) and more deviled eggs for the big campus luncheon on Friday. I didn't see any (although I could have sworn that I picked some up), so I went back to a different store on Saturday to get more eggs (and a few other things). In anticipation of more baking and cooking as we get closer to Christmas, I picked up three (!) 18 egg cartons.  I don't think I've ever bought that many eggs at one time in my life (not even for Easter to dye eggs for something).  To top it off, when I got home I spotted the 18 egg carton that I knew I had bought sitting in a grocery bag on the top of the microwave.  So, now I have enough eggs to feed the neighborhood (LOL!).  I should be set for holiday cooking/baking, though. 

Today's chore is to boil the eggs for tomorrow's brunch and to assemble the deviled eggs before I go to bed (I won't have time tomorrow morning to get them done).  And if I can find the energy (I'm also doing some major deep cleaning of my house) I'm going to bake an eggnog pound cake to take (that's easy though, since it starts with a boxed mix). 

• Like 3
On 12/10/2023 at 11:13 AM, BooksRule said:

I'm going to bake an eggnog pound cake to take (that's easy though, since it starts with a boxed mix). 

Good luck using up all those...could that be 96 eggs or did I get confused?  Although, deviled eggs are so good!  I could eat a lot of them easily.

Where is there a recipe for eggnog pound cake?  It sounds delicious.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Good luck using up all those...could that be 96 eggs or did I get confused?  Although, deviled eggs are so good!  I could eat a lot of them easily.

Where is there a recipe for eggnog pound cake?  It sounds delicious.

Yes, that's a lot of eggs.  They'll get used up by Christmas, what with extra baking and cooking that I don't usually do.  I used 18 of them for deviled eggs for a party today and plan to use 2 more for the eggnog pound cake tonight.  I will use 6 more for a sour cream pound cake for a Thursday party and another 18 for more deviled eggs for Friday.  Eggs that are left will get used up in another cake or two for family Christmas stuff and I plan to make more deviled eggs and potato salad as well.  I got one of my eggs this morning, but the rest were gone soon so I didn't have any leftover to bring back for myself (which is a good thing, I guess.  I guess I make a decent deviled egg).

The Eggnog Pound Cake is easy because although I like to bake pound cakes from scratch, this one uses a box mix as the base:

1 pkg. Pound Cake Mix

1 1/4 C. prepared eggnog (I just used name brand in bottle or carton)

2 large eggs

1/2 t. fresh grated nutmeg (if you use powdered, you might have adjust the taste and check online for how much to use)

1/2 t. vanilla

Beat all ingredients together until combined. Then mix a medium speed for 2 minutes. Pour into a greased loaf pan (I use a fairly large one), and bake for 1 hour (or maybe a little more) in a 350 degree oven. Check after one hour and bake a little longer if necessary. Cool for 10 minutes in pan and the turn out of pan to fully cool.

(I also found one that had an eggnog glaze on it, but I haven't made that part yet.  It was just confectioners sugar and eggnog.  And probably some more nutmeg. Just enough to make a pourable glaze.)

• Thanks 4
  • Useful 1
24 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

@BooksRule Could I use a Bundt pan instead of a loaf pan?  I don't have a large loaf pan.  And, I'm wondering if adding a teence of cream cheese in the glaze might be ok?  Or, would that be messing with the good glaze?

The back of the pound cake mix does have directions for baking it in a bundt pan, so you would probably be okay.  You might just want to watch the time, since it is a revised version and not the one that's on the box (substituting eggnog for the butter). I'm not sure about the glaze, but a little cream cheese never hurt anyone, in my opinion (I think that's why my deviled eggs are reasonably popular. I put about 1/4 block of softened cream cheese in every batch I make).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

I suppose this fits here. Our county banned plastic shopping bags starting January 1 - yay! They said stores could offer free paper and reusable bags until February 1. When I went to the store today, I wondered if anyone had been living under a rock and was surprised. When I was in the parking lot there was a woman with her purchases unbagged in her cart. She looked at me and said she forgot her bags. 😆 They had paper bags available. I think I would have used them. After February 1, paper bags will cost 10 cents each. I'm not sure where that money goes to - the county? My bags have gotten ratty, so I ordered a set of 4 from Amazon that say they have sturdy handles.

• Applause 3
On 1/2/2024 at 3:37 PM, chessiegal said:

I suppose this fits here. Our county banned plastic shopping bags starting January 1 - yay! They said stores could offer free paper and reusable bags until February 1. When I went to the store today, I wondered if anyone had been living under a rock and was surprised. When I was in the parking lot there was a woman with her purchases unbagged in her cart. She looked at me and said she forgot her bags. 😆 They had paper bags available. I think I would have used them. After February 1, paper bags will cost 10 cents each. I'm not sure where that money goes to - the county? My bags have gotten ratty, so I ordered a set of 4 from Amazon that say they have sturdy handles.

New York State has banned plastic bags for years now.  They continue to allow you to purchase paper bags for 5 cents.  Most people bring reusable bags, but I am always surprised to see people purchasing paper bags at the register as if they indeed have been living under a rock.  I always try to figure out what's going through their mind.  It's one thing if you can tell--oh, I forgot my bags today.  But it usually seems they just want to continue getting new bags and not even caring.  It's so thoughtless.

• Like 2

Incidentally, I like to use giant IKEA blue bags for the grocery store.

Fresh Direct reusable bags are good too (not sure if all of you have Fresh Direct in your regions).  I don't use Fresh Direct, but my neighbors do, so I get bags from them. 

Looks like people sell the Fresh Direct bags on ebay!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/155932932151?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&mkscid=101&itemid=155932932151&targetid=1529493962782&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9129394&poi=&campaignid=19851828444&mkgroupid=145880009014&rlsatarget=pla-1529493962782&abcId=9307249&merchantid=114779642&gclid=CjwKCAiA-vOsBhAAEiwAIWR0TcVTo_c8K5WtdsM1C5sG_j4e2tyvdQPZ81pXUf-u9n71wHDxLb_B0BoC4PwQAvD_BwE

• Useful 1

I found some bags on Amazon that I really like. They are rectangular and sit flat when you open them. The checker had an easy job filling them. They fold up for easy storage.

bags_.jpg

• Useful 2

I've been using canvas grocery bags for nearly 30 years, and had two that were that old, but they both finally wore out last year.  They were from a grocery store that went out of business 20 years ago, and there were many times when someone in line behind me, or the checker, would see the bags and say "I still miss that store!" 

29 minutes ago, EtheltoTillie said:

Incidentally, I like to use giant IKEA blue bags for the grocery store.

I used to use one of those when I dragged myself to the mall to go Christmas shopping, but I don't buy as much anymore so I take a smaller bag to put everything in now.  I still use it to haul all the wrapped/bagged gifts over to my parents' house on Christmas Eve, though.

• Like 2
(edited)
3 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I've been using canvas grocery bags for nearly 30 years, and had two that were that old, but they both finally wore out last year.  They were from a grocery store that went out of business 20 years ago, and there were many times when someone in line behind me, or the checker, would see the bags and say "I still miss that store!" 

I used to use one of those when I dragged myself to the mall to go Christmas shopping, but I don't buy as much anymore so I take a smaller bag to put everything in now.  I still use it to haul all the wrapped/bagged gifts over to my parents' house on Christmas Eve, though.

I've actually been using various totes for years myself.  When I shop in the suburbs, I have the large bags in the car.  When I shop at the supermarket in NYC after work, I don't buy that much and I just use my canvas work tote that I'm already carrying from the office.  If I go from home to shop in the city, I sometimes take the old lady wire shopping cart! 

My shopping cart looks like this.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/DMI-Folding-Shopping-Cart-640-8213-0200/203284005?source=shoppingads&locale=en-US&srsltid=AfmBOoqPi_ieOQOQnOsAueGTgUNcubblHw8ylkCPJ6_zGHTAFWA0JfAPba4

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • Like 2
3 minutes ago, EtheltoTillie said:

I sometimes take the old lady wire shopping cart! 

I have one like that; it was my grandma's.  I generally only walk to the store if I'm just picking up a few things, not for my weekly shopping, but if my weekly shopping is light enough I don't need the car but more than I want to carry, and it's nice weather for walking, I use that cart.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, EtheltoTillie said:

If I go from home to shop in the city, I sometimes take the old lady wire shopping cart! 

1 hour ago, Bastet said:

I have one like that; it was my grandma's

In fact, my family calls those "bubbie carts".  When I lived in the city, I used one, but now since I live in Goatville (yes, there are goats next door!), I drive.  I mostly use the bright orange Orioles tote bags I got at Camden Yards as a season-ticket holder party gift.  They're sturdy, and large enough to hold most everything I buy in one trip. 

• Like 2

I use the BeeGreen grocery bags. They're SUPER strong and fold up into a neat little pouch. We've been no plastic bags for years, and I've been using my set of bags for the entire time.  Back when I bought them, there was like one pattern that wasn't flowers, so mine are constellations. If there were any reason at all for me to get new ones, I would definitely get this pattern:

bags.jpg

• Like 1
  • Useful 3
15 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

New York State has banned plastic bags for years now.  They continue to allow you to purchase paper bags for 5 cents.  Most people bring reusable bags, but I am always surprised to see people purchasing paper bags at the register as if they indeed have been living under a rock.  I always try to figure out what's going through their mind.  It's one thing if you can tell--oh, I forgot my bags today.  But it usually seems they just want to continue getting new bags and not even caring.  It's so thoughtless.

I use reusable shopping bags, but get the paper ones occasionally to store the paper recycling. But there is only so much I can carry in a paper bag before worrying it's going to tear.

• Like 2
On 1/10/2024 at 5:53 AM, JTMacc99 said:

I use the BeeGreen grocery bags. They're SUPER strong and fold up into a neat little pouch. We've been no plastic bags for years, and I've been using my set of bags for the entire time.  Back when I bought them, there was like one pattern that wasn't flowers, so mine are constellations. If there were any reason at all for me to get new ones, I would definitely get this pattern:

bags.jpg

Please ignore me if this is hopelessly Lady Bountiful-esque, but how about you gradually fill your original, perfectly serviceable bags with donations for the food bank?  Then once you get down to your last couple, you should be able to justify treating yourself to the cute turtles.  (Or whatever the next design is - polar bears anyone?)

Our local food bank has a list of most desired items - there are lots of eminently affordable items like beans.  

https://www.oregon.gov/fooddrive/Posters/most-wanted-foods-poster.pdf

• Like 1

Interestingly, my supermarket has food bank items already bagged up in paper bags. They're labeled with how much you're donating. So as I'm checking out, I can just grab a $5 bag or a $10 bag, scan it, and then drop it off in the collection area on the way out of the store.

It's a really good idea, and it gets a lot more activity than asking people to remember to pick up something while they're shopping and then drop off that item in the food bank collection area.

• Like 8

And along these lines (I work at a food pantry twice a week and also sit on the Board of Directors), please remember that although food is nice (particularly if you are donating something the food bank says it needs) money is very much better. Any food bank/pantry can buy significantly more with a dollar than you can because they buy in bulk - so your can of tuna would be three cans of the same size for a food bank and it is easier to give out if they have all cans of the same size and variety. Just something to keep in mind!

• Like 5
On 1/25/2024 at 3:55 PM, isalicat said:

And along these lines (I work at a food pantry twice a week and also sit on the Board of Directors), please remember that although food is nice (particularly if you are donating something the food bank says it needs) money is very much better. Any food bank/pantry can buy significantly more with a dollar than you can because they buy in bulk - so your can of tuna would be three cans of the same size for a food bank and it is easier to give out if they have all cans of the same size and variety. Just something to keep in mind!

Thanks for posting this.  As you know, it's a perennial discussion point - money's always best, but a can of tuna is hopefully better than zero cents.  People will happily ignore a request for money but gladly throw an extra can of tuna in the food bank bin.*  Human nature I suppose.

*  And at least there's the expectation that it's something they just bought.  Don't ask me about used (AKA dirty) underwear that people donate at more generic drop-off sites.

• Like 2
11 hours ago, Ancaster said:

Thanks for posting this.  As you know, it's a perennial discussion point - money's always best, but a can of tuna is hopefully better than zero cents.  People will happily ignore a request for money but gladly throw an extra can of tuna in the food bank bin.*  Human nature I suppose.

*  And at least there's the expectation that it's something they just bought.  Don't ask me about used (AKA dirty) underwear that people donate at more generic drop-off sites.

We (the food pantry with which I work) do appreciate any donation, but the two issues which perennially arise are:

(1) people donate stuff they bought and reconsidered using or stuff they have been gifted - so a lot of very peculiar and one-off food items that are not particularly useful as a nutritional, fresh and/or staple food for a hungry family.

(2) at least once a month someone dies, their families clean out their kitchen cupboards and bring us endless food that expired anywhere from 2 to 20 years ago (I kid you not). We also have recently been given survivalist food - i.e. dehydrated everything in giant cans (these actually went to a place that makes meals for Meals on Wheels - they do enough volume to find this useful).

I just went through this discussion with my new parish pastor, who has revived our food donation program, and his decision was based on exactly what you said. I'm not going to say no way, of course! He is emphasizing getting stuff we can use (rice, tuna, peanut butter) so its all good. 😸

• Like 3
8 hours ago, isalicat said:

We (the food pantry with which I work) do appreciate any donation, but the two issues which perennially arise are:

(1) people donate stuff they bought and reconsidered using or stuff they have been gifted - so a lot of very peculiar and one-off food items that are not particularly useful as a nutritional, fresh and/or staple food for a hungry family.

(2) at least once a month someone dies, their families clean out their kitchen cupboards and bring us endless food that expired anywhere from 2 to 20 years ago (I kid you not). We also have recently been given survivalist food - i.e. dehydrated everything in giant cans (these actually went to a place that makes meals for Meals on Wheels - they do enough volume to find this useful).

I just went through this discussion with my new parish pastor, who has revived our food donation program, and his decision was based on exactly what you said. I'm not going to say no way, of course! He is emphasizing getting stuff we can use (rice, tuna, peanut butter) so its all good. 😸

When my (depression era) in-laws finally agreed to give up their Co-op City apartment it took my husband and his sister a week to clean it out.  Amongst other things they uncovered was a gigantic, never-used, early prototype microwave that was stored in the "spare" room because my mother-in-law was afraid of it.   And a closetful of Kraft macaroni and cheese "just in case".

I guess they checked off both your boxes!

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

https://www.buzzfeed.com/hannahloewentheil/cooking-ingredients-that-make-big-difference-gd

I've used anchovy paste in marinara...it helps. And pure maple sugar is great in vinaigrettes. I've also used sambal oulek in spaghetti sauce ever since I had a delicious seafood sauce in an Italian restaurant in Stockholm. I asked the waiter what made it so delicious and he said sambal oulek.  These are interesting additions to recipes.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Ancaster said:

Help!  Has anyone found a way to successfully clean glass top electric stoves once something has boiled over/burned onto the surface?

My parents have one of those, and for that or anything else that won't come off with elbow grease, we use a single-edged razor blade (in a holder like the one I have at home; both are similar to this [you don't need one, but it's easier to control and it's just nice to keep your fingers farther away from the blade]).  If you're not used to using one, so aren't sure of the angle at which to hold it, you might want to watch an instructional video first.

1 hour ago, Bastet said:

My parents have one of those, and for that or anything else that won't come off with elbow grease, we use a single-edged razor blade (in a holder like the one I have at home; both are similar to this [you don't need one, but it's easier to control and it's just nice to keep your fingers farther away from the blade]).  If you're not used to using one, so aren't sure of the angle at which to hold it, you might want to watch an instructional video first.

Thanks @Bastet.  I had one of these stove tops before and tried a razor blade like the one you linked. Unfortunately, it still never fully worked for me, so maybe a should find a video as you suggest.

I’m not a fan of most kids’ menus since the haven’t changed much since I was one.  But yesterday, we had our annual Spin of Prosperity dinner at the CN Tower’s revolving restaurant and was happy to see that they kept the same prix fixe kids’ menu they had last year (or at least more or less the same).  My son had roast salmon with mashed potatoes this time (started with a tomato soup.  Dessert was a gigantic cookie.  All five of us (ie us parents and the grandparents) took some!!).  Ate almost all of it.  

• Like 4
(edited)
53 minutes ago, PRgal said:

I’m not a fan of most kids’ menus since the haven’t changed much since I was one.

I haven't paid attention since I don't have or spend time with children, but it's a shame they're still so often awful, and insulting in the notion kids will only eat things like chicken fingers, mac & cheese, grilled cheese, or plain pizzas/burgers.  I hardly ever ordered off one as a kid since the regular menus were so much more interesting, and more like what I ate at home.  I just checked several of my favorite local restaurants and none have a kids menu*, but I checked a few chains at random and it's as you said -- same crap they've been peddling for decades.

Update: I looked up "best kids menu los angeles" and found there are good options around the city.  My favorite article was the one titled "Where to Eat in L.A. When Your Toddler Sucks".

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 3
(edited)
6 hours ago, Bastet said:

I haven't paid attention since I don't have or spend time with children, but it's a shame they're still so often awful, and insulting in the notion kids will only eat things like chicken fingers, mac & cheese, grilled cheese, or plain pizzas/burgers.  I hardly ever ordered off one as a kid since the regular menus were so much more interesting, and more like what I ate at home.  I just checked several of my favorite local restaurants and none have a kids menu*, but I checked a few chains at random and it's as you said -- same crap they've been peddling for decades.

Update: I looked up "best kids menu los angeles" and found there are good options around the city.  My favorite article was the one titled "Where to Eat in L.A. When Your Toddler Sucks".

We had lunch at a reasonably nice/higher end restaurant over the holidays and their skimpy kids’ menu’s pasta offering was just noodles with butter “sauce” and a skimpy sprinkle of Parmesan.  My son picked it since he loves pasta but barely touched it.  Both my husband and I tried a bit and it was awful.  Tasteless and awful.  They didn’t even bother to offer a choice of plain and marinara.  We suggested that our son maybe pick grilled cheese next time.  The salmon my son had was on the kids’ menu.  

Edited by PRgal
On 2/26/2024 at 2:38 AM, PRgal said:

We had lunch at a reasonably nice/higher end restaurant over the holidays and their skimpy kids’ menu’s pasta offering was just noodles with butter “sauce” and a skimpy sprinkle of Parmesan.  My son picked it since he loves pasta but barely touched it.  Both my husband and I tried a bit and it was awful.  Tasteless and awful.  They didn’t even bother to offer a choice of plain and marinara.  We suggested that our son maybe pick grilled cheese next time.  The salmon my son had was on the kids’ menu.  

I'm a bit confused, were the pasta and the salmon two different dishes on the kids' menu, or . . . ? 

You don't need to order off the kid's menu.  When our kids were little they would either order what they wanted for themselves from the regular menu, or we'd share, depending on how big we thought the portions would be.  If there were leftovers, we'd take them home (leftovers were also a normal part of our life - I don't get people who refuse to eat them). 

(I'm happy to be proved wrong, but about the only thing I can think of that can't/shouldn't be eaten for a second meal is sushi, and the nature of ordering sushi means you shouldn't end up with leftovers.)

I'm sure I've told this story before, but my kids once famously tried to order liver and onions and brussels sprouts from the fake kids' menu because they didn't realize it was supposed to be a joke.

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
51 minutes ago, Ancaster said:

I'm a bit confused, were the pasta and the salmon two different dishes on the kids' menu, or . . . ? 

You don't need to order off the kid's menu.  When our kids were little they would either order what they wanted for themselves from the regular menu, or we'd share, depending on how big we thought the portions would be.  If there were leftovers, we'd take them home (leftovers were also a normal part of our life - I don't get people who refuse to eat them). 

(I'm happy to be proved wrong, but about the only thing I can think of that can't/shouldn't be eaten for a second meal is sushi, and the nature of ordering sushi means you shouldn't end up with leftovers.)

I'm sure I've told this story before, but my kids once famously tried to order liver and onions and brussels sprouts from the fake kids' menu because they didn't realize it was supposed to be a joke.

Two different dishes and two different restaurants.   Salmon was from the dinner we had at the CN Tower for our "Spin of Prosperity" meal we have for Lunar New Year.  It's been an ongoing tradition since *I* was little (obviously, we didn't go during the pandemic)!  The buttered pasta was from a brunch we went to between Christmas and New Year.  

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Ancaster said:

(leftovers were also a normal part of our life - I don't get people who refuse to eat them). 

Leftovers mean a meal I don't have to cook, so I think they're fantastic!

• Like 4
  • Applause 3
36 minutes ago, PRgal said:

Two different dishes and two different restaurants.   Salmon was from the dinner we had at the CN Tower for our "Spin of Prosperity" meal we have for Lunar New Year.  It's been an ongoing tradition since *I* was little (obviously, we didn't go during the pandemic)!  The buttered pasta was from a brunch we went to between Christmas and New Year.  

Nice tradition!

I cannot find Wishbone Blue Cheese dressing in my local grocery stores - anybody have a suggestion for a good substitute?  I think I have tried Trader Joe’s and didn’t like it.

2 hours ago, Mittengirl said:

I cannot find Wishbone Blue Cheese dressing in my local grocery stores - anybody have a suggestion for a good substitute?  I think I have tried Trader Joe’s and didn’t like it.

Have you tried Ken's Steak House brand?  It's my go-to brand for any salad dressing & available in many grocery stores. 

• Useful 1
5 hours ago, somethingwicked said:

Have you tried Ken's Steak House brand?  It's my go-to brand for any salad dressing & available in many grocery stores. 

I second the recommendation to give this a try, despite my lack of personal experience -- I make all my salad dressings from scratch other than ranch, for which I use the Hidden Valley seasoning added to mayo, sour cream, and milk (plus some dill or jalapeño sometimes), so I'm far from an expert on bottled dressings, but I've had several Ken's dressings at other people's homes and been happy with them.  (Not specifically the blue cheese, though, as I don't care for it any which way.)

• Like 1

Sorry, no great ideas.  At the moment we have Wish Bone blue cheese dressing in the fridge.  We also like Marie's.  That's the one sold in the refrigerator case near the salad produce. 

• Useful 1

When the pandemic started in 2010 the grocery stores I went to, Safeway, The Fresh Market, Whole Foods, and Giant (Mid-Atlantic chain) closed their salad bars (understandably). Safeway and The Fresh Market never reopened their salad bars. Whole Foods was first, but they had someone dishing out the food while you stood off to the side after telling them what you wanted. Giant was next to open. That is the store I go to most of the time, and I noticed they had closed their salad bar several weeks ago. They still have a very small hot bar - fried chicken and so on. Whole Foods has all their salad/hot food bars open. I happened by a manager at Giant yesterday and asked him about the salad bar. He said it was costing them money. They were throwing out 85% of the food. That's a lot of waste! They still have packaged salads and cut up fruit and veggies.

• Mind Blown 2
  • Sad 1
7 hours ago, chessiegal said:

They were throwing out 85% of the food.

Oh, that just pains me, with millions of people in this country going hungry.

• Sad 3

Calif has "good Samaritan" laws to protect those who donate leftover food from liability & recently enacted laws that require certain large food providers to donate leftovers.  At least they're making an effort.

• Like 5