Type keyword(s) to search

S01E03: Second Second Chance

• Start Topic

Still meh about the show even though I think the 2 leads are doing a lot with the material.

Someone mentioned this show is reminiscent of Psych——which ran for 8 seasons, and then I think had a movie? 
I watched at least the first 5 seasons, but eventually bailed.
At least Psych had a gimmick with Shawn's extra keen powers of observation, honed by his dad. 
And more comedy.

This show seems like another dramedy that isn't sure what it wants to be. 
Or maybe they do know what they want (L&O + family hijinks?) but haven't figured out how to write for it yet.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Still meh about the show even though I think the 2 leads are doing a lot with the material.

Someone mentioned this show is reminiscent of Psych——which ran for 8 seasons, and then I think had a movie? 
I watched at least the first 5 seasons, but eventually bailed.
At least Psych had a gimmick with Shawn's extra keen powers of observation, honed by his dad. 
And more comedy.

This show seems like another dramedy that isn't sure what it wants to be. 
Or maybe they do know what they want (L&O + family hijinks?) but haven't figured out how to write for it yet.

I decided to watch Grey's; came here to see if this was worth watching later. Still not sure...

Clayton James (Chuck Grant)
Thomas Cadrot (Chet)
Lydia Campbell (Kate)
Matthew Sears (Elliot)
Erik Knudsen (Brian McAtee)
Andrew J. Hampton (Derek)
Shawn Richard (Will)
Jeremy Gimenez (Johnny McAtee)
Cruze McKinnon (Danny McAtee)
Paul McGillion (Trevor Rapp)
Julie Howgate (Erica)
Camille Mitchell (Desiree)
Frank Crudele (Jerry)
Bobby L. Dupree (Judge Dupree)
Matt Afonso (Grady Tibbels)
Greg Kean (Ray McAtee)
Karen Khunkhun (Reporter)
Nikki Chohan (Police Officer #1)
Matthew Mandzij (Police Officer #2)
Sarah Hayward (Mrs. Garrison)
so-help-me-todd-episode-3-1068x712.jpg
so-help-me-todd-episode-3b-1068x712.jpg

It was OK, better than last week, but could have been better. I liked the foot cam and I couldn't believe how hard Margaret works for her clients even if they are not paying her. Margaret did better and more detective work than Todd did. They did a good job of making Margaret more likeable.

41 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

There were at least 3 movies, the show and movies are on Peacock.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
16 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I find this show so confusing.

Ray was the one who robbed the pawn shop?  Who the fuck was Ray?  I rewound the entire show trying to find that supposed person they pointed the finger at - when was he introduced?!

Ray was Todd’s friend’s father. He had been in prison but Margaret went to visit him at the trailer park and they drank beer.

I’m still enjoying this as something I don’t have to think about much. It could be better, sure, but I love MGH and she and SA play well off each other, so I’ll keep watching. 

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
35 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I find this show so confusing.

Ray was the one who robbed the pawn shop?  Who the fuck was Ray?  I rewound the entire show trying to find that supposed person they pointed the finger at - when was he introduced?!

Ray was Brian's father; we didn't meet him until fairly late in the episode.  Ray was the robber and Brian was innocent.

Now, my question is: who was the kid, Danny? And how did bad Uncle Ray get hold of him to take him to a robbery and send him through the small opening?

26 minutes ago, Bookworm13 said:

Ray was Todd’s friend’s father. He had been in prison but Margaret went to visit him at the trailer park and they drank beer.

I’m still enjoying this as something I don’t have to think about much. It could be better, sure, but I love MGH and she and SA play well off each other, so I’ll keep watching. 

Oh my god now I do remember.  It was a very small part.  Thanks everyone.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Like 1
13 minutes ago, Trey said:

Ray was Brian's father; we didn't meet him until fairly late in the episode.  Ray was the robber and Brian was innocent.

Now, my question is: who was the kid, Danny? And how did bad Uncle Ray get hold of him to take him to a robbery and send him through the small opening?

Danny was Brian’s uncle’s child. I don’t recall how Ray and Danny originally met, but they were chatting while gaming online. Brian was watching Danny while his uncle was at work(stripper) and after Brian fell asleep, Ray got Danny and he framed Brian by taking his boots and car. Ray told Danny he was helping a friend who had locked himself out and they needed him to shimmy through the heating vent to the inside. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Margaret did better and more detective work than Todd did. 

That was kind of a weird change. Todd is supposed to be the investigator but we had scenes of Margaret sleuthing on her own. I guess the writers feel obliged to give MGH as much material as they can. I noticed she's listed as an executive producer.

I recognized the actor who played Brian as the kid from Continuum. 

• Love 1

I could explain the relationships between the 3 guest-cast men and the child, but no.
The writers didn't do it well enough, so why should I? 

I still flove the idea of a L&O dramedy starting MGH and Skylar Astin, but what is up with these writers???

I will be back next week.

• Like 3

I could explain the relationships between the 3 guest-cast men and the child, but no.
The writers didn't do it well enough, so why should I? 

I wasn't confused. Brian lived with his uncle and his cousin because his father was in prison. What's confusing? The only thing they didn't really explain was how Brian's father managed to connect with his little cousin through online gaming. 

• Like 3
  • Love 2

"Brian" looked like a poor man's Timothee Chalamet (the hair). 

9 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I wasn't confused. Brian lived with his uncle and his cousin because his father was in prison. What's confusing? The only thing they didn't really explain was how Brian's father managed to connect with his little cousin through online gaming. 

Maybe just by talking with the little boy, his nephew, over the telephone. 

6 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:

Maybe just by talking with the little boy, his nephew, over the telephone. 

But the uncle didn't even tell Brian that Ray (his brother and Brian's dad) was out of prison because he was trying to protect Brian. One would think that the uncle would not have allow Ray to have any contact with his own son, Danny. Ray must have sneaked his way to contacting Danny and making him promise to keep quiet to both Brian and the uncle.

Brian went to live with his uncle when he was 12  when Ray went to prison. Ray gets out of prison in the previous year and orchestrates a relationship with Danny through gaming. Ray wanted to frame his own son  and used a child to get that done.  That is downright evil

• Like 5
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Applause 2

Well, I'm late to the episode but figured I'd try once more to see if it holds any additional interest. So far, nope, still have issues with many of the characters and the writing.

So, of course we're already getting the "YOU TWO ARE SO CUTE" stuff from Todd and his ex. And, duh, Todd didn't read the e-vite so surprise! He didn't realize it was a baby shower! Silly Todd....or something. 

I did recognize Erik Knudsen from Continuum, so glad to see him around here as Brian. Confusing plot, though.

I do like Margaret and I like the sister, but that's about it. Everyone else kind of annoys me.  

• Like 1

I'm still liking this though obviously Todd and Margaret are not perfect characters

There is definitely something up with the third sibling given his spouse shows up at family get-togethers while the brother does not

• Like 2
1 hour ago, DanaK said:

There is definitely something up with the third sibling given his spouse shows up at family get-togethers while the brother does not

During the pilot, I thought "ok you haven't cast the third sibling yet. That's fine, it's a pilot, there's still some time, maybe they just want to get the casting right or they're waiting for a specific actor to be available." 

But it's episode three and there's been mentions of their brother every episode thus far. Are they REALLY having issues casting him? How long are they going to have his husband but not him show up?

• Love 1
40 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

During the pilot, I thought "ok you haven't cast the third sibling yet. That's fine, it's a pilot, there's still some time, maybe they just want to get the casting right or they're waiting for a specific actor to be available." 

But it's episode three and there's been mentions of their brother every episode thus far. Are they REALLY having issues casting him? How long are they going to have his husband but not him show up?

I kind of suspected from the beginning that the husband is hiding something about the brother, like the guy took off or is dead. I suspect they want it to be a mystery rather than it being a casting problem

• Like 1
1 hour ago, DanaK said:

I kind of suspected from the beginning that the husband is hiding something about the brother, like the guy took off or is dead. I suspect they want it to be a mystery rather than it being a casting problem

Or, maybe it started out as a casting/availability problem, and they decided to go with the mystery.
And/or maybe it will just turn out the brother is in rehab.

37 minutes ago, Grrarrggh said:

So far the only thing I don't like is Todd's bullying of his co-worker Lyle. That's just sickening and makes it really hard to empathise with Todd at all.

OMG, yes. Although doesn't Lyle give as much as he gets? They're like squabbling siblings. 

After watching the next episode:

Spoiler

Hopefully they will bond over their seemingly mutual love of superheroes and Star Trek and fantasy and such.

• Like 1
19 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

OMG, yes. Although doesn't Lyle give as much as he gets? They're like squabbling siblings. 

Reveal spoiler

Hopefully they will bond over their seemingly mutual love of superheroes and Star Trek and fantasy and such.

Give as much, seriously? You mean by doing his job? Not spending company money on personal items? Choosing to not have food in his office and turning the cheek when one of the lawyer's ne'er-do-well sons decides to host a food-based party in said office? That's only squabbling siblings if those one siblings is an abusive, entitled a-hole. And that sibling is the one that isn't Lyle. 

On 10/20/2022 at 2:51 PM, shapeshifter said:

Or, maybe it started out as a casting/availability problem, and they decided to go with the mystery.
And/or maybe it will just turn out the brother is in rehab.

Maybe in witness protection, so Tood has to first solve the crime that is putting his brother in danger and then has to figure out where his brother is hiding out.

• Applause 1
On 10/22/2022 at 6:18 PM, Grrarrggh said:

Give as much, seriously? You mean by doing his job? Not spending company money on personal items? Choosing to not have food in his office and turning the cheek when one of the lawyer's ne'er-do-well sons decides to host a food-based party in said office? That's only squabbling siblings if those one siblings is an abusive, entitled a-hole. And that sibling is the one that isn't Lyle. 

Lyle needs to unbend a bit.  🥳

This bothered me throughout the episode, but isn't Bryan older than he was portrayed?  His uncle kept saying "I have to take care of the kids" and there was mention of a juvenile record, but Bryan was in 4th grade with Todd and isn't Todd in his 30s?  I think Bryan was supposed to be a younger character but they needed a connection between him and Todd.  Why was his uncle solely responsible for Bryan to the point the he didn't tell his 30 something nephew that his father was out of prison?  At this point, his uncle should have already had Bryan move out and be on his own, but everyone kept acting like he was "just a kid" or something.  It just never made sense to me.

22 minutes ago, Jillybean said:

Did anyone else notice that Dr. Phil was in the credits as a producer of this episode? What the heck?

Ack!😲 imdb.com/title/tt21662024/fullcredits/?ref_=tt_cl_sm

And not just this episode! 😵 See also: imdb.com/title/tt21318366/fullcredits/?ref_=tt_cl_sm

Dr. Phil also produced "Bull."
On both shows, IMDb lists him as an "executive producer," which Wikipedia describes/defines as:

In television, an executive producer usually supervises the creative content, plans and schedules the filming with the producer and team and may be involved in the financial budgeting of a production. Some writers, like Aaron Sorkin, Stephen J. Cannell, Tina Fey, and Ryan Murphy, have worked as both the creator and the producer of the same show.[8] In the case of multiple executive producers on a television show, the one outranking the others on a day-to-day basis is called the showrunner,[9] or the leading executive producer.wikipedia.org/wiki/Executive_producer#Television

• Sad 1